What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by abuss368 »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:00 am Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town — Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
I forgot about that. Going to You Tube now.

New Jersey is our neighbor state! So we are partial to “The Boss” and Bon Jovi!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Trans-Siberian Orchestra
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Grocery market cash register beeps! Waiting in line forever.

Best.
Tony
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Samba Saravah

“You’re alive” the original, by 3 long haired Sesame Street muppets
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

For those who listen to the Roadhouse Podcast, the host set up a bluesy Christmas show this week.

I listened to the podcast via Amazon Unlimited Music.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Above and Beyond "Tri-State", their debut trance album from 2006. Excited to see them soon on their NA tour! :beer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:47 am
Nicolas wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:00 am Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town — Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

Best.
Tony
How about The Chairman of the Board? You didn’t mention him :D
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:14 pm
abuss368 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:47 am

Best.
Tony
How about The Chairman of the Board? You didn’t mention him :D
Of course! Shame on me!
Tony
iceport

Post by iceport »

andypanda wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:13 pm Now I'm going to have to have a Dan Hicks binge. Fire up the turntable. First time I saw them was at the then-new VCU Franklin Street Gym in '74. It was a free Valentine's Day concert by the VCU Concert Committee. The opening act was some unknown guy named Bruce Springstien. Seriously, they got his name wrong on the flyer. He played a fair bit in Richmond in those days, but the Stone Pony had opened in Asbury Park the end of '73 iirc. Okay, let me look...
Thanks for sharing that, andypanda. What an awesome story! I was fortunate enough to see Dan Hick & His Hot Licks at least once, in 2001. So he would have been about 60, but I tell you, he sounded in fine form to me!

I wonder whatever happened to that Springstien guy? :wink:
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

It was '73, not '74. I'd finished grad school by the time Valentine's Day '74 rolled around.

From https://wrirrvamusichistory.tumblr.com/ ... st-gym-feb

"Here’s an image of Bruce Springsteen and members of the E. Street Band at a sound check at the VCU Franklin St. Gym, February 14, 1973. Springsteen and his band opened for for Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks.

By the time Springsteen and the E Street Band played this 1973 show, the New Jersey rocker had played nearly 30 shows in Richmond with at least four of them at VCU.
From left to right are Clarence Clemons, Danny Federici on keyboards, Springsteen, Vini Lopez on drums, and Garry Tallent. Image was taken by Jeff Crossan, a student then at U of R. For more information about that particular show at VCU and just about every other Springsteen concert, visit BruceBase.

- Ray B."
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

The radio reports of the radar tracking Santa’s journey from the Arctic Circle … safe travels, Santa! 🎅🏼🎄🍪 🥛
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Happy Christmas (War is Over) — John & Yoko and The Plastic Ono Band, with The Harlem Community Choir

Wonderful Christmastime — Paul McCartney

I Wanna Be Santa Claus — Ringo Starr

(I couldn’t find a George Christmas song)
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Acoustic Cheer — Acoustic Disc — 100% Handmade Holiday

Tracks / Musicians

Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly - David Grisman, Matt Eakle & Enrique Coria
Jingle Bells - David Grisman Quintet
Maiden's Prayer - Tiny Moore, Jethro Burns & David Grisman
Far Away Over the Mountains - Radim Zenkl
El Nacimiento - Enrique Coria
Wayfaring Stranger - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys
Lonesome Moonlight Waltz - David Grisman Quintet
The First Frosty Silent Noel (Medley) - David Grisman & Enrique Coria
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - David Grisman & Martin Taylor
O Mio Babino Caro - Carlo Aonzo & Beppe Gambetta
Because - David Grisman Quintet
Villlancico - Enrique Coria
Amazing Grace - Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, & Tony Rice
God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman
Shalom Aleichem - Andy Statman & David Grisman
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

iceport wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:57 pm Acoustic Cheer — Acoustic Disc — 100% Handmade Holiday

Tracks / Musicians

Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly - David Grisman, Matt Eakle & Enrique Coria
Jingle Bells - David Grisman Quintet
Maiden's Prayer - Tiny Moore, Jethro Burns & David Grisman
Far Away Over the Mountains - Radim Zenkl
El Nacimiento - Enrique Coria
Wayfaring Stranger - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys
Lonesome Moonlight Waltz - David Grisman Quintet
The First Frosty Silent Noel (Medley) - David Grisman & Enrique Coria
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - David Grisman & Martin Taylor
O Mio Babino Caro - Carlo Aonzo & Beppe Gambetta
Because - David Grisman Quintet
Villlancico - Enrique Coria
Amazing Grace - Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, & Tony Rice
God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman
Shalom Aleichem - Andy Statman & David Grisman
Nice list!
And complete with a rare Jethro Burns sighting!
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

"Good "Swing" Wenceslas" - The Count Basie Orchestra

And other jazzy Christmas songs on Amazon Music. :happy
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:11 pm Happy Christmas (War is Over) — John & Yoko and The Plastic Ono Band, with The Harlem Community Choir

Wonderful Christmastime — Paul McCartney

I Wanna Be Santa Claus — Ringo Starr

(I couldn’t find a George Christmas song)
My Sweet Lord should complete the set nicely

Merry Christmas dear Bogleheads
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Crazy For Christmas — Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Blue Man Group’s NPR Tiny Desk Concert.

No idea how I missed this before, but I can’t stop watching it. What amazing musicians and entertainers.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Peter Wolf (singer for J. Giels). 2002's Sleepless album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_KPoJz ... y9ECbDlVtG

I like all of them but track #2 Nothing But the Wheel is a standout, with backing vocals from Mick Jagger.
iceport

Post by iceport »

sycamore wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:39 pm Peter Wolf (singer for J. Giels). 2002's Sleepless album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_KPoJz ... y9ECbDlVtG

I like all of them but track #2 Nothing But the Wheel is a standout, with backing vocals from Mick Jagger.
Peter Wolf seems like an interesting guy, and something of an enigma to me. On one level, he's always come across as sort of a hard-living (read: "hard-partying") rock star, belting out some mighty crude and insensitive lyrics. But then he's also been known for some pretty sentimental ballads. I was always disappointed in the G. Geils Band's star turn towards unsatisfying pop music in the late 70s and 80s, and had just assumed it was Wolf's influence. But that's not really true, right? Wolf wanted to move back in the direction of the blues, back to their roots, right?

I saw him close a festival a few years ago. It was a fantastic show! The guy's skinny as a rail, but man did he bring it that night. He's a great performer that still has a lot of passion.

Thanks for this album. Bookmarked. Listening now. Very nice.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sycamore wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:39 pm Peter Wolf (singer for J. Giels). 2002's Sleepless album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_KPoJz ... y9ECbDlVtG

i'm listening to the album now. I've had Nothing But the Wheel on my favorites list for years, but I have an ear-worm problem with it! Also took me many listens and reading the lyrics to understand its about driving on the road.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODcI6uDKCTI

The Persuasions - Touch The Hem of His Garment

Five-man a cappella from 1974.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaSmjdWEK9E

The original - he wrote it. Sam Cooke - Touch the Hem of His Garment (Anniversary Video) HD

"Whoa, there was a woman in the Bible days
She had been sick, sick so very long
But she heard 'bout Jesus was passin' by
So she joined the gathering throng
And while she was pushing her way through
Someone asked her, what are you trying to do?
She said, if I could just touch the hem of his garment
I know I'll be made whole"
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

iceport wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Peter Wolf seems like an interesting guy, and something of an enigma to me. On one level, he's always come across as sort of a hard-living (read: "hard-partying") rock star, belting out some mighty crude and insensitive lyrics. But then he's also been known for some pretty sentimental ballads. I was always disappointed in the G. Geils Band's star turn towards unsatisfying pop music in the late 70s and 80s, and had just assumed it was Wolf's influence. But that's not really true, right? Wolf wanted to move back in the direction of the blues, back to their roots, right?

I saw him close a festival a few years ago. It was a fantastic show! The guy's skinny as a rail, but man did he bring it that night. He's a great performer that still has a lot of passion.

When I was in college in Amherst, MA, the J Geils Blues Band played several free outdoor concerts on the campus between 1968 and 1970. As they hadn’t been signed to a record deal yet, we hadn’t heard of them, but they really rocked out, with a great harmonica player, a strong singer (Peter Wolf), a rocking lead guitarist, and a strong bassist and drummer. Thanks for jogging my memory. I need to dig out their first two records, made before they went mainstream to aim for commercial success.

A 1972 show, not well recorded, but a good representation of the band live:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq79uJ58eAM

I turned 18 years old in 1968, the J Geils Blues Band made quite an impression on my young mind. An impression I still have all these years later.
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

eddot98 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:23 am

When I was in college in Amherst, MA, the J Geils Blues Band played several free outdoor concerts on the campus between 1968 and 1970. As they hadn’t been signed to a record deal yet, we hadn’t heard of them, but they really rocked out, with a great harmonica player, a strong singer (Peter Wolf), a rocking lead guitarist, and a strong bassist and drummer. Thanks for jogging my memory. I need to dig out their first two records, made before they went mainstream to aim for commercial success.

I turned 18 years old in 1968, the J Geils Blues Band made quite an impression on my young mind. An impression I still have all these years later.
I was a big fan of the band in the early 70s as well, and saw them in concert early 1973. Got turned on to them by some girls I was hanging out with back then who were rabid fans. Will have to make a revisit. :D
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Listening to the Dead's 5/24/72 concert at the Lyceum Theatre, London, from their Europe '72 The Complete Recordings Box Set.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

The Doors first album, self-titled, released 1967.

First of 12 CDs I have of The Doors, not sure how deep I'll get today in the collection today, but there is always tomorrow.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Listening to J Geils 1972 live album, Full House.

From Apple Music write up...

In their heyday, Boston’s J. Geils Band were absolutely sell-out huge in the Motor City. They sounded like a sweat-drenched, hyper-confident R&B outfit, especially in their early-’70s days. All of that’s displayed here on their third album, which was recorded at Detroit’s Cinderella Ballroom in 1972. The set opens perfectly on a face-blasting workout of the old Contours R&B classic “First I Look at the Purse” (penned by Smokey Robinson). Then the group kick through numbingly great rebel-rousers, such as Otis Rush’s “Homework,” the band’s own “Whammer Jammer,” and the hard-grooving sermon of John Lee Hooker’s “Serves You Right to Suffer.” It finishes on the bluesy-gospel rave up “Lookin’ for a Love” (a cover of The Valentinos classic and a hit for the band). The album reveals just how incredible the six-piece were as a live act and how gifted frontman Peter Wolf was at entertaining the audience while making them feel like equal partners in the show (listen to the crowd participation on the proletariat anthem “Hard Drivin’ Man”). “Live” Full House was the band’s first gold album
iceport

Post by iceport »

That's an great story, eddot98!

And now you've jogged my memory! I saw them when I was 14 in 1976 at Chapin Hall of Williams College. (I had to look up the date.) They were still mostly a blues band then. That 1972 show you linked is a good representation for the band in '76, too. I was always more into the blues than my close circle of friends, and was turned onto the J. Geils Band when a neighbor's older brother played "Give It to Me", turned up loud when their parents were out. Never heard anything quite like it. Bloodshot (1973) is still probably my favorite J. Geils Band album. Anyway, nobody I knew was going, but on the night of the show I moseyed on down to the campus about a 15 minute walk from my house. They had started building the music center adjacent to Chapin Hall, and the whole side of the building was a construction site, with scaffolding along the side and covered from the elements. I'm not proud of it now, but I made a typical "townie" move that night and snuck into the show through that construction site. When I poked my head through an open window that I could reach by climbing the scaffolding, the band was already cranking and the students — legitimate ticket-holders — just kind of waved me in, enthusiastically, so in I hopped! Who was I to argue with that welcome? I don't remember the music as much as the volume. It was by far the loudest show I had ever heard. (That record was probably only broken by Gov't. Mule at the Iron Horse decades later.) One friend who lived maybe 1/3 mile away said he could hear the bass lines from inside his house.

They really were an awesome band.

Tickets to shows like this back then were typically about 5 bucks.

11/05/76 – Williams College Chapin Hall, Williamstown, MA
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Delaney and Bonnie and Friends with Eric Clapton Live (1970)

From Amazon...

On Tour with Eric Clapton is the third album by Delaney & Bonnie Bramlett, and their first on the Atco/Atlantic label (catalog no. SD 33-326). Released in June 1970, this album features Delaney and Bonnie's best-known touring band, including Eric Clapton, Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, Bobby Whitlock, Leon Russell, Dave Mason, and George Harrison (under his pseudonym "L'Angelo Misterioso"). Many of the players on this album would later go on to work with Clapton on his solo debut and on Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, and with Harrison on his vocal debut album All Things Must Pass.

Another album I owned in the early 70s but will admit I never knew George Harrison was on it. A great album I really liked but haven't listened to in ages. Rhino Records released a four CD boxed set in 2019 including the three full shows recorded in December 1969 from which the 1970 album drew its material.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:34 pm The Doors first album, self-titled, released 1967.

First of 12 CDs I have of The Doors, not sure how deep I'll get today in the collection today, but there is always tomorrow.

Broken Man 1999
This was the first record album I bought, in the summer of ‘67. It was either that or Surrealistic Pillow by the Airplane, I can’t remember which one now. I bought them both that summer. Anyway both are great albums.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

iceport wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:11 pm

That's an great story, eddot98!

And now you've jogged my memory! I saw them when I was 14 in 1976 at Chapin Hall of Williams College. (I had to look up the date.) They were still mostly a blues band then. That 1972 show you linked is a good representation for the band in '76, too. I was always more into the blues than my close circle of friends, and was turned onto the J. Geils Band when a neighbor's older brother played "Give It to Me", turned up loud when their parents were out. Never heard anything quite like it. Bloodshot (1973) is still probably my favorite J. Geils Band album. Anyway, nobody I knew was going, but on the night of the show I moseyed on down to the campus about a 15 minute walk from my house. They had started building the music center adjacent to Chapin Hall, and the whole side of the building was a construction site, with scaffolding along the side and covered from the elements. I'm not proud of it now, but I made a typical "townie" move that night and snuck into the show through that construction site. When I poked my head through an open window that I could reach by climbing the scaffolding, the band was already cranking and the students — legitimate ticket-holders — just kind of waved me in, enthusiastically, so in I hopped! Who was I to argue with that welcome? I don't remember the music as much as the volume. It was by far the loudest show I had ever heard. (That record was probably only broken by Gov't. Mule at the Iron Horse decades later.) One friend who lived maybe 1/3 mile away said he could hear the bass lines from inside his house.

They really were an awesome band.

Tickets to shows like this back then were typically about 5 bucks.

11/05/76 – Williams College Chapin Hall, Williamstown, MA
Great story. I’ve got lots and lots of concert stories, maybe not as adventurous as yours. I saw the New Riders of the Purple Sage at that same Chapin Hall on 11/16/1973 with DW (I also had to search for the date). We paid for our tickets; you just continued in the Woodstock tradition. DW grew up in North Adams and her parents were still there until recently (died from Covid-19 in their 90's). We had both just graduated from UMass in May of 1973. We still go up to NA occasionally to visit a niece and her family and to eat at the Barn in the new WIlliams Inn. If you have moved away and haven't seen it, they spared no expense building it and it shows. The last time that I went to the Iron Horse was to see John Hall of Orleans fame. Man, can that guy play guitar. Some time when Jethro Tull, Johnny Winter, or Spooky Tooth come up I will tell the story of Sophomore Sendoff in 1969 at UMass when a friend of mine ran the concert. Listening to J Geils Full House right now. Much better recording than the Holy Cross show.
iceport

Post by iceport »

eddot98 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:09 pm Great story. I’ve got lots and lots of concert stories, maybe not as adventurous as yours. I saw the New Riders of the Purple Sage at that same Chapin Hall on 11/16/1973 with DW (I also had to search for the date). We paid for our tickets; you just continued in the Woodstock tradition. DW grew up in North Adams and her parents were still there until recently (died from Covid-19 in their 90's). We had both just graduated from UMass in May of 1973. We still go up to NA occasionally to visit a niece and her family and to eat at the Barn in the new WIlliams Inn. If you have moved away and haven't seen it, they spared no expense building it and it shows. The last time that I went to the Iron Horse was to see John Hall of Orleans fame. Man, can that guy play guitar. Some time when Jethro Tull, Johnny Winter, or Spooky Tooth come up I will tell the story of Sophomore Sendoff in 1969 at UMass when a friend of mine ran the concert. Listening to J Geils Full House right now. Much better recording than the Holy Cross show.
Wow, it's great to hear! Small world! I saw the NRPS at what was NA State at the time, around a similar time frame, mid-1970s. [Yup: 1976-10-23] (Probably the show that galvanized my appreciation for the pedal-steel guitar. Buddy Cage, may he r.i.p., played it more like a musical siren than a corny part of old C&W music. Looking back, he really carried the band in a big way, musically.) My parents were both from NA and I still have family there. Haven't been to the new Williams Inn yet, and would like to try out the Barn, but I'm still wondering what might have become of the old ice house that was tucked back there. ( :wink: ) I used to know W'mst. like the back of my hand, but would probably not recognize the place now. It's been really great to see north county, and NA in particular, enjoy such an arts-based revival. Mass MOCA really sparked a revitalization that I had been skeptical would ever come about. Even if it took almost 20 years to really transform the area, I'm so glad to have been proven wrong. Their crown jewel musical event is the FreshGrass festival in September. If you're at all a fan of bluegrass in all it's varied forms and vintages, I highly recommend that one. I have yet to see one of wilco's Solid Sound Festivals there, but I might have to attend the one happening this year.

Anyway, thanks for your post. Looking forward to hearing more stories as the opportunities come up.

Now I've just got to hears some good ol' NRPS... This live album always reminds me of that show in the NA State gymnasium:

New Riders Of The Purple Sage - Home, Home On The Road (1974) (FULL LP) <--- vinyl

Some psychedelic pedal-steel: Death and Destruction.

That was sort of Buddy's answer to Jerry's epic, screaming experimentation on Dirty Business.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BHwannaB & iceport:

Re: Joseph Spence - Santa Claus is Coming to Town

LOL - here it is 3 days after Christmas and I'm still listening to this song, still stuck in my head.

FWIW, this song gets by far the most plays off the entire album on Amazon Music so many people must enjoy it! It makes me smile a lot - with his off key melodies, screwed up final chord, funny pronunciation ("sanny crauz") and vocal improv. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdWd9UG ... bk&index=8
iceport

Post by iceport »

^^^ Heh, heh. You'll be OK, JAZZISCOOL. It actually didn't stick with me this year, so I must be building up some immunity. :)

The worst part of it all was my GF getting annoyed with me doing randomly timed impressions of Joseph Spence's singing of the tune, which was really just the loop playing in my head leaking out once in a while...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

It’s Alright — Lil’ Ed & The Blues Imperials
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

iceport wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:37 pm ^^^ Heh, heh. You'll be OK, JAZZISCOOL. It actually didn't stick with me this year, so I must be building up some immunity. :)

The worst part of it all was my GF getting annoyed with me doing randomly timed impressions of Joseph Spence's singing of the tune, which was really just the loop playing in my head leaking out once in a while...
LOL. :beer
iceport

Post by iceport »

Eli West - Tapered Point of Stone - 2021

Read a brief reference to this artist/album in the press and decided to look him up. So glad I did! I love the instrumentals, especially. His compositions sound both traditional and fresh at the same time. Very nice, natural-sounding production.

Recorded in 2020, just before everything shut down, the album brings together West’s favored quartet of musicians: Andrew Marlin (Mandolin Orange) on mandolin, Christian Sedelmeyer (Jerry Douglas) on fiddle, himself on mandolin, guitar, and banjo, and Clint Mullican (Mandolin Orange) on bass. This is the third album this quartet has built, including solo albums for Marlin and Sedelmeyer, and at this point they operate on a near-magical wavelength. As both a noted arranger, songwriter, performer, and composer, West has been crafting a Northwest-centric roots music aesthetic through earlier collaborations with Cahalen Morrison and John Reischman, and recordings with Bill Frisell and Dori Freeman.

https://elidoes.bandcamp.com/album/tape ... t-of-stone
BHwannaB

Post by BHwannaB »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:13 pm BHwannaB & iceport:

LOL - here it is 3 days after Christmas and I'm still listening to this song, still stuck in my head.

FWIW, this song gets by far the most plays off the entire album on Amazon Music so many people must enjoy it! It makes me smile a lot - with his off key melodies, screwed up final chord, funny pronunciation ("sanny crauz") and vocal improv. :D

TLDR: "Its like Satan is trying to play Christmas music!!"

We have started a new tradition where we queue up songs during holiday gatherings to listen to as we are hanging out. I really had this thread in mind when we started and my turn came to queue up a song. I found the above mentioned song but could not do it....the side effect of not doing it was I started laughing uncontrollable and needed to leave the room to get a grip.

Later when my family asked what got into me I played them the song. 10 secs in and they asked me to stop it and again I started laughing...tears running down my face. Someone commented that it is like "Satan tried to play xmas music". I am paraphrasing as i was laughing too hard to remember the exact words but this song brought me more joy this holiday season than any other. So....thanks again to you all and Mr. Spence! Cheers!! :beer
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BHwannaB wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:53 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:13 pm BHwannaB & iceport:

TLDR: "Its like Satan is trying to play Christmas music!!"

We have started a new tradition where we queue up songs during holiday gatherings to listen to as we are hanging out. I really had this thread in mind when we started and my turn came to queue up a song. I found the above mentioned song but could not do it....the side effect of not doing it was I started laughing uncontrollable and needed to leave the room to get a grip.

Later when my family asked what got into me I played them the song. 10 secs in and they asked me to stop it and again I started laughing...tears running down my face. Someone commented that it is like "Satan tried to play xmas music". I am paraphrasing as i was laughing too hard to remember the exact words but this song brought me more joy this holiday season than any other. So....thanks again to you all and Mr. Spence! Cheers!! :beer
LOL! What a funny story! He is a unique artist! :beer
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Siegel-Schwall Reunion Concert — The Siegel-Schwall Band
Image These guys are good.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:54 pm The Siegel-Schwall Reunion Concert — The Siegel-Schwall Band
Image These guys are good.
Nice!
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:54 pm The Siegel-Schwall Reunion Concert — The Siegel-Schwall Band

These guys are good.
Will check them out. Yeah, that's good stuff. The mix of tunes keeps it interesting. Something about the singing makes me think of David Bromberg — a lot. The harmonica playing just screams out Chicago blues.

Now spinning: Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin down... - 2015

I don't know much of KV's music, but I do like this album very much — when in the right mood. He elevates aimlessness to a revered quality. :)

This is a nice live set with Courtney Barnett: Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile - Sea Lice by the Seaside (Live - Full Set)
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Green Onions by Booker T and the MG’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oox9bJaGJ8

A live version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRq6Xb3Zx7I

Interesting webpage about the song here:

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/booker- ... een-onions

Another version with Booker T live at Daryl’s house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVAFjvRBswY

Another version that I like by Roy Buchanan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UbvOaTJcKQ
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:50 pm Green Onions by Booker T and the MG’s

A live version:

Great tune! Though I’m very fond of the original the Buchanan version is compelling. And at Daryl’s house the GoPro mounted at the end of the guy’s guitar gives an interesting visual effect.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Erik Satie: Alexandre Tharaud
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

If you like the GoPro, check out "THE MAGNET: Smartphone Camera Mount for Guitar". I haven't donated, but I hope it catches on.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/troygrady/ ... ref=54r1h6
________

Here it is being demonstrated. She was the International Bluegrass Music Association Guitar Player of the Year in '17 and '18.
Born in '93 fwiw.

"Molly Tuttle - White Freightliner Blues and Rhythm Lead Switching"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

^^^ Thanks, I’ll check it out.

Now listening to Romantic French Music For Guitar and Orchestra, selections from Debussy, Fauré, and Satie, performed by the Czecho-Slovak State Philharmonic Orchestra. Delightful stuff!
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:50 pm Green Onions by Booker T and the MG’s

A live version:

Great song! Love both the organ intro and the guitar solos. Sax solo was also good on Daryl's house.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Joe Walsh Live at Daryl’s House:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X27m99YkOb4

I’m not a fan of Hall and Oates, but Daryl does bring some great acts to his house and Joe Walsh brings it for this show. I saw the James Gang in South Deerfield, MA in March of 1970, the exact date escapes me. A search yields 3 possible dates - March 20, 21, or 22. It probably was the 20th because the sound people were having trouble with the guitar on Funk 48 or was it 49? Joe started it several times and went into an extended solo introduction when the sound finally was right. The venue was called the Phineas, formerly the Woodrose Ballroom. It was a no seat venue and I got way up front, so close that I could see all of Joe’s crazy faces. Here’s an article about the Woodrose Ballroom and some of the acts that were there:

https://www.mmone.org/the-woodrose-ballroom/amp/

I bought the James Gang’s first album and I was hooked on Joe and the boys; who else would cover Bluebird and Lost Woman on the same album?

I’m not sure if I attended any other shows at the Phineas, but I did make it to the Paramount a few times. Those were the days when one could see big name acts at small venues for very little money. No dancers, no costume changes, no BS.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

U2 - New Year’s Day. What else?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYCyCaK_5k

The story behind the lyrics:

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/en ... rs-day.amp

Kind of a dumb video. Can you imagine Bono and the band getting talked into filming this now? What young bands will do to get their music out there.