PODS or similar services for moving lots of boxes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rgs92

PODS or similar services for moving lots of boxes?

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks in advance for any comments on PODS or other similar companies for moving lots of boxes.
Also, what about having the POD stored for a short time if you can't make it to your destination right away to be there when the POD arrives.
I know there are many competitors of PODS; are any of them better and more reliable for quality service?

I'm not looking for the cheapest; I'm mainly interested in quality service and freedom from damage/loss.
Thank you.
cadreamer2015

Re: PODS or similar services for moving lots of boxes?

Post by cadreamer2015 »

We've used PODS for two cross country moves, 12 years ago and 3 years ago. Both times it worked out fine. At the origin of our first move we had them hold the POD near the origin until our move date. I was able to add boxes to the POD there while we finished cleaning out our house.

You do need to check to see if PODS are permitted to be placed at both origin and destination. Otherwise the service worked fine for us. I know there are other options but we have not used them.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks CAdreamer!
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

I used ABF UPack a few years ago. I found it to be an extremely excellent experience in terms of customer service, dependability and overall smoothness. Everything went off without a single hitch. Exactly as promised. And every single rep that I spoke to on the phone was very intelligent, competent, and nice, and quickly solved any question I had. I was honestly surprised by the whole experience.

They are super flexible and will hold the ReloCube as long as you want, though if I remember correctly, they bill in 30 days increments.

No experience with damage, didn't have any.
jminv

Post by jminv »

I am a fan of abf u-pack. I have used them on five different occasions and service was great every time. This included trailers, relocubes, terminal to terminal, door to door, and storage at a terminal. Never had any damage. They can also line up labor on either end which is helpful. They also tend to be less expensive than alternatives. Also, there’s always a small discount code available so look for that if you pick them. Know cost isn’t your primary selection criteria, but thought I’d mention it anyway.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

A few questions (apologies if the answer is obvious):

-the moving labor, are they insured (as in, won't come and sue you if there's a workmen's comp issue)?

-do they supply moving materials such as furniture wraps and bubble wraps?

-I presume one has to live in a hotel while waiting for delivery?
climbhigh

Post by climbhigh »

I’ve used U-Haul Ubox containers before and would highly recommend them. They are a bit smaller than the smallest Pod which is nice if you don’t have that much stuff. But for me it was significantly cheaper than Pods or ABF. What I like is that you can pick up the Ubox at your local U-Haul store and tow it to your house with your vehicle. Then load it up and tow back to U-Haul. This is probably partly why it is less expensive. And each Ubox includes 1 month of storage and something like 2 dozen moving blankets, which is nice. I’m actually moving across the country this summer and booked a Ubox last week and it was only like $1,500 for a 2500 mile move.
DrakeSRT

Post by DrakeSRT »

$1,500 for 1 Ubox is pretty expensive. Time of move and location of destination and origin do matter though.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

climbhigh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:39 pm I’ve used U-Haul Ubox containers before and would highly recommend them. They are a bit smaller than the smallest Pod which is nice if you don’t have that much stuff. But for me it was significantly cheaper than Pods or ABF. What I like is that you can pick up the Ubox at your local U-Haul store and tow it to your house with your vehicle. Then load it up and tow back to U-Haul. This is probably partly why it is less expensive. And each Ubox includes 1 month of storage and something like 2 dozen moving blankets, which is nice. I’m actually moving across the country this summer and booked a Ubox last week and it was only like $1,500 for a 2500 mile move.
Did you compare this to what it would cost to ship things with USPS. I looked at the U-Box dimensions and it seems that it would fit maybe 18 medium sized boxes stacked from end to end. I would think it would cost less than $80 per box to ship things across the country.

At this level of possessions, if you can cut down on heavy things that don't make sense to ship - like books and non-sentimental furniture - maybe even USPS would be cheaper.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I haven't used them, but I am pretty sure you need a permit in my city (for it to be placed in your driveway) or you can get fined. I'd check on that.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 am I haven't used them, but I am pretty sure you need a permit in my city (for it to be placed in your driveway) or you can get fined. I'd check on that.
I have one in my driveway right now to hold furniture while we do some remodeling.

FYI - no permit is needed. Just had to make sure that it does not obstruct any part of the sidewalk.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

so basically, I need to obtain permission from my apartment management agency first? and I probably can't just have it parked on the side of the street (my car goes either in the lot or on street) either, I'd presume
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

BBQ Nut wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:36 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 am I haven't used them, but I am pretty sure you need a permit in my city (for it to be placed in your driveway) or you can get fined. I'd check on that.
I have one in my driveway right now to hold furniture while we do some remodeling.

FYI - no permit is needed. Just had to make sure that it does not obstruct any part of the sidewalk.
Laws are not the same in every city.

https://www.georgetownmoving.com/portab ... r-permits/

"Washington DC defines a mobile self-storage unit as “Moving Storage Container (pod).” Permit is required but not limited if parked in the parking lane of the street in front of your residence or front yard or side yards between the buildings, driveways."

"Arlington County Portable Storage Device Permits & Requirements
Arlington County defines a mobile self-storage unit as “Portable Storage Device.” Permit is required practically for any type of parking, including public roads, driveways or private property to prevent long-term storage of personal items in the public right of way."

Neighbors fight a POD invasion
Elizabeth Razzi, The Washington Post
CHICAGO TRIBUNE (behind paywall)

"It's just that neighbors often fail to see the charm of PODS, or the equally garish boxes rented out by the many competitors to that market-leading company, Portable On Demand Storage. That's especially so when the boxes remain for months."

""The jurisdictions are starting to crack down, if you will, on containerized storage," said Tom Johnston, an owner of Store to Door, a company in the Washington region."

"If they're on the street, they tie up parking space and can be a traffic hazard. Elsewhere, they're just ugly, with giant logos and 1-800 phone numbers plastered on the sides."