Battery powered lawn mower recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pahkcah

Re: Battery powered lawn mower recommendation

Post by pahkcah »

Have used an EGO self-propelled mower for one year. Purchased Model# LM2102SP
at Home Depot in the spring when it was on sale for $100 off. What I like about this mower:

1. No gas! Don’t have to buy gas, store gas, or fill tank. Just charge battery. Mower came with a 7.5 Ah battery. Also purchased an EGO trimmer that came with a 2.5 Ah battery. If the larger battery runs out of power, I just use the smaller battery to finish the lawn. Lawn is just under 1/4 of an acre.
2. Very little maintenance. No need to change oil, spark plug, clean/replace air filter, etc.
3. Easy to store. Just fold it and move it into garage on two back wheels. Takes up very little space.
4. Quiet.
5. Push button start. No more pull starts.

Had a top of the line Honda gas mower that is still working great after 25 years, which was "gifted" to our neighbors. Although I loved the Honda, battery is my choice from now on.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:54 pm
One exists (at least based on spec) that can mow 3 acres:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-42-in ... lsrc=aw.ds

Sounds like the Toro is a bit of a dog, or he doesn't have a sufficient battery pack. I mow 1/2 acre lot with a Ryobi electric. I baked the cost of 3 batteries (one came with the lawnmower) into the cost, though I can usually get it done with just two. There's a compartment for additional batteries in the mower, so swapping takes no more than 5 seconds. Total buy-in was $450. Compared to the local yard service, I make back the cost pretty quickly.
$450? I assume you mean $4500?
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

I've got a kobalt 80volt battery operated mower. It came with an extra battery. I can mow pretty much indefinitely if I swap out batteries. It was like $450 when I bought it but I see it now for $499 on the lowe's website. In any case I'm extremely happy with it and cannot imagine going back to gas unless I had some large amount of acreage. The weed wacker/string trimmer that uses the same battery also works very well and I'd recommend it.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Sounds like the Toro is a bit of a dog, or he doesn't have a sufficient battery pack. I mow 1/2 acre lot with a Ryobi electric. I baked the cost of 3 batteries (one came with the lawnmower) into the cost, though I can usually get it done with just two. There's a compartment for additional batteries in the mower, so swapping takes no more than 5 seconds. Total buy-in was $450. Compared to the local yard service, I make back the cost pretty quickly.
$450? I assume you mean $4500?
No, $450 for my non-riding electric motor. This one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-20-in ... /300402757

The $4,500 was for the ride-on that can mow 3 acres. Overkill for my 1/2 acre!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

19" Snapper 82v with 2 (2.0 amp) batteries for $350 today. At least that is the price I'm seeing.

https://www.amazon.com/Snapper-SXD19PWM ... HJ1ZQ&th=1

I priced out the 19" Snapper, an extra 6.0 amp battery and a weed trimmer (no extra battery) $627 all up.

Use one of the 2.0 amp batteries for the weed trimmer. I think a 6 + 2 battery would do my yard. Very tempted.
harvestbook

Post by harvestbook »

I am buying a Greenworks model. I got the chainsaw and I'm ecstatic. I've cut about five seasons' worth of wood with it already and it's going great. The battery lasts about as long as I want to work.

Green is just a side benefit for me. I have tinnitus and any loud machinery makes my ears ring for hours if not days. But it's sure nice not to have to mix gas, yank pull cords, breathe exhaust, carry gas cans in my car, store gas, or spray starter fluid.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:09 pm 19" Snapper 82v with 2 (2.0 amp) batteries for $350 today. At least that is the price I'm seeing.

I priced out the 19" Snapper, an extra 6.0 amp battery and a weed trimmer (no extra battery) $627 all up.

Use one of the 2.0 amp batteries for the weed trimmer. I think a 6 + 2 battery would do my yard. Very tempted.
19" instead of 21 or 22 with most normal gas mowers
No self propelled
jfave33

Post by jfave33 »

Love my Ego. Upgraded from the standard greenworks type lawnmowers and the extra power and run time from the Ego is so much nicer. The greenworks ones I used only lasted a couple of years. To be fair to greenworks they have more expensive models too but I am a big fan of Ego.

I doubt you'll find any that will chew through wet grass easily though. It is going to stick to the blades and everything. Best to wait for a dry day.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Hogan773 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 am
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:09 pm 19" Snapper 82v with 2 (2.0 amp) batteries for $350 today. At least that is the price I'm seeing.

19" instead of 21 or 22 with most normal gas mowers
No self propelled
Yes. The 21" is more $478. These mowers are lighter, so self-propelled is kind of a waste and it uses battery that you need for cutting.

19" may keep the battery going longer.
jcoll1

Post by jcoll1 »

onourway wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:09 pm
Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 pm I'm still skeptical of the cost benefit of battery lawnmowers

My sense is they are likely to be underpowered especially for wet grass, or thick grass if you don't get to mowing when you need to, or if you wanted to mulch leaves etc.

And even if they do have enough power I question the cost benefit over the long term....my $250 gas Toro has been working fine for 16 years. I would guess that in that time you would need one, or perhaps already two, new sets of batteries? I assume that is pretty expensive.
Cost benefit didn't even register as a consideration for me in switching to electric. It was all about ease of use and convenience. My electric is much quieter, I never have to refill a gas can just as I'd like to get started, the battery is shared among all of my yard equipment, and it folds up meaning it takes up about 1/4 the storage space of my old gas mower.

I have an Echo model and am completely happy - it stalls in wet grass far less frequently than my old Honda, it mulches better, so much so that I was able to mulch 100% of my extremely heavy leaf cover this fall - I didn't touch my rake once.

And electrics are getting substantially better every year.
I have to agree on the benefits of electric vs gas. Costs aside - light weight, not having to go to the gas station are compelling reasons for me to switch over.
jcoll1
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Wirecutter (kind of like consumer reports but better) says to go with the EGO.

Here's the article...

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lawnmower/
Toons

Post by Toons »

Purchased this Ryobi last season,
No regrets
I have moved most all tools over to Lithium Battery If possible,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-20-in ... /311084745

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

jcoll1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 am
Hogan773 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:57 pm I'm still skeptical of the cost benefit of battery lawnmowers

My sense is they are likely to be underpowered especially for wet grass, or thick grass if you don't get to mowing when you need to, or if you wanted to mulch leaves etc.

And even if they do have enough power I question the cost benefit over the long term....my $250 gas Toro has been working fine for 16 years. I would guess that in that time you would need one, or perhaps already two, new sets of batteries? I assume that is pretty expensive.
Cost benefit didn't even register as a consideration for me in switching to electric. It was all about ease of use and convenience. My electric is much quieter, I never have to refill a gas can just as I'd like to get started, the battery is shared among all of my yard equipment, and it folds up meaning it takes up about 1/4 the storage space of my old gas mower.

I have an Echo model and am completely happy - it stalls in wet grass far less frequently than my old Honda, it mulches better, so much so that I was able to mulch 100% of my extremely heavy leaf cover this fall - I didn't touch my rake once.

I have to agree on the benefits of electric vs gas. Costs aside - light weight, not having to go to the gas station are compelling reasons for me to switch over.
I get the Green benefits of these but this comment sounds a little stretched? You probably go to the gas station once a week already for your car(s) (unless you have only Teslas, in which case I guess you don't) and when you have a red plastic gas can then you probably go once per year to put some gas in that can for your lawnmower or snowblower. You can do it at the same time you are putting gas in your car. I know it's a hyperbole but it feels a little like me saying I really need to spend $10,000 on a nice woodfired outdoor pizza oven because then I can avoid taking that 4 minute trip over to the pizza shop to pick up pizza that I might order once per month.
TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant »

TheAccountant wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 am
onourway wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:36 am When I wanted a second battery for my lawnmower the battery alone was $200. I was able to buy a blower with the same battery and another charger for $215...

Every thread about electric equipment here has a few people claiming that they can't possibly hold a candle to their gas counterparts, that they won't be reliable etc. Yet those who actually own and use these regularly nearly universally love them and can't imagine going back to gas. Last year in an electric blower thread I posted Echo's own comparison chart in which the electric models are rated higher in every spec than their gas counterparts.
TheAccountant wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:33 pm Wet grass, 45 minutes of operating time on a good day?

Do yourself a favor and get a nice gas-powered model. Any electric mower that can actually run for almost an hour while cutting wet grass will cost 100x what a comparable gas model would. Either that or you'll need four or five fully charged batteries on hand at all times.

Notice the run time on that Amazon mower - UP TO. That's literally 45 minutes of the thing just idling on a concrete walkway.

That's also with the battery in 100% tip-top condition, which unless you keep it at 50% at all times, will degrade over time.

Every single device I've purchased with a litium ion battery has experienced battery degradation over time. So either I'm constantly buying crappy products with crappy batteries, or this is just the nature of the electrical beast.

PS my Craftsman push mower is from the 1980's and still runs fine.
You don't actually own an electric mower, do you? My Echo on a relatively small 4aH battery goes 45 minutes in good conditions and about 20 if the lawn is heavily overgrown and wet. Two batteries still cuts my entire yard with no delay. 100x the cost of a gas model and need for 4-5 batteries? Get real. Batteries charge from 0-50% or so in about 20 minutes. I willingly gave up my high-end Honda and would never go back.

It's worth noting that Echo provides a 5 year consumer and 2 year commercial warranty for this mower (even Honda's commercial line of walk behind mowers has only a 1 year warranty on everything but the engine which is 2).
I don't own an electric mower. My neighbor has the electric Toro, the lot is .25 acres, maybe a bit more.

In the spring when the lawn is frequently wet/thick, this thing struggles. I always see him with half of the lawn mowed, and the mower parked in the driveway. I'm assuming he is charging the battery.

Now me personally, I could never own an e-mower because my lawn is too big. I need a rider. I spent $ 75 on mine - I bought it used with a blown transmission. I put an e-bay hydro trans in it and am in for a grand total of $ 225. It's a 2011 model V-twin 24 hp with a 50" deck.

So if you can find me an electric tractor with a 50" deck that can mow 2 or 3 acres at a time without recharging, then I'll take a look. Otherwise I am sticking with I/C.

I'll see if I can find a way to test that one. Now I'm intrigued.

Specs look good. I wish it came with a larger deck but being a zero turn means it'll mow quicker than a traditional tractor. The price is right, too.
jcoll1

Post by jcoll1 »

Hogan773 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 pm
jcoll1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 am

I get the Green benefits of these but this comment sounds a little stretched? You probably go to the gas station once a week already for your car(s) (unless you have only Teslas, in which case I guess you don't) and when you have a red plastic gas can then you probably go once per year to put some gas in that can for your lawnmower or snowblower. You can do it at the same time you are putting gas in your car. I know it's a hyperbole but it feels a little like me saying I really need to spend $10,000 on a nice woodfired outdoor pizza oven because then I can avoid taking that 4 minute trip over to the pizza shop to pick up pizza that I might order once per month.
A bit of an overstretch there. The assumption is I would plan when I get gas for my car as to when I get gas for my other equipment. I personally find i need gas for my car when I'm nowhere near my gas cans. Between the cans I have for home use and hobby use I have accumulated a dozen or more cans. Filling equipment with those "environmentally friendly" cans is no picnic either. The cost of the equipment will come into play but if I can buy equipment needed under the same manufacturer so I can use the same batteries and charging equipment then I think I'll be better off.
jcoll1
onourway

Post by onourway »

TheAccountant wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:14 pm
I'll see if I can find a way to test that one. Now I'm intrigued.

Specs look good. I wish it came with a larger deck but being a zero turn means it'll mow quicker than a traditional tractor. The price is right, too.
Interestingly yesterday when I looked at that link the same mower with the 75Ah battery was on special for $3300 - over $1000 off for 25% smaller battery. Today the price is back up to $4k but might be worth keeping an eye out.
catdude

Post by catdude »

Is it possible to buy an EGO mower *without* batteries? I currently have an EGO snowblower with two hefty batteries... I'd like to use those batteries in a mower. Maybe save myself some $$$, in true Boglehead fashion. Possible/advisable?
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

catdude wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 pm Is it possible to buy an EGO mower *without* batteries? I currently have an EGO snowblower with two hefty batteries... I'd like to use those batteries in a mower. Maybe save myself some $$$, in true Boglehead fashion. Possible/advisable?
Home Depot sells the "tool only" in some models (maybe all models). I believe I saw an ad recently saying that ACE now carries EGO.

How do you like the snowblower?
jkrm

Post by jkrm »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:39 am
catdude wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 pm Is it possible to buy an EGO mower *without* batteries? I currently have an EGO snowblower with two hefty batteries... I'd like to use those batteries in a mower. Maybe save myself some $$$, in true Boglehead fashion. Possible/advisable?
Home Depot sells the "tool only" in some models (maybe all models). I believe I saw an ad recently saying that ACE now carries EGO.

How do you like the snowblower?
Yes, I have seen EGO mowers at our local Ace Hardware. They also carry Stihl. I've been looking at purchasing an EGO this year, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Amazon sells "tool only" for many of the electric mowers.

This is the 56v

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-LM2000 ... 589&sr=8-1
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

pahkcah wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:17 pm Have used an EGO self-propelled mower for one year. Purchased Model# LM2102SP
at Home Depot in the spring when it was on sale for $100 off. What I like about this mower:

1. No gas! Don’t have to buy gas, store gas, or fill tank. Just charge battery. Mower came with a 7.5 Ah battery. Also purchased an EGO trimmer that came with a 2.5 Ah battery. If the larger battery runs out of power, I just use the smaller battery to finish the lawn. Lawn is just under 1/4 of an acre.
2. Very little maintenance. No need to change oil, spark plug, clean/replace air filter, etc.
3. Easy to store. Just fold it and move it into garage on two back wheels. Takes up very little space.
4. Quiet.

Had a top of the line Honda gas mower that is still working great after 25 years, which was "gifted" to our neighbors. Although I loved the Honda, battery is my choice from now on.
Agree with the above points. I use to cut grass for many years when I was younger as a summer job and once I was in the market for a new mower I wanted nothing to do with a gas mower. I work an hour drive from home and don't want to have a gas can inside my car (hatchback) all day while in the office. Don't want to go out to cut the grass just to see that I need to run to the gas station get more gas. Live in the midwest where the lawn mower won't get used for 5-6 months straight which really gums up the inside if you don't winterize it. Fairly loud to use a gas mower early in the morning before the rest of the family gets up.

I have a GreenWorks 40V battery mower, have used it 2 seasons so far with zero issues. It can cut both mine and my neighbor's yard (we live in the city so small lots, ~30 mins mow time for both yards) twice before I need to recharge the battery most of the year. Spring when the grass grows quickly I charge it between every mowing. The GreenWorks mower is an upgrade from my first battery mower, a 17" Worx mower. That one worked ok but it was so small that it looked like a toy.
catdude

Post by catdude »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:39 am How do you like the snowblower?
Love it. We had a white Thanksgiving last fall... 6 - 8 inches of snow... and the snowblower worked very well. SO MUCH better than shoveling the stuff!
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

pahkcah wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:17 pm Have used an EGO self-propelled mower for one year. Purchased Model# LM2102SP

4. Quiet.

I do not see any warranty info for Ego mowers at ace or lowes. But most Ryobi mowers carry 5-year tool warranty, 3-year battery warranty.
vg55

Post by vg55 »

I've got an EGO lawn mower and EGO string trimmer. Both work great and use the same batteries. I went electric @15 years ago and used a very long power cord. So happy those days are over. The cord was a nuisance and I cut it too many times.

The EGO cuts very well, is quiet, and easy to maneuver. The solar on the house goes right into the battery. No gas, no oil, no fumes, little noise. Sometimes, I still wear the hearing protection just so that I can have a silent moment around the house.
Rotarman

Post by Rotarman »

I have the Makita 18 in walk behind. It was $399 and comes with 4 batteries (2 go in the machine at a time). It works spectacularly for us. My wife has no trouble starting it, I never have to change the oil or clean the carb. I can do our 1/4 acre yard on 1 set of batteries. My wife mows more slowly and usually has to change batteries near the end, but it's a 30 second endeavor. The mower is also much quieter and I feel comfortable cutting the lawn later in the evening (when the temp is cooler) than I did with my gas mower. Coming with 4 batteries is great if you are handy in any way, Makita has one of - if not the - largest selection of battery powered tools. So now I can buy any Makita product as a bare tool and use my mower batteries in it.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

vg55 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:40 am I've got an EGO lawn mower and EGO string trimmer. Both work great and use the same batteries. I went electric @15 years ago and used a very long power cord. So happy those days are over. The cord was a nuisance and I cut it too many times.

The EGO cuts very well, is quiet, and easy to maneuver. The solar on the house goes right into the battery. No gas, no oil, no fumes, little noise. Sometimes, I still wear the hearing protection just so that I can have a silent moment around the house.
Any info on ego warranty?
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Rotarman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:37 am I have the Makita 18 in walk behind. It was $399 and comes with 4 batteries (2 go in the machine at a time). It works spectacularly for us. My wife has no trouble starting it, I never have to change the oil or clean the carb. I can do our 1/4 acre yard on 1 set of batteries. My wife mows more slowly and usually has to change batteries near the end, but it's a 30 second endeavor. The mower is also much quieter and I feel comfortable cutting the lawn later in the evening (when the temp is cooler) than I did with my gas mower. Coming with 4 batteries is great if you are handy in any way, Makita has one of - if not the - largest selection of battery powered tools. So now I can buy any Makita product as a bare tool and use my mower batteries in it.
Cost $700 at Homedepot.
JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

mtmingus wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:11 am
Rotarman wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:37 am I have the Makita 18 in walk behind. It was $399 and comes with 4 batteries (2 go in the machine at a time). It works spectacularly for us. My wife has no trouble starting it, I never have to change the oil or clean the carb. I can do our 1/4 acre yard on 1 set of batteries. My wife mows more slowly and usually has to change batteries near the end, but it's a 30 second endeavor. The mower is also much quieter and I feel comfortable cutting the lawn later in the evening (when the temp is cooler) than I did with my gas mower. Coming with 4 batteries is great if you are handy in any way, Makita has one of - if not the - largest selection of battery powered tools. So now I can buy any Makita product as a bare tool and use my mower batteries in it.
Cost $700 at Homedepot.
The 18" is $399. Smaller machine. Smaller batteries

The 21" is $699
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I picked up a lightly Ryobi 40v mower off Craigslist for about $80. Works like a champ and I can use the battery in my trimmer. I don’t miss fooling with gasoline or the extra noise.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I’ve been happy with my kobalt:

Pros: quiet, easy, light, not messing with gas/oil, much better in thick grass than I expected

Cons: my two batteries do great when it’s milder outside, but it gets very hot where I live in middle of summer. The heat seems to shorten the mowing time of battery AND the big thing is it takes a while for the emptied battery to cool down enough for the charger to work…so during peak heat my second battery dies while still trying to get first to cool down enough to charge or finish charging. Interestingly, in the spring those same batteries bounce right back and last longer when it’s not as hot.

I have a stihl electric blower, weedeater and chainsaw and they all do very well.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

It has been said before. Buying a battery-powered device is buying into a battery ecosystem. So, consider what other battery tools you might want to acquire and see if the same batteries can be used in them. Our next mower will likely be a Stihl. This is mainly because the batteries are interchangeable between the mower and the pruning saw and limbing saw I have. The Stihl battery saws have been excellent.

We currently have a Worx mower. The batteries are reasonable but the mower itself has been troublesome. We have had two. The first one failed due to a broken handle and the driver board failed after about two years. The push handle metal was too thin and just split open/broke off. I fixed that by brazing it. Several months later, the motor driver died and no spare parts were available. Because we now had four batteries it was cheaper to get a new Worx mower. In the meantime, they had redesigned the push handle. However, that one broke too. I splinted it and it continues to mow. (BTW we aren't abusing our mowers at all. These are design issues.)
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

vg55 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:40 am I've got an EGO lawn mower and EGO string trimmer. Both work great and use the same batteries. I went electric @15 years ago and used a very long power cord. So happy those days are over. The cord was a nuisance and I cut it too many times.

I'm using EGO tools as well, very pleased. However, I wanted to comment on the second part of the post... hearing protection. Regardless of your choice of tool, definitely protect your hearing (and eyes)!

If you find isolation muffs as annoying as I do, I'd recommend shooting muffs. They have mics attached to both earpieces that pass sound into the earcup, and if the decibel level reaches a certain threshold the sound is cut off. So you get the full use of your hearing until the protection needs to happen, and it's quite nice because you can actually turn the outside sounds up or down. So if you want to hear a pin drop from 100 feet away, you can do that... or if you want all the racket outside to sound like a whisper, you can do that too.

I replaced the stock ear-pads with a gel-type pad that provides an even more comfortable and better seal around safety glasses. They even make nice cases for the pair!
Last edited by kevinf on Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons »

Stihl RMA510. Don't be fooled by the 36V, it comes standard with a 6.0ah battery, or you can upgrade that to a 7.2ah battery. It's POWERFUL. It can clump like any other mower if you get ridiculous, but it can't be stopped when mowing. I accidentally hit a 1" thick branch that I didn't see the other night and it splintered the heck out of it before I could stop it, never missed a beat. I've probably had mine for 4 years now, still runs great. It also comes in a self propelled variety (RMA510V) but I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money for that, it's lightweight enough and rolls easy enough that you really don't need it.

Plus you can get a whole slug of tools to share batteries with. It costs more on the front side, but given their longevity (I'm still using batteries I bought back in '13-14 on a regular basis) they're well worth it.
aardvark62

Post by aardvark62 »

I agree with Ramjet about warranty returns being high for battery-powered mowers. I bought a Ryobi 40V mower earlier this summer. The control board died within the first month of light use. I’m not sure many people realize how many interlocks are on the battery-powered mowers, and how finicky it can be to get them to start - search YouTube for examples.

After that ordeal, I ordered a new $25 carb to replace the gummed-up one on my 32 year-old gas push mower. It mows like a champ once more.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Thanks guys. After having reviewed your feedback, I decided to pick a traditional gas-powered Honda.
rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser »

mtmingus wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:30 am Thanks guys. After having reviewed your feedback, I decided to pick a traditional gas-powered Honda.
On the Honda go with the HRX217K6HYA if you can afford it. The hydrostat speed control is way better than the slipping belt design.

At 3:50 in the video he explains the difference in the drive.
https://versus.com/en/honda-hrx217-hya- ... hrx217-vka
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

mtmingus wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:30 am Thanks guys. After having reviewed your feedback, I decided to pick a traditional gas-powered Honda.
Uncle has a Honda mower he loves and they generally make great products - great choice.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

mtmingus wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:49 pm

4. Quiet.

I do not see any warranty info for Ego mowers at ace or lowes. But most Ryobi mowers carry 5-year tool warranty, 3-year battery warranty.
Below is the EGO warranty policy. Looks the same as Ryobi: 5-year tool and 3-year battery.

WARRANTY POLICY
5-year limited warranty on EGO POWER+ outdoor power equipment and portable power for personal, household use.
3-year limited warranty on EGO POWER+ System battery packs and chargers for personal, household use.
2-year extended warranty applies for the 10.0Ah battery whether sold separately (model: BA5600T) or included with any tool, if it is registered within 90 days of purchase (survey required).
5-year limited warranty on CHV1600 charger, designed for use with Zero Turn Riding Mower for personal, household use.
2 year/1 year limited warranty on EGO outdoor power equipment, portable power, battery packs, and chargers for professional and commercial use.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

brajalle wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:28 pm
Uncle has a Honda mower he loves and they generally make great products - great choice.
It it is not too late, I'll throw in another vote for an Ego. Terrific mower. Would NEVER go back to gas anything.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

We have a small yard (1/8ac) and have no trouble mowing it with a Ryobi 40V be brushless electric (push, not self propelled) on half a battery or less. The Ryobi automatically detects if it's working hard and applies extra power.

There is no gas (my shed doesn't smell like gasoline), no oil changes, no spark plugs to clean, and starting it is a push of a button.

I've also used the eGo - it's a step up (very nice system) but not worth the cost delta for our small yard.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

We have a small yard (1/8ac) and have no trouble mowing it with a Ryobi 40V be brushless electric (push, not self propelled) on half a battery or less. The Ryobi automatically detects if it's working hard and applies extra power.

There is no gas (my shed doesn't smell like gasoline), no oil changes, no spark plugs to clean, and starting it is a push of a button.

I've also used the eGo - it's a step up (very nice system) but not worth the cost delta for our small yard.
Tucker50

Post by Tucker50 »

Another ego user. More often than not females cut my yard and not having to pull a gas starter (whoever thought of that thing or didn't improve) is life changing. We bought into the whole system and have weed wacker, trimmer, and assorted sized batteries
Last edited by Tucker50 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paradise

Post by Paradise »

Also recommend Ego. If you have a large yard, the self propelling one is worth the extra price IMO. Just makes your life a lot easier on a hot day.
50% VTI | 20% VXUS | 20% BND | 10% QQQ
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Paradise wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:03 am Also recommend Ego. If you have a large yard, the self propelling one is worth the extra price IMO. Just makes your life a lot easier on a hot day.
I bought a non self-propelled in hopes of getting forced exercise. Every so often I regret it….