Need to move out of AAA Insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
joelly

Need to move out of AAA Insurance

Post by joelly »

Hi Everyone,

We have AAA for auto insurance, home insurance and earthquake insurance. We would like to change this. Can you recommend another good insurance company?

Edited to state reasons: Normally AAA increases our premium every year by a little amount. However, In 2019, they increased our property insurance by 40%, claimed that they need to adjust our square footage and bill accordingly. Our house didn’t grew. We have no choice but to pay it. Why we just pay for it? Because I was pregnant at the time and they kicked me when I was down and helpless. I just didn’t have the energy to fight it.

Thank you for your help.

-joelly
Last edited by joelly on Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shell921

Re: Need to move out of AAA Insurance

Post by shell921 »

Why do you want to change? My home was destroyed totally in a 2007 wildfire and AAA was so good!
More than fair! After this disaster AAA and USAA were the 2 best insurance companies to deal with!
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

AMICA
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Post by 123 »

I suggest you get quotes from Allstate, State Farm. and an independent insurance agent and compare the results. Keep track of the parameters you use so the quotes will be comparable. If your property is in California the earthquake coverage is provided by the California Earthquake Authority but it is sold through various insurance companies. If the cost of the earthquake coverage varies significantly then there is an inconsistency over how your property (or your deductible etc) has been classified by the agent, probably a good thing to find out why.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I switched into AAA insurance this spring for everything: home, auto, & umbrella, but not in seismic area so no earthquake. They were the cheapest of the four or so companies that I price-checked. I haven’t filed any claims in the short time that I’ve been insured. What’s the problem?
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 pm I switched into AAA insurance this spring for everything: home, auto, & umbrella, but not in seismic area so no earthquake. They were the cheapest of the four or so companies that I price-checked. I haven’t filed any claims in the short time that I’ve been insured. What’s the problem?
I am in the same boat, will be leaving AAA next year. Continued increases in premiums of 10-15% per year. Have been with them 6 years.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:04 pm
Nicolas wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:52 pm I switched into AAA insurance this spring for everything: home, auto, & umbrella, but not in seismic area so no earthquake. They were the cheapest of the four or so companies that I price-checked. I haven’t filed any claims in the short time that I’ve been insured. What’s the problem?
I am in the same boat, will be leaving AAA next year. Continued increases in premiums of 10-15% per year. Have been with them 6 years.
Insurance companies will hook you with lower premiums the first year and then gradually raise them year-by-year to profit from the inertia of people slow to change. It’s important to shop around every year. I was with Liberty Mutual for a couple of years until their premium became untenable, then Safeco was the lowest. Until this spring when their premium increases became odious. AAA was the cheapest for me this time around. In March I’ll be checking again.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

joelly wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:53 pm We have AAA for auto insurance, home insurance and earthquake insurance. We would like to change this. Can you recommend another good insurance company?
It's hard to advise you on what you might like until we know what you didn't like about AAA.
Bogle7

AMICA

Post by Bogle7 »

AMICA
40 years for auto and 9 years for home.
Happy. Service is excellent.
Homeowners' premiums have exploded, but that is what happens when you have a billion $ hailstorm in 2017.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

I've had State Farm for all my insurance since forever and have been satisfied. Never any problems the few times I've had to make a claim. I'm sure I could shop around and save a little here and there but it's not worth the hassle of researching and changing every year or two.

I've had to file claims with a few other insurance companies whenever I've been involved in an auto accident that was the other driver's fault. I don't recall the specifics since it was a number of years ago, but working with AAA Insurance to settle a claim annoyed me so much that I vowed I would never be a willing customer. Never had issues with any other insurance company.
mouses

Re: AMICA

Post by mouses »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:49 pm AMICA
Homeowners' premiums have exploded, but that is what happens when you have a billion $ hailstorm in 2017.
AMICA. When you get a quote be sure to know if it is with or without a dividend. The no dividend policies look cheaper up front, but the dividend ones come out cheaper taking that into account.

I would never go with State Farm again. I was a customer for many years and then we had a flood and they were a nightmare to deal with.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

mouses wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:47 pm
AMICA. When you get a quote be sure to know if it is with or without a dividend. The no dividend policies look cheaper up front, but the dividend ones come out cheaper taking that into account.

I would never go with State Farm again. I was a customer for many years and then we had a flood and they were a nightmare to deal with.
How much percentage are dividends?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
tj

Post by tj »

Auto Owners had great rates for me. They are only available through independents.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

ALLSTATE. We had AAA auto one year. Had to have the highest AAA road policy to offset what it did not cover. Suggest use an insurance broker. Insurance costs differ greatly by state. Good luck!
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:02 pmHow much percentage are [AMICA] dividends?
20-25%
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

runner3081 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:04 pm
Like clockwork, no claims, another 10.2% increase with same cars and coverage.
msi

Post by msi »

Every time I've done a round of insurance quotes, Amica is one of if not the most expensive. They also don't pay dividends in every state, so check that beforehand.
cowbman

Post by cowbman »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:02 pm
mouses wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:47 pm

How much percentage are dividends?
Not all states allow for the dividend
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

msi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 am Every time I've done a round of insurance quotes, Amica is one of if not the most expensive. They also don't pay dividends in every state, so check that beforehand.
Just switched to Amica. Saved over $1000 on Home Insurance compared to Liberty Mutual. $1400 less with the Auto and Umbrella thrown in.

WoodSpinner
WoodSpinner
Mindbender

Post by Mindbender »

AAA in my state acts more like a broker. Is it not the same everywhere? Or am I missing something :confused So while I do have "AAA Insurance" for car and home there's another insurance company who is actually doing the underwriting. If I call AAA and ask to change who provides the insurance or to hunt for something cheaper they're done that in the past.
NerdicSkier

Post by NerdicSkier »

I have had AAA for 20 years for auto and more recently for home. I have great service from my agent (she laughs at my jokes) and not too much hassle with two claims that I have had including a totaled vehicle. I shop occasionally but find only nominal savings - and I expect that those are "teaser" rates. And great service anytime I add a vehicle or a driver, which is happening more often with kids coming of age.

Oh and my wife and daughter picked up some paper road maps for a big trip they took last summer just like we used to when I was a dorky kid. So plus one for nostalgia.
tj

Post by tj »

Mindbender wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:01 pm AAA in my state acts more like a broker. Is it not the same everywhere? Or am I missing something :confused So while I do have "AAA Insurance" for car and home there's another insurance company who is actually doing the underwriting. If I call AAA and ask to change who provides the insurance or to hunt for something cheaper they're done that in the past.
AAA also has it's own policies. They have different insurance companies in different states. It would not surprise me if they don't have their own policies in all states. In CA, AAA has one insurer for Southern California and another one for Northern California. I think those two insurers actually cover additional (different) states.

The wikipedia article notes which insurer a given state uses. Several regional clubs list no insurer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... onal_clubs
Mindbender

Post by Mindbender »

tj wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 pm
Mindbender wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:01 pm AAA in my state acts more like a broker. Is it not the same everywhere? Or am I missing something :confused So while I do have "AAA Insurance" for car and home there's another insurance company who is actually doing the underwriting. If I call AAA and ask to change who provides the insurance or to hunt for something cheaper they're done that in the past.
AAA also has it's own policies. They have different insurance companies in different states. It would not surprise me if they don't have their own policies in all states. In CA, AAA has one insurer for Southern California and another one for Northern California. I think those two insurers actually cover additional (different) states.

The wikipedia article notes which insurer a given state uses. Several regional clubs list no insurer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... onal_clubs
Thanks for that. That makes more sense.