What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Nicolas

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by Nicolas »

Hyde Park ‘69 — Blind Faith, their first gig, 7 June 1969.
Electric Music For the Mind and Body — Country Joe & the Fish, their drummer Chicken Hirsh died last month. https://bestclassicbands.com/gary-chick ... h-8-20-21/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Sidewinder — Lee Morgan. Clint Eastwood’s favorite jazz album.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

This isn't music, but podcast...

Peter Attia -- The Drive Podcast
My edgy alternative health guy recommended this, and I would just like to quit my job and listen to it.
I queried and sorted the Covid episodes first because I want to listen to his in-depth interviews with:

--Peter Hotez, MD, PhD, Dean for the National School of Tropical Medicine Baylor College of Medicine
--Michael Osterholm, PhD, Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota
--Paul Offit, MD, pediatrician specializing in infectious diseases and expert in virology and vaccine development; Serves on FDA comittee overseeing and evaluating Covid vaccines

Next, I want to get into his interviews with people studying low-dosing of rapamycin and metformin in longevity research.

Guy is super-interesting, sample here:
https://peterattiamd.com/framework-for- ... ium=email2

tamara
Portfolio here: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=345748&p=5936072#p5936072
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Philadelphia Eagles battling Atlanta Falcons in background!

And Devonta Smith just had his first NFL touchdown of the 1st series of the 1st game to start the 2021 season!

💪
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Same here! Except I'm listening to Philly's own local announcers Merrill Reese and Mike Quick on radio WIP 94.1 FM. :beer
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 am The Sidewinder — Lee Morgan. Clint Eastwood’s favorite jazz album.
Great tune (& album)! :beer
Last edited by JAZZISCOOL on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlienGrrrl

Post by AlienGrrrl »

tenkuky wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:01 am
AlienGrrrl wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:08 am . . . ABBA . . .
I am going back and re-listening to their old hits now.
Several things I discovered now as an adult:
1. Their song composition and structure is superb! Changing time and key signatures, use of innovative interplay of instruments, voices and spaces.
2. The harmonies are wonderful, Agnetha and Frida's voices are distinct yet overlap so well.
3. They are/were well regarded by peers: no less than Pete Townshend and John Lennon admired their pop writing ability and apparently QE2 likes Dancing Queen :wink:

My faves are the introspective ones: Name of the Game, Winner Takes it All, Knowing Me Knowing You.

And yes, Abba songs are like Lay's Potato Chips, "you can't stop at one" :beer
I've never grown tired of listening to ABBA, and there's always something new to discover in their songs! And agreed, "you can't stop at one" so anytime I decide to listen to an ABBA song it leads to an extended ABBA binge. It would be impossible for me to pick a favorite, there's just too many good ones. I've always thought the Visitors is strangely under-rated.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

Jim Croce - Lost Time in a Bottle
Bringing back memories…..
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Born to Sing the Blues — Shirley Bassey, her first album (1957).
The Fabulous Shirley Bassey (1959)
What a singer.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Listening to Paul Simon's 1973 album "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" --- an eclectic mix of gospel, Dixieland jazz, folk. To me, some of the cuts foreshadow his album "Graceland" coming many years later. I think "American Tune" might be his best piece of songwriting --- a tall order given everything he has written.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _T6_yaSaNR
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Ellington at Newport — Duke Ellington & His Orchestra (July 7, 1956). Documents the revival of Ellington’s career at the Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI. It put him on the cover of Time Magazine. It includes the number Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue. The father of both the Newport Jazz and Folk festivals, George Wein, died yesterday in NYC at 95.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:40 am The Sidewinder — Lee Morgan. Clint Eastwood’s favorite jazz album.
One of my favorites too.

Currently spinning Larry Young Into Somethin' on the turntable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_Somethin%27
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Couldn't sleep one night so checked out some music online and found these from West Side Story, the great "Mambo" number from a couple of percussionist viewpoints. Listened to it a few times and then really couldn't get to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1rA8v13SY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPibH4fk90
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I'm listening to Norm Macdonald. The comedian just passed away at the age of 61. A very funny man.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Right now it is The B52s Time Capsule: Songs for a Future Generation.

Quirky, but fun!

Next up: Billy Joel's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 and 2, and River of Dreams.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

cbeck wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm
heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am
cbeck wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:26 pm WSJ Reporter John Carreyroo, who blew up the Theranos scam, is hosting a current podcast series on the Elizabeth Holmes trial which is currently in progress. What he has dug up is fascinating as is the psychopath Holmes.

https://player.fm/series/bad-blood-the-final-chapter
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I read his book a few years ago. I've seen the docudrama and the documentary. All unbelievable, and it's getting weirder as they jockey in the courts.

I believe I have not heard an "I'm sorry" from anyone involved, from Holmes, to Kissinger, Schultz, Rupert Murdoch, Boies, but esp Holmes. No remorse or apology from anyone.

Carreyroo, the WSJ reporter, deserves kudos for his work.
Wait til you hear Carreyrou's latest, including childbirth as a legal tactic, fake Ebola tests, phantom audited financials, and best of all, "Smart people picked off Mado[ff], but not you." You'll never hear an apology from any on that list, most of whom are either borderline or out-and-out psychopaths. However, you may see some efforts at reputational repair, such as by that thug David Boies, who is now representing Virginia Giuffre in her lawsuit against Prince Andrew pro bono.

I am hoping that she gets the full twenty years, but think ten is more likely. But she is going to testify and face the full brunt of cross examination.
I've listened to all episodes posted so far. It's riveting for me. Carreyrou has full command of the facts and history, and tells a believable damning story using those and also audio and transcripts of her dealings. I'm waiting for the next episode.

Unfortunately no one comes off well. Yes, he speculates on her pregnancy/childbirth as tactics to first delay the trial and now to perhaps influence any verdict. Your other references above are well done as well.

Curiously I find no mention of the podcasts in the WSJ.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

heartwood wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:00 pm
cbeck wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm
heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am
cbeck wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:26 pm WSJ Reporter John Carreyroo, who blew up the Theranos scam, is hosting a current podcast series on the Elizabeth Holmes trial which is currently in progress. What he has dug up is fascinating as is the psychopath Holmes.

https://player.fm/series/bad-blood-the-final-chapter
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I read his book a few years ago. I've seen the docudrama and the documentary. All unbelievable, and it's getting weirder as they jockey in the courts.

I believe I have not heard an "I'm sorry" from anyone involved, from Holmes, to Kissinger, Schultz, Rupert Murdoch, Boies, but esp Holmes. No remorse or apology from anyone.

Carreyroo, the WSJ reporter, deserves kudos for his work.
Wait til you hear Carreyrou's latest, including childbirth as a legal tactic, fake Ebola tests, phantom audited financials, and best of all, "Smart people picked off Mado[ff], but not you." You'll never hear an apology from any on that list, most of whom are either borderline or out-and-out psychopaths. However, you may see some efforts at reputational repair, such as by that thug David Boies, who is now representing Virginia Giuffre in her lawsuit against Prince Andrew pro bono.

I am hoping that she gets the full twenty years, but think ten is more likely. But she is going to testify and face the full brunt of cross examination.
I've listened to all episodes posted so far. It's riveting for me. Carreyrou has full command of the facts and history, and tells a believable damning story using those and also audio and transcripts of her dealings. I'm waiting for the next episode.

Unfortunately no one comes off well. Yes, he speculates on her pregnancy/childbirth as tactics to first delay the trial and now to perhaps influence any verdict. Your other references above are well done as well.

Curiously I find no mention of the podcasts in the WSJ.
Speaking of the WSJ one of the interesting factoids is that as Carreyrou was preparing his first article on Theranos for publication in the WSJ in 2015, Holmes got wind of it and tried to get Rupert Murdoch to shut it down. Even though Murdoch had personally invested $125 million he declined to stop Carreyrou's investigation, the article was published, and Murdoch's stake in Theranos evaporated as it was always destined to do. Not what I would have expected of Murdoch.

Did you know that for the legal services that Boies was providing Theranos, he was getting paid in stock? She even suckered Boies himself.

The trial is expected to take three months!
rob

Post by rob »

Been on a Black Sorrows binge today....

This is Harley & Rose but they have some great songs....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Springtime in New York: Bootleg Series Volume 16 (1980-1985) — Bob Dylan, released today. The compilation includes tour rehearsals, and studio outtakes from the albums Shot of Love, Infidels, and Empire Burlesque. Also some live performances. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bootl ... _1980–1985
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Aloha Friday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTfIGSnApD0

"Aloha Friday, no work till Monday!"
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

heartwood wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 pm Aloha Friday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTfIGSnApD0

"Aloha Friday, no work till Monday!"
I am pau hana, putting on Henry Kapono channel on Pandora for a while.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Blows Against the Empire — Jefferson Starship & Paul Kantner
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Kendrick Lamar and Wu-Tang Clan
Light weight baby!
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

bfeenix44:

Re: Peter Attia -- The Drive Podcast

I've listened to a few of his podcasts. He has very interesting guests and asks good questions.
Sonic1968

Post by Sonic1968 »

Ted Nugent and AC DC
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Quadrophenia — The Who
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Jason Aldean & Carrie Underwood - If I Didn't Love You (Single)
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

TOPBLUES on Internet Radio

Good selection of blues tunes. Right now "Wild Child Butler - These Mean Old Blues". No commercials (unlike free version of Spotify). :happy

https://www.internet-radio.com/station/topblues/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Happy Trails — Quicksilver Messenger Service
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:35 pm TOPBLUES on Internet Radio

Good selection of blues tunes. Right now "Wild Child Butler - These Mean Old Blues". No commercials (unlike free version of Spotify). :happy

https://www.internet-radio.com/station/topblues/
Thanks! That is indeed a good station. I added the station to my playlist. My player is VLC media player which supports network streams.

Later this evening, I'll be listening to my usual Saturday Night Blues Show with Jonny Meister on XPN.org. (I'd link to the September 18, 2021 show, but the website is messed up right now.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
iceport

Post by iceport »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:12 pm My player is VLC media player which supports network streams.
Thanks for that tidbit! I needed an alternative media player when a DVD I bought from a PBS affiliate wouldn't play on any of the players that came loaded on my 7-year-old PC. I came across VLC media player in a few online reviews, and it looked safe, but my assessment on that is pretty uninformed. Now I feel reassured. LadyGeek using it is one of the strongest endorsements around!

Now I might have to see what else it can do, besides playing DVDs...
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:08 pm Happy Trails — Quicksilver Messenger Service
Wow, that brings back memories. The twin guitars of John Cipollina and Gary Duncan. I must have listened to that album a thousand times.
For me now it’s Apache by Jorgensen Ingman.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Podcast: The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill
It documents the fall of a very popular preacher of a mega church in the West. It also devotes some episodes to the rise of mega churches.
Zonian59

Post by Zonian59 »

Many of my retired friends say they are listening to the DW now since she's the head of household and breadwinner. :wink:
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

eddot98 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:26 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:08 pm Happy Trails — Quicksilver Messenger Service
Wow, that brings back memories. The twin guitars of John Cipollina and Gary Duncan. I must have listened to that album a thousand times.
For me now it’s Apache by Jorgensen Ingman.
Agreed, a great band. I saw them perform in late 1970 when Dino Valente was back with the band. I remember he held up a copy of the book Future Shock by Alvin Toffler and asked if anyone had read it, no-one had! That’s about all I remember of that show. Funny sometimes the things we remember.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

iceport wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:00 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:12 pm My player is VLC media player which supports network streams.
Thanks for that tidbit! I needed an alternative media player when a DVD I bought from a PBS affiliate wouldn't play on any of the players that came loaded on my 7-year-old PC. I came across VLC media player in a few online reviews, and it looked safe, but my assessment on that is pretty uninformed. Now I feel reassured. LadyGeek using it is one of the strongest endorsements around!

The player has a built-in list of internet radio station providers, but you are not limited to those selections. See: How to Use VLC Media Player to Listen to Internet Radio

Once you save the VLC playlist file (.xspf extension), you can add any internet radio URL by editing that file in a text editor. It's XML format, just add it to the list.

You can get the URL by downloading and editing the station's playlist file (.pls).

The player itself doesn't remember playlists. The next time you open the player, just load the playlist from Media --> Open Recent Media and you are good to go.

If you want to discuss further, I can move these posts into a dedicated thread.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Barbara Newell’s Mindfulness podcast
Michelle Reugebrink’s meditation videos on youtube
Maya Fiennes Yoga for Real Life on Instagram
Yoqi by Marisa Cranfill yoga qigong fusion videos on youtube
iceport

Post by iceport »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:39 am
iceport wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:00 pm

The player has a built-in list of internet radio station providers, but you are not limited to those selections. See: How to Use VLC Media Player to Listen to Internet Radio

Once you save the VLC playlist file (.xspf extension), you can add any internet radio URL by editing that file in a text editor. It's XML format, just add it to the list.

You can get the URL by downloading and editing the station's playlist file (.pls).

The player itself doesn't remember playlists. The next time you open the player, just load the playlist from Media --> Open Recent Media and you are good to go.

If you want to discuss further, I can move these posts into a dedicated thread.
Thanks LadyGeek. Looks fairly straightforward, with the help of the tutorial. I'll have to give it a try! Though I must say, I don't find myself streaming radio broadcasts much anymore... I think that's probably because of all the excellent new music — and old gems rediscovered — that gets shared here to explore! I can't keep up...
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Live at the Fillmore Auditorium 10/15/66 (late show) and 10/16/66 (early show). Signe’s farewell and Grace’s debut — Jefferson Airplane
Broken Man 1999

Anecdota, by Lucid Druid.

I first heard this band at a St Patrick's Day festival in downtown Tampa. I really enjoyed their performance, and bought a CD off their table.

The band is defined in Wikipedia as, "Lucid Druid is a Celtic fusion band that formed in Clearwater, Florida in 2003. The band self-proclaims their sound as "Traditional Celtic Music of the early 21st century," and "Eclectic World-Fusion Music," describing their multi-faceted and jam-induced music."

Thing is, after a few pieces, the sound is too jarring for me.

I do play the CD occasionally, as I roll thru my collection. Perhaps if I hadn't swilled so much beer with SIL I wouldn't have bought the CD in the first place.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
batpot

Post by batpot »

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

Listening to Max Richter, Sleep.
https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Max-Richter/dp/B017XAF70W

Bit long, but you can take it in small pieces. He's also created a nice app that utilizes this piece of music.

Small Law Survivor
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:48 am Live at the Fillmore Auditorium 10/15/66 (late show) and 10/16/66 (early show). Signe’s farewell and Grace’s debut — Jefferson Airplane
I used to have the Airplane's first album with Signe, and remember enjoying it.

One of my old favorite trivia questions was "What band first performed White Rabbit and Somebody to Love?" Now, with google, it's pretty easy to figure out, but back in the day (especially when both songs got so much rotation on rock radio) the answer surprised a lot of people.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Artful Dodger wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:22 pm
Nicolas wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:48 am Live at the Fillmore Auditorium 10/15/66 (late show) and 10/16/66 (early show). Signe’s farewell and Grace’s debut — Jefferson Airplane
I used to have the Airplane's first album with Signe, and remember enjoying it.

One of my old favorite trivia questions was "What band first performed White Rabbit and Somebody to Love?" Now, with google, it's pretty easy to figure out, but back in the day (especially when both songs got so much rotation on rock radio) the answer surprised a lot of people.
Of course, The Great Society, the ultimate garage band. I had the album Conspicuous Only in its Absence. Their cover of Sally Go ‘Round the Roses with Grace was a standout. I still play it, only by streaming it now, not on LP. Later I got the Sundazed CD Born to be Burned.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

XTC - Live in Concert 1980. Here’s a link to a review and a few of the songs from other venues:

http://www.bestlivealbums.com/xtc-live-in-concert-1980/

A quirky studio band that was fierce live.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

An album by the band Great Plains called "Sum Things Up."
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

eddot98 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 pm XTC - Live in Concert 1980. Here’s a link to a review and a few of the songs from other venues:

http://www.bestlivealbums.com/xtc-live-in-concert-1980/

A quirky studio band that was fierce live.
That's one bone-crunching version of "Making Plans for Nigel" you've got there. 8-)
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Chain Smokin’ (Demo) — Joe Grushecky & Bruce Springsteen, from the soon to be released 25th Anniversary Edition of Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers album American Babylon. https://americansongwriter.com/historic ... ringsteen/
Broken Man 1999

The Essential Jimmy Vaughan. Brother of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Saturday DDs and I will be seeing him live along with Eric Clapton. Should be a great concert. Could be the last tour for both of them.

I attended a Clapton concert years ago. Slowhand and I were much younger. I imagine we will be listening to a generous helping of the blues, more so than during the first concert.

And, that is definitely OK by me.

Broken Man 1999