Larry Swedroe's Best and Worst Investment (and Other) Books of 2019

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Larry Swedroe's Best and Worst Investment (and Other) Books of 2019

Post by nisiprius »

The Best and Worst Investment (and other) Books of 2019

John C. Bogle's Don't Count On It makes his highest category, "Distinguished." It's a collection of essays, I think some of which are available online at http://www.johncbogle.com (look under "speeches." Specifically, I see the title essay itself, Don’t Count On It! The Perils of Numeracy.)

Others in his highest, "distinguished" category include a business leadership book ("Multipliers"), a macroeconomics book ("Escape from the Balance Sheet Recession and the QE Trap"), a history book, and two thrillers. His superstinkers include "Way of the Trader: A complete guide to the art of financial trading."

A novel by Frederik Backman, Beartown, is on my Kindle on the basis of his recommendation since I found A Man Called Ove to be... a disturbingly intense reading experience for me.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
SurfCityBill

Re: Larry Swedroe's Best and Worst Investment (and Other) Books of 2019

Post by SurfCityBill »

What impresses me is that Swedroe read 73 books this year. Excellent exercise for the mind that I don't personally get enough of.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Larry is my favorite financial author. Despite the fact that macroeconomics is politics, and Larry’s leanings are much more freshwater than saltwater.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Thanks for posting, as I always like hearing reading recommendations.

I certainly agree with some of his picks re novels, but given his high rank of those his high ranking of some of the others baffles me. Individual tastes, I guess.