Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fposte

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by fposte »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:07 pm
fposte wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:23 pm
fposte wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:08 pm I just went kayaking on a local lake. There were plenty of Canada geese, of course, and I always love seeing the great blue herons since they're not exactly an in-town sight. However, the really enjoyable view was the little sandy swimming beach, populated entirely by Canada geese and quite a few vultures, which were stretching their wings out to take in the sun. A very different take on the beach bum!
Nice! I wonder if the birds stretching were cormorants? They tend to do that.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Gre ... e/66027241
Oh, interesting; thanks for the suggestion. I don't think we have great cormorants here but apparently we do have double cresteds, back in numbers after being rare. I'm still leaning toward vultures in horaltic pose because there seemed to be much less neck. but I really should have had binoculars. I'm very bird-naïve so I was intrigued to see it, whichever species it was. I'll check more closely if I go back!
Interesting - I didn't know about the "horaltic pose" and rarely see vultures so don't know much about their behaviors. Great wing span! :beer
I just checked eBird and both species are reported on this lake (and by the same person, so presumably not just people calling the same bird different things). So the mystery continues.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Candor wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:05 pm
WoodSpinner wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:01 pm Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron catching a Crayfish....
Colusa NWR, California
Nikon D7500, 300mm F4.0, 1/2000 F5.6
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bla ... ight-Heron

Not Just a WoodSpinner, :D
Great shot! This is actually an American Bittern though.
Interesting…. I have been wrong before. Is there a way to tell for sure? They both look similar to my eye.

**I think you are right! Sent the photo off to some birding friends and they agree with your ID!

So much to learn!

Good news is, I have a new bird for my list!

Thanks

WoodSpinner
Last edited by WoodSpinner on Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodSpinner
Candor

Post by Candor »

WoodSpinner wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:43 pm
Candor wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:05 pm
WoodSpinner wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:01 pm Juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron catching a Crayfish....
Colusa NWR, California
Nikon D7500, 300mm F4.0, 1/2000 F5.6
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bla ... ight-Heron

Not Just a WoodSpinner, :D
Great shot! This is actually an American Bittern though.
Interesting…. I have been wrong before. Is there a way to tell for sure? They both look similar to my eye.

Thanks

WoodSpinner
They are quite similar but the BCNH has a thicker bill and juvies have white spots on their plumage with orange eyes.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

This Great Blue Heron, who lives in NYC Central Park, was applauded for helping to clean up the rat population in NYC (and someone suggested he should be the new Mayor) The video was posted on The Manhattan Bird Alert - "Your Soothing Source for Nature Photos" - twitter account :D

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/09/0 ... kg-vpx.cnn
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

Went out for a bird walk in Central Oregon over the weekend, and spotted roughly 35 species (including an American Bittern, which is a significant rarity in the area, especially at this time).

But the real highlight was finding a Great Gray Owl, which we were able to watch for maybe 45 minutes hunting along a marsh from an adjacent pine forest. In a year or two, we will be moving to that area permanently, and the hunt for the elusive Great Gray was planned to be one of my major retirement goals. I guess I'm now officially way ahead of schedule...

Huge and spectacular (NOT my pic, just an example).

Allixi

Post by Allixi »

More grainy low-res Iphone photos from my back porch.
I recently switched to bird seed with capsaicin, since squirrels finally discovered the feeder. It attracts a lot of cardinals, sparrows, and finches, I don’t think those are worth sharing. Some more interesting birds below:

Took me a while to identify, but I’m pretty sure this is a brown thrasher.

Ducks at the local pond/fountain. The black/white ones are rarely seen.

Blue jay - not sure if this was the same one with a broken leg, now healed, or a different blue jay.

Tufted titmouse

Hummingbird 1 that had been monopolizing the feeder for a month. Basically perches just outside the backdoor all day long, and aggressively chases away all other hummingbirds.

Eastern bluebird - I just really like the color in this picture.

Hummingbird 2, took over the feeder from hummingbird 1. Also perches nearby all day.

I can’t identify this bird. It looks like a finch but is way too big - the size of a cardinal. Maybe a cowbird?
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Allixi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 pm stuff deleted

Hummingbird 1 that had been monopolizing the feeder for a month. Basically perches just outside the backdoor all day long, and aggressively chases away all other hummingbirds.

stuff deleted
Hummingbirds are very feisty! We've had three to four at our feeder, but never at the exact same time. Here are a couple duking it out near the feeder:

If they would just get along, they wouldn't have to spend so much energy chasing each other off!

Small technical note; I had a shutter speed of 1/2000 of a second and you can still see a lot of motion blur in the wings. Those guys do everything fast.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Allixi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 pm
stuff deleted

I can’t identify this bird. It looks like a finch but is way too big - the size of a cardinal. Maybe a cowbird?
It's hard to tell for sure, but that very well could be a female cowbird.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

TN_Boy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:26 am

stuff deleted
Hummingbirds are very feisty! We've had three to four at our feeder, but never at the exact same time. Here are a couple duking it out near the feeder:

If they would just get along, they wouldn't have to spend so much energy chasing each other off!

Small technical note; I had a shutter speed of 1/2000 of a second and you can still see a lot of motion blur in the wings. Those guys do everything fast.
I love watching these guys. They have been tearing my feeders up the past week. There must be a lot of travelers headed south passing thru. Its been a full time job keeping the feeders filled up. Truly magical creatures.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Vtsax100 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:40 am

stuff deleted

I love watching these guys. They have been tearing my feeders up the past week. There must be a lot of travelers headed south passing thru. Its been a full time job keeping the feeders filled up. Truly magical creatures.
They are entertaining. As Allixi says, they will perch over by the feeder for hours, constantly turning their heads to look in all directions, as they scan for intruders. Surprisingly loud too; you can hear them chirping from a distance.

We've had them for several months; they were active all summer here. We only have Ruby-throated hummingbirds in my area.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

A Social Hour tonight at a new condo building. There are lots of trees and a pond on the property. A Bald Eagle flew into the area! Just amazed! Lots of excitement in the group. Sadly no pictures.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

stuff deleted

Beautiful hummer pic!

thanks!
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Green Heron on the dock; hummers sucking up the high-test food (3:1). Both will be gone soon.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 »

Took some decent pictures today with my smartphone-monocular setup at a nearby forest preserve (Chicago area). Still learning to ID Fall warblers.

Palm Warbler

Yellow-throated Vireo

Blackpoll Warbler (I think)

Tennessee Warbler (I think)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Cattle Egrets still assembling at nearby farm. For some reason they mass here in the fall prior to migrating south.

Baltimore Oriole female hanging around the yard yesterday. Will be gone soon. Orchard Orioles have already left.

Hummers are still hanging in here. Will be warm next week so they will stick around as long as the food is available.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Saw three bald eagles last weekend while kayaking on the Hudson River near Rhinebeck. Amazing! Then another adult and juvenile, when walking along the Ashokan Reservoir. At home, hummers also still active here but not for much longer. The goldfinches are busily feeding on my sunflowers and echinacea. And cedar waxwings, high up in the black cherry trees. I love this time of year.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

also saw two eagles flying very low ~ 50 feet over our pond with BUNCH of mallards and geese.
had my iPhone set on video because I was positive he was looking for a likely duck for lunch....

never happened, I thought Christ eagle that is easy pickings.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

In the last couple of weeks:

Blue Jay
7-8 Cooper’s Hawks
Great Blue Heron
Downy Woodpecker
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Green-tailed Towhee
Great Horned Owl
Broad-tailed Hummingbirds
Many of the other usual suspects :happy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Hummers coming later in the morning vs at dawn.
Cooler morning temperatures in the 50's might be the reason.
Maybe some are already heading south?

Got to be a nice routine. :D :D
Having breakfast at the kitchen window, watching the hummers on the kitchen porch feeders.

f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4H8hQyDcio

this came in to email from Cornell labs, Barred Owl nest cam.
Looks like mom and dad just throw birds, mice etc in, they never showed the mom feeding the baby's??????
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:23 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4H8hQyDcio

this came in to email from Cornell labs, Barred Owl nest cam.
Looks like mom and dad just throw birds, mice etc in, they never showed the mom feeding the baby's??????
Really cool (even though I can't watch some of the "dining" activity LOL).
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58l2wS4qUZo
this was like the next video after the barred owls.
First project I do when I get back from snow birding...

DYI Hummer or any bird solar water fountain.

Pretty cool.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

AHHHHHHHH has all bird watching stopped???????????????????????????????????????????????????? :oops:

Golfing yesterday at Pax River and we are on 11th tee, look up and there are LOTS of possible eagles, (old eyes couldn't tell) flapping as eagles do vise buzzards/vultures. it was a very overcast day so white tails/heads were not standing out :twisted: Also have many eagles in our creek just off Patuxent and now that Osprey are gone, they are more free ranging ;-) Saw one go down for a fish and then another eagle came fighting for it....
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ f35phixer is referring to Patuxent River in MD. Most likely the Naval Air Station called "Pax River". I visited there many years ago.

Nothing much has changed in my neck of the woods.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

The hummingbirds migrated a few weeks ago so that was a bit sad. :(

I have seen a few "new" birds lately: Dark-eyed Juncos (Oregon), a Belted Kingfisher and also a very large number of Blue Jays the last 5-6 weeks. A few weeks ago I had 2 separate Great Horned Owl sightings after dusk and yesterday had a Cooper's Hawk fly over my head (about 20 feet above me) which was cool. Also a couple close Red-tailed Hawk sightings.

Otherwise, I found a great webcam showing the Mississippi Flyway: many pelicans, bald eagles, Sandhill Cranes, etc.

Some of you might enjoy it (and scroll back if there's no activity). It's very active now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH0VmRsj05c

Mississippi River Flyway Cam - LIVE

The Raptor Resource Project has established a new bird cam on an island in the heart of the Mississippi River’s Driftless area. Located in the Upper Mississippi National Fish and Wildlife Refuge on Lake Onalaska, the Mississippi River Flyway Cam will offer an unparalleled look at migrating birds and river wildlife, including bald eagles, American white pelicans, sandhill cranes, Caspian terns, cormorants, and many species of ducks, gulls, and other waterfowl. The camera project was completed with help from the Upper Mississippi National Fish and Wildlife Refuge, the Brice Prairie Conservation Association, Riverland Energy Co-Op, and Explore.org. Volunteers helped ferry people and supplies to and from the island, erect two utility poles, and install solar panels, a power supply, and the camera assembly and radios. From start to finish, the project took a total of eight long days over a period of 2 months.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

f35phixer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 pm AHHHHHHHH has all bird watching stopped???????????????????????????????????????????????????? :oops:
This morning's walk -- 3 Night Herons, 2 Green Herons, 1 Great Blue Heron, 2 Hawks, some Great White Egrits, 1 Snowy Egrit, City Geese, Couts, and ducks up the wazo, 2 Ravens having their breakfast at McD's and telling the world about it, some Killdeer, and lots of Sparrows. I did not see, but as I was leaving the house, I could hear a Murder of Crows. If it's the usual Murder group in our neighborhood, its 25+. Missing were Mr Blue Jay, some kind of dive bombing fishing birds that were real frequent until just a couple of weeks ago, also the swallows, which I assume have headed south already. On Friday on the way to visit my Dad, I saw three chevrons of migrating geese near the Livermore Airport.

It was cool here (to us) this morning at 50 and the Night Herons were all puffed up.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

f35phixer wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 pm AHHHHHHHH has all bird watching stopped???????????????????????????????????????????????????? :oops:

Golfing yesterday at Pax River and we are on 11th tee, look up and there are LOTS of possible eagles, (old eyes couldn't tell) flapping as eagles do vise buzzards/vultures. it was a very overcast day so white tails/heads were not standing out :twisted: Also have many eagles in our creek just off Patuxent and now that Osprey are gone, they are more free ranging ;-) Saw one go down for a fish and then another eagle came fighting for it....
Eagles are starting to get organized in a few weeks. In December, up at Conowingo you can see anywhere from 100-200 in one spot; mixed in with a few thousand gulls and a few hundred Cormorants. Must be some kind of convention that time of year. When the river is running and they have the turbines running, chopped fish come flying down the spillway and the birds wait for fresh eats.

Migrating Canada Geese are starting to drift in. Not in big number; haven't seen the huge Vs up high yet. Still transition period with warm weather.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

Have had large flocks of cedar waxwings congregating in the wild black cherry trees, day after day, this autumn. Adults and juveniles. The trees are fruiting very heavily this year. Have never seen so many at a time before. A real treat; they are such beautiful birds!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

37 degrees on the back porch this morning.
The "Hummers" have largely disappeared over the past several weeks as the air chills with Autumn.
One a day on the feeders at most.
Shucks. . . .

My brother on the high mountain slopes of the Big Island, in Hawaii, took these pictures from his back porch.
Wild Turkeys.
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

Surprisingly, after the hummingbirds departed - I have seen very few birds on my feeders,

My Nyjer feeders have essentially remained untouched (so I cleaned and sanitized them) and still very little activity.

On my Brome Squirrel Buster with mixed seeds, I am getting some nuthatches, chickadees and sparrows but no cardinals, bluejays, or woodpeckers. In past years, I would need to fill the feeders about every 4 days.

I am in central New Jersey - wondering if any one else is experience decrease bird visits.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

stickman731 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:43 am
I am in central New Jersey - wondering if any one else is experience decrease bird visits.
It has been a warm early fall and there is still a lot of natural food available. I noticed at Bombay Hook last week that there was a bumper crop of wild thistle and it was covered in Goldfinches and sparrows.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, I'm experiencing decreased bird visits. I just topped off my feeders, but it was more than a few days to wait for them to empty out.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

It’s great to see some activity in this enjoyable thread!

Bird sightings in my area have dropped markedly in the last two weeks as the weather changes. Two weeks ago I was enjoying the non-stop activity of the hummingbirds on multiple feeders and the goldfinches splashing in the bird bath and feeding while standing/swaying on top of coneflower seed heads. Even the year round birds (robins, cardinals, blue jays and song sparrows) have been scarce. I guess they are all preparing for winter like the very busy chipmunks and squirrels in my yard. The hawks are out in full force! The owls (barred owl, great horned owl and screech owl) at night are still hooting away late at night but I have yet to catch a glimpse of one.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

HomeStretch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:06 am The owls (barred owl, great horned owl and screech owl) at night are still hooting away late at night but I have yet to catch a glimpse of one.
This is the time of year when owls start sounding off a lot more. We have a pair of GHOs; for some reason, one of them likes to drop down in the back yard in late afternoon/evening and run around on the ground looking for food. When the weather is damp, we do get frogs coming up from the creek into the back yard so it may be hunting frogs.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

jebmke wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Eagles are starting to get organized in a few weeks. In December, up at Conowingo you can see anywhere from 100-200 in one spot; mixed in with a few thousand gulls and a few hundred Cormorants. Must be some kind of convention that time of year. When the river is running and they have the turbines running, chopped fish come flying down the spillway and the birds wait for fresh eats.

Migrating Canada Geese are starting to drift in. Not in big number; haven't seen the huge Vs up high yet. Still transition period with warm weather.
Well, jbe that sounds like a good excuse to get up to Conowingo, never been there.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Hummingbirds seem gone from our area.

Seeing plenty of Red-shouldered Hawks; saw one lunching on a crayfish a couple of days ago.

Lots of Killdeer activity; we hear lots of them flying around calling at night now.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

sevenseas wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:44 pm Have had large flocks of cedar waxwings congregating in the wild black cherry trees, day after day, this autumn. Adults and juveniles. The trees are fruiting very heavily this year. Have never seen so many at a time before. A real treat; they are such beautiful birds!
Awesome! I love Cedar Waxwings. :beer
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

A lot of the "hoppers" are gone with the change of season and cold temperatures.
Less food so many birds are gone as well.
Candor

Post by Candor »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:31 am
jebmke wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Well, jbe that sounds like a good excuse to get up to Conowingo, never been there.
Conowingo is a great place to see eagles on the East Coast. It can be a bit hit and miss but there is often a lot of activity in the fall. They are especially fun to watch when they are fighting over a fish. I have been making a trip every year for over 10 years and I'm rarely disappointed.

The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
agbp

Post by agbp »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am A lot of the "hoppers" are gone with the change of season and cold temperatures.
Less food so many birds are gone as well.
Took me a minute to see that the hopper is sitting on your (I presume) glove. :)
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I've seen a couple Downy Woodpeckers recently. They love suet. :beer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:24 pm I've seen a couple Downy Woodpeckers recently. They love suet. :beer
yeah; they really do. Once our weather turns to fall weather I plan to get my suet back up. Pulls in the Downy's and Nuthatches. We have a pair of Piliated WPs but they pretty much stay up in the Oak canopy. Great bird though.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Not seen, but my backyard Great Horned Owl has been hooting away for the past several nights. He's a bit further away from me than last year, but it's him.

To me, it's a sign that the season is finally changing over to Autumn.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Elliott Island outing today. 57 species. We rescued an injured Barred Owl and took him to Tri-state Bird Rescue in DE. Hope he makes it. If they rehab him we will get to release him back to the same area.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:05 pm Elliott Island outing today. 57 species. We rescued an injured Barred Owl and took him to Tri-state Bird Rescue in DE. Hope he makes it. If they rehab him we will get to release him back to the same area.
57 - great list and I also hope the injured Barred Owl makes it. Nice that you took him/her to the bird rescue. :beer

Not long ago, I took a newborn squirrel to a vet who works with wildlife (not sure it could make it, but I wanted to try.) Also have taken a baby bird to a rehab place in the past. Glad the rehab folks are out there.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A few days ago, a male Downy Woodpecker showed up on my suet feeder. With the warm temperatures, I'm wondering when to put out the suet feeder.

Tomorrow's high is 77 F. Next week will have highs in the 60s, lows near 50 F.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

I spoke a few days ago of often hearing a Murder of Crows in the neighborhood. This morning, as I drove out for my lake walk, I saw them just around the corner on a lawn. There must have been 30 of them. They can sure be noisy.

Also today I saw a group of Cormorants at the lake, the first group this fall. They frequent the lake and nearby perc ponds during winter, but are gone during the summer.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Tropical Kingbird on Thursday at Blackwater NWR, MD. Some debate over last two days whether it is Tropical or Couch's Kingbird; after the storm blew through here yesterday, some folks went back and re-located the bird and obtained vocalization verifying it as a Tropical. Very unusual sighting in MD.

Photo by one of the Thursday group

Reubin

Post by Reubin »

The yellow bellied sap sucker is still my favorite.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^jebmke:

Thanks for posting the Tropical Kingbird photo. Handsome bird. I've seen a Western Kingbird before.