What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sycamore

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by sycamore »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:16 pm The Who Sell Out: Super Deluxe Edition by The Who, released today. Includes many outtakes, 47 unreleased tracks. 114 songs, five hours forty-one minutes of good music.
On a side note, The Who announce new charity partnership with Heinz to celebrate ‘The Who Sell Out’.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

sycamore wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:35 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:16 pm The Who Sell Out: Super Deluxe Edition by The Who, released today. Includes many outtakes, 47 unreleased tracks. 114 songs, five hours forty-one minutes of good music.
On a side note, The Who announce new charity partnership with Heinz to celebrate ‘The Who Sell Out’.
I’m gonna get me some of them beans! :D
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Bay City Rollers. A big part of my childhood died yesterday.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

A traditinal song called Two Sisters.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Allison Russell - Nightflyer and Persephone

Allison IS part of Birds of Chicago and is releasing her first solo record soon titled "Outside Child".

Elise Davis - Empty Chairs and Yellow Bed.

Elise released her latest record "Anxious. Happy. Chill." in April.

Arlo Parks is another interesting artist. So much good/new music.

https://youtu.be/eovUiXuaM1k
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:54 am Allison was part of Birds of Chicago...
Was? Wow.

Glad to read that the duo's pause seems to be borne of refocusing creative energy, rather than a break in their relationship. I've seen them several times, and they always bring an uplifting stage presence to go along with their great music.

Thanks for the notice, of sorts. Will check out the new single.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

iceport wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:42 am
bloom2708 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:54 am Allison IS part of Birds of Chicago...
Was? Wow.
Tough crowd. IS part of Birds of Chicago. :(

If lucky, there might be <5 people on Boglheads that have heard of Birds. Jimi Hendrix? Yes. Birds of Chicago? Unlikely. :?
iceport

Post by iceport »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am
bloom2708 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:54 am Allison IS part of Birds of Chicago...
Was? Wow.

If lucky, there might be <5 people on Boglheads that have heard of Birds. Jimi Hendrix? Yes. Birds of Chicago? Unlikely. :?
Yeah, but they *ARE* on indefinite hiatus! It seems like they're making the conscious decision to pursue a solo career for Allison instead of continuing as a touring duo, at least for now.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Earlier: Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. 4 Way Street.
Now: The Who. The Who Sell Out.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

bloom2708 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:54 am Allison Russell - Nightflyer and Persephone

Allison IS part of Birds of Chicago and is releasing her first solo record soon titled "Outside Child".

Elise Davis - Empty Chairs and Yellow Bed.

Elise released her latest record "Anxious. Happy. Chill." in April.

Arlo Parks is another interesting artist. So much good/new music.

https://youtu.be/eovUiXuaM1k
All good voices. I especially like Birds of Chicago. I've been listening to them for a couple of hours now while I read.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Apple Music.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Trip to the early 90s today...The Smashing Pumpkins album Siamese Dream
Stevee

Post by Stevee »

Principal Brothers No. 3 by James Lee III
Performed by Anthony McGill, who is the Principal Clarinetist of the NY Philharmonic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWLP64SAAQI
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

White Light / White Heat — The Velvet Underground
McCartney III — Paul McCartney
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Heard these two today while working on some work spreadsheets

Steely Dan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmdiKePVUy8

Moody Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs4RG9u8IVU
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

East—West by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (1966). Those guys were good.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:21 pm East—West by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (1966). Those guys were good.
Yes, and that was truly a classic album. (I still have the vinyl. :wink: ) That was one of my very first proper introductions to the blues, after Muddy Waters' sensational "Fathers and Sons" double live album on Chess.

I'd turn to East-West often in high school, though it definitely featured a heavy mood... this album is just drenched in deep, existential blues. When the mood is right, it's cathartic; at other times, it can really bum me out! :shock:
iceport

Post by iceport »

Was? Wow.

bloom2708,

I hope my reaction didn't come across as snarky. I just assumed the band (and possibly the couple) had broken up by your choice of tense. Then on their website, they did indeed say they were on an indefinite break as the group "Birds of Chicago." I thought you were just incorporating this news in your post. Glad to see no sign of the couple breaking up, though. :D
iceport

Post by iceport »

Sarah Jarosz - World on the Ground

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... fwxq3k-_-E

Just saw this in the inbox:

A Special Two Show Livestream Experience
Thursday, April 29th & Sunday, May 9th, 2021
Show Time(s): 7:30pm CT / 8:30pm ET
April 29th: Sarah Jarosz performs her Grammy Award winning album "World On The Ground" with a full band for the first time since its release, featuring special guest John Leventhal.

https://boxoffice.mandolin.com/pages/sa ... 9aa65b7333

I haven't "been to" one of these yet, but this is tempting...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:39 am
Nicolas wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:21 pm East—West by The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (1966). Those guys were good.
Yes, and that was truly a classic album. (I still have the vinyl. :wink: ) That was one of my very first proper introductions to the blues, after Muddy Waters' sensational "Fathers and Sons" double live album on Chess.

I'd turn to East-West often in high school, though it definitely featured a heavy mood... this album is just drenched in deep, existential blues. When the mood is right, it's cathartic; at other times, it can really bum me out! :shock:
Any band with Elvin Bishop and Mike Bloomfield has to be good. I’ll often listen to heavy sad music depending on how I’m feeling at the time. Paul Butterfield performed Mystery Train as a guest artist during The Band’s “The Last Waltz” concert. Maybe you could stream it.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 pm Paul Butterfield played Mystery Train as a guest artist during The Band’s “The Last Waltz” concert. Maybe you could stream it.
Soitainly! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r930W1 ... o&index=12

Actually, a whole 54-track playlist (including a bunch of rehearsals) of the entire event is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... Y3QMML2Rjo

(I just love YouTube for music. The playlists work well without ads using Adblock Plus.)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm (I just love YouTube for music. The playlists work well without ads using Adblock Plus.)
Thanks for the tip, I just added Adblock Plus to my iPhone and iPad. I had ten other blockers but not that one! I do use YouTube but my streaming is Apple Music.
iceport

Post by iceport »

It's been a day for music news...

The line-up for FreshGrass just came out, and it's a really strong one: Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Steep Canyon Rangers, Sarah Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan, the Watkins, Noam Pikelny, Amythist Kiah (hear this powerful composition by Kiah), Darol Anger, among others.

Oh yeah, and I thought this group looked familiar: Mandolin Orange in included, but it turns out they changed their name to "Watchhouse." (I really liked the old name, like a hard twist to the "clockwork orange" metaphor.)
midareff

Post by midareff »

Miss Saigon, Original London Cast recording, 2 CDs.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:46 pm A ceiling fan and silence. That is golden.

Tony
Ha--do you ever treat yourself to a spot of music?
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

mikejuss wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:46 pm A ceiling fan and silence. That is golden.

Tony
Why sure! 80s music cranks a lot of the time.

Tony
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

abuss368 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Tony

Tony
Glad to hear it. No pun intended. 8-)
Talfred

Post by Talfred »

In a Sentimental Mood - Duke Ellington and John Coltrane
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

mikejuss wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:25 pm
abuss368 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 pm

Tony

Tony
Glad to hear it. No pun intended. 8-)
Listening to SINATRA! And it is cranking!

Tony
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Tony
LOL
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

iceport wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:44 am
Was? Wow.

bloom2708,

I hope my reaction didn't come across as snarky. I just assumed the band (and possibly the couple) had broken up by your choice of tense. Then on their website, they did indeed say they were on an indefinite break as the group "Birds of Chicago." I thought you were just incorporating this news in your post. Glad to see no sign of the couple breaking up, though. :D
This peaked my interest as I am a fan of the group Po' Girl. Allison Russell was a duo first with Trish Klein (of The Be Good Tanyas) and then with Awna Texeira. The group was a sort of in the indie/folkie genre.
This is Allison singing harmony vocals go Trish Kleins vocals. I believe that's Allison also playing clarinet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnOa9M9aOjc

Here is Allison singing lead vocals with Awna Texeira:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRBDSLpAqc
I think Po'Girl was Allison's main gig until she formed Birds of Chicago with her husband. Now maybe there are 5 of us on the forum who knows who Birds of Chicago are. :happy
iceport

Post by iceport »

novicemoney wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:07 pm This peaked my interest as I am a fan of the group Po' Girl. Allison Russell was a duo first with Trish Klein (of The Be Good Tanyas) and then with Awna Texeira. The group was a sort of in the indie/folkie genre.
This is Allison singing harmony vocals go Trish Kleins vocals. I believe that's Allison also playing clarinet.

I think Po'Girl was Allison's main gig until she formed Birds of Chicago with her husband. Now maybe there are 5 of us on the forum who knows who Birds of Chicago are. :happy
That's really beautiful music novicemoney! Thanks for passing along those links. I really like the sound of Po Girl. A few new albums to explore! :beer
novicemoney

Post by novicemoney »

iceport wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:35 pm
novicemoney wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:07 pm This peaked my interest as I am a fan of the group Po' Girl. Allison Russell was a duo first with Trish Klein (of The Be Good Tanyas) and then with Awna Texeira. The group was a sort of in the indie/folkie genre.

That's really beautiful music novicemoney! Thanks for passing along those links. I really like the sound of Po Girl. A few new albums to explore! :beer
I am glad the songs appeal to you. If you are still in an exploring mood you might want to check out Awna Texeira on a solo effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6QwdY0uwwI

or Trish Klein with The Be Good Tanyas (Frazey Ford on lead vocals):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVKsgNStkGU

or Trish Klein on lead vocals with the Tanyas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK55q-K ... rt_radio=1
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Turning Point — John Mayall
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Sirius 80s on 8

Love it.
Tony
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

The album "Black Vinyl Shoes," by Shoes, and, more specifically, the song "Capital Gain" (which makes me think we should compile a Bogleheads playlist of pop songs about finance).
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Re: Birds of Chicago: “I have seen the winter blowing in the hearts of men”...raw power right there.

Right now, Tom Russell’s Hotwalker on the new Sonos Five spkrs, just after Todd Snider’s First Agnostic Church of Hope and Wonder.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Cosmic Dancer — T. Rex
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

A space heater running.

Tony
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 pm A space heater running.

Tony
Jeez, man--you really like what the French call musique concrète.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Hubris wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:33 pm Re: Birds of Chicago: “I have seen the winter blowing in the hearts of men”...raw power right there.

Right now, Tom Russell’s Hotwalker on the new Sonos Five spkrs, just after Todd Snider’s First Agnostic Church of Hope and Wonder.
Big fan of both Tom Russell and Todd Snider. Just heard that new CD of Snider's yesterday and really like several of the cuts.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Brand new in stores (mine just arrived via Amazon 30 mins ago) - Michael Nesmith: Different Drum: The Lost RCA Victor Recordings.

Love the Nudie threads (?) on the cover too:

https://theseconddisc.com/2021/03/09/se ... e0yRWkphPY
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

mikejuss wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 pm

Tony
Priceless :beer

Tony
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

t2cycling wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 am Massive Attack - 100th Window Album
I still love their hypnotic beats, synth sounds and laid back vocals.
I had no idea who they were until some years ago. I think I Shazamed one of their songs on a TV series. Since then realized they are quite frequently used on a lot of movie soundtracks and TV shows.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

My musical tastes have kind of changed over the years, starting with 70's and 80's rock, then shifting to new wave, then alternative. Later to electronic and trance, and then Bass nectar.

A band for many years I never got was Radiohead. Now oddly I am liking them more and more. As much of music is becoming more uniform, repetitive and less complex, I'm finding the layers of Radiohead a nice change.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Legend of Blind Joe Death — John Fahey (1996)
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:45 am The Legend of Blind Joe Death — John Fahey (1996)
Nice! I like it - simple and acoustic. :happy
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

mikejuss wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 pm

Tony
LOL. If I knew I would become stranded on a desert island, I would take all the music with me I could. :beer
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Bogleheads on investing podcast episode 32
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch