So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GG1273

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by GG1273 »

Have been finding the Wegman's stuff to be really good, cook and go - made in house there and just marinated chicken, pork loin and turkey
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

I have not cooked with it yet, but my kids bought me a Anova sous-vide cooking device. I will try this week to make an "egg bites" recipe that is supposedly a 5 star recipe. If anyone has any sous-vide recipies that they enjoy, I would appreciate the input.
Thanks
randybobandy

Post by randybobandy »

Skeeter1 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 am I have not cooked with it yet, but my kids bought me a Anova sous-vide cooking device. I will try this week to make an "egg bites" recipe that is supposedly a 5 star recipe. If anyone has any sous-vide recipies that they enjoy, I would appreciate the input.
Thanks
My parents bought me a different model for xmas and I used it for the first time last night. I kept it simple with a 1.5# pork tenderloin. Salt and pepper before I put it in the bag. Set the temp at 155 and had it in there for 3 hours. Seared it on all sides after I took it out. The tenderloin turned out amazing.
Grammar and spelling matter. | Quoting the OP isn't a necessity.
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

Thanks. I will try that!!
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

How apropos, I just made protein bars. The main reason is the ones available in the stores are expensive and have a lot of sugar. I make mine with nut butter, olive oil, vanilla, bananas, oats, dark chocolate chips, cinnamon, and coconut. I feel there a lot healthier and don’t feel guilty eating them.

https://www.wellplated.com/peanut-butter-protein-bars/
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

I made 6# of beef jerky yesterday. That included 4# in the oven and 2# on the Traeger. The texture of the oven jerky was more to my liking than the Traeger batch, but the smokiness of the Traeger batch was pretty amazing.

Next time I will use thin slabs rather than thin strips, as the strips wete hard to manage on the Traeger
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Curries and soups have been my thing - they naturally evolve into different things. I've learned that poaching fish fillets in a simmering soup is a great way to cook thawed frozen fish. Try this one: Sautee chili powder with minced ginger and garlic in a bit of coconut oil. Add chopped onions and a splash of water. Add a couple spoonfuls of tomato paste. After stirring for awhile, add 3 cups of broth. Add a can of rinsed chickpeas. Stir awhile. Then add a heaping spoonful of peanut butter. Stir all the melty goodness in. Bring to a simmer. Add spinach. Once the spinach wilts, add two fish fillets. Turn the fillets over after 5 minutes. Turn the heat off after another 5 minutes. Break the fish up. It's my favorite. You can also do this with half the broth and add coconut milk but skip the peanut butter, and use tomatoes and mushrooms instead for veg. You can do a lot of different things with the sautee base :)
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
aktx97

Post by aktx97 »

I made orecchiette pasta with broccoli rabe and Italian sausage. Very good!
Teague

Post by Teague »

Filling for enchiladas/tacos/burritos, recipe by Deborah Madison, The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. Chayote, white onion, corn, bell pepper, etc. No cumin or garlic in this, Mexican cuisine is much more than just Tex-Mex.
Semper Augustus
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

I made a recipe from Milk Street on PBS.
Roasted cauliflower with tahini and lemon. Very good!
superskyliner

Post by superskyliner »

3 Medium sized RIBEYES shaved for Philly Cheeseteaks
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

superskyliner wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:09 pm 3 Medium sized RIBEYES shaved for Philly Cheeseteaks
Makes this "philly boy" jealous. Yum :beer
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Same here, but as "Philly gal". Don't forget the onions. :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:59 am Same here, but as "Philly gal". Don't forget the onions. :beer
HaHa...Never!!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Classic Beef Meatloaf using 80/20 (beef / fat) ground beef.

I cooked it in the toaster oven with the convection bake setting.

There's nothing like a "classic" dish. :thumbsup
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RevFran

Post by RevFran »

Calli114 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 pm I made a recipe from Milk Street on PBS.
Everything from mill street is fabulous. This week I’m making a recipe of theirs that has become one of my standards. https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/t ... entil-soup
It’s really bland if you skip the fresh mint or lemon....but with, it is fabulous
houseofnine

Post by houseofnine »

Sancocho (Dominican version).
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Last night I made Lebanese Kibbeh with a yogurt-tahini dipping sauce. First time. It was somewhat labor intensive but very good.

I am trying new countries every few weeks this year....
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Just got a Vitamix blender over the holidays. Worked-up a great tomato soup recipe that starts with a 28 oz. can of whole, peeled San Marzano plum tomatoes. The soup is great and has now become our weekly Sunday lunch item.
KneeReplacementTutor

Post by KneeReplacementTutor »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:17 pm The texture of the oven jerky was more to my liking than the Traeger batch, but the smokiness of the Traeger batch was pretty amazing.
Have you tried dehydrating either in the oven or on a dehydrator after smoking? For me, doing so nets the "smokiness" of the smoker yet gives the better "texture" from the oven.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

RevFran wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:06 pm
Calli114 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 pm I made a recipe from Milk Street on PBS.
Everything from mill street is fabulous. This week I’m making a recipe of theirs that has become one of my standards. https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/t ... entil-soup
It’s really bland if you skip the fresh mint or lemon....but with, it is fabulous

Sounds good - I don’t have the Milk Street subscription but I’ve used the online copycat recipes.
I do have their cookbook somewhere which might have that dish in it.
csm

Post by csm »

There was an offer in my AmEx account for $50 off a $50+ purchase, up to three times, for HomeChef (meal prep delivery service) so I decided to give it a try. When I signed up, HomeChef also offered $90 off ($30 off each of the first two order, and $15 off each of the 3rd and 4th orders). So all in, I'm getting $240 worth of meal delivery for free.

We received the first order of 3 meals x 2 servings last week and I was pleasantly surprised by the freshness of the ingredients, the portion sizes, simplicity and flavor.

They offer several types of meals: traditional meal kits, 15-minute meal kits, oven-ready meal kits and fast & fresh. (The 'oven-ready' is a bit of a misnomer as there is still some prep and assembly.)

Our first week we had (1) pork tenderloin marsala with broccoli, (2) creamy truffle chicken skillet with mushrooms and green beans, and (3) mozzarella-ricotta stuffed meatballs with marinara and cavatappi. All tasted excellent and were simple to prepare. There were leftovers from the meatball and pasta dish for lunch the next day and very generous portions on all meals. It was enjoyable to have the fresh ingredients all measured out. Some meals are for the skillet and some for the oven.

We're enjoying it for now and I wouldn't mind continuing to use them after I've exhausted the offer. The only drawback will be staying on top of the deadlines for making selections, or for skipping the week. That has to be done by Friday noon for the following week and I can see where it could hinder some spontaneity in our schedule.
Last edited by csm on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

csm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:04 pm There was an offer in my AmEx account for $50 off a $50+ purchase, up to three times, for HomeChef (meal prep delivery service) so I decided to give it a try. When I signed up, HomeChef also offered $90 off ($30 off each of the first two order, and $15 off each of the 3rd and 4th orders). So all in, I'm getting $240 worth of meal delivery for free.
I have the same AMEX offer so your favorable post motivated me to sign up today to take advantage of the $90 HomeChef offer + AMEX offer. Nice deal for 1st three weeks.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.
Cooked in a "Ninja Air Fryer", comes out fresh cooked like baked. Cooks fast.

This is Sea Bass. Drizzle of sesame oil, lemon, ground pepper, local "Hawaii Blend Sprinkles", and chives before cooking.
Olive oil and balsalmic vinegar from a local vendor before eating. (fine sliced green onion is great if available). Also, Chinese Parsley.
Looks shiny because it is drenched in the balsalmic vinegar which I'm addicted to.

Fresh poi would be nice. But, there is no fresh poi where I live now. (Auwe!)
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Skeeter1 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:23 pm
So how about you, what have you been making?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjneaJ0hmgs

Spicy garlic fried chicken (Kkanpunggi: 깐풍기)

It's pretty amazing and easy to make. Double fry on the chicken is the key.
csm

Post by csm »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 pm I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.
That fish looks wonderful. The only fish I manage to cook well is salmon. I invariably overcook any other type of fish I attempt. I've had some excellent cod fillets lately from my Butcher Box delivery, but I'll check them one moment and they still appear raw, but a few minutes later I've overdone them and they are dry.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

csm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:10 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:49 pm I eat fish and a salad nearly every day for early dinner.
That fish looks wonderful. The only fish I manage to cook well is salmon. I invariably overcook any other type of fish I attempt. I've had some excellent cod fillets lately from my Butcher Box delivery, but I'll check them one moment and they still appear raw, but a few minutes later I've overdone them and they are dry.
The Air Fryer is a secret weapon for fish. 😺
Frozen fish thawed cooks like fresh fish.
We buy wild caught frozen fish. Halibut, mahi-mahi, salmon, from frys or Walmart. sea bass at Costco,
Texture depends on the cut. “Fishiness “ from the type of fish and brand quality.
Cod is tough, Ahi is rubbery depending on cut. Tilapia is a no go. Trout is iffy by brand. Generic salmon fillets wild caught Walmart brand is nasty and smells strong.

j🌺
csm

Post by csm »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:52 pm
The Air Fryer is a secret weapon for fish. 😺
Frozen fish thawed cooks like fresh fish.
We buy wild caught frozen fish. Halibut, mahi-mahi, salmon, from frys or Walmart. sea bass at Costco,
Texture depends on the cut. “Fishiness “ from the type of fish and brand quality.
Cod is tough, Ahi is rubbery depending on cut. Tilapia is a no go. Trout is iffy by brand. Generic salmon fillets wild caught Walmart brand is nasty and smells strong.

j🌺
I prefer Atlantic salmon from Norway, despite being farm-raised, to wild-caught Alaskan salmon. Whole Foods sells frozen Atlantic salmon in portion sizes that is usually either Norwegian or Icelandic farmed, which is good. My Costco used to also sell frozen Atlantic salmon sourced in Norway, but the last couple of times I've tried to buy there, it was farmed in Chile which I won't buy. WalMart is a huge buyer of salmon farm-raised in Chile - there is an interesting story about it in the book The WalMart Effect, explaining how WalMart basically created the farm-raised salmon industry in Chile.

I like mahi-mahi and halibut, but never cook it myself. No, never tilapia - that stuff is nasty.

I am tempted by the idea of an air fryer, but even the compact ones seem to have a bigger footprint than I want to spare in my limited-space kitchen. I made an exception for the Vitamix, but am not ready to do so for an air fryer yet. :happy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Grilled Mahimahi fish

Air fryer 6 minutes.
Cooked in olive oil lightly in bottom of pan.

final basted
Lemon oil
Toasted Sesame oil

Green onions (put on after cooking)
Chives (they get toasted and turn dark)
sea salt, ground back pepper
Balsalmic Vinegar
Hawaiian secret sprinkles.

Mahimahi can get tough if even slightly overcooked, and cooks very fast, so cooking time is critical.

"onolicious"
j :D

(cell phone flash wiped out the back of the plate so image is not quite right)

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Refried beans - in a slow cooker pot without the refry part.
Using an online recipe.
Substituted red pepper flakes for the jalapeno.
First try - easy - came out good!.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:12 pm Hawaiian secret sprinkles.

Seeing the "alaea red clay" ingredient in the Hawaiian spice blend sent me on a brief, but interesting, search engine journey about Hawaiian alaea salt. I didn't learn about this when visiting Kauai, even though salt ponds are traditionally located there. The following educational article is a good start for anyone who wants to learn more about the traditional methods: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/sealearning/gr ... ys-knowing

That article also states that the commercial Hawaiian sea salt is not prepared in the traditional fashion, as it says the salt ponds in Kauai are not approved as food-grade and can only be gifted, not commercially sold. I found an article from a Hawaiian grocer that says the above company instead gets their salt from commercial salt farms in Molokai that use a variety of technology to purify the sea water and produce food-grade salt. That salt is then combined with purified alaea clay.

I also came across this little interesting piece of regulatory headaches, where the FDA is threatening to list alaea clay (and charcoal for black Hawaiian salt) as adulterants: https://www.gourmetnews.com/fda-threate ... -business/. That appears to be an ongoing headache, as I found a Hawaii state bill to support the appropriate research studies to satisfy the FDA's concerns, but it never made it out of committee since it was poorly timed in March 2020.

Interesting the things that one can find out from a simple pondering of "red clay in salt? I wonder why". I also wish I'd known about this feature of Hanapepe when I was on Kauai, although I wasn't there at the right time of year and I don't know how receptive the families are to tourists. But this sort of thing is right up my alley of interest, far more than going on a helicopter or boat ride.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Taiwanese Meefun tonight was delicious.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/102 ... -iOS-share
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Nothing.

(stares sadly at grill covered in 10" of snow)
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

2tall4economy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:17 pm Nothing.

You're breaking my heart. Oven? Range? Toaster Oven? Bunsen burner? Bonfire and spit?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Beensabu wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:33 pm

You're breaking my heart. Oven? Range? Toaster Oven? Bunsen burner? Bonfire and spit?
In my house, I'm restricted to outdoor cooking only. Wife handles all the indoor cooking (rather well I might add).

I add value through grilling.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

2tall4economy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:34 pm
Beensabu wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:33 pm

In my house, I'm restricted to outdoor cooking only. Wife handles all the indoor cooking (rather well I might add).

I add value through grilling.
Lucky! I hope you do the dishes in thanks for deliciousness.
beyou

Post by beyou »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:38 pm
csm wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:04 pm There was an offer in my AmEx account for $50 off a $50+ purchase, up to three times, for HomeChef (meal prep delivery service) so I decided to give it a try. When I signed up, HomeChef also offered $90 off ($30 off each of the first two order, and $15 off each of the 3rd and 4th orders). So all in, I'm getting $240 worth of meal delivery for free.
I have the same AMEX offer so your favorable post motivated me to sign up today to take advantage of the $90 HomeChef offer + AMEX offer. Nice deal for 1st three weeks.
Hello Fresh had a similar offer on Amex.
Excellent meal prep kits, have liked every meal.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

"Wild caught thick" cod in the toaster oven. It was a bit pricey compared to the other fish, but I wanted to give it a try.

I used this recipe: Baked Cod Recipe

- I didn't have any red pepper flakes or capers, so I left them out.

- I mixed the paprika in the small bowl with the other ingredients. When lemon juice is called out, I always use a freshly squeezed lemon.

This was baked in my toaster oven using the convection bake setting; 425 deg F for 15 minutes.

I only had 20 oz of fish (calls for 24 oz), but used the same amount of sauce. It fit in my toaster oven pan, which I lined with aluminum foil.

There was plenty of sauce in the bottom of the pan to serve over the top of the fish.

Update: Correct fish weight
csm

Post by csm »

Funny, I also made cod tonight, following this similar recipe:
https://juliasalbum.com/baked-cod-and-a ... e-in-foil/

I also had some fresh spinach that needed to be used, so I started with a layer of spinach on the foil before adding the asparagus. I used my instant digital read thermometer to take it out of the oven when it reached 140 F to ensure I didn't overcook it.

It turned out well and was a good mix of several of my favorite ingredients (asparagus, capers, lemon, garlic). Simple to prepare and quick clean-up as well.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:38 pm
Did you have any issue receiving the Home Chef get $50 off $50+ AMEX Offer credit? I did. I placed my 1st order for $65.75 (food $57.76 and shipping $7.99). Online invoice shows $65.75. Vendor sent the one shipment but arbitrarily split the invoice into 2 charges of $15.84 and $49.91 so the AMEX credit was not triggered. AMEX is checking into whether vendor is gaming the offer (my words, not theirs) by splitting charges arbitrarily. AMEX said they will manually issue the credit. I have skipped future deliveries until I see how this plays out. Aside from the billing issue, the food quality was very good.
csm

Post by csm »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:46 am
Did you have any issue receiving the Home Chef get $50 off $50+ AMEX Offer credit? I did. I placed my 1st order for $65.75 (food $57.76 and shipping $7.99). Online invoice shows $65.75. Vendor sent the one shipment but arbitrarily split the invoice into 2 charges of $15.84 and $49.91 so the AMEX credit was not triggered. AMEX is checking into whether vendor is gaming the offer (my words, not theirs) by splitting charges arbitrarily. AMEX said they will manually issue the credit. I have skipped future deliveries until I see how this plays out. Aside from the billing issue, the food quality was very good.
I haven't so far. My first charge was ca. $66 and went through as a single charge, for which I received the $50 AmEx credit with no issue. Then I bought a $50 HC gift card, and that AmEx credit also went through without issue. My third order for $58 has hit AmEx as a single charge and I still await the $50 credit.

We've enjoyed most of the meals. So far only one has been disappointing.
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

Skeeter1 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:23 pm So how about you, what have you been making?
Let's share ideas and have fun lifting each others spirit while boosting our immune system with nutritious yum.
We are so fortunate to have an authentic fresh fish retailer nearby (Joe Patti in Pensacola, FL). My wife and I buy about $300 worth of seafood every month. Never disappointed. Lately, the recipe below has worked with monkfish, redfish, triggerfish, and grouper. Easy and delicious.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-se ... tter-sauce
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:36 am
Skeeter1 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:23 pm So how about you, what have you been making?
Let's share ideas and have fun lifting each others spirit while boosting our immune system with nutritious yum.
We are so fortunate to have an authentic fresh fish retailer nearby (Joe Patti in Pensacola, FL). My wife and I buy about $300 worth of seafood every month. Never disappointed. Lately, the recipe below has worked with monkfish, redfish, triggerfish, and grouper. Easy and delicious.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-se ... tter-sauce
Lucky you, fresh seafood every month. I also live in Florida so fresh seafood is a staple. I love grouper and will try your recipe that you posted. Thanks.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

About 10 minutes away from dinner tonight....carnitas slow cooked on stove top all afternoon. I just cut up corn tortillas (El Milagro) and fried in oil for chips. We will either construct nacho mountain or eat with flour tortillas.

I also made Sausage, Potato, Pepper, and Onion for a future meal.

Tomorrow will make Zuppo Tuscana for the soup of the week.

Carryout tomorrow for Valentine Day dinner.

Ed
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Earlier this week, at DW's suggestion, I googled for a recipe and tried my hand at chicken piccata. I must have done it right, she raved about it and ate it up. To my taste, it was just a bit too tart.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Three giant bone-in New York steaks on the grill. They lose something if you freeze them, so I cook a few at once. They were cheap and I had to buy three (4 lbs total). I bought the ones that had the best marbling.

I ate one for lunch, and will reheat the others in a frying pan (which works amazingly well, though you lose the pink color). Or I might cut one up for stir fry.

Gotta stay balanced - a vegetarian salad for dinner!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Chicken crock pot from what I had on-hand -

boneless / skinless thighs, rice, black beans, can of Italian peeled tomatoes, jar of pineapple salsa, cumin, sliced onion, extra water for the rice.

I mostly followed a recipe, but I substituted with what I had on-hand.

The recipe said to serve it over rice, but I put the rice in the crock from the start. It saved me the effort of cooking the rice separately.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:12 pm Chicken crock pot from what I had on-hand -

boneless / skinless thighs, rice, black beans, can of Italian peeled tomatoes, jar of pineapple salsa, cumin, sliced onion, extra water for the rice.

I mostly followed a recipe, but I substituted with what I had on-hand.

The recipe said to serve it over rice, but I put the rice in the crock from the start. It saved me the effort of cooking the rice separately.
I did that last week: boneless skinless chicken thighs in the crock pot with onions, garlic, and a can of crushed tomatoes. I served it over a short pasta.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

MP173 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 pm Tomorrow will make Zuppo Tuscana for the soup of the week.
That sounds tasty, do you have a recipe?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:08 pm Earlier this week, at DW's suggestion, I googled for a recipe and tried my hand at chicken piccata. I must have done it right, she raved about it and ate it up. To my taste, it was just a bit too tart.
I've found that I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my cooking. Perhaps it's too much of a focus on continually improving the recipe until it reaches an optimal point.