Weird issue when braking/stopped

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ponyboy

Weird issue when braking/stopped

Post by ponyboy »

This is an odd issue so Ill try to explain.

I have a 2006 subaru forester ll bean edition SOHC. When I press the brake pedal in and come to a stop when its in Drive, the car makes a noise, not exactly a grinding, almost like a pump noise. It only happens when im at a dead stand still. Not an issue with pads/rotors.

If im in Park and hit the brakes, it doesnt make the noise...only slightly then it stops. It seems to be only when im in Drive and come to a stop, then it makes this odd noise. Is there a pump that could be causing this? Or some sort of electrical issue?

Brake fluid is full.
foamypirate

Re: Weird issue when braking/stopped

Post by foamypirate »

Sometimes, if a wheel speed sensor is going bad, the computer will think that wheel has locked up, and engage the ABS. If you are stopped, all wheels are stationary, and so it won't kick in the ABS since it hasn't detected a "lockup."

This is all just conjecture of course. Probably best to have a local qualified mechanic look at it, as stuff like this can be difficult to diagnose without being there in person.
Retrograde

Post by Retrograde »

Your best bet would be to have your vehicle looked at by someone qualified. It's not really possible for us to diagnosis your issue.
Topic Author
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I have to get the car inspected in April so it will go into the shop first week then. I just wanted to pick the communities brains to see if anyone has ever experienced anything like this. Its an issue ive never seen or read about before.
Topic Author
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

foamypirate wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:59 pm Sometimes, if a wheel speed sensor is going bad, the computer will think that wheel has locked up, and engage the ABS. If you are stopped, all wheels are stationary, and so it won't kick in the ABS since it hasn't detected a "lockup."
This makes a lot of sense. I never thought of that. Ill have to do some more digging on this.

Ill try disabling the ABS system by pulling the fuse...then see if it makes the same noise when im in Drive/stopped with brakes pressed. This will narrow the issue down at least. And yes, ill reconnect the fuse before I take the care anywhere. Thanks!
Last edited by ponyboy on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer »

Driving a standard car I always notice automatic transmissions difficulty going from drive to stop. Dunno if could be a transmission issue but something to ponder. Not a lot to go off of lol.
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

I would look to the brake system first as it happens when you use the brake. Brake booster? Perhaps a vacuum pump?

Don't listen to me though...see a professional :beer
InvestSlow

Post by InvestSlow »

I had a great Subaru (2004 WRX STi) until I sold it last year. It had a weird noise that occurred when I got in (stopped) and sometimes after coming to a stop.

It was the struts. They were *awful*. I had them replaced once after the car was new, then when they quickly went bad again I just lived with it. For 14 years. It really didn't bother me that much.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

ABS or traction control malfunctioning
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Does that car have a "hill holder" function (that's when it keeps the brakes on for a bit when you remove your foot from the pedal so it doesn't roll back on a hill)? I'm not sure how it works or if it runs a pump or actuator when your are stopped in drive. But its another thing of the many things it could be.

Does it only make this noise while decelerating, or only when stopped? If you take your foot off the brake while stopped (and still in drive) does the noise stop? Does it start again when you put the brakes on again? How about if you do that kind of quickly (brakes on/off/on/off) so the car doesn't move. Still make the noise?
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

ponyboy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:03 pm I have to get the car inspected in April so it will go into the shop first week then.
Does that mean your renewal is in April? If so, check to see how long an inspection is valid. In MO it's 60 days.

However, if you say the pads and rotors are good, then inspection might not pick up another problem.