So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wabbott

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by wabbott »

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17692 ... per-jelly/

Notice the reviews that address the consistency issue. Yesterday was the first time we made it, and as noted it is a bit runny. We had some peppers left over, and will make another batch today with more pectin and see how that does.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

tooluser wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 pm
chris319 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:45 am
CRUMPETS
I tried this recipe this morning, but alas it did not work for me. I am quite sure much of that is my fault (first time, and I never do well with yeast for some reason, probably too impatient). It seemed salty to me but that might have been attenuated if they had cooked properly.

However, you have enthused me to try crumpets again with some modifications!
Don't be discouraged and give it another shot. And yes, you'll probably need to adjust the salt to taste. Try 1 1/2 tsp salt and see if it's more to your liking.

It makes a difference if you use active dry yeast or "instant" yeast. You're supposed to proof active dry yeast in water before adding it. Simpler to use "instant" yeast and just add it as another dry ingredient.

I got some non-stick crumpet rings and they help a lot.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I've been having trouble with my crumpet recipe, above. I can't seem to get the crumpets to cook all the way through. High heat, low heat, it doesn't seem to matter. They turn out golden brown on the outside but way undercooked on the inside, with a texture kind of like mashed potatoes. I'm getting the requisite holes from gas bubbles on the top, but the taste of the nearly-raw dough/batter is rather unappetizing.

Today on the recommendation of a friend I picked up some store-bought crumpets at Trader Joe's and put them in the freezer. They are Trader Joe's house brand.

Was I surprised! They're pretty darn good! I pan fried a frozen crumpet in a little butter to heat it up. It was great! No muss, no fuss, and the inside was well cooked :) Now I know what a real crumpet is like without traveling all the way to England, and I know why the British rave about them. No jam, no honey, just butter. One side is uncooked and has the little holes a crumpet is supposed to have, and the other side is smooth and golden brown.

I had tried another brand of store-bought crumpet and they were pretty disappointing.

In a couple of YouTube videos they cook the crumpets in olive oil. I did this exactly once thinking it would be healthier, but the flavor was wretched. Never again. It has to be butter (or margarine). I use unsalted butter on doctor's recommendation and the crumpets are perfectly delicious.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

chris319 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:32 am I've been having trouble with my crumpet recipe, above. I can't seem to get the crumpets to cook all the way through. High heat, low heat, it doesn't seem to matter. They turn out golden brown on the outside but way undercooked on the inside, with a texture kind of like mashed potatoes. I'm getting the requisite holes from gas bubbles on the top, but the taste of the nearly-raw dough/batter is rather unappetizing.
This is exactly how mine turned out the first time. I think the baking powder really is necessary. I made a second batch today using the online recipe from Warburton's (biggest commercial crumpet baker in the UK). https://www.warburtons.co.uk/news/crump ... -revealed/ It's basically the same as yours, but uses 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. A companion article: https://www.recipetineats.com/crumpet-recipe/

They came out pretty good but still need improvement. Making crumpets seems to be a technique-heavy thing to do, requiring practice and fine tuning on the temperature control. I bought some crumpet rings (instead of using circular cutters), and filling them with an ice cream scoop seemed to produce the right size. Still a little less salt for me, I think. I ate half of them freshly cooked, and they seemed a bit cakey, so I probably need to beat the batter longer to make more gluten. I am refrigerating the other half to see if they are better toasted/reheated the next day. There are also recipes that say to use some milk for the liquid, and possibly some bread flour along with the all-purpose flour. That's a lot of variables!

Jamie Oliver's recipe calls for baking soda instead of baking powder. I can't believe that would work, since he has no acidic ingredient to activate it. Probably a typo.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

OK, not a Brit, but definitely a Master -
Beard on Bread - Crumpets

1/2C milk
1/2C boiling water
1pkg active dry yeast
1t sugar
1 1/2t salt
1 3/4C sifted all purpose flour
1/4t baking soda dissolved in 1T hot water

combine milk and water and cool to lukewarm. add yeast and sugar and proof.

Blend salt, flour, then combine with yeast mixture and beat thoroughly for several minutes with wooden spoon or hands. Rise in warm place till doubled in bulk and bubbly. Add dissolved soda and beat into batter. Rise again till double.

Spoon batter into buttered rings placed on moderate hot griddle to a depth of about 1/2" Cook until dry on top, remove ring, flip and cook on other side till lightly brown. Cool

"...rather soggy and holey, they must be toasted and treated to quantities of butter and good homemade jam..."
mkc

Post by mkc »

Attempting Detroit-style pizza for the first time. Have never had it, but it looked intriguing on the Baking Steel group and what the heck, I ordered a Lloyd pan from Amazon warehouse.

Following Hans' instructions in the pizzamaking.com forum's Detroit-style sticky topic and using muenster as the suggested sub for brick cheese, since that's not a typical Tennessee-available item.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index ... #msg461690

Been a longtime member of that forum - it's like Bogleheads for pizza-making geeks like me.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

PAKISTANI KEEMA KARELEY (GROUND BEEF AND BITTER MELON) --- https://www.teaforturmeric.com/pakistan ... ter-melon/

I used garlic/ginger paste instead of fresh garlic and ginger.

And instead of the spices I used MDH Kitchen King (a mix of Coriander seeds, Cumin, Red Chillies, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Iodised Salt, Dried Ginger, Mustard, Fennel, Seeds, Garlic, Cassia, Fenugreek Leaves, Cardamom Amomum, Cloves, Nutmeg, Green Cardamom, Mace, Asafoetida) --- https://mdhspices.com/product/mdh-kitchenking/

I was inspired by Beryl Shereshewsky's video --- Foods I Don't Like: Bitter Gourd | Guyana, Suriname, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp19JCP2pCs

A tasty dish that I will be pleased to make again.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

InMyDreams wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:43 pm OK, not a Brit, but definitely a Master -
Beard on Bread - Crumpets
This made me do some more research. I discovered two things:
1) Milk is slightly acidic (pH of about 6.5), so it should activate the baking soda at least to some degree.
2) My second batch was actually made with baking soda, not baking powder. I have a can of each from Trader Joes, and they are quite similar. I grabbed the wrong one! :oops: My third batch will use baking powder, and I will have a direct comparison after that. I did not use any milk with the baking soda.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

Re: crumpets

Somebody suggested using less liquid in the batter to solve the problem of mushy insides. I looked up the Warburtons recipe and it is 133.33% hydration, so 125 g flour + 167 g water should do it. This may be a case were you must weigh the ingredients precisely rather than using cup measurements. This is lower hydration than I was using before and it resulted in a big improvement.

I used a thermometer to find the electric burner setting where the skillet reaches around 200° C, or almost 400° F.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I made 2 chocolate souffles for the first time a few weeks ago. The recipe called for melting chocolate and butter together. Then add egg yolks to the chocolate/butter mix. Beat egg whites and fold into chocolate/butter/egg yolk mixture and then bake. The result was terrible - dry and flavorless. I had some help with the second batch but the helper forgot to add the egg yolks. The result was fantastic. It tasted exactly how chocolate souffle should taste.
How can you leave out that much of an ingredient and still get a great result? Why did the batch that contained everything called for in the recipe fail?
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I haven't gotten back to the crumpets yet, but I made nachos for dinner using canned baked beans instead of pinto beans. It works! It's sweeter, but was pretty tasty, and blended well with the other, traditional toppings. I fried up my own tortilla chips from corn tortillas, and they were substantial enough to stand up to the additional liquid from the baked beans. I'm not so sure most pre-made chips would hold up as well.
1andDone

Post by 1andDone »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Baked Lemon Butter Salmon in the toaster oven.

- 1.5 pounds of salmon with the skin on one side
- I used the juice from a fresh lemon. (I always use a fresh lemon.)
- I didn't have a wire rack, so I just laid the fish on the aluminum foil. Skin side down.
- Two freshly squeezed cloves of garlic.
- Toaster oven on convection bake, 15 minutes - go by temperature.

I was in the mood for red beans and rice as a side dish.

- 1 cup of rice + 2 cups of water
Cook the rice, put it in a large mixing bowl.
Add two 15 oz. cans of red beans and one chopped onion. Mix, done.

I could make this more complicated, but it hit the spot.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I had an open jar of tomato pasta sauce and decided to go with Ground Beef & Pasta Skillet using rotini pasta (not whole wheat).

I ended up using more ground beef and mushrooms than they said, but everything fit perfectly in a dutch oven.

My pasta sauce replaced the tomato sauce in the recipe. I added less water than called for, as the mushrooms and onions released quite a bit of their own water.

Instead of cheddar cheese, I used Monterrey Jack cheese - what I had on hand. Also, 3 cloves of fresh-pressed garlic instead of ground garlic from a jar.

Filling, but it hit the spot and tasted good.

=================
As I noted in Re: What have you baked recently?, I'm using good quality sauce. A few weeks ago, I compared the supermarket "store brand" sauce vs. a brand that used real ingredients with no preservatives. Yes, the name brand was more expensive. Yes, I could easily tell the better quality.

I'm not going back to the store brand in spite of the cost savings. I've seen this for other products as well. Compare the ingredients and you'll see why.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Crumpets!!??? 😂

Awesome. I love you guys. We had a very nice cajun chicken this evening and yesterday I made a no butter, high spice version of fettucini alfredo using feta, egg, dried basil, parsley flakes, leeks, garlic, freshly ground black pepper and avocado oil on wide egg noodles.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

I pan-seared a bone-in pork chop that I had seasoned with paper and salt and covered with freshly ground fennel seeds on one side.
I also pan-seared some hen-of-the-woods mushrooms to go with the pork chop. Added some greens on the side.
It was delicious if I may say so :happy
Teague

Post by Teague »

I'm working on my stir-fry skills. I came across a 30,000 BTU outdoor burner and while I wish it was at least double that output, the flame shape matches my wok well so the results are pretty good, given the limitations. A decent beginner setup, I think, and I should really work on my skills and speed before upgrading, things happen pretty quickly now.
Semper Augustus
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Detroit pizza today. I use the recipe on King Arthur's site. It's awesome.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Tortellini soup. Dave is flying in on his Gulf Stream and having soup with me!😂

💪
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 pm Tortellini soup. Dave is flying in on his Gulf Stream and having soup with me!😂

💪
Tony
😁😆😅
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:35 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:31 pm Tortellini soup. Dave is flying in on his Gulf Stream and having soup with me!😂

💪
Tony
😁😆😅
Ask Dave to swing by New York and pick you up!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Cooking up a spaghetti supper for 23 of our closest friends tonight.

I made the meatballs, sausages and sauce yesterday.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:37 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:35 pm

💪
Tony
😁😆😅
Ask Dave to swing by New York and pick you up!
Awesome- I got an invite for the crumpets, but I prefer tortellini in brodo! 😅
Markus003

Post by Markus003 »

mkc wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:53 pm Attempting Detroit-style pizza for the first time. Have never had it, but it looked intriguing on the Baking Steel group and what the heck, I ordered a Lloyd pan from Amazon warehouse.

Following Hans' instructions in the pizzamaking.com forum's Detroit-style sticky topic and using muenster as the suggested sub for brick cheese, since that's not a typical Tennessee-available item.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index ... #msg461690

Been a longtime member of that forum - it's like Bogleheads for pizza-making geeks like me.
Making New York style pizza here. Been following suggestions from that pizza site for a couple years now.
Biggest challenge is finding good ingredients, like a 50lb bag of flour.
Usually make 2 or 3 pies at a time, once a week. Trying to improve.
MandyLuna

Post by MandyLuna »

last evening's dinner was:

pecan crusted flounder from the air fryer

cold beet and onion salad (a balsamic and olive oil dressing)

sauteed beet greens

baked potato

Kung Fu Girl riesling
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Markus003 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:28 pm Usually make 2 or 3 pies at a time, once a week. Trying to improve.
In general, I think this is how one gets good at cooking specific things.
Thoughtful intention, repetition, and little corrections over time.

Tonight: Thai green curry with chicken, over white rice.
I used this recipe because it is relatively easy: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/thai- ... ighs-31258
(With the comment about reducing the lime juice.)

It was good but not restaurant quality, more a homemade B than an A grade. Some of that is probably lack of the more exotic Thai ingredients that other recipes have. Also, I think the curry broth should probably be simmered down to concentrate the flavor.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Here's a very easy way to make Ma Ba tofu.
The House Foods package has the sauce. [The recipe and directions are on the box.]

You supply a pound of ground pork and a 14 oz package of tofu. [I use soft tofu.]
I also add chopped onions [when I cook the ground pork] and frozen peas [at the end].
Serve over white rice.

There are 3 variations of the House Foods sauce: Hot, Med, Mild. Amazon links below.
https://www.amazon.com/House-Foods-Sauc ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/House-Foods-Medi ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/House-Foods-Sauc ... UTF8&psc=1

You can also find these packages at Chinese grocery stores like 99 Ranch.
Some regular grocery stores also carry it. I've seen it in selected Safeway and Kroger stores, Tokyo Central, etc.

99 Ranch [and other Chinese grocery stores] also sell the Lee Kum Kee Spicy Bean [ma bo] sauce in a jar. You get to use as much as you want, but there's no recipe. Also available on Amazon at link below.
https://www.amazon.com/Bundle-PrimeTime ... UTF8&psc=1

Personally, I buy the Mild package from 99 Ranch and then add a couple of tablespoons from the Lee Kum Kee jar.
I make this about every 6 weeks.

Caveat: The Ma Bo tofu dish at many Chinese restaurants is very different from this.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Here's something I do. I keep a list of dishes I make for dinner and when I last made them. Some of these are ready-to-eat [just microwave], but I still count them as cooking

1. Ma Ba Tofu 2021 Aug 27
2. Steak [rib eye] 2021 Oct 15
3. Lipton Roast Potatoes 2021 Sep 30
4. Shake’N’Bake Chicken 2021 Sep 30
5. Fried Rice 2021 Oct 10
6. Stir-fry beef 2021 Aug 06
7. Spaghetti 2021 Sep 01
8. Mashed Potatoes 2021 Sep 12
9. Roasted Chicken 2021 Aug 18
10. Hamburger Helper 2021 Sep 08
11. Country pork ribs 2021 Sep 04
12. Ramen 2021 Oct 14
13. Costco Ramen 2021 Jul 20
14. Chicken Wings Costco 2021 Sep 24
15. Roast Potatoes Costco 2021 Mar 27
16. Savory Potatoes 2021 May 21
17. Turkey Marie Callendar 2021 Sep 23
18. Stuffing 2021 Aug 01
19. Scrambled Eggs 2021 Sep 06
20. Hash Browns Costco 2021 Sep 06
21. Meat Loaf 2021 Aug 23
22. Chicken Ravioli Costco 2021 Sep 26
23. Spinach RavioliCostco 2021 Aug 13
24. Salmon Teriyaki 2021 Oct 01
25. Costco Salmon 2021 Aug 20
26. Spaghetti Carbonara 2021 May 20
27. Kingsford Pork Ribs 2021 Jul 28
28. Costco Pot Roast 2021 Sep 12
29. Angus Steak Tips 2021 Feb 12
30. Shrimp cocktail Costco 2021 May 12
31. Chicken Potato Salad 2021 Aug 11
32. Macaroni Salad 2021 Jun 12
33. Won-Ton 2021 Mar 07
34. Chili [McCormick] 2021 May 28
35. Pulled Pork JackDaniels 2020 Nov 15
36. Nil Mai Fan 2020 Nov 26
37. Roast Pork 2021 May 16
38. Tuna & rice casserole 2020 Apr 24
39. Fish Sticks 2021 Feb 21
40. Pork Chops 2021 Jan 13
41. Hawaii Chicken Costco 2020 Aug 18
42. Pork stew 2020 Jul 01
43. Turkey 2020 Nov 27
44. Juuk 2020 Nov 29
45. Ground Pork black bean 2017 Sep 28
46. Steamed Eggs 2017 Sep 28
47. Hormel BBQ Pork 2018 Mar 21
48. Stir-fry pork 2017 May 03
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I've been trying to re-create the wonderful sourdough breads I grew up with on the San Francisco peninsula in the 1960s and 1970s. Believe me when I say it is hard to do!

The San Francisco sourdough bakeries of yesteryear are now extinct. They produced a bread which was quite sour indeed. It was always always present at our family gatherings. The premier sourdough bakery of that era was Larraburu Brothers. My mother always kept several loaves of Larraburu in the freezer.

Contemporary bakeries in the area trade on the erstwhile reputation of San Francisco sourdough but none are up to snuff. The breads are either too mild or have a peculiar taste. I suspect some bakeries spike their products with artificial souring agents such as vinegar or fumaric acid, figuring the tourists on Fisherman's Wharf won't know the difference.

Traditional sourdough is made with a starter sponge, a dough-like lump of fermented flour and water. The sponge ferments for 8 hours at 86° F. The fermented sponge contains a colony of yeast and lactobacillus microbes. They produce the two main souring agents in sourdough: lactic acid and acetic acid. The dough is made with this sponge which is likewise allowed to ferment for another 8 hours, so the process is very time consuming. The process is well documented but it is very hard for the home baker to get right and to get the bread to be sour enough.

We used to make garlic butter by crushing a big clove of garlic into a stick of butter, spreading it on sourdough and toasting it in the oven.
Last edited by chris319 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

tonight it was chick peas, broccoli and brown rice with onions, leeks, garlic and spices in some Rao‘s arrabbiata sauce.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Tried to make "Mini Meatloaf Ghosts - Halloween Meatloaf": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apDsAxKMgWY

Like all chefs, he has a much higher hot & spicy tolerance than I do, so I cut way down on the cayenne and sriracha. Used to it, no big deal. They tasted good, but...

...like all of his other recipes I have tried, it does not work, or at least not very well. Getting the cheese right is technique heavy, and in this case you have to have the correct thickness of cheese slices or they need a lot more handling and in/out of the oven than he shows. Practice might make perfect, but it's not really worth it.

I wonder how many times he makes his recipes before they are camera ready? Kind of like home remodeling DIY shows, they don't show the hard, often repetitive and time-consuming work, and the viewer is often disappointed.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I had leftover celery so I decided to make Celery Soup. I subsituted half-and-half in place of the heavy cream because it's what I had on hand.

Be careful on the size of the pot. That's a lot of ingredients and I ended up using my wok.

I didn't see a need to strain the soup after blending.

Also, I didn't stir in the cream. Just add the cream after blending and blend on low for a few seconds.

I left the soup in the blender and put it in the fridge. To serve, all I need to do is blend and pour. Tastes just fine.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Pizza!

Tony
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

So as a US healthcare worker, work increased 5x for me during the time that most of you were at home, but the wife has been my rock. While work has been similar to a battlefield, wifey has helped me through it. But honestly our eating habits have not changed. We ate at home 9 out of 10 times. And since lifting is part of our fitness routine, we are protein heavy.

Breakfast: Kids - muffins, eggs, fruit. Adults - eggs, toast, fruit. Sometimes cheese and bread (Portuguese custom). Add turkey bacon or regular becon at times

Bonus - Special egg Burrito recipe:
Diced potatoes, vegetable oil, cooked first, chopped kielbasa, chopped pepper, chopped onion, dozen eggs, mixed together with salt on eggs
Can eat alone or in a wrap

Lunch - turkey, tuna, ham sandwiches or wraps, chips, fruit

Dinner -
1.) Chicken with veggies, Mac and cheese.
2.) Pasta with lean meat and sauce
3.) BBQ ribs and cornbread
4.) Rarely steak with home fries, corn.
Light weight baby!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:23 pm I had leftover celery so I decided to make Celery Soup.
I realized I had quite a bit of celery and most of the ingredients, and made this today. It's very good! I really like Bon Appetit - their recipes are usually simple, tasty, and work correctly.

I went full butter and cream, but tasted it without the cream, and it would still be quite good. I also used my immersion blender in a dutch oven on the stove top, because it's fun and easy to clean up. No straining here either, that little bit of texture is quite nice.

Good advice about the quantity. I ate half of it :shock: and have two more large bowls for later in the week. I think I might add a ghost meatloaf to one of them.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Custard - or custard sauce is what we would call it in the US
removed and replaced with
try this: https://www.thespruceeats.com/proper-cu ... ipe-434930?

on an apple crisp, apples from my trees. Leftovers for lunch today.
Last edited by InMyDreams on Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Gia Russo wide flat egg noodles in an Alfredo sauce made of leeks, garlic, spinach, feta, egg, sesame seeds, parsley, basil, ginger and freshly ground black pepper.

Simmer the leeks, spinach and garlic with a little oil in 1/4 pot of water and with the spices, add the noodles and cook them in the water with the other things so that all the water is absorbed and no vitamins from the vegetables drain off. Stir in feta and a raw egg, butter if you must. Let cool.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Leftover braised short ribs (sous vide) with sauce made from sous vide liquid, roux and mushrooms over noodles or rice (haven't decided yet - split decision among diners).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

InMyDreams wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:02 pm Custard - or custard sauce is what we would call it in the US
www.thespruceeats.com

on an apple crisp, apples from my trees. Leftovers for lunch today.
Thanks!

That link actually led me to the recipe for
"Croatian Plum Dumplings Recipe - Knedle s Sljivama"
https://www.thespruceeats.com/croatian- ... pe-1136803
But I didn't find the custard sauce recipe.

And they are made with mashed potato dough.
That is just perfect, as DH needs a gluten free diet (we recently found out by accident during another procedure... strange).
(It also calls for flour, but something like one of Bob's Red Mill substitutes, or any other, should be easy to incorporate, given that the potatoes are the main ingredient.)

I'll also try using that "crust" recipe for other fillings.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:33 pm But I didn't find the custard sauce recipe.
Weird, it doesn't copy (fully) from my copy of the recipe, but click on the address in the downloaded recipe leads me right to it. I think this will work
https://www.thespruceeats.com/proper-cu ... ipe-434930?

and, RM, you might be interested in this GF recipe for gluten free apple crisp - a friend liked it, I didn't try it - I didn't have the yogurt on hand, and followed a Bittman recipe instead
https://cookieandkate.com/healthy-glute ... int/23706/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

InMyDreams wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:15 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:33 pm But I didn't find the custard sauce recipe.
Weird, it doesn't copy (fully) from my copy of the recipe, but click on the address in the downloaded recipe leads me right to it. I think this will work
https://www.thespruceeats.com/proper-cu ... ipe-434930?

and, RM, you might be interested in this GF recipe for gluten free apple crisp - a friend liked it, I didn't try it - I didn't have the yogurt on hand, and followed a Bittman recipe instead
https://cookieandkate.com/healthy-glute ... int/23706/
Thanks!

That thin-style custard really brings me back to when I lived in the U.K. :happy

And I'll borrow some of the ideas for the "crisp", including some of the links that recipe led to.
Yum.

Thanks!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Atlantic salmon, sofrito, and some salad greens dressed with a vinaigrette.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Cinnamon roll apple rose tart. Mmmmmm….a beautiful looking dish using cinnamon rolls & apples. It is easy to make, moist & not too sweet. Look how beautiful it is: https://tipbuzz.com/cinnamon-roll-apple-rose/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

PoppyA wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:27 pm Cinnamon roll apple rose tart. Mmmmmm….a beautiful looking dish using cinnamon rolls & apples. It is easy to make, moist & not too sweet. Look how beautiful it is: https://tipbuzz.com/cinnamon-roll-apple-rose/
That is quite a presentation.
How well do those very thin apple slices hold up with baking, the thin parts that protrude above the dough?

RM
Horton

Post by Horton »

My family usually enjoys recipes from Damn Delicious. Here are a few favorites:

1) Korean beef bowl: https://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/

2) Green chicken enchiladas: https://damndelicious.net/2019/03/01/gr ... nchiladas/

3) Thai basil chicken: https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/22/th ... ken-bowls/
80% global equities (faith-based tilt) + 20% TIPS (LDI)
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:33 pm
PoppyA wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:27 pm Cinnamon roll apple rose tart. Mmmmmm….a beautiful looking dish using cinnamon rolls & apples. It is easy to make, moist & not too sweet. Look how beautiful it is: https://tipbuzz.com/cinnamon-roll-apple-rose/
How well do those very thin apple slices hold up with baking, the thin parts that protrude above the dough?

RM
They hold up perfectly!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

PoppyA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:39 pm

RM
They hold up perfectly!
Some - such as the French baker Maison Kayser - dip the apples in a glaze of butter and egg white or butter and gelatin to keep them moist during baking. The butter flavor in the apple is killer!! !!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

A relative does a cabbage& kielbasa stew with tomatoes, potatoes, onion, garlic, spicy peppers and broccoli. It’s one of our go-to fall/winter dishes.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:51 pm
PoppyA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:39 pm

RM
They hold up perfectly!
Some - such as the French baker Maison Kayser - dip the apples in a glaze of butter and egg white or butter and gelatin to keep them moist during baking. The butter flavor in the apple is killer!! !!
Can you be a bit more specific about the butter/egg white or butter/gelatin glazes?
I'd be a bit less worried about those ultra thin apple slices.
OTOH, it seems it would take a LOT longer to dip each slice :shock:

This just looks so spectacular, and the simplicity of the actual ingredients... :wink:

Thanks!

RM
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Sorry, I just eat them, I don’t bake them. Back before maison Kayser, which was doing very well in NYC, left NYC permanently in the past year, I bought their apple tart, a square slice version, quite often. It was clear that the apples were soaked in butter and maybe cinnamon overnight which just LIT UP the natural apple flavor. As to the glaze, I’m guessing that it was egg white or gelatin.