So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by Sandtrap »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:08 pm Earlier this week, at DW's suggestion, I googled for a recipe and tried my hand at chicken piccata. I must have done it right, she raved about it and ate it up. To my taste, it was just a bit too tart.
Chicken Picatta (any picatta).

Tomatoes (more sweet)
Sweet or Maui Onions (more sweet)
Capers (more tangy)
Lemon (more tart)
Salt (more salty/sweet, less bitter)
Also: cut of the chicken changes the texture and flavor.

per an Italian chef that i met long ago when i was trying to get some picatta tips from him.
j :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Made a Hot Chicken Salad yesterday, using cooked turkey that had been in the freezer for a bit too long - turned out well, and served it with rice.

Plan to make ATK's stove top Mac 'n' Cheese for lunch.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Skeeter1 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 am I have not cooked with it yet, but my kids bought me a Anova sous-vide cooking device. I will try this week to make an "egg bites" recipe that is supposedly a 5 star recipe. If anyone has any sous-vide recipies that they enjoy, I would appreciate the input.
Thanks
Anova has a pretty good collection of recipes on their website.

I use the immersion circulator (mine's a PolyScience) for many of our proteins. I usually vac-pac raw in portions with just salt and pepper, especially pork and steaks, then cook to desired temperature and finish with a sear - I'll add a little seasoning after sous vide and right before sear.

By doing the vac-pac, I have portions in the freezer, ready to cook. All I need to do is add 30-60 minutes to the cook time and can cook from frozen. Pork chops I do to 135F; steaks to around 125-128F.

We also love it for reheating leftovers. We can bring leftover prime rib, flank steak, pulled pork, or smoked brisket up to dining temperature without overcooking it.
Van

Post by Van »

Valentines Day, so something special (I hope).

Reverse sear prime rib. I did this method once and it was really good. Give it a try. This time I'm actually using a prime grade cut of prime rib. Most of what you buy is choice grade. I got it from Costco, and I never have tried their prime rib before.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We picked up Christmas Eve dinner from a local restaurant we've gone to and enjoyed for years. I recall it was a very good beef filet dish.

On a whim we ordered a quiche Lorraine for the next day. It was wonderful!

That got us started. We've resurrected our own recipes for quiche since then. We've baked several a week: mostly spinach onion soup mix, but we just did our own quiche Lorraine. We though the challenge would be staying gluten-free due to sensitivity.

It turned out to not be a big deal. We use a solid ceramic quiche dish, no metal insert. No pie crust. Simply use a little butter to grease the dish and bake. The recipe from many years ago used a package of Lipton's Onion Soup (or was it Knorrs). Despite no listing for flour, neither will claim to be GF. So I found a recipe to make-your-own Lipton Onion Soup mix. Easy!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I had extra celery, so I tried something new: Celery Soup

I couldn't fit everything in my saucepan, so I used my Dutch oven.

I transferred the soup to my Ninja blender with a ladle. It fit with some room to spare and I blended away.

I then added more heavy cream than the recipe called for (about 1 cup) and blended again, albeit a bit slower.

I'm storing it in the fridge in the blender container. Serving is a few seconds in the blender, then pouring it into a bowl and microwaving for 2 minutes (covered).

I wouldn't rave about it as much as they do in the recipe. It's a nice change of pace, but it should probably be served with something else - not as a main course.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am going to cook breakfast for dinner!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
PoundCake

Post by PoundCake »

Sausage, potato, and arugula "salad." Because it's very cold where I live.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/saus ... h-arugula/
mkc

Post by mkc »

Learned a dear neighbor broke her dominant arm a few days ago, and her husband (85 y.o.) isn't exactly comfortable cooking things. I know they prefer her homemade soup for dinner, so tonight I made Cooking Light's Italian Sausage Soup (it's basically 5 ingredients but tastes like you cooked all day) and some garlic knots just so I could take them 2 meals' worth. Tomorrow will be ATK's slow cooker ham and split pea soup for dinner delivery.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Planning a chicken curry for tomorrow.

I was inspired today at the Buddhist temple where I go to commune, at times.

They held a fundraiser (outside, spaced wide) and sold Thai food to raise funds for the temple.

I had wonderful satay and papaya salad.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Spinach-ricotta pie (I usually do it without a crust).

It's a very forgiving combo of eggs (beaten), ricotta cheese, cream/milk, grated parmesan, optional chopped/sauteed onion or shallots, a few seasonings (nutmeg makes a particularly nice addition), and a bag or two of frozen chopped spinach. (It's important to cook and drain the spinach well. When the cooked spinach is in a strainer, I press it a lot with something like the back of a soup ladle, until there is very little liquid remaining).

In years past, I used that Birds Eye box of frozen spinach, which is still available. But the far-easier-to-use frozen "microwave in the bag" chopped spinach is not only easier to use but much less expensive.
(I'm surprised the little boxed version is still available, given the ease of use and lower expense of the bagged version.)

This has always been a big hit, and in the past for dinner parties, I'd usually make this as an appetizer, often divided into individual little ramekin dishes. But served as a "pie", in slices, also works very well.
These days, we eat it as a main course.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:58 pm I had extra celery, so I tried something new: Celery Soup

I transferred the soup to my Ninja blender with a ladle. It fit with some room to spare and I blended away.

I then added more heavy cream than the recipe called for (about 1 cup) and blended again, albeit a bit slower.

I'm storing it in the fridge in the blender container. Serving is a few seconds in the blender, then pouring it into a bowl and microwaving for 2 minutes (covered).

I wouldn't rave about it as much as they do in the recipe. It's a nice change of pace, but it should probably be served with something else - not as a main course.
I sliced and cooked a pound of Italian sausage and added it to the blender. Then, I topped it off with another cup of chicken broth (the rest of the box). That's what I was looking for - it was missing the meat. And I was in the mood for sausage. The consistency is a thick soup, but it works.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mkc

Post by mkc »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:49 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:58 pm I had extra celery, so I tried something new: Celery Soup

I sliced and cooked a pound of Italian sausage and added it to the blender. Then, I topped it off with another cup of chicken broth (the rest of the box). That's what I was looking for - it was missing the meat. And I was in the mood for sausage. The consistency is a thick soup, but it works.
I found similar with a Milk Street tortilla soup recipe. We weren't as impressed as the reviewers were - it missed something. I saved it as a soup base and found it much better when I added cooked, shredded chicken to it.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Sat: Two lamb shoulder chops, grilled in a cast iron skillet. Tender, tasty, but lots of connective tissue and fat to deal with. As a result, mostly a finger food. Very caveman. A side of steamed asparagus, which was better than the meat.

Sun: Two lamb shoulder chops, braised for 3 hours in the oven with some vegetables. Tender, tasty, and somewhat less connective tissue and fat to deal with, since much of it melted away. Edible with knife and fork, no fingers, almost sophisticated. With leftover cold asparagus. I think curried goat would work better than this.

I have come to the conclusion that I greatly prefer lamb as rib chops/rack of lamb (fairly cheap at Costco), or loin chops, or boneless leg, or even ground. It was fun to try something new though.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

My goal this year is to cook dishes from 52 different countries. I'm also adding in some regional US specialties.

So, for Mardi Gras I made Gumbo, and for India this week I made Butter Chicken.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Can anyone recommend web sites or a physical book on cooking simple meals?

Due to various stomach issues over the years my diet is somewhat limited (via trial/error) but I eat a bunch of chicken, turkey and ham. I like italian foods with tomato type sauces but I can't eat too much of them, nor cream based sauces due to my stomach. Often it is just chicken sandwiches or maybe rice and chicken but I would like to try some different things but don't know where to start.

My GF cooks some but grew up with a mostly Mexican type diet which isn't my type of food for many reasons.

A previous lady friend once showed me how to slice up potatoes and cook them in olive oil with various seasonings and they are very tasty. Yeah, probably a simple idea but stuff like that works for me. Maybe different topics for chicken, easy to make sauces for the rice, etc. I spent most of my life eating out.

Thanks.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

rich126 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:57 am Can anyone recommend web sites or a physical book on cooking simple meals?

Due to various stomach issues over the years my diet is somewhat limited (via trial/error) but I eat a bunch of chicken, turkey and ham. I like italian foods with tomato type sauces but I can't eat too much of them, nor cream based sauces due to my stomach. Often it is just chicken sandwiches or maybe rice and chicken but I would like to try some different things but don't know where to start.

My GF cooks some but grew up with a mostly Mexican type diet which isn't my type of food for many reasons.

A previous lady friend once showed me how to slice up potatoes and cook them in olive oil with various seasonings and they are very tasty. Yeah, probably a simple idea but stuff like that works for me. Maybe different topics for chicken, easy to make sauces for the rice, etc. I spent most of my life eating out.

Thanks.
This is a nice cookbook, simple, heavy on vegs, free too. It was a boglehead recommendation.
https://books.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

hicabob wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 pm
rich126 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:57 am Can anyone recommend web sites or a physical book on cooking simple meals?

Thanks.
This is a nice cookbook, simple, heavy on vegs, free too. It was a boglehead recommendation.
https://books.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf
Wow, the recipes look good and easy! I’ve downloaded and will try some recipes.
Financologist

Post by Financologist »

Great breakfast this past weekend..

breaded/fried green tomatoes and tomatillos
harissa hash browns
sunny side-up eggs
spicy smashed avocado with lime
cranberry walnut toast with apricot preserves

best part about it.. cooked and enjoyed with DW
Financologist
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

rich126 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:57 am Can anyone recommend web sites or a physical book on cooking simple meals? ...
If by “simple” you mean easy and fast, check out Rachael Ray’s multi-season TV episodes /cookbooks for 30-minute meals.
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

I recently tried and greatly enjoyed smoked chicken drumsticks with Alabama white sauce (mayonnaise-based BBQ sauce with a plethora of pepper).
Recipe here: https://www.smoking-meat.com/june-15-20 ... drumsticks
Chip

Post by Chip »

Since there have been several mentions of the Milk Street cooking show, I thought I'd throw in their Gochujang Pulled Pork Sliders. We made them a couple of months ago and they're really amazing. Don't skip the toppings; Gingery Pickled Carrots and Gochujang Sour Cream.

This was our first experience using gochujang (a Korean fermented chili paste). The place we bought it had mild and very hot. We like spicy food and I almost bought the very hot, but ended up opting for mild. Good decision, as it was very spicy just using the mild. It might have been tough to eat if we'd used the very hot.

The finished pork freezes well.
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

mkc wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:29 pm
Skeeter1 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 am I have not cooked with it yet, but my kids bought me a Anova sous-vide cooking device. I will try this week to make an "egg bites" recipe that is supposedly a 5 star recipe. If anyone has any sous-vide recipies that they enjoy, I would appreciate the input.
Thanks
Anova has a pretty good collection of recipes on their website.

I use the immersion circulator (mine's a PolyScience) for many of our proteins. I usually vac-pac raw in portions with just salt and pepper, especially pork and steaks, then cook to desired temperature and finish with a sear - I'll add a little seasoning after sous vide and right before sear.

By doing the vac-pac, I have portions in the freezer, ready to cook. All I need to do is add 30-60 minutes to the cook time and can cook from frozen. Pork chops I do to 135F; steaks to around 125-128F.

We also love it for reheating leftovers. We can bring leftover prime rib, flank steak, pulled pork, or smoked brisket up to dining temperature without overcooking it.
Thanks for the tips.Smart idea with the pre-pack portioning especially after picking up supplies at Costco. :beer
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I'm having to change my plans for dinner tonight to putting together an impromptu meal from what I have in the freezer and pantry, rather than my planned chicken and vegetable dish, as I experienced my first extreme grocery curbside pickup snafu this afternoon. When I got home, all of my refrigerated items were missing. I called the store to see if those bags were accidentally left in the pickup fridge, and they weren't there either. Someone who did a pickup before me must have gotten extra bags of chicken, vegetables, and fruit. The grocery store is re-shopping that part of the order and issuing a credit for the inconvenience, but the next available pickup time slot was not in time for today's dinner.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Just adapted a couple of recipes to make Calzones

NYT quick pizza dough recipe - easy, but called for bread flour. I used all purpose, but two tablespoons of flour with dough conditioner/gluten.

Then I had seen Sara Moulton making a broccoli pocket using herbed cheese (Boursin) as the flavor for the broccoli.

So, I made the garlic chicken sausage/mushroom/onion mix that I've done before for red sauce, placed it on pizza dough with some Boursin (garlic and herb), folded it over and baked at 500 for 9 minutes.

Good, tho a bit salty. And simple to repeat with the extra dough that I made.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

So excited. We moved to SC in July of 2019 and I haven't been able to find pork shanks anywhere, but they were at the grocery store today. Too late today but tomorrow I'm going to make my pinto bean recipe and let it simmer for about 6 hours in our old cast iron pot, with cut up pork shanks, 6 cloves of garlic, yellow onion, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper.

I'll also make my potato salad. 4 large potatoes, mayo, white onion, diced dill pickles, olives, 10 boiled eggs, 2 more on top sliced, pickle juice, salt and pepper.

Not exactly health food, but once in awhile you have to go for it.

Oh yeah, on the beans soak them overnight then cook with 6 cups of fresh water.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I made a Shepherd’s Pie the other day, which my wife loved. I am using Wegman’s lamb from New Zealand in all sorts of things, from Bolognese to chili to meatballs.

I posted this because it is the first time I have made mashed potatoes. I am almost 70 years old, and it’s about time :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

vested1 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:50 am So excited. We moved to SC in July of 2019 and I haven't been able to find pork shanks anywhere, but they were at the grocery store today.
I am in 100% agreement with this. When making beans I have tried versions of:

Ham hocks - best overall for connective tissue that melts and thickens, but typically have very little meat that is a bit tough
Pork neck bones - they shed little flakes of bone that are hard to find and often end up in one's mouth - hazardous
Turkey wings - not much flavor
Turkey leg - usually too big, flavor lacking
City Ham - kind of spongy and uninteresting (I have not tried country ham)
Salt pork - not smoked, less flavor
Bacon - gets leathery if pre-cooked, kinda gross if put in raw in big pieces
Pork shanks - great taste, good sized, plenty of meat with good texture, not hazardous

But I cannot always find pork shanks either.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Veal parmigiana with a side of sautéed mushrooms with garlic.

I liked the combination so much, I eliminated the side dish and simply put the mushrooms on top of the veal. Heat and serve as leftovers.

Recipes:
- Sautéed Mushrooms with Garlic Butter
- Veal Parmigiana
brandy

Post by brandy »

We just had "Zucchini Crusted Pizza" from Dana Carpender's book "500 Low Carb Recipes" https://forums.cuisineathome.com/showth ... #pid129895
I don't know if I was especially hungry or the pizza was GOOD, but I just loved it.
Google other recipes for it too.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

We made a great tasting meatloaf last night with steamed cauliflower, broccoli and cheese mashed potatoes. It was delicious and we’re having leftovers tonight. My have a heavy hopped IPA with it for me and a peanut butter flavored whiskey for DW.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Heating pizza in microwave.

Tony
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I don’t know how to cook. So cereal it is, again.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

"Red Wine-Braised Chicken Thighs With Root Vegetables"'

Recipe from Washington Post.

I made large dice of parsnips, carrot, rutabaga, and turnips, and added them to the browned boneless, skinless chicken thighs and pearl onions, along with chicken broth, red wine, red wine vinegar, and a large dash of balsamic vinegar, adding bayleaf, thyme, and a bit of tomato paste.

As with many braised/stew type dishes, it tasted even better the next day.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Beef stroganoff in a crock pot.

Source: Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe

It takes more than 10 minutes to prep. I used a serving size of 6 (hover your mouse over the servings to adjust) and suspect this will last more than a week.

I have leftover beef broth, so a crock pot of some kind will be next.

Last week, I made shrimp scampi served over rice.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 pm Heating pizza in microwave.

Tony
So, was it Tony's Pizza?
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:55 pm Last week, I made shrimp scampi served over rice.
So, was the Scampi good? What recipe did you use?
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Dinner tonight was whole wheat spinach bolani with a spoonful of their mint-garlic yogurt sauce plus a spoonful of Muhammara and a spoonful of baba ghanouj. It was good.

https://www.bolani.co/
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

InMyDreams wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:11 pm

Tony
So, was it Tony's Pizza?
Priceless and I get no royalties! 😂😆

Tony
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

InMyDreams wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:12 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:55 pm Last week, I made shrimp scampi served over rice.
So, was the Scampi good? What recipe did you use?
I used this recipe: Shrimp Scampi over Rice Recipe - Food.com

The garlic immediately turned brown when I put it in the pan. My results didn't look like the picture, as the shrimp was coated in brown garlic.

- The lemon, garlic, and butter didn't cover as much of the rice as I thought. I used 1 cup of rice (3 cups cooked = 4 servings).

- Whenever a recipe says to use lemon juice, I always use the juice from a fresh lemon.

As for the taste, I think the shrimp was overdone. Otherwise, it was OK.
OldOne

Post by OldOne »

Mac & cheese using Old Croc brand Australian cheddar
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

We got one of those kits for growing mushrooms indoors and the first flush of blue oysters were ready. We grilled filet steaks and served with a mixture of the oysters and regular button mushrooms sautéed in butter and white wine.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Yesterday's dinner was braised spareribs with red fermented bean curd with bean curd sticks, steamed rice, pan fried salmon, and stir fried cabbage.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Financologist wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:23 pm breaded/fried green tomatoes
OMG, fried green tomatoes are the best. My mother made the best FGT's when she was cooking. I need to figure out how she did it. I think the key was coarse ground corn meal :beer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

InMyDreams wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:11 pm
Tony
So, was it Tony's Pizza?
DiGiorno's is the best frozen.

Tonight's dessert was yellow marshmallow peeps...dipped in chocolate pudding.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Chicken with mashed potatoes and corn.

Tony
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Using things up:

Cured imported Italian salami (tasteless, awful, thank goodness it's gone now).
Roasted Brussells sprouts in olive oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper (excellent).
Chile Limon Corn Nuts (pretty good).

Got my meat, veg, and starch, but I guess I only cooked the veg.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Linguini with clams. I grill littleneck clams until just opened (7-10 minutes) in a sealed foil pouch/container with chopped scallions, parsley, garlic, butter, lemon juice and pepper. Put clams and broth over linguini that I first mix with a bit of olive oil, grated Parmesan and pepper. Serve with lemon slices.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 pm I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.
Cooked in a "Ninja Air Fryer", comes out fresh cooked like baked. Cooks fast.

This is Sea Bass. Drizzle of sesame oil, lemon, ground pepper, local "Hawaii Blend Sprinkles", and chives before cooking.
Olive oil and balsalmic vinegar from a local vendor before eating. (fine sliced green onion is great if available). Also, Chinese Parsley.
Looks shiny because it is drenched in the balsalmic vinegar which I'm addicted to.

Fresh poi would be nice. But, there is no fresh poi where I live now. (Auwe!)
j :D
This looks amazing. What other kind of fish do you eat, and do you generally cook all types of fish in the air fryer?
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Last night was chicken adobo and broccoli. (1 cup soy sauce, 1 1/2 cups white vinegar, 4 bay leaves, 1 tsp ground pepper, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tablespoon fish sauce, 3 minced garlic cloves, 6 chicken thighs with skin/bone. Combine all ingredients in large pot. Stab each thigh about six times with tines of fork to allow sauce to penetrate. Let sit for 15 minutes. Simmer on low temperature about an hour until chicken is tender. Recipe is from a Filipina grandmother I know.)

Tonight was sous vide Costco beef tenderloin steaks and baked butternut squash. (Season tenderloin steaks with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Seal each steak in separate food savor bag with olive oil and a sprig of rosemary from the garden. Cook using sous vide set at 133 degrees for three hours for medium rare. After steaks are cooked, sear either in hot cast iron with olive oil/butter or on the gas grill. Season with extra salt and pepper before serving. They will be the best steaks you've ever eaten.)