Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
f35phixer

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7utMaDb1W08

poor thing is getting pelleted right now....
Thomas93

Post by Thomas93 »

Anyone have any good tips on bird baths/fountains to attract birds? Thanks!
Candor

Post by Candor »

I saw my first Osprey in central Virginia yesterday which is always a welcomed sight. I'm looking forward to getting out to the James River to photograph them fishing. Since people here like photos here's one from last year.

The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

We have an eastern screech owl nesting in our owl house in the backyard. Kinda neat.

We hear great horned owls, but never see them.

See plenty of red-tailed, red-shouldered, and cooper's hawks in the backyard, as well.
Last edited by gr7070 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Candor wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:43 pm I saw my first Osprey in central Virginia yesterday which is always a welcomed sight. I'm looking forward to getting out to the James River to photograph them fishing. Since people here like photos here's one from last year.

Fantastic photo!

I just saw a Red-tailed Hawk in the sky outside my family room window. He/she is probably happy the snow has stopped today and the sun is out. :happy
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:03 pm
Candor wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:43 pm I saw my first Osprey in central Virginia yesterday which is always a welcomed sight. I'm looking forward to getting out to the James River to photograph them fishing. Since people here like photos here's one from last year.

Fantastic photo!

I just saw a Red-tailed Hawk in the sky outside my family room window. He/she is probably happy the snow has stopped today and the sun is out. :happy

Great photo.
Smartest Osprey in our area hangs out at the Fish Hatchery - not sure that the state agrees with the Osprey's choice of location.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thomas93 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:41 pm Anyone have any good tips on bird baths/fountains to attract birds? Thanks!
Having trees and shrubs in the yard where you have a feeder and bird bath helps a lot. Birds want shelter in same area where they eat bathe.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:25 am
Thomas93 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:41 pm Anyone have any good tips on bird baths/fountains to attract birds? Thanks!
Having trees and shrubs in the yard where you have a feeder and bird bath helps a lot. Birds want shelter in same area where they eat bathe.
Yes; they need an escape route. Have had to explain that to neighbor who puts feeder out in the middle of a wide open space.

re: bird bath, also make sure to clean and change the water frequently to avoid spreading disease among the birds. Ours is a fairly simple flat, saucer-like bath on a pedestal. Bluebirds, finches and even bigger birds love it. I rinse and re-fill every day or so. Depending on how grubby it looks, I also scrub out well with mild detergent and a bit of bleach and then rinse thoroughly every few weeks.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jebmke wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:31 am
Yes; they need an escape route. Have had to explain that to neighbor who puts feeder out in the middle of a wide open space.

re: bird bath, also make sure to clean and change the water frequently to avoid spreading disease among the birds. Ours is a fairly simple flat, saucer-like bath on a pedestal. Bluebirds, finches and even bigger birds love it. I rinse and re-fill every day or so. Depending on how grubby it looks, I also scrub out well with mild detergent and a bit of bleach and then rinse thoroughly every few weeks.
Good ideas for the bird bath. My parents became unable to manage the bird bathe and gave it away. Instead the putout a large dog food bowl filled with water which was changed every other day. Washed about once a week. The birds used it as did squirrels and chipmunks. The water bowl sat on the deck where we could watch close up.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Good ideas for the bird bath. My parents became unable to manage the bird bathe and gave it away. Instead the putout a large dog food bowl filled with water which was changed every other day. Washed about once a week. The birds used it as did squirrels and chipmunks. The water bowl sat on the deck where we could watch close up.
LOL. My dog LOVES to drink out of my ground-level bird bath (yuck) instead of his outdoor dog water bowl. Some birds will also visit HIS water bowl for a drink which gets cleaned more often. I am looking to get another bird bath that is high enough so he can't drink out of it. Right now he is happy to eat snow. :happy
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Dottie57 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:47 pm

As a senior citizen, I also have difficulty managing the bird bath, particularly emptying it. I’ve discovered that my ceramic bird bath can be emptied using a leaf blower. The dirty water is distributed nicely to the lawn.

DMW
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Not feathered, but the sure can fly through the water.

A pod of Pinnipeds (Calif Sea Lions) off the Santa Cruz Wharf last week.

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

RetiredAL wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:40 pm Not feathered, but the sure can fly through the water.

Great photo!
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

RetiredAL wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:40 pm Not feathered, but the sure can fly through the water.

What a great sight!
Due to covid we missed our annual elephant seal viewing in Feb at ave nuevo SP. Hoping for more visits to Santa Cruz next season.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Well this is pretty damn cool. Check it out.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology: https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/featu ... o-tutorial
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

New yard birds this morning: a pair of Grey Partridges
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

F150HD wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:09 am Cornell Lab of Ornithology: https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/featu ... o-tutorial
Yes. Cool 8-)

Did not work right for me on Safari. Does well on Firefox.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Flocks of Half Moon and Quaker parrots, black Crows, Doves and Mockingbirds. The Mockingbirds are very aggressive this time of year with their warning screech and dive bombing you. It's kind of funny.. they don't really know how little they are.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

have a birdfeeder right a kitchen window maybe 2.5 feet away, have four half's of oranges, they are killing it the Mockingbirds. We just stand there and watch, they don't care a bit.

Going to go take some pictures.

What is best website to use to load pics up to so i can show my bird pics?
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:32 pm have a birdfeeder right a kitchen window maybe 2.5 feet away, have four half's of oranges, they are killing it the Mockingbirds. We just stand there and watch, they don't care a bit.

This may help (I haven't tried it yet):

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Posting ... eads_forum
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

lets see if this works, DW was watching the waxers and she BURST out laughing. I said what, one of the birds must have been TUGGING on a berry and it let go, the bird did a complete flip falling out of the tree ;-)
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:00 pm
f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:32 pm have a birdfeeder right a kitchen window maybe 2.5 feet away, have four half's of oranges, they are killing it the Mockingbirds. We just stand there and watch, they don't care a bit.

yup.... thanks.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

my other BIRDS I love, sooooooooooooo glad to be retired from that stress !!!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I'd like to point out the username matches the bird. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:23 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:00 pm

yup.... thanks.
^f35phixer - love the photo of the Cedar Waxwings! :beer
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:55 pm ^^^ I'd like to point out the username matches the bird. :)
you got that!!! and on both counts, its an F-35 and i fixed 'um, in more ways then one!!!!!

You are a geek !!!! :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes! Let's just say that over my many year engineering career (now retired), I visited the place where your little birdie was hatched. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:33 pm Yes! Let's just say that over my many year engineering career (now retired), I visited the place where your little birdie was hatched. :)
who knows we might have crossed paths down THERE... i would go down LOTS from 2002 on till Nov when i retired, was on Mission Systems side. Sundance square was our after work meeting place ;-)
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPI9mWmmc7M

ARRRGHHHH, mom or dad might has stepped on one of eggs, How for a PIP soon... this is a Maryland nest not far from me....

PIP-AGE going to happen soon?????????????
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Big Bear eagle cam tragedy !!!

Well poor eaglet did not make it ;-(
Lets hope better for number 2 egg!

Some times it SOOOOO HARD watching these play out !!!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Eastern Blue Birds shopping both BB boxes. Pair of Great Blue Herons zoomed by in the creek. Not sure if a breeding pair or rivals - sometimes hard to tell. Tree Swallows are around now so spring is well underway. No sign (yet) of the Wood Ducks that normally nest on the property.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Outstanding!

What camera and lens did you use for this shot?

Thanks for posting a wonderful picture.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:42 pm Image

Epic!

Did you take that shot yourself?
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:02 am
f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:42 pm Image

Epic!

Did you take that shot yourself?
NOPE< if you're on the flight deck you can't be carrying anything but your tools which need to always be accounted for...
This was one of our ITF photogs, these are from his TOOLS ;-)
Candor

Post by Candor »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 am
Outstanding!

What camera and lens did you use for this shot?

Thanks for posting a wonderful picture.
Thanks everyone!

This was taken with a Canon 1D Mark IV and the older version of the 500mm F4 lens.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

This is just off Dahlgren Surface Warfare Base on Potomac!!! I know this isn't eagle nest, Osprey are fascinating birds. They just laid their first egg of season!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r0cM0I-aI

Part of the fascination is the STUFFFFFFFFF they bring in. Shark toys, Yogi bear toys, work gloves etc etc etc ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8PuX4OE10M
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

f35phixer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:58 am This is just off Dahlgren Surface Warfare Base on Potomac!!! I know this isn't eagle nest, Osprey are fascinating birds. They just laid their first egg of season!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r0cM0I-aI

Part of the fascination is the STUFFFFFFFFF they bring in. Shark toys, Yogi bear toys, work gloves etc etc etc ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8PuX4OE10M
Wow! I just saw all the children's toys in the nest. I'm glad they are recycling human items! :happy
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Today I saw a Townsend's Solitaire in my back yard. They primarily live in the western part of the US and have a noticeable eye ring. They love juniper berries in the winter when there are no insects. Their song is pretty and reminds me of a robin.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tow ... e/overview
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Went grocery shopping and there is a lake near the store.

Several Common Mergansers and Ring Neck Ducks on the pond. Eastern Phoebe's are back as are a few Tree Swallows.

Spring Peepers and Green Frogs - was a chorus this morning!
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

We had a rafter (flock) of these up in the woods behind our house last night.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

TT wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:34 pm This week about 15 minutes before sunrise an adult Bald Eagle flew from a large stand of mixed conifers into a meadow at the edge of a pond/marsh. He landed on a large branch high up on an oak tree overlooking the area. As he keep a watchful eye on two large ravens that were in another tree the ravens became nervous and took off to the northwest into a stand of white pines. After about 12 minutes the eagle took off and flew back into a stand of hemlocks. I reported the sighting on Audubon's web site and discovered that the 2021 winter survey count for Vermont was 44 Bald Eagles with 25 adults and 19 immatures. Pleased to know that such a magnificent bird decided to visit my property.
Nice one!
I had one visit exactly 1 year ago today - working from home and saw a bit of a flight--fight between the Bald Eagle and a Red Tail hawk
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

TnGuy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm Image

David
Well their long distance cousins here in Minnesota woke me up last week with a loud chorus of gobbling. I thought it was a dream until I saw a rafter of turkeys strolling down the boulevard where I live. Turkeys in the first ring ‘burbs is interesting.
JPH

Post by JPH »

When they fish in moving water like that do they flop right down into the water like I've seen them do in lakes?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Ive got some Barred Owls that have moved into the woods behind my house. I saw one up in a tree several nights ago and watched it for a while. I wanted to see it fly off but it waited me out till way past dark. Ive been hearing them at night calling. Its surprisingly loud I can hear it inside with windows closed sometimes.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KwZTJuGTZM
This is Dahlgren Osprey cam on youtube. They bring all kinds of stuff into nest

I needed a little humor to lighten my mood for my Maryland eagles .

This was 2019 , also for 2020 they would bring in stuffed animals...

I have searched other Osprey nests, NONE have a collection of carnival stuffed animals ;-)
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm
TnGuy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm Image

David
Well their long distance cousins here in Minnesota woke me up last week with a loud chorus of gobbling. I thought it was a dream until I saw a rafter of turkeys strolling down the boulevard where I live. Turkeys in the first ring ‘burbs is interesting.
The ones in the photograph look a lot like Guinea Fowl to me.

Wikipedia
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Candor

Post by Candor »

JPH wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:20 am
When they fish in moving water like that do they flop right down into the water like I've seen them do in lakes?
Yes, they will hover over the water sometimes for several minutes and if they see a fish they go into dive mode and hit the water talons first with some force. It's quite rocky in this area and with the water moving around and shifts in depth they have to be careful. I've see couple injure themselves.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Vtsax100 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:45 am Ive got some Barred Owls that have moved into the woods behind my house. I saw one up in a tree several nights ago and watched it for a while. I wanted to see it fly off but it waited me out till way past dark. Ive been hearing them at night calling. Its surprisingly loud I can hear it inside with windows closed sometimes.
Last spring, I was walking in a Swampy State Park and felt that something was watching me. Looked up and saw one staring at me. They sort of lean into branches but they are unmistakable - good one for you to see!