So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by Sandtrap »

Kennedy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 pm I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.
Cooked in a "Ninja Air Fryer", comes out fresh cooked like baked. Cooks fast.

This is Sea Bass. Drizzle of sesame oil, lemon, ground pepper, local "Hawaii Blend Sprinkles", and chives before cooking.
Olive oil and balsalmic vinegar from a local vendor before eating. (fine sliced green onion is great if available). Also, Chinese Parsley.
Looks shiny because it is drenched in the balsalmic vinegar which I'm addicted to.

Fresh poi would be nice. But, there is no fresh poi where I live now. (Auwe!)
j :D
This looks amazing. What other kind of fish do you eat, and do you generally cook all types of fish in the air fryer?
Yes, We use the sir fryer a lot for fish because it does not come out too oily or dry or overcooked. Also fast cooking and easy clean up.
Mahi-mahi, Ahi, Halibut, Sea Bass, Salmon, etc.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 pm I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.

This is Sea Bass. Drizzle of sesame oil, lemon, ground pepper, local "Hawaii Blend Sprinkles", and chives before cooking.
Olive oil and balsalmic vinegar from a local vendor before eating. (fine sliced green onion is great if available). Also, Chinese Parsley.
Looks shiny because it is drenched in the balsalmic vinegar which I'm addicted to.

This looks amazing. What other kind of fish do you eat, and do you generally cook all types of fish in the air fryer?
Yes, We use the sir fryer a lot for fish because it does not come out too oily or dry or overcooked. Also fast cooking and easy clean up.

j🌺
Thank you! Which brand of air fryer are you using? Also, any idea what's in Hawaii Blend Sprinkles? I googled it, but nothing came up.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Kennedy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:53 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:41 pm

(delete image for space)

j🌺
Thank you! Which brand of air fryer are you using? Also, any idea what's in Hawaii Blend Sprinkles? I googled it, but nothing came up.
Ninja Air Fryer avail on Amazon.com
https://smile.amazon.com/1550-Watt-Prog ... 622&sr=8-4
I've bought 4 so far and they've lasted years for my son's families after I gave them the fryers as gifts. They used them daily as well.
Perfect for smaller meals since it's only DW and I at home.
The pot non stick coating is a bit thin so care must be taken when washing not to scratch and also pre oil and wipe that before cooking to help the non stick as it gets older.
**Tip: we put a large cutting board under the unit and put it under the range hood on the gas stove and put the range fan on medium to vent the fumes so the house doesn't smell.

2 medium large fish fillets take about 8 minutes, thicker takes 12-15 minutes. Careful not to overcook.
Sea Bass and Halibut from Costco is a good buy. Sea Bass is the most tender. Defrost the frozen fillets by soaking in warm water until it is soft, then rinse then dry, then marinade or season and cook.

My one recipe:
Coat pan with napkin with olive oil.
Drizzle lemon oil over the fish fillet
season with garlic salt chunks and pepper and Hawaiian bbq seasoning (or other fish/chicken seasoning mix) , dill, fine chopped green onion.
Cook for 8-12 minutes (take out when nearly almost cooked because it will continue to cook as it cools).
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil gourmet quality and balsalmic vinegar gourmet quality, sprinkle with fine chop green onions and chopped cilantro (chinese parsley).

DW's recipe:
As above: but marinade in lemon garlic for 1-2 hours. Delete Hawaiian seasoning. Sprinkle with fine chopped or crushed garlic before cooking and/or sprinkle with garlic bits browned seperately after cooking, sometimes use capers and lemons after cooking for a more italian flavor, serve.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Kennedy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:53 pm Thank you! Which brand of air fryer are you using? Also, any idea what's in Hawaii Blend Sprinkles? I googled it, but nothing came up.
Sandtrap put a picture of the Hawaii spice bottle on the thread shortly after the post you quoted. It was for Aloha Spice Company's spice blend called "Aloha Lu'au BBQ". The picture of the ingredients list sent me down quite the rabbit hole learning about Hawaiian sea salt, both the traditional form and the commercial form, so I recall that post quite distinctly. It's amazing what wondering "why is there red clay in a spice blend?" will take you to when you've got a night free to look into it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Beef Bourguignon in the crockpot. Recipe: Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon

Ignore the 20 minute prep time. I prepped everything the night before - it took me nearly 1-1/2 hours.
  • Cooked and chopped the bacon, sliced carrots and mushrooms, prepared garlic, measured out 1 pound of baby potatoes
  • The carrots and mushrooms were put in an airtight container and stored in the fridge
I substituted the chicken broth for leftover beef broth (what I had). For the wine, I used an already open bottle of California Merlot.

Tip: Never, ever use cooking wine. Any cheap bottle of "real" wine is far better than anything sold as cooking wine. When in doubt, never use cooking wine. A good rule of thumb is to cook with the wine you are drinking. The alcohol will evaporate as it cooks.

Step 2: Instead of a skillet which requires lifting and carefully pouring the sauce into a crockpot, I used a wok. This does two things:
  • Instead of 2-3 minutes browning on each side (very labor intensive and time consuming), I stir-fried the beef - done in 3 minutes (x 4 batches). I used a slotted spatula to stir-fry then transfer the beef to the crock pot. Easy.
  • Using a large skillet to pour a sauce takes skill and is difficult to manage. The wok works just fine to create and transfer the sauce to the crockpot.
Not in the recipe - I added my remaining leftover beef broth (< 1 cup), red wine (1 cup), and a bit more soy sauce. The extra liquids turned this into more of a soup than a stew.

I think the soy sauce made a big difference in the taste, along with using a good quality wine. Excellent.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sjl333

Post by sjl333 »

recently became keto....

just cooked bison (medium rare), steam broccoli and steamed cabbage, one avocado, 2 eggs, and a salad with tomatoes/olives/cheese and some sour cream.

definitely cant be eating bison everyday.... very expensive stuff.

And yes i ate it all in one meal, i only eat one meal a day. I do intermittent fasting, trying to live to 100!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Scallops and diced tomatoes over angel hair pasta.

Recipe: Angel Hair Pasta with Scallops and Tomatoes

There was a bit more liquid when I cooked the scallops and they turned out a bit tough.

For the wine, I used an open bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. This is a case where you definitely want to use the same wine you drink as you cook with - the flavor comes through.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I often make lamb bolognese in the slow cooker. Last night, for the first time ever, I tried doing the thing where you toss the pasta with the sauce (and some of the pasta water) rather than just putting sauce on top. Hey didn’t I do that before? Very tasty!

I also found out that I should be using linguine or tagliatelle rather than spaghetti, which I will try tonight or tomorrow night with the remaining sauce.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Is this cooking?

We've discovered Jersey Mike's, a franchise sub shop that's now everywhere.

Great subs. After eating a few I remembered we owned a Cuisinart Griddler that hadn't been used in 10+ years. So I'm now ordering Italian subs w/o oil and doing them as paninis.

AMEX has a current offer through June 15 for $5 back on a $15+ purchase, 2x on an account. JMs also has a loyalty program. I signed up a few months before my BD and got a free one. Their app works well.

Please, no comments on the health aspects of all the meats! They do have chicken, and now a portabello mushroom sub.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Works for me. In Philadelphia, we call those "hoagies".

Boneless pork ribs in the toaster oven.

- Slather with barbecue sauce and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours at 325 deg F.

Check the meat temperature when you're done. 145 deg F is the minimum safe temperature, but mine were closer to 160 deg F.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Smoking some beer brats on the Recteq and have potato salad chilling in the fridge. Our reward for yard work day.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Corned beef hash. I cooked the corned beef Saturday, baked a potatoe today (Monday), and am adding green pepper and onion. All diced. Frying it up in a little sunflower oil with salt and pepper. Should go pretty quick. Extra helping to be reheated tomorrow for brunch.

And yes I am leaving that typo.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Tuna casserole from this recipe: Best Tuna Casserole Recipe

Caution: Don't adjust the number of servings, the math is hosed. If you click on the "Adjust" button, you need to reload the page.

- I used a full can of sliced mushrooms. In hindsight, I should have just gotten fresh mushrooms and sliced them myself.
- Instead of potato chips on top, I sprinkled bread crumbs.
- I shred my own cheese. 2 cups of shredded cheese is close to 8 oz of cheese.

Watch the video to see how the ingredients are mixed - order matters.
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

A big batch (3 quarts) of ranchero sauce. Huevos rancheros tomorrow morning, followed by who knows what during the week ahead. Lots of possibilities!
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm Beef Bourguignon in the crockpot. Recipe: Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon

Ignore the 20 minute prep time. I prepped everything the night before - it took me nearly 1-1/2 hours.
  • Cooked and chopped the bacon, sliced carrots and mushrooms, prepared garlic, measured out 1 pound of baby potatoes
  • The carrots and mushrooms were put in an airtight container and stored in the fridge
I substituted the chicken broth for leftover beef broth (what I had). For the wine, I used an already open bottle of California Merlot.

Tip: Never, ever use cooking wine. Any cheap bottle of "real" wine is far better than anything sold as cooking wine. When in doubt, never use cooking wine. A good rule of thumb is to cook with the wine you are drinking. The alcohol will evaporate as it cooks.

Step 2: Instead of a skillet which requires lifting and carefully pouring the sauce into a crockpot, I used a wok. This does two things:
  • Instead of 2-3 minutes browning on each side (very labor intensive and time consuming), I stir-fried the beef - done in 3 minutes (x 4 batches). I used a slotted spatula to stir-fry then transfer the beef to the crock pot. Easy.
  • Using a large skillet to pour a sauce takes skill and is difficult to manage. The wok works just fine to create and transfer the sauce to the crockpot.
Not in the recipe - I added my remaining leftover beef broth (< 1 cup), red wine (1 cup), and a bit more soy sauce. The extra liquids turned this into more of a soup than a stew.

I think the soy sauce made a big difference in the taste, along with using a good quality wine. Excellent.

LG

here's the Instant Pot version:
https://meaningfuleats.com/instant-pot-beef-burgundy/

as noted by her... use "real" wine (not "cooking" wine)...
I use a decent but inexpensive Cabernet... very flavorful
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Re: "real wine" for cooking.

Yes indeed!

We found an Italian wine that is reasonably decent (meaning it's meant for drinking :happy ) that comes in splits. That means, a quarter of a regular wine bottle.

Cavit (Cabernet or Pinot Grigio).

This is perfect when a recipe calls for some wine but one doesn't want to open a regular bottle.
And it usually leaves enough for the chef to, er, avoid wasting any extra :wink:

We like "fine wine", but we also find this Cavit Cabernet drinkable for a non-special meal, or for evenings when we still want to do some work, etc.

And I just noticed that it's possible to customize labels on these little bottles:

https://www.personalwine.com/wine/cavit ... case-of-24

That could be fun for party favors or ?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

tooluser wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:29 pm Corned beef hash. I cooked the corned beef Saturday, baked a potatoe today (Monday), and am adding green pepper and onion. All diced. Frying it up in a little sunflower oil with salt and pepper. Should go pretty quick. Extra helping to be reheated tomorrow for brunch.

One of my favorite Vice Presidents. :happy
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Home made granola. I had no idea how easy it is to make, and how tasty it is. And I get to control what ingredients and how much of them. Great way of disposing of small quantities. The rest of the pistachios. The pecans that aren't as good as I thought. Hmm, what about some vanilla bean? Oh, that was good!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

White pizza with spinach and garlic.

I started with Sausage & Spinach White Deep Dish Pizza, but didn't want the sausage. This turned out to be a single full-size regular pizza.

First, I made pizza dough with my KitchenAid mixer. Roll it out to full size and place on a pizza peel. The peel is dusted with corn meal so it easily slides off the peel.

- Shred 8 oz. of mozarella, part skim. I have the KitchenAid attachment for that.

- Shred about 1/2 head of garlic with a press.
- I probably didn't have enough spinach (4 cups is needed), but it's what I had. Cut the stems off.
- Combine the spinach and garlic in a large pan and saute until the spinach turns dark green and shrinks quite a bit.

- Spread the ricotta (8 oz) on the pizza dough
- Mozarella is next
- Spinach and garlic mixture on top
- Transfer to the pizza stone in the preheated 400 deg F oven. Cook for 18 minutes, remove when the cheese starts to bubble - also check for brown crust.

The crust turned out thick and chewy.

The pizza was very filling because I used twice as much cheese as the recipe called for. I simply cut my standard pizza serving size from 2 slices to 1 slice. There's no such thing as a bad pizza.

If I do this recipe again, I should follow the instructions and bake the dough first.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

7eight9 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:36 pm
tooluser wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:29 pm Corned beef hash. I cooked the corned beef Saturday, baked a potatoe today (Monday), and am adding green pepper and onion. All diced. Frying it up in a little sunflower oil with salt and pepper. Should go pretty quick. Extra helping to be reheated tomorrow for brunch.

One of my favorite Vice Presidents. :happy
Getting this reference made me feel very old :P
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Tri-tip roast in the oven and stove top, per this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKvjE2rlco
Tri-tip is better on the grill, but this is the best oven recipe I have found. Finishes on the stove top.
The green/garlic topping is also quite good. The oil absorbs and tones down the garlic. Kind of magical, maybe hold off a little on the onions.
You can skip over the nonsense in the middle (~minutes 9-12) while he jokes with the video crew and wakes up some leftover potatoes.

Add salad from a bag with some dressing, and some instant stuffing. Dinner fit for a king, or me.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Yesterday:

Grilled (smoked) on Weber Charcoal grill - 6 Chicken Thighs...on sale at local market @ $.88 per pound. I brined in water, Kosher Salt, and brown sugar, added wood chips to fire and grilled to about 185 degrees. Added a salad from garden (lettuce, spinach, kale) and store purchased corn/cob (which was a bit tough).

Tonight it appears I will return to visit Mr. Weber as a Flank Steak is on the kitchen counter thawing. Will have another garden salad....we are flush with lettuce now.

Ed
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Last night we tried a couple new recipes I saw somewhere (don't remember where...I just collect them all in a folder on my PC) on the grill.

Salad: charred grape tomatoes, arugula, charred yellow pepper, charred corn (cut off the cob). Dressing: lime zest/juice, OO, jalapeno, cilantro, fresh garlic, ginger, turmeric.

Cod: Topped with mixture (blended in food processor) of onion, butter, parmesan, mayo, lemon juice/zest, Old Bay, parsley. Panko breadcrumbs added on top of mixture.

It was easy overall and really tasty. I had never used fresh turmeric before. I put the fish on a sheet pan rack to make it easy to get on/off the grill without worrying about sticking or it falling apart. I also used a grill pan with holes to char the grape tomatoes so they wouldn't fall through the grates.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I recently hosted a dinner party with some friends. This was a hit: Mediterranean Farfalle Toss with Shrimp

In the hope of having leftovers, I doubled the recipe. The doubled recipe call for "1 box" of pasta and never mentioned the box size. I would assume 12 oz., but all I could find was 16 oz. boxes. It worked, but would go for a 12 oz. box if I made this again.

It was much easier to do everything in a wok instead of a skillet.

The recipe suggests serving it warm. It tastes just fine eating it cold - especially when the weather is hot. There's not as much leftover as I thought...
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm I recently hosted a dinner party with some friends. This was a hit: Mediterranean Farfalle Toss with Shrimp

In the hope of having leftovers, I doubled the recipe. The doubled recipe call for "1 box" of pasta and never mentioned the box size. I would assume 12 oz., but all I could find was 16 oz. boxes. It worked, but would go for a 12 oz. box if I made this again.

It was much easier to do everything in a wok instead of a skillet.

The recipe suggests serving it warm. It tastes just fine eating it cold - especially when the weather is hot. There's not as much leftover as I thought...
That looks yummy... and so easy!

As for the amount of leftovers, it says 4 servings, so double is 8 (I checked with my abacus).
But did you SEE the portion being held in the photo? A tiny plate, and the outside edge (perhaps an inch?) was lattice, so it held no food. Harrummph!

Also, we've found that the pasta packages that say "serves 4"? Um, they don't. :wink:
So... half a box, and you're eating alone or with the cat (who may be already interested in that shrimp before any invitation :D )

This looks simple and fresh for a warm evening.
Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I had a strong hankering for garlic and pasta. Also, I had some shrimp I wanted to use up.

I went back to one of very few cook books I own - Ciao Italia, by Mary Ann Esposito, 1991. Salsa di Aglio e Olio, otherwise known as Garlic and Oil Sauce. This is my "go to" recipe, so I did. There is no shrimp whatsoever in this recipe, but I added it anyway.

To my surprise, the recipe is online: Garlic and Oil Sauce / Salsa Aglio e Olio You can watch the video.

I made a few changes -

- I used 1/2 pound of spaghetti because that's what my book said to use.
- No parsley, didn't have any
- No red pepper flakes, it wasn't in my book recipe
- I added 1 pound of cleaned shrimp when I sauted the oil and garlic. Cooked for 3 minutes - when the shrimp was done
- Added the oil / garlic / shrimp mixture to the spaghetti, not the other way around

Adding the 1/3 cup of reserved cooking water makes a difference. Even without the shrimp, it's important to not skip this step.

If you've never made Salsa di Aglio e Olio before, give it a try. It really is an easy dish to make. Be sure to serve it with some good Italian bread to sop up the sauce.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

Simple recipe with honey, mint from or deck pot, carrots: https://www.food.com/recipe/honey-mint-carrots-31814

Serve cold. Great for summer.
csm

Post by csm »

I finally bought an Instant Pot - they had the 3 qt. on sale during Prime Day.

First dish I made was pulled pork and it was excellent. I looked up several recipes and ended up combining ideas from a few based on what I had available (the dry rub had cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, etc.) and then I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce mixed with water for the pressure cooking.

The boneless pork butt was from Butcher Box and quite large, so I split it in half since we are only two and the 3 qt. pot seemed small for the whole thing.

With the other half of the pork, I did a simple Instant Pot pork roast - saute the pork, add onions, garlic and chicken broth and pressure cook for 30 minutes. It came out so juicy and tender.

Last night, I made boneless chicken thighs and brown rice with garlic, herbs de Provence, bone broth - also excellent, very moist and tender chicken and the rice was cooked well.

I will be on the look out for more recipes where I can just toss everything in the pot at once, press start, and let it do its thing.
flyninjasquirrel

Post by flyninjasquirrel »

https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Indian Butter Chicken. One of my favorite Instant Pot recipes.
csm

Post by csm »

flyninjasquirrel wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:47 am https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Indian Butter Chicken. One of my favorite Instant Pot recipes.
Thank you! Just saved it - I love Butter Chicken.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I just taught myself to make crumpets. Will post recipe if there is interest.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I was in the mood for chicken in a crockpot and found: Slow Cooker Chicken Kale Soup -

I like kale and looked no further. I made the suggested serving size (15 cups) and it nearly filled my 6 qt. crockpot.

Ignore the prep time, it took close to an hour. Add about 10 minutes to shred the chicken when it's nearly done. I didn't use a bay leaf and forgot the thyme.

As for the red wine vinegar, I rarely use it and it wasn't worth buying an entire bottle. Instead I substituted a 50 / 50 mix of vinegar and red wine. Substitutes are suggested in Red Wine Vinegar Substitutes. I have apple cider vinegar, but thought it would be too sweet.

I'll be eating this over the next week or so, but it hit the spot.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Based on Sandtrap's suggestion, I bought an air fryer. Wish I had bought the size he had suggested, but it allows me to bake or roast in the middle of summer. Also based on his suggestion, I bought halibut fillets at Costco. Goodness, seafood has become pricey.

Anyway, I've been air frying the halibut with fajita spices in the air fryer - defrost the fillet, cut into rectangles, dust with the fajita spices, spray with avocado oil (your choice) and lay out in single layer on the fryer grill. About 5 minutes at 360deg.

I had tried the same thing with the peppers and onions, but found they were more steamed than fried. Perhaps if I had put fewer in the fryer at a time.

So good that I did it again tonight :)
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

chris319 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:17 am I just taught myself to make crumpets. Will post recipe if there is interest.
Interested. I have flour, yeast, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and water. The only crumpets I've had were from Trader Joe's. They were tasty enough but not what I thought they would be - they never got brown or crispy, but were more like cooked, holey dough discs.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Pan fried chicken, fried green tomatoes and summer squash with butter and onions last night. Tonight was T-bone steak and oven roasted Brussels sprouts.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I tried store-bought crumpets once and they were quite disappointing.

CRUMPETS

1 C AP flour (125 g) (100%)
1 tsp salt (12 g) (9.6%) (adjust salt to taste)
3/4 C warm water (237 g) (133.33%)
10.5 g yeast (8%)
Butter (not oil)

Important! Heat water for 15 seconds in microwave oven.

If you have a very large (4 cup) measuring cup, you can make the batter in it. This makes it easy to pour the batter into the skillet.

Whisk together flour and salt. Add yeast and water, mix. Cover and let batter rise for ½ hour. Batter will be puffy.

Spoon or pour batter into heated skillet. Use crumpet rings if you have them.

A traditional British crumpet is cooked on one side only. I have found it best to start with a skillet at medium-high heat so that the bottoms brown and the batter sets on the top. Once the tops have set, reduce the heat to cook all the way through without burning the bottoms. If not cooked sufficiently, the insides will be raw and yucky.

Cook them in a skillet with a light coating of butter. I've tried using oil and the flavor was unsatisfactory.
When the tops are set, reduce heat and allow to cook a while longer. Bottoms should be golden brown. Let them cook as long as possible without burning the bottoms so that crumpets cook all the way through.

Some recipes call for baking powder but I have omitted it to keep the sodium content low.
Last edited by chris319 on Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Breakfast for our Old Men's Morning Coffee Group.

Just finished the venison sausage gravy, and the yellow corn stone ground grits are in the crock pot. Biscuits are about to go in the oven. As soon as I get to our meeting place, I'll fry up sausage, ham and bacon on my portable griddle, and then cook the eggs to order. Homemade fig preserves, homemade red plum jelly, and lots of coffee.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

csm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:41 am I finally bought an Instant Pot - they had the 3 qt. on sale during Prime Day.
I have a small kitchen and never much use the Crock Pot anymore, so I've been on the fence about buying an Instant Pot. Would it have the same impact in everyday cooking for a couple of people as, say, using a rice cooker instead of using a pot to cook rice?
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

Steak salad. Romaine lettuce, chopped, along with grilled zucchini, grilled mini- sweet peppers and grilled mushrooms. Toss with creamy Caesar dressing (not very much) and arrange a grilled and sliced ribeye steak around the edge of the plate. Serve on a full size dinner plate. One ribeye is good for my wife and me. We go for prime steaks from the local butcher shop.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:53 am
csm wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:41 am I finally bought an Instant Pot - they had the 3 qt. on sale during Prime Day.
I have a small kitchen and never much use the Crock Pot anymore, so I've been on the fence about buying an Instant Pot. Would it have the same impact in everyday cooking for a couple of people as, say, using a rice cooker instead of using a pot to cook rice?
I received an Instant Pot last year as a gift and really like it. It's great with things like rice and steel cut oatmeal (and quick). There are many Youtube video recipes and other online resources as well for most popular dishes. I have a crock pot but haven't used it since I received the Instant Pot. My relatives love their Instant Pots as well. I think you would like it.
csm

Post by csm »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:53 am
It's still early days for me and I'm mixed on whether I could just as easily have lived without it.

For plain rice, I find it just as easy to cook in a saucepan. The benefit comes when putting together a full dish, like when I made chicken and brown rice combined with herbs and spices. I also liked making pork in the instant pot because it came out tender and juicy, which I have found difficult with American pork that I usually find dry and tough (after living 30 years in Denmark with fantastic pork).

I also have limited space which is why I bought the 3 qt. version, but I had to find space in a cupboard to put it away because I don't want it on the counter. I reserved counter space for the Vitamix, but the Instant Pot doesn't earn counter space for me yet.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

csm wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:15 pm For plain rice, I find it just as easy to cook in a saucepan.
I was of that attitude for many years, then I got a simple non-stick rice cooker and being able to instantly wash the non-stick pan afterwards, versus having to soak a saucepan/pot to get the stuck-on rice off, was far more life-changing than I had imagined it would be for such a simple thing.
csm wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:15 pm The benefit comes when putting together a full dish, like when I made chicken and brown rice combined with herbs and spices. I also liked making pork in the instant pot because it came out tender and juicy, which I have found difficult with American pork that I usually find dry and tough (after living 30 years in Denmark with fantastic pork).
That sounds like a plus. I don't cook pork very often because I find it's too dry, and drowning pulled pork in BBQ sauce is not the most healthy solution to the dry pork issue.
csm wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:15 pm I also have limited space which is why I bought the 3 qt. version, but I had to find space in a cupboard to put it away because I don't want it on the counter. I reserved counter space for the Vitamix, but the Instant Pot doesn't earn counter space for me yet.
Oh, this would definitely live in a cupboard between uses. I barely have the counter space for the microwave, toaster, and tea kettle if I still want to leave one counter clear for cleaning and prep work. It's a very tiny kitchen.
csm

Post by csm »

Mudpuppy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:02 pm
That sounds like a plus. I don't cook pork very often because I find it's too dry, and drowning pulled pork in BBQ sauce is not the most healthy solution to the dry pork issue.
This was the pork roast recipe I used - very simple and minimal ingredients:

https://cookthestory.com/instant-pot-roast-pork/

I'd had a 2 1/2 pound pork butt that I cut in half. I made half as pulled pork the first night, then the rest of it using this recipe the second night. I didn't even bother to do the searing step. It was very moist and tender. I'll definitely make this one again.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's the peak of summer and I wanted something served cold. I made this: Macaroni Salad with Ham and Peas

- Instead of currants, I used golden raisins - what I had.
- Reading the comments, I added an 8 oz. jar of sun-dried tomatoes (chopped into small pieces).
- I don't use bottled lemon juice. Instead, I just squeeze a fresh lemon through a strainer.
- I used close to 3/4 pound of ham, which was probably too much.

The raisins and sun-dried tomatoes give this dish an interesting contrast of tastes.

Substituting golden raisins for currants will certainly change the intended taste, but I like it.

The only thing I would do differently is to cut the recipe in half. I'll be eating this over the next week.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Beginner's Poutine

1 largish serving crinkle-cut frozen french fries
1/3 cup turkey gravy from a jar
4 slices turkey lunch meat, chopped
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used a pre-shredded 4-cheese blend)
1/2 scallion, sliced fine on a diagonal (Classy!)

I baked the fries in the toaster oven (22 minutes).
I chopped the turkey and sliced the scallion while the fries were cooking.
I heated up the gravy in the microwave oven, all of 60 seconds, timed to be hot when the fries are done.

Fries done, tipped them into a medium bowl.
Poured the hot gravy on top.
Added turkey, then cheese. Microwaved for 20 seconds.
Added scallions.
Ate it!

Wow, was that good! (No health claims are made thereupon.)
csm

Post by csm »

Another quick Instant Pot recipe last night -- Salmon with Rice

1/2 cup of rice (I used basmati, recipe called for jasmine)
1/2 cup of water

Put rice and water in the Instant Pot

Salmon fillets - place on top of rice (I had two wild Alaskan salmon fillets but prefer Atlantic salmon)

Mix a little minced ginger, sesame oil and brown sugar (I substituted olive oil and honey for the latter two) and smear it on top of the salmon.

Pressure cook for 4 minutes, then let naturally release.

Mix a little olive oil, soy sauce (I used Worcestershire), rice vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar), garlic powder and parsley to drizzle over the salmon and rice after plating.

I also steamed broccoli to serve with it.

I was not expecting it to turn out as good as it did. Only four minutes of pressure cooking and the rice was perfect, the salmon was moist.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

chris319 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:45 am
CRUMPETS
I tried this recipe this morning, but alas it did not work for me. I am quite sure much of that is my fault (first time, and I never do well with yeast for some reason, probably too impatient). It seemed salty to me but that might have been attenuated if they had cooked properly.

However, you have enthused me to try crumpets again with some modifications!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

My tomato plants have started producing. The usual way to use lots of tomatoes is to make sauce and freeze it. I found something easier: Gazpacho

The quantities are off because I wanted to use up all of my fresh tomatoes. Here's what I used (different than the recipe, but it's what I had):

- Enough tomatoes to fill my blender to the "max liquid" level (what I had)
- 2 cloves of fresh pressed garlic
- A generous shake of cumin powder
- 6+ tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 of a large red bell pepper (what I had)
- Instead of sherry vinegar, I applied a generous splash of red wine and 2+ teaspoons of white vinegar
- A thick slice of my homemade bread, chopped into cubes. This week it's chia seed.

Blend for 4 minutes. Put it in the fridge. Done.

It was a bit heavy on the garlic, but that's fine by me. It's a nice change of pace for lunch.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Homemade hot pepper jelly.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

wabbott wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:17 pm Homemade hot pepper jelly.
What kind of pepper(s)? No matter which type, I can't help but think it would be tremendous on a lamb burger.