engine check light on Toyota Sienna

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atlanta_dad

engine check light on Toyota Sienna

Post by atlanta_dad »

My 2006 Toyota Sienna xle had a check engine light recently. My mechanic checked and recommended to change two of the front air flow ratio sensors and maf sensor for about $950 including parts(he said he uses toyota parrs) and labor. He is ok to do the labor for about $350-$400 if I get the parts. But he insisted I should not get the universal parts that take a lot of time for him to install. When I called Toyota service they say there is only one a/f sensor in that model for $230. And same price for the maf sensor.

So, does it have one or two a/f ratio sensors? Is the mechanic charge reasonable? Do I have to go for Toyota parts or aftermarket is ok? What is a reasonable aftermarket brand for these for price and reliability?

Thanks so much in advance!!
SimonJester

Re: engine check light on Toyota Sienna

Post by SimonJester »

Hmm Do you know what codes the check engine was throwing?

I have a 2004 Sienna, there is only 1 Mass Air Flow Sensor and often times you can clean it. It takes about 10-15 minutes to remove clean and replace.

So unless you mechanic is changing some other sensor I think he is high on both the labor and part.

I will say on another Toyota vehicle using a non OEM MAF sensor did not produce happy results, so I would recommend OEM on this part.

I would goto an Autozone and have them pull your codes and see what it was tripping the Check Engine light. This might give you a better idea if
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

SimonJester wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:52 pm Hmm Do you know what codes the check engine was throwing?

I have a 2004 Sienna, there is only 1 Mass Air Flow Sensor and often times you can clean it. It takes about 10-15 minutes to remove clean and replace.

So unless you mechanic is changing some other sensor I think he is high on both the labor and part.

I will say on another Toyota vehicle using a non OEM MAF sensor did not produce happy results, so I would recommend OEM on this part.

I would goto an Autozone and have them pull your codes and see what it was tripping the Check Engine light. This might give you a better idea if
+1 on this, get the code or codes before throwing any parts at the problem. If you don't have to test the vehicle for emissions, this sensor

is going to cause the vehicle to burn a little more fuel and is not a "do it now" type of problem. You can do a little research before committing

to a repair.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
david99

Post by david99 »

The check engine light on my Corolla went on a few years ago. So I went to Autozone and they said that it was the Mass Air Flow sensor. So I bought a spray for $10 to clean it. I saw two YouTube videos on how to clean it and in twenty minutes I was done. Autozone wanted to sell me a new MAS but I told them that I just wanted the spray. It is very easy to clean-- there is no need for a new one. We are supposed to clean the MAS on a regular basis. Autozone will examine the Check engine light code for free.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Definitely check the codes before doing anything. Code scanners are $10-15, and for a little more you can get one that can read proprietary and ABS codes too, which may be useful in the future. Or go to auto parts store and they will often read them for free.

Clean MAF sensors before replacing.

You may get much more precise advise on a Toyota forum than here. Not sure about how good their investing strategies will be though.
NoHeat

Post by NoHeat »

Owners of older cars should buy an OBD II code checker for less than $20 (search Amazon). Use it to read the codes (it's easy, just plug it into the obvious socket under your steering wheel, and then turn the key to the accessory position) then google the code to see what it means. Then decide for yourself whether to repair.

It's a great idea to find a model-specific forum, and ask for advice there. In your case:
https://www.siennachat.com/forum/66-pro ... air-gen-2/
or
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/274- ... 2004-2010/

If you decide that the code isn't worth bothering, you can just reset the check-engine light using your OBD II checker, and then use it again the next time the light comes on to see if it's the same problem. This is what I do for my elderly father's Mercury, which has an insignificant code related to evaporative emissions.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Like others have mentioned go to auto parts store, they will check the code for free.

Siennachat is a good forum that has a wealth of information.

My moms van had this issue, we tried a few things but never got it figured out. The van had 180,000 miles on it so she let it go, sold it to CarMax for $2,000.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

There might be some confused terminology. My 2006 Subaru has one mass flow air sensor and two or three Oxygen sensors. Either can cause codes. The mass air flow sensor is easy to get to and typically gets dirty and needs cleaning. It recently cost me $90 to get that service. The oxygen sensors are part of the emissions system and much more difficult to get to. One failed and it cost me $400 to replace. Based on the pricing you were quoted it sounds more like the oxygen sensors than the air flow. Definitely get the codes at Autozone or elsewhere.
Bronco Billy

Post by Bronco Billy »

The code readers are Ok...but dont believe all they tell you. My wife had her service light error light checked on her toyota highlander. They were trying to sell her a part that has to do with the gas tank emissions for about $400. I googled the codes she brought home. She had the car serviced at Walmart and when they checked the air filter they pulled off a hose.