What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sycamore

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by sycamore »

heartwood wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:19 am McCartney III on Spotify, released today 12/18. Apparently all done by him at his daughter's farm in quarantine.
Thanks I hadn't heard about this release. I'm listening to it now...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

California Girls — The Beach Boys
DCChak

Post by DCChak »

This Warm Christmas, A Brushfire Holiday, Volume 3
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Listened to three CDs by Heart The Essential Heart earlier. Nice three CD collection.

Now listening to John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers Blues for the Lost Days, and Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

sycamore wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:58 pm
heartwood wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:19 am McCartney III on Spotify, released today 12/18. Apparently all done by him at his daughter's farm in quarantine.
You know, I have never been much of a fan of The Beatles (though a DD bought me a nice 16 CD collection of their releases). I listen to the collection occasionally.

I confess, if I were asked to name ONE song Paul McCartney has released as a solo performer, I don't think I could. I'm sure I must have heard some over the years, but they just haven't stuck with me.

I think I'll explore his offerings a bit tomorrow via Amazon Music. If nothing else he seems to have serious staying power.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

Toto. 40 trips around the sun. I love listening to GREAT musicians. Folks that really know their craft. The difference in that and "pop" or "corporate" is amazing.

Bob
dreamrrr

Post by dreamrrr »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:56 pm
dreamrrr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:43 am Emmet Cohen
Live From Emmet's Place Vol. 34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNBOwRj4Bnk

and this
Live From Emmet's Place Vol. 35 - Tivon Pennicott & Alphonso Horne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWzWUD ... YX&index=1
Emmet Cohen: great trio! Listening to V. 34 now. Thanks for posting! :happy
He plays with his trio every week and streams the live performance on facebook. He started this 35 weeks ago when the stay at home orders began. I really enjoy this group and he has different guests each week.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

I've ordered the CD.

Today I listened to this interview with Paul early in the pandemic, 4/14/20. Interesting to hear comments about the pandemic near the beginning. Paul is as charming as ever, though Howard Stern can be a bit distracting, annoying, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxbcoP0-Xhs&t=15s
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

"Gringeaux" by Pat Keating. A Jimmy Buffet feel with Third Coast (Texas/ Louisiana) lyrics. Especially enjoy "Crackers and Gumbo", "Alligator Shoes", "Rhythm of the Metronome" and "Mailbox Money". Available on Amazon.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:42 pm
You know, I have never been much of a fan of The Beatles (though a DD bought me a nice 16 CD collection of their releases). I listen to the collection occasionally.

I confess, if I were asked to name ONE song Paul McCartney has released as a solo performer, I don't think I could. I'm sure I must have heard some over the years, but they just haven't stuck with me.

I think I'll explore his offerings a bit tomorrow via Amazon Music. If nothing else he seems to have serious staying power.

Broken Man 1999
Interesting how some bands/performers can be one person's absolute favorite but someone else's "meh" :)

McCartney released quite a few hits with his band Wings, would that count? These might ring a bell: Band on the Run, Live and Let Die, Helen Wheels, Jet, Mull of Kintyre, Venus & Mars. Also some collaborations: Ebony and Ivory (Stevie Wonder), The Girl is Mine (Michael Jackson). Some better known non-Wings songs are My Brave Face, Maybe I'm Amazed, Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert.

Of more recent vintage, I recommend the album Memory Almost Full. Good mix of some rockers and some wistful/melancholic tunes.
Broken Man 1999

sycamore wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:24 am

Broken Man 1999
Interesting how some bands/performers can be one person's absolute favorite but someone else's "meh" :)

McCartney released quite a few hits with his band Wings, would that count? These might ring a bell: Band on the Run, Live and Let Die, Helen Wheels, Jet, Mull of Kintyre, Venus & Mars. Also some collaborations: Ebony and Ivory (Stevie Wonder), The Girl is Mine (Michael Jackson). Some better known non-Wings songs are My Brave Face, Maybe I'm Amazed, Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert.

Of more recent vintage, I recommend the album Memory Almost Full. Good mix of some rockers and some wistful/melancholic tunes.
One thing that prevents certain performers from entering ones musical space is the decline of radio listening. Streaming music allows you to listen to what you prefer.

I have lots and lots of CDs, but there are certainly gaps in different musicians.

I tend to listen to the rockers in the 70ties, a lot of blues, and of course what my granddaughters listen to and enjoy. Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, P!NK, Florida Georgia line, etc.

I'll order your recommendation of Memory Almost Full, thanks!

Broken Man 1999
You Know What I Mean

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:14 am

Broken Man 1999

One thing that prevents certain performers from entering ones musical space is the decline of radio listening. Streaming music allows you to listen to what you prefer.

I have lots and lots of CDs, but there are certainly gaps in different musicians.

I tend to listen to the rockers in the 70ties, a lot of blues, and of course what my granddaughters listen to and enjoy. Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, P!NK, Florida Georgia line, etc.

Broken Man 1999
After more than 50 years, I still love The Beatles more than any other singers or groups.

Of Paul's solo albums, my favorites are Band on the Run (1973) and Tug of War (1982). Also, Pipes of Peace (1983) is particularly appropriate this time of year, as the title song remembers Christmas 1914. Nice video, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwyFTRGiIUU

Merry Christmas!
You Know What I Mean (as in "Well, she was just seventeen; You know what I mean;...")
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Here’s to the Nights — Ringo Starr (with Paul McCartney)
https://bestclassicbands.com/ringo-star ... -12-18-20/
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:30 pm Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton

Broken Man 1999
One of my all time favorite albums. The tone that Clapton produced on that record was revolutionary. An irreplaceable Gibson Les Paul and overdriven Marshall amplifiers set the standard for rock guitar for anyone coming after. My 15 year old ears were never the same after hearing that album.
One can’t go wrong with old Yardbirds guitarists. Jeff Beck’s live shows, of which I have a few dozen, are on always my playlist. That is, when I’m not listening to Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones live shows.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999
After more than 50 years, I still love The Beatles more than any other singers or groups.

Of Paul's solo albums, my favorites are Band on the Run (1973) and Tug of War (1982). Also, Pipes of Peace (1983) is particularly appropriate this time of year, as the title song remembers Christmas 1914. Nice video, in my opinion.

Merry Christmas!
You Know What I Mean (as in "Well, she was just seventeen; You know what I mean;...")
I was always a Stones, Kinks, Who kind of guy. A few Beatles albums did it for me - Abbey Road, The White Album. McCartney was always a little too sappy for me. I feel that he needed John Lennon in the band to roughen up the sound and lyrics. Too much pop and not enough rocking on his own.
You Know What I Mean

Nicolas wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 pm Here’s to the Nights — Ringo Starr (with Paul McCartney)
https://bestclassicbands.com/ringo-star ... -12-18-20/
Nice! Thanks.
You Know What I Mean

eddot98 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:24 pm
You Know What I Mean wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999

Merry Christmas!
I was always a Stones, Kinks, Who kind of guy. A few Beatles albums did it for me - Abbey Road, The White Album. McCartney was always a little too sappy for me. I feel that he needed John Lennon in the band to roughen up the sound and lyrics. Too much pop and not enough rocking on his own.
You're in good company. John Lennon didn't like some of Paul's "granny songs" either. However, I love them, too: the sentimental as well as the rock n roll. To each his own!

I love the early Stones and the Kinks, too. "Arthur" (1969) is a great album.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Pēteris Vasks' violin concerto, 'Distant Light'. In celebration of the solstice, of course.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Live at the Avalon Ballroom '66. On YouTube.
dreamrrr

Post by dreamrrr »

Live From Emmet's Place Vol. 36 - Vuyo Sotashe, Bruce Harris & Godwin Louis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4evPCigXc
Ernest74

Post by Ernest74 »

For Beatle fans...

The Beatles: Get Back - A Sneak Peek from Peter Jackson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocEGvQ ... TheBeatles
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Alexa is playing classic Christmas music.
IrishPotofGold63

Post by IrishPotofGold63 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:36 am Vince Guaraldi, jazz pianist (trio)

"A Charlie Brown Christmas"

One of my favorite tracks: "Christmas Time is Here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dqZ6Jy-GE
Such a great release - one of my faves too
Everybody have fun tonight....everybody Wang Chung tonight (Wang Chung)
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I have been "listening/watching" on You Tube a variety of music groups, primarily live video of performances - The Cars, Toto, Cheap Trick (Aint that a Shame - pure energy), ABBA (mostly lip sync, but a couple live spots), Rush (wow!), Led Zepplin rehearsal before last concert.

Also some podcasts, primarily Scott Galloway.

Ed
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Trout Mask Replica — Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band https://youtu.be/aF0g-2SeoMM
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You Know What I Mean

Ernest74 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:32 am For Beatle fans...

As Peter Jackson said, it really made me smile!
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:19 pm Dear Mr. Fantasy — Traffic
One of the best bands ever. Listening to John Barleycorn Must Die.
Ernest74

Post by Ernest74 »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:50 pm
Ernest74 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:32 am For Beatle fans...

As Peter Jackson said, it really made me smile!
Me too! Always nice to see stuff I haven't seen before.
Ernest74

Post by Ernest74 »

bearcub wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:17 am
Classic album. 'Empty Pages' one of my all time favorite tunes.
Ernest74

Post by Ernest74 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:36 am Vince Guaraldi, jazz pianist (trio)

"A Charlie Brown Christmas"

One of my favorite tracks: "Christmas Time is Here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dqZ6Jy-GE
Look forward to this every Christmas.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

bearcub wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:17 am
+1

A classic. :beer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Happy Xmas (War is Over) — The Plastic Ono Band with The Harlem Community Choir
Wonderful Christmastime — Paul McCartney
Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town (live) — Bruce Springsteen
tyrnup13

Post by tyrnup13 »

I just discovered Pomplamoose and Nataly Dawn. Can't stop listening!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy — Bing Crosby & David Bowie
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Goodbye Tour Live 1968 — Cream
Four live concerts from Cream’s Goodbye Tour — 4 CD box set
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... et-919780/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Mozart's Linz Symphony, a favorite.

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:25 am Peace on Earth/The Little Drummer Boy — Bing Crosby & David Bowie
I listened on Christmas Eve and was amazed by Bowie's voice.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Pizza Tapes — Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, & Tony Rice (T. Rice R.I.P. 12/25/2020)
So-named because a pizza delivery boy stole the tapes and released them as a bootleg, so Grisman officially released the jam. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pizza_Tapes
Ernest74

Post by Ernest74 »

Jude Cole - I Don't Know Why I Act This Way
theDON2050

Post by theDON2050 »

Best of John Prine on Spotify, Best of Tribe Called Quest on Spotify for Music.

Throughline, This American Life, Up First, The Journal, The Right Time with Bomani Jones, and the Dan LeBatard Show on Podcast. Whistleblower and No Compromise were also good one season podcasts.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Shout and Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Tears For Fears. On YouTube.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Rolling Stones - You can’t always get what you want
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

I like Bill Evans when I read, AC/DC when I drive, and Bill Burr podcasts when I walk.
Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 »

Lynyrd skynyrd radio on I heart radio
CouponJack

Post by CouponJack »

On Sirius Radio:

up until Christmas my local radio station played the Xmas music I like...(Gene Autry, Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, etc)...you know the old school christmas music...

now that its pretty much over, i'll go back to my normal schedule.....

CNBC simulcast in the a.m., then i usually switch to 70's on 7 or 80's on 8.....(sometimes also listen to the back in the day replay for both decades)
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

LCD Soundsystem on YouTube music
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

A music video on YouTube: Tubes - White Punks On Dope (1977 ROX M1X)

Now that's rock 'n' roll!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Silence. After a long week at work that is golden.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Goin’ to Chicago — Billy Boy Arnold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Boy_Arnold
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Under the Milky Way and Reptile by The Church.