What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by abuss368 »

Silence (and it is golden)!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

So What - PINK
Luke3

Post by Luke3 »

GARY MOORE Live Stockholm 1987

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsMKdlB3lbI
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Who’s Next by The Who - considered by some reviewers as their best album. I tried something new today and streamed Amazon HD music from my phone to our newly connected Harman Kardon Adapt Bluetooth adapter to our home stereo. Sounded quite good.
I bought this album for $2.88, if memory serves me well, when it first came out in the summer of 1971. A few weeks earlier I had purchased my first reasonable stereo - an AR amplifier, an AR XA turntable with a Shure M91ed cartridge, and two AR 2x speakers. I skimped on the speakers as I wanted AR 3a’s, but the funds only went so far. As it was, I spent the unheard of amount of about $600 - not sure how I got that much together as my summer job paid $100 a week. It was the summer between my sophomore and Junior years in college. Because I was living at my parents’ home, I wasn’t allowed to turn the volume up at all and my parents never went out anywhere together. When I arrived at college in September, the stereo was the first thing I unpacked and set up and Who’s Next was the first album that was blasted. Over time, we ended up playing that stereo too loud too many times and we fried one or the other speaker a couple of times. AR repaired them under warranty a few times before they sent me fuses that they said that I better use as they would not keep repairing the speakers from playing them too loud. I did go through several of the fuses, but they did their job and protected the speakers from damage.
Last edited by eddot98 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

My octogenarian, stately Euro dad (who has perfect blood pressure, by the way) keeps remembering songs from the 50s when certain phrases come up in conversation, so we listen to them together.

Yesterday it was “Sweeter Than Wine” - 1957, performed by Jimmie Rodgers. Really not bad a ‘tall. Catchy and upbeat, with a profound message.

A few days ago it was “What a Difference a Day Makes,” sung by Dinah Washington. Also quite lovely.
iceport

Post by iceport »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm I did go through several of the fuses, but they did their job and protected the speakers from damage.
A fellow "druggie"! :wink: :beer

Great story... made me smile as it brought back similar memories. My equipment was lower end than yours (Dual turntable with walnut base but otherwise generic, Pioneer receiver, Electrovoice speakers), but I drove it for all it was worth!

Now spinning:

Muddy Waters -- Fathers and Sons (1969)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I'm listening to all my Cream CD collection today.

Never get tired of the band who was so short lived. Alas, so long ago. :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
BHwannaB

Post by BHwannaB »

Was making a large pot of chili today and wanted something a bit more mellow for all the chopping and thought of the Milk Carton Kids. Found this concert from the Lincoln center that is very entertaining.

https://youtu.be/gL8eBrhVTJ4

Love Kenneth’s playing so much and Joey’s deadpan humor made the prep fly by… :D
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

iceport wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:56 pm
eddot98 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm I did go through several of the fuses, but they did their job and protected the speakers from damage.

Great story... made me smile as it brought back similar memories. My equipment was lower end than yours (Dual turntable with walnut base but otherwise generic, Pioneer receiver, Electrovoice speakers), but I drove it for all it was worth!

Now spinning:

Not sure how much you know about Muddy, but if you are interested in finding out more there is an excellent book of his life: Can’t Be Satisfied. Here’s a link to a long review:
https://www.laweekly.com/mojo-man/

If you haven’t seen Muddy Waters at Newport, it’s worth a watch:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fLTCIqfsefc

Your post inspired me to watch it again. Muddy with an all star band and the mostly white audience is loving it! Quite an artist, but a lousy human being.

After the Muddy video, I watched a suggested video of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CAOlQaLVJdw

Blues guitar jamming at its finest.
iceport

Post by iceport »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:25 am

Now spinning:

Not sure how much you know about Muddy, but if you are interested in finding out more there is an excellent book of his life: Can’t Be Satisfied. Here’s a link to a long review:

Your post inspired me to watch it again. Muddy with an all star band and the mostly white audience is loving it! Quite an artist, but a lousy human being.
That's apparently true. I always hate it when that happens, finding out an artist I like does some really detestable things, or holds views that I can't abide. As you know, when we were coming up the personal lives of musicians weren't always very well known. The very first glimpse I had of Muddy Waters' less savory habits came from a well-done biography on PBS years ago that didn't shy away from touching on his penchant for womanizing, including with very young partners. I was really bummed to learn about that, the last part especially.

Thanks for the book review of the biography. I enjoyed it, but that's about as far as I want to go into his personal life. I'd just rather not know every gory detail!

What an amazing musician, biography and legacy otherwise, though. I saw him at the Music Inn in Lenox, MA in, oh, it must have been '78 with Bromberg. He really knew how to channel the energy of the crowd, and he was no spring chicken even then. And, man, did they love him in his adopted home town of Chicago! I was out at school in IN when he passed away in '83, and one of the biggest stations out that way, WXRT, must have had Muddy Waters tunes taking up about 10% to 20% of their air time for a week solid — maybe two! To this day I've never heard such a long, sustained tribute on a big commercial station for any other passing musician.

I have a copy of Muddy Waters, the Complete Plantation Recordings, featuring blues tunes and interviews recorded by Alan Lomax in 1941-42. Those recordings let Muddy Waters hear himself for the very first time. It's a fascinating piece of recorded history.

Whatever his personal failings might have been, he was the real deal among the blues greats.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

BHwannaB wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:36 pm Was making a large pot of chili today and wanted something a bit more mellow for all the chopping and thought of the Milk Carton Kids. Found this concert from the Lincoln center that is very entertaining.

https://youtu.be/gL8eBrhVTJ4

Love Kenneth’s playing so much and Joey’s deadpan humor made the prep fly by… :D
Nice harmonies!

After listening to this duo on Youtube I then discovered David Rawlings - Cumberland Gap (Official Video) which is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4c4yQXk6Ug
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

iceport wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:34 am
eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:25 am

Now spinning:

That's apparently true. I always hate it when that happens, finding out an artist I like does some really detestable things, or holds views that I can't abide. As you know, when we were coming up the personal lives of musicians weren't always very well known. The very first glimpse I had of Muddy Waters' less savory habits came from a well-done biography on PBS years ago that didn't shy away from touching on his penchant for womanizing, including with very young partners. I was really bummed to learn about that, the last part especially.

Thanks for the book review of the biography. I enjoyed it, but that's about as far as I want to go into his personal life. I'd just rather not know every gory detail!

What an amazing musician, biography and legacy otherwise, though. I saw him at the Music Inn in Lenox, MA in, oh, it must have been '78 with Bromberg. He really knew how to channel the energy of the crowd, and he was no spring chicken even then. And, man, did they love him in his adopted home town of Chicago! I was out at school in IN when he passed away in '83, and one of the biggest stations out that way, WXRT, must have had Muddy Waters tunes taking up about 10% to 20% of their air time for a week solid — maybe two! To this day I've never heard such a long, sustained tribute on a big commercial station for any other passing musician.

I have a copy of Muddy Waters, the Complete Plantation Recordings, featuring blues tunes and interviews recorded by Alan Lomax in 1941-42. Those recordings let Muddy Waters hear himself for the very first time. It's a fascinating piece of recorded history.

Whatever his personal failings might have been, he was the real deal among the blues greats.
I have to make time to listen to the Plantation Recordings. I expect that they will be a lot like the Robert Johnson recordings.
I clicked on your link to the Music Inn Archives and that’s just one amazing list of shows! Boy, did I miss out on almost all of them. I remember seeing the Kinks there, so that must have been in 1979, but that’s the only time I remember being there. We casually know the guy who ran the Music Inn, David Rothstein, as he owns the Race Brook Lodge and the Stagecoach Tavern in Sheffield, MA. We used to go the the Tavern a lot and he would be there eating at the bar sometimes. Unfortunately, we ended up talking more about his hip replacements than the Music Inn as we didn’t know that it was his place until later (DW needed a hip replacement at the time and was exploring options - sucks to get old). I would have loved to see Muddy there, it was quite a place - much more laid back than Tanglewood.
iceport

Post by iceport »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm We casually know the guy who ran the Music Inn, David Rothstein, as he owns the Race Brook Lodge and the Stagecoach Tavern in Sheffield, MA. We used to go the the Tavern a lot and he would be there eating at the bar sometimes. Unfortunately, we ended up talking more about his hip replacements than the Music Inn as we didn’t know that it was his place until later (DW needed a hip replacement at the time and was exploring options - sucks to get old). I would have loved to see Muddy there, it was quite a place - much more laid back than Tanglewood.
That is *so cool* that you know the guy who ran the place! That venue was a real treasure. I remember getting the distinct impression that a big part of the crowd drove in from upstate NY, overhearing conversations. I hope he knows just how appreciated the Music Inn was for lots of people.

"...much more laid back than Tanglewood." Yeah, I'd say that's a bit of an understatement... :wink: :beer
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Really enjoying the new Cordae album “From A Bird’s Eye View” that was released today.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Another "shout out" for Joseph Spence. Just listening to his 1959 recording Music of the Bahamas on Qobuz, also available on YouTube.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDSeT0Jk0lg

This album is on the annual "Records to Die For" list in the Feb Stereophile. Interesting vocalizations and humming while playing blues/calypso on a steel string guitar. Surprisingly melodic!
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

iceport wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:38 pm
eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm We casually know the guy who ran the Music Inn, David Rothstein, as he owns the Race Brook Lodge and the Stagecoach Tavern in Sheffield, MA. We used to go the the Tavern a lot and he would be there eating at the bar sometimes. Unfortunately, we ended up talking more about his hip replacements than the Music Inn as we didn’t know that it was his place until later (DW needed a hip replacement at the time and was exploring options - sucks to get old). I would have loved to see Muddy there, it was quite a place - much more laid back than Tanglewood.
That is *so cool* that you know the guy who ran the place! That venue was a real treasure. I remember getting the distinct impression that a big part of the crowd drove in from upstate NY, overhearing conversations. I hope he knows just how appreciated the Music Inn was for lots of people.

"...much more laid back than Tanglewood." Yeah, I'd say that's a bit of an understatement... :wink: :beer
I meant more laid back than the Popular Artist Series by Bill Graham at Tanglewood. They had 21,000 Woodstock type fans at the Jefferson Airplane, BB King, The Who concert in the summer of 1969. DW and I were at that show separately; we wouldn’t meet for a year and a half. They had all the regular Boston Symphony Orchestra staff, ticket booth folks, ticket takers, concession stand staff, and ushers at the Popular Artist shows. That was a little strange. After that show the local residents made Tanglewood limit attendance, turn down the volume, and end the shows earlier. After Graham’s involvement, the Popular Artist series were never the same.
iceport

Post by iceport »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm I meant more laid back than the Popular Artist Series by Bill Graham at Tanglewood. They had 21,000 Woodstock type fans at the Jefferson Airplane, BB King, The Who concert in the summer of 1969. DW and I were at that show separately; we wouldn’t meet for a year and a half. They had all the regular Boston Symphony Orchestra staff, ticket booth folks, ticket takers, concession stand staff, and ushers at the Popular Artist shows. That was a little strange. After that show the local residents made Tanglewood limit attendance, turn down the volume, and end the shows earlier. After Graham’s involvement, the Popular Artist series were never the same.
Wow. Another great story! I had never heard any of that history. A good friend ushered there one summer (got us into Jackson Browne), but it was a pretty mild-mannered venue by the time I got there. Apparently that was not always the case. (Absolutely love that part about your two paths coming so close at that show!) I always felt like I was born 10 years too late. For me, the handful of shows I saw at the Music Inn in the '70s felt like a small belated peek into a world of music and culture that my older siblings had known years earlier. And in a lot of ways, those shows became a model for my vision of an ideal music show, something to measure the mood and feel of big music events against. It was just that special, all good vibes, no negativity. That pic I linked is exactly how I remember it. If you run into your friend again, let him know that the shows he put on meant a lot to a lot of people.
ProsperGoalzz

Post by ProsperGoalzz »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:09 pm Today I am enjoying B-52's music.

Broken Man 1999
Between this and the Traveling Wilburys...I am putting together a mental playlist for the weekend! Speaking of Wilburys, Jeff? I do love ELO!
ProsperGoalzz

Post by ProsperGoalzz »

peterinjapan wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:06 am I got into podcasts so hard I all but stopped listening to music. I like listening to them, although I think I'm being a bit obsessive. I also listen to tons of audiobooks, including in the shower via a waterproof iPod Shuffle.
I'm the same way and I've come to realize that constant consumption of information is impacting my quality of life. I'm changing that.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Today I was in a Yardbirds kind of mood. I started with Five Live Yardbirds, their debut UK album released in late 1964 featuring Eric Clapton. I bought this import lp in the late 1960’s or maybe the early 1970’s. Not the best recording, but considering the time period, it’s okay enough since it’s a great example of early EC. Quite the rave up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3OHNcVRtO4

Then I went on to Yardbirds Live in 1968.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QncmVs72UQ

I bought the Live at the Anderson Theater album right after it was released and just before it was pulled from the shelves. I saw the Yardbirds live on August 12, 1967 at Mountain Park in Holyoke, MA. It was in this old ballroom with no seats and I was able to get right up close to the stage. The whole band had these wild Nehru jackets and Jimmy Page had a psychedelic painted Fender Telecaster. I was 16 years old at the time and had never seen anything like that before. That show would launch my life long love affair with rock and roll. Prior to that show, all that we heard were some pop singles with a short guitar solo. I guess that was what I was expecting. Well, that’s not what we got. Page was the star and there was so much loud guitar, it was mesmerizing It was so loud that my ears were still ringing the next day. The Anderson Theater set is pretty much the same show that I saw so many years ago.
Talfred

Post by Talfred »

Generique from the Miles Davis soundtrack to "Ascenseur pour l'échafaud"
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

Nathanial Rateliff and the Night Sweats - I need never get old.

Love him !!!!!!!!!!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Beethoven: The Complete Piano Sonatas and Concertos performed by Claudio Arrau, seventeen hours of music. These are just the sonatas: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNW5 ... ngX1fOavh4
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Glass Houses by Billy Joel- vaguely hoping to go see him February 12th but likely holding off on concerts a little longer
Broken Man 1999

Right now I am listening to Going Back Home by Son Seals from The Alligator Records 20th Anniversary Collection via my CD collection.

FWIW, all the Alligator Records anniversary collections (20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th, 45th, 50th) are available for streaming on Amazon Unlimited Music.

Some really great bluesmen on the various albums. Some names are familiar to me, some new. All worth a listen.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:30 pm Right now I am listening to Going Back Home by Son Seals from The Alligator Records 20th Anniversary Collection via my CD collection.

FWIW, all the Alligator Records anniversary collections (20th, 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th, 45th, 50th) are available for streaming on Amazon Unlimited Music.

Some really great bluesmen on the various albums. Some names are familiar to me, some new. All worth a listen.

Broken Man 1999
I am going to go back and listen as I have one of them- I remember our local jazz station would have a blues show every saturday or sunday night in the late 80's- early 90's and I would tape many of the shows to listen to- they had Son Seals as well as another artist Kenny Neal that I liked a lot- I believe Katie Webster might have been on Alligator as well if I remember
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:30 pm Right now I am listening to Going Back Home by Son Seals from The Alligator Records 20th Anniversary Collection via my CD collection.

Broken Man 1999
On Apple Music you can now search by record label. Here are the search results for Alligator records (there are several pages of results):

hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Hey kids,
Sorry to say, but I can’t listen to anything more than once these days. Life is too short. There are millions of tracks, time is limited. Sure I know Dylan, Radiohead, Hooker, Ray Baretto, Alison Krause, Marley, Black Sabbath, Pavarotti, Mozart, and many others (not to short any genre.) Oops I left out Coltrane and Miles.
On the other hand, I can still remember commercial tunes from the 60s and 70s. Why does my memory retain such drivel? Can you remember the Rawhide jingle Hell Bent for Leather? Or Bonanza? Unfortunately I do. Press delete.
In summary, I keep on moving forward, don’t look back. Hoping my brain will delete “Plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is” or “Hey kids what time is it, it’s Howdy Doody time.”
Patsy Cline is my hero. I love the way Puccini lays down a tune. (ELO)
Respectfully HVAC
lasp506

Post by lasp506 »

My wife likes Melody Gardot and similar artists on Amazon Alexa.
ImSoGreen

Post by ImSoGreen »

Audiobooks - Astro Tough

https://youtu.be/tRQGZPXuIrM
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Nicolas wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:22 pm

Broken Man 1999
On Apple Music you can now search by record label. Here are the search results for Alligator records (there are several pages of results):

Telarc has some great Blues artists. They have issued at least 2 samplers: Telarc’s Got the Blues and Telarc’s Got More Blues. It was on the More Blues sampler where I was turned on to Son Seals. I subsequently purchased Letting Go, a fine album. Son Seals died too young. I really enjoy his staccato guitar style. The song Dear Son starts slowly and builds to a crescendo - highly recommended.
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Broken Man 1999
I've got the same collection. Just pulled it out of my CD closet to look over. I spent a lot of time in Chicago in the 70s and 80s and saw a lot of the artists who recorded for Alligator, and worked for a while with Big Twist's wife. I think I'll give it a whirl tomorrow morning. Hanging around home quarantining.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:43 pm I spent a lot of time in Chicago in the 70s and 80s and saw a lot of the artists who recorded for Alligator, and worked for a while with Big Twist's wife.
That's amazing. I must have seen Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows over a dozen times! Great band. West Lafayette, IN, was a frequent stop in their schedule in the early to mid-'80s. Still have one of their vinyl pressings.

"Hoy, Hoy..."

:wink: :beer

P. 8 of this 1/21/85 issue of the Columbia Chronicle brings back lots of fond memories: https://digitalcommons.colum.edu/cgi/vi ... _chronicle
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

iceport wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:02 am
Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:43 pm I spent a lot of time in Chicago in the 70s and 80s and saw a lot of the artists who recorded for Alligator, and worked for a while with Big Twist's wife.
That's amazing. I must have seen Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows over a dozen times! Great band. West Lafayette, IN, was a frequent stop in their schedule in the early to mid-'80s. Still have one of their vinyl pressings.

"Hoy, Hoy..."

:wink: :beer

P. 8 of this 1/21/85 issue of the Columbia Chronicle brings back lots of fond memories: https://digitalcommons.colum.edu/cgi/vi ... _chronicle
Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed the read about the band and some of the other articles too. I saw them mostly in and around Carbondale, Illinois where I went to college, but travelled to Chicago often to visit friends and spent lots of time in the clubs around Old Town and Rush Street. Fun times.
:beer
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Yesterday it was side 1 and 2 of The Clash lp’s of London Calling. The Clash had quite a musical journey from their first album through Sandinista. The last 2 albums were dismissible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cfuBk93N2E
BHwannaB

Post by BHwannaB »

Some "new to me" stuff over the last few days:

New Punch Brothers came out last Friday and its really good. Some samples:
Punch Brothers - Church Street Blues: https://youtu.be/TytbMZUcurI
Punch Brothers - Pride of Man: https://youtu.be/DrVUUq3mWaw

Big fan of all the Zildjian live sessions for all things drumming and had never heard of this guy before. The backing band is for all of these sessions is Ghostnote who I am a big fan of. Linking Gergo Borlai (dubbed the Hungarian nightmare) session and one from Ghostnote
Zildjian LIVE! - Gergo Borlai: https://youtu.be/UcNGcXrJImg
Ghost-Note: "Phat Bacc" | Sugarshack Session: https://youtu.be/XH23s8OsubY

Anybody remember the show sing off? Acapella singing competition and I really liked the band Pentatonix who got their start there. I have not really followed them but am revisiting their body of work. This rabbit hole is wide and deep! :oops:
Pentatonix - Daft Punk: https://youtu.be/3MteSlpxCpo
Pentatonix - Hallelujah: https://youtu.be/LRP8d7hhpoQ
iceport

Post by iceport »

BHwannaB wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:22 am Some "new to me" stuff over the last few days:

New Punch Brothers came out last Friday and its really good. Some samples:
Punch Brothers - Church Street Blues: https://youtu.be/TytbMZUcurI
Punch Brothers - Pride of Man: https://youtu.be/DrVUUq3mWaw
Thanks for that one! Love the Punch Brothers. Here's a link to the full album playlist on YouTube:

Punch Brothers - Hell on Church Street - 2022

Now spinning: David Bromberg - Wanted Dead Or Alive (1974) (The funny opening track, "The Holdup," was written with George Harrison.)

I like the whole album, but I was always especially fond of The New Lee Highway Blues

Just learned something new from Wikipedia:
The title Wanted Dead or Alive is a play on words, referring to how the record was created. Side one of the LP was recorded in the studio with various musicians, including four members of the Grateful Dead − Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Keith Godchaux and Bill Kreutzmann. Side two was recorded live.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The kids complaining!
😂
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
OhBoyUhoh

Post by OhBoyUhoh »

Bat out of Hell ~ Meat Loaf . RIP.

Another of my favorite albums. Love "2 out of 3 ain't bad"
I had money, I had none. I had money, I had none. But I never been so broke that I couldn't leave town. (Jim, Ray, Robby, John)
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

Phoebe bridgers. Can’t stop listening to stranger in the alps. Album is killer
iceport

Post by iceport »

Oh my word, this is one of the most thoroughly enjoyable contemporary bluegrass albums I've come across is many years.

Becky Buller - Distance and Time - 2020

The first half has a distinct country bent, but in the best of ways. Really highlights the common roots of bluegrass and country. That country flavor is not as prominent in the second half. Fine playing and singing all around, and nice compositions.

Really sweet instrumental: Inglewood Upon Stratford

Becky Buller is part of the supergroup The First Ladies of Bluegrass. (Alison Brown - banjo, vocals; Becky Buller - fiddle, vocals; Sierra Hull - mandolin, vocals; Missy Raines - bass, vocals; Molly Tuttle - guitar, vocals)

The First Ladies of Bluegrass: "Girl's Breakdown"
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Telemann: Polonaise performed by Holland Baroque & Aisslinn Nosky (2021)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... -U0UHqCFPE
Edit: fixed the link.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

It’s January, but feels like spring in the bay area right now

Hard not to throw on some live Grateful Dead and hang out in the back yard
Freefun

Re: What are you listening to

Post by Freefun »

While my guitar gently weeps (Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Tom Petty, Dhani Harrison, Prince)

https://youtu.be/dWRCooFKk3c
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Freefun wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:04 pm While my guitar gently weeps (Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Tom Petty, Dhani Harrison, Prince)

I love this. :beer
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

That prince solo is so fun
johndoe33

Post by johndoe33 »

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Stumbled upon this relatively obscure jazz recording... Snooky & Marshal's Album, featuring an array of artists. It's also available on YouTube... https://youtu.be/NKD-MbKtS-g
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

rage_phish wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:14 pm That prince solo is so fun
Yes, what a talent. RIP Prince. Way too soon.
Broken Man 1999

Freefun wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:04 pm While my guitar gently weeps (Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, Tom Petty, Dhani Harrison, Prince)

Prince tore it up in that performance, unbelievable talent. I had no idea he could play so well.

A daughter is a huge fan of Prince, she and a friend took a trip out to Minnesota see the Pasiley Park complex.

Supposedly he had recordings for many releases when he died. The family is/was bickering, who knows when they will be released.

Broken Man 1999