Bathroom remodel -10K- Is it expensive?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
omega

Bathroom remodel -10K- Is it expensive?

Post by omega »

Hello all:

Need your inputs on this one.

Had fiberglass shower base in our master bedroom bathroom. Saw a crack and decided to replace with nice looking tiles (cost was $1200). Long story short, it started leaking after a month. Couldn't figure out the cause of leak and the contractor who did the work won't return my call. Now, I went to Home depot and they recommended Rebath for redoing the work. The rebath sales person came and he recommended to do the whole shower including replacing the door and wall tiles (which are in good shape; they just won't do the base alone). He is quoting 10K for the work. Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!
Saving$

Re: Bathroom remodel -10K- Is it expensive?

Post by Saving$ »

Is it worth it to fix it? Absolutely. Water issues just cause more issues.

Is the scope of work you describe worth 10K? Absolutely NOT!

Unfortunately at least the floor tile portion of what was already done is probably sunk costs. Ask your friends and neighbors and a high quality tile store for recommendations on a good tile sub. The scope you want is to remove the existing floor and wall tile up to about 2' above the floor, and have them install either a Schluter waterproof system or a Redguard system. Then BEFORE they are allowed to tile anything, require a 48 hour water test. This is where they plug up the drain, dam up the entrance if it does not have a curb, and pour water into the shower floor until the entire thing is covered and the water comes up the sides about 1/2". You mark the side at the top of the water line, and let it set for 24-48 hours. There will be some natural evaporation so don't get too concerned if the water level goes down SLIGHTLY. However, this will tell you if you there is a leak at this point. If no leak they can continue. Obviously if they are not careful they can compromise the Redguard or Schluter system while they are setting the tile, but this is less likely.

Another option, if your shower is a totally standard size, is to redo the entire thing but with a solid shower floor. There reason you have to redo the entire thing for a solid floor is the solid shower floor extends to the backside of the tiles, and since most showers have 4 sides, you can't get the floor in unless there are no wall tiles. Even these need a professional because they can leak at the drain and at the transition between the floor and wall.
macheta

Post by macheta »

I did a full remodel in the bathroom myself. The total cost was 5K. This included cabinets, tile on the wall, and floor. This included the bathtub conversion to a shower.

If they are doing something like this the price probably includes about 83 hours of labor which is probably ok.

You are being over charged for just fixing a leak. I would find a repairman that can fix your pipes for less than 1k.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

When tile is installed with a proper waterproof drain pan it will not leak. The first "contractor" is responsible for doing a poor job.

It's worth spending enough money to get a shower that doesn't leak. 10K sounds kind of high to me although I can easily see half that. A proper job would involve removing everything there and installing cement board all around before tiling.

> You are being over charged for just fixing a leak.

If the leak is the shower pan there is no alternative to doing it over.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

omega wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:10 pm Hello all:

Had fiberglass shower base in our master bedroom bathroom. Saw a crack and decided to replace with nice looking tiles (cost was $1200). Long story short, it started leaking after a month. Couldn't figure out the cause of leak and the contractor who did the work won't return my call. Now, I went to Home depot and they recommended Rebath for redoing the work. The rebath sales person came and he recommended to do the whole shower including replacing the door and wall tiles (which are in good shape; they just won't do the base alone). He is quoting 10K for the work. Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!
I had someone replace my combination shower and bathtub for about $4700, but might not be comparable to what you want done. The old fiberglass tub was cracked, but thankfully never leaked though. The technician replaced it with a new porcelain tub, new fixtures, sliding glass doors, and a surround made of subway tile.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 pm When tile is installed with a proper waterproof drain pan it will not leak. The first "contractor" is responsible for doing a poor job.

It's worth spending enough money to get a shower that doesn't leak. 10K sounds kind of high to me although I can easily see half that. A proper job would involve removing everything there and installing cement board all around before tiling.

> You are being over charged for just fixing a leak.

If the leak is the shower pan there is no alternative to doing it over.
It's Rebath - they just cover everything up with plastic as far as I know. Supposedly they finish completely in one day. I had no idea it cost $10k.
PDX_Traveler

Post by PDX_Traveler »

Saving$ wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:21 pm Is it worth it to fix it? Absolutely. Water issues just cause more issues.

Unfortunately at least the floor tile portion of what was already done is probably sunk costs. Ask your friends and neighbors and a high quality tile store for recommendations on a good tile sub. The scope you want is to remove the existing floor and wall tile up to about 2' above the floor, and have them install either a Schluter waterproof system or a Redguard system. Then BEFORE they are allowed to tile anything, require a 48 hour water test. This is where they plug up the drain, dam up the entrance if it does not have a curb, and pour water into the shower floor until the entire thing is covered and the water comes up the sides about 1/2". You mark the side at the top of the water line, and let it set for 24-48 hours. There will be some natural evaporation so don't get too concerned if the water level goes down SLIGHTLY. However, this will tell you if you there is a leak at this point. If no leak they can continue. Obviously if they are not careful they can compromise the Redguard or Schluter system while they are setting the tile, but this is less likely.
FWIW, we are having exactly this done (above). Cost, including glass two side walls and new shower + controls etc. is coming to $7K . Having seen all that went into assuring the leakproofing, I think it's worth getting it done well - considering the problems that can arise otherwise.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

omega wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:10 pm went to Home Depot and they recommended Rebath for redoing the work.
Mistake.
Stop right there.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I called a similar place once for a quote. I want to redo the bathroom but thought something like a rebath would get me thru for a few years (issues are purely aesthetic on the tub/shower, no leaks). They told me in the neighborhood of $8000. My jaw hit the floor. No way. Get it fixed right.
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

Thanks for reading!
Sue the original contractor and maybe he'll return your call. If not, get a judgment and take his van and tools.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

PDX_Traveler wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:39 pm
Saving$ wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:21 pm Is it worth it to fix it? Absolutely. Water issues just cause more issues.

FWIW, we are having exactly this done (above). Cost, including glass two side walls and new shower + controls etc. is coming to $7K . Having seen all that went into assuring the leakproofing, I think it's worth getting it done well - considering the problems that can arise otherwise.
Another + 1. When I had my bathroom shower constructed that is exactly the method the contractor used and what the town inspector wanted to see. The town inspector was so impressed with the job, he asked who did this? I told him my cousin, :wink: , it was a family friend. It did not cost $7K to put down the vinyl coating. I think the entire bathroom cost about $5K-$7K and I provided the tiles, vanity and fixtures, the plumber bought the toilet, shower diverter and handled the piping.

Here is an example of the vinyl coating my contractor put down in the shower pan https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-5-ft- ... /202078083 It costs $35 a roll. I saw my contractor put it down, took him about an hour and a half including gluing the seams of the vinyl with some special glue made for this type of application. The next day he came back and did exactly what was described above, he filled it up with water and said wait 48 hours, then call the town inspector to come see it. Inspector gave the Pass certificate and we moved onto the next step of putting down the mortar over it.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:46 pm
omega wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:10 pm went to Home Depot and they recommended Rebath for redoing the work.
Mistake.
Stop right there.
Yup, they will recommend the fastest and most profitable way for "them".
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

It was 5-7 years ago, but bathroom remodel-

- replaced fiberglass shower with tile, one shower wall was built. High quality glass door. Entire bathroom was tiled. Vanity was replaced with custom built vanity with shelving in middle and granite around sinks. Tub and toilet replaced. Entire bathroom walls and ceiling resurfaced and repainted.

Total $14,000. Done by contractor recommended by friend.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Tile isn’t waterproof. It’s the stuff under the tile that’s waterproof. If it isn’t waterproof, your best bet is to pull everything out and start over.

$1200 sounds really, really low for doing it properly. I’m guessing your contractor either didn’t know what he was doing, or did know what he was doing, but cut some corners.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I've done bathroom remodels myself as well as hire contractors. For showers and tubs, in all cases, I go down to the studs. You'd be surprised how much rot can get to the studs in houses 25 years old plus because there is no vapor barrier or the vapor barrier wasn't done correctly. A full fiberglass surround somewhat mitigates this though I would think,it would depend where the crack was and the severity of it.

So yeah, 10-15K for that sounds about right for a full reconstruction, just for the shower, that's easily a 5-7 day job, depending on the implementation. But this just sounds like re-skinning what you have, sounds way overpriced to me, ask how long it takes to do. If it's a day, overpriced for sure, IMHO.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:46 pm
Mistake.
Stop right there.
+1. I would not use Lowes or HD for a job like this. Their subs are not the best. Get quotes from a couple of reputable contractors to do the job. To each his own, but I would much prefer a tiled show and floor versus one of these one piece systems. It is a better product and will last a lot longer.
jminv

Post by jminv »

You need proper waterproofing around the shower. In this case, it sounds like your contractor didn’t do that at the base of your shower since that’s what he worked on. Tile is not waterproof by itself. You need a rubber pan or one of the other base options out there plus something like red guard. When you’re doing the rest of the shower using red guard is a step a lot of contractors don’t do to save time. Most people don’t even think about it and think tile is waterproof so lot of contractors try to do the minimum possible since it’s all hidden at the end of the job.

10k is too much. I got a quote for my mother’s shower through Home Depot just to see how much I’d save using my own person. I bought all the materials myself but had a contractor do the work. Home Depot’s contractor’s quote was 4 times more expensive. I think in general they’re at least 3 times more expensive than alternatives.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

I would avoid Re-Bath and other quick fix companies. I did my own master bath remodel 2yrs ago. Got quotes around 65K. Wound up doing it myself for 22K which included a new soaker tub, large shower and upgraded cabinets and fixtures. Don't cover up the problems. Take it back down to subfloor and studs. Waterproof correctly. You don't want to pay to have 10K worth of work put in a dumpster in a few years.
neoptolemus412

Post by neoptolemus412 »

Moved into our home and started to use the master bath shower. After a month, We noticed water forming on the living room ceiling. Short story, the prior homeowner improperly installed the shower floor and simply stopped using/patched & painted damage to sell the house.

Received quotes to redo the entire bathroom and it was $20k on Long Island for a simple gut/replace of an 8’x10’ bathroom. Got a 1/2 dozen quotes. For the price point, No one could provide us the type of shower we wanted (European style), so we decided to just redo the tile floor.

Found a contractor on thumbtack. He was able to replace the shower floor and cost $3,000 all in for the shower and painting the ceiling below. For us, it wasn’t worth a full renovation as we don’t believe we’ll be in the home long enough to justify a $20,000 renovation to a master bath.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

It is unusual for tile to leak enough that you notice it, especially a new install. I would suspect a plumbing leak first. Where the shower connects behind the wall is a common one. You can test this by putting up painters plastic to cover the tile work and shower for a couple days/weeks to see if it leaks. If it does, it is not the tile.

Those bath fitter type businesses are fine for dressing up a shower quickly with zero mess. You are paying for convenience. If there is a plumbing leak I am not sure whether they are able to address that.
Wyatt007

Post by Wyatt007 »

We just had to tear out the walk in tile shower in our master bath down to the studs due to leaking and completely redo it using the Schluter system. Total cost was around 13k (including new shower door) and it took about 2 weeks.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I fear hiring out and having it done improperly leading to an issue like this.
Last edited by F150HD on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

To the OP: do you live in a HCOL area? Do you have a million dollar house? Are you in a State with little building regulations/codes and where basically anyone can be a plumber if their business card sez they are a plumber?

Regardless, I'd get a second opinion/quote on getting your leak fixed. 10K seems kind of high even for a million dollar house with a specialty kinda shower...
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

First, if a company sends a sales person, 9 out of 10 times you can do the job much cheaper if you shop around.

I would obtain 2-3 other quotes first from reputable local contractors
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Kagord wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:50 am I've done bathroom remodels myself as well as hire contractors. For showers and tubs, in all cases, I go down to the studs. You'd be surprised how much rot can get to the studs in houses 25 years old plus because there is no vapor barrier or the vapor barrier wasn't done correctly. A full fiberglass surround somewhat mitigates this though I would think,it would depend where the crack was and the severity of it.

So yeah, 10-15K for that sounds about right for a full reconstruction, just for the shower, that's easily a 5-7 day job, depending on the implementation. But this just sounds like re-skinning what you have, sounds way overpriced to me, ask how long it takes to do. If it's a day, overpriced for sure, IMHO.
^This.
Take it all the way down, float the walls, do moisture barrier, tile and a new pan, new plumbing, new enclosure.

Check with people in your neighborhood, hire a licensed contractor, hold 10-20% back until final completion.

IIRC, Rebath uses that plastic enclosure crap that is fine...until it cracks, and they always crack.
Then you have a leak.
On a slab, maybe not a big deal, but on a stub foundation or second story it can lead to rotting floor joists, et al.

Cheap, fast, good. Pick any two.
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

We are doing a complete gut of the only full bath in our little forever retirement lake house.
Down to studs, tub to shower conversion, porcelain mosaic on the floor, all new vanity, quartz top, bench in shower, good quality fixtures, frameless shower doors.

Very reputable (not cheap) contractor we've used before.
HCOL northeast home.
Not worried about the finished product at all.
Total = 23k.

10k for partial seems high.
Compound

Post by Compound »

Housedoc wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 am I would avoid Re-Bath and other quick fix companies. I did my own master bath remodel 2yrs ago. Got quotes around 65K. Wound up doing it myself for 22K which included a new soaker tub, large shower and upgraded cabinets and fixtures. Don't cover up the problems. Take it back down to subfloor and studs. Waterproof correctly. You don't want to pay to have 10K worth of work put in a dumpster in a few years.
$65k :shock:

Do you have prior remodeling experience yourself? How long did the project take you to complete?
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

OP - other posters have brought up good points. Before you do anything figure what is leaking.

Stop using this bath for a week or so

1. Get a hose or bucket, and run water ONLY down the drain
- wait and see if that leaks
2. Get a hose or bucket and run water down the drain and withing about 3" around drain only
3. Remove drain cover and plug up drain (you can buy a plug you inflate at the orange box store). Fill shower with water to cover entire floor of shower and about 1/2" up.
4. Get a bucket. Turn on shower and let water ONLY go in bucket.

Once you know what leaks you will have a better idea of what to do.

And the other post about the vinyl/PVC pan - those are ok, but old technology. The Redguard system or Schluter system are far superior, and the right system to use in 2020.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:10 pm

And the other post about the vinyl/PVC pan - those are ok, but old technology. The Redguard system or Schluter system are far superior, and the right system to use in 2020.
When did these two systems above come out as the new standard in bath/shower pan construction? Just curious.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:12 am

When did these two systems above come out as the new standard in bath/shower pan construction? Just curious.
Redguard....hop up to about 9 minute mark....then watch the rest.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

My dad had Rebath go in and do their shower. It was $10K and they did it in a 1 1/2 days. It looks sorta blah. Plain plastic...but it's definitely waterproof.

I own several rental houses and have flipped a house or two. I'm actually been put on alert from my wife that I can't do any more rental house work until we renovate our kid's bathroom.

I took it down to the studs and rerouted plumbing. Removed an old 1990s fiberglass tub/shower and made a walk in shower.

I used Schulter water proofing shower system....and just the materials was about $900 for the water proofing solution.

My bath is about 12' x 12' and I ended up having to add some structural support to some overspanned floor joists. (3 new LVLs) and did some minor new framing for a water closet.

All in all, I think we will be at $7K of materials when the final bathroom is done.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Anytime you are doing work on a home you need to talk to several contractors and get an idea of the costs. Asking online isn't too helpful since it varies so much based on location and materials. Is it a low end home? High end? Do you want a one piece or ceramic tile?

Generally when I have things done, I pick out the materials and buy them myself. If it is something larger/heavier then I pick it out and pay for it but the contractor picks up the item(s). I've also used free home delivery on items (actually got toilets delivered free to my home during one remodel).

Then you pay the contractor for his time to install, paint, etc. And a minor bonus is that you can rack up some points/miles/cash back on cards since most contractors don't take them but the stores will.

Unless the home is lower end, I'd recommend ceramic tiles for the floor and walls of a bathroom. They last a long time and come in a huge variety of colors, shapes and prices. My current house in AZ came with stone for the shower area and I find that difficult to clean compared to ceramic tile. I don't mind stone for flooring but not in bathrooms.

Good luck.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:08 am Tile isn’t waterproof. It’s the stuff under the tile that’s waterproof. If it isn’t waterproof, your best bet is to pull everything out and start over.

$1200 sounds really, really low for doing it properly. I’m guessing your contractor either didn’t know what he was doing, or did know what he was doing, but cut some corners.
Yep, no reputable contractor is doing a tile shower for $1200. You could maybe get into that range with a fiberglass pan and only cheap tile on the walls.

Just decent quality tile and a lower to mid grade sliding door will cost nearly $1k for a standard shower.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

My contractor just told me today to plan on at least $2,000 for the glass doors on a 60" wide shower.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

For reference, we just gutted and remodeled two small, full bathrooms (4x8 and 5x7) for $8k per bathroom (labor + materials).
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Take a look at the Onyx Collection.
We had our bathroom shower and walls done in this. All one piece pan, solid. Only seams are wall corners. Surrounds are also one piece. Where walls meet are quarter rounds made from the same stuff. Substantial thickness and mass with all pieces. Not flimsy walls or pan. There is no place for leaks.
It would be worth your while to Google it. We got it through Lowe’s.
Looks nice too. Different colors and textures available.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

$10k for a fiberglass shower? My gawd. Thats insanity. $10k for an entire bathroom is more like it. That includes electrical, plumbing, drywall, tub/shower, paint, vanity, toilet, fixtures, floor tile...(not in any particular order.)
rj342

Post by rj342 »

Not sure if I am getting Rebath and Bath Fitter confused here, but I would not go for any of the jobs that simply cover your tub or shower with a liner. The risk of mold behind/underneath is too great.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

LilyFleur wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 pm My contractor just told me today to plan on at least $2,000 for the glass doors on a 60" wide shower.
Yep. We’re having a bathroom done right now. It’s a separate shower and tub. Nothing extravagant, but not cheap fiberglass, either. Tile shower with a frameless glass surround. The tile for the shower alone is $600 (floor and 2 walls), and we’re using the cheapest white subway tiles on the walls. Just the tile itself, not the shower pan, cement board, waterproofing, grout, or labor.

I can’t imagine what kind of tiled shower you could get for $1200.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

omega wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:10 pmLong story short, it started leaking after a month. Couldn't figure out the cause of leak and the contractor who did the work won't return my call. Now, I went to Home depot and they recommended Rebath for redoing the work. The rebath sales person came and he recommended to do the whole shower including replacing the door and wall tiles (which are in good shape; they just won't do the base alone). He is quoting 10K for the work. Is it worth it?
What's leaking? Where?

NO, it's not worth it. Just fix what's broken, but fix it right.

You can probably redo an entire bathroom for $10k or less!

https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/bathro ... -bathroom/
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Compound wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:05 pm
Housedoc wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 am I would avoid Re-Bath and other quick fix companies. I did my own master bath remodel 2yrs ago. Got quotes around 65K. Wound up doing it myself for 22K which included a new soaker tub, large shower and upgraded cabinets and fixtures. Don't cover up the problems. Take it back down to subfloor and studs. Waterproof correctly. You don't want to pay to have 10K worth of work put in a dumpster in a few years.
$65k :shock:

Do you have prior remodeling experience yourself? How long did the project take you to complete?
I have been doing home improvements for over 40 years. Project took about 3 months counting waiting on materials, etc. We had other bathrooms to use so no inconvenience. I did not work on the project 8 hours a day. Probably 4-5 hrs a day. I am retired ya know! Can't find a way to post pictures of my work. Regarding comment about glass cost, I used a 62" wide, 76" high glass wall with a door, Starbright clear 3/8 tempered glass. Including handles and hinges cost was $1500.00
nguy44

Post by nguy44 »

Thanks for reading!
Do you have any type of contractual warranty from the first contractor?

In terms of the remodel cost, I agree with many folks here, that is way too high.

A good friend of ours is a home renovation/remodeling contractor. We saw examples of work over close to 20 years and he had rave reviews. We talked to him about redoing two of our 40 year old bathrooms which I was tired of doing patchwork repairs to. The first thing he did was "warn" us that he did not cut corners, and that he would not be our cheapest option, if that was what we were looking for. We trusted him and went with him. The renovation for two full bathrooms - complete gutting down to studs, new drywall, new tile, granite counter tops, cabinets, toilets bathtub/shower, fixtures, electrical, new plumbing down to the basement (these were on the 2nd floor of the house), etc - came to $21K. We saved a little as we chose to do the painting ourselves (I can deal with that level of repair :happy ).

It took some time - one bathroom the "elapsed" time was a little over a month, the other (and larger) one was close to 3 months). He is in demand but we always new in advance what the schedule would be. It was worth it. This was almost 5 years ago - zero issues since then, and everything still looks like new.

For what you described, $10K is an awful lot for a limited fix. IF you are going to spend that money I'd look for redoing the entire bathroom from a better contractor.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

F150HD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:16 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:12 am

Redguard....hop up to about 9 minute mark....then watch the rest.
As with any material, it won't work if not properly applied. Needs a primer coat, and then roll on the coats - this guy troweled/brushed on the coats and in the curing process is curled because the coats were so thick the upper surface cured at such a different rate from the lower surface that it caused cracking. Concrete will do this also if not correctly done - does not mean concrete is not a good product.
Topic Author
omega

Post by omega »

Thanks everyone for your time and comments. Here is an update.

We reached out to 15+ contractors recommended by local facebook groups/friends. Most didn't want to do it, as it was a small job in their opinion. One reputed contractor quoted for 4500. Two others (individuals, not big contractors) quoted 1300 plus materials cost.

We went with person who quoted 1300 and bought 300 USD worth of materials. He guaranteed his work and also he lives near by our house. It took him a week to finish the work. He completely removed previous tiles, underlying concrete, side tiles etc. He rebuilt everything and hauled all of the wastes. He also gave me a written contract. Long story short: we have been using the shower for past 3 days. No leak so far (touch wood!). We are going to monitor for few more weeks before putting the tiles next to the shower. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

P.S: According to him-the rubber sheet was not up to 6" on the sides previously and the corners were not done properly. There was some evidence that the water was previously leaking from corners/edges.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

omega wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:02 pm Thanks everyone for your time and comments. Here is an update.

We reached out to 15+ contractors recommended by local facebook groups/friends. Most didn't want to do it, as it was a small job in their opinion. One reputed contractor quoted for 4500. Two others (individuals, not big contractors) quoted 1300 plus materials cost.

We went with person who quoted 1300 and bought 300 USD worth of materials. He guaranteed his work and also he lives near by our house. It took him a week to finish the work. He completely removed previous tiles, underlying concrete, side tiles etc. He rebuilt everything and hauled all of the wastes. He also gave me a written contract. Long story short: we have been using the shower for past 3 days. No leak so far (touch wood!). We are going to monitor for few more weeks before putting the tiles next to the shower. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

P.S: According to him-the rubber sheet was not up to 6" on the sides previously and the corners were not done properly. There was some evidence that the water was previously leaking from corners/edges.
Sounds like your efforts paid off. Glad you seem to have gotten a good deal. (fingers crossed)