which snow blower ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lmea

which snow blower ?

Post by lmea »

Hi,

We live in the suburb of a major East Coast city in the US. Here, there are three to four major storms with snow from 7 to 15 inches per winter. Light snow falls with less than 5 inches are more often in the winter.

I have a driveway that is about 120 foot. I am looking for a snow blower. I never use a snow blower before.

Can you please recommend one? Should I use an electric or a gas snow blower? What do I need to be aware of?

If I use a gas snow blower, can I use gas at the gas station for the snow blower ? How often should I use stabilizer for the snow blower?

Thank you very much.
9liner

Re: which snow blower ?

Post by 9liner »

lmea wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:41 pm Hi,

We live in the suburb of a major East Coast city in the US. Here, there are three to four major storms with snow from 7 to 15 inches per winter. Light snow falls with less than 5 inches are more often in the winter.

I have a driveway that is about 120 foot. I am looking for a snow blower. I never use a snow blower before.

Can you please recommend one? Should I use an electric or a gas snow blower? What do I need to be aware of?

If I use a gas snow blower, can I use gas at the gas station for the snow blower ? How often should I use stabilizer for the snow blower?

Thank you very much.
You didn't state a budget. I have an Ariens 28" gas snow blower.

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-produ ... /deluxe-28

I purchased it for around $1000. It has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years. I would stay away from electric. It isn't worth the hassle or poor performance.

I do not use pump gas in any of my small engines...the ethanol kills the carburetor. Used to use VP ethanol free fuel which comes with a stabilizer pre-mixed. That became expensive. Now I use 100LL from my local airport in all of my small engines. No ethanol and a nearly infinite shelf-life.
brianH

Post by brianH »

If you live somewhere around the Philly/NJ/NYC or further South area, I'm going to recommend the Toro Snowmaster. It's the recommendation on The Wirecutter review site (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-snow-blowers/) and many others. It's especially a good pick for novices, because it controls a lot like a lawnmower.

Snowblowers are one of those items where people get all "Tim The Tool Man" and declare that everyone should get the biggest, baddest dual stage on the market. For Maine/Western NY with 60-120" a year, that may be true, but for an average of 20" around Philly, something like the Snowmaster will allow you to clear at 2x the pace of an unwieldy dual stage.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

120 ft driveway w/3-4 majors and several 5 inchers. Assuming lot of these are heavy wet snowfalls, I would go with at least a 24 inch wide 2 stage snowblower. I used a Troybilt on my 100 x 22 ft driveway that worked flawlessly for me here in the Chicago area for over 10 years. It was easy to handle and little maintenance needed.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

If I could afford one, I'd get a Honda.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Thank you very much.
2 stage gas blower - 24 inch. Make sure it has an electric start option. Buy the gas at local gas station, pour an ounce or so in 2 gallon or 5 gallon container, shake gently to mix it up (with the gas cap on). I use Ethanol Shield, get it at Home Depot. Gas will be good for a year.
After each season, change the oil. My Ariens uses 5-30w synthetic (easier starting in frigid weather). Take the used oil to local gas station to dispose of it.

Do not buy a single stage gas blower - it will not handle wet snow well or deep snow. (My driveway is longer than yours, I ditched my single stage for the Ariens and haven’t looked back). Don’t buy electric blower - if the power goes out, you will be stuck up the creek with no paddle.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I like my Ariens (recently upgraded from a 2003 Ariens).

Go to their website and search for a supplier near you. I would encourage you to buy from a “mower shop” so you can have it serviced as needed.
Mid-40’s
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

mortfree wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:03 pm I like my Ariens (recently upgraded from a 2003 Ariens).

Go to their website and search for a supplier near you. I would encourage you to buy from a “mower shop” so you can have it serviced as needed.
Not too difficult to self-service, watch some you tube videos. Key is to make sure at end of season, the gas is drained out of gas tank. If the gas goes stale, you won’t be able to start it up. Some gumout in the gas tank may help if that occurs, otherwise you then have to drain the gas. Change oil each year, change spark plug each year or every other year. Read owners manual to understand how machine works and what not to do. Machines are no joke, never go near blades when machine is running.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
dadu007

Post by dadu007 »

+1 for two-stage Ariens. Don't just drain the tank; use Seafoam as gas treatment for spring and summer storage.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've been using a 24" two-stage Troy-Bilt for the past 13 years. It has some rust but runs strong. You would want to get ahead of a 15" snowfall with the one I have. I would like heated grips but I doubt I would pay much for it.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Two stage Ariens 24 inch

If it were me I’d buy an older 824 in good shape.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Two stage Ariens compact 24.

Do not buy the Toro. Don’t.

The only answer is Ariens.
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

I have had my second Ariens for 5 years and I love it. I had my first one for 33 years. It was still working when I gave it to a neighbor kid to make side money doing driveways. The only thing I ever did with that first one in 33 years was change the oil and plug annually and run the carb dry at the end of the season. I don't even run the carb dry on the current one but I do run it for about 10 minutes every 2 months in the off season.
TO

Post by TO »

If not for the 120 foot driveway, I would absolutely recommend the EGO battery powered unit from Home Depot. Works like a charm - even in Chicago winters. I have converted my entire yard tool fleet (mower, trimmer, edger, blower, snowblower) to battery power, and would never consider going back to internal combustion.
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

Bought an Ariens 28" SHO, used it last two seasons in NJ.
Not one regret. Ariens!!!!!!!
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

I would guess that either the Ariens or Troy-Bilt would work great.

I had a single stage Toro near Buffalo NY, and it was OK, but a bit underpowered for serious snow. It might be OK depending on how much snow you are likely to get.

Now I have a 500 ft driveway that goes up a hill, so I use a 75" Meteor snowblower on a tractor. This works well but you have to blow the snow while you drive in reverse.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Thank you very much.
I have this, and I like it:

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-produ ... s/platinum

Its expensive, but we waited for a few years to buy it. I really wanted the biggest engine they produce for residential. Its not too big, and very powerful.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Uniballer wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:13 am I would guess that either the Ariens or Troy-Bilt would work great.

I had a single stage Toro near Buffalo NY, and it was OK, but a bit underpowered for serious snow. It might be OK depending on how much snow you are likely to get.

Now I have a 500 ft driveway that goes up a hill, so I use a 75" Meteor snowblower on a tractor. This works well but you have to blow the snow while you drive in reverse.
Please don’t buy a Troy Bilt.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

I’ll be in the market soon. My landscaper friend says Ariens.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

Be sure to look used as well as many people buy them and rarely use them. Some people prefer the electric start as well which can be a good addition depending on your price point as you just plug it into an outlet vs pull start. Most of the models are fairly good in the market at this point the main thing on the user end is not leaving gas to go bad in them at the end of the season and using one of the various fuel stabalizer products depending on how often you plan to use it.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Never buy a single stage snowblower, they are inadequate in a heavy snow.

Been using the same snowblower since 1996. Drain the gas at the end of the season, follow the maintenance schedule.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

TO wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:36 pm If not for the 120 foot driveway, I would absolutely recommend the EGO battery powered unit from Home Depot. Works like a charm - even in Chicago winters. I have converted my entire yard tool fleet (mower, trimmer, edger, blower, snowblower) to battery power, and would never consider going back to internal combustion.
Not a prayer I would buy any snow blower (gas or electric) that was not self propelled. Maybe with a light snow on a perfectly flat paved driveway you could get away with it bit not around our neighborhood.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

fortfun wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:57 pm If I could afford one, I'd get a Honda.
+1

I made it a priority to work it into my budget and couldn't be happier with my Honda HSS928A (28 inch gas powered Honda). Push start, gas cut off, electrical snow blower module. And it should last over a decade if not two. Invest in good snow gear too. For about $100 you can get the goggles, snow suit, ski gloves and ski mask. Wish I hadn't waited until my mid 30s to take the plunge.
:sharebeer
Light weight baby!
trasmuss

Post by trasmuss »

Bacchus01 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm Two stage Ariens compact 24.

Did you have bad luck with a Toro? Mine is over 30 years old and has managed Minnesota winters. The Toro 24" is rated number one by Consumers Reports. Ahead of Ariens.
BoxOfUpticks

Post by BoxOfUpticks »

Another happy Ariens owner here. My unit is 20yrs old, still running STRONG, even with this nasty heavy snow we just got.

Regardless of your final decision, do yourself a favor: read and *follow* the manual!

In my experience, properly maintained equipment is reliable and long lasting. It does take effort to remember and do the maintenance, but it's worth it.

I tend to do a pre-season check of my snowblower in Aug/Sept. This way, if i do find something amiss, i can get it fixed well before the panic (in others) of the first snow.

Good luck with your decision and purchase!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Ariens. Definitely Ariens. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago, went with a Platinum 24 SHO EFI three years ago, and couldn't be happier. It chews through anything I throw at it, including snowbanks that are significantly taller than the bucket. And it throws the snow so far that I have to tilt the chute down to avoid hitting my neighbor's house when I clear the sidewalk around the corner. Fuel injected so never a problem starting and always runs at the set speed regardless of load. Grip warmers rock. :)

If that's a little too pricey (mine was $1800) or you don't want the electronics, the carburated version is $1500. Given the size of your driveway, if you have room to store the Deluxe 28 SHO ($1250), that would be a great option as well.

Hondas are great as well, but incredibly spendy. They include some really expensive features like motorized electronic chute controls and hydrostatic transmissions, and as a result cost 2-3x what an otherwise comparable Ariens does (and 5-6x what the cheapies cost). I'd gladly take one if someone gave it to me, but wouldn't buy one because they're not a good value IMO.

Regardless of what you decide, buy from a power equipment dealer, NOT a big box store. Pricing for similar models will be the same, but the dealer will have models that HD/Lowes/etc won't, and they'll generally be assembled by someone who's seen a snowblower before. Most will deliver. All will service when you need it. And of course, it's an opportunity to support a local business.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

mggray17 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:34 am Bought an Ariens 28" SHO, used it last two seasons in NJ.
Not one regret. Ariens!!!!!!!
+1 but I had the 24". Got through 18 inches of wet snow without a hitch.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

You should visit
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/

I bought a honda 724 about 10 years ago. Between two big storms. It is a tracked blower. Harder to turn, but lets me adjust the auger height. I find that very handy. I use middle position most of the time. I raise the auger to clear a path for the mailman across lawn. I use the low position to grind trough hard pack.

Yes it was expensive. But I've been using the same blower for years, and I expect it to last for many more.

I just blew out 6-8" of wet nasty snow slush wintry mix. I'd probably still be out there if I was using a shovel. Then I would not be posting here ;)

My advice is buy a machine that can handle the biggest snow you are likely to get. It is the big ones you really appreciate a blower.
Buy one small enough to fit where you need to take it. I might have gone with a bigger blower but there were places it would have been a tight fit.

I'm tempted to buy one of the ego battery powered blowers. I have some of the other ego tools and they work well. But for now I take out the Honda, or use a shovel. A single stage blower would likely have not been much good with this heavy wet snow. For lighter snows I value the exercise. I could see using the honda for 6+ inches, or heavy wet snow. The ego for 3-6". Then a shovel for less. But I'm not ready to do that just yet. YMMV
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

And buy spare shear pins. In case you run into a stick or newspaper or something else under the snow.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

It is the end of driveway plow mound where you really appreciate a snow blower. Mine is a small blower, so that sometimes takes several passes. I'm OK with that.

Post by alter »

I've been happy with my Honda 20inch single stage. It is light and compact, and more than enough power for slush, It will power through huge mounds of snow, plus it doesn't scrape up my paver stone driveway at all. I'm glad I did not get a 2 stage because they are heavy, take up too much space and less maneuverable than the smaller Honda.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

trasmuss wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 am
Bacchus01 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm Two stage Ariens compact 24.

Did you have bad luck with a Toro? Mine is over 30 years old and has managed Minnesota winters. The Toro 24" is rated number one by Consumers Reports. Ahead of Ariens.
Your toro from 30 years ago has no bearing at all on a toro today. I’ve been in both factories. Toro is a good unit. Ariens is just that much better.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

dknightd wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am And buy spare shear pins. In case you run into a stick or newspaper or something else under the snow.
Or buy one of Toro PowerMax HD that is the only kind that does not use shear pins. It's commercial-quality gear box is strong enough to handle an object, it just stops the engine. HD 928 28'' is $1,300 which is good but missing handwarmers, so I splurged another $300 for step-up HD 1028 that have them and more powerful 302cc engine. They are legendary in quality, dealers don't like them because people never come back for service.
BoxOfUpticks

Post by BoxOfUpticks »

dknightd wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am And buy spare shear pins. In case you run into a stick or newspaper or something else under the snow.
This!!! Most excellent advice
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

What does "stage" mean when discussing snowblowers?
BoxOfUpticks

Post by BoxOfUpticks »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:26 pm What does "stage" mean when discussing snowblowers?
A two stage has an auger to break up the snow, and an impeller to force the broken up snow out the chute. A single stage has only one (sorry, i'm not being condescending). A single stage seems to be suitable for fairly light snow (both amount and density), while a two stage can handle heavy snow, as well as deep snow.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

So, if it has only one, is it the auger or the impeller or could it be either one?
BoxOfUpticks

Post by BoxOfUpticks »

It's only the impeller.

This has a concise comparison.

I never knew the difference between the terms 'snow blower' and 'snow thrower' until i read that page. :)
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Thanks. :happy
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

RobLyons wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:44 am
fortfun wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:57 pm If I could afford one, I'd get a Honda.
+1

I made it a priority to work it into my budget and couldn't be happier with my Honda HSS928A (28 inch gas powered Honda). Push start, gas cut off, electrical snow blower module. And it should last over a decade if not two. Invest in good snow gear too. For about $100 you can get the goggles, snow suit, ski gloves and ski mask. Wish I hadn't waited until my mid 30s to take the plunge.
:sharebeer
Lucky!
kiddoc

Post by kiddoc »

Very timely discussion. I am trying to decide between the Toro Snowmaster 724 QXE (described as a single stage blower with performance better than 2 stage despite heavy snow) or a Troy Bilt Storm 2460 or 2660. The other blowers I have looked at were either >$800 or had issues described in reviews. I can get my driveway plowed for $30 per storm and am comfortable shoveling lighter snows. I figured a snow blower purchase is worth it only if the up-front cost is less than what I would spend on 20-25 bad storms. Beyond that, it will be a wash given the cost of my manual labor and blower maintenance.
"The four most dangerous words in investing are: 'this time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I believe most electric snowthrowers* limit cord length to 100', so your 120' driveway may be too far to use an electric.

* Snowthrower = single stage. Snowblower = two-stage, second being an impeller.

I believe a snowthrower works better with wet snow because the discharge path is straighter---fewer places/chances for the snow to stop, change direction, freeze, which causes the plug up.

With both, it helps to lubricate the auger and housing, discharge chute, and impeller if a 2-stage... while the surfaces are dry before you start! I've read of folks recommending silicon spray and Pam cooking spray.

Don't run either through water---melting snow, running water at the end of your driveway. It will wet the snow discharge path, mix with snow, freeze, and more easily cause a plug up. This can't be prevented by lubricating spray.

Be aware that a snow blower/thrower can take your hand off. So read/follow the safety precautions.
Search: http://www.google.com/search?q=snow+blo ... wer+safety

I believe a heavy duty snowblower should have:
--Tracks for traction---almost unstoppable. Chains more likely to scratch my sloping driveway.
--Auger teeth to chew through the snow berm left across your driveway by the city snowplow.
--Everything else is optional.

Do some research on YouTube and see what others like/dislike.

Can search forum for past snow blower/thrower topics.

Disclosure. My driveway is concrete, ~75' long, 3-cars wide, and slopes upward rather steeply.

I've used:
--A small electric snowthrower on the sidewalks. The ones without an adjustable chute are annoying---can't throw snow where you want, only forward. The ones without wheels are useless.
--A tractor-driven snowthrower. They are fun and do make the snow fly, but are difficult to store and maneuver when dismounted. But could be a double-duty option if you have a large yard to mow.

I don't have a large yard and outgrew the lawn tractor hobby with age.

So sold everything else and now use:
--CL find 5/24 (hp/clearing width) Craftsman track-drive snowblower for the deep stuff. I added auger teeth (welder) to deal with the city snowplow's berm. The tracks allow it to climb my sloping driveway without slipping or scratching the concrete. It's a little difficult to move on dry pavement, but that is an infrequent occurrence, and more than made up for by its increased traction when needed.
--CL find Toro 1800 Power Curve electric for the lighter stuff (<10"). I built a wheel kit to make it easier to push up my sloping driveway. It does okay in intermediate depth wet snow, and is less of a hassle than using the larger Craftsman in same.

If the snow is light (<3"), I'll use a snow shovel to run down the driveway a few times to cut widely spaced openings in the snow to allow the sun to shine through and warm the concrete. I finish up with a single pass across the public sidewalks. This is usually enough to melt all of the snow away in 1-day.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
TRC

Post by TRC »

Honda
Rodethe600

Post by Rodethe600 »

I've had a modest single stage toro bought for $250
about 20 years ago. In Minnesota. I can't remember a time I couldn't clear my driveway. Even heavy slush. It gets through it. Sometimes it's slow going. With bad forecasts I try to go out early once if possible. Like the light weight. I've often thought of something bigger, but this one just keeps getting the job done.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

kiddoc wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:16 am Very timely discussion. I am trying to decide between the Toro Snowmaster 724 QXE (described as a single stage blower with performance better than 2 stage despite heavy snow) or a Troy Bilt Storm 2460 or 2660.
Get the Toro. Nobody does single-stage better than they do. They're also very reliable and easy to service--we just consolidated homes and sold my father-in-law's 25-year old Toro Powerlite E for $100--never needed more than oil change, spark plug, belt, or the rubber part of the impeller replaced over that whole span. I have not had a Troy Bilt snowblower, but everything else I've used with that name on it has been junk.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Consumers Reports recommends three stage blowers for heavy snow, like the drifts that the city snowplows pile up at the end of the driveway. Unfortunately, all are noticeably over $1K.

Ralph
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

I have a Toro.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

I would say don't go by the "I have a brand xxx that's 20, 25, 30 years old" stories, as a lot has changed since then. Like mowers the majority of the popular ones and almost all the ones from the big box stores (Craftsman included) have been MTD units for the past 10 years or so. Few manufacturers left that make their own snowblowers - Ariens being one.

That said I have a 30" 2-stage MTD unit (Yardworks ordered from Norther Tool on short notice in the mid of Feb, long story, wasn't my ideal choice) that's 7 years old now and running fine dealing with reasonably heavy NY snows.
scone

Post by scone »

Another Arien recommendation. Mine has the electric start, which is great as I’m a senior woman and not as strong as I used to be.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

I have a 2 stage made by MTD that I got for free. It works pretty well, but is constantly falling apart so it requires lots of maintenance. I have a steep hill and it has tracks which help a lot. If I were replacing it I would buy an Ariens with tracks.