What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson

Re: What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Post by hudson »

protagonist wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm I was basically what people call a "hippie" in the late 1960s-early 1970s, hitchhiking for transportation, almost never going out to eat (I couldn't afford it), and living in cheap apartments with several roommates. At one point I lived for about 6 weeks on $20- made a pot of beans and rice on a hot plate at the beginning of each week and made it last all week until I got a job with a paycheck.
I also lived cheap in the same time period as a college student. I graduated, and my draft deferment ran out. I spent the next 3 rainy winters roaming the forests of NJ, NC, SC, and GA. After spending days and weeks in the cold and rain as a foot soldier, I thought about how nice it would be to have a roof...then maybe a fire...then maybe some walls. I was never hungry, and I was always warm in my sleeping bag when I got a chance to sleep.
From that experience, I decided that I didn't need much. I'm retired and have a roof, walls, and a good heater. I know that they are luxuries, and I appreciate every comfortable day.

Now, my favorite lifestyle creep is to spend a few days and nights backpacking at 6000 feet in the Eastern US in February...many times in the rain or snow. I've found that extreme conditions make for a more memorable trip. Campfire time is good time!
Last edited by hudson on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

No sure we have had lifestyle creep as we are always trying to find ways to simplify and lower costs.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
hudson

Post by hudson »

carol-brennan wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 am The phrase "lifestyle creep" is relative. Relative to my college days, a bed that did not consist of a used mattress on the floor would be lifestyle creep. So I think one needs a baseline to compare notes profitably.

Having said that, my opinion is that most midlife "lifestyle creep" will actually make one less happy, not more. I include in this better cars, houses, spouses, and jobs. Less is almost invariably more, as it provides more space for reflection, which hopefully will be used to promote inner peace and well-being.
In late May 1967, 30 of us college students rented a fire-trap house at a SC beach for a rainy week. Everybody had a bed. Mine had old sheets with sand on the third floor. I got a ride with someone. I don't remember seeing the sun. The whole week probably cost me under $100...which was a lot of money then. Life was good!
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

hudson wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:46 am
carol-brennan wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:42 am The phrase "lifestyle creep" is relative. Relative to my college days, a bed that did not consist of a used mattress on the floor would be lifestyle creep. So I think one needs a baseline to compare notes profitably.

Having said that, my opinion is that most midlife "lifestyle creep" will actually make one less happy, not more. I include in this better cars, houses, spouses, and jobs. Less is almost invariably more, as it provides more space for reflection, which hopefully will be used to promote inner peace and well-being.
In late May 1967, 30 of us college students rented a fire-trap house at a SC beach for a rainy week. Everybody had a bed. Mine had old sheets with sand on the third floor. I got a ride with someone. I don't remember seeing the sun. The whole week probably cost me under $100...which was a lot of money then. Life was good!
I remember times like those as well and they were really fun.
Still often do things that are very economical as they are fun.
Cannot describe how fun it is to also be able to do things that some would describe as expensive.
GoldenOne

Post by GoldenOne »

Driving a luxury car and not something with no AC / that didn't cost 500 dollars.
Jewelry
International travel
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

GoldenOne wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:27 am International travel
I wish. Oh how I wish.
inves76

Post by inves76 »

A brompton bike. $1500. Great piece of engineering, can fold and unfold in seconds and ideal for a NYC walk up apartment.
I should have bought it years ago.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

hudson wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:32 am
protagonist wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm I was basically what people call a "hippie" in the late 1960s-early 1970s, hitchhiking for transportation, almost never going out to eat (I couldn't afford it), and living in cheap apartments with several roommates. At one point I lived for about 6 weeks on $20- made a pot of beans and rice on a hot plate at the beginning of each week and made it last all week until I got a job with a paycheck.
I also lived cheap in the same time period as a college student. I graduated, and my draft deferment ran out. I spent the next 3 rainy winters roaming the forests of NJ, NC, SC, and GA. After spending days and weeks in the cold and rain as a foot soldier, I thought about how nice it would be to have a roof...then maybe a fire...then maybe some walls. I was never hungry, and I was always warm in my sleeping bag when I got a chance to sleep.
From that experience, I decided that I didn't need much. I'm retired and have a roof, walls, and a good heater. I know that they are luxuries, and I appreciate every comfortable day.

Now, my favorite lifestyle creep is to spend a few days and nights backpacking at 6000 feet in the Eastern US in February...many times in the rain or snow. I've found that extreme conditions make for a more memorable trip.
I do think that kind of experience (I very much enjoyed that phase of my life and wouldn't trade it away if I could), plus living and working/volunteering in third world countries, gives one a different perspective on the word "need", as well as a different perspective on how much pleasure one really gets from consumer goods, especially luxuries. I don't live a spartan life these days....far from it. If I want something and I can afford it I buy it, and there are many things I can afford...just not a lot of things that I don't have that I feel would enrich my experience of life beyond what I already have. My most valuable possession is my tenor saxophone (it's a really nice one)- it's worth close to $20K... much more than my car. When something does come up that I want it is usually something small, like the Aeropress I bought last week for $30. I could live in an HCOL neighborhood if I wanted to, but I wouldn't want to. I like where I am.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I think my last post to this thread was about my upgraded house which we still have to pinch ourselves nearly every day. Working from home has been great.

Recent creep is a modest fishing boat, sub $20k. Ongoing expenses will hopefully be about $5k to $6k per year, a little over half of that is the marina rent.
jimmy2040

Post by jimmy2040 »

Technivorm coffee makers
Freshly roasted coffee beans.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I find it interesting how happy I was when I was younger. I was pretty much broke, lived in inexpensive apartments, drove an old car, but was still very happy.

Today I’m married now and have kids which cost money, but my spending is 5x more than it was compared to when I was single and I doubt my happiness level has increased 5 fold. Now that I’m spending this much, ask me if I can go back and the answer is an astounding No.

Just recently my wife and I looked at a smaller house to potentially downsize, and we couldn’t do it. It was a nice house and something we would have definitely been comfortable in if we had not already experienced life in our current monstrosity.

In a few years I will need to replace my German daily commuter and I wonder if I can go to a Honda or Toyota? I suspect the answer is no and will be going with something more luxury.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jimmy2040 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:10 am Technivorm coffee makers
+1 and a good grinder
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:49 am I find it interesting how happy I was when I was younger. I was pretty much broke, lived in inexpensive apartments, drove an old car, but was still very happy.

Today I’m married now and have kids which cost money, but my spending is 5x more than it was compared to when I was single and I doubt my happiness level has increased 5 fold. Now that I’m spending this much, ask me if I can go back and the answer is an astounding No.

Just recently my wife and I looked at a smaller house to potentially downsize, and we couldn’t do it. It was a nice house and something we would have definitely been comfortable in if we had not already experienced life in our current monstrosity.

In a few years I will need to replace my German daily commuter and I wonder if I can go to a Honda or Toyota? I suspect the answer is no and will be going with something more luxury.
The fallacy here is thinking you would *still* be happy if you were pretty much broke and lived that way.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:56 am
+1 and a good grinder
Ughhh. Our espresso coffee setup is idiotically expensive. Especially the grinder.

Many years ago, I rarely drank coffee. Only on very rare occasions would I have a cup just to stay awake. Then one day someone bought me decent coffee and a cheap $20 grinder. From there I like coffee a bit more and would drink it more often. Then, one day my dad gave us his old espresso machine which we used with our cheap grinder. I made americanos and they were so much better than the drip coffee I had before. For my birthday my wife got me a $200 burr grinder and that set us off to eventually buying the setup we have today.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy our coffee as do all of our friends and family who come visit. But, when I was ignorant of good coffee, I was probably far better off because now I find most restaurants and coffee shops have crap coffee and don't even get me started about Starbucks.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

mak1277 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:49 am I find it interesting how happy I was when I was younger. I was pretty much broke, lived in inexpensive apartments, drove an old car, but was still very happy.

The fallacy here is thinking you would *still* be happy if you were pretty much broke and lived that way.
Ahhhh, but what if I was not broke but still lived less extravagantly, would I be equally happy as I am today? Would I maybe be even more happy because I would have less stuff to maintain as I do now?

One thing I noticed is that when you own more things, you have more things that need maintenance and my time and/or money. As an example, our house has 2 boilers and 3 AC units. Compared to a smaller house with 1 boiler and 2 AC units I have more stuff that will break and require my time and money which is frustrating and does not make me happy. It is not that I can't afford to replace those things when they break. It is that I simply don't want to deal with it and take up my time.

Just the other day our pool water heater broke. Which took up my time and effort fixing. I would definitely be much happier if the house did not have a pool.
batpot

Post by batpot »

paying someone to do our taxes.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I can’t remember if I already posted this, but anyway, a recent post reminded me:

Geothermal - quiet steady heat and cooling, essentially free to run except for filter changes every quarter. Cost a lot to install, even with government/utility rebates

Solar/batteries - no worries about grid outages or monthly bills. So far running a net metering credit but, again, costly to install

- All of the insulation we installed makes the house pleasant during a heat wave, polar inversion, and everything in between

- Toto washlet toilets - no worries about running out of TP

- sauna - oh what a relief it is after a day of working outdoors

- eero mesh throughout the house. 9 eeros, probably overkill, but no worries ever about WiFi
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

Not sure if this counts but, we bought a cottage in Canada for $x in 1999... I always said it was the best $x I ever spent... This is the first year since then that we've not spent anytime there....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

Housecleaning for the wife and hands down, lawn service. Don’t ever plan to own a mower again.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Flying, pre Covid, business class.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

These arrived today. I’m so happy.

Only $8, but still an upgrade over the old air valve caps (and thus lifestyle creep)...
Last edited by Annabel Lee on Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

In COVID times, discovering that the restaurant supply house that the high end farm to table restaurants all buy from sells to the general public. Much better quality produce and meats than the supermarkets, for only a little more money.

And a nice touring bike (Salsa Marrakesh) with Ortlieb panniers, to get the groceries home from the store.

In COVID times, the things that make me happy seem to have become much simpler. Good food, a nice bike ride on a sunny day, staying healthy for another day.

I do miss traveling several months per year, but not as much as I thought I would.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
abyan

Post by abyan »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 pm I'm curious for those who were able to make increase in their lifestyle, what things actually made you happier?
HUGE TV! :-)
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Nicer kitchen since I like to cook.
Ricchan

Post by Ricchan »

Good coffee is something I've come to appreciate. The difference is very noticeable, even with me being a skeptic at first.

Back in the day I used to just grab coffee from Starbucks like everyone else. It didn't taste that great to me, but everyone else was doing it, so I figured it must be good and I was just too barbaric to appreciate it.

Then one day I got a grinder and a french press, brought home a bag of beans from Starbucks, and noticed the coffee I made actually had a flavor other than burnt charcoal. Amazing.

Eventually, my more sophisticated friends started dragging me to independent, local coffee shops, and I noticed their coffees had more mellow but distinct flavors compared to the beans I was buying from Starbucks. It was a nice, but the ubiquitous presence of Starbucks meant I still ended up grabbing their beans more often than not.

Fast forward a few years, and I've switched to doing pour overs with a Hario v60-- nothing wrong with a french press, it's just a personal preference. Then one day I got my first bag of single origin beans from an online shop, and I literally got tingles in my mouth from the first couple sips. It was the most dramatic eye opening experience since the initial move from ground coffee to whole bean. Now I almost exclusively use single origin Ethiopian beans. I've tried other single origins, and they're good for a change, but I always end up coming back to the Ethiopian beans.

The running cost is roughly $25 a bag (including shipping) every 3 weeks or so. Make note of the roast date; I can usually notice flavors starting to get stale about a month out, definitely by two months. If the place you get your coffee from doesn't list the roasted date (and instead prints a "best by" date or some other obfuscation), I'd stay away. Also, get a good burr grinder and a gooseneck kettle, they're worth it.
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

abyan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:21 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 pm I'm curious for those who were able to make increase in their lifestyle, what things actually made you happier?
HUGE TV! :-)
LOL!
gasman

Post by gasman »

Better quality food and wine
Household help cleaning and yard work outsourced
staying at nicer hotels when traveling
international travel
flying business class for longer flights
covering my kids private school all the way through college
good cooking equipment
top quality mattress
having FU money in the bank-the opposite of lifestyle creep, but, hey, life is a balance.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Ricchan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 pm Good coffee
2 good cups to start every day! Life is good!
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

A Nespresso coffee machine.
30west

Post by 30west »

For those of us in a cold climate, heated mattress pad. Never crawl into a cold bed again.

Runner up. Gas fireplace.

Also remote start for the car, heated seats and steering wheel.

My next splurge will be a villa in Cabo.
NS_Bane

Post by NS_Bane »

Ordering appetizers on the menu.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Ricchan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 pm Good coffee is something I've come to appreciate. The difference is very noticeable, even with me being a skeptic at first.

Back in the day I used to just grab coffee from Starbucks like everyone else. It didn't taste that great to me, but everyone else was doing it, so I figured it must be good and I was just too barbaric to appreciate it.

Then one day I got a grinder and a french press, brought home a bag of beans from Starbucks, and noticed the coffee I made actually had a flavor other than burnt charcoal. Amazing.

Eventually, my more sophisticated friends started dragging me to independent, local coffee shops, and I noticed their coffees had more mellow but distinct flavors compared to the beans I was buying from Starbucks. It was a nice, but the ubiquitous presence of Starbucks meant I still ended up grabbing their beans more often than not.

Fast forward a few years, and I've switched to doing pour overs with a Hario v60-- nothing wrong with a french press, it's just a personal preference. Then one day I got my first bag of single origin beans from an online shop, and I literally got tingles in my mouth from the first couple sips. It was the most dramatic eye opening experience since the initial move from ground coffee to whole bean. Now I almost exclusively use single origin Ethiopian beans. I've tried other single origins, and they're good for a change, but I always end up coming back to the Ethiopian beans.

The running cost is roughly $25 a bag (including shipping) every 3 weeks or so. Make note of the roast date; I can usually notice flavors starting to get stale about a month out, definitely by two months. If the place you get your coffee from doesn't list the roasted date (and instead prints a "best by" date or some other obfuscation), I'd stay away. Also, get a good burr grinder and a gooseneck kettle, they're worth it.
Your post made me want to brew my own coffee. I drink tea most of the time.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

For me and my wife, playing slots at casinos definitely fits the description of lifestyle creep and increased happiness. We do this weekly AFTER we are financially independent and we still hold our easy jobs.
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

Infrared sauna at the house. Spent a lot of time researching and finally shot the lock off of my wallet and went for it. NO regrets. From reduced inflammation and stress to relaxation and detox. I'm still happy every time I use it which is almost every day.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Bronko wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 pm Infrared sauna at the house. Spent a lot of time researching and finally shot the lock off of my wallet and went for it. NO regrets. From reduced inflammation and stress to relaxation and detox. I'm still happy every time I use it which is almost every day.
Interesting. Never heard of it, so found some helpful information:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20057954

Thanks!
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Business travel to Europe and European River Cruises.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Ricchan wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:41 pm Good coffee is something I've come to appreciate. The difference is very noticeable, even with me being a skeptic at first.

Now you need to take the next step and get into home roasting. My coffee is always fresh and I enjoy the same quality you do for $5 a pound instead of $25. I’ve been home-roasting for 17-1/2 years and I’ll never buy pre-roasted again.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Send not to know | For whom the bell tolls | It tolls for thee — John Donne
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I would say Apple products. I was so tired on nonstop Windows issues, errors, viruses, family and friends yelling for help, routine maintenance issues.

Apple products just work.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Only flying first/business class

Cattle class is just a different kind of torment
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

flaccidsteele wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:22 pm Cattle class is just a different kind of torment
Suggested Signature Line.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

TresBelle65 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:45 am A Nespresso coffee machine.
What are your fave pods? I'm looking for nespresso recommendations.
This time next year, we'll be millionaires!
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Bronko wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:52 pm Infrared sauna at the house. Spent a lot of time researching and finally shot the lock off of my wallet and went for it. NO regrets. From reduced inflammation and stress to relaxation and detox. I'm still happy every time I use it which is almost every day.
On my list Bronko. I've got a separate thread on this but would love to know some details on the IR sauna you have. Cheers!
This time next year, we'll be millionaires!
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

To update my June 15, 2019 submission:

A pool with pool service although we live a just a few minutes walk from the ocean. It's very pretty and I just like to look at it.
Additional landscaping and a weekly lawn service. I was terrible at it.
Flying first class.
A Herman Miller Areon chair.
Hello Fresh delivered meals.
Concierge medicine.

Forthcoming:

Additional financial support for my son who will probably be making a career change. Better he should have our money now then have to wait until we're deceased.
A new car to replace my 2011 Ford Explorer.
A Peloton since I will not be returning to the gym.

Other then the disasters we've all faced in 2020, I'm pretty happy and see all these expenditures as our just rewards for all those years of federal government service through many unsympathetic administrations.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Grocery delivery - the amount of time and hassle saved is totally worth the extra couple bucks.
hightower

Post by hightower »

yeahman wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:39 pm If you paid extra for it, you did so because you presumably derive some value from it. The better question would be: What lifestyle creep DIDN'T make you happier?

The only thing I can come up with is the king bed. A queen would've been plenty.
Moving out of the city to a farm has been the best lifestyle improvement we've ever made. The peace and quiet for me have been a daily blessing. And being surrounded by nature instead of cars and concrete has really improved my life.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

arf30 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:32 am Grocery delivery - the amount of time and hassle saved is totally worth the extra couple bucks.
I'm still unsure if grocery delivery is going to stick for me post-COVID. I do love the time savings, to be sure, but I feel like there are negative tradeoffs. Namely: (1) terrible decisions about substitutions when my requested products are out of stock, (2) poor decisions when choosing meat and produce and (3) a seemingly complete disregard by our shoppers for expiration dates.

I suspect I will keep having dry goods/staples delivered forever now, and will supplement this with targeted trips to the store for perishables.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:00 am
TresBelle65 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:45 am A Nespresso coffee machine.
What are your fave pods? I'm looking for nespresso recommendations.
Cafecito de Cuba by a longshot. Followed by Ristretto.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

arf30 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:32 am Grocery delivery - the amount of time and hassle saved is totally worth the extra couple bucks.
I do enjoy grocery shopping.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

Domestic help , do not like cleaning every weekend , or maintaining yard .
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:56 am
+1 and a good grinder
I did that for about 2 bags and then I went back to the ALDI $4 coffee lol