So what are you cooking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Skeeter1

So what are you cooking

Post by Skeeter1 »

Now that we are staying home and looking for ways to fill the hours DW and I have been cooking more. Sometimes we take turns making fun , practical items for each other and sometimes , like today, we combined efforts and made a delicious and healthy chili. Of course, I had to cut the onions! The result, a lot of yummy chili for the next few days.
So how about you, what have you been making?
Let's share ideas and have fun lifting each others spirit while boosting our immune system with nutritious yum.
OK, decadent sweets and desserts are allowed. :D
bampf

Re: So what are you cooking

Post by bampf »

I made Julia Child's beef bourguignon. Deconstructed stuffed peppers. Cauliflower cheese dip. And so forth. I was just commenting to my wife that we haven't eaten out in at least two weeks. Very odd for us.
Nescio
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We rarely eat out so no big changes. Less red meat. We didn't eat much to begin with but there seems to have been a run on red meat at our Amish market.

Still plenty of fish available. Crab season doesn't open until May (edit: just checked, April, but the first couple of weeks are usually slow) I think so we have to wait for that.

Lentils are a staple - probably at least twice a week.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
shell921

Post by shell921 »

I'm a vegan so doing my usual - lot of lentil dishes and also rice and bean dishes, soups, curries,
potatoes, veggie chili....salads, fresh fruits.......oatmeal!
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Pressure cooker pork shoulder. Rub the meat with honey, garlic, calabrian peppers, paprika and red pepper flakes. Put in a pressure cooker with a cup of broth plus a generous amount of chopped onions and sliced oranges. Cook under pressure for however long is necessary. Once done, shred with forks. Pan-fry until crispy before serving.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:46 pm Pressure cooker pork shoulder. Rub the meat with honey, garlic, calabrian peppers, paprika and red pepper flakes. Put in a pressure cooker with a cup of broth plus a generous amount of chopped onions and sliced oranges. Cook under pressure for however long is necessary. Once done, shred with forks. Pan-fry until crispy before serving.
I just made a very similar stovetop version. Large chunks of pork shoulder, onion, orange, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and a dollop of sweetened condensed milk. Simmer in water for about 90 minutes in a Dutch oven till water cooks off, remove bay leaf, and put into a screaming hot oven to fry in the remaining fat. Turns out amazing every time.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

veggie thai red curry.

kimchi pancake (maangchi's recipe). delicious and super easy.

Roast chicken

Pork chili verde in an instant pot.
Wiki
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Last night was chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and cranberry cheese with asparagus and baked potato - all cooked on the Weber charcoal grill.

Today I made lentil/ham soup with onions, celery, carrots, etc.

Tonight is homemade pizza.

Pretty typical for us, but we have eliminated eating out (usually 2x week).

Ed
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We've got 25lbs. of steel cut oats, maracoba beans, quinoa, about 50lbs. of chicken breasts, and maybe 50lbs. of frozen and canned veggies; good thing my family is used to routine when it comes to eating.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We are in day 6 of isolation - staying home except for early and late walks around our neighborhood for exercise. We were already stocked up on staples and food - mostly because we love to cook and always have borderline too much food in the house.

Baked a banana cranberry walnut bread today to use the last of the overripe bananas. Tasty desert for the next 3-4 nights :happy

This week we've made several dinners - chili, red beans and rice, roasted root vegetables, Spaghetti. We usually try to do an animal protein based dinner one day followed by a veg dinner the next. Each meal usually has leftovers for lunch for two on a later day.
windaar

Post by windaar »

Tonight: ham steaks, baked potato, green beans, wine. The basics!
Nobody knows nothing.
jdb

Post by jdb »

My wife wanted to cook a turkey, went to grocery store, all sold out except a huge 25 pound fresh turkey. It did fit inside our oven once shelves removed. And guess what, it is delicious. Thanksgiving in March. But will be having turkey sandwiches and turkey salad etc for many days. Good luck and stay well.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

I grabbed one of the last packages of chicken drumsticks at the grocery store this morning (I prefer thighs but they were sold out) and am going to make chicken curry tomorrow (plenty of Japanese curry bricks in the pantry). No-knead cheese bread is also in the plans, maybe for next weekend (requires an overnight rise).
teacher

Post by teacher »

I made Cornish Pasties yesterday afternoon. Old family recipe. They are a tasty treat for my English DH. He is making barbecued hamburgers today. Odd how he cooked American food, and I cooked an English dish this week.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

I haven’t cooked this much in years! DH considers dining out his entertainment, so we usually go out to dinner 3 or 4 nights/week. Currently on lockdown in California in our snowbird home. I’ve made ham and scalloped potatoes; ham and bean soup with cornbread; roasted chicken with all the appropriate sides including (canned) cranberry sauce; homemade chicken pot pie; home made chicken noodle soup; ravioli with meatballs in marinara sauce; grilled tenderloin; hamburgers; grilled pacific cod tacos. And on it goes.

When I tell DH what we’re having for dinner, and he asks “what are my other choices”, I answer him “ whatever you’d like to cook”. End of discussion :P
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I've been making some Southern comfort foods for my elderly relative who lives with me, even though it has some of my food triggers. Tonight it was turkey and drop dumplings. It was my first time cooking drop dumplings and they actually came out pretty decent. I might try biscuits and gravy next, although biscuits are a whole nother level beyond drop dumplings.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Since we're on lock down, some things are in short supply.

Pancetta being one of them, apparently.

So I made SPAM spaghetti carbonara.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Maven

Post by Maven »

My favorite food blog is called "Half Baked Harvest". It was started by an entrepreneurial young girl and its since grown to be one of the most popular ones out there. It's a bit difficult to follow her recipes exactly these days because that would require a few ingredients you probably can't get your hands on, but give it a look and I'm sure it will inspire something new to add to your at-home menu. We made her tequila marinated chicken quesadillas last night and tonight we'll be having flank steak pinwheels stuffed with spinach and sundried tomatoes.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Marinara sauce.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Spaghetti, homemade lentil soup, cauliflower taco bowls, grilled pork tenderloin, perogies, baked spaghetti squash casserole, etc. We eat at home most of the time already so this is nothing new for us.
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:42 am Since we're on lock down, some things are in short supply.

:D
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:42 am Since we're on lock down, some things are in short supply.

That's like your own episode of Chopped tv show! Awesome.
Wiki
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

DSInvestor wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:44 am

That's like your own episode of Chopped tv show! Awesome.
LOL...I like to cook, I find it calming, and a nice break from the knowledge work I do all week.

And the SPAM carbonara came out better than expected.

But now low on pecorino romano.

Maybe lockdown is a time to finally splurge on buying a huge cheese wheel?
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I got discouraged with all the empty bread aisles at the local stores, so I baked a couple of loaves.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
ADAMNOGGI

Post by ADAMNOGGI »

Skeeter1 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:23 pm Now that we are staying home and looking for ways to fill the hours DW and I have been cooking more. Sometimes we take turns making fun , practical items for each other and sometimes , like today, we combined efforts and made a delicious and healthy chili. Of course, I had to cut the onions! The result, a lot of yummy chili for the next few days.
So how about you, what have you been making?
Let's share ideas and have fun lifting each others spirit while boosting our immune system with nutritious yum.
OK, decedent sweets and desserts are allowed. :D
I live alone (94) and my fall back,easy, quick dish is pork chops and fried cabbage.
Why? As Aubrey Plaza would say "Because I LIKE it". Use thin chops, not the the thick ones. Seems no shortage of chops and cabbage.
bampf

Post by bampf »

A sourdough starter. Crunchy bread bowls! Can't wait...
Nescio
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Our group of friends are all good cooks, we share what we made during meals time.
I'm afraid our group will most likely gain weight during the lock down.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

- Mushroom risotto
- Broiled salmon in the toaster oven

Also see: What have you baked recently?
- look for "No-knead" bread, which I make every week
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick »

I made a big batch of pozole rojo yesterday. Ate well last night, and we should get a couple more meals out of it.

Generally followed this recipe, except I browned the meat first and then removed the meat and cooked the onions in the drippings. I also added three whole cloves, to give it a little twist.
avidlearner

Post by avidlearner »

I made some fritters and Spaghetti Aglio e Olio pasta today.
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

I've been using my instant pot a few times this week - feijoada, red beans and rice, split pea soup, lentil bolognese.

Yesterday I made no knead bread. Would likely make again soon, but both the stores and I are low on flour. 8-)
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

I slow smoked a London Broil round roast and a rack of ribs yesterday. Picked up some chuck roast on sale at 3.29lb.
I will me smoking these like a brisket and making pulled beef this week. Chicken was no where to be found at store this morning. May defrost some boneless turkey breast to cook later. Side dishes of Kale salad, regular salad, corn, beans, etc seem OK at the moment supply wise. Check out recipes for Smoked Meatloaf. Once you try it you will never go back.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

We normally home cook most days (go out 1-3x a month) but obviously now we are home cooking EVERYTHING. We also are beeing much more careful not to waste. Not throwing out leftovers we forgot after a few days or stuff the kids decide they dont like.

We are cooking for a couple days, then having a leftover night to use things up. We had a lot of ground beef so one night we made lasagna (and froze 2 full meals worth), plus a full sheet pan of baked meatballs that got frozen to take out for pasta.

My wife had a butternut squash so she roasted it one day and we made pizzas... including one meatball and a white pizza with the squash. saved the rest and tonight we are making butternut squash risotto... have everything on hand for it.

Last weekend we did a big Sunday breakfast and make lots of breakfast sausage, left the leftovers in the fridge and for a couple days after I’d nuke one and put it on a toasted english muffin for a homemade sausage mcmuffin breakfast.

What else... we did BBQ grilled chicken one night, next night took the leftovers and put it on some flatbreads with extra bbq sauce and cheddar cheese for a flatbread pizza.

We got a rotisserie chicken from the store. Ate some and diced up the rest for chef salads and making hommeade chicken salad sandwiches.

etc etc.. We are a bit limited in how creative we can get with picky 9 year olds in the house...
Last edited by jharkin on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

noraz123 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:29 am Yesterday I made no knead bread. Would likely make again soon, but both the stores and I are low on flour. 8-)
Flour is shelf-stable, so you could try ordering online. However, that might turn into an "interesting" experiment on how well or poorly the online vendor packages items for shipment.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

Marcella Hazan’s Bolognese Sauce
Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe »

A very large pot of black-eyed peas.

So comforting! --- and they are good luck too.

1 bag dry black-eyed peas
Water (see pkg instructions)
A large onion, diced, fried with 1/2 pound diced bacon or ham
Some salsa or a can of diced tomatoes
A few carrots, sliced into coins
Salt and hot sauce to taste

You can't mess this up. I add the carrots near the end of cooking, so they don't overcook.
A big pot can last you a few meals. Great with fresh cornbread on the side.

Some cook it with rice ("Hoppin' John) but where I come from, we take 'em straight.

Rus. :beer
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Sunday Brunch: Home made corned beef hash, topped with an egg over easy (fried in butter) and a cold beer in a heavy frozen glass! :sharebeer
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

My usual Sunday dinner: Roasted whole chicken in a skillet over a bed of Brussels sprouts, carrots and sweet potatoes, stuffed with chopped apple and herbs. I spread butter under the skin and season heavily with kosher salt. Always trussed.

Healthy, easy, tasty. *And* I can save the bones to make bone broth in my pressure cooker.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I got out the bread maker and have been making bread.

I have an instant pot which makes making beans very quick and easy.

If you do not have yeast and are not experienced in breadmaking then you might try making Irish Soda bread if you have all the important ingredients. It is very easy to make.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16947 ... oda-bread/
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

Omelettes, Chicken Pasta, PB&J
... and a drivethru Shamrock Shake.
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I discovered you can make a steak dinner in a slow cooker. This is great for me, because I don't have a grill.

I put some olive oil in my slow cooker, then garlic and salt and pepper. Put the steak in.

Wrap some chopped potatoes and carrots in aluminum foil, and put them on top.

Cook for 3 hours on high. Mouth-wateringly delicious! Lots of drippings from the steak that you can drizzle on the potatoes and carrots.

The manager at my grocery store told me there won't be any more chickens for a long time. I'm glad there is not a steak shortage.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I am baking corn bread. A few days ago I made steel cut oats for a week. :happy

Maybe turkey chili next.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We cooked before almost everyday, so not a huge change. Since we are both home though I am cooking more for 2 meals a day vs. one. I am using this though as a good opportunity to rotate things out of the freezers. I try to do it all the time, but the current situation is an extra push.

I am currently making carnitas and having some family members over. I also expect leftovers. Getting that 10lb pork shoulder out of the freezer will free some space for other stuff.
dewey

Post by dewey »

I do almost all the cooking. This morning we tried a homemade experiment of McDonald's Egg and Sausage McMuffins--they were terrific. Tonight it's Shrimp Fra Diavolo pasta. Tomorrow sautéed scallops with small baked potatoes and harissa green beans. A meatloaf is showing up in a few days. We have about 10-12 dishes we make only once a year (mostly winter dishes) and meatloaf and chili are on that list. The chili appeared a couple weeks ago. I enjoy cooking mostly because I enjoy eating. Red wine ranks up there too with it all. My wife bakes a bit so tomorrow we'll get a batch of oatmeal peanut butter cookies to have around (but not for long!).

Just wanting everyone to be healthy and get through this. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

As Jacques Pepin would say, Happy Cooking!
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Eliyahu

Post by Eliyahu »

Lentils Monastery Style. This recipe is loved by one and all: https://food52.com/recipes/35254-france ... tery-style
Use regular green colored lentils, not orange ones.
You can and should skip the sherry, as it will overshadow the delicate flavors. Kids and grandmas alike love this comforting one-dish meal.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Eliyahu wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:27 pm Lentils Monastery Style. This recipe is loved by one and all: https://food52.com/recipes/35254-france ... tery-style
Use regular green colored lentils, not orange ones.
You can and should skip the sherry, as it will overshadow the delicate flavors. Kids and grandmas alike love this comforting one-dish meal.
Oh I love lentils!

I usually make them in a pressure cooker.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

My college aged daughters are home and one of them bakes with me. We've baked English muffins, oatmeal bread, the world's best brownies and an a raspberry almond Bundt cake.

Since the lockdown I've made grilled pork tenderloin, spaghetti and meat sauce, lasagna with some of the extra sauce, Canal House chicken thighs, and vaguely middle eastern wraps with the leftover pork tenderloin, cucumbers, tomato and yogurt on naan. Tomorrow night is pan fried Asian noodles with stir fry of leftover chicken thighs, cabbage, onions, etc.

I'm getting low on perishables and am going to have to brave the supermarket soon.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Baked Halibut and Mahi-mahi fillets with sauté garlic mushrooms and steamed veggies. Garden Organic Romaine Tomato salad.

We eat simple.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I like simple, as I'm always surprised how good the food tastes with only a few ingredients. You don't need recipes which need a lot of work.

I'm using leftover ingredients to decide what to make for meals later in the week. For example, leftover mushrooms from my mushroom risotto went into scrambled eggs.

Leftover chicken stock will go into a crock pot later this week. I'm not sure what I'll put in it, as it depends what I find at the grocery store. I'm hoping for some fresh veggies.

I forgot to mention earlier that my broiled salmon in the toaster oven was covered with olive oil and za'atar (google it). Why? Over New Years I received a jar of za'atar as part of a Middle-East themed dinner. It was on the shelf, a quick google of "za'atar fish" came up with some recipes. Not bad.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

Salad a la mode.