Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cbeck

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by cbeck »

We had a pair of yellow-vented bulbuls on the balcony yesterday.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

cbeck wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 am We had a pair of yellow-vented bulbuls on the balcony yesterday.
I wasn't familiar with this bird - very handsome. Looks like it is an Asian species:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-vented_bulbul
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

First week of May presented our usual migrating group of 3 lor 4 Red Breasted Grosbeaks at my feeders. When I saw them i added a half cup of grape jelly at the platform feeder. It was all gone 3 days later as were the Grosbeaks. " Hope to see you again next year, my beauties. Why don't you stick around some year?"

II will be cleaning and filling the hummingbird feeders this weekend as they always arrive here in the May 10 to 15 period.

It was a good year for our bird feeders. It is fun spoiling them and watching them. I overfed them, I know, as I went thru over 150 pounds of seeds and mealworms since September (none of the seeds had corn) and none of that went to furry creatures, just the feathered beauties.....

But, I wish those damn Starlings would leave them alone.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:41 am First week of May presented our usual migrating group of 3 lor 4 Red Breasted Grosbeaks at my feeders. When I saw them i added a half cup of grape jelly at the platform feeder. It was all gone 3 days later as were the Grosbeaks. " Hope to see you again next year, my beauties. Why don't you stick around some year?"

II will be cleaning and filling the hummingbird feeders this weekend as they always arrive here in the May 10 to 15 period.

It was a good year for our bird feeders. It is fun spoiling them and watching them. I overfed them, I know, as I went thru over 150 pounds of seeds and mealworms since September (none of the seeds had corn) and none of that went to furry creatures, just the feathered beauties.....

But, I wish those damn Starlings would leave them alone.
I put my hummingbird feeder up recently but haven't seen one yet although I have heard a few flying around in the neighborhood. I can't wait to see them again. :happy
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We have a bird feeder on our deck which is visible from our living room and dining room. We have lots of cardinals, woodpeckers, golden finch, bluebirds and a good assortment of other birds. I have never been a bird person but it is fascinating to watch them.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:16 am
cbeck wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 am We had a pair of yellow-vented bulbuls on the balcony yesterday.
I wasn't familiar with this bird - very handsome. Looks like it is an Asian species:

Very handsome indeed. We also saw three open-billed storks fly by a few days ago. In flight they are majestic, although less so on foot.

Thailand has an almost ridiculous abundance of species.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

cbeck wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Very handsome indeed. We also saw three open-billed storks fly by a few days ago. In flight they are majestic, although less so on foot.

Nice! They look a little like pelicans!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openbill_stork
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:54 pm
cbeck wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Nice! They look a little like pelicans!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openbill_stork
But they fly like cranes!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sightings over the past few days including my first hummingbird! :beer

1. Yellow-rumped Warbler
2. Great Blue Heron
3. Belted Kingfisher
4. American Goldfinches
5. Common Ravens
6. House Finches
7. Bush Tits
8. Anna’s Hummingbird
9. Spotted Towhee
10. Cooper’s Hawk
11. Red-winged Blackbirds
12. Black-capped Chickadees
13. American Robins
14. Eurasian Collared-Doves
15. American Crows

No snakes yet but others have had rattlesnake sightings in the area. :shock:
AK1236

Post by AK1236 »

about a dozen White-throated sparrows under the feeding station
no longer in the weeds and thorns
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Took the 35 mile drive out to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (70,000 acres) but stayed on the NJ side today.

Highlights were the Cerulean, Magnolia, Nashville, Tennessee and Mourning Warblers. Didn't see or hear any Canada Warblers today but still have a couple of weeks of migration to go.

84 species overall...

Magnolia's are striking though the one I had today wasn't singing
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Magnolia_Warbler/id

Non-bird - didn't see any bears or snakes today but did have a bobcat cross the road.
mushripu

Post by mushripu »

Today morning : cardinals
Afternoon : 3 mallard ducks with several ducklings each.
2 very big vultures on the median of a highway.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

GG1273 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:20 pm Took the 35 mile drive out to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (70,000 acres) but stayed on the NJ side today.

Highlights were the Cerulean, Magnolia, Nashville, Tennessee and Mourning Warblers. Didn't see or hear any Canada Warblers today but still have a couple of weeks of migration to go.

84 species overall...

Magnolia's are striking though the one I had today wasn't singing
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Magnolia_Warbler/id

Non-bird - didn't see any bears or snakes today but did have a bobcat cross the road.
The Magnolia Warbler is beautiful!
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

GG1273 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:20 pm Took the 35 mile drive out to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (70,000 acres) but stayed on the NJ side today.

Just saw my first Canada Warbler ever here in central Indiana. What a treat.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

deleted
Last edited by F150HD on Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Hummers:
8 Hummers around the hummingbird feeder this morning.
Looks like a swarm of bumblebees.

Mrs. Wren.
Annual appearance of the same Arizona Cactus Wren (Mrs Wren) that's been building a nest in our front porch rafter every year for the past 8 years.
High winds blew the nest down. 2 eggs broken. Shucks.
I added a small 10" x 14-1/2" plywood filler piece with shallow ribbers on top to help keep the nest in place, touch up paint, put what was left of the blown down nest back up there.
Mrs Wren got busy and after several days the new nest was finished. She disappeared for a week, maybe "dating", came back and layed new eggs, I think, because she spends a lot of time sitting on the nest now.

"Cleo", the Great Horned Owl that's been sitting on our roof at night off and on for the past 9 years, is staying later in the mornings instead of leaving before dawn. Always a "hoot".

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^Sandtrap:

Nice photos and stories to go along with them! :beer
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:23 am 8 Hummers around the hummingbird feeder this morning.
This is a mystery to me. Out west, I've seen many hummers on one feeder. And I've seen many pictures of the same thing.

Where I live, the hummers are fiercely territorial. One bird seems to rule the feeder for the entire summer. Everybody else is chased off. Occasionally I see a second bird allowed to feed - I assume that is a mate or offspring.

I only see ruby throats here. Maybe they are just stingy.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

retiredjg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:06 am
Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:23 am 8 Hummers around the hummingbird feeder this morning.
This is a mystery to me. Out west, I've seen many hummers on one feeder. And I've seen many pictures of the same thing.

Where I live, the hummers are fiercely territorial. One bird seems to rule the feeder for the entire summer. Everybody else is chased off. Occasionally I see a second bird allowed to feed - I assume that is a mate or offspring.

I only see ruby throats here. Maybe they are just stingy.
Yes. Sometimes there's a bully.
I guess they are like people in group behavior.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

In Southeastern Massachusetts:

Great Blue Heron - Two flew over our house yesterday
Black-Capped Chickadee
Eastern Towhee
Dark-Eyed Junco
Brown-Headed Cowbird
Tufted Titmouse
Mourning Dove
Cooper's Hawk
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

minesweep wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:08 am
minesweep wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:26 am
Ivygirl wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:29 pm House finches appeared for the first time at my feeder. I would not have recognized the juveniles for what they were except papa finch was feeding them. Mama finch showed up later. I was so excited I bought a "finch feeder" but they wouldn't approach it. Evidently house finches can't hang upside down to feed and need a perch so this isn't the right feeder for them.

I'd like to encourage the doves, but I'm afraid the cats would get them, doves are so silly and so edible.
The upside down thistle feeder is specifically designed to cater to the goldfinches. It’s the perfect feeder for making sure they get their food undisturbed.
My brother tells me that the goldfinches love the Nyjer Plus (Nyjer seeds and hulled sunflower seed chips) that he puts in his upside down thistle feeder. The only place I know that sells it is Lowe's but they are out of stock in their stores around here. They said there would be some coming around July 20 (still waiting). I noticed that 1it received 5 stars (138 reviews).
Lowe's never did get any more 'Nyjer seeds and hulled sunflower seed chips' back in stock last year. But they have it in stock right now. I put some in an upside down feeder a few days ago, but I haven't noticed any gold finches show up at any of my sunflower seeders yet. My brother said his upside down feeder is loaded up with gold finches (he lives about 5 miles from me). It's just a matter of time they show up here as well.
Last edited by minesweep on Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

We don't actually birdwatch, but on our morning walks here in North Louisiana, we very much enjoy the bird songs at daylight. My favorite is the Chuck-will's-widow (Antrostomus carolinensis). On clear, cool May mornings, the call is distinct.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

wabbott wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:22 pm We don't actually birdwatch, but on our morning walks here in North Louisiana, we very much enjoy the bird songs at daylight. My favorite is the Chuck-will's-widow (Antrostomus carolinensis). On clear, cool May mornings, the call is distinct.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Chuck-wills-widow

What a beautiful song! Also I learned a new species.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Robins, lots of Tohees, Ravens, a few Bluebirds and the gorgeous western Tanagers are just showing up. Hummies any day now, I think.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Mr Night Heron from last week.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

The lake was very calm this morning, so the reflection was great!
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

This is about the last of the new ones for this year. Seldomly do I see 10 in one brood.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

Several indigo buntings in a small prairie area - gorgeous color.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RetiredAL wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:24 pm Mr Night Heron from last week.
Very cool!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RetiredAL wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 pm This is about the last of the new ones for this year. Seldomly do I see 10 in one brood.
So sweet. :happy
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:23 am

"Cleo", the Great Horned Owl that's been sitting on our roof at night off and on for the past 9 years, is staying later in the mornings instead of leaving before dawn. Always a "hoot".

I'm extremely jealous that you've got Cleo close at hand. I'm always looking for GHOs, but seem unable to spot them. Have found a bunch of Barred Owls over the last few months, which kinda barely sorta makes up for it.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Oreamnos wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:23 am

I'm extremely jealous that you've got Cleo close at hand. I'm always looking for GHOs, but seem unable to spot them. Have found a bunch of Barred Owls over the last few months, which kinda barely sorta makes up for it.
Only recently, have we been able to get a picture of “Cleo”. He posed for DW at dawn. Camera on very high ISO.

j🌺
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Just had a Brown Thrasher in our yard ........ dining on some worms.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

In our Tulip Poplar trees: Black-Throated Blue, 2 Northern Parulas, 2-3 Blackpoll Warblers. A dozen Least Sandpipers working the mud flats out back. Two Green Herons now so likely nesting here again this year.

Assortment of regulars every day include various finches, Pine Siskins, Brown Thrasher (they nest here), Baltimore Oriole (probably stick around for a few weeks and leave, not sure nests here). Still no sign of Rose-breasted Grosbeak migrants.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Some folks are pasting/linking pictures of birds from other web sites. While it might be a terms-of-use violation for those sites, I think this leads to practically unattainable expectations of what one can actually experience in real life. Can you tell I've been watching the videos on "The Science of Well-Being"? Is this practice Annoying Feature #2?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

TnGuy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:30 am Image

David
On Saturday, I "rescued" a very agitated brown thrasher who was "stuck" repeatedly flying against an upstairs barn window from the inside trying to get out. I used a towel so it couldn't bite me, but it still didn't like it. It flew away without further incident other than soiling the towel, which was expected.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Green Heron and turtles. There were a lot of minnows thrashing about next to the bank where I was standing and I'm sure the heron was just waiting for one to come nearer to him. I saw 7 turtles on this log last week.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Blue Great Heron chicks. This was at the extreme range of the Panasonic pocket camera I carry on my walks. This tree is on an island in the lake.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

In the news last week -- At an East Bay Park, they found a drone in a Bald Eagle nest. The young'ens had already fledged but could not be found, so the park people don't know if they got injured by the drone.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Johnathan surveying his realm @ the Santa Cruz Wharf last week. And yes, the Sea Lions were about as they always are.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

RetiredAL wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 pm Johnathan surveying his realm @ the Santa Cruz Wharf last week. And yes, the Sea Lions were about as they always are.

Perfect!!!!

J🌺
CloudNine33

Post by CloudNine33 »

Sheepdog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:41 am First week of May presented our usual migrating group of 3 lor 4 Red Breasted Grosbeaks at my feeders. When I saw them i added a half cup of grape jelly at the platform feeder. It was all gone 3 days later as were the Grosbeaks. " Hope to see you again next year, my beauties. Why don't you stick around some year?"

Your Grosbeaks came further north and are happy at my feeder every day. Love the little red bow tie tuxedo wearing beauties!

We also have 7-8 brash bossy Blue Jays dive bombing the feeder, several crazy Nuthatches, a few yellow Finches, lots of cooing Mourning Doves, Chickadees that never leave and the Hummingbirds are just arriving back to cold weather but three full feeders waiting for them! Robins like crazy and trying to build nests in my wood shed which I discourage but eventually they beat me and I leave them.

Plus my wife's flock of free ranging bantam chickens, several heritage and show breeds and 8 chicks we hatched in the incubator in March that are about to go full time in the coop today. The bantams are good flyers, spend most of their day in the woods scratching the leaf cover and we haven't ever lost a single one to predators, hopefully the streak continues.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

David
We had couple browns in our hood, they're gone now. LOVED listen to them sing, I think they are the best of the Mimidae family !!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

David
Great photo!
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RetiredAL wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:09 pm In the news last week -- At an East Bay Park, they found a drone in a Bald Eagle nest. The young'ens had already fledged but could not be found, so the park people don't know if they got injured by the drone.
:shock: :(
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Cornell's West Texas feeder cam has some great birds right now - lots of Western Tanagers.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/west ... mingbirds/
Caligal

Post by Caligal »

Mosst recent new species we have seen in NoCal.

Spotted Towhee (very shy and only a few).
Bluebird (only one so far! beautiful)
Cedar Waxwing (maybe it was a fast visit)

Frequent fliers.

California Quail
Morning Doves
Lesser Goldfinch
House Finch
Towhees
Scrub Jays
Oak Titmouse
Bushwick Wren
Dark Eyed Junco
Chickadees
White Crowned Sparrows
Crows
Red Tailed Hawks
Great Horned Owls
Canada Geese

We also have a female turkey who visits our fence just about every day. Appears to be a loner. We pretty much gave up trying to chase her off as she may have a nest nearby.

We had a lot of hummers when our citrus trees were in full bloom. Butterflies came too. We have started some milkweed and salvias to keep them coming back.

Even in a dense suburb we have coyotes, a few deer and a bumper crop of jackrabbits.
desconhecido

Post by desconhecido »

In Mongomery County, TX

Rarely hummingbirds for brief periods.

Lots of cardinals, male and female. The males are not all the same color, some more orange than others.

Lots of bluejays, of course.

Lots of white winged doves, fewer mourning doves.

Rarely a northern mockingbird. Would expect more.

Lots of Carolina chickadees. Cute little guys.

One sighting of an eastern bluebird. Should be more as they're known to be about.

Hawks or harriers flying high and soaring. Haven't yet gotten a clear sighting in order to identify. Several species are known in the area.
Allixi

Post by Allixi »

The blue jay that comes to the feeder has a broken leg :(
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Allixi wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pm The blue jay that comes to the feeder has a broken leg :(
New or old broken leg?

Auwe!
j :D :(