Is there a current car without a console between the front seats?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CABob

Re: Is there a current car without a console between the front seats?

Post by CABob »

dm200 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:39 pm For those "romantically" minded - a guy can no longer drive with the gal right next to him. One "advantage" of the front bench seat for some.
And I guess there is no more need for a "neckkers knob" on the steering wheel. :twisted:
Bob
strafe

Post by strafe »

Chrysler minivan - center console is removable
dm200

Post by dm200 »

CABob wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:40 pm
dm200 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:39 pm For those "romantically" minded - a guy can no longer drive with the gal right next to him. One "advantage" of the front bench seat for some.
And I guess there is no more need for a "neckkers knob" on the steering wheel. :twisted:
I was a "late bloomer" - but an early "dreamer" ;)
Jill Peters

Post by Jill Peters »

I have been visiting dealers with the title to my 2006 CRV and my checkbook. I would buy a car on the spot if they did not have those horrible center consoles. No room to stretch and no room to safely put a purse. All of us women who drove minivans need/want a car that gives us a space between the two front seats. It amazes me that car designers think we all want exactly the same thing - a big, uncomfortable center console, too much electronics, the feeling of a cockpit. Remember that more women own cars than men!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

There are lots of current cars with wide-open storage under the console for a purse. If you need to sit with your knees splayed out to the side obviously that doesn't help, but it does address the storage concern.
Epont

Post by Epont »

2003 to 2010 mercury grand marquis. Great car
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

My 2014 Ram 1500 pickup had a center console but it totally folded back out of the way so three people could fit in the front seat (as well as three in the back seat with a Quad cab). I don't recall the seat belt configuration.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

lazydavid wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 am There are lots of current cars with wide-open storage under the console for a purse. If you need to sit with your knees splayed out to the side obviously that doesn't help, but it does address the storage concern.
I can easily put a purse behind the console on the floor in front of the back seats of just about every car that I have driven. I use my right arm to simply reach back there.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I'd suggest the Honda Fit too. It's ergonomic and easy to get myself and cargo in/out of. The hatch has handy hooks to secure cargo.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Hyundai is coming out with their Ioniq 5 EV in the fall, and one of the big selling points (aside from the typical EV stuff) is the ability to slide the center console far enough back that you could scoot from the driver to the passenger side or vice versa. I imagine it would be helpful for the OP as well.
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

This thread reminds me of my late grandmother. She bought a new car and demanded the radio be mono instead of stereo because she could only hear in one hear.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

2011-2017 Honda Odyssey allows you to remove the front center console by simply pulling up a tab in the front and lifting the console out.

https://youtu.be/nzbk4AP4lmo
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Our new Honda CR-V has a huge empty spot for a purse on the floor between the two front seats. It is so unusual that my spouse thought that something was missing from the car. There is no gear shift and no gear lever. Those have been replaced by relatively small buttons.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

livesoft wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:57 pm Our new Honda CR-V has a huge empty spot for a purse on the floor between the two front seats.
The lack of this feature was a dealbreaker for my wife for several vehicles when we bought our Odyssey. Even now, she still frowns on me using the pull out drawer with extra cup holder (which blocks the open spot for the purse). I have learned to use the cup holder in the middle row instead so the marriage can continue for another 30 years :wink:
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Oops. Just realized this was old. Wonder what mouses end up driving?
Jill Peters

Post by Jill Peters »

No, that's the depressing answer. All car makers essentially make the same car - with a huge center console that is often hollow inside. And you can't take it out because they are loaded with electronics. I took it out of my old CRV but the shifter was on the steering column where it belongs so I was able to remove the console. Bought it used and drove it 14 years. Also it had all kinds of compartments - with covers so things would not fall out. Just traded it in on another used CRV and I HATE IT. It's got a deep well between the front seats which is useless - and still not big enough for a purse. And forget about a drive through meal. I really hate these cockpit like cars. Reminds me that they are designed by men for men. The first car that comes out without a center console I will pay cash for and buy the first one! And this is NOT just an issue for women who have no place safe for a purse.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

My guess is the Chevy Suburban would keep 3 in front (seating for 9), probably most of this configuration will go to SLC.