What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
novicemoney

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by novicemoney »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:31 am
novicemoney wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:43 am Big Elmore James fan. A favorite track of mine (not on this album) is "TV Mama" with Big Joe Turner on vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT2qlYipLnM
Yes, great song. And on the same page check this one out: Sho Nuff I Do
Elmore James was covered by many blues artists, here is the great Duane Allman and the Allman Brothers band with "Done Somebody Wrong":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjhsLblrctI

Robert Maxwell covering "Anna Lee" in the "Maxwell Street Medly":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YppAi-L1Gp8

A tremendous version of the "Sky is Crying" by Stevie Ray Vaughn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbHS8ye ... UT&index=2
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

novicemoney wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:35 am Elmore James was covered by many blues artists,
Those are good covers. I’m partial to Stevie Ray. I think Clapton and Cream covered him too.

I first became aware of Elmore James in 1970 when Geo. Harrison mentioned him in the song “For You Blue” on The Beatles “Let it Be” album. I’d never heard his name before that. So The Beatles were also fans.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

A Beard of Stars — Tyrannosaurus Rex
https://youtu.be/FhvQUJZtgDo
Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake — Small Faces
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogdens'_Nut_Gone_Flake
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

"Very," by the Pet Shop Boys.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Talfred

Post by Talfred »

Daniel Barenboim: Prelude to Act 1, Lohengrin
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm
iceport wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 am I still listen almost exclusively to albums. There are lots of individual songs I might like, but if the whole albums don't resonate with me, I don't play them. I actually wouldn't know where to begin creating my own playlist by picking and choosing favorite individual tracks from favorite artists. Isn't that a tremendous amount of work?
I don’t use playlists either. I grew up on 45s and top-40 AM, then later switched exclusively to LPs and “underground” FM radio, and now I only stream albums. I don’t even play CDs anymore. Why would I? All my CDs are available streaming. I do have a ton of bootlegs but I rarely play them.
I also don’t make and use playlists, per se. My listening progression is very similar to yours, probably a lot of us of a certain age followed this progression. What I oftentimes do is use a little program (batch file?) that I downloaded from the Internet somewhere that will randomly choose a number of songs that I pick from directories that I indicate and load them on a USB drive. I then pop that USB drive into the car stereo and listen. If I don’t like a song (that doesn’t happen too often, either it’s a poorly recorded bootleg or just some album filler), I just skip it. I am surprised by some of the selections and sometimes wonder if I really own a particular song.
Currently, I copied about 250 Rolling Stones legitimate releases and bootlegs that include concerts and studio sessions. I will only listen to soundboard recordings, no audience recordings. The one that played today was the Complete Woodstock Rehearsals. Most of the songs are fairly complete run throughs of songs for the 1978 tour. Here’s some info on the sessions:
https://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/ ... -oms001-4/
iceport

Post by iceport »

eddot98 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:42 pm
Nicolas wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm
iceport wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 am I still listen almost exclusively to albums. There are lots of individual songs I might like, but if the whole albums don't resonate with me, I don't play them. I actually wouldn't know where to begin creating my own playlist by picking and choosing favorite individual tracks from favorite artists. Isn't that a tremendous amount of work?
I don’t use playlists either. I grew up on 45s and top-40 AM, then later switched exclusively to LPs and “underground” FM radio, and now I only stream albums. I don’t even play CDs anymore. Why would I? All my CDs are available streaming. I do have a ton of bootlegs but I rarely play them.
I also don’t make and use playlists, per se. My listening progression is very similar to yours, probably a lot of us of a certain age followed this progression. What I oftentimes do is use a little program (batch file?) that I downloaded from the Internet somewhere that will randomly choose a number of songs that I pick from directories that I indicate and load them on a USB drive. I then pop that USB drive into the car stereo and listen. If I don’t like a song (that doesn’t happen too often, either it’s a poorly recorded bootleg or just some album filler), I just skip it. I am surprised by some of the selections and sometimes wonder if I really own a particular song.
This is interesting. I'm very curious how other people listen to music. (I really want to start a separate thread to get into it deeper.)

I feel a little like a stranded dinosaur. Many ways of listening to music have come and gone before I ever even tried them out. I grew up in the 70s, my teenage years, listening to albums. I'd rifle through my stack either looking for a pick I had in mind, or just browsing to see what struck a chord in that moment. At times, I'd be disappointed that the roughly 2-foot deep stack seemed to be all "played out" to me.

Never used a walkman or discman. Was slow to adopt CDs. Played tons of bootleg GD tapes, but rarely if ever took the effort to make my own mix tapes (though I'd play ones made by others occasionally). Never owned a smartphone until I was 56, so didn't have that portable experience. (Headphones/earbuds are way too distracting to me, anyway.) Couldn't listen to music at work. Played mostly tapes and CDs in the car, and used a 6-disc changer under the seat before they started coming out with in-dash versions. Don't subscribe to any paid streaming services, though I listen through spotify and pandora once in a while.

Now I listen almost exclusively to YouTube for free (Adblock Plus works wonders there) and the occasional CD.

I feel like I've come back full circle: Now I listen to my new digital "album collection" on YouTube. I look for artists' own playlists where they've recreated their albums in nice quality audio, and I save those playlists in a big collection of bookmarks. When I want to hear some music, I just scan the bookmark list for what feels good in the moment.

The big difference now is that my new digital album collection is free, and whenever I feel like hearing something new, I just go browsing for more album playlists to adopt.

However, a side effect of this progression is that I can't get comfortable picking and choosing individual songs to play. The thought of creating a playlist of my own sounds like too much work. Even if I overcame that hurdle, I doubt very much I'd like a "random play" option very much. I really like the album format, and listening to the artists' own "playlists" for 35-45 minutes at a time, then choosing another. If I put on a vinyl album that I haven't heard in 30 years, I'll already be anticipating the first few chords of each track before it starts playing, the album is so ingrained in my memory. I think I'm just hopelessly stuck in my ways...
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
MrMars

Post by MrMars »

Jason Isbell's fantasticly gritty blues version with great slide work of Metallica's Sad But True.

https://youtu.be/LeeWwY2IpcM
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

"Eponymous," by R.E.M.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’m listening to The Doors’ studio albums in sequence, today being the 50th anniversary of Jim Morrison’s death. Such a great band.

Their first album was the first I’d ever bought, in the summer of 1967. It was either that or Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane, I don’t remember which one anymore. I never saw them live but my sister did. But I did have a close encounter with Morrison in the Fall of 1968. I was walking down a concourse at O’Hare Field in Chicago when Morrison walked right past me the other way. I immediately recognized him. I looked back to see where he was walking to and I saw the other Doors members at a gate. Later I found out they were returning from their European tour.

I remember I was in Golden Gate Park in S.F. When I learned of his death. While walking back to our place in the Tenderloin all the record stores were blasting The Doors songs out into the streets.

In 1984 I was on a plane flying back from London and was reading William Blake. Much to my surprise I found lyrics in one of his poems to “End of the Night” by The Doors. I had no idea.

Later I visited his grave at Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris.
iceport

Post by iceport »

^^^^ Awesome story! Thanks, Nicolas.

(Now we know at least part of the reason for your picks today. 8-) :beer )
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Cluck Old Hen, Alison Kraus and Union Station
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I just listened to DH doing his opera lesson via Zoom.

Then, he had the opportunity to listen to my lesson. :shock:

(I think we are really too old... can't teach an old dog new tricks, or something like that!
But we have an *incredibly* patient teacher, who often takes students who aren't trying at all to go professional. He sets up recitals at the Conservatory a couple of times a year for his students, and the "very appreciative" audience is entirely friends, family, and his other students. :wink: )

But we have fun, and it's worked great during the pandemic.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

You Send Me sung by Otis Redding
AA: 38/43/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds | DW retired 2019, I retired 2022, "it'll be fine"
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

My wife and I had to drive up to San Francisco yesterday - our first time since COVID. I queued up some early Boz Scaggs to play in the car. It's not the typical 60s SF sound, but his group with the small horn section (e.g. We Were Always Sweethearts , I'll Be Long Gone) was part of that rich SF music scene.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

LinearRange wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:26 pm My wife and I had to drive up to San Francisco yesterday - our first time since COVID. I queued up some early Boz Scaggs to play in the car. It's not the typical 60s SF sound, but his group with the small horn section (e.g. We Were Always Sweethearts , I'll Be Long Gone) was part of that rich SF music scene.
I recommend checking out Scaggs's 2015 album, "A Fool to Care."
JDave

Post by JDave »

The ultra ultra eccentric three woman power pop punk band from Osaka, Japan - Shonen Knife. Best album is "Osaka Ramones".
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

JDave wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:07 pm The ultra ultra eccentric three woman power pop punk band from Osaka, Japan - Shonen Knife. Best album is "Osaka Ramones".
Good stuff — I like it.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Press listen live top of the page
https://singingnews.com/radio/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Rockin’ With Wanda — Wanda Jackson
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... JF75uQh3Pg
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

The Kinks Greatest Hits
You Really Got Me and Lola were so far ahead of their times.
Brilliant social commentary lyrics by Ray Davies and tight band.
iceport

Post by iceport »

tenkuky wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:27 pm The Kinks Greatest Hits
Yeah, definitely a great band! One of the best bands my university ever brought to campus while I was there. What a phenomenal live show! (1983-ish?) I should get more familiar with their whole catalog...
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

"Rare Bird Alert" - Steve Martin with the Steep Canyon Rangers
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

J.S. Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, Vol. 2 — Lucy van Dael
https://youtu.be/iEu8a4OkIgM
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Opus 43 — by Sergei Rachmaninoff. Performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy, André Previn & London Symphony Orchestra
https://youtu.be/Jt3p_cUa0Ac
Beautiful stuff.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Look Sharp!, by Joe Jackson.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Ruler of My Heart —Irma Thomas, Soul Queen of New Orleans https://youtu.be/stOIOwVtY-8
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:24 am In 1984 I was on a plane flying back from London and was reading William Blake. Much to my surprise I found lyrics in one of his poems to “End of the Night” by The Doors. I had no idea.
The very name "The Doors" is also from Blake.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Halicar wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:25 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:24 am In 1984 I was on a plane flying back from London and was reading William Blake. Much to my surprise I found lyrics in one of his poems to “End of the Night” by The Doors. I had no idea.
The very name "The Doors" is also from Blake.
Yes, you’re right.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Take This Hammer - The Complete RCA Victor Recordings — Lead Belly
scintillator

Post by scintillator »

Peter Attia's "The Drive" Podcast episode #151 – Alex Hutchinson, Ph.D.: Translating the science of endurance and extreme human performance

Getting me in the mood for the track events at the Olympics. They talk about the world-record progression in the mile, training techniques, and other running stuff for those interested.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

iceport wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:11 pm
Yeah, definitely a great band! One of the best bands my university ever brought to campus while I was there. What a phenomenal live show! (1983-ish?) I should get more familiar with their whole catalog...
I would suggest starting with Arthur, one of my all time favorites, then try Village Green Preservation Society. If you want to dive deeper into their back catalogue, try Muswell Hillbillies, Face to Face, and Something Else. While they had some great songs after that period, IMHO this time period was their best. Also check out Ray Davies’ The Storyteller - the start of the Unplugged craze. I saw the Storyteller tour in a small venue in Stockbridge, MA in 1996 and still have great memories of it.
One of my favorite Ray Davies lines “Take me back to those Black Hills that I have never seen.” from Muswell Hillbilly.
iceport

Post by iceport »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:57 am
iceport wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:11 pm
I would suggest starting with Arthur, one of my all time favorites, then try Village Green Preservation Society. If you want to dive deeper into their back catalogue, try Muswell Hillbillies, Face to Face, and Something Else. While they had some great songs after that period, IMHO this time period was their best. Also check out Ray Davies’ The Storyteller - the start of the Unplugged craze. I saw the Storyteller tour in a small venue in Stockbridge, MA in 1996 and still have great memories of it.
One of my favorite Ray Davies lines “Take me back to those Black Hills that I have never seen.” from Muswell Hillbilly.
Oh, thank you for this!

I actually scanned their discography, not knowing where to begin, and listened to Everybody's in Show-Biz all the way through a few days ago. I liked the first studio part well enough, but really found the live stuff from Carnegie Hall to be much more enjoyable. They really were a great live band. I'll listen to some of the slightly older stuff you call out here. They have a fairly large presence on YouTube. Thank you for the tip!

Stockbridge, MA brings back memories! I've got a lots of very fond memories from that neck of the woods, like the down and dirty shows at the Music Inn in Lenox in the mid-70s when I was probably just a bit too young for that sort of thing :shock: (the Band in original form, Muddy Waters, among others), to the more buttoned-down popular artist shows next door at Tanglewood. And a bit to the west were great shows at Bucksteep Manor, in Washington, MA. And then there was John Prine at the recently renovated Mahaiwe in Great Barrington in the early 80s. Lots of great music in south Berkshire County!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:54 pm Stockbridge, MA brings back memories!
Stockbridge is where Arlo Guthrie was famously arrested for littering. https://www.massmoments.org/moment-deta ... ering.html
Talfred

Post by Talfred »

"Tanya" by Dexter Gordon from the One Flight Up album.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Talfred wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:17 pm "Tanya" by Dexter Gordon from the One Flight Up album.
Dexter is awesome. :happy
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:41 pm
Stockbridge is where Arlo Guthrie was famously arrested for littering. https://www.massmoments.org/moment-deta ... ering.html
I’ve been to the Guthrie Center, the church where the trash was generated that got Arlo into trouble, several times, mostly for concerts. Alice Brock had a few restaurants over the years and I did get anything that I wanted as long as it was on the menu. Arlo’s Shenandoah band mates plus his daughter Sara are still a part of the local music scene.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:27 pm
I’ve been to the Guthrie Center, the church where the trash was generated that got Arlo into trouble, several times, mostly for concerts. Alice Brock had a few restaurants over the years and I did get anything that I wanted as long as it was on the menu. Arlo’s Shenandoah band mates plus his daughter Sara are still a part of the local music scene.
Interesting, I’ve never been there. I understand that Arlo has now retired from performing. As chance would have it, today is Arlo’s 74th birthday. https://www.beachamjournal.com/journal/ ... today.html

Now listening to Basket of Light by Pentangle. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwn6 ... m_g41jULvc
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Well, *now*, I've got an earworm going with Alice's Restaurant.

I was really enjoying the ballet music from Swan Lake's Act 3 Pas de Deux, along with the visual imagery of Fonteyn and Nureyev. (Yeah, we are big time into those two these days. They do the impossible, as far as we are concerned.)
It seems that "eyeworm" is more of a nasty medical term...?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:04 am
Interesting, I’ve never been there. I understand that Arlo has now retired from performing. As chance would have it, today is Arlo’s 74th birthday. https://www.beachamjournal.com/journal/ ... today.html
I've never been to the Guthrie Center, either. However, I think I've been to Officer Obie's house. A pair of good friends got married to each other in the mid-80s and bought their first house together, as young folks often do when they mature into adults. As it turned out — according to them — the house they bought had been owned by Officer Obanhein — aka "Officer Obie" of Alice's Restaurant fame. They even found a cop's hat in the back of a high closet shelf. I never did a title search, but I really have no reason to believe they made it all up.

In looking to see when Officer Obanhein passed away, I was gratified to read about the fondness that had developed in real life between the antagonists caricatured in the song.

I saw Arlo Guthrie and Shenandoah only once live, in a college field house with such horrendously bad acoustics that to this day all I remember of it is the booming echos of the drum beats...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

iceport wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:54 pm I think I've been to Officer Obie's house. A pair of good friends got married to each other in the mid-80s and bought their first house together, as young folks often do when they mature into adults. As it turned out — according to them — the house they bought had been owned by Officer Obanhein — aka "Officer Obie" of Alice's Restaurant fame. They even found a cop's hat in the back of a high closet shelf. I never did a title search, but I really have no reason to believe they made it all up.
Good story, iceport. I’d like to have seen the abstract. Most houses came with them back in the 80s, mine did. Maybe the house would be worth something extra to a music lover though it’s admittedly a tenuous connection (I jest). :D Both of Bob Dylan’s boyhood homes were sold to the same Dylan fan, Bill Pagel. https://www.startribune.com/ultimate-co ... 570660742/

Now listening to Folksinger by Dave Van Ronk
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqIr ... 2gfzLTYbnQ
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Willie Colon - SALSA
Idilio de Amor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKApCTSVppU
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Something Good with Peter Noone (Herman of Herman’s Hermits, as he is likely to say) on SiriusXM 60’s on 6. It’s on for 3 hours almost every Saturday at 5:00 pm and Sunday at 2:00 pm. For someone of the right age, he is hilarious. He told a story about the recording of Sam Cooke’s Wonderful World with Mickey Most as Producer and Jimmy Page on guitar that was quite funny. He plays some great songs, some good songs, and some really weird songs. DW and I really enjoy listening to his show.
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

eddot98 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:32 pm Something Good with Peter Noone (Herman of Herman’s Hermits, as he is likely to say) on SiriusXM 60’s on 6. It’s on for 3 hours almost every Saturday at 5:00 pm and Sunday at 2:00 pm. For someone of the right age, he is hilarious. He told a story about the recording of Sam Cooke’s Wonderful World with Mickey Most as Producer and Jimmy Page on guitar that was quite funny. He plays some great songs, some good songs, and some really weird songs. DW and I really enjoy listening to his show.
We've seen Peter several times in concerts at local (Oklahoma) casinos, though not in the last couple of years. He's a terrific performer, very charming and funny.
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Death Don’t Have No Mercy — Reverend Gary Davis
https://youtu.be/6W9PuLcoZMM
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Thom Bresh

On Larry’s Country Diner

Wow, just wow.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

MrMars wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:53 pm Jason Isbell's fantasticly gritty blues version with great slide work of Metallica's Sad But True.

Just recently started listening to JI... kinda funny since I lived not far from where he grew up!
Indexed Fully!
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:32 pm
iceport wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:54 pm I think I've been to Officer Obie's house. A pair of good friends got married to each other in the mid-80s and bought their first house together, as young folks often do when they mature into adults. As it turned out — according to them — the house they bought had been owned by Officer Obanhein — aka "Officer Obie" of Alice's Restaurant fame. They even found a cop's hat in the back of a high closet shelf. I never did a title search, but I really have no reason to believe they made it all up.
Good story, iceport. I’d like to have seen the abstract. Most houses came with them back in the 80s, mine did. Maybe the house would be worth something extra to a music lover though it’s admittedly a tenuous connection (I jest). :D
Sadly, the union didn't last (which actually broke my heart), and the house was sold off long ago. I was only there a handful of times. (It might have been the late 80s/even early 90s. For some reason I don't have the time frame pinned down in my generally foggy memory.)

In a nod to the old Music Inn days, where I could mill around the crowd rub elbows (well, almost) with David Bromberg, I'm listening to Bromberg's debut album.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Streaming Johnny Winter via Amazon Music. Man, he could play a guitar!

He is one of two musicians I regret never seeing in concert, other being Tom Petty.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
MrMars

Post by MrMars »

arthurdawg wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:18 am
MrMars wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:53 pm Jason Isbell's fantasticly gritty blues version with great slide work of Metallica's Sad But True.

Just recently started listening to JI... kinda funny since I lived not far from where he grew up!
he's quite good. I have a hard time imagining somebody not liking him.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Talking Timbuktu - Ry Cooder & Ali Farka Toure
Just wow, a great collaboration.
Every song is a gem, but I am partial to Soukora, calms me down instantly when I'm upset :twisted:
https://www.amazon.com/Talking-Timbuktu ... B00000062H