So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mudpuppy

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by Mudpuppy »

I received a package of fresh chicken from this weekend's grocery order, so I'm making chicken cacciatore again. I really should have planted a large tomato variety this spring, instead of cherry tomatoes, given how frequently I like to make this dish.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I am so very bored with cooking at home.

I have some Trader Joe's frozen meals in the freezer, and I have some Costco Organic Tasty Bite Madras Lentils that I eat with rice. Trying to go more plant-based, but the frozen TJoe's meals have cheese in them.

I had sauteed up a giant bag of Costco onions and frozen them all in serving-sized ziplocks. I used up the last one last night. I ordered some freeze-dried onions from Amazon last night just to have on hand.

I think I'll have some homemade butternut squash soup from my freezer tonight. It's a really good recipe with coconut milk, an apple, and my new secret ingredient... some green TJoe's salsa. It balances the coconut milk and the apple perfectly, with a little kick.

Best to all of you! Stay safe!
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I think if you are getting bored it's probably time to challenge yourself to do something or try something you have not done or eaten before. It's easy to get on a "food treadmill" of trying to use everything optimally and perhaps not seeing other possibilities. Try a "pantry challenge" and combine a few things in ways that are new.

Depending on your risk tolerance, it's also worth going for takeout, fast food drive-through, or delivery. The food industry was already one of the cleanest ones out there - they lose customers if they get sick or dead. They are certainly not perfect though. I've done the drive-thru only twice in the past two months, where it would have been 1-2 times a week before.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned eventually breaking into the freeze-dried earthquake rations. I finally did that last week, for a breakfast. The rations are Mountain House, a well-respected brand known for being tastier than others, with a 30-year shelf life. Well, it is for sure some tasty glop that will keep you alive. I'm glad I know that now, so I can keep more canned food for emergencies instead. There's quite a difference, to me. It wasn't abhorrent but I'd prefer a can of chili, even for breakfast. I now have a story to tell as well. Only 59 packages to go! :shock:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tooluser wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pmIn one of my earlier posts I mentioned eventually breaking into the freeze-dried earthquake rations. I finally did that last week, for a breakfast. The rations are Mountain House, a well-respected brand known for being tastier than others, with a 30-year shelf life. Well, it is for sure some tasty glop that will keep you alive. I'm glad I know that now, so I can keep more canned food for emergencies instead. There's quite a difference, to me. It wasn't abhorrent but I'd prefer a can of chili, even for breakfast. I now have a story to tell as well. Only 59 packages to go! :shock:
Two of my adventure buddies always bring Mountain House when we go on our trips. I finally saw how much the cost a few weeks ago at WalMart; at $10 a pop, that is some expensive freeze-dried glop.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

stoptothink wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:36 pm
tooluser wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pmIn one of my earlier posts I mentioned eventually breaking into the freeze-dried earthquake rations. I finally did that last week, for a breakfast. The rations are Mountain House, a well-respected brand known for being tastier than others, with a 30-year shelf life. Well, it is for sure some tasty glop that will keep you alive. I'm glad I know that now, so I can keep more canned food for emergencies instead. There's quite a difference, to me. It wasn't abhorrent but I'd prefer a can of chili, even for breakfast. I now have a story to tell as well. Only 59 packages to go! :shock:
Two of my adventure buddies always bring Mountain House when we go on our trips. I finally saw how much the cost a few weeks ago at WalMart; at $10 a pop, that is some expensive freeze-dried glop.
They were much cheaper at Costco, at least when I bought them. Closer to $3 a bag, which is nominally 2 servings, 1 large serving for me, or not quite enough for a young hiker expending much energy. Dehydrated/Rehydrated food to me has a certain taste to it, and an aftertaste, that suggest something chemical was done to it. Maybe it leeches in from the bag, maybe it's just my palate. Not too happy with it, but I will experiment further.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

tooluser wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 pm I think if you are getting bored it's probably time to challenge yourself to do something or try something you have not done or eaten before. It's easy to get on a "food treadmill" of trying to use everything optimally and perhaps not seeing other possibilities. Try a "pantry challenge" and combine a few things in ways that are new.

Depending on your risk tolerance, it's also worth going for takeout, fast food drive-through, or delivery. The food industry was already one of the cleanest ones out there - they lose customers if they get sick or dead. They are certainly not perfect though. I've done the drive-thru only twice in the past two months, where it would have been 1-2 times a week before.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned eventually breaking into the freeze-dried earthquake rations. I finally did that last week, for a breakfast. The rations are Mountain House, a well-respected brand known for being tastier than others, with a 30-year shelf life. Well, it is for sure some tasty glop that will keep you alive. I'm glad I know that now, so I can keep more canned food for emergencies instead. There's quite a difference, to me. It wasn't abhorrent but I'd prefer a can of chili, even for breakfast. I now have a story to tell as well. Only 59 packages to go! :shock:
I haven't done takeout or drive through for more than two months now! And, before COVID, I mostly did dinners out with friends (I'm single and that was a big part of my social life) or did takeout on the way home from work. I have to go out for a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and I think I'm going to stop by my favorite pizza joint on the way home and get myself a pizza!
Chip

Post by Chip »

tooluser wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 pm Maybe it leeches in from the bag, maybe it's just my palate. Not too happy with it, but I will experiment further.
Leeches in the bag would definitely make it taste nasty. I would recommend buying the one without the leeches next time. :P
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Actually, I am really enjoying this time at home and will be dropping several things once things return to normal.

In the past two months, I have cooked 2-3 meals a day everyday. My total food cost has dropped by half and I have lost about 10#. I have gotten rid of most of the older pantry items and learned how to cut some primal cuts of pork into the retail cuts.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Chip wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:48 am
tooluser wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 pm Maybe it leeches in from the bag, maybe it's just my palate. Not too happy with it, but I will experiment further.
Leeches in the bag would definitely make it taste nasty. I would recommend buying the one without the leeches next time. :P
Well, on some level it did kind of suck. :arrow: Tonight: breakfast for dinner!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Baked eggplant parmesan. From: Baked Eggplant Parmesan

I used homemade tomato sauce that was in my freezer. Apparently, commercial sauce has quite a bit less water than homemade sauce. I ended up with a thick eggplant soup. I scooped the eggplant out of the dish with a slotted spoon. :)

The sauce at the bottom of the dish, along with sauce I didn't use, was put into a container and refrozen for a later time.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

sauteed escarole and beet greens

rice with pigeon peas

Eastern European sausage

Chia Fresca
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

Scones. This recipe is easy and turns out great. My favorite is cheese scones.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/scones-recipe/
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Zoodled zucchini with Aldi's brand of Tomato Basil sauce and meat sauce. Low sugar, and our dogs love it.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Lasagna featuring sauteed greens (chard, kale, spinach), whole-milk mozzarella, whole milk cottage cheese (better than the domestic ricottas I think), pecorino romano, homemade tomato sauce.
Semper Augustus
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

I made fresh beef and three cheese ravioli from scratch today. Along with it a delicious pumpkin cheesecake I am now regretting. The pie is huge and I forgot that I am trying to tone my muscles. No one else in our house likes cheesecake so it’s all on me. It’s too good to throw away. I guess I will sacrifice until it’s all gone.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I don't know about others, but I'm having to play a Tetris game with my freezer contents every time I have more leftovers than intended. I have not yet succumbed to the temptation to get a second chest freezer. Today, I am making something where I know it will be eaten between tonight's dinner and tomorrow's dinner, so the leftovers only have to be stored in the fridge.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:00 pm I'm having to play a Tetris game with my freezer contents...
I've never heard it described that way, but it fits perfectly (or not, pun intended). :D
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Tuna casserole.

Due to forgetting to add a few things to my grocery list, I ended up with:

12 oz box of mafalda pasta (instead of egg noodles)
8 oz shredded whole-milk mozarella (instead of cheddar)
1 Cup plain bread crumbs (instead of potato chips)
chopped onion
frozen peas
2 - 10.5 oz cans of cream of mushroom soup

It's really hard to mess up a tuna casserole. The mozarella gave it a different flavor. When I make this again, I'll use cheddar.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Chicken crock pot. I had a recipe, but decided to wing it and use what was in my pantry.

- Chicken legs and thighs
- Rice (uncooked)
- Chicken broth
- Garlic, fresh pressed
- Can of chick peas
- Can of diced tomatoes
- celery, carrots
- green onions
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Chicken piccata (Giada's recipe), Italian pasta from Costco (for the kids), steamed spinach
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Filet Mignon, boiled potatoes, vegatables.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Fresh halibut via sous vide at 125°, then topped with Costco pesto and toasted bread crumbs, then broiled briefly to brown the crumbs.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I tried making butter chicken for the first time the other night. The heat level was correct, but it was rather bland. I think the red pepper powder I used had more heat than flavor. I'll need to look for a different variety for next time. I also had only powdered ginger on hand instead of fresh, and that likely made a difference. It's all lessons to file away for the next batch.
kacang

Post by kacang »

Our family likes Japanese food, so I'm learning to cook them. This website is a godsend https://www.justonecookbook.com/ Tried her chawanmushi & ramen egg recipes, worked beautifully.
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

Stir fried beef with snow peas in oyster sauce

raw beet and lettuce salad with ginger dressing

discovered I have about 10 cans of sardines in the back of the pantry. I really wish I could think of ways to use sardines other than on a platter with crackers.

Anyone? sardines?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ That's my lunch - sardines and cheese on a platter with crackers.

A quick google search shows this interesting possibility: Spinach, Sardine and Rice Gratin - I'll put this on my "might make later" list.

====================
Not really "cooking", but I found a jar of sunflower butter buried in the back of my pantry.

Instead of chips or pretzels while watching Netflix, I spread the sunflower butter on celery sticks. It's not the best tasting snack ever, but if you like eating sunflower seeds, this is a nice change of pace.

Peanut butter on celery sticks will also work.
MythicalSeth

Post by MythicalSeth »

Making chicken curry tonight. Mainly because it’s easy and almost always have the ingredients on hand. -SR
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

TresBelle65 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 pm Stir fried beef with snow peas in oyster sauce

raw beet and lettuce salad with ginger dressing

discovered I have about 10 cans of sardines in the back of the pantry. I really wish I could think of ways to use sardines other than on a platter with crackers.

Anyone? sardines?
Pasta con le Sarde (pasta with sardines) is good and easy if you like sardines.
Chef John does a slightly fancy version here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3M3BxbsTU
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

A few months ago, I froze two 1/2 gallon containers of milk due to concerns about a shortage from COVID-19. My concerns went unfounded, so it was time to use the milk.

After thawing the milk, I put the milk in a blender - freezing separates the fat. The consistency is more like water with bits of milk in it. Blending got most of that back.

What to do with the extra milk?

With summer approaching on Saturday, a milkshake sounds about right. I don't keep ice cream at home. Google to the rescue: "milkshake without ice cream". You basically blend:

- milk
- ice cubes
- sugar

Not bad, but it falls short of what I expect from a milkshake.

I then tripped on another google search "mason jar ice cream". No blender, no ice cream maker needed. I had a spare mason jar and decided to try it.

Here's the basic idea: Make Ice Cream in a Mason Jar - The New York Times <--- suggested project if you have kids

The cost of the heavy cream is more per serving than commercial ice cream. However, there's nothing like the taste of fresh ingredients and I made it myself.

I'll continue experimenting. A homemade milkshake will be next.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^
LadyGeek:

Not a milkshake, but I recently bought a small blender to make smoothies after wanting one for a long time.

I've been experimenting with basic ingredients like yogurt and fresh fruit so far. I need to get some protein powder and see what else I can add in for variety.

I love milkshakes with real ice cream but am trying hard to keep ice cream out of the house right now LOL.

I also love root beer floats but haven't had one in ages.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

TresBelle65 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 pm discovered I have about 10 cans of sardines in the back of the pantry. I really wish I could think of ways to use sardines other than on a platter with crackers.

Anyone? sardines?
Eat them French style. Sardines over toasted peasant bread garnished with EVOO, a little lemon juice, and fresh parsley.
In the summer, Ill keep the bread as a side and eat them with ripe beefstake tomatoes and the same garnish.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:10 pm I tried making butter chicken for the first time the other night. The heat level was correct, but it was rather bland. I think the red pepper powder I used had more heat than flavor. I'll need to look for a different variety for next time. I also had only powdered ginger on hand instead of fresh, and that likely made a difference. It's all lessons to file away for the next batch.
Well, the grocery store accidentally grabbed two 4-lb packages of chicken instead of two 2-lb packages of chicken for today's curbside order, so I have plenty of chicken with which to dial in the flavor and heat on this recipe. I also got fresh ginger paste and some ancho chile powder. I know ancho is not quite the right flavor profile for Indian cuisine, but that was the only identifiable red pepper powder they had beyond cayenne and paprika (which I already have in my spice cabinet).
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

This thread makes me hungry! :D
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

TresBelle65 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 pm discovered I have about 10 cans of sardines in the back of the pantry. I really wish I could think of ways to use sardines other than on a platter with crackers.

Anyone? sardines?
In the past week I have found that smoked fish, onions, and capers on a bagel; is different from smoked fish, onions, celery, and capers mixed with mayonnaise, on a bagel. Sometimes the slightest difference in ingredients or presentation makes a noticeable difference.

Sardines in place of anchovies for pasta puttanesca. In place of tuna salad. On a grilled cheese sandwich, making it a sardine melt. (Scott Conant has left the topic.)
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 pm Not bad, but it falls short of what I expect from a milkshake.
Unexpected ingredient:
Look up milkshake recipes that include PAM or cooking spray. It has lecithin, which acts as an emulsifier and will help make the milkshake stay together.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Since my initial foray into dehydrated food, I have had another breakfast Mountain House. The first one was "Biscuits and Gravy", which I do not recommend.

The second was "Breakfast Skillet", which was pretty good. Not as good as a fresh sausage, eggs, and potatoes scramble, but serviceable. It had texture and flavor and no bad aftertaste. If you had a little salsa for it you would likely be happy.

Things are looking up.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Yesterday: grilled scallops (cajun seasoning, pepper, salt, lemon, olive oil) and grilled fresh grouper with sliced tomato and butter lettuce

Today: baked chicken wings (kosher salt, pepper, olive oil... bake at 350 for 40 minutes...broil until golden brown) with green beans (Costco) sauteed in cast iron pan with kosher salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic powder until slightly charred
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

pomomojo wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:12 pm

Anyone? sardines?
Eat them French style. Sardines over toasted peasant bread garnished with EVOO, a little lemon juice, and fresh parsley.
In the summer, Ill keep the bread as a side and eat them with ripe beefstake tomatoes and the same garnish.
Gonna try this tomorrow, except will be sardines + fig infused balsamic dressing + EVOO
Moneta

Post by Moneta »

I've done a ton of cooking during quarantine, even more than usual, and cooking is my main hobby.

Up this weekend: Sourdough discard maple walnut bread, roast duck with plum sauce, steamed Chinese buns, cinnamon horchata ice cream, poppyseed financiers with spiced stewed apricots.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:27 pm Chicken crock pot. I had a recipe, but decided to wing it and use what was in my pantry.

- Chicken legs and thighs
- Rice (uncooked)
- Chicken broth
- Garlic, fresh pressed
- Can of chick peas
- Can of diced tomatoes
- celery, carrots
- green onions
Thanks that sounds good and is one I will try ! I have been making bread. Thanks also to you Lady Geek for pointing me toward the thread where they discussed making your own starter - which I finally had success doing after 3 attempts that failed. I have been making crock pot banana cake,
lots of different salads and fritattas and today watermelon rind pickles!

pickled watermelon rind :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFuidKmTfvA

oh and this- came out great!
jamacian pineapple ginger drink

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2p-CoSlFDw
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ You're welcome. You're also giving me some ideas...

A lesson learned from my chicken crock pot that I forgot to post - Uncooked rice will turn the crock into a big clump of mush.

All I had to do was stir the pot (pun intended) and the chicken came off the bone. Continuing to stir blended the chicken until everything was combined into a uniform texture soft meal. I spooned out my dinner for a week. :)

==================
Pork ribs with a side of couscous, salad, bread (homemade), mason jar ice cream.

Keeping this simple, I marinated the ribs in a Memphis style commercial barbecue sauce for a few hours. Cooked in the toaster oven at 375 deg F, convection roast for 1 hour.

The cooking time could probably have been shorter, as the internal temperature when done was over 190 deg F. (Minimum meat "done" temperature is 165 deg F.)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:23 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:10 pm I tried making butter chicken for the first time the other night. The heat level was correct, but it was rather bland. I think the red pepper powder I used had more heat than flavor. I'll need to look for a different variety for next time. I also had only powdered ginger on hand instead of fresh, and that likely made a difference. It's all lessons to file away for the next batch.
Well, the grocery store accidentally grabbed two 4-lb packages of chicken instead of two 2-lb packages of chicken for today's curbside order, so I have plenty of chicken with which to dial in the flavor and heat on this recipe. I also got fresh ginger paste and some ancho chile powder. I know ancho is not quite the right flavor profile for Indian cuisine, but that was the only identifiable red pepper powder they had beyond cayenne and paprika (which I already have in my spice cabinet).
Attempt number 2 at butter chicken had better flavor, although it was still a little bland. It also did not have enough heat. I think I'll add a little more cayenne next time, and I might try smoked paprika instead of regular paprika.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Regarding milkshakes without ice cream (milk + ice cubes):
tooluser wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 pm Not bad, but it falls short of what I expect from a milkshake.
Unexpected ingredient:
Look up milkshake recipes that include PAM or cooking spray. It has lecithin, which acts as an emulsifier and will help make the milkshake stay together.
I found a recipe that used corn oil. I added 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil instead. The milk did seem a bit smoother, but it separated from the ice more. It was more of a milk slushy.

My google searching found an interesting suggestion that's intended for mixing milk and ice cubes: orange julius
fujiters

Post by fujiters »

knightrider wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:51 pm Any tips for vegan pizza? Instead of cheese what can I put? I am not that interested in these processed nut based cheese alternatives. Looking for simpler things like avocado, pesto etc...
I like marinated artichoke, olives, capers, and tomatoes without cheese.

Sometimes I also use caramelised onion (seasoned with thyme) in place of regular tomato sauce, which makes it more filling (because of the added fat) and gives it more flavor.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

DeskJumper wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:38 am One of my favorites: Hamburgers cooked with onions and mushrooms and then simmered in onion gravy with a splash of soy sauce. Mashed potatoes and a steamed veg on the side.
I love onions and mushrooms with hamburgers. I also love yellow onions diced and mixed into hamburger patties.... Adds a lot of flavor. Also use a bit of Montreal Steak seasoning - not a lot but a bit to give some zip.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

tooluser wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 pm
Unexpected ingredient:
Interesting tidbit!
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

When I was traveling in Europe on business, I went to a manufacturing site. At the site in the morning, they asked me what I wanted for lunch and gave me a long list of items. I picked one item and was pleasantly surprised at lunch when they served it to me hot. When I asked how it was prepared, they indicated the items are frozen, delivered the same day, and then heated in a steam oven on site. Ever since, I have done this at home. For example, I make a large batch of spaghetti and then freeze individual portions. Then for lunch or dinner, I defrost the serving and then eat it. This also saved me about half of my monthly restaurant budget. It’s so nice to be either at work or at home and have a home cooked meal where I know there’s no additional salt, sugar and or extra oil added.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Sorry to revive a slightly aging thread, but I tried a different approach for the butter chicken tonight and actually got pretty good results, so I had to share. My different approach was to stop trying to find specific spices (particularly fenugreek and kashmiri chili) in a pandemic and just go with a mix of McCormick spice mixes which were readily available at the local grocery store: garam masala, hot Madras curry, and hot Hungarian paprika. Authentic? Not really. Tasty? Yes, the flavor profile was good. Hot enough? Not quite, but there was a mild heat. Adding more heat is easily addressed on the next batch by adding a little more curry or a smidgen of cayenne pepper.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I did this last night. I did 17 minutes in the pressure cooker and then grilled the octopus. Lemon vinaigrette. It was good, but I'd do 2-3 more minutes in the pressure cooker next time to make it a little more tender.

Image Image