Battery powered lawn mower recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KirklandCoug

Battery powered lawn mower recommendation

Post by KirklandCoug »

I'm looking to buy a battery powered lawn mower. Any recommendations? I live in the Seattle area so I need one that can cut through wet grass on occasion. My lawn usually takes about 45 minutes to cut. Thanks.
bloom2708

Re: Battery powered lawn mower recommendation

Post by bloom2708 »

I would look at the Snapper 82v.

https://www.amazon.com/Snapper-SXDWM82K ... 190&sr=8-1

This comes with 2 batteries. I would maybe have a 3rd and rotate between them.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

I'm still skeptical of the cost benefit of battery lawnmowers

My sense is they are likely to be underpowered especially for wet grass, or thick grass if you don't get to mowing when you need to, or if you wanted to mulch leaves etc.

And even if they do have enough power I question the cost benefit over the long term....my $250 gas Toro has been working fine for 16 years. I would guess that in that time you would need one, or perhaps already two, new sets of batteries? I assume that is pretty expensive.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 pm I'm still skeptical of the cost benefit of battery lawnmowers

My sense is they are likely to be underpowered especially for wet grass, or thick grass if you don't get to mowing when you need to, or if you wanted to mulch leaves etc.

And even if they do have enough power I question the cost benefit over the long term....my $250 gas Toro has been working fine for 16 years. I would guess that in that time you would need one, or perhaps already two, new sets of batteries? I assume that is pretty expensive.
Cost benefit didn't even register as a consideration for me in switching to electric. It was all about ease of use and convenience. My electric is much quieter, I never have to refill a gas can just as I'd like to get started, the battery is shared among all of my yard equipment, and it folds up meaning it takes up about 1/4 the storage space of my old gas mower.

I have an Echo model and am completely happy - it stalls in wet grass far less frequently than my old Honda, it mulches better, so much so that I was able to mulch 100% of my extremely heavy leaf cover this fall - I didn't touch my rake once.

And electrics are getting substantially better every year.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

onourway wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09 pm
Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 pm I'm still skeptical of the cost benefit of battery lawnmowers

Cost benefit didn't even register as a consideration for me in switching to electric. It was all about ease of use and convenience. My electric is much quieter, I never have to refill a gas can just as I'd like to get started, the battery is shared among all of my yard equipment, and it folds up meaning it takes up about 1/4 the storage space of my old gas mower.

I have an Echo model and am completely happy - it stalls in wet grass far less frequently than my old Honda, it mulches better, so much so that I was able to mulch 100% of my extremely heavy leaf cover this fall - I didn't touch my rake once.

Which Echo model do you have and how big is your yard? Thanks
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:27 pm
onourway wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Which Echo model do you have and how big is your yard? Thanks
and how much running time do you get on a battery? My wife is begging me to move to an electric model this year and I have been considering doing so - it seems the sound of my mower interferes with her pool-side serenity :)
lws

Post by lws »

I have a Black & Decker. Does the job well.
They encourage battery powered mowers here in SoCal.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:27 pm Which Echo model do you have and how big is your yard? Thanks
I think they only make one - https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-21-in- ... /205566037

Lot is ~10,000sq. ft. of which perhaps 60% is mowed. Takes me about 40 minutes. One battery may or may not do the entire yard depending on how thick/wet it is. I have two batteries so I can be assured to mow, trim, and blow without having to wait for a charge.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

onourway wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09 pm And electrics are getting substantially better every year.
They made a step-change once manufacturers started making them with large, high voltage lithium-ion packs, but the remaining improvements possible from there are small. Battery capabilities are at most advancing a few percent a year right now, and that is the main limiting factor in their performance. The main near-term opportunity is cost reductions, but I wouldn't expect those to be massive, so I don't see those as a reason for someone considering an electric mower to wait.

(the Ryobi electric riding mower is an exception - it uses a pair of medium-size lead acid batteries and could be significantly improved with lithium ion batteries and higher power motors, although the cost would also increase a bit)
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wertdaman

Post by wertdaman »

I've been happily using the Ego Power Plus for 2+ years - I have the 21" mower, leaf blower, and multi-head system with the edging head. I have two batteries, which is more than sufficient for our smaller yard. The leaf blower is the biggest drain on battery, FYI. No issues with tall, wet grass either, beyond the typical buildup on the mower deck. I would not hesitate to purchase this same equipment again.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

wertdaman wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:40 pm I've been happily using the Ego Power Plus for 2+ years - I have the 21" mower, leaf blower, and multi-head system with the edging head. I have two batteries, which is more than sufficient for our smaller yard. The leaf blower is the biggest drain on battery, FYI. No issues with tall, wet grass either, beyond the typical buildup on the mower deck. I would not hesitate to purchase this same equipment again.
Same Ego is great. I have a 7 and a 5 for the batteries, and that seems fine for my lot. Depending on how much work I do I can drain the 7 with the 5 on deck, and swap as needed. Rarely drain the 5 before I'm done, and the few cases I do the 7 has enough juice to get me through. The 2 battery is useless IMO.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

I think mine is. Kobalt (Lowes store brand). It came with 2 80v batteries, which last for about 30-40 minutes each. It has a setting where it puts a little extra juice into the engine if the grass is long/wet. It can't be beat for convenience, ease of use and low noise. Can't speak for durability yet since I have only had it for 1 season.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

How much are replacement batteries for these things?

I do agree that in general the battery power is getting better. I have a brushless impact wrench that works really well while in the "old days" I would have needed a big compressor and air tools.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

KirklandCoug wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm I'm looking to buy a battery powered lawn mower. Any recommendations? I live in the Seattle area so I need one that can cut through wet grass on occasion. My lawn usually takes about 45 minutes to cut. Thanks.
Used to work for an outdoor power equipment manufacturer that specialized in mowers and tractors

I cannot recommend any battery powered lawn mower unless your yard is very small and you're cutting in good conditions

These products have a very high warranty rate (across the industry) and replacement batteries are expensive
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I bought a ryobi self-propelled for my 1/2 acre lawn. It cuts as about as fast as I can walk behind it, though it can bog a bit if I cut it at its closest setting in wet grass (not an issue if you don't try to cut first thing in the morning or after rain). It requires 3 batteries to comfortably do both the front and back yard, but you can get batteries pretty cheap on ebay. Totally worth it for the silence and not having to store gasoline or deal with hard starting after a few months of disuse.
gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb »

I have an Ego. they aren't cheap but them seem to work.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

Ramjet wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:55 pm
KirklandCoug wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm I'm looking to buy a battery powered lawn mower. Any recommendations? I live in the Seattle area so I need one that can cut through wet grass on occasion. My lawn usually takes about 45 minutes to cut. Thanks.
Used to work for an outdoor power equipment manufacturer that specialized in mowers and tractors

I cannot recommend any battery powered lawn mower unless your yard is very small and you're cutting in good conditions

These products have a very high warranty rate (across the industry) and replacement batteries are expensive
That was my gut too - they probably work fine in ideal mowing conditions but come at a pretty high cost of usage and they may not work that well for mulching through bigger piles of leaves etc. Since I already have the gas can and a detached garage to store my old mower that keeps chugging along, investing more $$$ into electric doesn't have much merit for me
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’ll be follwing this thread. I’ve got an awesome gas powered Honda that’s been great for over twenty years. When it finally dies, I’m going electric too.
TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant »

Wet grass, 45 minutes of operating time on a good day?

Do yourself a favor and get a nice gas-powered model. Any electric mower that can actually run for almost an hour while cutting wet grass will cost 100x what a comparable gas model would. Either that or you'll need four or five fully charged batteries on hand at all times.

Notice the run time on that Amazon mower - UP TO. That's literally 45 minutes of the thing just idling on a concrete walkway.

That's also with the battery in 100% tip-top condition, which unless you keep it at 50% at all times, will degrade over time.

Every single device I've purchased with a litium ion battery has experienced battery degradation over time. So either I'm constantly buying crappy products with crappy batteries, or this is just the nature of the electrical beast.

PS my Craftsman push mower is from the 1980's and still runs fine.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

TheAccountant wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:33 pm Wet grass, 45 minutes of operating time on a good day?

Do yourself a favor and get a nice gas-powered model. Any electric mower that can actually run for almost an hour while cutting wet grass will cost 100x what a comparable gas model would. Either that or you'll need four or five fully charged batteries on hand at all times.

Notice the run time on that Amazon mower - UP TO. That's literally 45 minutes of the thing just idling on a concrete walkway.

That's also with the battery in 100% tip-top condition, which unless you keep it at 50% at all times, will degrade over time.

Every single device I've purchased with a litium ion battery has experienced battery degradation over time. So either I'm constantly buying crappy products with crappy batteries, or this is just the nature of the electrical beast.

"But I want to be GREEN!"

So I will spend $600 on a new electric mower that requires giant lithium batteries that will need to be replaced every 5years and cost a few hundred more and then I will throw away those batteries and the plastic that surrounds them, but I will avoid the use of 1.7 gallons of gas each summer haha

Although to be fair, I'm sure there is some benefit of reducing the emissions from a lawnmower engine
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I have an EGO from Home Depot (and a couple other devices that use the same batteries). Bought it in 2014. Love it. Will NEVER go back to gas for any reason.

It can and does cut wet and tall grass (several weeks without a cut before I had a lawnmower). Not a pretty cut, but it got the job done.

I use it to mulch leaves fall and spring. Used it just yesterday in fact. Pulled it out of the shed after many months and it took all of 1 second to start and be ready to go.

If this one got hit by a Mack truck today, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

With a 45 minute job, you might need a second battery. The leaf blower is awesome and the batteries are interchangeable.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:45 pm ...and then I will throw away those batteries and the plastic that surrounds them, but I will avoid the use of 1.7 gallons of gas each summer haha
No, you take the batteries back to the store for recycling. Not perfect, but much better than throwing them away.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

retiredjg wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:47 pm I have an EGO from Home Depot (and a couple other devices that use the same batteries). Bought it in 2014. Love it. Will NEVER go back to gas for any reason.

It can and does cut wet and tall grass (several weeks without a cut before I had a lawnmower). Not a pretty cut, but it got the job done.

I use it to mulch leaves fall and spring. Used it just yesterday in fact. Pulled it out of the shed after many months and it took all of 1 second to start and be ready to go.

If this one got hit by a Mack truck today, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

With a 45 minute job, you might need a second battery. The leaf blower is awesome and the batteries are interchangeable.
Same here. I just used my Ego yesterday. This will be it's fourth season and I'm still on the original battery.
My signature has been deleted.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I have a Greenworks Pro from Lowe's. 21 inch, 60 volt. Came with a 5Ah battery.

I would have bought an Ego, but this one was on clearance for less than half price (originally $500) so I thought I'd give it a try. It's been a good mower so far and has functioned just as well as my previous gas mower.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

I'm game to have a look at them whenever my current Toro gas mower dies
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

We have the green works twin motor mower and line trimmer. The first green works mower lasted 4 or 5 years. We bought another one and kept using the original batteries. The line trimmer is great. We bought an aftermarket brush trimmer attachment with renegade blades. We're able to cut 3" trees, vines, decorative grasses, etc. We also have the ego hedge trimmer.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

mgensler wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:05 pm We have the green works twin motor mower and line trimmer. The first green works mower lasted 4 or 5 years. We bought another one and kept using the original batteries. The line trimmer is great. We bought an aftermarket brush trimmer attachment with renegade blades. We're able to cut 3" trees, vines, decorative grasses, etc. We also have the ego hedge trimmer.
So the mower died before the battery did? That seems strange. What "dies" on these mowers? The electric motor presumably?
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

I am also in the market for an electric lawn mower, mostly for the noise factor. I have slowly converted my lawn to prairie plants ( in less used potions) and to so-called no-mow lawn in other portions. My ancient internal combustion mower is total over-kill now because I mow 20 minutes once per summer month. Yes, I still feel compelled to mow occasionally, but at least there is no fertilizer, less watering, and lower impact to the environment.
No-mow is really only no-now if you do not live next to a neighbor who is hell-bent on having a lawn that looks like a country—club green. I do and can attest that this neighbor is probably causing the algae bloom in our adjacent lake (with all the fertilizer and water he applies).
Well, whatever, I also am interested in this thread but, unlike the OP, am interested in less powerful motors.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

I am also in the market for an electric lawn mower, mostly for the noise factor. I have slowly converted my lawn to prairie plants ( in less used potions) and to so-called no-mow lawn in other portions. My ancient internal combustion mower is total over-kill now because I mow 20 minutes once per summer month. Yes, I still feel compelled to mow occasionally, but at least there is no fertilizer, less watering, and lower impact to the environment.
No-mow is really only no-now if you do not live next to a neighbor who is hell-bent on having a lawn that looks like a country—club green. I do and can attest that this neighbor is probably causing the algae bloom in our adjacent lake (with all the fertilizer and water he applies).
Well, whatever, I also am interested in this thread but, unlike the OP, am interested in less powerful motors.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

I use the EGO, bought a few years ago. It takes 45 minutes for my lawn, have always completed the job on a single charge.It can handle high, thick and wet grass. MIL has a much larger lawn, and there the EGO gives out after about an hour or so. So I switch to her self-propelled John Deere to finish it. I much prefer pushing the battery-powered mower; its lighter and more agile than the John Deere gas powered mower (which is a monster and , in spite of being self-propelled, much more trouble to mow with).

The EGO folds conveniently for storage; its not silent, but its quieter than gas-powered; it doesn't stink. It is easy to pick up and put in the back of our car to move around. I will not have a gas-powered lawnmower again.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm How much are replacement batteries for these things?

I do agree that in general the battery power is getting better. I have a brushless impact wrench that works really well while in the "old days" I would have needed a big compressor and air tools.
Since the price jumped out at me yesterday when I happened to glance at them while shopping for other items, I just looked them up again: The Ryobi 40 V, 5 Ah battery is $159. The eGo 56 V, 5 Ah battery is $249.

As is common with cordless, though, you can get deals buying batteries with other tools. For example, Ryobi has a leaf blower and line trimmer each listed at $159 with a 4 Ah battery (20% smaller than the above).
myleaf

Post by myleaf »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a battery powered reel mower to replace my McLane 17" ?
"Never met an electron I did not like"
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

retiredjg wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:48 pm
Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:45 pm ...and then I will throw away those batteries and the plastic that surrounds them, but I will avoid the use of 1.7 gallons of gas each summer haha
No, you take the batteries back to the store for recycling. Not perfect, but much better than throwing them away.
The reality is there is no complete recycling method currently worked out for lithium ion batteries. When there is a large supply of consistent batteries, it is economical to grade them for re-use, such as in grid storage applications where energy density is less critical.

The current lithium ion "recycling" process is hinted at by its name: pyrometallurgy.

Basically, burn it to react the nasty portions to a stable state, then recycle left over iron, copper, and nickle. It requires capture of the gases generated for safety (well, depending which country it is recycled in, I suppose), but so far an economic way to recover the lithium has not been demonstrated yet.

It is being worked on, though.
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:12 pm
mgensler wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:05 pm We have the green works twin motor mower and line trimmer. The first green works mower lasted 4 or 5 years. We bought another one and kept using the original batteries. The line trimmer is great. We bought an aftermarket brush trimmer attachment with renegade blades. We're able to cut 3" trees, vines, decorative grasses, etc. We also have the ego hedge trimmer.
So the mower died before the battery did? That seems strange. What "dies" on these mowers? The electric motor presumably?
Something in the electronics/cut off switch. The new mower has a different setup even though it is the same model number. Must have been a known issue. I broke part of the housing getting it apart as well. Most of the cost in these tools are the batteries anyway.
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

I bought my first battery powered Black & Decker lawnmower back around 1997. Not having a garage or shed, I liked the idea of being able to keep it in the basement. It lasted 20 years, and I replaced the battery only once. The batteries back then were pretty heavy, but I was young enough to be able to haul it up the stairs.
I bought a new battery powered Sun Joe mower 3 years ago. Technology has really improved. I can carry that thing up the stairs with one hand.
Mactheriverrat
Location: Works on the Mississippi River on the barges. Live's in Little Rock, AR.

Post by Mactheriverrat »

After looking into the reviews I decided on a Ryobi 20 in. 40-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless Battery Walk Behind Push Lawn Mower 6.0 Ah Battery/Charger Included from Home Depot.

Has worked really great and have had no problems. The battery that came with the lawnmower works great.We did go back and get a extra battery as a back up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-20-i ... /311084745
Everything evolves. | May Every Sunrise Bring You Hope. May Every Sunset Bring you Peace.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

I've had a Toro 24v mower for about 15 years. It has worked great. I suspect the newer models that have higher power batteries are better.
My batteries last 3-4 years, and cost about $45 to replace. It seems more expensive than gas, but I love the convenience. The mower runs for about an hour, and is very lightweight. I would love getting a system that has a battery powered weed-wacker/edger that could share batteries with the mower.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

iamlucky13 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:37 pm
Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:53 pm How much are replacement batteries for these things?

Since the price jumped out at me yesterday when I happened to glance at them while shopping for other items, I just looked them up again: The Ryobi 40 V, 5 Ah battery is $159. The eGo 56 V, 5 Ah battery is $249.

As is common with cordless, though, you can get deals buying batteries with other tools. For example, Ryobi has a leaf blower and line trimmer each listed at $159 with a 4 Ah battery (20% smaller than the above).
I got my (genuine) Ryobi batteries for ~$70 on ebay- brand new.
Paddygirl

Post by Paddygirl »

I've had my EGO leaf blower for 3 years and it's still going strong. I absolutely love it. If the EGO lawnmower works as good, I would def buy it! I have a lawn service though.
onourway

Post by onourway »

When I wanted a second battery for my lawnmower the battery alone was $200. I was able to buy a blower with the same battery and another charger for $215...

Every thread about electric equipment here has a few people claiming that they can't possibly hold a candle to their gas counterparts, that they won't be reliable etc. Yet those who actually own and use these regularly nearly universally love them and can't imagine going back to gas. Last year in an electric blower thread I posted Echo's own comparison chart in which the electric models are rated higher in every spec than their gas counterparts.
TheAccountant wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:33 pm Wet grass, 45 minutes of operating time on a good day?

You don't actually own an electric mower, do you? My Echo on a relatively small 4aH battery goes 45 minutes in good conditions and about 20 if the lawn is heavily overgrown and wet. Two batteries still cuts my entire yard with no delay. 100x the cost of a gas model and need for 4-5 batteries? Get real. Batteries charge from 0-50% or so in about 20 minutes. I willingly gave up my high-end Honda and would never go back.

It's worth noting that Echo provides a 5 year consumer and 2 year commercial warranty for this mower (even Honda's commercial line of walk behind mowers has only a 1 year warranty on everything but the engine which is 2).
Last edited by onourway on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Has anyone bought the new EGO Select Cut lawn mower, which has 2 blades for better cutting and mulching? Wonder how it compares to the Honda lawn mower which gets the best mulching rating in Consumer Reports.
TinyElvis

Post by TinyElvis »

I, too, have the Echo mower (4 years) from Home Depot that was previously referenced and have been quite pleased with it. Highly recommended. I also recommend having the extra battery.

It's rare that I cut my grass when wet, but when I have to the Echo has performed just fine. For those having issues when the grass is wet, I think that you may be cutting your grass too short. :)
"Give a cat a fish and it will eat for a day. Teach a cat to fish and it will just sit there waiting for you to give it a fish."
jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich »

Been happy with our Kobalt 40v for a couple years now. Enough battery to do our smaller front and back yard combined 2-3 times over without charging. Quiet. Get to share batteries with the string trimmer and thinking about buying a hedge trimmer on same battery.
TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant »

onourway wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:36 am When I wanted a second battery for my lawnmower the battery alone was $200. I was able to buy a blower with the same battery and another charger for $215...

Every thread about electric equipment here has a few people claiming that they can't possibly hold a candle to their gas counterparts, that they won't be reliable etc. Yet those who actually own and use these regularly nearly universally love them and can't imagine going back to gas. Last year in an electric blower thread I posted Echo's own comparison chart in which the electric models are rated higher in every spec than their gas counterparts.

You don't actually own an electric mower, do you? My Echo on a relatively small 4aH battery goes 45 minutes in good conditions and about 20 if the lawn is heavily overgrown and wet. Two batteries still cuts my entire yard with no delay. 100x the cost of a gas model and need for 4-5 batteries? Get real. Batteries charge from 0-50% or so in about 20 minutes. I willingly gave up my high-end Honda and would never go back.

It's worth noting that Echo provides a 5 year consumer and 2 year commercial warranty for this mower (even Honda's commercial line of walk behind mowers has only a 1 year warranty on everything but the engine which is 2).
I don't own an electric mower. My neighbor has the electric Toro, the lot is .25 acres, maybe a bit more.

In the spring when the lawn is frequently wet/thick, this thing struggles. I always see him with half of the lawn mowed, and the mower parked in the driveway. I'm assuming he is charging the battery.

Now me personally, I could never own an e-mower because my lawn is too big. I need a rider. I spent $ 75 on mine - I bought it used with a blown transmission. I put an e-bay hydro trans in it and am in for a grand total of $ 225. It's a 2011 model V-twin 24 hp with a 50" deck.

So if you can find me an electric tractor with a 50" deck that can mow 2 or 3 acres at a time without recharging, then I'll take a look. Otherwise I am sticking with I/C.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I'm not the original author, but could we please get this thread back on track. I think a lot of us are looking for what people having recent battery powered lawn mowers like or don't like about their mowers. This thread should not be able why you should use gas mowers.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I like EVERYTHING about mine. :D
mhlambert

Post by mhlambert »

I switched from gas to electric last year. I purchased a Kobalt 80-volt 21" mower from Lowe's.

The mower came with a single 5.0 Ah Lithium battery. I waited until it was on sale ($400) and used my Lowe's charge for an additional 5% off.

I mulch my lawn and the leaves in the fall. And there are a lot of leaves! The mower mulches just fine, is much quieter, and is a lot less hassle to operate. The version I bought (Google "Lowes 1129999") is not self propelled but is so light that this is not a factor. (Cheaper, simpler, and less things to go wrong.)

I have an average suburban lawn and even when mulching leaves have never had to stop to recharge.

So far I'm completely happy with this mower.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

I have a smallish lot that I mow, edge, trim, and leaf-blow with my two 2.5Ah batteries. The batteries are shared between my Ego mower, Ego string trimmer, and Ego leaf-blower. Having two smaller batteries allows my to have two yard tools ready to use without swapping batteries around. I have the standard charger that came with the mower as a bundle and a fast charger. The fast charger will put a 3/4 charge on the battery in 20 minutes in the very rare event I deplete both batteries. When I'm all done, the batteries go in their own charger and are ready and fully charged for their next use.

Zero issues with cutting, trimming, or blowing, which should be no surprise given the low end torque characteristics of electric motors.

Overall, extremely happy. Total buy in of about $600 for everything
Last edited by kevinf on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDngnPhaZX4

Ego vs Ryobi self-propelled mower reviewed by WorkShopAddict
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

TheAccountant wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 am
onourway wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:36 am When I wanted a second battery for my lawnmower the battery alone was $200. I was able to buy a blower with the same battery and another charger for $215...

I don't own an electric mower. My neighbor has the electric Toro, the lot is .25 acres, maybe a bit more.

In the spring when the lawn is frequently wet/thick, this thing struggles. I always see him with half of the lawn mowed, and the mower parked in the driveway. I'm assuming he is charging the battery.

Now me personally, I could never own an e-mower because my lawn is too big. I need a rider. I spent $ 75 on mine - I bought it used with a blown transmission. I put an e-bay hydro trans in it and am in for a grand total of $ 225. It's a 2011 model V-twin 24 hp with a 50" deck.

So if you can find me an electric tractor with a 50" deck that can mow 2 or 3 acres at a time without recharging, then I'll take a look. Otherwise I am sticking with I/C.
One exists (at least based on spec) that can mow 3 acres:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-42-in ... lsrc=aw.ds

Sounds like the Toro is a bit of a dog, or he doesn't have a sufficient battery pack. I mow 1/2 acre lot with a Ryobi electric. I baked the cost of 3 batteries (one came with the lawnmower) into the cost, though I can usually get it done with just two. There's a compartment for additional batteries in the mower, so swapping takes no more than 5 seconds. Total buy-in was $450. Compared to the local yard service, I make back the cost pretty quickly.