Cox Retention Department

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Cox Retention Department

Post by DTalos »

I've read on this and other forums about negotiating high speed internet rates with Cox representatives in the retention department. I did an internet search and could not find their telephone number. My high speed internet monthly rate recently increased significantly. I wish to remain with Cox at the same internet speed service level. Does the retention department have a specific telephone number or is it a euphemism for one of the menu options presented when you call the main local number? Does Cox have unadvertised promotions (senior citizen rates, etc)? If the discount offered is measly, do you call back in a few days to see if another representative can offer a bigger discount (like going back to the same auto dealership a few days later and getting a different salesperson who might offer you a better deal on the same car)?
Pocanutin

Re: Cox Retention Department

Post by Pocanutin »

We just terminated COX and initially attempted to reach the retention department. When we finally did, we were told that there was no direct number to contact that department. We had been customers for 11years and had previously negotiated price reductions. After all of these years, we joyously bid Cox adieu.

Beware of shady Cox billing practices, particularly if you attempt to disconnect or change services. Google review of Cox for further info.

P
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I have had success with this each in the last two years with Comcast. The first time I had a number I had googled. Second time I just said in the voice prompt "I want to cancel" and got directed to them. So far I haven't been allowed to leave but I'm ready with my alternatives if and when they finally do.
bigtex

Post by bigtex »

The cox loyalty number is 844-227-3943. I have also had success with this number. 877-267-2856. The 2856 number is specifically for getting a 40% discount on your current rate because you desired to disconnect services. Mention this 40% off specially in the call and that it was because you wanted to disconnect your services and they should honor it. So if your monthly bill is $100 per month they should be able to knock it down to $60 per month. Hope this helps. It says by invitation only but that is not true.

https://www.cox.com/residential/special ... -back.html
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

I was a Cox subscriber for over 25 years and each year I called remind them of my loyalty after they raised my bill. This past renewal period I was not able to convince the retention folks I was still a loyal customer; I was all but told the rate the first line customer support agent was offering was as good as it would get. I never heard of the loyalty number mentioned previously. I have a choice of internet/tv providers in my area so I selected the competition. My only complaint with Cox was how they treated their current customers.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Where we live, and possibly where you live, our only other wired choice is copper DSL, and Cox knows it. Our Cox cost just went up another $5/month, so last week we decided to drop down from 50Mb to 30Mb download, saving $18/month. There was no loyalty program or commit-for-12-months-and-save program - Cox was strictly take-it-or-leave-it. The Cox website doesn't offer downgrade options, nor promotions that reduce your current costs, only bundles that pile on more (unneeded) services. Since I'm retired and no longer teleworking, we didn't need the higher bandwidth anyways. We don't have a house full of teenage video streamer/gamers, so no problem. Now the monthly cost is back to about where it should have been.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Supposedly you need to set up a disconnection of service date - do so towards the end of your billing cycle. Then you will get an email offering you to stay for a 40% discount.
At least this is what Slickdeals forum says.

Haven't tried it yet as we upped our service for a discount, but may try the above in 11 months...
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

bigtex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:38 pm The cox loyalty number is 844-227-3943. I have also had success with this number. 877-267-2856. The 2856 number is specifically for getting a 40% discount on your current rate because you desired to disconnect services. Mention this 40% off specially in the call and that it was because you wanted to disconnect your services and they should honor it. So if your monthly bill is $100 per month they should be able to knock it down to $60 per month. Hope this helps. It says by invitation only but that is not true.

I called the 844 number and spoke to a representative who initially only offered only about $5 off a month, which I declined. The rep then found a promotion on a higher tier of service, Ultimate, but at a lower price than what my new higher rate jumped to on the Preferred plan. I was offered $69.99 per month for two years with an early termination fee for Ultimate. I said I would think about it and the rep said she would include the offer in her notes. I called back a half hour later and told a different rep about the conversation I had and the promo offered, he said he would honor it but only for a year. Not sure about any termination fees. I accepted it.

I don't know why there was a difference in the durations of the promo, but would it be fruitful to call back and ask to see if I they could extend the promo for two years insfead of one year?

I did not call the 877 number because I read the terms and did not want to go through the disconnect process.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

The solution is to change the account holder every 2 years. Even the Fios reps Ive talked to in person do this.

At the end of the 2 year promo period:

Me: hey I’m moving out and want to terminate service on 11/1/19
Wife: hey id like to start service in my name effective 11/1/19

2 years later

Wife: hey I’m moving out and want to terminate service on 11/1/21
Me: hey id like to start service in my name effective 11/1/21
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

Bigtex,

We got 40 percent of our Cox cable bill for one year by calling the Cox phone number in your post. Our Cox bill has been steadily climbing over the past year and a half even though our service level remained the same. So, I decided to do some research on Bogleheads, and I found your post highlighting the number to call for the 40% discount. It was quick and easy, and the new pricing reflected immediately when we logged into our Cox account. Again, thanks!

Geronkas
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

I called retention dept last year but they are not willing to give any discount however I scheduled POST CANCELLATION DATE and email with 40% off came automatically by next 24 hours. I signed up with 40% offer
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
flower

Post by flower »

This information was great help. Have been paying High Cable bill for years. Finally had enough getting no where with cox retention group. Even though been customer for over 20 years. Found this site called number what a savings!!!
josh143

Post by josh143 »

So, is the consensus that you have to request cancellation and then you receive an e-mail offer for the 40% off for 1 year? I called the number myself just now, and spoke with someone there, but they said they couldn't offer me any type of discount whatsoever. I made it quite clear that I would be cancelling unless rates came down. I'm currently on the $170/mo unlimited data only plan. Highway robbery in this day and age IMO. Thanks for feedback.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

We ended up cancelling and "starting" up service under the opposite spouse's name to get the new customer rate. Kept all the equipment (own) and dropped from $84 to $40 for 12 months at a slightly slower speed (unnoticeable to us).

Their lack of customer service and offers to keep existing customers is appalling. They have monopoly here, though, and get away with it.
albertross

Post by albertross »

ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:25 am The solution is to change the account holder every 2 years. Even the Fios reps Ive talked to in person do this.

2 years later

I know this thread's a bit old, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing this with Cox. Wife and I live in an apartment and I spoke to a Cox rep recently who claimed I would have to show a new lease with only the wife's name on it, which seems excessive. We already pay $50/mo for 30/3 internet, and the price is about to jump a lot higher (to almost $90). Wife's been out of work since December and is now going back to school and I'm a med student, so any price spike is hard to handle, but Cox knows they're our only option here so they won't budge. The promo rate for a new customer would be $40/mo.
petulant

Post by petulant »

albertross wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 pm
ddurrett896 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:25 am The solution is to change the account holder every 2 years. Even the Fios reps Ive talked to in person do this.

2 years later

I know this thread's a bit old, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing this with Cox. Wife and I live in an apartment and I spoke to a Cox rep recently who claimed I would have to show a new lease with only the wife's name on it, which seems excessive. We already pay $50/mo for 30/3 internet, and the price is about to jump a lot higher (to almost $90). Wife's been out of work since December and is now going back to school and I'm a med student, so any price spike is hard to handle, but Cox knows they're our only option here so they won't budge. The promo rate for a new customer would be $40/mo.
My observation as somebody who has danced with both ATT and Cox over the last few years is that both of them have significantly reduced retention offers. Your options are to pay up or cancel.

If you cancel and wait a month or two, you could probably get a new customer discount again with Cox. In early 2015 I cancelled home internet to save money and try to live a freer lifestyle (ironically, back when they gave better retention offers). I either went without, used my phone's hotspot, or went to the coffeeshop during that time period. I got a new customer discount a couple months later when I signed up again.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

You might also be able to share a secured strong-enough signal wifi with a trustworthy neighbor.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
rich126

Post by rich126 »

albertross wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 pm

2 years later

While they would prefer not to lose customers in some cases customers don't have other options and for many people, Internet is critical, TV not so much.

I pay around $40 for the 30Mbps plan although they upgraded it to 50Mbps for no cost (hasn't noticed any difference).

I find it hard to believe Internet only 30Mbps is going to cost $90 per month.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

albertross wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 pm I know this thread's a bit old, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing this with Cox. Wife and I live in an apartment and I spoke to a Cox rep recently who claimed I would have to show a new lease with only the wife's name on it, which seems excessive.
I don't know about Cox, but the Bogleheads/Slickdeals rule on discount offers and deals is; "don't call about the offer or deal, just do it." The average CSR's job is to keep you paying full price.

Same with products on super clearance. This a good way to alert store employees, their friends and family to buy them all.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

surfstar wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:55 pm Supposedly you need to set up a disconnection of service date - do so towards the end of your billing cycle. Then you will get an email offering you to stay for a 40% discount.

Haven't tried it yet as we upped our service for a discount, but may try the above in 11 months...
+ 1. I did that while I was in another city where cox is only provider.
You need to schedule post dated cancellation and i got email within 12 hours asking me to call to number to get 40% off
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
02nz

Post by 02nz »

albertross wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 pm I know this thread's a bit old, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing this with Cox. Wife and I live in an apartment and I spoke to a Cox rep recently who claimed I would have to show a new lease with only the wife's name on it, which seems excessive. We already pay $50/mo for 30/3 internet, and the price is about to jump a lot higher (to almost $90). Wife's been out of work since December and is now going back to school and I'm a med student, so any price spike is hard to handle, but Cox knows they're our only option here so they won't budge. The promo rate for a new customer would be $40/mo.
Call and set a disconnect for the end of the current billing period. Tell them you're moving if asked.

Separately, sign up using your wife's name (maybe use her maiden name) and SSN for a new connection. You might even be able to get Cox's $20/mo COVID offer (which I'm using). Use your cell phone (or its hotspot) - do NOT use your home wifi since Cox will know its you and won't show you new customer pricing. You'll get a modem/wifi router kit but I believe there's no lease fee at least for the COVID offer. Key is to separate closing the old account from setting up a new account.

I'm on my third cycle of this with Cox, never an issue and never paying more than $40/mo (currently half that).
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

albertross wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 pm I know this thread's a bit old, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing this with Cox. Wife and I live in an apartment and I spoke to a Cox rep recently who claimed I would have to show a new lease with only the wife's name on it, which seems excessive. We already pay $50/mo for 30/3 internet, and the price is about to jump a lot higher (to almost $90). Wife's been out of work since December and is now going back to school and I'm a med student, so any price spike is hard to handle, but Cox knows they're our only option here so they won't budge. The promo rate for a new customer would be $40/mo.
You don't have to show a lease to start service in general, why now?

Don't even call to make the change. Schedule a disconnection at the end of your contract and then start a new service the same day.
Husker4theSpurs

Post by Husker4theSpurs »

Wow, I had quite the experience yesterday. Bill adjusted to $294 from $235 and looked at my options last week. Had to rebundle and go with fiberoptic Internet to get a deal at $254. When the tech arrived to install the fiber he found it was going to be a long ways to run wire and tack onto the siding of our home etc. We opted not to go forward. Called retention (first number) after reading this thread and I talked to 3 different people (new call each time after their phone system disconnected me each time while on hold) and they said they couldn't help me because the work order for the fiber install was "still open." The last time a person had transferred me to the tech side to remove the work order so they could give me offers. Again disconnected while put on hold with tech person.

I don't think I've ever had a worse experience to be honest. I was angry and frustrated but kept my cool. Got ahold of another person in retention and he (over) explained all the problems with the phone lines there with people working from home, blahblahblah, etc. I asked if I went down in person if the work order could be removed more easily and he said yes. Went to remove the work order in person and received a bunch of the same sales stuff as when I went down there originally but they did remove the work order.

I called retention and a woman looked at my options and said my only option was to drop all the phone and video service down to Internet (which was how I was feeling in anger at the time) and "found" a $10 off coupon for me and "free WiFi." Was in the process with her to do so and then was disconnected AGAIN.

Called back and talked to a man who helped me. I had already explained this situation to someone different 5 times but I did so again. He said he was "texting" the woman to see what offer she had going for me. Meanwhile while waiting for a quite long time in a lot of silence, he magically found an offer that kept everything the same as it was for $13 less than I was paying before the bump in my bill. I asked why no one else seemed to have a way to find this offer, he stated "no one else has worked here as long and knows what I know." Alrighty then ...

So basically my cable is costing about what it would've cost me to have all the options I had through YouTube TV or the like. He have HBO, 5 mini boxes, 2 main boxes, DVR, all other channels ... and the total for the cable portion is about $105. I ran a quick calculation and this was about 60% of what the new bump up in cable price had been. So I don't know if I received the final 40% off deal since I was ready to cancel (and I actually was) or not, but I do know I feel like I lost about 20 years off of my lifespan.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

2 years later

We've done this in the past, though not with Cox. My wife and I have different last names so it works even better.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

core4portfolio wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:22 pm
surfstar wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:55 pm Supposedly you need to set up a disconnection of service date - do so towards the end of your billing cycle. Then you will get an email offering you to stay for a 40% discount.

+ 1. I did that while I was in another city where cox is only provider.
You need to schedule post dated cancellation and i got email within 12 hours asking me to call to number to get 40% off
+1 - I've done this in the past with Dish (not Cox) and maybe another provider (Time Warner?). It was 10+ years ago so I don't remember. Current setup is 1 gig internet + youtube which is cheaper than cable/satellite/internet deals from 10-15 years ago.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

My recent experience with Cox is that when I requested to cancel, it was done promptly without any objection, transfer to someone else, etc. That was not the case some years ago. There was no attempt at retention, which was okay since I meant to cancel.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

+1
You need to set up your expiration date in future then you will always set it within 24 hours.
cac90277

Post by cac90277 »

I just called the Cox retention department and had a nice experience. Maybe I am not saving as much as others, but I didn’t have to go through any hassle of credit checks, new deposits, canceling services and setting up new accounts. I called, she was very kind and pleasant to talk to. She was able to help me save $52 off my complete bundle (landline, internet and cable) while sending me a new “faster” modem that does not cost me anything more.I don’t use their WiFi because Cox equipment sucks (we added a Google Nest that works beyond awesome in comparison). In the end, we saved about 15%. I’ll take that win for the day. Retention Department number I called is 844-227-3943 (called October 29, 2020) Note: this was my personal experience and may not be others. But if we do have a positive experience, we should be just a intent on posting those. This is mine. Good luck to others.
terryterry

Post by terryterry »

bigtex wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:38 pm The cox loyalty number is 844-227-3943. I have also had success with this number. 877-267-2856. The 2856 number is specifically for getting a 40% discount on your current rate because you desired to disconnect services. Mention this 40% off specially in the call and that it was because you wanted to disconnect your services and they should honor it. So if your monthly bill is $100 per month they should be able to knock it down to $60 per month. Hope this helps. It says by invitation only but that is not true.

Thanks so much for posting this info! Before reaching this forum, I was in contact with three different Cox customer service reps (called today on 1/25/2021, 2 weeks before my bill is due) who all told me they could only offer me $10 off the retail price of $83.99 for the Internet only 150 Mbs data plan. Even with this promotion, my bill would be $15 higher than what I am paying now for the same service. I mentioned that I may have to cancel my services. Of course, I did this in the most polite yet assertive way (Customer service reps are not punching bags!) with phrases like "From what you're telling me, I will have to cancel my services because I can't afford it." Anyways, the rep almost called me on my bluff :P. He tried to persuade me to downgrade so that my bill would stay at the same price. I declined his offer repeatedly and asked whether I would incur any fees by ordering a cancellation for a week from the call and before my bill was due and if there were fees for cancelling the cancellation. He told me I would not be fined for doing either! This may not be true for everyone depending on their account. I happened to not be on a contract.

5 minutes later (I didn't wait to get promotional email myself), I called the second number you provided (877-267-2856). The rep let me know that the number was specifically for customers who have ordered a cancellation of their services. I told him I already did so (which he confirmed), and he proceeded to apply the 40% discount to my account! He set it up to begin the day my current promotion ends, so that my current one isn't discarded. I was on the phone for no longer the 10 minutes and was not asked for an invitation code or anything of the sort. My bill is the lowest I have every seen it! I would never be able to negotiate my way to this price. I am so happy about my bill for the next 12 months, but disappointed that I had to go as far as to actually order a cancellation. The loyalty department gave me the same speech as the accounts and billing department, which should not be the case. I haven't received a confirmation email of the discount yet, and my bill has not reflected this change yet. However, I will update my post to confirm if this endeavor was successful.

In summary, I called the loyalty department (844-227-3943) and was offered the same discounts (of a measly $10 off retail) as those given to me by the accounts and billing department. When speaking to the loyalty department rep, I asked whether I would be fined for cancelling my services and cancelling the cancellation. In my particular case, I would not be billed for either, so I set up a cancellation date for a week from my call and a week before my bill was due. I immediately called the special discount's department at 877-267-2856. After letting the rep know that I had already ordered a cancellation, he applied the 40% discount to start on the date I picked for myself.

I hope my post provides some helpful tips for anyone else trying to lower their Internet bill! My biggest advice is to not fear having to cancel! There may be no consequences, but confirm this with a rep first. Again, I found @bigtex's post to be super useful!

2/7/2021 Update: Success! Lower bill secured for next 12 months!
Last edited by terryterry on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

I admire the previous poster's tenacity although if there are suddenly no retention offers after placing a cancellation order, I wonder if you can "un-cancel"? My biggest fear would be losing a long-term email address.

Is there any advantage to calling both phone numbers before one's promotional year ends and asking if there are any promotions or discounts or should one wait until after the current promo year ends and the rate increases to call?
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

I use the billshark service to negotiate cable/internet rates on my behalf. They retain 40% of the bill reduction as a fee, but I'm OK with that as I come out ahead and don't have to deal with the cable company at all. It seems like they are able to negotiate rates that us ordinary folk cannot get close to.

I also use them for cell phone bills.

https://www.billshark.com
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
illumination

Post by illumination »

I'd love to see some sort of consumer protection laws where cable companies have to charge the same rate for the same plan to everyone. Should be no different than say Netflix.

So I pay twice the rate as a "new" customer does, despite my 15+ year loyalty, and have to play these games of threatening to leave every so often and hope to get the right customer service rep.

I really hope some of these satellite and 5G high speed internet options become widespread just to see the Cox's of the world sweat, these pseudo monopolies are a pain to deal with.
bentley311

Post by bentley311 »

Has anyone done this recently? When u call that number, it states there a high volume of calls, indicates that the estimated wait time is zero minutes. I waited for two hours and hung up. I also tried the call back option and never heard from anyone. I tried calling again and waited on hold for 45 minutes and no response. Wondering this department is effectively gone. I also never got a 40% off email and I set up a disconnect date as of 3 days ago.

Thanks for any info that can be shared.
traveler00

Post by traveler00 »

I think this deal is dead as @bentley311 has said. When you call the #, it says the wait is 0 minutes but I've been on hold for maybe 10 minutes now. I tried last week and there was an option for them to call you back instead of holding and nobody called back. The wait last week also said 0 minutes.
index2max

Post by index2max »

DTalos wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:11 pm I've read on this and other forums about negotiating high speed internet rates with Cox representatives in the retention department. I did an internet search and could not find their telephone number. My high speed internet monthly rate recently increased significantly. I wish to remain with Cox at the same internet speed service level. Does the retention department have a specific telephone number or is it a euphemism for one of the menu options presented when you call the main local number? Does Cox have unadvertised promotions (senior citizen rates, etc)? If the discount offered is measly, do you call back in a few days to see if another representative can offer a bigger discount (like going back to the same auto dealership a few days later and getting a different salesperson who might offer you a better deal on the same car)?
There’s a cool trick I found out about recently that I used with charter cable for their Internet service when I moved.

Suppose you move from your current residence to a new one. If both addresses lie within the service area of your current ISP, you could inform your ISP that you were moving and transfer over your service plan to the new address. The disadvantage with this approach is that if you’re on some kind of “promotional“ rate, you’re gonna see your bill get hiked.

So here’s what I did, I told charger that I was going to cancel service and was moving outside the service area. So I went to one of their physical stores and return the modem that they give to customers for free.

Then I bought a new modem for myself, then I called up charter and gave them the MAC address of my new modem so I could connect to the network. I even gave them my same name that I had in my previous address. The funny part is that I even use the same exact credit card to pay for service at the nee address... and they gave me the promotional rate!

ISPs are not smart enough to tell one John Smith from another. Of course if you want to play things extremely safe, do not use the same phone number for your “new customer” account. If you want to play things even safer, use a different credit card to pay for your first Internet bill.

Under no circumstances should you ever give a utility provider your Social Security number just to sign up for an account. If they are worried about whether or not you were going to be a reliable customer, just pay with a credit card and don’t give them your Social Security number. I have never had to give my social to any utility company.

This trick has been well known for the last few years and I’m surprised it is not publicized more.
kevroc

Post by kevroc »

Another data point on this topic.

I've tried the number several times. Same pattern, 0 minute hold time press 1 to hold for agent yada yada yada. After 3 hours on hold the line disconnects. Repeated this 3 times (different days/times of day) so am concluding it does not currently work.

I did however have limited success getting better pricing. I placed my disconnect order and then tried the number with no luck as stated. However I did have the original email from last year with the info on it and there's a blue "Get Reconnected" button on there that displays promotional pricing. The plan I was on was no longer available but it was certainly better then the rates they wanted to charge me. I could've waiting for the disconnect and try to sign back up as a new customer, but I believe the pricing I received was the same that a new customer would get, without the hassle of that. So, not as great as I wanted but not to bad.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Cox is the worst. I'd echo that if you go in looking to cancel and mean it, that's when they seem to actually lower the price.

I'd love to see some consumer protection laws that everybody has to pay the same price for the same service. This system of calling in every once in a while and threatening to leave and everybody paying a different rate gets old.

I also hope this low orbit satellite, high speed internet is the real deal. Cox has such a monopoly in my area and they know it.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

illumination wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:25 pm Cox is the worst. I'd echo that if you go in looking to cancel and mean it, that's when they seem to actually lower the price.
I was actually looking to cancel and they cooperated without any attempt at retention at all. I don't think they even asked why. I'd had Cox cable for twenty years.
index2max

Post by index2max »

illumination wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:25 pm Cox is the worst. I'd echo that if you go in looking to cancel and mean it, that's when they seem to actually lower the price.

I'd love to see some consumer protection laws that everybody has to pay the same price for the same service. This system of calling in every once in a while and threatening to leave and everybody paying a different rate gets old.

I also hope this low orbit satellite, high speed internet is the real deal. Cox has such a monopoly in my area and they know it.
Simply quit, return equipment to them. Sign up in your spouse's or child's name. I have done this with Charter to get the promotional deal back on my internet access.

Don't know why this wouldn't work with Cox cable. Their computer systems aren't that smart to realize you didn't actually move, nor will they bother sending someone out.
jplee3

Post by jplee3 »

Has anyone successfully retained their lower rate either by calling, chatting or cancelling then setting up new service?

It sounds like currently the best way to get back to the lower rate is by cancelling/setting up new service? I don't see a way to cancel online - looks like you have to call or chat?

Anyone have any recent updates/experiences on this?

EDIT: I just looked at the https://www.cox.com/residential/special ... -back.html page and clicked through to the offers and noticed there's one "offer" for $4 more than the current $49.99/mo offer I got from last year (so $53.99) that I can do for another 12 months. Wonder if I should just go ahead and do this instead of trying to hassle with cancelling and having my wife sign up etc...
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

I used to be able to go in to a Cox store once a year and negotiate a lower rate (or just not a price increase that seems to happen 1-2 times a year).

However, recently they got smart to this and now check my service area. If ATT Fiber or other competitor is not available in your area, Cox will not accept any price reductions when speaking with the retention department. ATT and Cox are doing some sort of backdoor handshake agreement to not compete in neighborhoods in my area. There will be neighborhoods right next to each other where Cox or ATT Fiber is available, but not both.

In some parts of the bigger city though, both Cox and ATT Fiber are available. The Cox retention department knows this, and will give you a much better deal if you have real options to leave with similar service.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

jplee3 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 pm Has anyone successfully retained their lower rate either by calling, chatting or cancelling then setting up new service?

It sounds like currently the best way to get back to the lower rate is by cancelling/setting up new service? I don't see a way to cancel online - looks like you have to call or chat?

Anyone have any recent updates/experiences on this?

EDIT: I just looked at the https://www.cox.com/residential/special ... -back.html page and clicked through to the offers and noticed there's one "offer" for $4 more than the current $49.99/mo offer I got from last year (so $53.99) that I can do for another 12 months. Wonder if I should just go ahead and do this instead of trying to hassle with cancelling and having my wife sign up etc...
I would definitely pay the $4 extra vs. cancelling and restarting services.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Gadget wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 pm In some parts of the bigger city though, both Cox and ATT Fiber are available. The Cox retention department knows this, and will give you a much better deal if you have real options to leave with similar service.
I have two other cable TV services available at my address and Cox didn't even blink or offer anything when I called to cancel.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

simplesimon wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:35 pm I have had success with this each in the last two years with Comcast. The first time I had a number I had googled. Second time I just said in the voice prompt "I want to cancel" and got directed to them. So far I haven't been allowed to leave but I'm ready with my alternatives if and when they finally do.
Comcast was also willing to give me an ok retention deal. But they wanted me to agree to a one year contract. When I asked if I was bound to the contract if they imposed data caps/charging for overages, which was their plan last year until protests delayed it, they said yes. So I switched to RCN intro deal...
index2max

Post by index2max »

All are missing the picture. When it comes to cable monopolies like Comcast, charter etc. they know that they have you over the barrel.

They don’t reward customers for loyalty. Instead you have to play the game where you quit your service, then sign up as a “new” customer online, not with a human on the phone. Sign up under your spouses name or whatever works. I literally used my exact same name with the same credit card number and their computer didn’t even bat an eye. The cable company is not going to actually drive over to your house to verify whether you moved out or not.

Their introductory, promotional rate is the only good one you were going to get unless there is some competition in your area for wired Internet access.
pepper2

Post by pepper2 »

I just called the 844 -227-3943 number and can keep my same preferred plan with only an $8 increase. better than the $20 something they wanted to do. Yes i agreed to a 2 year contract to do this because the alternative was $20-50 more and i just have internet with them and no other option than Cox. Verizon is not strong enough for the streaming. had a friend that had to send Verizon back after 3 days because her streaming firestick wouldn't work.