Suntrust Bank online banking has been down since Sunday.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Watty

Suntrust Bank online banking has been down since Sunday.

Post by Watty »

If you use Suntrust Bank for your online banking you should be aware that it has been down since at least Sunday afternoon. There is no estimate of when it will be back up.

I have a few bills to pay and I may need to send off some paper checks in the mail for things I would normally pay online. I tried using it Sunday afternoon and it was down then.

The message on the web site says;
Our teams are actively working to restore digital access for our clients. We were performing a normal system upgrade that experienced technical difficulty. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. For assistance, please visit your local branch or ATM, call us at 800 SunTrust (800-786-8787), or contact your relationship team.
https://www.wsav.com/news/local-news/ge ... 1453686589
atlantaCPA

Re: Suntrust Bank online banking has been down since Sunday.

Post by atlantaCPA »

I noticed this as well...bummer!
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

That has got to hurt. I'm sure it is very stressful in their various IT Operation groups. Heads are likely to roll after service is restored.
Dog_Papa

Post by Dog_Papa »

I stopped doing business w/Sun Trust for several different reasons! Apparently, my instincts were correct. Does not sound like there has been
any improvement since then.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

There is a SunTrust branch about 100 yards from the front door of my apartment building, and I am sometimes tempted to switch my business to them for the convenience of banking within walking distance. Then I hear stories like this one....
euroswiss

Post by euroswiss »

This story fits my experience with SunTrust as well. For some reason, they just don’t seem to have it together the way most other banks do.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

We recently opened an account with SunTrust solely to obtain a safe deposit box. We keep just over the no-fee minimum balance + annual deposit box fee in there. We do nothing with that account except schedule a Treasury bill from Treasury Direct to redeem there every once in a while and reinvest the following week, just to manufacture some activity so they never declare the account dormant.

I'm sorry to hear all the negativity about our new bank, but honestly we weren't planning to use it except for the above anyway. I did notice that SunTrust had the "not updating" icon next to it on Personal Capital the last few days, and when I went to the SunTrust website I noticed they offered a link to an optional temporary login screen, so it looked like they at least have some workaround in place for the time being.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

It was up and running as usual when I got up this morning at 5:30.

I've banked with them since 1999 when they bought Crestar and they're okay. And with Crestar since they bought United Virginia Bank way back when. I got my 7-digit checking account number in 1975. A few of the Suntrust employees have looked at the first digit - a 5 - and joked, "How old are you?"

Suntrust is big and has terrible CD rates. :confused Otoh, some of the other places I bank aren't much better - BB&T. Some are - Essex Bank. It depends. I don't keep all of my eggs in one basket, etc.
Topic Author
Watty

Post by Watty »

euroswiss wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 am This story fits my experience with SunTrust as well. For some reason, they just don’t seem to have it together the way most other banks do.
I have used them for over ten years and this is the first significant problem I have seen.

I only use them for my day to day banking needs to have a local office but I only keep about two months expenses with them.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Received an email from SunTrust about this today.
Dear (Ice-9):

I want to apologize personally for any inconvenience the disruption in our digital systems early last week caused you or your business.

I understand and regret your frustration, and our team stands ready to work with you on any concerns. I assure you that for every SunTrust teammate, including me, the goal and purpose of our work is to ensure your financial success through convenience, trust and confidence.

Issues during a scheduled system upgrade led to the access problem. Those issues have been addressed, but more importantly, SunTrust will continue to invest substantially to bring you the most reliable and valuable technology, combined with outstanding service.

Thank you for being a SunTrust client.

Sincerely,

Bill Rogers
Chairman & CEO