Talk to me about Le Creuset

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NextMil

Talk to me about Le Creuset

Post by NextMil »

Have the Dutch oven and it’s the best piece of cookware we own. Any other must haves?
Muri

Re: Talk to me about Le Creuset

Post by Muri »

That's all I have. Everything else is All Clad Stainless and some cast iron pans.
johan_s

Post by johan_s »

Muri wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:42 pm That's all I have. Everything else is All Clad Stainless and some cast iron pans.
Ditto.
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

I have a set of non stick and a set of stainless, and cast irons. Le Creuset outperforms everything. So starting to purchase more. Would like responses from people who have more than I do.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

We've somehow ended up with three dutch ovens, a large brassier, a skillet, and a gaggle of petite little dutch oven-like things. The skillet gets the most use, followed by the dutch ovens. The brassier is occasionally used for mussels or gratins. The small dutch ovens are used once a blue moon an odd single serving seafood dish, usually for a special occasion. If you don't mind the heft of it, I think the skillet is a nice thing to have.

I'm not convinced that Le Creuset will outperform the much cheaper knockoffs and I would love to see a comparison test, but they cook very well and are very easy to clean. Mon dieu they are heavy though.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

I have three dutch ovens, but two are close enough to each other in size that I really should not have purchased the third. The 13 quart round dutch oven is excellent if you are someone who likes to double recipes for chili or soup, although by the time it is full, I cannot lift it off the cooktop. The 7 quart is another useful size.

I also have the 13" cast iron deep skillet. It can go from cooktop to oven.

I bought these pieces years ago at the Le Creuset outlet shop and bought whatever color was offered at the deepest discount, so each piece is a different color. They used to sell imperfects that supposedly had slight imperfections in the paint or color, but nearly 20 years later, I still have not found the reason they were considered imperfect.

Happy cooking!
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

I also have a Dutch oven, which is a workhorse. I loved it so much, I bought a Le Creuset skillet, but I found I prefer my cast iron skillet or All Clad frying pan to the Le Creuset skillet, which is gathering dust in my cupboard.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

The Dutch oven is so good that my wife rarely wants to use it, like someone who doesn't want to open a new can of tennis balls just to have a lazy rally.. It makes our kitchen look a little nicer though.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

My wife likes having le creuset, as they appear in advertisements and are seen in fancy kitchens. We have a few pieces that get used once per year (Dutch oven). Some of them have never been used. Hoping the Joneses will come over soon for dinner.
Last edited by Cycle on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

I love the tea kettles! But they are not in my budget. I did splurge on their ramakins last year -- two sizes! They were on sale, and they are perfect for my peanut butter needs. (I mix peanut flour)

Oh how I covet a tea kettle though....
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have several of the Le Creuset dutch ovens because I believe in using the proper size and shape oven for whatever's being cooked.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

HUMMMM, being Bogleheads, would think you'd say yes i love my LODGE dutch, fry pan etc at half the cost. what other pieces do you have. :twisted:
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

I have lodge cast iron skillets of different sizes and they perform well, but they are not a Le Creuset Dutch oven. Two entirely different things and if lodge makes a Dutch oven I doubt that it has ceramic insides.

I am getting the braiser with the glass top. Seems to be another solid workhorse. Not seeing anything else that really sticks out as a must have from LC.
ArlinM

Post by ArlinM »

f35phixer wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:01 am HUMMMM, being Bogleheads, would think you'd say yes i love my LODGE dutch, fry pan etc at half the cost. what other pieces do you have. :twisted:
Being a boglehead, I tried two cheaper brands and they delaminated within a year. I use the 5 quart dutch oven weekly. Other pieces are sale items in mismatched colors.
The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

We have a Le Cruset Cocotte (sp?). My wife calls it her favorite piece of cookware and it’s her go to for certain dishes... sauces, risottos, etc.

She also has a Martha Stewart LC knockoff Dutch oven, that gets heavy duty use making soups and stews. We have lots of All Clad stainless that is the go to for most cooking, a lodge cast iron skillet that get uses for heavy duty frying, and some Calphalon non stick for eggs and things that tend to stick.

Different tools for different uses. Yes some of it is chasing brand names, but the higher end stuff does seem to last longer.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

We have a big Dutch oven, skillet and tea kettle.

The oven and skillet will certainly outlast us. All used daily.

The teapot rusted and is not quality IMHO.

I love my allclad pots too, they look brand new except for scratches.

I worked in kitchens growing up and it’s fun to recall what they use, certainly not le creuset or all clad.
folkher0

Post by folkher0 »

Le Creuset:

Really nice stuff but generally not worth the money IMHO. who needs an enameled tea kettle? You are just boiling water.

The Dutch ovens are nice and do perform well. But there’s a trade off for everything. If you chip the enamel you are SOL. I see no reason to get an enameled skillet.

I prefer unfinished cast iron. Same heating properties as enameled but far more durable and will last several lifetimes with minimal care. Way way way cheaper too.
LeviMama

Post by LeviMama »

We have a round Dutch oven that I use for all stews, risottos, and soups, anything requiring browning of vegetables first and deglazing with stock or wine to build flavor. Works beautifully. I also have a small tea kettle, think it’s called a Demi- version. I’m the only tea drinker in my family so it satisfies the need for hot water well, and looks beautiful sitting out for style on my gas stovetop otherwise (classic flame orange color). It hasn’t rusted but I am careful to empty it of any remaining water and allow it to air dry fully before sealing it back up.

Most recent purchase has been a multifunction or two in one pot set. I use the deeper pan for week night pastas or small batches of risotto or quick broth based soups, and the small shallow pan/cover for sautéing herbs or chopped bacon to add to other pans. The handles on these get very hot so I also have a set of silicone pot handle sleeves that help protect hands as you cook. We also keep bar keepers friend on hand to remove any bunt on residues. If you let the pot sit with a little water and generously sprinkle some in there and give a few minutes, it will clean up like NEW. I also wash mine in my dishwasher, not the kettle but all the enamel stuff. It is built to last, use it with gusto (please don’t save it for the Jones’ as pp said!).

Our other cookware is Lodge Cast Iron (large and small skillet) and Debuyer carbon steel pan for fish and crepes - we do not own anything Teflon or non stick anymore. Our massive pot set is the highest quality Calphalon 5-layer copper clad stainless steel set that isn’t all-clad (my dream!) but cooks amazingly well for the price. Great value and I think I saw Costco might have a newer version around these days a a scream of a deal.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I have a Le Creuset big set plus three one-off pans plus some bakeware. Family of five, lots of cooking, one boy is 10 and eats like a grown man already :moneybag .... We have moved five times in two years, twice overseas, so I feel I have a REALLY good feel for what I need/use and what I don't for kitchenware. We can and have gotten by with less for months at a time...

Use all the time (ie - I would replace if I lost it)

- Dutch oven. Actually two. Both Le Creuset. One has quite a few chips (still usable) and the other one a broken lid handle. Not sure Le Creuset is "the best". Heavy, heavy use, these don't stay pretty long, but they get the job done and the results are there
- Cast iron frying pan (this is Le Creuset, but doesn't have to be, nice finish on it, but looks like shit after 15 years of heavy use)
- Cast iron griddle - DH uses this. It's a Lodge, I think $30 years and years ago
- One big stoneware baking pan, can be used for cakes, meat, veggies, casseroles. Must have lid. We have a Staub. I'm happy with it.
- One-two smaller (9x9 or 8x8) stoneware baking pans - same as above. One with lid, bonus if same lid fits both. These are Le Creuset, I think I like Staub's quality and look better, if you are going to spend the money
- One large stainless stock pot - go restaurant grade for price/performance mix
- One small stainless sauce pot
- Two half sheet aluminum pans, get the restaurant ones. They are cheap. Use them for sheet pan nacho night! and lots of sheet pan dinners. I am considering buying some quarter-sheet pans too, so my kids can use them to custom make their pizzas, nachos, and sheet pan dinners.

What we don't use...
- Le Creuset cast iron enamel round casserole. Just not needed by us, I can do it all in either the frying pan or dutch oven
- Le Creuset smaller cast iron enamel pans, we have two that are in the 2 qt range that are neglected. Haven't gotten rid of them because they might be more manageable for my kids to use when they start really cooking
- Other bakeware, I got rid of most my other glass or ceramic bakeware

In the maybe category
- rolled steel frying pan - I like the lighter weight and quick heat up. It's convenient, but not necessary
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
sambb

Post by sambb »

tried some of these, but found the food tasted the same as using a cheaper brand. I guess it depends on what one is cooking
scotthew

Post by scotthew »

In the stainless All-clad camp as well. I have owned other brands (Calphalon), but none has been as indestructible as all-clad. Working on some pans that are well over a decade years, and still performing like new!
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I own 3 or 4 pieces. I will agree, the cheaper brands of enameled cast iron pieces always failed on me. That being said, I don't use my Le Creuset much. I use plain old cast iron a lot more frequently. I don't have to worry about the heat damaging it as they are practically indestructible. Also, my tri-ply stainless steel pans can go in the dishwasher. If I was going to do a long braise with a tomato based sauce, then I'd use my Le Creuset dutch oven. My lasagna pan and brasier I rarely use.

Since I don't use them much, they are in a high up inconvenient cabinet which keeps me from using them more. I received them as a gift. I wouldn't spend the money to buy them as I don't view them as a must have in the kitchen and I cook a lot. I tend to use a pressure cooker for braising these days.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I have the 5 quart LC French oven and the 3.5 quart LC braiser. Since I cook for only one I am more likely to use the braiser. I also have stainless (Demeyere) and nonstick cookware. No bare cast iron for me. I like to let things soak overnight.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

NextMil wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 pm Have the Dutch oven and it’s the best piece of cookware we own. Any other must haves?
The dutch oven and the braiser get the most use in our house though we do have the saucepan and sometimes use it for smaller amounts rather than dirty the larger dutch oven. Other than that, we own a set of All-Clad and a couple non-stick skillets and call it good.
thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund »

Beautiful blue dutch oven that does not get used as much now that the Instant Pot does most of the cooking!
"not all storms are in the forecast"
-buzz-

Post by -buzz- »

LeviMama wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 am Our other cookware is Lodge Cast Iron (large and small skillet) and Debuyer carbon steel pan for fish and crepes .
We have too much cookware, but we are a family of 5 with three teenagers. Keeping the crew fed is an ongoing challenge.

My favorites are a Debuyer carbon steel skillet and what Debuyer calls a "country pan". It is basically a carbon steel, flat bottom wok. Also use Lodge and inherited cast iron pans.

Our Dutch oven is a Tramontina enameled cast iron which is a LeCrueset knock off. It was rated the best value choice on America's Test Kitchen when we bought it. Had it about 10 years and still going strong. The interior is a little stained from use but otherwise no problems.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

I was gifted a Le Creuset Cassadou as a wedding gift. It is the best! Can be used as dutch oven, skillet, or anything in between. At over 3 quarts, it is big enough to cook meals for a family of over 4 people.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

We were gifted one. It gets a lot of use during winter with soups and chilis. :sharebeer
jdb

Post by jdb »

This topic piqued my interest since almost all our cooking done on cast iron so I had to go count the collection. We have accumulated six Le Creuset dutch ovens of different sizes up to the large 9 1/2 quart goose pot, three Lodge dutch ovens and four Lodge cast iron skillets of various sizes (don’t ask why so many since I am not even sure of answer). Also one small LC skillet which looks cute but too small to be useful. The Lodge dutch ovens cook just as good as the much more expensive LC but since we entertain a lot and I like to put the hot dutch oven on table for serving (on a wooden stand of course) the LC just looks a lot nicer and so get used far more often. The Lodge cast iron skillets get used almost everyday and are easier to clean than the enamel LC, recommend getting a small metallic mesh for cleaning the Lodge cast iron. Most of our dutch oven cooking done on outside charcoal big green egg. Good luck.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have all-clad which I love. I like the looks of Le Creuset but it is way too heavy.
amw123

Post by amw123 »

In the most recent issue of Cooks Illustrated, they have a section about testing dutch ovens (their fav is the Le Creuset.) https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipm ... perience_2
My grandmother just handed down to me a few Le Creuset cast iron skillets that she never really used. I'm looking forward to searing a few nice steaks on it in the coming days :)
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I have 2 Staub dutch ovens, All Clad pots and pans, cast iron skillets and a couple of no-name huge stock pots from a restaurant supply store.
spoco79

Post by spoco79 »

All of our cookware is LeCreuset. One of the first Boglehead recommended purchases we made. The quality to cost ratio is off the charts.
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

Hmmm, I own a 6-quart Lodge enameled Dutch oven, that's seen heavy use for years. As an honest question, what am I missing not owning a very similar thing made by Le Creuset?

The question of value in cookware is a very tricky thing. I own several All-Clad stainless pieces -- a 12" skillet, a saute pan, and a saucier. For each of those, the applications benefit a lot advanced metallurgy and temperature control. On the other hand, for a stockpot or tea kettle, something where you're just boiling water, I'm not sure I'd pay the premium.

That's me though. I would love to hear from others who've reached a different conclusion.
Charon

Post by Charon »

folkher0 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:04 am I prefer unfinished cast iron. Same heating properties as enameled but far more durable and will last several lifetimes with minimal care. Way way way cheaper too.
Depends on what you're cooking. I do a lot of tomato-based sauces in mine, and you absolutely need the non-reactive enameled surface there.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Buy the factory seconds from the outlet stores.
Looks and cooks same as the “firsts” for less than 1/2 cost.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

malabargold wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:25 pm Buy the factory seconds from the outlet stores.
Also, check out local discounters such as TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning and Home Goods. I've seen le Creuset there in the past. (I didn't buy any - but I did buy my lovely Staub dutch ovens there!)
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

malabargold wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:25 pm Buy the factory seconds from the outlet stores.
This is exactly what I did. Thanks.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

NextMil wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:50 am I have lodge cast iron skillets of different sizes and they perform well, but they are not a Le Creuset Dutch oven. Two entirely different things and if lodge makes a Dutch oven I doubt that it has ceramic insides.
Here's the Lodge Dutch Oven with enameled inside: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-Ena ... f=sr_1_2?s We have one and it works great - can't say how it compares to the similar pot from Le Creuset. Anyone have any experience?

We have a Le Creuset skillet with a black nonstick surface. The first one didn't hold up, so they replaced it. The replacement isn't lasting much better. We've been happier with Calphalon's Unison pans, which seem to hold up well to regular use.
jdb

Post by jdb »

anonenigma wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:05 pm
NextMil wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:50 am I have lodge cast iron skillets of different sizes and they perform well, but they are not a Le Creuset Dutch oven. Two entirely different things and if lodge makes a Dutch oven I doubt that it has ceramic insides.
Here's the Lodge Dutch Oven with enameled inside: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-Ena ... f=sr_1_2?s We have one and it works great - can't say how it compares to the similar pot from Le Creuset. Anyone have any experience?

We have a Le Creuset skillet with a black nonstick surface. The first one didn't hold up, so they replaced it. The replacement isn't lasting much better. We've been happier with Calphalon's Unison pans, which seem to hold up well to regular use.
Yes, I have that 6qt red Lodge enamel dutch oven and it is the most used of our dutch ovens, cooks exactly the same as our other 5 Le Creuset dutch ovens of different sizes. In an earlier response I said that we had 6 LC dutch ovens cause I forgot this one was a Lodge. So my suggestion is to go with the Lodge enamel dutch oven if find the right size, will save lots of money, plus made in USA. Only caveat is to be sure to use a metal top knob, the non metal one could melt in a high temp oven more than 450 degrees like big green egg, I substitute an LC metal handle in the Lodge, got it on Amazon, all can use the same size handles and use it on whichever enamel Dutch oven being used. A little aggravating that LC does not come with a metal knob despite high price. By the way, the metal knob gets very hot and can blister fingers so be sure to wear oven mitts. How do I know that? Good luck.
Last edited by jdb on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
jdb

Post by jdb »

deleted. Duplicate post.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

ArlinM wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:04 am Being a boglehead, I tried two cheaper brands and they delaminated within a year. I use the 5 quart dutch oven weekly. Other pieces are sale items in mismatched colors.
Interesting. We have had several knockoffs for 10+ years, and other than a slight chip in one (due to an impact), the finishes are still perfect on all of them. Most are the Mario Batali brand, made by Wilton, but we have a few Member's Mark (Sam's Club) as well. The MM dutch oven gets used at least 2-3 times per week.
cantos

Post by cantos »

Lodge makes a perfectly fine ceramic dutch oven. We have one. The lid holder was coming loose so they sent us a whole new one many years after the fact. Love Lodge. Also have their iron skillets. Use both a ton.
scone

Post by scone »

I like this brand because I can turn the heat off before cooking is finished, and the residual heat in the cookware completes the job. This saves a little money, and it’s nice in summer as the kitchen doesn’t get as hot.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

cantos wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 am
Lodge makes a perfectly fine ceramic dutch oven. We have one. The lid holder was coming loose so they sent us a whole new one many years after the fact. Love Lodge. Also have their iron skillets. Use both a ton.
Cool. I didn't realize that. Glad its working for you. According to the interwebs it performs just as well at the LC at a fraction of the price. Only thing it got dinged on was chipping.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

scone wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:27 am I like this brand because I can turn the heat off before cooking is finished, and the residual heat in the cookware completes the job. This saves a little money, and it’s nice in summer as the kitchen doesn’t get as hot.
False economy--there is no free lunch. It takes longer to heat cast iron, so the residual heat you utilize at the end of the cook was already put in at the beginning, compared to cookware with less thermal mass.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

According to my most trusted source of reviews Cooks Country/America's Test Kitchen, Le Creuset is the best but just about any modern dutch oven you can buy will cook great food. Most of the differences are small things from material thickness, handle design, shape of the pot, etc and may not affect you for most things you use them for.

https://www.cookscountry.com/videos/3661-dutch-ovens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfNwXXESiU
Topic Author
NextMil

Post by NextMil »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 am
scone wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:27 am I like this brand because I can turn the heat off before cooking is finished, and the residual heat in the cookware completes the job. This saves a little money, and it’s nice in summer as the kitchen doesn’t get as hot.
False economy--there is no free lunch. It takes longer to heat cast iron, so the residual heat you utilize at the end of the cook was already put in at the beginning, compared to cookware with less thermal mass.
maybe, but wouldn't heat retention on cast iron be superior to regular cookware? Would be interesting to see if anyone has measured energy efficiency.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

NextMil wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 am maybe, but wouldn't heat retention on cast iron be superior to regular cookware? Would be interesting to see if anyone has measured energy efficiency.
Heat retention IS better--there's no room for debate on that. But it's better because it has a higher thermal mass. That means it takes a LOT more energy input to get up to a given temperature. That stored energy is then released over a longer period, vs. a thinner pan with less thermal mass.
Chip

Post by Chip »

My favorite joke about Le Creuset:

By the time you've saved enough to afford it you're too old to lift it.

We have the Tramontina knock-off 6 qt dutch oven. It gets a lot of use in winter. Inside is stained but functional.