Insane to buy a sports car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lazydavid

Re: Insane to buy a sports car?

Post by lazydavid »

azanon wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:48 pm You should be able to get a good price on that C8 cause you'll be one of the few that actually wants one. As I understand it, about half of the Corvette community is very upset at that new design where Chevrolet seems to have been trying to design a Ferrari knockoff, and it looks like Donald Trump designed that wall between the two front seats. And a Corvette almost by definition is front-engine.
If few people want one, why is the entire first year of production nearly sold out less than two weeks after announcement, and four months before the first delivery? And that's with Chevy adding a second production shift that they did not have for the C7.

By the end of this month if you go to order a C8, it will be a 2021 delivered 18 months from now.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

When you get old / married / kid(s) and drive a truck or wagon or van or corolla, you will be harking back to the 32 and single days. Buy a sports car, zero issues there.

I leased a new S2000 in my mid-late 20s, I got to six figures early in my sales career with a LCOL, not near 250k per se, but enough that the $299 lease payment was peanuts and irrelevant. My only wish is that I had kept the garage queen instead of selling it during the recession for the ski/snow SUV and kept both. Now I gander at craigslist and see all these overpriced ten year old S2K's and barf. I'll get another some day. I miss the 6 speed roadster, nothing like it. One concern, if you live in a HCOL, is if that also means big city, how much will you really get to "drive" it? It's the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on another garage queen, I cannot justify using it for more than Sprouts runs or a haircut. Thus pointless.

My recommendation, like several others', is yes get the sports car, but you can find a very serviceable one for half your price range. I'd go find the most mint Cayman S I could find and drive that sucker hard. Although I guess you want convertible. So find the best used Boxster Spyder and save some depreciation. Buying new at these price ranges vs. your income isn't the smartest move IMO. I make more than you and wouldn't even consider such prices for a new vehicle. It will also drastically help with the insurance cost. Imagine full coverage on a $98k vehicle. Yikes. Many folks forget about that piece. Add thousands per year. Plus prem gas.

And yeah, if you are single with no spouse/kids, not sure why you have any personal life insurance at all? You have almost a million in the bank, so if you croak your heirs/family will have plenty of cash to not only bury you but make it rain on your casket with 100 dollar bills. Keep the free work policy of course, but immediately drop anything else. Reconsider if you get married, or more likely if kids enter the picture.

Good luck. Let us know what you pull the trigger on, photos preferred...
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

gunn_show wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm My recommendation, like several others', is yes get the sports car, but you can find a very serviceable one for half your price range. I'd go find the most mint Cayman S I could find and drive that sucker hard. Although I guess you want convertible. So find the best used Boxster Spyder and save some depreciation.
The droptop equivalent of the Cayman S is the Boxter S. The Boxter Spyder is the top-end model, equivalent to the Cayman GT4. In between the S and the Spyder/GT4 is the GTS, which I just rented earlier this week (Boxter GTS to be specific). Just a lovely all-around car. Loads of fun, but totally DD-able.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:18 pm
gunn_show wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm My recommendation, like several others', is yes get the sports car, but you can find a very serviceable one for half your price range. I'd go find the most mint Cayman S I could find and drive that sucker hard. Although I guess you want convertible. So find the best used Boxster Spyder and save some depreciation.
The droptop equivalent of the Cayman S is the Boxter S. The Boxter Spyder is the top-end model, equivalent to the Cayman GT4. In between the S and the Spyder/GT4 is the GTS, which I just rented earlier this week (Boxter GTS to be specific). Just a lovely all-around car. Loads of fun, but totally DD-able.
x2 on the GTS, amazing car and the exhaust sounds incredible. The Spyder is also manual only, not sure if OP knows or cares. A used GTS should be in the $55-65k range

I’m not sure where everyone lives that their car insurance is so expensive. My cost of insurance actually went down when I got my GT3 versus what I was paying for a 2013 M3
bagle

Post by bagle »

Just do it, though Boglehead groupthink is to buy only a second hand Toyota or Suburu and drive it into the ground.

Seriously, given that it's approx. 1/3 of your gross income and approx. 10% of your savings, I'd say you can afford it.

Personally, having driven the Boxster, I'd get a Tesla, but that's just my opinion (full disclosure: I have a Model 3, but am not an absolutist fanboi. Porsches have better QC). I assume you have plenty of daily traffic in your HCOL area. The autopilot is a relief in high backup situations and more a joy to gun when you can finally accelerate.
wander

Post by wander »

misterg wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:04 pm 2020 Corvette Stingray (~$80k)
I would wait a year to see how these cars perform then decide. That's my take on every new gen.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

misterg wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:24 am Thanks everyone for all the really thoughtful (and varied) responses. Definitely lots of food for thought.

I realize there are more things I could divulge to get more tailored advice (income sources, career stage and progression over time, cash reserves earmarked for purchase, my location, savings rate over time, SSN.. just kidding) but I posted the most basic info to get a gut check on the purchase. It seems like the overall sentiment is that it would be bit of a stretch to spend that kind of money at this point. Maybe the answer is waiting a bit for a used version, leasing, or something else.

I realize we can always wait longer and save even more money... but to echo what some have said, money is a tool. Eventually you should enjoy some of it (but I want to do it responsibly, which is why I polled the smart people here).

As for all the car suggestions, I really appreciate them but I’ve done a lot of homework/dreaming and I’m pretty set on one of those two cars (or something very very similar). I haven’t owned a car in ten years because I’ve been waiting to get a dream car, not a commuter car!

Here’s where I am at. The two cars don’t even come out until about spring 2020. I’m going to continue to save cash, monitor my investments, price out options, and test drive both cars when they come out. At that point I’ll post an update on $ position and thoughts on moving forward (lease, buy, wait for a used version, etc).

Thanks again everyone.
Would a used sports car really not work for you?

Sports cars are high depreciation. 2-3 year old one could work out far far cheaper. You likely only want to keep the thing for 3 years yourself - that's the nature of the beast, unless it's an absolute classic.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Steady59 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:04 pm
wrongfunds wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:41 am
My '75 BMW 2002, which I got for $12k two years ago
IS there a typo? Later in the paragraph, he also mentions being able to afford the entire engine rebuild on it if needed. Something is not computing.
No typo. My point is that there are many vintage cars, which are less expensive and still appreciating, that can provide a huge fun factor. The BMW 2002 is one of those IMO. It works for me...Driving slow fast. I could take my car to the track tomorrow.

My motor is fine, but a high end rebuild can be done rather cheaply and I’m still not upside down.
2002 is a wonder car

But I can't imagine using it for day to day commuting? I grew up in a place full of winter road salt, so it would kill the car (body & internals) pretty quickly (that's why they are so rare - I understand it is different in California).

And the safety is just not there - airbags, ESC, anti lock brakes etc. In fact, how good are the shoulder belts? A modern shoulder belt is technically quite a clever thing.

My mother has not driven in 60 years. But in her lifetime she's had 2 major car accidents - the first when the car had almost no safety equipment (she still bears the scars of that one); the second she & my father could have been very seriously injured (they had whiplash) but the car's safety systems (1990s vintage) worked.

Another relation lives in another one of those icy, snow cities -- and has been rearended twice, seriously. But they drive a small SUV (those winters, again) and survived with minor injuries. America is the land of colossal SUVs (with physics determining their long stopping distances) - do you want to be the guy underneath in a smash?

A 2002 would be fun for a weekend spin in the summer, or a trip to the track. But day to day?
Steady59

Post by Steady59 »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:40 am
Steady59 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:04 pm
wrongfunds wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:41 am
My '75 BMW 2002, which I got for $12k two years ago
IS there a typo? Later in the paragraph, he also mentions being able to afford the entire engine rebuild on it if needed. Something is not computing.
No typo. My point is that there are many vintage cars, which are less expensive and still appreciating, that can provide a huge fun factor. The BMW 2002 is one of those IMO. It works for me...Driving slow fast. I could take my car to the track tomorrow.

My motor is fine, but a high end rebuild can be done rather cheaply and I’m still not upside down.
2002 is a wonder car

But I can't imagine using it for day to day commuting? I grew up in a place full of winter road salt, so it would kill the car (body & internals) pretty quickly (that's why they are so rare - I understand it is different in California).

And the safety is just not there - airbags, ESC, anti lock brakes etc. In fact, how good are the shoulder belts? A modern shoulder belt is technically quite a clever thing.

My mother has not driven in 60 years. But in her lifetime she's had 2 major car accidents - the first when the car had almost no safety equipment (she still bears the scars of that one); the second she & my father could have been very seriously injured (they had whiplash) but the car's safety systems (1990s vintage) worked.

Another relation lives in another one of those icy, snow cities -- and has been rearended twice, seriously. But they drive a small SUV (those winters, again) and survived with minor injuries. America is the land of colossal SUVs (with physics determining their long stopping distances) - do you want to be the guy underneath in a smash?

A 2002 would be fun for a weekend spin in the summer, or a trip to the track. But day to day?
I should clarify - I am retired so it is my daily but I don’t commute in it. I do drive it 20-30 miles each day, more on weekends. Older cars do require that you be extra alert and I do agree that it’s not the safest car due to its age. I installed brighter bulbs in all of the important lights and added an LED strip as a third brake light. Updating the seatbelts are on the list. It’s been dead on reliable but it gets better care than most children.

It’s a super fun car to own and drive and definitely scratches one of my sports car itches. AC would be nice as I’m in FL. but it has the front triangle window vents which are pretty effective.

“In 1976, God stopped building BMWs” :happy
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

misterg wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:04 pm Since I was a kid, I’ve always dreamed of having a sports car. I want to do it in my lifetime. How much longer do I need to wait? Or, can I pull the trigger now? I want a convertible, something FAST and preferably stick shift (dying breed). The new Vette doesn’t have a manual option but it wins in terms of speed/value.

Front runners for cars:
2020 Corvette Stingray (~$80k)
2020 Porsche Boxster Spyder (~98k)

Income: ~$250k/year pre tax, maxing out 401k, backdoor Roth, and ESPP at work.
Living: Rent 3k/month (HCOL area)
Debt: None
Life insurance: personal $100k (20k cash value) policy plus employer 2X salary benefit
Savings: 750k (80/20 stocks/bonds)

I wouldn't wait a minute longer.
Light weight baby!
jb1

Post by jb1 »

I’d get a used GTR for that price. For the speed and aesthetics it’s worth the automatic trans
boywonder204

Post by boywonder204 »

Absolutely, do it while you can and the stick shifts are still newer and still around!

If you want a stick, and with the new corvettes coming out I would imagine the last gen C7 ZR1, Z06's will be taking a hit as everyone seems to be wanting the new C8 so you could go for some arbitrage.

Also the Boxster would be awesome too, I've heard great things about the Cayman GT4 as far as value and stick.

Please do it, for the rest of us who can't at the moment. 8-)
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

How is the reliability of an older Porsche? Say 10 years old. It might be fun to get one on the cheap just for the weekend drives.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:36 am How is the reliability of an older Porsche? Say 10 years old. It might be fun to get one on the cheap just for the weekend drives.
Porsche has been at or near the top in reliability among German manufacturers for quite some time now, and pretty high up on the overall list. I would expect it to be fine, especially for a non-DD.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

new2bogle wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:36 am How is the reliability of an older Porsche? Say 10 years old. It might be fun to get one on the cheap just for the weekend drives.
They are generally reliable, but up to 2008 the Boxter/911s still had IMS bearing issues to worry about. Aftermarket retrofits are available for a few thousand that reduce the risk, but an original IMS bearing presents a risk of total engine failure. Supposedly the 2005-8 models are better, and 2009+ don't have that issue. Turbo and GT3 models were not impacted.
newdoc

Post by newdoc »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Kenkat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:08 pm It’s not allowable to post about a potential sports car purchase without posting which car it is you are looking at. This gives the other forum members the opportunity to either 1) live vicariously through you or 2) recommend a different car, typically the one they drive. :D
Some Tesla fanboi will be along shortly. And someone will suggest a Toyota.
This is neither here nor there but I gotta say, I was the biggest Tesla trash-talker before I test drove a Model S a few days ago. The thing is absolutely stunning and will convert you into a Tesla-vangelist(TM) immediately. It is an extremely smooth ride, it feels like you're driving a hovercraft or a spaceship and it is extremely fast. The torque was amazing as well, it whips around turns phenomenally. The autopilot was really neat too; that would be useful for long drives or traffic jams when you prefer to relax a bit. But the ride itself is what is really a cathartic experience. All the worries about electric cars are being alleviated now as well, the charging station network has expanded tremendously (except in North Dakota), and the Teslas can go hundreds of miles on a single charge plus you can charge them at home overnight. On very long distance drives, the navigation system also will plot out a route that includes when and where to stop for charging. Updates are made automatically via software so you're not really missing out as your Tesla ages. Routine maintenance, with the obvious exception of tire maintenance is not really necessary as the car is all electric. Of note, all-wheel drive comes standard now.

I'm a young single guy making some money now as well; I was looking at Porsche, BMW etc but in a split second I was converted and my next car when I do get one WILL be a Tesla. In fact, I don't think I'll buy a gas vehicle ever again and it's clear to me that electrics will phase out gas cars in a generation. Before you go down the "sports car" road, you have to at least test drive a Model S! Consider the model S Performance which is not really a sports car in terms of looks (still elegant and beautiful) but behaves like one with a peak 0-60 acceleration of 2.4s (MotorTrend got this down to 2.28s); even the slower accelerating long range model is so fast and smooth you'll feel like you're crossing into another dimension when you hit the pedal. Also, if you are up for the cost, hold off and take a look at the Tesla Roadster planned for release in late 2020; it's extremely sexy and is going to be the fastest production car EVER with a peak 0-60 of 1.9sec. Bear in mind, at $200K it's about twice as much as the Model S Performance which, as it exists today, is already faster accelerating than Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti and every other hypercar!

Other thing to consider is the impractical nature of a lot of "sports cars." I was seriously considering a Porsche 911 before I discovered Tesla but was apprehensive because I couldn't imagine myself using it on a regular basis. I can't fit even a week's worth of my groceries into the limited space. I couldn't fit a medium-sized suitcase in it on a drive to the airport or a long distance drive; I'd literally have to rent another car. The thing that most bothered me were those sham seats in the back. It's like, yes they're technically seats they're just not meant for actual sitting. Philosophically, I can't stand non-functional structures. And I totally understand folks who use it as a daily driver in conjunction with perhaps another larger car, but I imagine most young, single, affluent guys have no line of reasoning that would lead them towards a need to possess multiple vehicles. Like, if I'm a young single guy (which I am) and I have a nice car, I want to be driving that one car around all the time! It's basically a toy car, a thing that I'd "play with" but not "use." Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but as someone who lives quite a bit out of my car, I realized it was just wildly impractical for me personally and that my daily frustration in working around this impracticality would quickly surpass the, no doubt fleeting, euphoria that comes with driving a Porsche.

But, all that said, back to Boglehead's fiscal sobriety mode: I personally don't consider a car affordable until I can afford it both in terms of cash flow and mental capacity. Last thing I need in my life right now is an exorbitantly expensive car that takes me 20 minutes to park cuz I'm scared I might nudge it on the curb (although Tesla also parallel parks for you) or the ever-simmering anxiety of hoping nobody hits my car while I'm at the Outback Steakhouse with friends. I'd need not just the cash but the ability to say "oh well" if the car was damaged somehow. In those terms, I'd guess most people are able to afford/tolerate a car that's worth around 10-15% or their net worth/salary. If I have $50K in the bank, I feel like I can say "oh freaking well" to maybe a $5000 dollar car, but I'm already starting to feel a knot in my stomach at $10,000.
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

Update: Ordered a car!

After riding out this crazy year, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 2021 GTS 4.0. Almost the exact same engine/transmission/suspension/body as the Spyder but cheaper (and I like the wheels better :) ). Income and savings have actually increased exponentially this year and I thought if not now, when? Will post pictures when I receive the car!

Thank you everyone for your insight.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

misterg wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:34 pm Update: Ordered a car!

After riding out this crazy year, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 2021 GTS 4.0. Almost the exact same engine as the Spyder but cheaper (and I like the wheels better :) ). Income and savings have actually increased exponentially this year and I thought if not now, when? Will post pictures when I receive the car!

Excellent! Cayman GTS is the best choice! Post build sheet?
Hastur

Post by Hastur »

I would go for 911 992
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

Nice! I just started looking at those to replace my '03 Vette (Z06 of course).

After riding out this crazy year, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 2021 GTS 4.0. Almost the exact same engine/transmission/suspension/body as the Spyder but cheaper (and I like the wheels better :) ). Income and savings have actually increased exponentially this year and I thought if not now, when? Will post pictures when I receive the car!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Cayman GTS? The H6 is certainly nice. I drove a base Cayman last week and crossed it off my list of "want to buy" cars. I'm sure the GTS is much better. Too big for me.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
humbledinvestor

Post by humbledinvestor »

CeeKay1729 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:18 pm Yes, you can afford it. Do it now because your future wife will kill that dream :wink:
+1
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Congrats!

Please update us with your thoughts when you get it and your build sheet.

I’ve been considering a GTS 4 and but I’ve got some back issues and don’t think I’d be able to drive it enough to be worth it, wish I could daily something like that

In the interim id love to live vicariously through your experience!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 am Cayman GTS?
He contrasted it with the Boxter Spyder, so I'm guessing it's the 718 Boxter GTS 4.0.

Congrats! I've started looking at the Boxter GTS 4.0 and Spyder recently myself. Post either your Porsche Code or build sheet so we can all enjoy! How far out is your allocation, and what, if any discount did you manage?
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

From a financial standpoint I’ve been told to buy value and lease luxury... Aside from that heck yeah! Get one while younger if you are already FI. So congrats!

If this is your first high powered car and you are anywhere near LA or Atlanta go do the Porsche driving experience thingy.

https://www.porschedriving.com/track-experience

I tracked mine (non competitive track days) for a little while to learn to drive better and took a course or two. It also took the edge off wanting to drive too fast on public roads...

It should be hella fun and you’ll learn a lot...without wrecking your new baby.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Valuethinker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:35 am
misterg wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:24 am Thanks everyone for all the really thoughtful (and varied) responses. Definitely lots of food for thought.

I realize there are more things I could divulge to get more tailored advice (income sources, career stage and progression over time, cash reserves earmarked for purchase, my location, savings rate over time, SSN.. just kidding) but I posted the most basic info to get a gut check on the purchase. It seems like the overall sentiment is that it would be bit of a stretch to spend that kind of money at this point. Maybe the answer is waiting a bit for a used version, leasing, or something else.

I realize we can always wait longer and save even more money... but to echo what some have said, money is a tool. Eventually you should enjoy some of it (but I want to do it responsibly, which is why I polled the smart people here).

As for all the car suggestions, I really appreciate them but I’ve done a lot of homework/dreaming and I’m pretty set on one of those two cars (or something very very similar). I haven’t owned a car in ten years because I’ve been waiting to get a dream car, not a commuter car!

Here’s where I am at. The two cars don’t even come out until about spring 2020. I’m going to continue to save cash, monitor my investments, price out options, and test drive both cars when they come out. At that point I’ll post an update on $ position and thoughts on moving forward (lease, buy, wait for a used version, etc).

Thanks again everyone.
Would a used sports car really not work for you?

Sports cars are high depreciation. 2-3 year old one could work out far far cheaper. You likely only want to keep the thing for 3 years yourself - that's the nature of the beast, unless it's an absolute classic.
To the contrary, sports cars tend to depreciate quite a bit less than "normal" cars these days. Luxury cars depreciate at a much higher rate, likely because they are usually daily drivers, and the comfort/tech doo dads go obsolete. Horsepower, handling, and looks are never obsolete.
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:24 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 am Cayman GTS?
He contrasted it with the Boxter Spyder, so I'm guessing it's the 718 Boxter GTS 4.0.

Congrats! I've started looking at the Boxter GTS 4.0 and Spyder recently myself. Post either your Porsche Code or build sheet so we can all enjoy! How far out is your allocation, and what, if any discount did you manage?

Yep, Boxster GTS 4.0. Manual transmission, black on black with leather interior, turbo wheels. Allocation is for late July— there were only 4 builds left in the country. I lost a couple allocations trying to haggle price... so ended up paying full price to be able to secure the allocation. Demand is so high right now!
Last edited by misterg on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

Excellent, enjoy!

Did you get the stick or PDK?
Tomorrow never knows.
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

Average Investor wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm Excellent, enjoy!

Stick! Updated post.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 am Cayman GTS? The H6 is certainly nice. I drove a base Cayman last week and crossed it off my list of "want to buy" cars. I'm sure the GTS is much better. Too big for me.
You need to drive the GTS. The experience is vastly different from base to GTS. What other cars are on your list if a Cayman is too big? 4C, Evora?
Average Investor

Post by Average Investor »

misterg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:13 pm
Average Investor wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm Excellent, enjoy!

Stick! Updated post.
Great call (though I’m sure the PDK is great too).

I’m near the local Porsche dealer now, going to take a look for grins.
Tomorrow never knows.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Congrats on your decision.

It’s kinda funny how reading this thread makes me want to get a sports car.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
plasticofantastico

Post by plasticofantastico »

Congrats. You’ll love it..
rob

Post by rob »

misterg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:44 pm Yep, Boxster GTS 4.0. Manual transmission, black on black with leather interior, turbo wheels. Allocation is for late July— there were only 4 builds left in the country. I lost a couple allocations trying to haggle price... so ended up paying full price to be able to secure the allocation. Demand is so high right now!
Dad - is that you? :-) Damn - what a great choice... Enjoy!!
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
molgamic

Post by molgamic »

:o You're gonna love it!! What's your income now / what do you do for a living?
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

molgamic wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:32 am

:o You're gonna love it!! What's your income now / what do you do for a living?
About 400k / in the tech industry.
UncleLeo

Post by UncleLeo »

Congrats!
Curious to hear your POV - have you considered buying a used 981 Boxster S? It seems that the market price for it is somewhere around $45k. So one has to wonder - is the 2021 GTS 4.0 twice a better car? I'm seriously asking. Not by any means judging your decision.
Carnut

Post by Carnut »

I currently own a C8 Corvette and it is impressive but is automatic only with dual clutch. They are difficult to impossible to find at a dealer unless you pay over msrp so you would need to order one from one of the big 3 corvette dealers. Had a C7 Corvette Z06 manual prior to that and that would certainly fit the bill. Porsche makes some excellent drivers cars. Another option might be a Mazda Miata.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Congratulations! No one can fault you for making a quick emotional decision.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

bogledogle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:18 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 am Cayman GTS? The H6 is certainly nice. I drove a base Cayman last week and crossed it off my list of "want to buy" cars. I'm sure the GTS is much better. Too big for me.
You need to drive the GTS. The experience is vastly different from base to GTS. What other cars are on your list if a Cayman is too big? 4C, Evora?
Would have to be manual, so a 4C wouldn't work. Evora is sort of too big (drove one long ago, when I had the Elise). Sorta looking towards something like an S2000 or the like. For the moment, while accepting my let down of the base Cayman drive, I've installed lowering springs in my Crosstrek 6Mt. It's not a sports car, but the improved handling was more than worth the couple hours of work. RS-R makes the springs and did a very nice job.
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

SmileyFace wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:27 am

Congratulations! No one can fault you for making a quick emotional decision.
Ugh you are so right— those 20 months to discuss, research, plan and save resulted in a super quick, reactive, emotional decision :happy.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Do yourself and your family one big favor...sign up for a driving school. You may THINK you know how to drive this car but trust me...a 911 is insane in how well it can make you feel just until you dont...LOL...been there done that..my personal toy is a GTR and its pretty quick as well...I spent three days learning how to drive years ago...as did my wife...best money we ever spent on personal safety...but also ENJOY THE CAR!!!!!!!
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

OldBallCoach wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:12 am Do yourself and your family one big favor...sign up for a driving school. You may THINK you know how to drive this car but trust me...a 911 is insane in how well it can make you feel just until you dont...LOL...been there done that..my personal toy is a GTR and its pretty quick as well...I spent three days learning how to drive years ago...as did my wife...best money we ever spent on personal safety...but also ENJOY THE CAR!!!!!!!
Will definitely take your advice. There are a few track events in my area through Porsche that have a driving school component. Hopefully will be able to find one that happens right around the delivery date!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Absolutely do the driving schools. PCA runs them, you can do BMW CCA ones by joining the club (you don't have to own a BMW), SCCA runs schools and lots of scattered clubs do. I taught as a driving instructor with BMW, COM (local time trial club) and SCDA (private school) for a dozen years. In all of that time, I had only 2 new-to-the-track students who knew how to drive. One was an ice racer and the other a national champion autocrosser. That's out of hundreds of students. Nearly all made significant improvements after just four 20 minute sessions.

If you want less risk, autocross. Lower speed, much lower risk. Less driving time in a day, though.
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

Took delivery of the car in August. If only I could figure out how to post a photo of it!
Topic Author
misterg

Post by misterg »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 am Absolutely do the driving schools. PCA runs them, you can do BMW CCA ones by joining the club (you don't have to own a BMW), SCCA runs schools and lots of scattered clubs do. I taught as a driving instructor with BMW, COM (local time trial club) and SCDA (private school) for a dozen years. In all of that time, I had only 2 new-to-the-track students who knew how to drive. One was an ice racer and the other a national champion autocrosser. That's out of hundreds of students. Nearly all made significant improvements after just four 20 minute sessions.

If you want less risk, autocross. Lower speed, much lower risk. Less driving time in a day, though.
I definitely want to do this. I think they may be shut down for the winter but will definitely look into it for spring. After a few months with the car I’ve realized that the 0-60 is not the thrill— the corners are! I want to push the mid engine center of gravity as much as I can.
Eat33

Post by Eat33 »

Maybe consider a Panamera.

Looks good, comfortable and has a lot of utility with a trunk and four seats.
Eat33

Post by Eat33 »

Sorry for the late post
Not Jacob Fugger

Post by Not Jacob Fugger »

misterg wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:11 am Took delivery of the car in August. If only I could figure out how to post a photo of it!
Consider posting your build sheet via copy and paste. Did you get any fun frivolous extras? Such as:

Sport chrono?
Deviated stitching?
Sport design mirrors?
CF trim?
Heated steering wheel?

Not suggesting in the least that your call is any the lesser if you didn’t — there is a dizzying variety of options and just would like to see what you chose. Have a great time in that new car!
teamDE

Post by teamDE »

I saw this thread too late. You shoulda got an older Cayman S and spent the rest on track days. :)

I have a 981 Cayman S and it is a true joy. I track it 8-9 weekends a year in a time trial series and have a blast. It's such a rare combo of comfortable enough for a 7hr trip to Watkins Glen with the wife and legit worthy on track in terms of reliability and performance. I've been driving things on track for 17 years and the Cayman is the real deal, even stock.