Where to donate refrigerator, washer, dryer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Where to donate refrigerator, washer, dryer

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

I have two refrigerators, two washers, and one dryer that I need to get rid of. My strong preference would be to donate all of them to an organization that will re-use them in some way, or failing that recycling them properly, instead of just taking them to the dump. In a perfect world some people would come over, load the appliances into their truck, give me a receipt for tax purposes, and drive away.

All the appliances need cleaning. One of the washers is quite old, but the other 4 appliances are newer. I believe all of them are functional.

Any thoughts on organizations that would take them, or other ways to get rid of them per the above? This is west coast USA if that matters.
HomeStretch

Re: Where to donate refrigerator, washer, dryer

Post by HomeStretch »

Some Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity locations in my area will accept donations of appliances in good working order. Not all will pick up but that varies.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

Not exactly what you are looking for but I have put these types of things on Craigslist in the past for very cheap...$25 or less. The people have always been very thankful for the good price and will come and get them. The price is so low they don't bother haggling. I never put them up for free because you get too many no-shows when there is no price attached.

Be sure to specify no delivery and any other special instructions. Give full details on condition so you don't have to explain things to people... they just come and get them.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

How about free on Craigslist?

I personally am not concerned with what the "new owners" of my old items do with them!

Assuming they are going to pick them up, they will probably use them and not toss them.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Perhaps your electric utility company has some "recycle" program. Our electric utility company gives us $50 for a fridge in working condition. It has to still work and be between 10 and 30 cubic feet. Limit is two fridges. They pick them up.

After 19 years, decided to get a new fridge; our fridge still works but has been dripping internally for a while, just catch it in a container. I don't think it is too worthy to donate, too old to fix, so I'll take the $50.

So, perhaps donate, or at least with the fridges you may get some cash for them. Check the utility website.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your area, they will pick up usable appliances, furniture, etc. for a modest donation.
Topic Author
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

Thanks all for the good, quick answers. I have a bunch of possibilities to investigate already which is exactly what I was hoping for :sharebeer
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Definitely check your power utility first. Many of the utilities in the PJM territory (Mid-Atlantic) pay $25-$50 for old but working refrigerators and freezers. And they pickup for free! Utilities in other regions in the country occasionally offer similar. They then assume responsibility for proper recycling. Got rid of a bunch of old stuff in family's house this way. Thank you Exelon. Also check utility rebates for new refrigerators.

Next, check with the charities mentioned. Also check "freecycle" groups in your area, including on facebook.

Next, the folks who pickup your trash likely have an appliance pickup on request, and they recycle the "white goods." Or if you drop stuff off at a dump/transfer station, they will likely recycle the old appliance. It is unheard of in most places for trash companies to accept appliances as normal waste to pour into the ground or burn. And appliances with refrigeration are even more tightly controlled due to the refrigerants inside. There might be a nominal charge, but it is usually quite low.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

My utility company (BGE) has an appliance recycling program and usually pays us $50 or so per appliance.