What are you listening to now

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
batpot

Re: What are you listening to now

Post by batpot »

the new wave of British post punk
The new Shame album is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jka7aCIHT-I

And Black Country, New Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkppJiPZJaw

And more noisy, math rocky, but really looking forward to the new Black Midi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT0nSp8lUws

...your kids are gonna love it
iceport

Post by iceport »

heartwood wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:12 am Today's starts with Norah Jones "Jesus, Etc"
Is that the version she did with Puss N Boots? I have that one and love it!
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
iceport

Post by iceport »

Steep Canyon Rangers...

This band is capable of some superb original contemporary bluegrass music. Beyond that, they seem to be just a super nice bunch of guys. (When power failed at a festival a few years ago, instead of sliding out of town, they spontaneously started playing unplugged — literally — in a big paved courtyard after hours. They belted out old Band tunes and their other favorites, or random requests from the assembled crowd — which got as big as the sound range would allow.)

Anyway, a wonderful contemporary bluegrass piece, if you're at all inclined to that sort of thing... it hit just right tonight... exquisite fiddle solos...

Roadside Anthems · Steep Canyon Rangers
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

iceport wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:21 pm Steep Canyon Rangers...

This band is capable of some superb original contemporary bluegrass music. Beyond that, they seem to be just a super nice bunch of guys. (When power failed at a festival a few years ago, instead of sliding out of town, they spontaneously started playing unplugged — literally — in a big paved courtyard after hours. They belted out old Band tunes and their other favorites, or random requests from the assembled crowd — which got as big as the sound range would allow.)

Anyway, a wonderful contemporary bluegrass piece, if you're at all inclined to that sort of thing... it hit just right tonight... exquisite fiddle solos...

I really like these guys--even when Steve Martin, yes, that Steve Martin--isn't playing banjo with them.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

iceport wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:24 pm
heartwood wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:12 am Today's starts with Norah Jones "Jesus, Etc"
Is that the version she did with Puss N Boots? I have that one and love it!
Spotify lists it as on The Bridge School Concerts 25th Anniversary Edition 2011, just to Norah Jones.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

"Wrong Way Up," by Brian Eno and John Cale.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
PoemMan

Post by PoemMan »

Radio Swiss Jazz, out of Basel Switzerland, using the Simple Radio app. That’s my evening choice, during the day their Radio Swiss Classical. Better than Pandora, which I find is very repetitive.
“This old truck … I own it … it don’t own me” - Howlin’ Wolf in Cadillac Records
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Grateful Dead (50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition) — their 1st album released 1967, this remastered release includes a live 1966 set, P.N.E. Garden Auditorium, Vancouver, B.C. July 29, 1966, plus four songs from the next night same venue, the Vancouver Trips Festival recorded by Owsley. One hour fifty-four minutes streaming.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Old Crow Medicine Show 2004 album.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

Son recently mentioned an album by Lulo Reinhardt (nephew of Django). After listening I decided to put together a Django Reinhardt playlist. My father turned me onto him back in the 60's.

There are 20 volumes of Django to start with. This is Djangologie Volume I:
https://open.spotify.com/album/6BriMWIw ... SxLguIIXYA
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Best of Blind Willie McTell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Willie_McTell
Nobody can sing the blues like Blind Willie McTell.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

iceport wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:21 pm Steep Canyon Rangers...

Very nice! I'm listening to them on Amazon Music right now.

This thread has turned me on to so many artists I have never heard/heard of, definitely expanded my listening playlist.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Silence and it is golden while reading.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Miles Davis Quintet - Live in Europe 1969 / The Bootleg Series Vol 2.

Right now it’s Disc 3 recorded at Stockholm 11/5/69. Bitches Brew, Paraphernalia, Nefertiti, Masqualero, and This.

Miles, Wayne Shorter - sax, Chick Corea - pianos, Dave Holland - bass, Jack DeJohnette - drums.

These were a series of concerts loosely billed as the Newport Jazz in Europe tour. The bootleg connotation comes from the concerts being recorded by local state run media. Columbia cleaned it up some and released this set in 2013.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Wheels of Fire — Cream
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

A little surf/instrumental music for a rainy, dreary afternoon in the northeast, Laika and the Cosmonauts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmQhr8zmHkw
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Fresh Cream — Cream
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Some Scottish bands

The Primary 5 - High Five
Cosmic Rough Riders - Deliverance
Teenage Fanclub - Songs from Northern Britain
hoping

Post by hoping »

Everything But The Girl album
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Blood // Water

grandson
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Louie Louie by The Kingsmen. R.I.P. Mike Mitchell
relativeratio

Post by relativeratio »

windaar wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:08 pm Sirius/XM Chill
I love! love! love! that station. Downtempo electronic and deep house.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Wooly Bully — Sam the Sham & The Pharaohs
You Don’t Own Me — Joan Jett
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Today was Whitesnake, Cream, and CCR. Oldies but goodies.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Today was the Stones '69 album Let it Bleed. One of my all time favorite records. Great stuff from start to finish.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Snuffycuts99 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm Today was the Stones '69 album Let it Bleed. One of my all time favorite records. Great stuff from start to finish.
That’s a great album. I’m listening now. The background singer Merry Clayton added so much to Gimme Shelter, it wouldn’t’ve been the same record without her. I never knew her name until recently.
t2cycling

Post by t2cycling »

Massive Attack - 100th Window Album
I still love their hypnotic beats, synth sounds and laid back vocals.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

t2cycling wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:00 am Massive Attack - 100th Window Album
I still love their hypnotic beats, synth sounds and laid back vocals.
I recently discovered this Massive Attack remix, which I liked a lot.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Bag's Groove (1954) - Miles Davis
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Not usually my style, but the last few days I've fallen down the Postmodern Jukebox rabbit hole and I'm loving it.

If your not familiar, PMJ is a collective of musicians led by Scott Bradlee who takes modern hits and arranges generally vintage-jazzy versions. Really good stuff.

Just finished hearing their take on Aerosmith's "Dream On"
https://youtu.be/Yq4KA0mUnC8
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 pm Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkEPBiMbgxs
That’s a great great track. I like Hendrix’s original best (unfortunately it’s too short), followed by Stevie Ray Vaughan’s version which is not of this earth.
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I was listening to Beck, Cake and Vulfpeck the last couple of weeks. Now I'm back to metal. Check out "Sion The Blade" with Howard Jones on youtube as a prerelease track. Andre Antunes is doing some really great metal memes if you care for that sort of thing.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Today it's the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's '72 album Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Maybe the best bluegrass country album IMO.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Songs for Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts— Jimi Hendrix & Band of Gypsys (Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums). These are the (almost) complete concerts at The Fillmore East on New Year’s Eve 1969 and New Year’s Day 1970. Over five hours of good music.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 pm
Snuffycuts99 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm Today was the Stones '69 album Let it Bleed. One of my all time favorite records. Great stuff from start to finish.
That’s a great album. I’m listening now. The background singer Merry Clayton added so much to Gimme Shelter, it wouldn’t’ve been the same record without her. I never knew her name until recently.
:thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, I recently read the story of Merry Clayton's troubled contribution to the record. Though it was probably small consolation, her vocals on Gimme Shelter are truly iconic. The way she belted out those classic lines, it's hard to imagine the tune without her!

Thanks for the suggestion! Listening to the album now.

To me, the top three albums the Stones ever made are, in chronological order: Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Sticky Fingers. I've heard an argument for Exile on Main Street, but that's just not in the same league, to me.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

iceport wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:14 pm

Yes, I recently read the story of Merry Clayton's troubled contribution to the record. Though it was probably small consolation, her vocals on Gimme Shelter are truly iconic. The way she belted out those classic lines, it's hard to imagine the tune without her!

To me, the top three albums the Stones ever made are, in chronological order: Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Sticky Fingers. I've heard an argument for Exile on Main Street, but that's just not in the same league, to me.
Those 3 albums are all stellar. And I would agree on Exile...it gets a lot of praise and I'm not saying it's a bad album. But for all the tracks on it there's only a few that I really love.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Snuffycuts99 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:45 pm
iceport wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:14 pm

Those 3 albums are all stellar. And I would agree on Exile...it gets a lot of praise and I'm not saying it's a bad album. But for all the tracks on it there's only a few that I really love.
I’m not sure I can rank them, I like a lot of the early albums too. But definitely Beggar’s Banquet is in the top three for me.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Complete Matrix Tapes — The Velvet Underground. Live recordings of the storied band's two-night stint on November 26 and 27, 1969, at The Matrix. Four and one half hours.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

A ceiling fan and silence. That is golden.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Hmmm.... just turned the TV off.

... and I think I'm listening to a bit of tinnitus
(and alas, it doesn't seem to be by Mozart...)

:annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SethJane42

Post by SethJane42 »

Chick Habit by April March....song was used at the end of Deathproof Catchy song.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Neil Young - Powderfinger
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Who Sell Out: Super Deluxe Edition by The Who, released today. Includes many outtakes, 47 unreleased tracks. 114 songs, five hours forty-one minutes of good music.