Internet fees

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rafkg29

Internet fees

Post by rafkg29 »

How can I get cheaper or free internet?
sjt

Re: Internet fees

Post by sjt »

Visit your local library
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Libraries, Malls, coffee shops among other places will let you use the internet for free.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Our local library has several mobile WiFi boxes that they lend out. I know a foreign university student that has been able to use one for most of the past year. I believe she had to turn it in a few times and get it again soon thereafter. I think she also had some sort of data she bought or used university WiFi when she was without library unit.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

If you're paying for a cellular plan anyway you can use a smartphone as a hotspot.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

rafkg29 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:03 pm How can I get cheaper or free internet?
See if your neighbor will share their password with you.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

For a period of time, you could get away with $260ish per year.

It is gone now, but there may be others.

From here:https://slickdeals.net/f/9203771-4gcomm ... SiteSearch

Details:
"4gcommunity.org: Unlimited Hotspot Data $260 ($168 for 1 year + netgear fuse hotspot+ $10 membership fee)
I was checking out calyx institute and I believe they were overcharging their services. 4gcommunity.org is also a reseller of Mobile Citizen which runs on Sprint. You have the option of paying semi-annual ($90.00), quarterly ($48.00), or bi-monthly ($36.00) if yearly($168) does not work for you. I'm not a hundred percent sure of the qualifications but they seem to be open to anyone who wants affordable internet. At the very least, I was told families were able to take advantage of this. Essentially, you could be potentially be paying for Unlimited Data at the rate of $14/month. However, I believe you are stuck on the hardware you are given (fuse hotspot). They do not require proof of income. Sprint's service was not good in my area, but 4gcommunity was very detail-oriented in addressing questions!

Edit: now 4gcommunity is offering alternative LTE devices but the subscription price is more but you get access to the Spark/LTE plus Network! You can get a Spark modem (Netgear 6100D, may be better for reception) for $500 and comes with 12 month of service. Thereafter the subscription costs $255(yearly), $132(semi-annual), $70 (quarterly) or bi-monthly ($50.00). Alternatively, you can get the ZTE Pocket Wifi for $410 that also includes 12 months of service with the same subscription cost thereafter as the Netgear 6100D. This is potentially $21.25/month which is cheaper than other ISPs and "competitors" (they are generally limited bandwidth for the same or more price!)."
batpot

Post by batpot »

4gcommunity.org redirects to omaha steaks now.
post on reddit about it, from November 2017:
https://www.reddit.com/r/4GCommunity/co ... y_is_done/
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Looks like NetZero is still in business (~$30.00/ month)

https://www.netzero.net/start/www.do?action=/
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Post by 123 »

Depending on your income, living situation, and area of residence you might qualify for free or low cost internet from a telephone or cable company that services your area. Many states have programs that provide utility-type services at lower rates to the financially disadvantaged.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have Comcast for $19.99 a month. I think that is very reasonable. It is 25 Mbps download and I can stream video on multiple tvs. It is good for 1 TB a month, which is ton of usage. We have a streaming service for tv and never come close to using that. It was a one year deal and I had my own modem. The shocking thing was the bill is actually $19.99. Where I live they tax and fee everything to death. After the year is up, I'm not sure if it goes to $30 or $40 a month. I might switch back to AT&T if it is $40 and I can get it for $20 from them.
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

Once 5g data technology becomes widespread, all these companies will have to lower their prices in order to survive. I went from $19.99 Dial Up to $22.83 DSL to $44.95 Cable (100mb, making it cheaper per mb). Check out the following site to see your low cost options:

www.cheapinternet.com

Mainly offers for those who are low income.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

If you have a smartphone and don't need a lot of data, a low cost provider like Mint that offers free tethering could work. If you are going to be streaming a lot of video, that wouldn't be a cheap option though.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:01 pm I have Comcast for $19.99 a month. I think that is very reasonable. It is 25 Mbps download and I can stream video on multiple tvs. It is good for 1 TB a month, which is ton of usage. We have a streaming service for tv and never come close to using that. It was a one year deal and I had my own modem. The shocking thing was the bill is actually $19.99. Where I live they tax and fee everything to death. After the year is up, I'm not sure if it goes to $30 or $40 a month. I might switch back to AT&T if it is $40 and I can get it for $20 from them.
I have the same deal.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:05 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:01 pm I have Comcast for $19.99 a month. I think that is very reasonable. It is 25 Mbps download and I can stream video on multiple tvs. It is good for 1 TB a month, which is ton of usage. We have a streaming service for tv and never come close to using that. It was a one year deal and I had my own modem. The shocking thing was the bill is actually $19.99. Where I live they tax and fee everything to death. After the year is up, I'm not sure if it goes to $30 or $40 a month. I might switch back to AT&T if it is $40 and I can get it for $20 from them.
I have the same deal.
My brother has it too. Buying your own modem (even used) makes it a great deal. I believe I had to do online (paperless) billing or it was $5 more a month.
mav12

Post by mav12 »

I have the same deal.
Limited time only, right, like a year ?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

mav12 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:53 pm
I have the same deal.
Limited time only, right, like a year ?
No. I push for it every 12 months. Year two end soon.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.