Anyone skilled at Award Travel and want to help me fight flights to Maui?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Anyone skilled at Award Travel and want to help me fight flights to Maui?

Post by Bob Sacamano »

wife and i are looking to take a Babymoon and want to go to Hawaii. problem is, the only time she's able to take off are during busy travel times.

we're looking to travel 2/15 - 2/22 from the NYC area. best price i could find was ~$1000/ticket with 1 stop or ~120K Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

thanks in advance for any help!
HawkeyePierce

Re: Anyone skilled at Award Travel and want to help me fight flights to Maui?

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Here's a list of award booking services you can hire: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel- ... views.html

If you can only take off busy times you're just gonna have to take what you can get.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Awardnexus.com
goingup

Post by goingup »

We fly to Hawaii once or twice a year. Alaska Airlines Signature Visa offers one $99 companion fare per year. Annual fee is $75 I think. Since we live in Seattle Alaska Airlines is are usual carrier. I try to book 6 most in advance for best flights and seats.
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano »

goingup wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:02 pm We fly to Hawaii once or twice a year. Alaska Airlines Signature Visa offers one $99 companion fare per year. Annual fee is $75 I think. Since we live in Seattle Alaska Airlines is are usual carrier. I try to book 6 most in advance for best flights and seats.
something tells me that $99/fare won't be available on the dates we're looking (2/15 - 2/22) :(
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:24 am wife and i are looking to take a Babymoon and want to go to Hawaii. problem is, the only time she's able to take off are during busy travel times.

we're looking to travel 2/15 - 2/22 from the NYC area. best price i could find was ~$1000/ticket with 1 stop or ~120K Chase Ultimate Rewards points.

First of all, don't fight your flight. You can't win.

That's a lot of points for a (presumably economy class) ticket. The chances of cashing in points on favorable terms during busy travel times is essentially zero. OK, maybe you get lucky.

I would pay for the tickets with cash, bank the points, and use them when I can get a deal on a long international flight.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:06 pm
goingup wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:02 pm We fly to Hawaii once or twice a year. Alaska Airlines Signature Visa offers one $99 companion fare per year. Annual fee is $75 I think. Since we live in Seattle Alaska Airlines is are usual carrier. I try to book 6 most in advance for best flights and seats.
something tells me that $99/fare won't be available on the dates we're looking (2/15 - 2/22) :(
No blackout dates. :happy

Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees from $22) every year on your account anniversary for Alaska flights booking on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.

Not sure when a new cardholder is eligible for companion fare, though. Might be after 90 days--I'd double check.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Maui and with it being high season, finding better deals at this late date will most likely be impossible. If you see a decent price jump on it.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

If you are a member with Costco try their travel service. Or Expedia’s bundles. We have had good luck saving quite a bit with both of them.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

Do any of the Chase travel companion partners fly there? Your best bet could be to transfer your Ultimate Rewards points to a travel partner and book through them, rather than booking directly with Chase.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:24 am wife and i are looking to take a Babymoon and want to go to Hawaii. problem is, the only time she's able to take off are during busy travel times.

Have you tried the Chase travel site? That was the best deal I could find when buying tickets to Hawaii (partly due to the extra points applied to buying from their site). I vaguely remember getting 4 roundtrip tickets, non-stop, from Denver (United) for about 800 (cash value--we used points) each, over xmas break.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Deleted
Last edited by Bmac on Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

That is not high season....not sure why people are posting that

summer and Christmas is high season

been to Maui 7 times
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
itsastart

Post by itsastart »

Are you flexible on dates by a week or so? If yes, you can cut your ticket prices in half. Use google flights (on a computer) flying from NYC area to Maui for your dates. Once you see the choices, you can pull open a matrix calendar of prices to see the best combination of days and prices. I looked for a week prior to the dates you have in place and saw 1-stop R/T price for 2 tickets as $12xx.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Socrates wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:38 pm That is not high season....not sure why people are posting that

been to Maui 7 times
School break/"Presidents' Day"/ AKA Washington's birthday
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

goingup wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees from $22) every year on your account anniversary for Alaska flights booking on alaskaair.com with no blackout dates.

Not sure when a new cardholder is eligible for companion fare, though. Might be after 90 days--I'd double check.
I think Alaska is like the American Airlines CC. The companion tickets are provided on the anniversary. Still a good deal, but a 12 month wait.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:24 ambest price i could find was ~$1000/ticket with 1 stop or ~120K Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
If you don't already have it and think you could get one, maybe consider grabbing a Chase Ink Business Preferred Card, which has an 80,000 point signup bonus (and a $95 annual fee, not waived). That's worth roughly $1,000 in award travel when booked through the Chase UR portal. That would cover a substantial portion of your airfare, especially if you already have some UR points to combine with the 80k.

EDITED TO ADD: On second thought, this may not be a good approach due to the short time frame (i.e., needing to book your tickets ASAP, before you'd actually get the 80k bonus points). Of course, you could always use the bonus points to pay for ~$1,000 of other upcoming travel expenses, just not for this particular trip.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goingup

Post by goingup »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:04 am
Socrates wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:38 pm That is not high season....not sure why people are posting that

been to Maui 7 times
School break/"Presidents' Day"/ AKA Washington's birthday
February is definitely high season.
From Frommers: "Thus, the high season -- when prices are up and resorts are often booked to capacity -- is generally from mid-December through March or mid-April."
I don't think high season is the best weather in HI, but it is the most crowded.
goingup

Post by goingup »

Artful Dodger wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:14 am
goingup wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:25 pm

I think Alaska is like the American Airlines CC. The companion tickets are provided on the anniversary. Still a good deal, but a 12 month wait.
I didn't realize American Airlines had a CC with companion fare, too. Good to know! I just checked the terms for Alaska Air CC for new Visa card holders:

US – New eligible Visa® consumer cardholders should see their code after spending the required amount on purchases within 90 days from account opening. The companion fare code will be posted to the primary cardholder's Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan / My account approximately 6 to 8 weeks after qualifying.

So you have to make $2,000 in qualifying purchases within first 90 days and then the companion fare will be posted to your account 6-8 weeks later. I think this would cut it too close for the OP's vacation.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Bob Sacamano wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:24 am wife and i are looking to take a Babymoon .....from the NYC area.
How long a flight is that?

I would think that it would be at least 12 hours plus connections and a couple of extra hours to get to the airport early and then to get to your hotel. Even if you get the best flights possible I would guess that could be 18(?) hours door to door and many of the frequent flyer flights are not the best flights. If a flight is missed or canceled because of weather the flight time could be measured in days.

You would then need to do that again seven days later to get home.

Even her doctor will approve that trip I would consider if that will be a lot of fun traveling that much while pregnant. One other problem is that the doctor might say that it would be OK now, but by February there could be some concerns which might make a long flight like that inadvisable.

There was a post a few years ago by someone that flew to the Philippines on a business trip while pregnant. That was approved by her doctor but while she was there she had some complications that caused her to spend a night in a hospital but then she could not then get approval to fly home so she had to stay in the Philippines until after the baby was born. Fortunately she was on a business trip and her employer would cover the costs and it turned out OK, except for long delays in getting a passport for the baby, but that was very stressful for her.

I would file "Babymoon in Hawaii" under "bad ideas" even if you could easily use the frequent flyer miles.

I would look at Florida instead. If you needed to you could drive or take a train to get home.