Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GerryL wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:30 pm A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on my patio and spotted an unusual bird hopping between the shrubs. It was black and had a crest. I kept staring to capture it in my mind, and when I went back inside I searched online. The only match I could find was a phainopepla, and the images are exactly what I saw, at a distance, granted. But I'm in the Pacific Northwest, out of range for this bird. Maybe that's why I'd never seen one before and have not seen it since.

Has anyone else seen a phainopepla this far north?
If you look at the "sightings" section for this species on the Cornell lab site, people see them in the NW including near Seattle.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Pha ... -sightings

I don't see them in my state. Nice looking bird. :happy
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Just had the pleasure of viewing three of these male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at our feeder.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TnGuy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:21 pm Image

Just had the pleasure of viewing three of these male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at our feeder.

David
Nice!
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

TnGuy wrote: Image

Now that's a handsome bird 8-)
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

Gila woodpeckers are stealing the humming birds' food; worse, a "horny" male whacks on our chimney cap at 4:45ish AM!
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hES6y7JDdlM

story of the hummingbird nest that was attacked by Kestrel...

With a happy ending !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

House Wrens arrived last night and are all signing away here in NJ
Carolina Wren seems to stick around all winter...or likes to sing when it is cold out

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Wren/overview
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

South of Salisbury, Wicomico/Worcester County - Bear Swamp area

American Crow
American Redstart
American Robin
Black-and-white Warbler
Blue Jay
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Blue-headed Vireo
Brown-headed Cowbird
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Chipping Sparrow
Common Yellowthroat
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Towhee
Gray Catbird
Great Crested Flycatcher
Hooded Warbler
Indigo Bunting
Kentucky Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Parula
Ovenbird
Pileated Woodpecker
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-eyed Vireo
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-shouldered Hawk
Scarlet Tanager
Summer Tanager
Tufted Titmouse
Turkey Vulture
White-eyed Vireo
White-throated Sparrow
Wild Turkey
Wood Thrush
Worm-eating Warbler
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Yellow-breasted Chat
Yellow-throated Vireo
Yellow-throated Warbler
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

TierArtz wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:48 am Gila woodpeckers are stealing the humming birds' food; worse, a "horny" male whacks on our chimney cap at 4:45ish AM!
Heeheee.

Most I ever had was a crazy robin who saw his reflection in my bedroom window and would attack,. It would knock itself out daily.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I haven't seen too many birds lately.
I just emptied the last bag of bird seed.
Not sure I will be opening the new bag.
I seem to mostly feeding squirrels and an unknown animal that comes out at night.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nyc10036 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:16 pm I haven't seen too many birds lately.
I seem to mostly feeding squirrels and an unknown animal that comes out at night.
You may want to review this BH post on squirrels and bird feeders FYI. Some good tips, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=328382&hilit=squirrel
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm
You may want to review this BH post on squirrels and bird feeders FYI. Some good tips, etc.

Also, you might try talking to a local birding store who might suggest trying different food or feeder types for your location. The staff in my local birding stores are very helpful.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Yesterday I saw a black (Eastern) rat snake eat two mourning dove hatchlings out of the nest. It was a very persistent snake. Good problem solving skills.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:37 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Also, you might try talking to a local birding store who might suggest trying different food or feeder types for your location. The staff in my local birding stores are very helpful.
I saw birds during the colder months but not so much now.
I usually feed them black oil sunflower seeds.
I guess now that it is spring they found other food sources?

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^Nyc10036:

Insects are hatching so many birds are eating those. Here are a couple sources for feeding different types of birds with different feeders and food, in different seasons.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/how- ... rd-feeder/

https://www.audubon.org/news/11-tips-fe ... yard-birds
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 pm ^Nyc10036:

Insects are hatching so many birds are eating those. Here are a couple sources for feeding different types of birds with different feeders and food, in different seasons.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/how- ... rd-feeder/

https://www.audubon.org/news/11-tips-fe ... yard-birds
Thanks I will try to switch it up a bit.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:41 pm Yesterday I saw a black (Eastern) rat snake eat two mourning dove hatchlings out of the nest. It was a very persistent snake. Good problem solving skills.
Couple of years ago we had a huge one figure out how to rear back and reach over the snake guard and into the Wood Duck house. Snake had to be at least 6 feet long and as think as my arm. Have seen them climb a large red oak tree as well. On the other hand, I have also seen a snake carcass left by a Red Fox
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Evening Grosbeaks have been back here in MT for about 2 weeks, Tree Swallows & Turkey Vultures
for about a week.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

a few winters ago, in the evening, I was coming home from work - no wind, not a sound outside. Then a squeaking metallic noise, almost like something being chewed.
Went in the house and got a flashlight - there was a flying squirrel on the feeder. She/He just looked at me (huge eyes), shrugged and went back to working on the feeder.

Haven't seen it since...
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

jebmke wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:31 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:41 pm Yesterday I saw a black (Eastern) rat snake eat two mourning dove hatchlings out of the nest. It was a very persistent snake. Good problem solving skills.
Couple of years ago we had a huge one figure out how to rear back and reach over the snake guard and into the Wood Duck house. Snake had to be at least 6 feet long and as think as my arm. Have seen them climb a large red oak tree as well. On the other hand, I have also seen a snake carcass left by a Red Fox
a few springs ago for me, but had a Northern Harrier grab Black Rat snake and fly off with it in its talons
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

GG1273 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:51 pm a few springs ago for me, but had a Northern Harrier grab Black Rat snake and fly off with it in its talons
I love Harriers - we have them regularly in this area in the winter down in the marshlands. Harriers and Short-Eared Owls patrol the marshes in the late afternoon especially.

Raptors are killing machines. We have a pair of Great Horned Owls. These are ruthless birds - have been known to take a porcupine.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

At least the birds win one every now and then!
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

You may have raccoons raiding your feeders. Deer are also great raiders. I had 4 raccoons raiding my feeders last year. Lead poisoning solved the problem.

DMW
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Yesterday I saw a black (Eastern) rat snake eat two mourning dove hatchlings out of the nest. It was a very persistent snake. Good problem solving skills.
LOL! :D
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Miriam2 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:00 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Yesterday I saw a black (Eastern) rat snake eat two mourning dove hatchlings out of the nest. It was a very persistent snake. Good problem solving skills.
Seriously, though. It had identified the exact location of the nest (which I wasn't even aware existed) from the ground. It tried climbing the tree directly several times, and gave up (or so I thought). Then it went away from the base of the tree and climbed the crevice between the aluminum gutter downspout and the corner board up to the roof of the house, and then extended itself into the branches of the tree. Then it stalked the nest and had a meal. I felt bad for the adult bird (and the hatchlings they were swallowed whole). I thought the mother would fight harder, but it was no contest.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:
Seriously, though. It had identified the exact location of the nest (which I wasn't even aware existed) from the ground. It tried climbing the tree directly several times, and gave up (or so I thought). Then it went away from the base of the tree and climbed the crevice between the aluminum gutter downspout and the corner board up to the roof of the house, and then extended itself into the branches of the tree. Then it stalked the nest and had a meal. I felt bad for the adult bird (and the hatchlings they were swallowed whole). I thought the mother would fight harder, but it was no contest.
Yikes! That's quite remarkable. I hope our Florida invasive 18-ft Burmese Pythons don't have such problem solving skills :shock: :shock:
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Would be a bit trickier for them to sneak up on a songbird nest in broad daylight.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Bird migration - "lights out alert" - check your area here (Audubon alert):

**Turning your lights out over the next few nights will help with bird migration**

https://aeroecolab.com/uslights
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

Lots of goldfinches at the birdfeeder last few days.

Trying a mix of sunflower and thistle seeds. Less larger birds (cardinals, blue jays) but the advantage is they don’t empty the feeder every day.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Saw my first indigo bunting yesterday and some cliff swallows. Here is a phone pic of one of the swallows severely cropped.

For folks in Southeast Texas, here is a guide of the birds seen at the Kleb Woods Nature Preserve over the years and the times of the year they were seen: https://www.pct3.com/Portals/45/Documen ... dition.pdf I'm sure you will see many of them in your neck of SE Texas, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Two crows were near my feeder this morning. This isn't a major news event, but they haven't come this close to my house in a very long time.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Speaking of crows -- When I got back home from my morning walk, both cats were in the house even though DW had opened the door for them. She said soon after they were let out, earlier than normal, a murder of crows showed up and started a gaggle in a tree, to which the cats dashed back inside.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Stopped by the Delaware Water Gap NP yesterday and got 71 species - including Barred Owl calling from deep in the woods.
Highlights were the returning Cerulean Warblers, Black&White Warblers, Worm Eating, Black Throated Green, Northern Parula and Prairie Warblers (14 warbler species in all). Rose Breasted Grosbeaks were singing in a few different spots. Parula's are stunning but have only gotten a few close up looks over the years, very distinctive song (as with the others mentioned).

Also, had a very cool looking Eastern Milk Snake sunning on the side of the Millbrook Village parking lot. I did have to look that one up - photos I took showed the distinctive Y shape just behind the head.

New Hampshire wildlife link had picture of one similar to what I saw

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/wildli ... snake.html

Water Gap and associated State parks on both sides of the river in NJ and PA are 70,000 acres.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Had lunch with some friends in the mountains a few days ago. Afterward, sitting on their covered porch, while the afternoon sun warmed our toes, saw a small, dark bird with white patches on its cheeks, working up and down a tree trunk. Looking through their bird book, believe it was a Tree Swallow.

Didn't think about taking a picture until later. This is a generic image.

See Tree Swallow: https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+swallow&tbm=isch
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

dratkinson wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:15 am Had lunch with some friends in the mountains a few days ago. Afterward, sitting on their covered porch, while the afternoon sun warmed our toes, saw a small, dark bird with white patches on its cheeks, working up and down a tree trunk. Looking through their bird book, believe it was a Tree Swallow.

Didn't think about taking a picture until later. This is a generic image.

See Tree Swallow: https://www.google.com/search?q=tree+swallow&tbm=isch
Tree Swallows tend to fly around a lot - they fly catch insects and chatter vocally quite a bit. They are set up as the most likely "neighbor" to Bluebirds when you see the 2 nest boxes close to one another. The swallows won't nest side by side so the Bluebirds tend to use the 2nd box.

These guys tend to go up and down (one of the few that can) tree trunks, have a white face patch and are in Colorado
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Whi ... uthatch/id#
The web page has a couple of other nuthatches (Red Breasted / Pygmy) to check out
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GG1273 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:47 pm Stopped by the Delaware Water Gap NP yesterday and got 71 species - including Barred Owl calling from deep in the woods.
Highlights were the returning Cerulean Warblers, Black&White Warblers, Worm Eating, Black Throated Green, Northern Parula and Prairie Warblers (14 warbler species in all). Rose Breasted Grosbeaks were singing in a few different spots. Parula's are stunning but have only gotten a few close up looks over the years, very distinctive song (as with the others mentioned).

Also, had a very cool looking Eastern Milk Snake sunning on the side of the Millbrook Village parking lot. I did have to look that one up - photos I took showed the distinctive Y shape just behind the head.

New Hampshire wildlife link had picture of one similar to what I saw

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/wildli ... snake.html

Water Gap and associated State parks on both sides of the river in NJ and PA are 70,000 acres.
Quite a list! The Northern Parula is a beautiful bird. That snake looks pretty scary but the link says it isn't dangerous. :beer
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

We've had cardinals, gold finches, robins, and downy woodpeckers regularly.
In the past week we had a meadowlark and a red breasted grosbeak. We think these may have passed through on their way north, because we saw them only once. Maybe they didn't like the feed selection. We'll check with the seed store. We have few mature trees in the immediate area.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:10 am... That snake looks pretty scary but the link says it isn't dangerous. :beer
We can post snake pics now? Here's one of three poisonous snakes that I've seen very recently. The video is better, but this is just a frame grabbed from it.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Red on yellow, kill a fellow....

The milk snake looks enough like a copperhead that it would be in danger where I live!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:10 am... That snake looks pretty scary but the link says it isn't dangerous. :beer
We can post snake pics now? Here's one of three poisonous snakes that I've seen very recently. The video is better, but this is just a frame grabbed from it.

That's a scary looking one!

Well, snakes fascinate me but I do feel scared when I see an occasional rattlesnake. :shock:

I'm not afraid of garter snakes but bull snakes can look scary because they're quite large but not poisonous.
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

Orioles, Grosbeaks and hummingbirds showed up in the last week or two. We have a pretty wide assortment on a daily basis. 5-6 kinds of woodpeckers, mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays, grackles, sparrows, finches.

Seems like it's time for me to trap and relocate some raccoons again. I don't mind if they eat some food from the feeders in the yard. When they come on the deck and destroy feeders, I get annoyed. I trapped 6 last year in less than a month.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

flyfishers83 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 am Orioles, Grosbeaks and hummingbirds showed up in the last week or two. We have a pretty wide assortment on a daily basis. 5-6 kinds of woodpeckers, mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays, grackles, sparrows, finches.

Seems like it's time for me to trap and relocate some raccoons again. I don't mind if they eat some food from the feeders in the yard. When they come on the deck and destroy feeders, I get annoyed. I trapped 6 last year in less than a month.
Wow! Nice list of birds but that sure is a large number of raccoons that you relocated within a month. Good for you! :beer
flyninjasquirrel

Post by flyninjasquirrel »

Mostly robins, cardinals, mourning doves, Carolina chickadees, mockingbirds, wrens around our house in NC.

Our trip to the mountains (Linville Gorge) a couple of weeks ago spotted pine warbler, black and white warbler, black throated green warbler, dark eyed junco, red tailed hawk among others.

Being new to birding the Merlin Bird ID app by Cornell has been awesome!
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:31 am
flyfishers83 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 am Orioles, Grosbeaks and hummingbirds showed up in the last week or two. We have a pretty wide assortment on a daily basis. 5-6 kinds of woodpeckers, mourning doves, cardinals, blue jays, grackles, sparrows, finches.

Wow! Nice list of birds but that sure is a large number of raccoons that you relocated within a month. Good for you! :beer
I left a few off-titmouse, nuthatches, red winged blackbirds and a bunch more. We have 10 feeders out right now. Several are right outside the kitchen windows-both my 20 month old and 2 cats really like sitting there and "watching" the birds. We also have swallows-they're neat, but they want to nest on the spotlight above our garage and above a high electrical outlet on our front porch- they will really swoop at your head. Also had 25 bats living under our deck last year. We've got a good mix of woods behind the house and open area with a golf course and large lake surrounded by thousands of acres of rural area-crops, woods, fields, creeks, etc.
agbp

Post by agbp »

livesoft wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am

Coral snake?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

agbp wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:05 pmCoral snake?
Yes, a really healthy beautiful almost 3 foot long coral snake. I came across another one a few miles away the next day. Around us copperheads and cottonmouths are much more common. I haven't seen a rattlesnake close to home yet, but a few out backpacking. Many more non-poisonous snakes, such as this water snake:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

retiredjg wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:35 am Red on yellow, kill a fellow....

The milk snake looks enough like a copperhead that it would be in danger where I live!
The way I heard it: "Red touches yellow, he's a killing fellow. Red touches black, killing lack."

I saw a cute garter snake sunning himself near my driveway last week.

(If desired, I can split these posts into a new thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 pm...
The way I heard it: "Red touches yellow, he's a killing fellow. Red touches black, killing lack."
I was taught growing up in '60s Arkansas: "Red and yellow, kill a fellow. Red and black, nice to Jack."
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Just to give y'all something to compare to, here is a low-res pic of a non-poisonous California mountain kingsnake that I came across:

This should be my last snake pic post -- I do not need another thread of snake pics myself.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

livesoft wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:48 pm Just to give y'all something to compare to, here is a low-res pic of a non-poisonous California mountain kingsnake that I came across:

This should be my last snake pic post -- I do not need another thread of snake pics myself.
Very cool! I like the various colors.