Does anyone have a dishwasher they recommend?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Swimmer

Does anyone have a dishwasher they recommend?

Post by Swimmer »

After a lot of research, I just bought a Whirlpool refrigerator. It had excellent reviews for the most part. Also bought the extended warranty, which I never do, because, well, it seems refrigerators seem to be so unreliable these days.

I considered buying the “matching” Whirlpool dishwasher until I saw the horrible ratings. I’ve been looking at other brands. I thought Bosch would be the way to go, but most of those reviews were less than stellar. Comments like “doesn’t get food off dishes” or “doesn’t dry dishes” abound. My 9 year old Whirlpool still does it all very well, but I know it’s getter old and I don’t want to wait until it fails and scramble.

So my question is: does anyone have a newer dishwasher they recommend?

Just trying to avoid buying a problem. Thanks.
HomeStretch

Re: Does anyone have a dishwasher they recommend?

Post by HomeStretch »

Recent thread about dishwasher recommendations you might find useful:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=269999&p=4669249&h ... r#p4669249

I posted in it that I like my 9-year old Asko DW. Stainless steel interior, quiet, low energy/water usage, and cleans well. It’s a European model so it takes time to dry and it doesn’t have a food grinder. I scrape loose food off dishes before loading. Only issue was a clogged drainage hose due to a couple pistachio shells that got wedged in there due to lack of grinder).

ETA: in addition to the utensil caddy on bottom rack, it has a 3rd rack in center for utensils, silverware, lid covers, etc.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I’m happy with my 5 year old Bosch. Low end model with stainless interior on the sides, plastic on the bottom. It was $600 on sale at Lowe’s. It does a very good job of cleaning and is fairly quiet.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

dupe post
Last edited by Big Dog on Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

luv our bosch. Super quiet. Purchased the mid-range unit (stainless bottom) two months ago. This replaced our 12 year-old bosch machine.

But yes, does not have a drying element per se. And that can be a good thing as it won't over-heat plastic items and melt them. The dw does heat the water hot enough, so that the dishes dry themselves. I usually just open the door when the cycle is one and they are dry to the touch after they are cool enuf to put away.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Based on a relative's recommendation I just bought my first Kitchenaid, after using a Bosch DW for years.

The Kitchenaid is incredible! I always considered my Bosch to be very quiet but the Kitchenaid literally does not make any noise while running. I'm fairly sensitive to sounds, so when I say NO noise I mean none, it's actually quieter than the whisper of the air coming out of our air conditioning vents.

It also gets the dishes sparkling clean. I highly recommend Kitchenaid, and it wasn't exorbitantly expensive, I paid just under a thousand dollars but I see it's on sale for even less now:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid ... Id=6005004
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

Bosch. Pay the additional $100 for the extra (top shelf) tray. You'll thank me.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:22 pm Bosch. Pay the additional $100 for the extra (top shelf) tray. You'll thank me.
I agree. The model numbers are a little weird on the Boschs, but I got something a little higher than their entry level, maybe around $700 at Lowes. (I think it was in the 500 series. But I'm not sure.) It's been awesome. But that third rack for silverware makes me happy every time.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

TSR wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:36 pm
Kennedy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:22 pm Bosch. Pay the additional $100 for the extra (top shelf) tray. You'll thank me.
I agree. The model numbers are a little weird on the Boschs, but I got something a little higher than their entry level, maybe around $700 at Lowes. (I think it was in the 500 series. But I'm not sure.) It's been awesome. But that third rack for silverware makes me happy every time.
Bosche, can’t hear it running.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I recently purchased a high end Bosch and am happy with it. It does not get dishes completely dry when using the "automatic" setting, but does when in "normal" mode. It holds less than my 10-year old previous unit, so I run it a little more often, but I expect it is more efficient with energy and water and it is much quieter. The shallow third rack for flatware and small utensils is handy and a clever use of space. It supplements removable conventional silverware baskets. On the more expensive models, the second rack is adjustable for height, to help accommodate taller glassware.

Because the design, components, and construction of different models change over time, you cannot necessarily extrapolate anything from experiences people recount with older machines - those are not products which can be bought new now, and models from the same brands today may be very different, making their owners' experiences with the old units of limited, if any, value when trying to predict what to expect with a new machine from the same brand.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by 123 »

I had a great dishwasher but we had a falling out and she left. She cooked and cleaned as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

123 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:57 pm I had a great dishwasher but we had a falling out and she left. She cooked and cleaned as well.

I think I see why she left :shock: .
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I have a 7 yo KitchenAid, midrange approx $800 at the time. It's very quiet. Cleans, sanitizes and dries reliably. I run rinse one day, wash-sanitize-dry the next. No silverware tray -- I'm used to the basket style, that works for me.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

123 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:57 pm I had a great dishwasher but we had a falling out and she left. She cooked and cleaned as well.
....but did she have a lawnmower? :P
jay99

It's the Detergent that is Key!

Post by jay99 »

Its the detergent that is most important....use Cascade Professional for Fryer Boil Out...it is Cascade's old formula the phosphates in this mixture keep the contents of the "fryer" ha ha "dishwasher" spotless. You can buy this stuff on Amazon. Made a world of difference with my new dishwasher.
tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 »

Seriously, a cheap Frigidaire ($200) with the heating element works much better than the fancy top of line models. Dishes come out clean and dry. I’ve had the more expensive models in past and was unimpressed.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

tigerdoc93 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:14 pm Seriously, a cheap Frigidaire ($200) with the heating element works much better than the fancy top of line models. Dishes come out clean and dry. I’ve had the more expensive models in past and was unimpressed.
I concur.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

check with miamivice - he seems to have run everything but the kitchen sink through his dishwasher.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

We are happy with our Kitchen Aide. They have been making dishwashers that work very well for at least 50 years. I have memories, as a kid about 100 years ago, of being amazed that aunt and uncle put dishes right in their Kitchen Aide dishwasher with no rinsing. At home we rinsed and dishes were still not always clean, there was a lot of re-washing.

We had a Whirlpool in between two Kitchen Aides and I think the Kitchen Aides were both better. The Kitchen Aide that we have now we chose, in part, because it was about the only highly rated one that did not require you to clean out a filter.

It does have a heating element, which was another factor at the time. However, as it turns out we almost never use the heating element as the dishes dry so fast without it. The stainless steel lining seems to make air drying work much better, our previous dishwashers were plastic and air drying was pretty much an overnight thing. So next time we won't care about having heat dry.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

Swimmer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:57 pm After a lot of research, I just bought a Whirlpool refrigerator. It had excellent reviews for the most part. Also bought the extended warranty, which I never do, because, well, it seems refrigerators seem to be so unreliable these days.

I considered buying the “matching” Whirlpool dishwasher until I saw the horrible ratings. I’ve been looking at other brands. I thought Bosch would be the way to go, but most of those reviews were less than stellar. Comments like “doesn’t get food off dishes” or “doesn’t dry dishes” abound. My 9 year old Whirlpool still does it all very well, but I know it’s getter old and I don’t want to wait until it fails and scramble.

We had a Bosch Ascenta prior to our current one. It didn't clean the dishes, primarily the glasses on the top rack. Actually made them disgustingly dirty.

We replaced that with a LG LDT7797ST model. Works great. Cost about $800 (purchased online), but the first one was damage in transit. The vendor shipped us a new one. We salvaged parts from that damaged and sold them on eBay, bringing down our cost to about $600.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Musings wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:30 pm
tigerdoc93 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:14 pm Seriously, a cheap Frigidaire ($200) with the heating element works much better than the fancy top of line models. Dishes come out clean and dry. I’ve had the more expensive models in past and was unimpressed.
I concur.

RM
The difference between high and low end models is stainless steel and noise level. My mom's top-of-the-line Frigidaire costed like 4x what our GE did, but it does not clean as well and she's had a few issues with it in 2yrs while we've had none in 4 (and none in the previous owner's 3). You can barely hear that Frigidaire though.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:16 pm
I concur.

RM
The difference between high and low end models is stainless steel and noise level. My mom's top-of-the-line Frigidaire costed like 4x what our GE did, but it does not clean as well and she's had a few issues with it in 2yrs while we've had none in 4 (and none in the previous owner's 3). You can barely hear that Frigidaire though.
Yes, that's my understanding, too. You can go down several levels in a given manufacturer's line and get the same wash system and so the same cleaning performance, but you're going to hear it and it is not going to be stainless.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
kacang

Post by kacang »

We're on our 2nd Bosch dishwasher. I understand that the wash system is the same across the line. The difference in price is for the design, how much stainless interior, number of wash cycles, sound-proofing & miscellaneous features, eg. 3rd/top tray. Our first was top of their line and lasted 7 years. Repair estimate (turbidity sensor?) was too high to justify eking out a few more years before something else fail.

For our 2nd Bosch, we bought low/middle of their line. Didn't want to pay extra for features that we won't use -- we always use the same 2 cycles, 3rd/top tray gets in the way of extra-tall mugs that we like to use. Only con is it's louder than our 1st Bosch, but it's quiet enough.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

I'm very happy with my no bells and whistles Whirlpool. I especially like the basket on the door. No break down or repairs in 16 years.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We have a Bosch, about 3 years old, and we love it. Of course it replaced a GE Profile that was so truly awful that anything would have looked good by comparison.

It gets the dishes clean.

It gets the dishes clean without fuss. We almost never use anything but the default cycle. It just works. It works whether you load it with obsessive care or not. However you put the dishes in, it cleans them.

Ours cost about $1,100. It wasn't the bottom of the line. It is a "three-drawer" model, in which the top "drawer" is a very shallow rack that is beautifully designed for putting silverware in; we love it. It claims to be a "QuietPlus 44 dbA" model and it is quiet indeed.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have a Bosch, but it is not as quiet as our 20+ year-old Asko that it replaced. It seems the problem is that the water jets or whatever inside really knock around any plastic dishes and cutlery so much so that it is like having tennis balls or shoes in a clothes dryer. Yes, the obvious solution is not to have cheap lightweight plastic dishes.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
SemperFi79

Post by SemperFi79 »

Miele. Ive had Bosch and Asko. In the good ole days Whirlpool but had to move all the time. I love the Miele because it is robust inside. Dishes on the bottom shelf stay in place. Cleans well. When wash done the door pops ajar just a bit and everything is dry! 3 shelves. AJ Madison good website for appliance info. Won’t choose anything else.
Bogle7

Recommend Miele

Post by Bogle7 »

Miele.
$1700+
Super quiet.
Third tray.
Replaced our broken Bosch.
I am still a fan of Bosch, but we were in “blow that dough” mode.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Topic Author
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Thanks, all, for your comments and suggestions. This helps a lot!
ucfdad32828

Post by ucfdad32828 »

BOSCH!, Due to bad wiring by the installer, our Bosch shorted out. I replaced it with a Samsung from Costco because of the extended warranty. Big mistake! Upper shelf has been repaired once and getting ready to call again for a repair. It is loud, with the Bosch we would frequently look at the light on the floor to make sure it was running. Even though the Samsung is still under warranty, if I find a sale on Bosch, I will be buying a new one.
froman118

Post by froman118 »

Happy with our Bosch 500 so far. Was about $700 on sale from Lowe's. Wish Costco sold them to get the bumped up warranty.
NewtoBogle

Post by NewtoBogle »

Got bosch new 500 series recently with the new setting that opens door after the cycle is complete to help drying. Seems to do the trick, with jet dry even 90% of my plastics are dry in the morning if I run it after dinner. Cost about $1000 installed which included $180 for install where they put in outlet (previous model was hard wired).

Cycles on new units are much longer supposedly using less water. I always rinse dishes quite well so can't speak for how well it would clean heavily soiled dishes.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I concur.

RM
Our 19 year cheap GE model still gets dishes clean, but the upper and to a lesser extent, lower racks are falling part inside. When the kids were very little, we ran the dishwasher during their naps in the pack n' play. At the time, It was great white noise! Most likely will replace it this year, perhaps our 19-yr old fridge as well. I'm more in the camp of if it is still working well, why replace it? Especially since appliance life spans appear to be declining as the number of buttons continue to climb.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
spooky105

Post by spooky105 »

Regardless of model you go with, below is some recommended reading. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the negative reviews related to cleaning on <insert model> reflect the changes described in this article that folks aren't tracking / haven't adapted to.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... modern-way

You can also get additional perspective on various models including recommendations in the article.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

mancich wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:09 pm I’m happy with my 5 year old Bosch. Low end model with stainless interior on the sides, plastic on the bottom. It was $600 on sale at Lowe’s. It does a very good job of cleaning and is fairly quiet.
+1 - I did the same and agree. It's amazingly quiet and cleans super well. Just clean out the filter regularly and you're set. Use Finish Tabs and Finish Rise Aid as designed. (Amazon has the best prices on Finish Tabs.)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Musings wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 pm
I concur.

RM
I'm more in the camp of if it is still working well, why replace it? Especially since appliance life spans appear to be declining as the number of buttons continue to climb.
+1. Higher "quality" appliances effect on my quality of life is totally nonexistent. Our dishwasher is a little louder than ideal, so we just don't turn it on when we are in the living room watching a movie; problem solved. When it breaks, I'll replace ours with whatever is cheapest that matches the color of the rest. We talk about cars that just do the job as "appliances"; these are literally appliances - I'll spend the savings on things that actually can improve my life.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Having recently moved, we can compare GE Monogram and Fridgidaire (sp?) Profile, the first being a higher dollar one than the latter. Stainless steel vs. plastic, greater heat, much quieter. Only feature the Fridgidaire has that is better is a light that turns on and illuminates beneath the dishwasher when it completes a cycle. Normally, we are not influenced by "Premium" devices, but the Monogram functioned perfectly over 11 years.

Tim
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli »

We have a Bosch. It came with the house and has been washing dishes for me quietly and reliably for almost ten years now, without any issue whatsoever.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

+1

Very happy with our Bosch too.
psy1

Post by psy1 »

A bit late, but my 2 cents:

We have gone through two high end Bosch dishwashers. They are excellent, quiet, though with somewhat less capacity that traditional "American" dishwashers. None of the quiet, high end dishwashers get dishes bone dry - not a big deal. For use quiet is the most important part. Bosch is among the most quiet brands. However, we went through two of them in 15 years. I am sure there is variability, but for us, 7.5 years was the lifespan.

Most recently, we bought a top end Kitchen Aid, switching brands due to perceived durability issues with Bosch. The Kitchen Aid is just as quiet although the noise is slightly different, sort of like a distant toilet running. It has more capacity, costs about the same, but we like it better so far. We will see about its longevity.

I think dishwashers are items that warrant buying a premium product. Cheap dishwashers are so loud and annoying, especially if you live in a smaller place or have an open floor plan. Plus, they seem to run forever. Whenever we stay in a business rental or Airbnb with a cheap dishwasher it is like starting up an airplane. No thanks.
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

Avoid Samsung. Ours is a year old and it constantly smells rancid. It's a very common problem according to my Google searching.
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

ClevrChico wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:01 am
mancich wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:09 pm I’m happy with my 5 year old Bosch. Low end model with stainless interior on the sides, plastic on the bottom. It was $600 on sale at Lowe’s. It does a very good job of cleaning and is fairly quiet.
+1 - I did the same and agree. It's amazingly quiet and cleans super well. Just clean out the filter regularly and you're set. Use Finish Tabs and Finish Rise Aid as designed. (Amazon has the best prices on Finish Tabs.)
Costco has better prices on the Finish tabs if you’re a member: https://www.costco.com/Finish-Powerball ... 25014.html

DW and I just replaced a 23 year old GE Profile (“what does the dishwasher do?” Does not clean well & leaves film on glass) with a Bosch 500 series stainless front for $700, has a 3rd top rack (silverware) which has a stainless steel interior.

Super quiet. Just installed it on 9/2, only tested the rinse cycle so far. Plan on using Finish PowerBall tabs and Finish Rinse Aid per Bosch’s recommendations to try avoiding pre-rinsing dishes. We picked Bosch based on reviews and price. Only other one we considered was KitchenAid which was more expensive.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

classicindexer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:44 amCostco has better prices on the Finish tabs if you’re a member
That was actually one of the main reasons we decided to try a membership when they opened a Costco near us :happy . We went in to look around and at that time they were selling boxes of (I think) 200 for the price of 100, which was probably about the price of 60 elsewhere. I think there was a coupon discount too and they were maybe $12.99 per box? I think we figured a couple boxes of those would pay for the $50 membership cost.
Plan on using Finish PowerBall tabs and Finish Rinse Aid per Bosch’s recommendations to try avoiding pre-rinsing dishes.
We have had 3 dishwashers in 30 years (KitchenAid, Whirlpool, and KitchenAid), never pre-rinsed dishes, other than sometimes soaking a pan. It's just a waste of water and time (unless you have a really bad dishwasher). We used Cascade until the end of phosphates and powerball since then. No rinse aid, since we have a water softener.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Our Miele Dimension is now 6 years old, and we absolutely love it. Utterly silent in operation--ours is built-in (paneled), so we have to look under the counter for the red light to see if it's running. Opens automatically at the end of the cycle so the dishes can dry. Like many mentioned about the Bosch models, ours has the tiny third rack at the top, which is far better for silverware than any basket I've ever used. Both it and the middle shelf are adjustable for height, and most of the tines can be folded down if you're washing larger items. Also has a built-in water softener, which helps things dry streak-free. We have to add a box of salt to it every 18 months or so.

We use Method Smarty Tabs as our detergent, but cut them in half, as we run it every day and it's very rarely completely stuffed. Buying 6 bags at a time on subscribe and save, this costs us 15 cents per wash.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Swimmer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:57 pm After a lot of research, I just bought a Whirlpool refrigerator. It had excellent reviews for the most part. Also bought the extended warranty, which I never do, because, well, it seems refrigerators seem to be so unreliable these days.

I have a whirpool dishwasher and it works great. This is what i recommend. Go to a real appliance store, Take a notepad, and have a few model numbers. Talk to a salesman and explain that your more interested in function than any particular model.. Also (my father sold appliances).. the construction quality of a couple steps up off of the bottom model, as long as it doesn't have a zillion new features, usually is a lot better. If that makes any sense.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

Yep, stay away from Bosch. We've had two and although they both cleaned the dishes well, they definitely are not reliable in the long term. We now have a GE that is 4 yrs. old. So far so good, but I scrape the excess off into the trash (we're on septic) and give them a light rinse before I load them.
LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 »

KitchenAid KDTE334GPS 39 dbA

Purchased 3 years ago during kitchen remodel.

Objectively:
  • unbelievably quiet
  • Gets dishes extremely clean, every time
  • Plenty of space / features / etc.
<---unsure how many cycles one truly needs, however...

Quick google search shows a list price @ ~$800 +/-

10/10 recommend; encourage you to check out reviews. During the home remodel, we elected to spend more on a dishwasher versus the oven/OTR microwave and fridge. Very happy with the purchase.

I'm sure there are others that are good as well. More importantly, what's good to know is what 'not' to buy. Good luck!
jima

Post by jima »

Just finished a lot of research and ended up with a Samsung. Looking for a 3 rack, black stainless, came down to these two choices:

Kitchenaid
https://www.costco.com/KitchenAid-39-DB ... 00565.html

Samsung
https://www.costco.com/Samsung-39-dB-To ... 78599.html

Had a Kitchenaid before and really liked it, but small things nudged towards the Samsung this time (mainly appearance and the automatic door opening).

So far so good, silent while running and black stainless really is fingerprint resistant. Layout for the dishes is much better than my previous Whirlpool unit.

Whatever you get, I highly recommend purchasing from Costco. You get the 4 year warranty (with their CC) and their prices include all delivery and haul away charges, no extra fees for misc parts like HD or Lowes.
anoop

Post by anoop »

@swimmer, what did you end up getting?
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

This is what Consumer Reports has recommended for years. We had one of those purchased maybe 7-8 years ago - worked/works great.

Recently remodeled a new place and bought one of the 8X series Samsungs like @jima - like it so far. Didn't pick it over another Bosch necessarily, just made more sense to get a whole package deal for rebates & matching purposes (and Samsung for everything else made more sense). I'd also like to add that Sam's Club also has an extra year warranty on Samsung and LG like Costco. We found that the price difference between Plesser's (plus extra rebates the big boxes don't have) combined with Samsung's rebate (which is hit or miss on Sam's and I haven't seen for Costco) more than made up for buying an extended warranty from Plesser's. Since the Citi 2yr extended warranty (which @jima is talking about on the costco card) applies to extended warranties as well, we ended up with a pretty good deal and a very long extended warranty. The Plessers salesman even knocked an extra amount off the order on the phone.