Eyeglasses: Warby Parker or Costco?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtmingus

Eyeglasses: Warby Parker or Costco?

Post by mtmingus »

I have had glasses (frames + lenses) from costco for years, with prescriptions from a local trusted optometrist (but her glasses are super expensive). I understand that the frames from costco are nothing fancy.
Any BHers here had glasses in both costco and Warby Parker and would like to share your experiences?
Thanks!
DesertDiva

Re: Eyeglasses: Warby Parker or Costco?

Post by DesertDiva »

You could look through these threads, if you haven't seen them already:
viewtopic.php?t=289989
viewtopic.php?t=258398
viewtopic.php?t=214127
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

I would checkout Zenni Optical online. You can get complete lens/frame for less than $50.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

^ +1 on Zenni, just ordered another pair yesterday. I don't know how they do it. Great supplier.
AAA

Post by AAA »

jumbopapa wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am I would checkout Zenni Optical online. You can get complete lens/frame for less than $50.
I've had mixed luck with Zenni. The glasses themselves are fine and fit without adjustment for two family members. For two other members, they needed adjustment. You can try to adjust them yourself, but unless you know what you are doing you run the risk of the glasses not sitting right, which I suppose could lead to problems. Otherwise you have to find a place that will do it with or without charging. Of course, unless you are near a Warby Parker or Costco store, you might have the same issue. We have bought one pair at Warby - at least at the time they said they'll pay something toward having another store adjust your glasses, I think it was $50??

As a result, I've much preferred recently to get glasses at a place where I could walk in for adjustment. The pair I got at Costco last year have been fine.

Also, for some reason, Zenni will not make trifocals.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Thanks for all your input.

My glasses from costco are ok but just to make sure there are better alternatives.
My vision insurance doesn't cover much and costco doesn't take it.
I need all of these options: bifocal, super-thin, anti-reflective coating.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

There's also:
Walmart Vision Center
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I have had good luck with 39dollarglass.com
have also used zenni
Costco has been good for contacts for a daughter with an odd prescription
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

mtmingus wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 am I have had glasses (frames + lenses) from costco for years, with prescriptions from a local trusted optometrist (but her glasses are super expensive). I understand that the frames from costco are nothing fancy.
Any BHers here had glasses in both costco and Warby Parker and would like to share your experiences?
Thanks!
They have some nice, name brand frames. I saw Mont Blanc and Burberry frames. It is not all generic, cheap stuff.
Benbo

Post by Benbo »

Can't speak to Costco, but I just got a pair of eyeglasses from Warby Parker and it was super easy. I did the "try before you buy" where you pick out 5 frames to try on and they ship them to you.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I have bought glasses at both. Costco now bills for some vision insurance.

The shopping experience at a Warby Parker storefront--if one is available to you--is very fun. Lots of stylish frames. I took both my college-student children about a year ago to our eye appointments, and then we went straight to the Warby Parker store. We all got very attractive frames for competitive prices.

Last time I checked, getting prescription sunglasses at Costco was a lower price than at Warby Parker.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

JINS is another option that you might want to consider. My wife is quite pleased with her glasses. https://www.jins.com/us/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
shans2000

Post by shans2000 »

Do not recommend Costco. We got glasses for my son, which we later found at an eye exam that they were not precisely built to the prescription. They were slightly off.
AAA

Post by AAA »

mtmingus wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:47 amMy vision insurance doesn't cover much and costco doesn't take it.
After purchasing glasses at Costco last year, I realized that my Medicare Advantage plan had some coverage for glasses. I contacted the provider and after sending them the receipt they paid me.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Highly recommend Costco, in fact we use the eye doctor at Costco, because the cost is 1/2 of what we were paying. I checked credentials, well-educated doctor.

At Costco you get a choice of the frames that are on display. If you cannot find what you like, then you're SOL. If you are Al Roker and need a dozen pairs of different colors, you probably need to shop elsewhere. I've never had a problem finding 2 frames I like - one for everyday and one for the computer (slightly bulkier and less expensive).

Costco takes SOME eyeglass insurance, but it's area-specific. Not all of a particular named plan are covered for example, it matters who the group is within that plan (i.e. ABC insurance for employees of City A might be fine, but ABC insurance for employees of City B wouldn't be).

I've always found optical insurance to be a waste of money.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

I ordered glasses from Warby Parker when they first started. Good price and the lenses were fine but had problems adjusting the frames. Had to resort to the kindness of Lens Crafters to adjust them for me.

Recently got an identical pair at Costco: $150.00 and human available to adjust frames. Stellar!
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

skepticalobserver wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:48 pm I ordered glasses from Warby Parker when they first started. Good price and the lenses were fine but had problems adjusting the frames. Had to resort to the kindness of Lens Crafters to adjust them for me.

Recently got an identical pair at Costco: $150.00 and human available to adjust frames. Stellar!
Warby Parker will adjust frames for you and the frames + lenses are $95. They have stores all over the place now.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Eyebuydirect offers 1yr warranty, and I've had good luck with them. 2 week no questions asked return.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Timely thread as I have an optometrist this Monday for new glasses and I don't plan on getting the frames there since I think the price is high. I've been to Warby Parker with my girlfriend when she was getting new glasses earlier this year and the store very nice and the staff was very helpful. I'm going to check out Warby first even thought I am a fan/member of Costco.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I've used glassesusa.com for the last several pairs.

Great coupons available. Better quality than Zenni. Cheaper than Costco.

Costco has good prices, but I found a bigger selection at glassesusa.com. If you are an "in person" type, can't go wrong with Costco.

I do not get my exam at Costco. They are low tech compared to the eye place I go to.
Patriot1997

Post by Patriot1997 »

Seriously, take a look at Goggles4U. www.goggles4u.com. I have gotten 4-5 pairs of glasses for around $12 each total. And I haven't gone blind yet.
Mysmaven

Post by Mysmaven »

My take on the Warby Parker glasses is that the frames feel flimsy. Prescription was fine, buying process super easy, and we do have a local store. But they just feel flimsy. These are glasses I wear in the movies and other times when I need to see distant detail, so I don’t use them much (usually content to walk around in a soft blur).
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I've previously advised considering JINS - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=296812&newpost=487 ... d#p4876287

That said, I've bought glasses at Costco. Shame on me for not knowing that Davis Vision https://davisvision.com/ wasn't covered. The optometrist lied to me regarding the prescription. Ignoring that, the glasses never fit correctly. I returned them for a refund.

Buyer beware. I would never buy glasses at Costco again. YMMV.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

jello_nailer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am ^ +1 on Zenni, just ordered another pair yesterday. I don't know how they do it. Great supplier.
+2. My Zenni glasses are much better quality than the name brand glasses I'd bought previously and were about 1/8 the price (literally). DW has 3 pairs from Zenni, no issues.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Patriot1997 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:16 pm Seriously, take a look at Goggles4U. www.goggles4u.com. I have gotten 4-5 pairs of glasses for around $12 each total. And I haven't gone blind yet.
Glaring review! :D lol. Have you had any major auto accidents? Chopped off a finger while cooking or doing DIY tasks at home?
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:09 pm Highly recommend Costco, in fact we use the eye doctor at Costco, because the cost is 1/2 of what we were paying. I checked credentials, well-educated doctor.

At Costco you get a choice of the frames that are on display. If you cannot find what you like, then you're SOL. If you are Al Roker and need a dozen pairs of different colors, you probably need to shop elsewhere. I've never had a problem finding 2 frames I like - one for everyday and one for the computer (slightly bulkier and less expensive).

Costco takes SOME eyeglass insurance, but it's area-specific. Not all of a particular named plan are covered for example, it matters who the group is within that plan (i.e. ABC insurance for employees of City A might be fine, but ABC insurance for employees of City B wouldn't be).

As I understand it, Costco contracts their eye care to independent optometrists—therefore the inconsistencies in accepted insurance plans and service offerings.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

DesertDiva wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:08 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:09 pm Highly recommend Costco, in fact we use the eye doctor at Costco, because the cost is 1/2 of what we were paying. I checked credentials, well-educated doctor.

As I understand it, Costco contracts their eye care to independent optometrists—therefore the inconsistencies in accepted insurance plans and service offerings.
I was not referring to the eye doctor, I was referring to coverage for glasses and contacts, which are filled by the Costco Optical Dept.

Yes, the eye doctors are independent.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

GT99 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:54 pm
jello_nailer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:15 am ^ +1 on Zenni, just ordered another pair yesterday. I don't know how they do it. Great supplier.
+2. My Zenni glasses are much better quality than the name brand glasses I'd bought previously and were about 1/8 the price (literally). DW has 3 pairs from Zenni, no issues.
+3 Zenni. They are having a 20% off on purchases with free shipping on orders >$75 that expires tonight on 12/6.

My prescription is -10 which is pretty blind. Their lenses have been fine. They sell hi-index lenses which would cost a lot more in a retail store.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Another Zenni user here, over 5 years now, multiple frame & lens orders. Never a problem. Recently had my eye exam, & the optometrist says my lens from zenni last year are exactly what last year's prescription said. So they are accurate.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Warby Parker was the best service and experience we have ever had looking for glasses. Couldn’t believe how well it went, for really nice style frames and lenses, for $95 total. I was so impressed that I wondered how I could invest in them, which of course I can’t yet. Really simple process. The other day I went into a regular and popular optometrist office and yikes, couldn’t stand how much they tried to up sell me as well as their inability to explain the differences in options. Really upsetting because they just wanted me to spend more than they wanted to help me find good options. I was reading an article about how it’s almost a scam in the U.S.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... am/602482/

Ordered from WP on a Friday, and they came on that following Monday, 5 days earlier than predicted.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

I also recommend Zenni Optical.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

No experience with Warby Parker. However, DW and I both purchased our last two pairs of glasses from Costco, and in all honesty I have to admit that I probably won't go back. Costco makes their lenses with anti-glare coating that captures and holds every little bit of dust and skin oil and keeps it, making the lenses more than usually difficult to keep clean. When I asked about making the latest pair without that coating, the Costco optician informed me that they don't give that option, that all their lenses come with that coating. So I'll probably look elsewhere for my next pair.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I get it costs a little more, but I like my Warby Parker glasses. We have a store in Atlanta, so I went there. If there is not one near you, if I recall correctly (check their website), I believe they will send you a few frames to test.

They didn't break the bank, they look and feel good, and service was exceptional. I guess I'm willing to pay a little more for that.

Edited to add: I think I paid about $100. From what I've seen at some optometrists, this ain't that bad.
furikake

Post by furikake »

I like Warby Parker! With my Vision insurance, I only pay $25 for a whole pair of glasses at Warby. They include all the options like anti reflective coating, anti scratch, polycarbonate lenses, etc. everything in their price so you don't have to pay extra. My eye doctor did the prescription a little off, so when I received the glasses, they were a little off, I didn't know until I went back to the eye doctor and he rechecked my eyes and wrote me a new prescription. Went back to Warby Parker, they had no problem at all remaking a new pair for me. They were all very friendly and helpful. I'm going back there again to get my RX sunglasses, for $25 also! Such a great deal!!
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

May I ask a slightly adjacent question?

All of my plastic eyeglass frames--most of them over a decade old--have developed a white film along the edges and on the arms. Is there an easy way to clean it off? I've Googled this and can't find a clear answer. 8-)
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
PurpleTiger

Post by PurpleTiger »

mikejuss wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:01 pm May I ask a slightly adjacent question?

All of my plastic eyeglass frames--most of them over a decade old--have developed a white film along the edges and on the arms. Is there an easy way to clean it off? I've Googled this and can't find a clear answer. 8-)
I found a bunch of different ideas searching "acetate eyeglasses white film": https://www.google.com/search?q=acetate ... e&ie=UTF-8

Seems like the ideas are all over the map, but maybe you'll find something useful.

I'll also add my recent experience with buying glasses online:

I have high myopia and a small face, so it took me quite a long time to find the right frames. I was eventually successful buying from eyebuydirect.com for my distance glasses. These have the highest index lenses, all the relevant coatings, plus Transitions. I bought my computer glasses with blue blocking from Warby Parker. I definitely like WP for the try at home, because it helped me figure out the best shape and size for my face. I used that info to select frames on eyebuydirect. I did have to adjust both frames slightly, but it was fairly straightforward.

With WP, I was not able to get the absolute highest index lenses, because they don't offer them with coatings (at least, that was true in December 2020). However, I don't notice too much of a weight difference, and I have been wearing them in front of my computer daily with no issues.

As for price, even with all the coatings and highest index frames, I ended up with two pairs of glasses for what it was costing me for one previously. Plus, my insurance (VSP) covered some of the cost.

Now if I could just remember to put my distance glasses back on before walking out the front door... :oops:
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

I went to Lenscrafters at a local mall because I lost my glasses. They took my EyeMed insurance, so I got an exam ($49) and ended up with bifocals ($250) instead of progressive ($450). Found out about Zenni, ordered a pair of progressive for $58. Love them.

Now my wife needs an exam and new glasses, she has no insurance. I found out by researching, our AAA membership discount at Lenscrafters is $43 for an eye exam. I also found out that Dr. must provide you with a prescription, and that you are under no obligation to buy anything else from them. Game changer. I could have saved about $200 just going to Zenni with my new prescription.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Found out lately that progressives cost more at WP than Costco.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

PurpleTiger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:29 am
mikejuss wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:01 pmMay I ask a slightly adjacent question?

I found a bunch of different ideas searching "acetate eyeglasses white film": https://www.google.com/search?q=acetate ... e&ie=UTF-8

Seems like the ideas are all over the map, but maybe you'll find something useful.
Yeah--I'm afraid that the answers being all over the map means that I'll just need to buy new frames. It's not a big deal, but I'm a little surprised there isn't an easy solution. Thanks for confirming this for me.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I had a terrible experience with Zenni (couldn't see out of the glasses, resolution was slow, painful and costly) but I've heard good things about WP and Costco. I'm not sure mail order is the way to go for me but am interested to read that it has worked for others.
Last edited by Colorado14 on Mon May 24, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
spectec

Post by spectec »

I just bought a pair for a new prescription from Zenni over the weekend. Also investigated Warby Parker, Lingo, and EyeBuy, but Zenni met my needs the best with a $125 pair. At that price, it's hard to beat, especially since I did it all sitting on my sofa. But next time I'm in Costco I plan to look at their offerings for comparison, and if the price is right maybe a spare pair. Otherwise it's back to Zenni with a reorder, once I see how the first pair fit and perform overall.

All 3 online retailers offered good choices and lots of information but it's worth digging down into the details of each one. Plus, they each retain your prescription if you decide to rethink which one to use in the future and the prescription hasn't changed. Online eyewear is super convenient.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
fulliautomatix

Post by fulliautomatix »

We bought three polarized prescription sunglasses for the wife, son and myself from EyeBuyDirect. All three arrived and are great. Total cost for three is $125, free shipping. Incredible!

Before this, we had already moved to Warby Parker at about $95 for each (regular glasses, not sunglasses). We still like their styles and they are great quality.

Will never purchase from any Luxottica brand ever.
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

This message probably does not pertain to the OP, but I wanted to give a nod to the importance of a good local optometrist - they can be worth their weight in gold especially for heavier or more unique eyeglass prescriptions, etc. I'm glad to have found and built a relationship with my local optometrist and am very grateful to have paid the higher costs for their expertise as well as for quality glasses and contacts.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

URSnshn wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:38 pm This message probably does not pertain to the OP, but I wanted to give a nod to the importance of a good local optometrist - they can be worth their weight in gold especially for heavier or more unique eyeglass prescriptions, etc. I'm glad to have found and built a relationship with my local optometrist and am very grateful to have paid the higher costs for their expertise as well as for quality glasses and contacts.
I will ditto this. My eyes are too important to go the "fast food" route. I need fittings and adjustments for my progressive lenses and odd nose.

Some 30+ years ago, when I was still living on the east coast, I started shopping for glasses. I went to one of those big franchises that offer bargain rates -- and then they add on a bunch of fees. I discovered that getting new glasses from an independent optometrist was really about the same cost, plus I would see the same staff when returning for adjustments or new glasses.

Here in Oregon I've been seeing the same optometrists (2 different ones depending on insurance coverage) for 30 years. Still can't find any new frames I like (big, please), but both have said that if I pick up frames when I am next in Paris they can fit the lenses.
Cookiegirl

Post by Cookiegirl »

I have a very tough prescription, lots of astigmatism, and Warby Parker gets it right all the time! I once had glasses made at Costco and they were terrible, learned my lesson. Also, Warby Parker has great customer service!
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Cookiegirl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:35 pm I have a very tough prescription, lots of astigmatism, and Warby Parker gets it right all the time! I once had glasses made at Costco and they were terrible, learned my lesson. Also, Warby Parker has great customer service!
My problem is where I wear my glasses -- a bit down on my nose. Can't imagine how you can get an accurate fit & focus -- especially with progressives -- if there is no human taking measurements. But you say it has worked for you?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

GerryL wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:11 pm
Cookiegirl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:35 pm I have a very tough prescription, lots of astigmatism, and Warby Parker gets it right all the time! I once had glasses made at Costco and they were terrible, learned my lesson. Also, Warby Parker has great customer service!
My problem is where I wear my glasses -- a bit down on my nose. Can't imagine how you can get an accurate fit & focus -- especially with progressives -- if there is no human taking measurements. But you say it has worked for you?
I simply read the measurements off the frames that fit me well and then get the same dimension frames at glassesusa.com.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

SmileyFace wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 pm
GerryL wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:11 pm
I simply read the measurements off the frames that fit me well and then get the same dimension frames at glassesusa.com.
Yeah. That's what I figured, and it would not work in my case. I wear my glasses lower on my nose and the optometrist has to measure where the focal point needs to be on the lenses. This is particularly important for progressive lenses.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I’m a huge Costco fan in general, but I’ve been so pleased with all of my Warby Parker glasses (at least 6 pairs and I bought another pair today...) that I’ve never been tempted to try Costco glasses. I’m lucky to have a WP store near me so I can try them on in person though.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I just got frames and progressive lenses at Costco one month ago ... the closest Warby Parker was a bit of a drive so I didn't go there. I was really surprised at the large selection of frames that Costco had, much larger than when I last went about 4 years ago. I went to a Lens Crafters before going to Costco and they had far less inventory which I found shocking plus a ridiculous policy of having to sanitize each frame that you touched and, of course, much higher prices.

I already had a prescription but Costco measured my interpupillary distance. I was surprised to only pay $180 for frames plus progressive lenses (myopia plus progressive in the lens for reading). I had separately paid around $100 for a prescription at a different location. So I can't comment on Warby Parker which I also want to try some day. I would actually have no problem paying more if it was necessary ... like many, I don't mind dropping cash on good glasses.