What Are Your Simple Pleasures?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AerialWombat

Re: What Are Your Simple Pleasures?

Post by AerialWombat »

delete
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
buccimane

Post by buccimane »

DanMahowny wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:29 pm 60-90 minute showers.

Driving with windows down and AC on full blast.
We could be best friends
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Walking my dog. He is 13 years old, not as spry as he used to be. Nowadays, he can usually make a mile to a mile-and-a-half. We have walked hundreds of miles together.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Making coffee in my PJs and reading the Wall Street Journal while sipping my coffee. Not having to rush off to a job. Choosing to work a part-time job because I want to.

Having enough leisure time to date a man an hour away (in no traffic) and being able to drive there when there is no traffic.

Buying myself an espresso machine!

Taking some trips to Europe after saving and hardly ever taking vacations for most of my adult life. Being able to afford study abroad programs for both children (combined with the trips to Europe). Enjoying their gratitude.

This forum!
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Reading Kindle next to my gas fireplace in a recliner with footstool while slowly sipping a glass of aged port or Grand Marnier.
Too bad winter is over now and today is probably one of the last nights I will be able to do that as I am going to shutdown pilot on my gas fireplace till next winter, probably this weekend.
Pu239

Post by Pu239 »

Gardening...then watching my hard earned labors pounded into a pulp by summer hail storms.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
22twain

Post by 22twain »

The weekly senior citizens' discount buffet at the local pizza joint.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

buccimane wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:06 am

We could be best friends
In other news, the cops pulled over two naked pruney gentlemen driving around Montrose this morning with the windows down and the AC on full blast even though the temp was 60 degrees outside. Officer Hernandez said, "One of my simple pleasures is giving a warning ticket for indecent exposure."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
23mako

Post by 23mako »

Fishing, early mornings, coffee, playing with my dog, martinis (please no one ask gin or vodka...there is only one way to make a martini!) :sharebeer
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

We could be best friends
Wow - 90 minute showers? What are you doing in the showers that would take that long? Won't your skin dry out?
22twain

Post by 22twain »

For that amount of time, I prefer to soak in the tub while reading a few magazines.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Hot bath everyday in a Jacuzzi size tub.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Caduceus wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:09 am

We could be best friends
Wow - 90 minute showers? What are you doing in the showers that would take that long? Won't your skin dry out?
I think the combined time of my showers over the past month might be 90min. And yes, I shower daily.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

You will be poor if you are in California. 90 minutes is a lot of water.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Walking the dog is way up there, but my favorite is vacations that include good bicycle paths. Examples include Acadia National Park, Montreal, and Chattanooga. Also good wood fired pizza.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Standing up in a small cell where you cannot really move for 90 minutes with water pouring on me sounds like a sadistic method of torture.
SuperSaver1975

Post by SuperSaver1975 »

Home made ice cream using grass-fed cream, milk and eggs.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:42 pm

We could be best friends
I think the combined time of my showers over the past month might be 90min. And yes, I shower daily.
Multiple shower heads is almost as good as a hot tub. Almost. And probably cheaper.
stereotaxis

Post by stereotaxis »

Reading bogleheads.org

It is like participating in extended conversations from intelligent, polite friends.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Buying upgrades for a hobby you enjoy, when you can really use them.

It's one thing to start out with the best equipment. It's a totally different experience to get by with the cheap stuff until you know with certainty that you can put the best equipment to good use.

Also, sitting. Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Coffee.

Being able to buy as many cases of wine as the store carries, because we liked it (and it was on sale)

Spending money on travel.
Last year I went Vegas, Chicago, Napa, San Diego, Australia and Maui for pleasure.

Spending money on art

Not caring [edited by Moderator Misenplace] at work, while pretending to of course

Plying my boss with 6 drinks and listening to him complain about this years bonus payouts was priceless :mrgreen:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tooluser wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:12 pm
stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:42 pm

We could be best friends
Multiple shower heads is almost as good as a hot tub. Almost. And probably cheaper.
To each their own. Showers, hot tubs, baths; not really my thing. Get in, get clean, get out. We have jets in our master en suite, that bath has been used maybe 4 times in 3yrs and only when our kids have begged to play in the "big bath".
champion_ham

Post by champion_ham »

Taking long walks around the neighborhood with my best friend, my wife.
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

1. Enjoying Latte on the patio
2. Walking my 2 doggies
3. Hot Bath
4. Walking on the beach
siker

Post by siker »

Meditation while running.
Listening to interesting podcasts while doing mundane tasks
Finding the latest issue of a magazine subscription in the mailbox.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

For sone reason this thread makes me think of the lyrics to the song "Escape".

"If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
If you´re not into yoga, if you have half a brain
If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape
I´m the love that you´ve looked for, write to me, and escape"

"Yes, I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain
I´m not much into health food, I am into champagne
I´ve got to meet you by tomorrow noon, and cut through all this red tape
At a bar called O'Malley's, where we´ll plan our escape"
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Swimming my laps at 7am with steam sometimes rising from the water as the palm trees sway.
prettybogle

Post by prettybogle »

Reading on my kindle
Gardening
Occasional night out at our favorite club in downtown
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

Playing racquetball with a group that meets weekly. Great exercise in a short period of time and so much fun!!!
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

TheTimeLord wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:28 am Telling skinny FIRE folks I buy Starbucks.
lol bravo! :D
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

- Midnight motorcycle rides along the ocean when I have the roads to myself
- Sitting with a cup of coffee on a weekday morning on the beach watching the world go by
- Walking or playing fetch with the dog, he reminds me how just simple things can bring joy vs “stuff”
LatentStoic

Post by LatentStoic »

Even though I graduated from college almost 32 years ago, I STILL get a sense of relief realizing I don’t have to study on Sunday nights anymore, and can just chill reading anything I want to instead.
Bogleheads Retirement Class of 2020 at age 55, with Vanguard since 1992. Paraphrasing Rick Ferri, I was “born in darkness, found indexing enlightenment, overcomplicated everything, embraced simplicity.”
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

capitalhockey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 am Similar to everyone here, I am very good at saving money. There are some consumer items that brings me pleasure and to me, are worth the spending. I don't consider them extravagant but simple pleasures.

1) Running Shoes. Changed to new pair this morning and feels like I am walking on air. I went to running store to get properly fit and test out all types/brands running shoes on their on-site treadmill. I run 3x a week at gym and walk 1 mile daily to work (get off at earlier train station and walk rest of way to office for exercise). Cost was about $80.

2) Nespresso Espresso Machine. I am not a coffee snob but can't stand K-Cup coffee....it taste very watery to me. I also have a french press but it takes some time/effort to make a cup of coffee (more of a weekend treat). This machine is literally just 2 mins and I am out the door to work. I look forward to waking up every morning to make a strong and tasty latte to start the day. I also discover an Almond Roca sugar free syrup that I add to my latte. Taste as good as any $5 latte from Starbucks. Cost was about $150 for machine.

What are your simple pleasures?
My simple pleasures are listening to music and walking my dog. Simple and free.
mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 »

Watching baseball.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
Tlmlb

Post by Tlmlb »

College baseball tickets
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

Walking several miles at a time, tap dancing, listening to Clark Howard podcasts, exploring bookstores, birdwatching.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

capitalhockey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 am
2) Nespresso Espresso Machine. I am not a coffee snob but can't stand K-Cup coffee....it taste very watery to me.
Yes!

Coffee capsules are almost universally awful. The one notable exception is Nespresso. I've been a fan and a customer for almost 20 years. In that time I've moved from the Europe to the US, back to Europe, then the Middle East. I've bought a machine in each location, one of my first purchases when I move (moving from Dubai to Cyprus, I could actually ship my Nespresso machine, since the electricity plugs are the same).

There is no comparison to other capsule machines. Nespresso is the clear winner.

And sitting in my garden in the morning, listening to the birds and enjoying my daily Roma, is a true pleasure.
Asset Allocation: VT
Topic Author
capitalhockey

Post by capitalhockey »

Prahasaurus wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:14 pm
capitalhockey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 am
2) Nespresso Espresso Machine. I am not a coffee snob but can't stand K-Cup coffee....it taste very watery to me.
Yes!

Coffee capsules are almost universally awful. The one notable exception is Nespresso. I've been a fan and a customer for almost 20 years. In that time I've moved from the Europe to the US, back to Europe, then the Middle East. I've bought a machine in each location, one of my first purchases when I move (moving from Dubai to Cyprus, I could actually ship my Nespresso machine, since the electricity plugs are the same).

There is no comparison to other capsule machines. Nespresso is the clear winner.

And sitting in my garden in the morning, listening to the birds and enjoying my daily Roma, is a true pleasure.
Which machine model do you like? I have a Citiz and loved it!

Do you like the new type of Nespresso machines that also make coffee?
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

capitalhockey wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 am Which machine model do you like? I have a Citiz and loved it!

Do you like the new type of Nespresso machines that also make coffee?
Love your name. My son is a very good hockey player, currently in the Jr leagues in the USA. He wants to make hockey his career in some form or another. I just hope he gets a scholarship to university... :-)

I as well have a Citiz! Without the milk option. I love the simplicity of the design, and it has never failed me.

I didn't realize you could get a Nespresso machine that also makes American style coffee (I assume that's what you meant). I will probably stick with my classic machine for espresso and occasionally cappuccino.
Asset Allocation: VT
jminv

Post by jminv »

Nespresso capsules. (30-35 cents each, cheaper here than what they cost in the states)

I could save quite a bit on capsules by using a generic but I've tried that and all the other brands are universally inferior. I do wait until Nespresso has a quarterly sale with 30% off and stock up.

I no longer buy the cheapest beer. I go with beer that I really like.

Two simple pleasures in life.
Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 »

That first cup of coffee in the morning listening to my wind chimes and birdsong and the buzz of a distant lawnmower while sitting in my easy chair with the windows wide open.
My once a week walk on a park trail with my sister as we catch up on our lives.
Working on one of my new craft hobbies: beading, making jewelry, and diamond art painting.
Reading on my iPad this site as well as other news sites.
Petting my sweet cat who loves me to death....lol, she follows me everywhere.
Porch sitting while watching the world go by. Especially in the evening as sun is setting with a nice glass of wine.
I’m loving retirement! :D
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

Starfish wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm I've been backpacking in tough mountains since I was 18 (including in the winter at subzero temperatures) but it is first time when I hear that you need a GPS something to backpack.
You don't "need" GPS, in the same way that you don't "need" paper maps, or even shoes. But a GPS/mapping app on your smartphone sure can be handy, in the same way that paper maps can be handy, but more so. Imagine having dozens of paper topo maps in your pocket. Imagine that they had a "magic" feature that pinpoints on the map exactly where you are at all times. A GPS/mapping app is like that.

It's a simple pleasure, but useful also.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

Watching my yard getting cleaned and mowed and the way it looks after - well worth the cost.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Dinner with a friend where 1 person pays.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Workinprogress

Post by Workinprogress »

Sitting on the front deck cracking nuts I grew, talking with my wife and watching all the birds flying and soaring.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

stereotaxis wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:16 pm Reading bogleheads.org

It is like participating in extended conversations from intelligent, polite friends.
I completely agree. A much kinder place than Facebook.

Also, my new espresso maker. I'm gonna have fun learning to froth milk and create art in my coffee!
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Watching college football from the couch.
Fudgie

Post by Fudgie »

Last edited by Fudgie on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bagle

Post by bagle »

I count coffee as the no. 1 choice by far in this thread.

I heartily agree (though I alternate between Aeropress americanos and Cafelat expresso machiatos).
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

BBC radio online. Test match cricket!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“