YouTube Home workout vidoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

YouTube Home workout vidoes

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'd like to burn 5-10 lbs and start doing quick (20 - 45 min) workouts in at home. I've done P90X in the past and had great results but no long have weights or a pull up bar. And I'd like the home workouts to be high intensity cardio more so than lifting because I lift at my gym.

Any recommendations?

EDIT: I just did this work out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnsLVArIt8 It was pretty intense

I think I'm going to stick with mostly just YouTube workouts for now. I figure it'll give me good variation so hoping we can get a good list going.
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freefun

Re: Home workouts

Post by Freefun »

Burpees

Edited - also check YouTube. There’s a million workouts - of course some better than others - but it’s a good way to see stuff you might enjoy actually doing.
Last edited by Freefun on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Running or biking? Good cardio since you have the weight training covered.
bligh

Post by bligh »

Sounds to me like you just described "Insanity". It is also by Beachbody, the same guys who made P90X. I can recommend it for a high intensity cardio workout routine.

They have a few variants and versions. I think there is a 30 minute version too, but they all mostly fall in the 30-50 minute range.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

bligh wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:19 pm Sounds to me like you just described "Insanity". It is also by Beachbody, the same guys who made P90X. I can recommend it for a high intensity cardio workout routine.

They have a few variants and versions. I think there is a 30 minute version too, but they all mostly fall in the 30-50 minute range.
I've heard good things about it. I might give it a shot if I get bored with the YouTube workouts.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm Running or biking? Good cardio since you have the weight training covered.
I have a stationary bike but get bored on it. I also have a bunch of other bikes but the workout needs to be done at home.
Freefun wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm Burpees

Edited - also check YouTube. There’s a million workouts - of course some better than others - but it’s a good way to see stuff you might enjoy actually doing.
The workout I just did have 4 intervals and Burpees was one of them. Definitely gets the heart going regardless of how good of shape you're in! :)
hdas wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 pm Get a couple of kettle-bells. Look up the swing and other key exercises on YouTube. H
Will look up some exercises. But will probably save the kettleballs and other weights for the gym and just stick to body weight and intense cardio at home.
Iowa David

Re: YouTube Home workout vidoes

Post by Iowa David »

+1 for Insanity. No equipment needed and you'll see results in two - weeks.
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Here’s the type of home based stuff I’d do:

https://youtu.be/JWy2-Dz7vJo
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

Exercise does little for weight loss.

Diet is key, FWIW
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

Plant based diet, push ups, pull ups squats and an ab work out run/hike on off days.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Freefun wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:40 pm Here’s the type of home based stuff I’d do:

The comments on these youtube videos are hilarious. :D
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm
runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:13 pm Running or biking? Good cardio since you have the weight training covered.
I have a stationary bike but get bored on it. I also have a bunch of other bikes but the workout needs to be done at home.
No, not that stationary bike or treadmill garbage.

Outside, fresh air!

Not sure why it needs to be home, but if it has to be inside, rules those out ;)
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

I have pulled off some great bike trainer workouts in the winter off of youtube on teh GCN channel. My wife has found some good intense yoga videos off of youtube, 5 parks yoga i think its called. In fact my abs are sore because we did the abdominal workout last night.

For the 20-45 minute time frame ideally running outside would be the best. I also try to do push ups or crunches throughout the day. Playing with kids on the floor, quickly crank out 40 crunches. Cooking dinner, between tasks, 20 push ups. Doing this throughout the day helps.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

With Halloween approaching (candy display was already up 2 weeks ago at Target):

Good going! Keep up the exercise. Don't get discouraged if weight isn't lost. You might be building muscle that weighs more than the fat you're burning off. Also, don't forget the other half of the equation: diet. They're both equally important.

What's your resting heart rate? See if a month or two of cardio changes that. It's a long term indicator, and if you're already in good shape, the changes will be subtle. IMO, as long as your endurance improves, weight is irrelevant.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I like first gen regular P90 No weights. X was too much for me so maybe regular P90 will be too easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPCG346se-Y
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Outside, fresh air!

Not sure why it needs to be home, but if it has to be inside, rules those out ;)
I do get plenty of fresh air when I can. These workouts don't have to be inside but it has to be at home. Take a guess why :)

And if you can't guess, I'm guessing you don't have kids who nap ;)
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Iowa David wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm +1 for Insanity. No equipment needed and you'll see results in two - weeks.
Just saw that Beach Body streaming is $40 for 3 months. That's not bad at all, I pay $45 / mo for the gym. I may give it a try.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

jehovasfitness wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:41 pm Exercise does little for weight loss.

Diet is key, FWIW
I've found that intense workouts combined with eating healthy, especially lean proteins and veggies is the best combination for body composition.
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm
jehovasfitness wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:41 pm Exercise does little for weight loss.

Diet is key, FWIW
I've found that intense workouts combined with eating healthy, especially lean proteins and veggies is the best combination for body composition.
No disagreement there.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

If you once had a pull-up bar, and could actually DO pull-ups, why in the name of heaven would you not have a pull-up bar now? Do you realize how important pull-ups are, and how people envy a person who can do pull-ups?

My advice (use good form):

5 pull-ups
then
5 Burpees (each with a pushup, of course).

Repeat until you die.

(Or take a break once in a while to avoid death.)

You might lose some weight, but you'll be all-powerful regardless.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Hard to beat swimming, running, or biking mixed with heavy weightlifting.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Outside, fresh air!

I do get plenty of fresh air when I can. These workouts don't have to be inside but it has to be at home. Take a guess why :)

I get up and run around 4:30am, before wife and kid are up.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Freefun wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:40 pm Here’s the type of home based stuff I’d do:

Great recommendation, I just did that one. I think the first one I did was tougher (probably because of the burpees) but this one seemed to get the heart rate and sweat going more. Both are painful :)

runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Outside, fresh air!

I get up and run around 4:30am, before wife and kid are up.
Kudos man, but that's not my thing. I much prefer mountain biking and adrenaline sports but I can't always bike and want something to cross-train.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pmI get up and run around 4:30am, before wife and kid are up.
That's dedication!

:thumbsup
onedayer

Post by onedayer »

I would recommend looking up Athlean-X on YouTube. Jeff Cavaliere is one of the most qualified and knowledgeable individuals on YouTube, and although most of his content is geared towards weightlifting, he has several videos that I can think of off the top of my head which are relevant to cardio and cutting weight. I have personally seen great results by following much of Jeff’s advice over the past year or so. He has a few under 10 minute ab workout routines which are guaranteed to kick your ass.

I would also highly recommend getting a punching bag if you have somewhere to put it. That is one of the most efficient forms of cardio out there, and it is a lot of fun! Just be sure to get hand wraps and boxing gloves and learn how to properly wrap your hands and wrists.

And as others have said, if you don’t already have your diet in check I would absolutely make that a priority.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I just did this one and found it very tough - https://youtu.be/xLHA5g-82vY
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

onedayer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm I would recommend looking up Athlean-X on YouTube. Jeff Cavaliere is one of the most qualified and knowledgeable individuals on YouTube, and although most of his content is geared towards weightlifting, he has several videos that I can think of off the top of my head which are relevant to cardio and cutting weight. I have personally seen great results by following much of Jeff’s advice over the past year or so. He has a few under 10 minute ab workout routines which are guaranteed to kick your ass.
Thanks, I watched a couple videos which were very informative so I just subscribed to his channel
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

+1
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

Since turning 38 a few years back, I've been unable to stay healthy and it forced me to make drastic changes in my workouts. A mild hernia, shoulder impingement/snapping, and sore knees and ankles led me to the work of Bill DeSimone.

His youtube channells, Bill DeSimone and Optimal Exercise as well as his talks/books have helped me greatly. They focus on correctly performing exercises that are joint friendly so as to prevent injuries while working out.

As many here have said, the key to weight loss is diet more than anything. I looked great when I was doing high intensity workouts several times a week, but after injury and months of recovery time, the belly and man boobs returned.

For those of you with shoulder issues I highly recommend the book "Treat your Own Rotator Cuff" by Jim Johnson. It's currently available to download on archive dot org. It helped get me through my yearlong recovery from shoulder impingement. If you have any issues or want to prevent them, give it a read.

I learned the hard way that you can't really do much with a shoulder injury.
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

found a cheap jumprope (vinyl) at a thrift store and start HIT with it. Great workouts on line and can join online community for support. Also workouts add other exercises like squats, burpees, pushups, etc and can really get the heartrate pumping. Jumping rope is also great to build bones. website crossrope.com
tydas

Post by tydas »

I find total body workouts using dumb bells to help me, personally follow HASFIT on youtube. You do need to watch your diet and do strength and cardo training to stay fit.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

onedayer wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm I would recommend looking up Athlean-X on YouTube. Jeff Cavaliere is one of the most qualified and knowledgeable individuals on YouTube, and although most of his content is geared towards weightlifting, he has several videos that I can think of off the top of my head which are relevant to cardio and cutting weight. I have personally seen great results by following much of Jeff’s advice over the past year or so. He has a few under 10 minute ab workout routines which are guaranteed to kick your ass.

I would also highly recommend getting a punching bag if you have somewhere to put it. That is one of the most efficient forms of cardio out there, and it is a lot of fun! Just be sure to get hand wraps and boxing gloves and learn how to properly wrap your hands and wrists.

And as others have said, if you don’t already have your diet in check I would absolutely make that a priority.
To add to that a little more specifically to request in the OP (I think I'm more specifically addressing the request):

Look up Athlean-X Burst Training in YouTube for cardio-like workouts intended to help keep the metabolism running while supplementing gym gains without doing mindless cardio.
bstewie

Post by bstewie »

Diet is key, FWIW
Depends on the level of exercise. If I’m training hard I can take in 6k-7k calories a day due to literal hunger. If we’re talking changing from an artificial diet to a natural diet, definitely. All natural ingredients are good, in moderation.

OP: jump rope (sustained, 30m)