which snow blower ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Rattlesnake

Re: which snow blower ?

Post by Rattlesnake »

Just gave my 15 yo Yardman 26 inch electric start 2 stage to our Son and upgraded to a Cub Cadet 3 stage with heated grips.... 120 ft driveway.... Think I used it 10 times last year... The Yardman always performed good but the new one with heated grips got me....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

Another recommendation for Ariens. I have the 28" and this will be my third winter with it. So far, so good!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

trasmuss wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 am
Bacchus01 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:56 pm Two stage Ariens compact 24.

Do not buy the Toro. Don’t.

The only answer is Ariens.
Did you have bad luck with a Toro? Mine is over 30 years old and has managed Minnesota winters. The Toro 24" is rated number one by Consumers Reports. Ahead of Ariens.
+1 for my parents and brother. Minnesotans too.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:02 pm
lmea wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:41 pm Hi,

We live in the suburb of a major East Coast city in the US. Here, there are three to four major storms with snow from 7 to 15 inches per winter. Light snow falls with less than 5 inches are more often in the winter.

I have a driveway that is about 120 foot. I am looking for a snow blower. I never use a snow blower before.

Can you please recommend one? Should I use an electric or a gas snow blower? What do I need to be aware of?

If I use a gas snow blower, can I use gas at the gas station for the snow blower ? How often should I use stabilizer for the snow blower?

Thank you very much.
2 stage gas blower - 24 inch. Make sure it has an electric start option. Buy the gas at local gas station, pour an ounce or so in 2 gallon or 5 gallon container, shake gently to mix it up (with the gas cap on). I use Ethanol Shield, get it at Home Depot. Gas will be good for a year.
After each season, change the oil. My Ariens uses 5-30w synthetic (easier starting in frigid weather). Take the used oil to local gas station to dispose of it.

Do not buy a single stage gas blower - it will not handle wet snow well or deep snow. (My driveway is longer than yours, I ditched my single stage for the Ariens and haven’t looked back). Don’t buy electric blower - if the power goes out, you will be stuck up the creek with no paddle.
+1 :thumbsup
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

trasmuss wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 am Did you have bad luck with a Toro? Mine is over 30 years old and has managed Minnesota winters. The Toro 24" is rated number one by Consumers Reports. Ahead of Ariens.
Though I do love me some Toro--especially their single-stage models, which I personally think are the best on the market by a WIDE margin--this is misleading at best. CRs overall highest rated two-stage is the Ariens 926060 at 91 points. The Ariens Deluxe 28 254CC 921046 scored 82 points. The highest-rated Toro 2-stage is the Power Max 824 OE at 77 points.

This is indeed higher than the 71 points of the Ariens 920025, or "Classic 24". And it ought to be, since it costs 50% more. The Classic 24 is a low-end budget model targeted at big-box stores, a revised version of the Sno-Tek that they just started painting orange last year when they started building it completely out of steel (the Sno-Tek is Black to differentiate it from a "Real" Ariens). It's not what most people are talking about when they mention Ariens. The 824 OE is the highest-end 24" Toro (the cheaper 724 OE is still available in the market but appears to be discontinued), while Ariens has four 24" models above the Classic--Compact, Deluxe, Platinum, and Platinum EFI.

The most comparable Ariens model to the Toro 824 OE is the Deluxe 24. Same price, same size engine, etc. This unit is identical to the Deluxe 28 that scored 82 points, except with a smaller bucket. It would therefore have to score at least that well. Likely slightly better since same size engine + smaller bucket = more clearing power.

TL;DR: Toro makes the best single-stage blowers, Ariens the best two-stage.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

1) Don't buy electric. It doesn't have the throwing power you need, electrical power cords are inflexible when frozen, 100'+ cords are problematic. Just don't - asking for headaches.

2) Before deciding brand, decide on whether you need/want a single or 2 stage. 2 stage will handle heavier, deeper snow (and ice) with less passes need to clear a given space - no doubt about it. However, 2 stagers also have many downsides -- significantly more expensive than a single, their storage footprint in your garage is probably double that of a single, they're heavy enough that odds are you aren't going to be able to lift it yourself (e.g. forget tossing it in the back of your pickup to go help a local family member or friend who is also snowed in, or putting it up on the work bench for tune ups), and while they're usually self-propelled they often are a pain to operate vs. a single (unless you're not in a hurry). The other thing 2-stage fan boys don't like to talk about is the thin layer of snow they leave on the pavement. Since the auger in a 2 stage is metal, not a hard rubber flapper as is in a single, the auger doesn't contact the pavement and hence leaves a thin layer of snow behind. Everyone I know w/ a 2 stage, who cares, then has to go quick shovel the driveway and walkway after blowing it to clear that thin layer. Whereas my single you just go blow the snow and you're done.

Also, since it sounds like you may be new to living in the snow belt, you also don't have to wait to blow the snow at the end of the storm. In fact, most people probably blow it a couple times when expecting over a foot. So whether you have a single or dual, blowing 6" or so per time, is not a huge deal. And finally, you also need to be mindful of how much space you have around you to blow the snow! If you're out in the country, or have significant space between homes, no issue. But if you live in urban or suburbia, where all there is between your home and your neighbor's is the width of your driveway plus a couple feet, where are you going to point that 2-stage for the blown snow? Your neighbors house/windows? Sometimes the single just makes more sense.

And if you're out in the country, then why not just buy a quad and plow blade and be done with it...

3) If you go single, I'd go with a Toro. Something like a Toro Power Clear 721E that can be found on sale at Home Depot for $500 or so. If you go 2 stage, I'd buy an Ariens, and again, the 22" and 24" models carried by Home Depot would probably be just fine, but you're looking at close to $750-1000.

lazydavid wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:36 pm TL;DR: Toro makes the best single-stage blowers, Ariens the best two-stage.
+1 Agreed.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

killjoy2012 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:19 pm 1) Don't buy electric. It doesn't have the throwing power you need, electrical power cords are inflexible when frozen, 100'+ cords are problematic. Just don't - asking for headaches.

2) Before deciding brand, decide on whether you need/want a single or 2 stage. 2 stage will handle heavier, deeper snow (and ice) with less passes need to clear a given space - no doubt about it. However, 2 stagers also have many downsides -- significantly more expensive than a single, their storage footprint in your garage is probably double that of a single, they're heavy enough that odds are you aren't going to be able to lift it yourself (e.g. forget tossing it in the back of your pickup to go help a local family member or friend who is also snowed in, or putting it up on the work bench for tune ups), and while they're usually self-propelled they often are a pain to operate vs. a single (unless you're not in a hurry). The other thing 2-stage fan boys don't like to talk about is the thin layer of snow they leave on the pavement. Since the auger in a 2 stage is metal, not a hard rubber flapper as is in a single, the auger doesn't contact the pavement and hence leaves a thin layer of snow behind. Everyone I know w/ a 2 stage, who cares, then has to go quick shovel the driveway and walkway after blowing it to clear that thin layer. Whereas my single you just go blow the snow and you're done.

Also, since it sounds like you may be new to living in the snow belt, you also don't have to wait to blow the snow at the end of the storm. In fact, most people probably blow it a couple times when expecting over a foot. So whether you have a single or dual, blowing 6" or so per time, is not a huge deal. And finally, you also need to be mindful of how much space you have around you to blow the snow! If you're out in the country, or have significant space between homes, no issue. But if you live in urban or suburbia, where all there is between your home and your neighbor's is the width of your driveway plus a couple feet, where are you going to point that 2-stage for the blown snow? Your neighbors house/windows? Sometimes the single just makes more sense.

And if you're out in the country, then why not just buy a quad and plow blade and be done with it...

3) If you go single, I'd go with a Toro. Something like a Toro Power Clear 721E that can be found on sale at Home Depot for $500 or so. If you go 2 stage, I'd buy an Ariens, and again, the 22" and 24" models carried by Home Depot would probably be just fine, but you're looking at close to $750-1000.

lazydavid wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:36 pm TL;DR: Toro makes the best single-stage blowers, Ariens the best two-stage.
+1 Agreed.
We have that Toro Single stage as well as 2 other two stage snow blowers. Here are my observations...
- The Toro is great when the snow is 6-8 " or less
- I can load the 2 stage blowers on my picjup easily since they have powered dive wheels
- I can throw the snow anywhere I want with the 2 stage blower, even slightly behnd when moving, not so with the single
- Most often I need the snow throw distance the 2 stage throwers can provide
- We had a quad with a blade many years back, it was a toy that was not capable of any real snow movement.
Sone years none of the snow machines get used - other years there is a lot of work to do. So if we haver a larger snowfall winter the 2 stages get used a lot, the single only when the snow is light and the weather calls for it to remain and not melt within a day or so.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

9liner wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:53 pm

We live in the suburb of a major East Coast city in the US. Here, there are three to four major storms with snow from 7 to 15 inches per winter. Light snow falls with less than 5 inches are more often in the winter.

I have a driveway that is about 120 foot. I am looking for a snow blower. I never use a snow blower before.

Can you please recommend one? Should I use an electric or a gas snow blower? What do I need to be aware of?

If I use a gas snow blower, can I use gas at the gas station for the snow blower ? How often should I use stabilizer for the snow blower?

Thank you very much.
You didn't state a budget. I have an Ariens 28" gas snow blower.

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-produ ... /deluxe-28

I purchased it for around $1000. It has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years. I would stay away from electric. It isn't worth the hassle or poor performance.

I do not use pump gas in any of my small engines...the ethanol kills the carburetor. Used to use VP ethanol free fuel which comes with a stabilizer pre-mixed. That became expensive. Now I use 100LL from my local airport in all of my small engines. No ethanol and a nearly infinite shelf-life.
Don't use 100LL in small engines if you value your health, the health of your neighborhood's residents, and the fuel system. The 100LL or so-called “low lead” avgas still has 4 times as much lead (TEL) as the now illegal automobile leaded gas ever did. Besides the high toxicity of the exhaust (especially for children) from heavy metal lead exposure, the lead also gums up cylinders, spark plugs, and exhaust valves over time.

Ethanol won't "kill" a carburetor made in the modern era. Just use stabilizer and store with the tank full of stabilized fuel. Much easier, and healthier than burning toxic tetraethyl lead in your driveway. There's a reason why this was banned from auto gas decades ago, and that had far less lead than 100LL.
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

I'll add my vote along with everyone else for an ariens. I have a 30" platinum version and I love it. Never thought I would splurge for heated hand grips until I tried my buddies that had them, they work great. Just remember no matter what snowblower you buy, if you're trying to move forward too fast they will all bog and turn into a snowplow eventually. Heavy wet deep snow means you'll be moving slow. PS, nothing is more frustrating in the winter time than struggling with an anemic snowblower trying to clean up after a good snow. My ariens I've had to be conscious not to throw my snow into my neighbors driveway. :D 8-)
burt

Post by burt »

Not too happy with my 4 year old Ariens Deluxe 24" right now.
A few weeks ago the leaking fuel shutoff valve was replaced.
Yesterday the traction cable broke.
I estimate both repairs to cost $350 on a $1000 machine.
I'm not sure how long I want to keep this machine. Maybe Toro next time?
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

My Ariens 8524 Classic Deluxe is 18yrs old, and has never required a repair. I live in the snowbelt, so yes it does get used.
I perform all recommended annual maintenance.
It's been a great snowblower.

Just FYI -maybe something's changed at Ariens, or YMMV situation.
I'd look at reviews and overall satisfaction for all mfr's current models before basing a new purchase on the performance of one snowblower.
ie: The John Deere 726 that my father bought 47yrs ago still runs, though not used much the last 15 years. If they still made John Deere snowblowers, doubt I'd consider one b/c the lawn mowers aren't built like they used to.
Good Luck
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

I have a Toro PowerClear, gas powered electric start. (Single stage)

I would not recommend the EVO Snowblower, or any battery powered for that matter. I had one and while it's very convenient to start, you had to push it and with wet snow it just made it that much harder, especially if you have any type of slope to your driveway. Frankly, I think they are overrated. The Toro, once the auger engages the snow, pulls forward and it's more of just walking behind it. It's just that much more powerful.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

I have a Toro 721E single stage as well as an older Toro. Last year I did not need the snow blower at all. We get a single storm of 16" or above once every nine years, on average. Of course several weeks ago we had 23.5" at one time. A week ago 6" of light snow and the blower got through it easily. More recently we got 4" of wet snow and the initial path through required a bit of pushing. Next time I'll consider a 2 stage but that may be because I'm getting old and more concerned about the big snows. Now I feel I need to go out as soon as we have about 5 or 6" on the ground and clear what is there so far. Of course clearing the end of the driveway where the plows push the snow is always fun. I used to do the corner lot and 4 car drive by shovel and it didn't tire me. Now shoveling the path to the door is tiring if the snow is wet.
wilked

Post by wilked »

burt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 am Not too happy with my 4 year old Ariens Deluxe 24" right now.
The fuel shutoff is about $8, you just pop the old one off and the new one on (with the gas tank empty). It literally just twists off and twists on

The traction cable is $15-20, quick job to replace.

If anyone charges you $300-900 labor for these jobs they are thieves
Psu4lif

Post by Psu4lif »

I have a 5 year old Cub Cadet 2 stage that I've been happy with. It would get clogged from time to time with wet heavy snow or slush but I found a diy modification on YouTube ( https://youtu.be/v3m_djNQEgA ) and now it rarely clogs and throws snow farther.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

wilked wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:40 am
burt wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 am Not too happy with my 4 year old Ariens Deluxe 24" right now.
The fuel shutoff is about $8, you just pop the old one off and the new one on (with the gas tank empty). It literally just twists off and twists on

I've noticed on the newer blowers that carbs are buried under the gas tank and you need to do some minor disassembly of the machine to get at the fuel system. I think that design is to prevent icing. Might even be a couple hours labor. But agree that $300 is on the very high end.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I've had a cub cadet 24" two stage for the last 12 years and haven't had any issues other than airing up the tires occasionally. I completely drain the fuel every spring though.
wilked

Post by wilked »

pshonore wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:12 am
wilked wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:40 am

I've noticed on the newer blowers that carbs are buried under the gas tank and you need to do some minor disassembly of the machine to get at the fuel system. I think that design is to prevent icing. Might even be a couple hours labor. But agree that $300 is on the very high end.
I'd like to imagine the fuel shutoff is designed to be manipulated. I'd be surprised if it's buried. But I do get your point
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

At least for me, the cost of labor is high because I don't have a way to get the 2-stage snow blower to the shop. So I have to pay to have them come to fix, or at least transport, the machine. I love my SUV, but it cannot haul a 2-stage snow blower.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

Another happy Ariens user. We got an Ariens two stage when we bought our house in 2003, and it has been a great snowblower for 18 seasons now.
wilked

Post by wilked »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 am At least for me, the cost of labor is high because I don't have a way to get the 2-stage snow blower to the shop. So I have to pay to have them come to fix, or at least transport, the machine. I love my SUV, but it cannot haul a 2-stage snow blower.
I think in this case (replace a fuel shutoff and a broken cable) you'd find a local 'backyard mechanic' on nextdoor or the like to come over and do the work at your home. At least that's what I'd do if I wasn't comfortable repairing it. I'd supply the parts, and be looking for ~$100 labor (figure 2 hrs at $50/hr).

Another option is to be friendly with a neighbor who is handy, and a bottle of his/her favorite scotch/whiskey would likely do the trick (and you can learn to do it in the process!)
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

agree with others: the upper end 2 stage Cub Cadet should be more than adequate for most

I've used it in deep snow (3 1/2 and 4 foot !! :shock:) yep, both nice and fluffy and the wet stuff and it works.
(...and I had about 750 ft to clear to get to the road)
just use the lower gear to clear and not stall out

and remember that if you get that level of snow: don't forget to rake your roof!
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We have a John Deere 380 series tractor with the snowblower attachment. We live in NW PA near Lake Erie and we get quite a bit of snow and have a very long driveway. It works really well for us, the only learning curve we had was getting the tire chains on correctly, the first few times they would fall off until my husband tinkered with them enough to get them to stay put.

After the summer mowing season was over this year, my husband took the lawnmower deck off the tractor and replaced it with the snowblower. I like that the tractor serves us all year instead of just the summer. It's also nice to just have one machine. It's very easy for me to start and use. The only drawback is having to change the decks but it only happens twice a year and isn't too difficult. The snowblower attachment itself is pretty heavy though.

Fortunately we have an oversized 2 car garage so we keep the tractor and two cars in there.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

retiredjg wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:18 pm Thanks. :happy
The latest is 3 stage (3X) . They took the middle third of the auger and turned it 90 degrees.

https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Cub-C ... 11543.html

I have one and it works well especially where the driveway meets the road.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

prd1982 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 am At least for me, the cost of labor is high because I don't have a way to get the 2-stage snow blower to the shop. So I have to pay to have them come to fix, or at least transport, the machine. I love my SUV, but it cannot haul a 2-stage snow blower.
Find a better dealer. My dealer (not the closest one to my house, but that one will do it too) will pick it up and drop it off at no charge if work is being done. They'll also store it over the off-season (again if you're having paid work done). When I bought it, we were less than a week out from a snowmageddon event, and their delivery schedule was booked up, so I paid $15 to rent Uhaul's smallest open trailer (4x7'), and picked it up myself.

Thus far, I've done what little work is required myself (oil changes, belt replacement when I broke them), but this year I'll probably have them take it away, change the oil, adjust the scraper, install some poly skids and maybe the weight kit. Then they'll bring it back in the fall.
dcb

Post by dcb »

I have a Gilson 2-stage from the 1970''s with a Tecumseh engine. I have it serviced every 5 years whether it needs it or not. Still starts with a couple of pulls in the coldest weather. Needs a new belt occasionally but other than that has been trouble-free. It is heavy with a lot of cast iron parts and thick plate steel for the collector. They of course are no longer sold. Lawnboy bought them out in the late 80's and Toro then bought Lawnboy and completely destroyed the brand. I think the closest machine to buy today would be one of the top of the line Ariens.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Happy with the Ariens Platinum 30 SHO I picked up last year. It is currently their largest/most powerful non commercial blower. I've used it about eight times so far this winter with the only modification being a set of tire chains. It really didn't need the chains, but they really help on my uneven and occasionally ice coated driveway. I haven't gotten the machine to choke yet--even with the sometimes taller than the blower piles of cement left by the plow.

It takes me a bit less than an leisurely hour to hit a >300' sloping curved gravel/dirt driveway, the side yard by the woodpile, and the big pad in front of the garage.

I bought it from a well respected local dealer/maintenance shop and not a big box store. This way I at least have a relationship with them in case I needed a repair that I couldn't handle on my own-not likely to be honest.

While everyone's driveway is different, I am not at all a fan of the tracked versions. They typically take too much fiddling with to easily knock out anything but the most square/straight driveways, they don't turn as well as the wheeled flavors, and they are difficult to move when they aren't running.
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

I'm very happy with my Simplicity 24-inch, 9.5 HP, 2-stage, 5-speed forward, 2-speed reverse, electric start snowblower. Going on fifteen years of New England snowfall and running strong. Looks good too, I always brush it off after use. Silicone spray inside the shute to prevent snow and ice build-up. We have a 150-foot driveway, and I told the salesman "I want the biggest snowblower that I can still operate safely when I'm "much older" and he said "This is the one".

My Simplicity looks identical to the Ariens, maybe the same company?
a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

brokendirtdart wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 pm Happy with the Ariens Platinum 30 SHO I picked up last year. It is currently their largest/most powerful non commercial blower. I've used it about eight times so far this winter with the only modification being a set of tire chains. It really didn't need the chains, but they really help on my uneven and occasionally ice coated driveway. I haven't gotten the machine to choke yet--even with the sometimes taller than the blower piles of cement left by the plow.

It takes me a bit less than an leisurely hour to hit a >300' sloping curved gravel/dirt driveway, the side yard by the woodpile, and the big pad in front of the garage.

I've got the same machine and am happy with it. Noticed you have a gravel driveway as well, I put on a pair of ArmorSkids from Snowblowerskids.com four years ago and I like them a lot. Particularly during that early period of winter where you don't have a nice base of ice/snow down and you're hitting a lot of gravel. The expanded bases don't dig in nearly as much as the factory skids.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Yooper wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:29 pm
brokendirtdart wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:28 pm Happy with the Ariens Platinum 30 SHO I picked up last year. It is currently their largest/most powerful non commercial blower. I've used it about eight times so far this winter with the only modification being a set of tire chains. It really didn't need the chains, but they really help on my uneven and occasionally ice coated driveway. I haven't gotten the machine to choke yet--even with the sometimes taller than the blower piles of cement left by the plow.

I've got the same machine and am happy with it. Noticed you have a gravel driveway as well, I put on a pair of ArmorSkids from Snowblowerskids.com four years ago and I like them a lot. Particularly during that early period of winter where you don't have a nice base of ice/snow down and you're hitting a lot of gravel. The expanded bases don't dig in nearly as much as the factory skids.
Oh those look NICE. Will add on for next year.
jay99

Post by jay99 »

Two stage Ariens 28 inch since your driveway is 120 FT. I have the 24 inch Arien's with same engine as 28 inch. Amazing machine, simply the best!!

You know you have the right blower when it slices right thru the end of driveway and then you need to help your neighbor with their driveway.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Thank you very much.
Ariens 24" compact; 50-foot driveway, several major snowfalls a year. I also added the Ariens heated grips later (they're great); you need to search by your model. I use regular unleaded and throw in Seafoam with every gallon.

One thing about the Ariens (at least with mine): The shear bolts break. A lot. I run through a half-dozen each season. Even more before I realized not to over-tighten them. Never happened with my Craftsman which lasted forever.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Get Toro 2 stage. The only consumer brand that does not require you to deal with shear bolts breaking in bad weather. It has strong enough build to be able to just shut down the engine without damaging itself if it hits something it cannot break apart, but that has not happen to me in the past 3 years I've been using my Toro Powermax 28''. This single feature made me pick Toro.

I also do not regret splurging on model with handle-warmers and installing poly skids and cab kit (that has to be installed with extra weights for balance). Hand warmers and cab kit makes 1-1.5 hour to clear my driveway in heavy snow very comfortable and poly skids protect garage epoxy coating. I also installed Drift Cutters, but, in retrospect, should not have spent the $70 on that one, did not get deep enough snow yet for it be useful, thanks god, and very unlikely to.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

brianH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:54 pm If you live somewhere around the Philly/NJ/NYC or further South area, I'm going to recommend the Toro Snowmaster. It's the recommendation on The Wirecutter review site (https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-snow-blowers/) and many others. It's especially a good pick for novices, because it controls a lot like a lawnmower.

Snowblowers are one of those items where people get all "Tim The Tool Man" and declare that everyone should get the biggest, baddest dual stage on the market. For Maine/Western NY with 60-120" a year, that may be true, but for an average of 20" around Philly, something like the Snowmaster will allow you to clear at 2x the pace of an unwieldy dual stage.
As per my username - I live in an area that gets snow. And as mentioned unless you get massive amounts of snow - I'd agree with this post. A quality single stage blower may be adequate. Even in the rare heavy/deep snow - a good single stage can clear things out just fine (you might just have to go slower and/or clear a narrower pass at a time).

For us, we don't have a lot of excess garage space - so a single stage fits our space much better. Its also much easier for both of us to handle. [And cost a lot less than a dual-stage.] There's maybe been 3 times when I "wished" I had a two-stage... And the rest of the time (nearly 20 years), I've been very happy with our quality single-stage. (Just don't get a cheap single stage - you do want/need a good engine with power to get through the heavy snow. Made that mistake the first time.)

That said - if you have excess storage space, and have excess funds, a quality two-stage can be a nice luxury. Many of them have power drive and power steering (which may be a "requirement" for some people as they are big an unwieldly without), some even have hand warmers, and other nice touches (I think I recall seeing options with a "cab" of sorts blocking snow from blowing back on you while operating). And generally speaking - they are wider and more powerful - so conceptually they can clear an area quicker. (Although as brianH pointed out - that may not always be the case, as sometimes the lighter weight and agility of a single-stage at your own pace will might be faster than a larger and potentially harder to steer and slower to move dual-stage unit.)
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

This thread is perplexing. Do people really spend $1000 on a snowblower? As a born and raised Alaskan we just used snow shovels. The primary shovel was wide (for pushing), large, and deep. I don’t live in Alaska anymore, but my mother still is and in her mid sixties continues to use a shovel.

Snowblowers with hand warmers, polyskids, powerdrive, power steering? Good grief.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I currently own a Toro single stage snowblower I am happy with for my smaller driveway in MD. The advantage of single stage is they tend to clean the driveway better with their rubber impeller.

I also owned a rebranded Ariens (John Deere green to match my tractor). It was the large 28 inch version with a heavy duty cast iron gearbox, locking differential, and heated grips. I paid almost $1,900 for it about 20 years ago. This was for our previous home in PA with a 200 foot driveway with a hill and large parking area. This was fantastic and I would occasionally help my entire neighborhood with bad storms.

Personally, based on your requirements I would lean towards 2-stage Ariens, Toro, or Honda. All are good brands. My version could only be bought through dealers and was built like a tank. It was still in perfect condition when I sold it.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 am This thread is perplexing. Do people really spend $1000 on a snowblower? As a born and raised Alaskan we just used snow shovels. The primary shovel was wide (for pushing), large, and deep. I don’t live in Alaska anymore, but my mother still is and in her mid sixties continues to use a shovel.

Snowblowers with hand warmers, polyskids, powerdrive, power steering? Good grief.
I to walked uphill to school in the snow both ways. Eventually I learned I only had to walk to the bus stop, so that made life easier. Then I got a car and only had to walk to the driveway. :happy

but in all seriousness, yes people are buying snowblowers. Some more capable machines cost more than less capable machines.

I've lived in a half dozen different snow affected states to include four years in Alaska. I have always used shovels. The driveway I have at my current rental is longer than all those other driveways combined. Probably double/triple that. All my neighbors have a plow guy, but I would rather do it on my own without the hassle of beating up my truck by installing a plow or figuring out where I was going to pile snow up. Enter the $1800 snowblower. What takes me an hour with the snowblower would probably take me about six hours with a shovel and shoveling uneven gravel driveways aren't fun-it doesn't push very well.

Hand warmers? Yep, because once you have a few cold weather injuries the circulation in your hands doesn't work as well. Don't knock them until you try them.

"powerdrive"? Which I assume you mean is moving under it's own power. My blower specs out at 293.9 pounds. I don't know about you, but that is a bit difficult for ME to push uphill through the snow.

If I end up with the land I am looking for I will have an even longer driveway, and then I'll be buying a tractor and a tractor mounted blower. I'll still have shovels like I do now-one by each door and one in the back of my truck. I'll also still have my current blower for the fine work.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:46 am
Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 am This thread is perplexing. Do people really spend $1000 on a snowblower? As a born and raised Alaskan we just used snow shovels. The primary shovel was wide (for pushing), large, and deep. I don’t live in Alaska anymore, but my mother still is and in her mid sixties continues to use a shovel.

I too walked uphill to school in the snow both ways. Eventually I learned I only had to walk to the bus stop, so that made life easier. Then I got a car and only had to walk to the driveway. :happy

but in all seriousness, yes people are buying snowblowers. Some more capable machines cost more than less capable machines.

I've lived in a half dozen different snow affected states to include four years in Alaska. I have always used shovels. The driveway I have at my current rental is longer than all those other driveways combined. Probably double/triple that. All my neighbors have a plow guy, but I would rather do it on my own without the hassle of beating up my truck by installing a plow or figuring out where I was going to pile snow up. Enter the $1800 snowblower. What takes me an hour with the snowblower would probably take me about six hours with a shovel and shoveling uneven gravel driveways aren't fun-it doesn't push very well.

Hand warmers? Yep, because once you have a few cold weather injuries the circulation in your hands doesn't work as well. Don't knock them until you try them.

"powerdrive"? Which I assume you mean is moving under it's own power. My blower specs out at 293.9 pounds. I don't know about you, but that is a bit difficult for ME to push uphill through the snow.

If I end up with the land I am looking for I will have an even longer driveway, and then I'll be buying a tractor and a tractor mounted blower. I'll still have shovels like I do now-one by each door and one in the back of my truck. I'll also still have my current blower for the fine work.
Six hours is lunacy. As a child, after snowstorms I would venture off to the wealthiest neighborhood (if you are familiar with Anchorage, Hillside) and shovel for some spending money. A lot of these driveways are shockingly long and often meandering with varying elevation. I don't recall any taking over an hour or two. The key is the snow must be pushed, not shoveled up and out for each portion.

Handwarmers. Barring medical conditions, if one were to use their hands to shovel instead of sitting on or walking behind a snowblower, I reckon the movement would help with circulation and keep them very warm :oops:

While you are preparing/troubleshooting the snowblower and inserting the gas, I will have taken the shovel off the wall and already shoveled half the driveway.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

Given the cost and headaches I hear about snowblowers, I don't get the appeal. Too many times I hear about someone with a broken snow blower with 1-2 ft on the way. Just get a good shovel, either the large wheel type like the wovel/snow wolf or try the pushing/scoop type. If you get the occasional storm that you cannot or just don't want to deal with, hire a plow. Unless you get several large storms every year, this works well. I estimate at least 20 years in plowing expenses before hitting the purchase prices seen in some of these posts.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:56 am

I too walked uphill to school in the snow both ways. Eventually I learned I only had to walk to the bus stop, so that made life easier. Then I got a car and only had to walk to the driveway. :happy

Six hours is lunacy. As a child, after snowstorms I would venture off to the wealthiest neighborhood (if you are familiar with Anchorage, Hillside) and shovel for some spending money. A lot of these driveways are shockingly long and often meandering with varying elevation. I don't recall any taking over an hour or two. The key is the snow must be pushed, not shoveled up and out for each portion.

Handwarmers. Barring medical conditions, if one were to use their hands to shovel instead of sitting on or walking behind a snowblower, I reckon the movement would help with circulation and keep them very warm :oops:

While you are preparing/troubleshooting the snowblower and inserting the gas, I will have taken the shovel off the wall and already shoveled half the driveway.
Oh I'm quite familiar with Anc's Hillside area. Nice paved driveways with nice fluffy light snow and all.

Who is troubleshooting a snowblower? Regular preventative maintenance like every small engine machinery before the season-open the garage, start the machine, and blow during the season.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:56 am While you are preparing/troubleshooting the snowblower and inserting the gas, I will have taken the shovel off the wall and already shoveled half the driveway.
I will require a video of you shoveling half your driveway in 60 seconds to believe this statement. :)
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

AnEngineer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:03 am Given the cost and headaches I hear about snowblowers, I don't get the appeal. Too many times I hear about someone with a broken snow blower with 1-2 ft on the way. Just get a good shovel, either the large wheel type like the wovel/snow wolf or try the pushing/scoop type. If you get the occasional storm that you cannot or just don't want to deal with, hire a plow. Unless you get several large storms every year, this works well. I estimate at least 20 years in plowing expenses before hitting the purchase prices seen in some of these posts.
I don't have a dog in the fight and agree a snowblower isn't for everyone. If it was just a matter of shoveling once and be done for 3 or 4 days, I'd do it. Even though I have a long driveway. My driveway runs north/south, prevailing winds are from the West/Northwest. I kid you not there are numerous times every winter when I have to clean out the driveway 3 or 4 times a day due to drifting. And when that happens, you're not simply cleaning out the actual precipitation that fell, you're essentially cleaning out up to the depth of your banks. And the banks can be high... About 75% of the time we get snow it's accompanied by a certain amount of wind. Not the type I'm speaking of above, but enough when where you get an extra inch or two blown in on top of what actually fell. Like I said, they may not be for everyone, but for me they save a substantial amount of time - and I can't begin to imagine wear and tear on my body (grin).
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:17 am
Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:56 am

Oh I'm quite familiar with Anc's Hillside area. Nice paved driveways with nice fluffy light snow and all.

Who is troubleshooting a snowblower? Regular preventative maintenance like every small engine machinery before the season-open the garage, start the machine, and blow during the season.
Hillside can be often inaccessible in the winter without studded tires and/or 4x4. Any freezing rain and it's a death wish. It receives high levels of accumulation (there is a ski resort quite literally in the neighborhood) and often gets wind gusts of over 100mph. Hillside is no picnic. As a teenager, I flipped my Pathfinder there during a snowstorm and emergency services were unable to reach me for hours.

I will concede that you seem to live or have lived in a rural area and a snow blower or snow plow are likely appropriate.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

MTD Products produced brands/products are great for Snow blowers, e.g., Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, Craftsman (MTD produces for Stanley Black & Decker)
Last edited by Ramjet on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:37 am
Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:56 am While you are preparing/troubleshooting the snowblower and inserting the gas, I will have taken the shovel off the wall and already shoveled half the driveway.
I will require a video of you shoveling half your driveway in 60 seconds to believe this statement. :)
I have been shoveling dense Alaskan snow since the age of 2. All one needs is a 30+ inch steel snow shovel and a bag of salt. Take your SO out to dinner every month with the saved money. Use the muscles gained from shoveling after dinner.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:23 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:37 am
I have been shoveling dense Alaskan snow since the age of 2. All one needs is a 30+ inch steel snow shovel and a bag of salt. Take your SO out to dinner every month with the saved money. Use the muscles gained from shoveling after dinner.
Still want to see you shovel your entire driveway (and salt it too, apparently) in two minutes. :)
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

investor4life wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 pm

Thank you very much.
Ariens 24" compact; 50-foot driveway, several major snowfalls a year. I also added the Ariens heated grips later (they're great); you need to search by your model. I use regular unleaded and throw in Seafoam with every gallon.

One thing about the Ariens (at least with mine): The shear bolts break. A lot. I run through a half-dozen each season. Even more before I realized not to over-tighten them. Never happened with my Craftsman which lasted forever.
I use the kind that a have a hole in the end of the bolt and fasten with a cotter pin like device. Better they break than lock up the gear box.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Agreed. In Anchorage, with an annual average snowfall of 79" you could probably get away with a Harbor Freight leaf blower. Just kidding, but really that isn't that much snow to deal with.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Yooper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 am

Agreed. In Anchorage, with an annual average snowfall of 79" you could probably get away with a Harbor Freight leaf blower. Just kidding, but really that isn't that much snow to deal with.
Doesn't that make it #3 overall?
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather- ... cities.php

(these lists always seem to exclude Alaska for some reason)
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

wilked wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 am
Yooper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 am

Doesn't that make it #3 overall?
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather- ... cities.php

(these lists always seem to exclude Alaska for some reason)
Snow accumulation readings are also based from Ted Stevens Airport right off the water which receives the least snowfall. Anchorage spans nearly 2,000 square miles and is larger than Rhode Island.