which snow blower ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ramjet

Re: which snow blower ?

Post by Ramjet »

Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 am This thread is perplexing. Do people really spend $1000 on a snowblower? As a born and raised Alaskan we just used snow shovels. The primary shovel was wide (for pushing), large, and deep. I don’t live in Alaska anymore, but my mother still is and in her mid sixties continues to use a shovel.

Snowblowers with hand warmers, polyskids, powerdrive, power steering? Good grief.
Out of curiosity how big/long was your driveway? I'm in Ohio and there are multiple times every year it takes me hours to shovel our driveway
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:07 am
wilked wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:00 am
Yooper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 am
Orangutan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 am This thread is perplexing. Do people really spend $1000 on a snowblower? As a born and raised Alaskan we just used snow shovels. The primary shovel was wide (for pushing), large, and deep. I don’t live in Alaska anymore, but my mother still is and in her mid sixties continues to use a shovel.

Snowblowers with hand warmers, polyskids, powerdrive, power steering? Good grief.
Agreed. In Anchorage, with an annual average snowfall of 79" you could probably get away with a Harbor Freight leaf blower. Just kidding, but really that isn't that much snow to deal with.
Doesn't that make it #3 overall?
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather- ... cities.php

(these lists always seem to exclude Alaska for some reason)
Snow accumulation readings are also based from Ted Stevens Airport right off the water which receives the least snowfall. Anchorage spans nearly 2,000 square miles and is larger than Rhode Island.
Well I guess we're running way off the original subject (and just joking with Orangutan) but that link is based on large cities. If this link works (https://www.weather.gov/apx/snow) you should see a snapshot of some smaller cities in Michigan. Lake effect snow is what kills us. I always think we get a lot, then every now and then I hear where out West they get seriously dumped on and it stays until mid summer. OK, that's an exaggeration, but they do get hammered.
wilked

Post by wilked »

This is the winter I bought a snowblower. Prior to that I was one of the 'tough guys' who believed a shovel, two strong legs and arms, and the right spirit was enough

Every day or two it seemed we got another 6-8 inches of snow, often heavy snow. My back was screaming toward the end of that stretch. As others noted, the more snow you get the bigger the piles are on each side of the driveway/sidewalk, and thus the higher you need to throw the snow to clear it with the shovel, which is more strain on the muscles, which adds up if you don't allow time to rest those same muscles.

These days I am happy I bought it and I use it regularly, even when I know I could probably shovel with minimal effort. If you get an older Ariens and give it some basic maintenance and perhaps a pro tune up every 3-5 years it'll last longer than you
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Simplicity 7522 series single stage.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Reviving this thread because I've recently moved to a snowy climate (Madison, Wisconsin, average annual snowfall 42 inches). My timing is somewhat unfortunate as I've arrived in November and all of the snow removal companies appear to be fully booked for the winter.

So I'm looking into buying a snowblower, probably an Ariens based on recommendations here and at several local dealers.

My driveway is on the order of 120 feet long and fairly steep. I think this calls for a 2-stage machine, and I guess wider is better, to reduce the number of trips up and down the driveway. Looking for insights/opinions from Bogleheads who are familiar with the Ariens models and with snowblowing/snowthrowing in general.

I filled out the questionnaire at Ariens' website: (1) it snows often in my area, (2) driveway size is 7+ cars, (3) driveway surface is concrete, (4) driveway slope is steep. The recommendations are all Platinum or Professional models, all with RapidTrak (which is apparently a hybrid wheel/track drive system) and 28 or 32 inch width. The cheapest is $2699: https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equi ... idtrak-sho

Do you folks think this is overkill for my use case, or will it be money well spent? Does your answer change if there's a (maybe strong) possibility that from next winter onward I'll pay someone to plow my driveway? I'm guessing that even if I do that, they're only going to show up after major snow events and I'll still need my own means of clearing lesser snowfalls, and I prefer not to shovel this driveway!
riverant

Post by riverant »

Bungo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm Reviving this thread because I've recently moved to a snowy climate (Madison, Wisconsin, average annual snowfall 42 inches).

The track will definitely help on the hill. I have an ariens 28in deluxe. I wouldn’t assume bigger is better…fewer passes but harder to maneuver and store.

My driveway is smaller but the tires occasionally spin or veer off course. It’ll certainly get the job done and be a lot cheaper.

My biggest problem is lifting the handles when I push to scrape the driveway better. It’s more tiring that it should be but seems to be the only way to get a close pass.

I can’t recommend a plow service unless you physically can’t snow blow. In my area they charge by the inch and come by a few times a storm. On big storms you’re trapped until they come…possibly by night.

I certainly don’t think it makes sense to spend over 1-2k+ on a snowblower you will use 1 year.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Bungo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm I filled out the questionnaire at Ariens' website: (1) it snows often in my area, (2) driveway size is 7+ cars, (3) driveway surface is concrete, (4) driveway slope is steep. The recommendations are all Platinum or Professional models, all with RapidTrak (which is apparently a hybrid wheel/track drive system) and 28 or 32 inch width. The cheapest is $2699: https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equi ... idtrak-sho

Do you folks think this is overkill for my use case, or will it be money well spent? Does your answer change if there's a (maybe strong) possibility that from next winter onward I'll pay someone to plow my driveway? I'm guessing that even if I do that, they're only going to show up after major snow events and I'll still need my own means of clearing lesser snowfalls, and I prefer not to shovel this driveway!
I spent about that on my Simplicity Signature Pro about 10 years ago. Ya it is overkill when there's only 3 or 4 inches, but on those days when we have 12+" of heavy wet snow this beast will still throw the snow 50 feet and not flinch at crap piled up on the apron. My drive is 25 x about 150.

I don't mind spending $$$ to get equipment that'll be reliable for 20+ years.
Regards | Bob
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

I bought a 2 stage Ego snow blower (battery powered) so I don't have to deal with gas, oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, etc. I just got it this year, so I haven't used it yet, but reviews on YouTube seem to be satisfied with it. They also make a one stage which a neighbor has, but he is not very satisfied with it. Ego claims the 2 stage version can clear an 18 car driveway with 8-in of snow on a single charge.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgNoMgWYRw

By the way, if you do decide to buy it and have it delivered in the original box, don't try to lift it out of the box. I found it worked better to cut the box into pieces so it did not have to be lifted.
mancich

Post by mancich »

TJat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:22 pm
Bungo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm Reviving this thread because I've recently moved to a snowy climate (Madison, Wisconsin, average annual snowfall 42 inches).

The track will definitely help on the hill. I have an ariens 28in deluxe. I wouldn’t assume bigger is better…fewer passes but harder to maneuver and store.

My driveway is smaller but the tires occasionally spin or veer off course. It’ll certainly get the job done and be a lot cheaper.

My biggest problem is lifting the handles when I push to scrape the driveway better. It’s more tiring that it should be but seems to be the only way to get a close pass.

I can’t recommend a plow service unless you physically can’t snow blow. In my area they charge by the inch and come by a few times a storm. On big storms you’re trapped until they come…possibly by night.

I certainly don’t think it makes sense to spend over 1-2k+ on a snowblower you will use 1 year.
+1 to the Ariens 28 Deluxe. I have the same model. Had it since September 2013 and never had an issue. It does a great job clearing our driveway, which is about 100' long.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Advice from 30 years in Siberacuse (Syracuse) NY

Tailor what you buy for the size of the job
- ie, 24”-28” wide, gas powered, electric start, two stage Cub Cadet has worked for my family with a standard 22’ x 70‘ driveway
- ie, lawn tractor with tire chains and cab covering and front end blower for bigger jobs and gentleman / gentlewoman farms
- ie, 4WD truck with plow for a driveway that is really a long road

- heated hand grips are a nice option
- plan for where you will store the snow blower year around as bigger is not better when it is taking up half your garage or shed
- as was said use ethanol free gas when possible / use gas stabilizer in off season
- keep machine greased and lubed with silicon spray for the moving parts
- make sure your spouse is fully qualified to use it if you travel for work - electric start may be key
- never wear scarves or any loose clothing that may get caught in blower
- never put your hand in blower to unclog it … keep an old hockey stick nearby to free ice if needed
- don’t park a snow blower with a hot muffler next to a gas can in your garage or shed post usage (it’s the fumes that catch on fire)
- train newspaper man / woman to put paper in newspaper box; has anyone ever ran over a Wall Street Journal under the snow and had it stuck half way in the second stage of the blower? (While this is a first world problem it … it took two hours to remove 6 bolts and a needle nose players and crowbar to resume snow clearing operation). Neighbor’s doormat only took about half that long to remove.

- best long term advice: save aggressively using 3 fund BH portfolio in order to buy snowbird place in South in order to give snowblower a rest as required
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Bungo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm I filled out the questionnaire at Ariens' website: (1) it snows often in my area, (2) driveway size is 7+ cars, (3) driveway surface is concrete, (4) driveway slope is steep. The recommendations are all Platinum or Professional models, all with RapidTrak (which is apparently a hybrid wheel/track drive system) and 28 or 32 inch width. The cheapest is $2699: https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equi ... idtrak-sho

The key factor driving the track recommendation is the word "steep". And obviously that's subject to interpretation as to what constitutes steep. One test that should get you close: If your driveway was icy, and you parked a car equipped with all-season tires on it, would that car immediately slide out into the street?

If yes, then you definitely wan to think about a track-driven, and the one you linked would be an excellent choice. If not, I'd be looking at one of the other Platinum models, any of which would work very well for you. I have a previous generation of the Platinum 24 SHO EFI (doesn't have the fancy LED lightbar or electronic chute control of the current model) about 90 minues south of you on a moderately-steep driveway, and it's been amazing. The combination of Ariens' second-largest engine with their largest impeller and smallest bucket makes for incredible clearing power. If mine were stolen, I would 100% buy the current "Great Lakes Edition" to replace it. In this region, the only model below the Platinum line I'd recommend is the Deluxe 28 SHO ($1499)
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

mancich wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:58 am
TJat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:22 pm

+1 to the Ariens 28 Deluxe. I have the same model. Had it since September 2013 and never had an issue. It does a great job clearing our driveway, which is about 100' long.
+1, handles street plow mound very well. Also, always run out the gas and drain the carb bowl to summerize it (I drain the oil, and put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder as well, with a few engine pulls).
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Bungo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm Reviving this thread because I've recently moved to a snowy climate (Madison, Wisconsin, average annual snowfall 42 inches). ...

I filled out the questionnaire at Ariens' website: (1) it snows often in my area, (2) driveway size is 7+ cars, (3) driveway surface is concrete, (4) driveway slope is steep. The recommendations are all Platinum or Professional models, all with RapidTrak (which is apparently a hybrid wheel/track drive system) and 28 or 32 inch width. The cheapest is $2699: https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equi ... idtrak-sho
Do a quick search of CL for something similar.
Search:
https://madison.craigslist.org/d/for-sa ... r&sort=rel
https://madison.craigslist.org/d/for-sa ... r&sort=rel

Honda snowblowers have a good reputation, but the hydrostatic transmission can be expensive to repair.
--Honda HS24: https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/d/ ... 70730.html
--The Honda HS24 seems to be well regarded: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/threads ... rn.153913/

A disk transmission is cheaper to repair and is doable by the homeowner. Recall MTD uses a disk transmission. You'll need to research other brands.
--How to repair MTD disk transmission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJwjKW ... =donyboy73

A narrow snowblower is cheaper and takes up less room when you store it parallel to a garage wall. But you'll pay for that convenience by needing more trips over your driveway. A few more trips is not a terrible thing.

A work light is a convenience feature for use at dusk, but can be replaced by an inexpensive headlamp.

Electric start is nice, but can be added later.

Idea. Visit a recommended local repair shop and ask them what are the most reliable brands of mower/snowblower---the brands they would buy for their own use. (When I did, the recommended brands had a disk transmission.) They might also have some repaired units for sale (trade-ins).

Disclosure. My driveway is concrete, steep, 150' x 3cars wide. City snowplows would block me in... except for my 4x4 and track* drive snowblower. (* Required for steep driveway; nothing else powered and previously tired worked as well.)

I bought a used CL-find Craftsman 5/24 (5hp, 24") track drive snowblower, 20yrs ago (disk transmission, easy/cheap to repair, and I have). Works well when needed, but is slow. 24" is okay, but 5hp is a little underpowered at 5400' altitude; 7hp/24" would have been better.

If you don't have the original manual, download it as a PDF and perform recommended services. You'll probably need to open bottom cover to lubricate some parts (critical for good/smooth operation). It's not hard to do.

Idea: print PDF, put it in a mower/snowblower binder, store binder in garage for quick/easy reference.

In the fall, ensure snowblower is in good condition; gives you time to have it repaired before shops get busy. To minimize problems, use only stabilized fuel, and drain fuel and run carburetor dry for end-of-season storage.

I did need one repair and a (recommended) local repair shop charged $25 (at the time) to come pick it up and return it afterwards; money well spent.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Thanks all for your advice! I decided to go ahead and get the cheapest model recommended by the tool on the Ariens website, based on my driveway size, steepness etc. That model is the Platinum 28" RapidTrak SHO, which is still far from cheap at $2699!

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equi ... idtrak-sho

I found a local dealer that had one in stock and got to play around with it in the store (not powered on, of course). I like the maneuverability gained when you switch from "track" to "wheel" mode (essentially this lifts one of the two wheels driving the track ) and am satisfied that the 28" width is wide enough to avoid having to do too many passes, while not being too cumbersome to maneuver or to clear sidewalks.

Bonus: the dealer is only a few miles from me and will deliver this week for a nominal charge, all gassed and oiled and ready to go. They'll also walk me through how to operate it when they deliver. They're one of the larger Ariens dealers in the area (a "platinum" dealer, for whatever that's worth) and said they're always able to get parts when repairs are needed, and they can repair either onsite at my house or at their shop.
lazydavid wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:53 am The key factor driving the track recommendation is the word "steep". And obviously that's subject to interpretation as to what constitutes steep. One test that should get you close: If your driveway was icy, and you parked a car equipped with all-season tires on it, would that car immediately slide out into the street?
Yes, it's steep enough that I'm almost positive that a car parked anywhere on the driveway, except at the very top where it flattens out near the garage, would slide into the street in icy conditions. This steepness is the reason I opted for a RapidTrak model, otherwise I'd be happy to save the money and get a model with standard wheels.
TJat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:22 pm The track will definitely help on the hill. I have an ariens 28in deluxe. I wouldn’t assume bigger is better…fewer passes but harder to maneuver and store.

Makes sense. And after playing with a few models in person, I'm persuaded that bigger isn't necessarily better. The 30+ inch models are pretty huge. Regarding better scraping of the driveway, I noticed that Ariens sells a weight kit to address this. Curious if anyone has experience using this, and whether it helps. https://www.ariens.com/en-us/part/10ib- ... t-72406500

I talked to my neighbors about their plow service and they said more or less the same as what you said - you don't get to choose the timing of when they arrive, and if you need to be somewhere on a fixed schedule, don't assume you'll be able to make it. They park one of their cars on the street during the snowiest months to ensure they won't be trapped waiting for their driveway to be cleared. (I didn't ask, but I assume that even walking down the driveway to get to the car on those days is nontrivial!)

So I'm gambling that the snowblower will work out well and I won't resort to a plow service next year, and therefore the cost spent on the snowblower is justified. If I'm wrong, oh well, it'll be far from the most expensive mistake I've ever made. (I was a young and foolish investor during the dot-com era, nuff said.) :wink:
Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:23 am Advice from 30 years in Siberacuse (Syracuse) NY
:D
Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:23 am Tailor what you buy for the size of the job
- ie, 24”-28” wide, gas powered, electric start, two stage Cub Cadet has worked for my family with a standard 22’ x 70‘ driveway
- ie, lawn tractor with tire chains and cab covering and front end blower for bigger jobs and gentleman / gentlewoman farms
- ie, 4WD truck with plow for a driveway that is really a long road
I think this driveway's length (somewhere around 120-150 feet) is short enough that the first option (2 stage snowblower) should suffice. If after a few years I find myself wishing I had a tractor or 4wd truck/plow, that might be enough incentive to move. :)
Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:23 am - heated hand grips are a nice option
- plan for where you will store the snow blower year around as bigger is not better when it is taking up half your garage or shed
- as was said use ethanol free gas when possible / use gas stabilizer in off season
- keep machine greased and lubed with silicon spray for the moving parts
- make sure your spouse is fully qualified to use it if you travel for work - electric start may be key
- never wear scarves or any loose clothing that may get caught in blower
- never put your hand in blower to unclog it … keep an old hockey stick nearby to free ice if needed
- don’t park a snow blower with a hot muffler next to a gas can in your garage or shed post usage (it’s the fumes that catch on fire)
- train newspaper man / woman to put paper in newspaper box; has anyone ever ran over a Wall Street Journal under the snow and had it stuck half way in the second stage of the blower? (While this is a first world problem it … it took two hours to remove 6 bolts and a needle nose players and crowbar to resume snow clearing operation). Neighbor’s doormat only took about half that long to remove.

- best long term advice: save aggressively using 3 fund BH portfolio in order to buy snowbird place in South in order to give snowblower a rest as required
All good advice, thanks! This model has heated hand grips, which I naively think must be overkill if wearing gloves, but I bet the Wisconsin winters will prove me wrong. It also has (wired) electric start, with pull-rope as a backup. The folks at the dealer made the same recommendations regarding ethanol free gas, stabilizer during the storage season, and avoiding newspapers and huge chunks of ice if I want to avoid breaking shear pins.

Garage is nominally a 3-car, although I think it would be snug if I actually put 3 cars in it. But I only have one car, so there's plenty of space for toys and tools like a snowblower as long as I don't go too overboard.

I'm already a 3 fund BH true believer. :D After living in California for 25+ years but having grown up in the Chicago area (and attended UW Madison for grad school) I've really been looking forward to living in a four season climate again. We'll see how many years it takes before I get that out of my system and feel the urge to move to North Carolina or wherever. :sharebeer
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

You have chosen wisely, and will be very happy once the sting of the purchase price has warn off. Also great that you have a large and seemingly helpful local dealer that you're purchasing from. You can't get the Platinum line from big box stores anyway, but knowing your unit was assembled by someone who actually knows how to work on OPE (rather than a random teenager working the night shift to earn a few bucks), and who will be there to support you when you inevitably have questions, is a huge win. If storage space is a concern, see if they do off-season storage. My dealer will (with free pickup/delivery) if you do some sort of service with them--oil change, etc.

As for the heated handgrips, they are powerful and a bit overkill, but don't discount them just yet. They're very nice when the weather is cold and blustery. I can't leave mine on all the time because my hands get too hot if I do, but tend to cycle them on/off a few times when the weather is really bad.

Test your electric start when you get it (and at least once a season thereafter) to make sure it works, but I'm guessing you'll find it's actually easier to just yank the cord and go. Mine still starts on a modest first pull every time, even after sitting all summer. That reminds me, I should take my own advice, it's probably been two years since I tested the electric start. :p

Ethanol free gas is wonderful if you can get it (I can't unless I pay $$$$ for TruFuel at the hardware store), but if you can't just use Stabil Marine (better water protection than standard Stabil) 100% of the time with 93 octane from your local station and you'll be fine.

One other thing I learned the hard way--always start/stop the auger when there is no/minimal snow in the bucket. My second year I stopped in a snowbank for some reason, then re-engaged while I was still in the snowbank. Snapped both drive belts instantly. Replacing them isn't a terrible job (couple of bolts separates the bucket from the chassis), but I still don't want to do it again, so now if I have to stop, I back fully out, wait for the chute to clear, then disengage the auger. Re-engage before heading back into the drift.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Bungo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:40 pm Thanks all for your advice! I decided to go ahead and get the cheapest model recommended by the tool on the Ariens website, based on my driveway size, steepness etc. That model is the Platinum 28" RapidTrak SHO, which is still far from cheap at $2699!

https://www.ariens.com/en-us/power-equi ... idtrak-sho
Based on the Reviews (at link), many mention it being a pain to steer in track mode*, and the need to switch back to wheel mode to do so easily. But switching wheel/track modes is said to be an annoyance if required often. (* Assumed due to increased traction, and maybe longer machine footprint.)

Idea. Steer using your hips, not your arms, so you can stay in track mode. (I steer my track drive this way, much less arm fatigue.)

Instead of trying to turn it with your arms in track mode, turn it with your hips. How? With both hands on the handle, push with your hips (1) against the handle and (2) sideways against the hand/arm that steers it in the direction you want to go.

If yours is as fast as the reviews claim, you may need to shift into a slower forward gear to be able to keep your footing while using your hips to steer. Switching to a slower drive speed to steer may be faster than switching wheel/track modes.

But try steering both ways (by switching track/wheel modes, by switching speeds if needed to steer with your hips) and see which you prefer.

Idea. Create clearings at the top/bottom of each pass to make turning easier, so you can stay in track mode. (I do this, too.)
--First. Clear several passes side-to-side and across the width of your garage/house. Then...
--Clear down your driveway, through snowplow's berm, and into cleared street. (Watch wind direction to keep blown snow off you. Start first pass on up-wind side of your driveway, and blow snow toward down-wind side.)
--Now you have clearings at the ends of each pass, so can easily turn around at the top and bottom of each pass. This should result in much less start/stop maneuvering in deep snow, so should not need to switch track/wheel modes.

Using both idea, I must maneuver (use hips to turn) to create the turning clearing near my house (5-10 mins), but after that, the rest is just walking up/down my driveway with easy turns at each end.

Let us know how you like using your new machine. Pictures of flying snow would be nice. :)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

dratkinson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 am Based on the Reviews (at link), many mention it being a pain to steer in track mode*, and the need to switch back to wheel mode to do so easily. But switching wheel/track modes is said to be an annoyance if required often. (* Assumed due to increased traction, and maybe longer machine footprint.)
Based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pjKGSFFXs It doesn't look difficult or annoying at all to switch modes. lean back a touch and you're in wheel mode, squeeze the "hand brake" lever and it drops right back into track mode.

But even that may not be necessary. The Rapidtrak models still have Ariens "Auto Turn" feature just like the rest of the Deluxe/Platinum/Professional line. This is simply an auto-locking differential. While you're clearing, the diff is locked and both wheels are driven, so you go straight forward. When you get to the end of the run, you initiate the turn by slowing the inside wheel relative to the outside wheel (Push on one handle or pull on the other). That unlocks the diff, and only the outside wheel (track) is driven, causing it to rotate around the other wheel/track. Straighten it out to stop the turn and the diff locks again.

You can still muscle it around if you want to--and in that case, I agree with you that hips are better than arms--but you certainly don't have to.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I live in suburban Minneapolis, and have a driveway that is about 100' long. Used to have a gigantic two stage Ariens blower. For comparison, I'd say there are about 5 snowfall a year that require a blower, many more can easily be cleared with a pusher.

My wife (who weighs 120lb) found it was too much to manage, so I bought a Toro 721 https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/snow- ... 21-e-38753 for her to use when I'm away on trips.

It did just as good a job as the Ariens, so we sold that and just use the 721.
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

I can't believe I missed this lengthy thread somehow but...
+1 for the 2-stage Ariens, purchased in 2012. We have a large one (Platinum 30"? 32"?) but that's because we have a 600-foot long driveway and sometimes get pretty heavy snowstorms. If I simply need to do a few passes to get out and go to work, I can get it done in 20 minutes or less. I can't tell you the joy I feel when I watch a steady stream of wet snow emerge from the chute and project 30' into the woods, like an oversized line of wet Play-Doh. If I want it really done well, edge-to-edge, including the turn-out/ basketball half court at the top, it's a little over an hour. It has heated handgrips which is pretty nice. They also make a plastic weather shield thing, like a motorboat rain top, but I think if I was seen using that I might not be able to face my neighbors ;)
OP has been given excellent advice regarding gas/ ethanol/ carb protection, as well as annual maintenance and the advice to buy from a small machine shop.
I generally service it myself; changing belts and fixing the random small part is pretty straightforward. I have disassembled it once or twice, cleaned up rust, and repainted with the Ariens orange (there is a Chevrolet classic orange block paint that also seems to be a perfect match) Eventually (last year) the differential began slipping, and I had the shop where I purchased it replace that as well as give everything a look over. I had been having an issue with the chute mechanism that I could not get quite right but after they were done with the machine, it was like brand new.
Not cheap. $1600-ish in 2012. Probably another $500 including that one service, and my own replacement of parts (with of course my free labor)
Cheaper than a plow guy, and less damage to the driveway. I would really like to own a plow, even if it's on a lawn machine/ ATV, but I only have a 2-car garage and no garden/ tool shed. The Ariens is a "good enough" solution for me.
Cheers
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 am
dratkinson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 am Based on the Reviews (at link), many mention it being a pain to steer in track mode*, and the need to switch back to wheel mode to do so easily. But switching wheel/track modes is said to be an annoyance if required often. (* Assumed due to increased traction, and maybe longer machine footprint.)
Based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pjKGSFFXs It doesn't look difficult or annoying at all to switch modes. lean back a touch and you're in wheel mode, squeeze the "hand brake" lever and it drops right back into track mode.

But even that may not be necessary. The Rapidtrak models still have Ariens "Auto Turn" feature just like the rest of the Deluxe/Platinum/Professional line. This is simply an auto-locking differential. While you're clearing, the diff is locked and both wheels are driven, so you go straight forward. When you get to the end of the run, you initiate the turn by slowing the inside wheel relative to the outside wheel (Push on one handle or pull on the other). That unlocks the diff, and only the outside wheel (track) is driven, causing it to rotate around the other wheel/track. Straighten it out to stop the turn and the diff locks again.

You can still muscle it around if you want to--and in that case, I agree with you that hips are better than arms--but you certainly don't have to.
Ohh, that's nice.

Agree that mode changes (wheel/track/lockdown) do seem to be easy, so don't see why Reviewers (on Ariens website) were complaining.

Auto Turn feature. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVuRuHG ... nel=Ariens
Locking differential. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSrJ4Ua ... kAntonucci

Since these features are internal to the underside of the snowblower, and the RapidTrak seems to an upgrade to a wheeled unit, I could see how both features could be on a RapidTrak unit. But when I quick searched for "Ariens RapidTrak auto turn" and "Ariens RapidTrak locking differential", I couldn't find anything; search results returned only wheeled units.

And at 15:25 in your linked video, narrator says that, (RapidTrak in lockdown mode) "...doesn't steer, it just goes straight." (Is this due to locking differential "engaged" and auto turn "disengaged", or is something else going on?)

So I'd need to ask dealer specifically to demo those features... before considering whether I needed a new snowblower. :)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

dratkinson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:05 am Since these features are internal to the underside of the snowblower, and the RapidTrak seems to an upgrade to a wheeled unit, I could see how both features could be on a RapidTrak unit. But when I quick searched for "Ariens RapidTrak auto turn" and "Ariens RapidTrak locking differential", I couldn't find anything; search results returned only wheeled units.
Here's the current operators manual for the entire Platinum series: https://manualzz.com/doc/59708857/arien ... ors-manual

Any feature that is not on all models has a sub-head where it identifies what model that feature is present in. Here's an example for checking tire pressure, which only applies to the two models that have tires:
CHECK TIRE PRESSURE
Models 921063, 921064
Keep tires inflated to pressure listed on tire sidewall.
There is no such call-out for the Auto-turn feature:
AUTO-TURN™ STEERING
Automatically locks or unlocks wheels or tracks to allow unit to turn more precisely.
So I'm 99% sure it's there across the lineup--which makes sense, because the friction-disc transmission is common, what's attached the the output shaft simply differs.
dratkinson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:05 amAnd at 15:25 in your linked video, narrator says that, (RapidTrak in lockdown mode) "...doesn't steer, it just goes straight." (Is this due to locking differential "engaged" and auto turn "disengaged", or is something else going on?)

So I'd need to ask dealer specifically to demo those features... before considering whether I needed a new snowblower. :)
This one I can't answer. It may have a way of keeping the diff locked in "dig in mode" as they call it, or it may simply mean that this mode is basically only used to provide additional traction when clearing the plow drift at the end of the drive, so there's not a realistic way for you as an operator to initiate a turn and cause it to unlock. Not sure.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 am Based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pjKGSFFXs It doesn't look difficult or annoying at all to switch modes. lean back a touch and you're in wheel mode, squeeze the "hand brake" lever and it drops right back into track mode.

This is consistent with my understanding and with my experience playing around with the snowblower in the shop. You pull a lever to switch to wheel mode, and auto turn seems to "just work" when you initiate a turn. Of course, that was in a clean dry shop, not on a hilly driveway covered with snow; I'll have to wait until the first real snowfall to find out how well it works in practice. My snowblower is being delivered tomorrow, so I'll probably do a little "dry run" practice on my driveway to make sure I understand how all the controls work.
dratkinson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 am Let us know how you like using your new machine. Pictures of flying snow would be nice. :)
I'll keep you guys posted! Will include a picture if I can!
nordsteve wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:46 am I live in suburban Minneapolis, and have a driveway that is about 100' long. Used to have a gigantic two stage Ariens blower. For comparison, I'd say there are about 5 snowfall a year that require a blower, many more can easily be cleared with a pusher.
I must admit, I'm such a rookie that I'd never heard of a pusher. Googling suggests that it's an extra-wide snow shovel, and some models have wheels! It's impressive how many ingenious tools have been developed to deal with snowy climates. Btw, as I write this I'm remembering once again that I need to get an ice scraper for my car...

Incidentally, this morning I finally got a (long-delayed) response from a snow removal company that I had contacted a couple of weeks ago. They quoted me $105 per visit, with multiple visits possible during snowstorms. That would certainly add up fast! I can imagine this $2699 snowblower paying for itself within a single year, or two at most. (Assuming I value my time at zero; now that I'm a retiree, I guess that's reasonable. :D )
Harry Livermore wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:38 am I can't believe I missed this lengthy thread somehow but...
+1 for the 2-stage Ariens, purchased in 2012. We have a large one (Platinum 30"? 32"?) but that's because we have a 600-foot long driveway and sometimes get pretty heavy snowstorms. If I simply need to do a few passes to get out and go to work, I can get it done in 20 minutes or less. I can't tell you the joy I feel when I watch a steady stream of wet snow emerge from the chute and project 30' into the woods, like an oversized line of wet Play-Doh.
Wow, that's amazing, and very encouraging! Since I haven't actually used a snowblower yet, I've been assuming that it would take an hour or more to clear my ~120ish foot driveway, but it sounds like it could be much quicker even with the steep incline. I'm definitely looking forward to witnessing that Play-Doh stream of snow!
Last edited by Bungo on Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Bungo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am
nordsteve wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:46 am I live in suburban Minneapolis, and have a driveway that is about 100' long. Used to have a gigantic two stage Ariens blower. For comparison, I'd say there are about 5 snowfall a year that require a blower, many more can easily be cleared with a pusher.
I must admit, I'm such a rookie that I'd never heard of a pusher. Googling suggests that it's an extra-wide snow shovel, and some models have wheels! It's impressive how many ingenious tools have been developed to deal with snowy climates. Btw, as I write this I'm remembering once again that I need to get an ice scraper for my car...
The pusher is great on the driveway for 1-2" snowfalls. The one I have is a custom fiberglass one that the previous owner left. It's kind of like this one , except the box is wider and deeper, holding more snow.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

nordsteve wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:34 am
Bungo wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am
The pusher is great on the driveway for 1-2" snowfalls. The one I have is a custom fiberglass one that the previous owner left. It's kind of like this one , except the box is wider and deeper, holding more snow.
Here it's generally bright and sunny after a snowstorm, so for a light snow (<3") and being generally lazy, I start early and:
--Make a few widely spaced passes* down my driveway with a snow shovel and push the snow into the street to be trampled/melted by traffic. (* 1 shovel-width cleared, 2 shovel-widths uncleared,....)
--And clear the sidewalk (required by local ordinance).

When the sun comes out, it heats the cleared driveway strips (and street), which melts the intervening snow strips, so almost all of the snow is gone by the next day.

The only remaining problem is to ensure the street gutters don't clog with ice and snowmelt which might overflow onto sidewalk and possibly freeze overnight. So I spend some time ensuring there is a cleared space between the plowed berm and curb... to ensure snowmelt has a path to quickly drain away. I do this by starting at the downhill* end of the street gutter in front of my house, and use my shovel (light snow) or snowblower (heavy snow) to come up the street and dig out the space in front of the curb. So far, so good.

* By starting at the downhill end of the street gutter, snowmelt quickly drains away.

If I started at the uphill end of the street gutter, water would flow down and fill the cut I'm making, and make a mess to walk through. And if I use the snowblower to make the cut, a mix of water/wet soupy snow can easily stick/freeze/clog the discharge chute**. So it's much easier to start at the downhill end of the cut.

** I do use silicon spray (NAPA, HD,...) in the auger housing and discharge chute, but wet soupy snow can defeat my weak little machine's ability to clear its chute. So I clear the gutter last, then put snowblower way to thaw and dry in my garage.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

dratkinson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:33 pm

Here it's generally bright and sunny after a snowstorm, so for a light snow (<3") and being generally lazy, I start early and:
--Make a few widely spaced passes* down my driveway with a snow shovel and push the snow into the street to be trampled/melted by traffic. (* 1 shovel-width cleared, 2 shovel-widths uncleared,....)
That works here in March, not so much with low sun angle during December and January (plus, bright and sunny during those months usually means <10 degrees outside). My driveway also goes through a forested area, and you'd be surprised at the impact of bare branches on melting. I was the first time.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 am...
So I'm 99% sure it's there across the lineup--which makes sense, because the friction-disc transmission is common, what's attached the the output shaft simply differs.
Now believe you are correct. Why?

Emphasis mine.

Manual page EN-11 says: "AUTO-TURNTM STEERING. Automatically locks or unlocks wheels or tracks to allow unit to turn more precisely."

Manual page EN-12 say: "IMPORTANT: When the unit is turned left or right, the Auto-TurnTM differential automatically unlocks wheels [should also say "or tracks"] for easier turning. On a straight path, the differential locks both wheels [should also say "or tracks"] in place for best traction."

So (1) auto-turn and (2) locking differential are not two separate features, but seem to be a single combination of the two.

So in "Digger Operation" mode, if the auto-turn sub-feature were locked out, implied since video says it "...can only go straight", then the differential sub-feature would remain locked... since it's only unlocked in a turn.
Bogle7

Electric

Post by Bogle7 »

Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

150 yard driveway and large 1/2 acre gravel grounds area.
For heavy snow.
Mid size John Deere tractor with front loader and Gannon

What we use.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

If you have a gravel driveway, don't get a snowblower. Rocks will get stuck in the auger and prevent it from turning. Three things can happen: 1) You knock out the stone with a hammer and keep blowing. 2) The shear pin will break as it should to prevent damage. The shear bolt can be replaced on the spot. 3) The transmission will break and is expensive to replace. After two short lived snow blowers, my solution for my 500 foot driveway in the Sierra Nevada was to put a front hitch on my pickup truck and an aluminum plow blade. It cost less than $1000. It is hand operated but does the job. To make it easier for myself (I'm 85 years old), I decided this year to put an electric winch on Polaris Ranger ATV and attach a snow plow that I can raise and lower. I can now push snow into huge piles with the pickup and finish up in tight places with the Polaris instead of hand shoveling. The only change for the ATV was to replace the OEM battery with a larger one.
(By the way, every guy should have an American pickup like Chevy, GMC, Ford or Ram. Most foreign pickups are on car and not truck frames.)
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

FandangoDave5010 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:33 pm (By the way, every guy should have an American pickup like Chevy, GMC, Ford or Ram. Most foreign pickups are on car and not truck frames.)
Aside from the blatant stereotyping, this is also factually incorrect.
Toyota Tacoma: truck frame
Toyota Tundra: truck frame
Nissan Frontier: truck frame
Nissan Titan: truck frame
Nissan Titan XD: medium duty truck frame

I assume by "most", you mean the Honda Ridgeline, which is unibody just like the Ford Maverick.
Bungo

Re: Electric

Post by Bungo »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:27 pm Image
Now that's a snow blower/thrower! Found a video of a few of these in action in California (Donner Pass) for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBQ3MaBYiU
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I never used one before and recently purchased a Toro Snowmaster 824 QXE for my 1000sqft driveway. Kind of looking forward to using it.
FandangoDave5010

A quick look in Google will show that besides Honda, Hyundai and Kia will have unibody pickup trucks in 2022. I have owned the Tacoma and Frontier and now have a GMC. Each does a good job pushing snow from a front hitch plow attached to the truck frame.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

FandangoDave5010 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:33 pm If you have a gravel driveway, don't get a snowblower. Rocks will get stuck in the auger and prevent it from turning. Three things can happen: 1) You knock out the stone with a hammer and keep blowing. 2) The shear pin will break as it should to prevent damage. The shear bolt can be replaced on the spot. 3) The transmission will break and is expensive to replace.
I guess it all depends on what type of gravel driveway you have. Mine is 22A Maintenance Gravel from my local quarry (a mix of rock/sand/clay) that packs down pretty good. Having said that, the first few blows of the year I'm spitting quite a few rocks until I get a decent base. I've never had a problem with my blower yet, but at the beginning of the season I set the the scraper blade about 1/2 inch or so high and slowly lower it as a solid snow/ice base develops (maybe 3 or for blows) until it's level to the ground. I'm only saying this so as not to discourage anyone that has a gravel driveway from getting a snow blower - it all depends.

My personal pet peeve is the heated handles. I thought I'd love them, until I used them. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I find all they do is get my mitts wet. I.e. Whenever I take a hand off of change the chute direction any snow that lands on the handle (however briefly) immediately melts and when I replace my hand the mitt gets wet. And wetter. Same for my other hand if I have to move it for any reason (and invariably I do). So I leave the heat off most of the time - just dash inside the house to swap mitts when my fingers get frozen.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I live in Chicago and have a 15 y/o single stage Toro. I probably use it maybe a dozen times a year. I just buy premium gas from the gas station, oil, and do routine maintenance replacing the paddles every 5 years or so, belt, spark plug etc. I have a Toro lawnmower that is 20 years old. I just do routine maintenance and replaced some odds and ends on that (other than air filter, spark plugs blade I replaced the wheels, belt, and probably needs a new rubber primer bulb for next year.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I seems to me like almost anything that Honda makes is tough to beat in yard equipment. We have a guy that does our driveway and most of our sidewalk is heated but we have some decking and some other sidewalk that we use a 720 Honda on and its very easy to start and can do a pretty solid job. We get 120-140 inches a year here I think and its been solid.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

This one https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ariens-Sno-T ... r/39131134 works great on a 100 yard driveway. Built by Ariens. Worked great during heavy snow few years ago.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Please return the expensive snow blower. This is all you need (I have been shoveling snow since age of 2 in Alaska):

Garant YSP30L Yukon 30-Inch Steel Blade Snow Pusher, Blue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A26FPC/re ... 28FP?psc=1

Natural Rapport Pet Friendly Ice Melt - Calcium Chloride Free, Pet Safe Ice Melter, Rock Salt Alternative - Time Release Deicer Formula Lasts 3X Longer (10 lb)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0197B0Z4I/re ... 6J9060MQNB
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Orangutan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:58 am Please return the expensive snow blower. This is all you need (I have been shoveling snow since age of 2 in Alaska):
If I recall correctly from previous discussions, you deal with mostly light powdery snow with no plowpack at the end of the driveway. That is a VERY different situation than in the midwest. A typical snowfall that I would bring the snowblower out for is 4-6 inches of wet, heavy snow. A shovel like you posted makes it about two feet before a load has to be lifted and thrown, which is not what those pushers are meant for. Clearing the top 90% of my driveway with a shovel in these conditions would take approximately 2 hours, and then the last 3-4 feet of plowpack would take another 3-5 hours (with a different shovel and an icebreaker). Then I would be unable to walk for at least a week, which is just as well because I'd be plowed back in again anyway.

Or I could use the snowblower and be done in 20 minutes.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

I would look closely at the top-end models from Simplicity, Ariens, and Honda. For a large/long residential driveway, over 1,000 square feet, I would focus on the 28" models. A 24" model would be OK for a short driveway, under 600 square feet.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 am
Orangutan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:58 am Please return the expensive snow blower. This is all you need (I have been shoveling snow since age of 2 in Alaska):
If I recall correctly from previous discussions, you deal with mostly light powdery snow with no plowpack at the end of the driveway. That is a VERY different situation than in the midwest. A typical snowfall that I would bring the snowblower out for is 4-6 inches of wet, heavy snow. A shovel like you posted makes it about two feet before a load has to be lifted and thrown, which is not what those pushers are meant for. Clearing the top 90% of my driveway with a shovel in these conditions would take approximately 2 hours, and then the last 3-4 feet of plowpack would take another 3-5 hours (with a different shovel and an icebreaker). Then I would be unable to walk for at least a week, which is just as well because I'd be plowed back in again anyway.

Lazydavid,

This morning, prior to sunrise, I exercised my chest and back (heavy bench press, barbell rows, etc). Then I rode the spin bike at fast pace and completed yoga positions. Respectfully, I am certain I could shovel your driveway in 10-15 minutes (I also lived in Midwest - I am familiar with dense, wet snow). If it is a longer driveway, under 30 min. Only difference is I would also add a smaller accessory shovel alongside the pusher (clear a vertical midway path so two sides remain, then push horizontally working my way down driveway, then repeat same other horizontal side - you do not push vertical to garage)
Harry Livermore

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:43 am 150 yard driveway and large 1/2 acre gravel grounds area.
For heavy snow.

What we use.
j🌺
THAT doesn't look like Hawaii!!!
Cheers
Harry Livermore

Yooper wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:52 pm
I guess it all depends on what type of gravel driveway you have. Mine is 22A Maintenance Gravel from my local quarry (a mix of rock/sand/clay) that packs down pretty good. Having said that, the first few blows of the year I'm spitting quite a few rocks until I get a decent base.

My personal pet peeve is the heated handles.
Our paved driveway is flanked by 18" of trap rock, as border/ drainage. I sometimes get a little too close to the edge and pick up a few. I can confirm that if they wedge in just the right way, it can stop the rake or the auger, and break a shear bolt and/ or make the engine stall. It can also be a real bear to get said rock out afterwards. Usually when this happens to me, it's snowing hard and dark :)

Mine has an on/ off switch for the heated handles, does yours not have the option to turn them off somehow?
Cheers
Last edited by Harry Livermore on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Orangutan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:15 am Respectfully, I am certain I could shovel your driveway in 10-15 minutes
I would pay serious money to see you clear the 3' tall hardpack the plow leaves at the end of my driveway in 10 minutes with a shovel. I think it's great that you can spend 3 hours working out before you start your day. Not all of us can. Sadly, 45 minutes is about all I can manage.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:51 am
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:43 am 150 yard driveway and large 1/2 acre gravel grounds area.
For heavy snow.

What we use.
j🌺
THAT doesn't look like Hawaii!!!
Cheers
Our home in Prescott, AZ (northern az).
j :D

Backyard, near our home in Hawaii up to recently.
No snowblower but year round yard work and machine for chipping/shredding.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Harry Livermore wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 am
Yooper wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:52 pm
My personal pet peeve is the heated handles.
Mine has an on/ off switch for the heated handles, does yours not have the option to turn them off somehow?
Cheers
Yes, there is a switch so I leave them off most of the time. If there's absolutely no wind I'll use them, but only then. And it seems 99 times out of 100 if I have to blow snow - it's blowing snow.....
Harry Livermore

Yooper wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:37 am
And it seems 99 times out of 100 if I have to blow snow - it's blowing snow.....
Hahaha, yes. Me too! :)
Cheers
brianH

Post by brianH »

simplesimon wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm I never used one before and recently purchased a Toro Snowmaster 824 QXE for my 1000sqft driveway. Kind of looking forward to using it.
I love my Snowmaster.

Way, way faster and more effective at clearing down to the surface than 2-stage units. For my area (near Philly) 2-stages are absolute overkill. I love being back inside while my neighbors are still plodding along with those slow 2-stage units.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 am

I'd have to agree that no "snowpusher" could handle the 3 1/2 - 4 ft of snow we had, especially the wet stuff ("cascade concrete" is what it's usually referred to)...
and with over 750 ft to get to the road that's why the two stage Cub Cadet is used (I had to do by shovel the first big snow and it took hours and could be exhausting). It handled it... but it can't be used to rake your roof...had to configure something for that (otherwise one can lose your roof...some people who didn't clear theirs did lose their roof)
FandangoDave5010

A cheap way to garage an ATV or UTV with a snow plow attachment is to buy an 8' X 20' shipping container. Since it doesn't need a foundation and is under 200 sq.ft. (in my county), it will likely not require a building permit. As I wrote earlier, I damaged two snow blowers clearing my driveway. Maybe because the gravel I use are 3/4" drain rocks. In that case pushing snow is better than blowing. It was a hoot, nevertheless, using the snow blowers.