Coronavirus Flight Cancel Thread

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
iljets10

Re: Coronavirus Flight Cancel Thread

Post by iljets10 »

1) I successfully canceled my flight
2) Delta
3) Full refund
4) Via phone
5) Phone was the best
6) None

Just received refund for flights that we canceled on 4/2 on 4/29, for flights that would have been on 4/22 and 4/25. Delta used almost every day of the 21 business days they gave themselves.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Admiral Fun wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 pm Norwegian Air flight cancelled

We requested refund a month ago and are still waiting.

I’m not holding my breath.
Dispute on your credit card.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Cancelled a couple of American fights scheduled for early June and received a full credit towards another flight. Did it on their website.
goaties

Post by goaties »

Southwest called me and left a message: I could receive a refund for a flight which they had made significant change to. I called the number at 5am EDT, got right through. Told the nice lady I wanted a refund, not credit. She put me on hold for maybe three minutes. Came back and said I would see the refund on my credit card in 5-10 days.

In the interim, received two misleading emails, probably due to poor software design, which gave me pause. (One of them claimed I had cancelled my flight and would be getting the money on my Southwest account--NOT what I wanted!) I ignored the emails. Sure enough, five days later, the refund was posted to my credit card! Thanks Southwest.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

avenger wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:51 am
Admiral Fun wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 pm Norwegian Air flight cancelled

We requested refund a month ago and are still waiting.

I’m not holding my breath.
Dispute on your credit card.

Like this idea. Hotel and flight $ refunds pending on my cc
This time next year, we'll be millionaires!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:42 am
avenger wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:51 am Dispute on your credit card.

Like this idea. Hotel and flight $ refunds pending on my cc
I saw somewhere on FlyerTalk that you can dispute charges with your credit card within 120 days of the date of service; not of the date of purchase. As I pay for many of my flights well in advance, for me, this is a critical distinction.

Can someone confirm or disconfirm this?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Both Mastercard and VISA have extended protections for services that are purchased now for performance in the future. Those policies provide that a dispute timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the dispute must be initiated within 120 calendar days of the transaction processing date OR within 120 calendar days of the last date the customer expected to receive the goods or services (but not to exceed 540 days of the original transaction processing date).

(Mastercard Chargeback Guide, beginning at page 49: https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/m ... -guide.pdf)

(Visa Chargeback Guide, beginning at page 687: https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/ ... public.pdf)

I do not know if AMEX and Discover provide similar protections.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

I booked our August 2020 Azores trip through Cheap O Air (COA) and purchased travel protection (via 3rd party Trip Mate). COA is offering cancellation with a $75 fee per ticket ($675 for the 9 of us). Not doing that. Hold times are extensive with Trip Mate. Visa is closed so I may try Monday morning to dispute.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

RobLyons wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:04 pm I booked our August 2020 Azores trip through Cheap O Air (COA) and purchased travel protection (via 3rd party Trip Mate). COA is offering cancellation with a $75 fee per ticket ($675 for the 9 of us). Not doing that. Hold times are extensive with Trip Mate. Visa is closed so I may try Monday morning to dispute.
What is your grounds for a credit card dispute?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

galawdawg wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:56 am Both Mastercard and VISA have extended protections for services that are purchased now for performance in the future. Those policies provide that a dispute timeline can be based on one of two start dates. Either the dispute must be initiated within 120 calendar days of the transaction processing date OR within 120 calendar days of the last date the customer expected to receive the goods or services (but not to exceed 540 days of the original transaction processing date).

(Mastercard Chargeback Guide, beginning at page 49: https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/m ... -guide.pdf)

(Visa Chargeback Guide, beginning at page 687: https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/ ... public.pdf)

I do not know if AMEX and Discover provide similar protections.
Thank you! (I am copying your entire message, because I think many others will find it helpful.)

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast »

Air New Zealand cancelled my flight from L.A. to London scheduled for September (they have decided to discontinue the route).

I called their toll-free number to ask for a refund. They picked up immediately, and they approved a full refund without an issue. Three days later, the refund showed up on my credit card.

Good airline. Also a beautiful country with a functional national government.
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

Nate79 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:09 pm
RobLyons wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 4:04 pm I booked our August 2020 Azores trip through Cheap O Air (COA) and purchased travel protection (via 3rd party Trip Mate). COA is offering cancellation with a $75 fee per ticket ($675 for the 9 of us). Not doing that. Hold times are extensive with Trip Mate. Visa is closed so I may try Monday morning to dispute.
What is your grounds for a credit card dispute?

Public health? I don't know if I have a shot but I can't morally fly my family (elderly, immunocompromised) on a packed aircraft this year nor maybe next. If it comes down to it, I guess I will pay the cancelation fees. But I won't go down without a fight! :D
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
Calico

Post by Calico »

Thanks for this thread! I have a flight in July to Germany on United that I am waiting on. I really don't want credits or a travel certificate, I rather have a refund, so I am hoping for a cancellation. They just changed my flight to another one, but there is only 5 hours difference. If they change my flight again and it makes it more than 6 hours from my original booking, I wonder if I can argue that's more than a 6 hour change.

I am concerned that the flight may still happen, but Germany may still be closed to tourism. I am hoping, if I can't get a refund, I can get certificates instead of credits. I can travel again in a year or two, but I am not sure about my daughter. Since I bought her ticket, I would be okay with a certificate so I could transfer it to myself for another trip. It sounds like, from this thread, the best way to do that is call if it comes to that.
siamond

Post by siamond »

chw wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 amBooked a trip to Iceland thru Gate 1 Travel for 5/6. [...]
1) Anyone have luck getting a refund from Iceland Air for a cancelled flight?
[...]
Can't get anyone on the phone at Iceland Air, and past communication with them directed me back to the booking agent. It seems from reading EU DOT is requiring refunds for cancelled flights, but it seems the airlines are dragging their feet issuing them.
I had an IcelandAir flight for my wife which got canceled. I bought the ticket via Vayama, one of those super dodgy low-cost resellers. Seeing their terrible online reviews and steady stonewalling about my refund request, I caved and ended up asking (via an online form) for IcelandAir to give us a credit. This went super easy, interaction was fast and friendly, I got the voucher very quickly. And never heard of Vayama since then.

I would normally NOT cave to this kind of BS, but the voucher terms for IcelandAir are extremely flexible, so I decided to make my life a bit easier...
chw

Post by chw »

siamond wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:09 pm
chw wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 amBooked a trip to Iceland thru Gate 1 Travel for 5/6. [...]
1) Anyone have luck getting a refund from Iceland Air for a cancelled flight?
[...]
Can't get anyone on the phone at Iceland Air, and past communication with them directed me back to the booking agent. It seems from reading EU DOT is requiring refunds for cancelled flights, but it seems the airlines are dragging their feet issuing them.
I had an IcelandAir flight for my wife which got canceled. I bought the ticket via Vayama, one of those super dodgy low-cost resellers. Seeing their terrible online reviews and steady stonewalling about my refund request, I caved and ended up asking (via an online form) for IcelandAir to give us a credit. This went super easy, interaction was fast and friendly, I got the voucher very quickly. And never heard of Vayama since then.

I would normally NOT cave to this kind of BS, but the voucher terms for IcelandAir are extremely flexible, so I decided to make my life a bit easier...
Iceland air customer service via email did respond to my inquiry after 3-4 days. They advised that I should strongly encourage my travel agent (Gate 1) to ask for a refund from them, as they would process it for them. I did re-contact Gate 1, and surprisingly, they said they already had mailed me a check (we'll see if it shows up).

I initially was just going to take the credit as well, but opted for getting a refund (even if it involved a "haircut"), since I didn't know when international travel would be considered safe. Anyways, looks like a full refund should be on it's way. I did file a US DOT complaint, which may have helped, but just sayiing...
Calico

Post by Calico »

I have a question for more seasoned travelers. I am pretty sure I am not going to Germany this July with my family at this point. I was taking a wait and see to it all, but things don't seem to be getting better. We are flying to Germany on United and, until May 31, if we cancel we can get travel vouchers good for 24 months with no fees. I am thinking that's the best option to take at this point. Although I will wait until closer to the end of the month.

But I really rather be refunded so I was wondering if any one could tell me how likely they think it would be the flight will be cancelled if half of the flight isn't happening now.

I took a look and the same flight to Germany that I would take in July is still happening even now with all of Germany's travel restriction. So I doubt that will be cancelled in July. But the flight back home is currently not happening (as in not this month) but it's still on the books for July. They might be able to move me to a return flight, but none are direct flights like I booked.

If you were in my shoes? What would you do? I am leaning towards cancelling this month and getting the 24 month voucher. But I am not a seasoned traveler and am wondering if I am jumping the gun too much on this. Thanks!
stan1

Post by stan1 »

For those recommending a charge back here's what Chase has to say on that:
If your dispute is related to travel, we recommend that you start with your travel provider because many airlines and hotels are being flexible about impacted areas. If your trip has been cancelled and your travel provider has not correctly applied their change/cancellation policy, you can submit a billing dispute online.
So basically they are saying they will only step in if the airline or tour company is not following their change/cancellation policy.

Just curious, has anyone had a successful charge back from a credit card issuer when an airline or tour company offered a voucher instead of a cash refund?
Chip

Post by Chip »

Calico wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:05 am If you were in my shoes? What would you do? I am leaning towards cancelling this month and getting the 24 month voucher. But I am not a seasoned traveler and am wondering if I am jumping the gun too much on this. Thanks!
I would wait if you would rather have a refund than a voucher. They aren't going to cancel or reschedule until they have to because that will cause the maximum number of people to get vouchers rather than refunds.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Calico wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:05 am I have a question for more seasoned travelers. I am pretty sure I am not going to Germany this July with my family at this point. I was taking a wait and see to it all, but things don't seem to be getting better. We are flying to Germany on United and, until May 31, if we cancel we can get travel vouchers good for 24 months with no fees. I am thinking that's the best option to take at this point. Although I will wait until closer to the end of the month.

But I really rather be refunded so I was wondering if any one could tell me how likely they think it would be the flight will be cancelled if half of the flight isn't happening now.

I took a look and the same flight to Germany that I would take in July is still happening even now with all of Germany's travel restriction. So I doubt that will be cancelled in July. But the flight back home is currently not happening (as in not this month) but it's still on the books for July. They might be able to move me to a return flight, but none are direct flights like I booked.

If you were in my shoes? What would you do? I am leaning towards cancelling this month and getting the 24 month voucher. But I am not a seasoned traveler and am wondering if I am jumping the gun too much on this. Thanks!
I had a similar choice for a domestic flight on United in July. I received an offer of credit good for 24 months and accepted it. Here are some relevant considerations:
1. The offer United made to me was expiring on April 30th. Yours is expiring on May 31st. Thus, it's conceivable that in June and July United will be making similar offers.
2. I accepted the offer because I was holding a ticket in Basic Economy. If my flight happened, I'd have no rights for refunds, vouchers, or any other compensation. If your ticket is regular you have more rights.
3. United states that if a flight is changed by less than 6 hours, it's still good. I anticipated that United could consolidate several flights on that day or reroute me with a connection. The same could happen with your flight, too. Especially, if you see that United is still flying to Germany.
4. The price of my ticket was less than $300, and I had a reasonable confidence that I'd find a way to spend this amount on United in the next 24 months.

Good luck with making a decision,
Victoria
Calico

Post by Calico »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:05 pm
Calico wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:05 am I have a question for more seasoned travelers. I am pretty sure I am not going to Germany this July with my family at this point. I was taking a wait and see to it all, but things don't seem to be getting better. We are flying to Germany on United and, until May 31, if we cancel we can get travel vouchers good for 24 months with no fees. I am thinking that's the best option to take at this point. Although I will wait until closer to the end of the month.

I had a similar choice for a domestic flight on United in July. I received an offer of credit good for 24 months and accepted it. Here are some relevant considerations:
1. The offer United made to me was expiring on April 30th. Yours is expiring on May 31st. Thus, it's conceivable that in June and July United will be making similar offers.
2. I accepted the offer because I was holding a ticket in Basic Economy. If my flight happened, I'd have no rights for refunds, vouchers, or any other compensation. If your ticket is regular you have more rights.
3. United states that if a flight is changed by less than 6 hours, it's still good. I anticipated that United could consolidate several flights on that day or reroute me with a connection. The same could happen with your flight, too. Especially, if you see that United is still flying to Germany.
4. The price of my ticket was less than $300, and I had a reasonable confidence that I'd find a way to spend this amount on United in the next 24 months.

Good luck with making a decision,
Victoria
I think I saw your post earlier in the thread. Did they give you a travel credit or travel certificate (or did they offer you a choice)? That's a big consideration for me too since one of my party might not be able to travel next year or the year after (a certificate can be transferred, not a credit. So I could use that voucher for me). Wow, a $300 ticket. I spent a lot more than that (although I did pick premium economy for the flight there because I wanted everyone to be well rested since that would be our night's sleep). I figured with the flight back it didn't matter as much.

You have a point with moving to another flight with their six hour window. They are flying now and could easily move me on the return flight and be within the six hours. They actually already "moved" my flight once. The departing flight is five hours earlier (within their six hour window). I guess that saved them from refunding by saying the cancelled my original flight.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Calico wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:47 pm I think I saw your post earlier in the thread. Did they give you a travel credit or travel certificate (or did they offer you a choice)?
They gave me an Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC) as follows:
Travel Certificate
Amount $284.30
Expiration date 04/30/2022
PIN [private info]
Recipient's name [my name]
Certificate issue date 04/30/2020
Promo code [private info]

Using your travel certificate
Change dates and/or cities - YES
Book on United and United Express flights - YES
Book on partner airline flight - NO
Use for new travelers - YES
Combine with other travel certificates - YES
No restrictions applied from current ticket fare rules - YES

As I understand this, up to and on 04/30/2022, I can use the certificate for travel after 04/30/2022. There is also flexibility to use this ETC for another traveler.

The offer of this ETC came as email from UA. My choice was to accept it by April 30th, or not. After reading travel bloggers and FlyerTalk, I decided that, in my situation, the ETC was a lower risk choice than waiting for the date of my travel and hoping for a cancellation or an over 6 hours change.

Victoria
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I just found out that most United flights to Canada in early July got cancelled, so I was able to get a refund from United Airlines.

I looked at the refund link posted on page 3 of this thread, but it didn't look right when I was filling out the forms so I ended up calling customer service. Used the callback option, got a call in a half hour, and the refund only took a few minutes to process. They said it'll take up to 30 days to show up on my credit card.

Way easier than the multi-day saga I had with Expedia back in March.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Question about Expedia: My good friend booked a trip to Vancouver Canada with air (Air Canada) and hotel as an Expedia package. This is for this coming September. The airline has not yet cancelled (or "changed") the flight. If he waits until this happens, will it be too late to dispute the charge with this credit card? The hotel is telling him they won't refund his prepaid hotel charge (through Expedia).

Any ideas on how to maximize any possible refund. He'll probably never fly Air Canada again, so a credit is basically worthless.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:30 pm Question about Expedia: My good friend booked a trip to Vancouver Canada with air (Air Canada) and hotel as an Expedia package. This is for this coming September. The airline has not yet cancelled (or "changed") the flight. If he waits until this happens, will it be too late to dispute the charge with this credit card? The hotel is telling him they won't refund his prepaid hotel charge (through Expedia).

Any ideas on how to maximize any possible refund. He'll probably never fly Air Canada again, so a credit is basically worthless.
If the flight stays scheduled, does your friend plan on going?

Best bet would be to wait and see if the airline cancels the flight. It might not officially happen until a week before departure. Then he'll need to call Expedia and hope for a miracle to get through to a live person.

Another option is to use the Better Business Bureau to file a complaint if he can't get through to customer service. I filed one the day before I finally got through to a representative on the phone, and Expedia responded to the complaint (it was fortunately resolved by that point).

As far as the hotel, he might be out of luck. But if the border is still closed by then and he can't physically go, a credit card dispute may be worth a try.
Calico

Post by Calico »

VictoriaF wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:19 pm
Calico wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:47 pm I think I saw your post earlier in the thread. Did they give you a travel credit or travel certificate (or did they offer you a choice)?
They gave me an Electronic Travel Certificate (ETC) as follows:
Travel Certificate
Amount $284.30
Expiration date 04/30/2022
PIN [private info]
Recipient's name [my name]
Certificate issue date 04/30/2020
Promo code [private info]

Using your travel certificate
Change dates and/or cities - YES
Book on United and United Express flights - YES
Book on partner airline flight - NO
Use for new travelers - YES
Combine with other travel certificates - YES
No restrictions applied from current ticket fare rules - YES

As I understand this, up to and on 04/30/2022, I can use the certificate for travel after 04/30/2022. There is also flexibility to use this ETC for another traveler.

The offer of this ETC came as email from UA. My choice was to accept it by April 30th, or not. After reading travel bloggers and FlyerTalk, I decided that, in my situation, the ETC was a lower risk choice than waiting for the date of my travel and hoping for a cancellation or an over 6 hours change.

Victoria
Thank you so much. This makes my choice much easier. The certificate can be transferred to another person which is exactly what I need if a refund won't happen (and I doubt it will with their "6 hour" flight adjustment window). My daughter won't be able to go next year, so I rather have the money I spent on her ticket for me (although I will use a flight certificate too. I could use it for me or for an upgrade to the Germany trip when I take it).
housewife

Post by housewife »

We were supposed to go on a trip to Japan and China in June and July. The trip was booked late last year, and all the flights were non-refundable. Flying ANA from US to Japan and then Japan to China, and flying United from China back to US. Earlier this week, I canceled the ANA part of the trip on ANA website, supposedly with full refund. I have not seen the refund on my credit card statement yet, but I assume it would take a few weeks.

The United leg is the tricky one. They have not flown any routes to/from China since February, but they are planning to reinstate some of the routes, because apparently “the demand is back”. Quite odd since, at this point, neither country is allowing citizens from the other country to visit. So now I have three options —

(1) United is offering a travel certificate if I cancel the trip by the end of May. This is not terrible, but I would feel obligated to travel in the next 24 months, and obligated to travel on United, even if they do not provide the best service/pricing. Not great, bit acceptable.

(2) I can get a partial refund anytime before the flight takes off (Mid-July). In that case, I would lose $1,000 in cancelation fees. Hard cash is great, but losing $1k is definitely not ideal.

(3) wait to see what happens. United might not reinstate any routes to China, or not reinstate the route we would be traveling on. I might get a full refund, which is the best case scenario. But they may also put us on a connecting flight which can somehow get us back to within 6 hours of the original schedule. In that case, I would have to fall back to option (2), assuming option (1) is no longer available.

We cannot go on the trip even if we wanted to, as neither Japan nor China is allowing non-citizens to enter the country. We do have a travel insurance policy, which was purchased before the pandemic. I was hoping that the insurance would kick in in this situation, but I am not sure. I tried to call them a couple of times, but neither time was not able to get a hold of any representatives.
student

Post by student »

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:30 pm Question about Expedia: My good friend booked a trip to Vancouver Canada with air (Air Canada) and hotel as an Expedia package. This is for this coming September. The airline has not yet cancelled (or "changed") the flight. If he waits until this happens, will it be too late to dispute the charge with this credit card? The hotel is telling him they won't refund his prepaid hotel charge (through Expedia).

Take a look at my post a few above yours: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=307381&start=150#p5226828
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

galawdawg wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:48 am

Take a look at my post a few above yours: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=307381&start=150#p5226828
This is excellent information. Thank you for pointing me to what I missed.
Topic Author
mc2

Post by mc2 »

Here's my update:

LOT Airlines cancelled my flight. I've been on a waiting list for a full refund. After each call (3), the agent claims I will get it, but I haven't.

I spoke with MasterCard claims and they told me they only deal with cancellations that "I" generate, such as a death of a family member, serious medical condition. They don't deal with cancellations that were generated by the airline. Those would be handled by the credit card issuing bank.

I'll wait another week and then proceed to file a claim with the credit card company. The agent said it's typically a 90-day process and often results in a party (me) vs party (LOT), which may ultimately get forwarded back to MasterCard to rule in favor of me or LOT.
avenger

Post by avenger »

mc2 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:41 am Here's my update:

LOT Airlines cancelled my flight. I've been on a waiting list for a full refund. After each call (3), the agent claims I will get it, but I haven't.

I spoke with MasterCard claims and they told me they only deal with cancellations that "I" generate, such as a death of a family member, serious medical condition. They don't deal with cancellations that were generated by the airline. Those would be handled by the credit card issuing bank.

I'll wait another week and then proceed to file a claim with the credit card company. The agent said it's typically a 90-day process and often results in a party (me) vs party (LOT), which may ultimately get forwarded back to MasterCard to rule in favor of me or LOT.
So you disputed the charge with your CC company?
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
Topic Author
mc2

Post by mc2 »

avenger wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:29 am
I have not, and I don't really know why. I am hoping that the LOT refund will arrive shortly, rather than waiting 90 days with the CC, and possibly avoiding filling out forms, submitting paperwork, etc.

As far as I know, the payout amount would be the same regardless.
avenger

Post by avenger »

mc2 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:59 am
I have not, and I don't really know why. I am hoping that the LOT refund will arrive shortly, rather than waiting 90 days with the CC, and possibly avoiding filling out forms, submitting paperwork, etc.

Save yourself some heartache.

Dispute the charge.

I’ve done this for a number of charges and unresponsive vendors (AirBnB, United airlines) with success.
Topic Author
mc2

Post by mc2 »

avenger wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Dispute the charge.

I’ve done this for a number of charges and unresponsive vendors (AirBnB, United airlines) with success.
Ha-Thanks for the push! What was the processing time after you filed for the disputes?
avenger

Post by avenger »

mc2 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:15 pm
avenger wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Dispute the charge.

Ha-Thanks for the push! What was the processing time after you filed for the disputes?
Credit to my account was near immediate.
Time to resolution was quite fast for both. A few days or so.
Topic Author
mc2

Post by mc2 »

I'm happy that you had good success and thanks for your prompting. I've called Cap One and gave up w/1 hour wait times. I'll try later today and report back.
avenger

Post by avenger »

mc2 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 pm I'm happy that you had good success and thanks for your prompting. I've called Cap One and gave up w/1 hour wait times. I'll try later today and report back.
Most CC companies allow you to dispute directly from the website.

My dispute took 3 minutes to do online.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

My destination wedding scheduled for August 2020 has been unfortunately rescheduled until next summer 2021. Fiancee and I had luck getting everything squared away that we put money into.

My brother hasn't been so lucky with Frontier Airlines and I'm hoping for some advice to help him out. He has been on the phone with Frontier 3 different times and they won't budge; all they will offer him is a 90-Day Credit Voucher. He purchased 6 round-trip flights (2 adults, 4 kids) for $523 with his Debit Card.

Any proven tips to help him get out of this mess? :beer
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

Yowzer... https://topclassactions.com/coronavirus ... t-refunds/

Frontier hasn't even refunded a passenger with a completely canceled flight. I'm not sure how this is going to pan out... :?
takingcontrol

Delta Sky-nightmare

Post by takingcontrol »

[merged this post and its replies into the existing thread - moderator prudent]

Anyone have any tips on how to get through to Delta?

They no longer offer the callback option, so I can (and have) tried my luck with the 9-hour phone wait. Usually the phone drops.

I've tried:
1) Facebook
2) Twitter
3) Their skymiles complaints portal
4) BBB complaint

NOBODY freaking contacts me back.

At this point, I'm sick of it and I just want a refund in my original form of payment.
whodidntante

Re: Delta Sky-nightmare

Post by whodidntante »

Some people claim to have success by writing the CEO of a public company. Something about a legally required response. I've never tried that, but I've never tried waiting on hold for 9 hours, either.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

takingcontrol wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:22 pm Anyone have any tips on how to get through to Delta?

They no longer offer the callback option, so I can (and have) tried my luck with the 9-hour phone wait. Usually the phone drops.

I've tried:
1) Facebook
2) Twitter
3) Their skymiles complaints portal
4) BBB complaint

NOBODY freaking contacts me back.

At this point, I'm sick of it and I just want a refund in my original form of payment.
I don't think you can get a refund if you cancel your flight but you should get a 100% credit for future booking. I would cancel online and get a confirmation email from them.

TravelforFun
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Snail mail?

Delta Air Lines Inc.
Passenger Refunds
P.O. Box 20537
Atlanta, GA
30320-2537 USA

I got that off an email I received Monday when I submitted an online refund request.
Betterself

Post by Betterself »

Are you bilingual? I tried 800-327-2850. It is an Asian pacific line that can communicate in Japanese Korean and Chinese.

Or try DoT complain website?
Last edited by Betterself on Wed May 13, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takingcontrol

Post by takingcontrol »

I know that they are going through a rough patch, but customer service has never been great. And this experience just highlights how deep into the crapper it has gone.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Just cancel online and take the credit. You’ll have two years to use it. Why continue to deal with the aggravation?
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
takingcontrol

Post by takingcontrol »

Betterself wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:30 pm Are you bilingual? I tried 800-327-2850. It is an Asian pacific line that can communicate in Japanese Korean and Chinese.

Or try DoT complain website?
You know what's funny? I actually tried this line and tried Japanese first and then Korean second. Everything is diverting back to the main Delta English line that now has no callback option. I'll be angry if they actually get bailout money. They should go under and let some small agile service-friendly airlines come to the fore.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

When did Delta's call back go away?

I used it last week to get a refund for a flight they canceled. They called in about an hour and it was very smooth. Haven't seen the refund yet though.

If you're canceling (rather than them) I think you can just get the credit to use another time online.
takingcontrol

Post by takingcontrol »

MP123 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm When did Delta's call back go away?

I used it last week to get a refund for a flight they canceled. They called in about an hour and it was very smooth. Haven't seen the refund yet though.

If you're canceling (rather than them) I think you can just get the credit to use another time online.
It's totally gone now. I think that they probably just don't have the manpower to staff it anymore.
Yeah, I really don't want "store credit." It's always been cash of bust with me. If they want to double my skymiles balance then we can talk shop, but I doubt that'll happen.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Considering you user name, it must be difficult when unable to take control.

Take the credit and move on. There is a reason why no one is answering. Odds are even if you do get though to them you will only get credit.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418