Electric Scooters

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Que1999

Electric Scooters

Post by Que1999 »

I recently got a new transfer for work, which requires me to commute to the train which is about 1.5 miles from my residence. I've been driving for the past 3 months 1.5 miles, getting to the train stop, scrambling to find a parking spot and sometimes missing my train and having to wait another 30-or-so minutes until the next one gets there. I'd much rather leave my car in the garage than go through this routine every day.

I started wondering what I could use to commute 1.5 miles to the train.... Thought maybe a bicycle, but I don't want to get sweaty before even starting my workday, and I'm not really comfortable chaining something like that up at the station and hoping it's there when I get back... Then said to myself but I need something that is relatively easy to transport onto 2 trains and in sometimes crowded conditions. My search led me into the electric, foldable scooter world.

It should be delivered today. I'm excited because I love finding little ways like this to save money and make my life more efficient. Also, the wife will now have full-time access to the car while I'm working which is another plus since we're a 1-car household. Anyone have any experience with electric scooters, and/or any tips which a new e-scooter rider like myself could use?

Thanks!
manatee2005

Re: Electric Scooters

Post by manatee2005 »

Que1999 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:49 pm I recently got a new transfer for work, which requires me to commute to the train which is about 1.5 miles from my residence. I've been driving for the past 3 months 1.5 miles, getting to the train stop, scrambling to find a parking spot and sometimes missing my train and having to wait another 30-or-so minutes until the next one gets there. I'd much rather leave my car in the garage than go through this routine every day.

I started wondering what I could use to commute 1.5 miles to the train.... Thought maybe a bicycle, but I don't want to get sweaty before even starting my workday, and I'm not really comfortable chaining something like that up at the station and hoping it's there when I get back... Then said to myself but I need something that is relatively easy to transport onto 2 trains and in sometimes crowded conditions. My search led me into the electric, foldable scooter world.

It should be delivered today. I'm excited because I love finding little ways like this to save money and make my life more efficient. Also, the wife will now have full-time access to the car while I'm working which is another plus since we're a 1-car household. Anyone have any experience with electric scooters, and/or any tips which a new e-scooter rider like myself could use?

Thanks!
I would recommend walking. It’s good for your health and 1.5 miles isn’t that far.

If you insist on scooting then I suggest you make sure you have good health insurance. My city started getting those scooters you rent and brain injuries skyrocketed. It’s a dangerous device, much more than a bike.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

People do some dumb things on scooters. They wear sandals, go between cars, no shirt. They attract stupid behavior. I've ridden one like a normal person (not top speed, not weaving, with real shoes) and they are pretty fun and a good way to travel.

Seems like a good way to go. You might even have fun.
EHEngineer

Post by EHEngineer »

The main problem is that the roads are not set up for them. They're faster than pedestrians, but slower than bikes (usually) and have tiny wheels that can't absorb a 1" step in the sidewalk or street. They also turn way faster than bikes. So my advice is be careful, be aware of your surroundings, and wear a helmet. ER docs get a lot of business from scooter riders.

I listened to a good podcast about them recently and will link it if I find it.

An alternative would be to have your spouse drop you off at the train station.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We rent them all the time to get around the hood. They’re completely fun and useful for short jaunts. The only advice I have is to get a helmet. They have small wheels and a short wheelbase. I’ve had visions of hitting a pothole and going over the handlebars.

If you’re not an experienced bike rider, you might consider taking a bicycle safety course. The principles you learn are fully applicable to the scooter.

You might also check to see if the train station has bicycle storage lockers that can rent. A lot of commuter train stations have more secure bike storage than just locking it to a rack in the rain. An e-bike would be perfect for this.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I used to bike 3.5 miles to the express bus. Just locked it up and left it there all day, downtown Minneapolis (ulock plus Dutch lock).

I also did Brompton for a while, which would allow me to bike on the other end.

I ended up moving closer to the transit stop so I just walk there.

On the scooter recommendations, go slow on rough pavement. I usually use bike share and only use a scooter if I'm in the middle of nowhere and that's the only thing close by.

I don't own a scooter, but in your circumstance I think u made the right decision if u don't want to bike. I really doubt biking 1.5 miles would produce much sweat, and even then u wouldn't be stinky
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

Que1999 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:49 pm I recently got a new transfer for work, which requires me to commute to the train which is about 1.5 miles from my residence. I've been driving for the past 3 months 1.5 miles, getting to the train stop, scrambling to find a parking spot and sometimes missing my train and having to wait another 30-or-so minutes until the next one gets there. I'd much rather leave my car in the garage than go through this routine every day.

Thanks!
That's a very good idea indeed. I am probably going to do the same for a ~3 mile commute. I see a lot of reviews, but no trusted source. Can you share what did you find out about what is the best model to get?

In regards to tips, I use a lot the shared scooters in my city (Lime, Bird, etc) and they are easy to get used to. I would say be careful with cars, and aware not to dart in front of one. I see people wearing helmets, might be worth considering.
Last edited by sk2101 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbronc

Post by gbronc »

I have a lot of experience with a millennial son who's gone through two scooters and I have years of personal mountain bike maintenance experience.

The insurance industry has not caught up to the scooter world. Your homeowner's may or may not cover you for a liability. Renter's insurance will not and right now there is no way to buy "scooter insurance" for liability if you don't own a home. I'm really hoping my son doesn't slam into anyone, because he's on his own.

Hopefully you also have a bit of mechanical skills. These scooters have a lot of parts and unlike bikes, they are not particularly standard between scooter. My son has yet to find a shop in San Francisco, where he lives, that will service them and he is not at all handy. So, I'd ride conservatively and avoid putting too much of a beating on them. Patching tubes or replacing disc brake pads can be ridiculously complicated and aggravating, as is finding parts. The Chinese manufacturers are difficult to work with and there are so many low quality replacement parts out there. It's really the wild west.

But they are fun as hell and make a lot of sense if nothing goes wrong. Wear a helmet, you won't regret it.

For me 1.5 miles would be walking distance, but you'll have more fun on a scooter and it is far faster.

The world will catch up to them, you'll just be on the bleeding edge right now.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

What keeps you upright on a normal sized bicycle is the gyroscopic action of the large wheels/tires turning. This makes a bicycle a relatively safe mode of transportation assuming you avoid crashing or being hit by cars. The tiny wheels on a scooter produce very little inertial stability so you have to balance to stay upright. I consider scooters a dangerous toy at best, and definitely not a safe way to travel. Get and always wear the best helmet you can afford. Suggest you ride a bike instead. Hopefully you can ride it enough over time to not get sweaty on a brief 5 minute ride.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Folding electric bicycle?
j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Thanks!
I would walk. It is only 1.5 miles.
ohai

Post by ohai »

1.5 miles is like a 30 minute walk though. I can understand how OP will want to shave off 10-20 minutes off of that, each way.

Other suggestion - have wife drive you there. It will take her like 5 minutes. Don't know if she is watching kids or something though.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I don't think the scooter is a bad idea. Wear a helmet. Take it easy. Enjoy.

I would also consider a beater bike. Keep your eyes out, and I bet you can find a nice commuter for < $100. That would be my preference. For 1.5 miles, I don't know how you'd get sweaty, unless it is all uphill.
Topic Author
Que1999

Post by Que1999 »

I have and plan on wearing a helmet 100% of the time.

Also, the wife works full-time and isn't available to drive me when I leave for work. She carpools in with a co-worker who drives while I am the one using the car....

I work evenings into the mornings, so if I rode a bike it would be chained up from early evening into the mornings. Pretty sure it would be stolen in no time being chained up over a midnight shift consistently at a dark vacant train station. Folding bicycle? Never gave it much thought but maybe?... It needs to be something easy to transport.

Also, my commute on 2 trains is around an hour. The 20-30 minute walk isn't something I'm willing to add onto an hour already.... And I consistently do overtime to the tune of about 40 hours a month. My personal time is precious so I'd rather sacrifice the 9-10 minutes Google Maps tells me a scooter ride is than the nearly half hour walking.

These are great tips and advice thanks and keep em coming!
Topic Author
Que1999

Post by Que1999 »

sk2101 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks!
That's a very good idea indeed. I am probably going to do the same for a ~3 mile commute. I see a lot of reviews, but no trusted source. Can you share what did you find out about what is the best model to get?

In regards to tips, I use a lot the shared scooters in my city (Lime, Bird, etc) and they are easy to get used to. I would say be careful with cars, and aware not to dart in front of one. I see people wearing helmets, might be worth considering.
I just needed something to do the 3-mile round trip to the train station, so I didn't go for anything too fancy or high end with the 20-30 mile ranges some scooters have.

So I went with a budget scooter: the GoTrax GXL V2. $248 and I scrounged up a 10% coupon online so I paid $235 with free shipping. Seems to be a good-quaility budget scooter that would meet my needs..

It has a 30-day no questions asked return policy, so if it doesn't work out I'll just return it. But there are alot of different models out there with higher speeds and high ranges at higher price points.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

There are lots of different kinds of folding bikes.

For the most compact quality folder you probably want a Brompton. It’ll fit under your desk and anywhere else, and it folds and unfolds reasonably quickly.

That, and super bright lights. The Dinotte Quad Red tail light is incredibly bright, very expensive, and still way cheaper than a hospital bill.

Cyclist
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

It depends where you live due to the climate, rules on scooters and condition of roads/sidewalks. Where I live you need to use them on the road with traffic. People drive very aggressively here and the roads are full of potholes. I would just walk 1.5 miles which is about 30 minutes for me, but YMMV.

I have an eBike that I really like, but that does need to be chained up and is subject to theft. Since it is more recreational than transportation I try to stick mostly to bike lanes/paths.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

You can buy a used Brompton, worse case u quick offload it for like a $200 loss. Easy to sell on eBay and ship... Bc it's small. But it is relatively heavy, 25lbs. Combersome to carry more than a block without unfolding. Folding takes 9 seconds. I wouldn't bring anything bigger than a Brompton on transit.

Ure only biking 1.5 miles, if u lock up both wheels and ensure the bike is only worth $120, remove lights and seat... There's nothing worth taking. Walmart has cheap but good bikes for $180. Get rim, not disc brakes with cheap bikea. Put schwalbe marathon tires on it and you'll never get a flat. Ure going 1.5 miles, it doesn't need to be a lemond.

The scooter option is a very good option and it's nice to have a variety of modes available (esp if your bike breaks down). I do view scooters though as somewhat disposable, which is a little sad compared to a 50yr old steel framed Dutch bike.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Que1999 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm
sk2101 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks!

I just needed something to do the 3-mile round trip to the train station, so I didn't go for anything too fancy or high end with the 20-30 mile ranges some scooters have.

So I went with a budget scooter: the GoTrax GXL V2. $248 and I scrounged up a 10% coupon online so I paid $235 with free shipping. Seems to be a good-quaility budget scooter that would meet my needs..

It has a 30-day no questions asked return policy, so if it doesn't work out I'll just return it. But there are alot of different models out there with higher speeds and high ranges at higher price points.
That’s pretty tiny to ride around on public streets although in a downtown or highly urban area with lower speeds maybe it would be ok.

My early 20’s son has a Super Turbo 1000-Elite electric scooter https://www.superscootersales.com/ that he loves to ride around on, but it’s more of a recreational / hobby thing and while it does fold up, you wouldn’t want to carry it around. It does have a seat and larger wheels with a center mounted motor so it is pretty stable at speed.

I’d definitely recommend a helmet.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

IDK what kind of footwear you need for work but I have found scooter startup and stop more safe feeling in sport shoes than work shoes. Ride your bike on the route to identify potential hazards for the small wheels of a scooter and plan to avoid them. As others have noted, there is a wide variety in build quality and expected longevity. If you can avoid hazards and keep it indoors it will last longer.

Disclaimer, I only ride the rental ones and do not own a personal scooter.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Cycle wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm I used to bike 3.5 miles to the express bus. Just locked it up and left it there all day, downtown Minneapolis (ulock plus Dutch lock).

How did you like your Brompton ... do you still use it?
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Get a good lock and you will not have to worry about theft. Locking skewers for all your quick releases + Kryptonite New Yorker or top of the line Abus.

Wear a helmet and be really careful. Cover your bike or scooter with SOLAS tape or similar. The key is the tape should have micro beads in them so the beam goes back at the angle it came in. Get two good tail lights (I like the Cygolite 50/100/150s). Get a helmet mounted headlamp.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I was in Paris last year and there were all sorts of electric gizmos on the streets - scooters, bikes, unicycle type things, etc...They are very quiet and fast. Pedestrians have to be very careful when crossing the street near these. As you ride it to the train station be a defensive driver and assume that pedestrians are not necessarily aware of your presence / speed.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

bikechuck wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:48 pm
Cycle wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm I used to bike 3.5 miles to the express bus. Just locked it up and left it there all day, downtown Minneapolis (ulock plus Dutch lock).

How did you like your Brompton ... do you still use it?
Steel is real. It rode amazing. The little wheels means it gets up to speed super fast. I sold it, as I'm a bit of a minimalist and own just one bike and no car.

We have a great bike share in my city, so i mostly use that.

I may get a Brompton again, there's one listed on fb market place I've been eyeing

I had the s2l with Dynamo.

Id probably switch to h3l or h6l. I'm over 6' so the s bar was a little cramped.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

I have been riding a Jetson Quest about a mile to work for several months now. Rear disc brake. 18 mile range.I love it.

My route is half neighborhood streets and half downtown grid. I use streets and sidewalks depending on traffic. Six minutes one way. No sweat even during summer heat. Max speed about 14 mph. No crashes or near misses so far. Use a helmet and lights. I drive if it is pouring rain.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
queso

Post by queso »

I work with a couple people who use them for commuting. They started out on Segway Ninebots or similar and have now graduated to the Quiewas which will do 35-40 mph. One of them commuted on a Vespa for years before that and he makes about the same time on the Quiewa since he doesn't have to adhere to traffic laws as strictly on the scooter (no comment on whether that's a good idea or not). One of them hit a pothole at speed and broke the rear sub-frame in two (the bar below the rear shocks) and took a bit of a spill. Luckily he was ok and was able to order the parts from Quiewa to fix it. I know another woman who carries a Ninebot in the trunk of her car, parks at a parking garage that is significantly cheaper than the one in her building and rides the Ninebot from her el cheapo parking garage to her office. I've also seen people ride them from their home to a subway station, fold it up and drag it behind them like a suitcase and then redeploy it when they reach their stop and use it to get where they are going. They prefer them to bikes since they don't get sweaty riding them and they can fold them up and wheel them into their offices to charge them rather than having to lock them to a bike rack.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Que1999 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm I just needed something to do the 3-mile round trip to the train station, so I didn't go for anything too fancy or high end with the 20-30 mile ranges some scooters have.

Que 1999, How has your GoTrax GXL been working for you? 3 mile round trip should be a nice ride for you, providing no Rain. :twisted: Last spring, I bought my son the GoTrax xR Ultra. It has been great for him as he doesn't like to ride a bike. He and I have made many rides with him riding his GoTrax and me riding my Rad Rover e-bike. He is averaging ~ 15 miles per charge, it gets around really good and it gets him out of the house to explore the neighborhood. Agree that helmet is a must.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
jb3

Post by jb3 »

I got my kids a Levy and Xiaomi M365 Pro and I have a GoTrax. They are super fun and practical for short trips. A bit sketchy on broken pavement, you just have to be aware.

They do break a lot (especially tires) and you have to become handy with fixing them yourself.

The Xiaomi M365 is the most popular worldwide and has the best parts availability.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

AllMostThere wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:54 pm
Que1999 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm I just needed something to do the 3-mile round trip to the train station, so I didn't go for anything too fancy or high end with the 20-30 mile ranges some scooters have.

Que 1999, How has your GoTrax GXL been working for you? 3 mile round trip should be a nice ride for you, providing no Rain. :twisted: Last spring, I bought my son the GoTrax xR Ultra. It has been great for him as he doesn't like to ride a bike. He and I have made many rides with him riding his GoTrax and me riding my Rad Rover e-bike. He is averaging ~ 15 miles per charge, it gets around really good and it gets him out of the house to explore the neighborhood. Agree that helmet is a must.
Que wrote that post about five minutes before the pandemic started. It’s likely they haven’t actually been to the office since then.
latestartearner

Post by latestartearner »

I’ve had a Brompton for 4 years now and use it heavily for multi-modal transportation. 1.5 miles and on-off train/bus rides is perfect for a Brompton. I love their custom bags because you can carry a rather heavy load without having to worry about sweating on your back. I also bike longer distances with the Brompton (e.g. 9 miles) just for fun when I have the time.
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Klang Fool has an e bike I think. It folds up and you can take it with you on train??

DA
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Looking to revive this thread as battery technology and scooter build quality have greatly improved. Along with higher gas prices.

I live in the suburbs about 3 miles from my office each way. I'd like to drive less and wouldn't mind the extra time outside so was thinking about an escooter to get to work (and maybe to do other short trips). I live in the suburbs with little traffic, but our roads are windy and most people drive above the posted speed limit of 25-30mph. There are sidewalks on my route and bikes are currently allowed to use the sidewalks but must yield to pedestrians. I've tried riding my bike but I always get very sweaty, even when the weather is cool as there are some hills. I would feel a bit safer on a bike, but e-bikes are significantly more expensive than scooters so I can't justify the cost.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

One of my neighbors has this https://varlascooter.com/products/varla ... c-scooter/

He commutes to work (~10 miles each way) in full leathers and a full-face helmet, it's pretty hilarious. Having ridden it around the block, I understand - it's crazy how fast it accelerates (and I have a way overpowered e-bike). As far as I know, he's had no issues with it in like a year.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Wear a helmet
Get solid tires (non pneumatic)

That’s about it. I have a Segway ES4 and love it. Either that or the free ride mosquito would be my pick for a foldable commuter scooter with range and power.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Strayshot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:21 pm Wear a helmet

That’s about it. I have a Segway ES4 and love it. Either that or the free ride mosquito would be my pick for a foldable commuter scooter with range and power.
Did you ride like a bike on the side of the road. What about intersections? Can you do hand signals on a scooter?
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Rainier wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:52 pm
Strayshot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:21 pm Wear a helmet

Did you ride like a bike on the side of the road. What about intersections? Can you do hand signals on a scooter?
I don’t do hand signals on my scooter or my bike, I can’t think of the last time I ever saw someone on either signal a turn. Most people on bikes these days can barely be troubled to stop at lights or signs if they think there is no cross traffic.
Intersections I follow lights just like a car would. If there are sidewalks, I ride those on the scooter and follow pedestrian signals. If it is crowded I walk the scooter on crossing.
If you know the route you are going to commute, you can come up with a good plan on how to scooter it. I actually feel safer on the scooter than I ever did on a bike because it is so easy to bail vs being seated and locked in on shoes……..
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

I can see the Bogleheads buying stock in Band Aids and suture materials. :wink:
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Because of its longer wheelbase and larger wheels, a bike is much safer. So before you settle the scooter vs bike question, you need to ask yourself how much your life is worth.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I agree with the e-bike. I used to have a scooter. It was sit down 49cc scooter which in my state doesn't require a motorcycle license. Though I avoided major roads when possible, the top speed was around 25-30 mph (on flat ground) and I found cars aggressive since they wanted to go faster. With an e-bike you aren't competing directly with cars. My e-bike goes around 20 mph. You also do not need plates, separate insurance, a city sticker, etc. with an e-bike (YMMV depending where you live). You don't have to worry about gas/oil if storing for the winter.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

You're totally on the right track with an ebike or escooter. These really are the future of urban mobility, if we would just build infrastructure for them. If you haven't tried riding one I would recommend it for sure, and I've biked for decades for transportation. Ebike is probably more versatile. Two real benefits versus a normal bike (I guess these used to be called push bikes a hundred years ago) are that they have a heavy, low center of gravity, making them very stable, and you can use big fat tires that would be a lot of work if you had to drive them. Combine that with being able to wear normal clothes and not sweat and they're incredibly versatile.

The real crux is the route to the train station. Some roads you just can't ride on. If you're not used to biking in traffic, there is a method to it. I don't know about courses, but the book The Art of Urban Cycling captures it pretty well.

Edit: whoops, got suckered in by an old thread. To Rainier, unfortunately sidewalks are extremely dangerous to ride on - the way to stay safe around traffic is to be where cars are already looking as they drive, on a sidewalk you'll be popping out of unexpected places. Not to mention driveways and a host of other factors. Not to mention you'll be going way faster than pedestrians and are yourself a danger to them. They're really the worst place to ride and much, much more dangerous than being in the street. I would recommend the book above as a starting point for how to not get killed (I think they actually reissued it as Staying Alive on Urban Streets or something), Robert Hurst is the author.