Any Boglehead powerlifters?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
corn18

Any Boglehead powerlifters?

Post by corn18 »

Love to find out if there are any powerlifters. I used to compete but had a heart issue a few years back and now I'm just starting back into it. Always wanted to try Olympic lifts but my basement workout room is too small. Would love to chat PR's and training methods. Xfit is welcome as well as long as we don't have any scuffles about which one is better.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Njm8845

Re: Any Boglehead powerlifters?

Post by Njm8845 »

I'm game. PM me if interested.
jackietreehorn

Post by jackietreehorn »

I’ll get my boots out for this one, haha.
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

Lol when I saw the thread title, thought it was about powerlifter heavy index fund investors or something rather than literally powerlifting :D
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Planet Fitness for me, I stay in old folk section away from mirrors
TexasCPA

Post by TexasCPA »

I’ve been lifting weights for about eight years, but not with any structure or consistency until pretty recently. I’ve been following the Madcow 5x5 routine for intermediate lifters and I’ve seen some pretty good progress.

Current stats:

5’8
170lb
Overhead press: 135x5
Bench press: 260x5
Squat: 270x5
Deadlift: 320x5

My bench is out of proportion compared to the rest of my lifts because I spent years not having a clue what I was doing so I mainly did bench and bicep curls. Right now I’m focusing on trying to improve my other lifts to compensate for the imbalance
Last edited by TexasCPA on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Former competitive powerlifter. I am also a USA weightlifting certified olympic lifting coach, but I never did it competitively. I can still deadlift nearly 3x bodyweight, but injuries (and age) have made it contraindicated for me to squat or press any significant weight and my goals now lean far towards overall health.
timmy

Post by timmy »

I incorporate deadlifts. I am working up to 2x my body weight for 1 rep.

I was training it 2x per week but dropped to 1x (training for a triathlon now so needed to cut back). I was using a 5x5 progression. 1x per week I would lift max. The other day would be much lower weights.

I'm scared that my aging shoulder, elbows, and knees can't handle bench presses and squats.
timmy

Post by timmy »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:31 pm Former competitive powerlifter. I am also a USA weightlifting certified olympic lifting coach, but I never did it competitively. I can still deadlift nearly 3x bodyweight, but injuries (and age) have made it contraindicated for me to squat or press any significant weight and my goals now lean far towards overall health.
3x ... DANG! :sharebeer
HeftyLefty

Post by HeftyLefty »

I've been using the nSuns 4-day routine the past few months with great results (as a intermediate-low lifter): https://www.reddit.com/r/nSuns/comments ... s_routine/

It's about time to switch to a new program and am looking for one with a bodybuilding bent...any recommendations? (have tried 5x5 in the past and didn't have great results)
Last edited by HeftyLefty on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I just do the Reddit Bodyweight fitness Recommended Routine 3x per week and take a walk at lunch every day. I have to say though as a woman, getting to the point where I can do a single pull-up feels like I am power lifting. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitn ... ed_routine
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I don't call myself a powerlifter as I don't train singles, but I follow Mark Rippetoe/Starting Strength pretty closely.

I train for about 60-90 minutes a day during lunch on weekdays in a city gym (I work at a desk) and do 5x5 with ascending weight, one major lift per day.

33 year old, 6'3" 260lb, male
Press 187x5
Bench press 285x5
Squat 355x5
Deadlift 395x5

Wish I had more time to train.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

timmy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:52 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:31 pm Former competitive powerlifter. I am also a USA weightlifting certified olympic lifting coach, but I never did it competitively. I can still deadlift nearly 3x bodyweight, but injuries (and age) have made it contraindicated for me to squat or press any significant weight and my goals now lean far towards overall health.
3x ... DANG! :sharebeer
Very careful about biceps tendons, as I have torn one, so I rarely pull that heavy (requiring an alternating grip - I don't use straps), but I did pull 525X4 fairly easily about a month ago at ~200lbs. If I didn't have a HDHP, I'd probably give 600 a good ride.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

62yo, 5'10", 194lb. Only do free weights, no machines.

Bench press 200x1
Standing press 135x1
Squat 315x1
Deadlift 385x1

Long arms help my deadlift and hurt my presses.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
megabad

Post by megabad »

Turbo29 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:46 pm 62yo, 5'10", 194lb. Only do free weights, no machines.

Bench press 200x1
Standing press 135x1
Squat 315x1
Deadlift 385x1

All of a sudden I feel old and flabby when looking in the mirror. Jeez. Very impressive. My knees starting cracking (loudly) during squats about 10 years ago and I am not 62 yet. My philosophy is as long as I can carry anyone in my immediate family to safety if needed than I am fine. Fortunately, I don't have too many folks at 400lbs in my family. There is actually a dog in the family that outweighs most of them. Needless to say, I am closer to the garage gym person than the "powerlifter" person.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Planet fitness. I am not a power lifter but I am getting ripped with almost a 6 pack at 42. I do higher reps around 10 to 15 on bench press and other free weights. More of the definition typre rather than bulk.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Very cool replies! I started from scratch in 2013 and found the 5x5 method pretty quickly. I switched to 5/3/1 as 5x5 was stalling. Always used 5/3/1 or a variant of it while competing.

I can say that my over aggressive reach for big numbers early on set me back about a year. Bad form blew up my shoulder and killed my hips. Took about two years to find MY form and then things went really well. No further injuries.

I say my form because my form didn't exactly match the books. I have serious shoulder mobility issues that I just ignored and tried to power through it, so to speak. The competitive side of me just wouldn't accept that I needed to stop competing and switch to a swiss bar for bench to minimize shoulder impingement. So now I don't compete because I use the swiss bar, but I don't have non-stop shoulder pain either.

Same for squats. All my PR's came with a sumo squat, but holy heck fire, did that kill my hips. Did a lot of work with roller thingies and lacrosse balls but always in pain. And I could never get my shoulders to cooperate with the low bar position. So I got a safety squat bar and all is good. No more shoulder pain. And I went to a slightly narrower stance and my hips are now happy. Can't get the big numbers anymore, though.

Deadlift has always been good to me. Interesting that I use sumo for DL and don't have any issues. DL is my favorite. No BS touch and pause like bench or hitting parallel like squats. Just pull the damn weight off the deck and lock it out.

Although I'm way off my PR's (had a heart attack 3 years ago), this was me at my peak

6', 195, 48yo at the time

OHP: 150
Bench: 250
Squat: 370
DL: 485

My goal was to hit 5/4/3/2 plates for DL, squat, bench and OHP, but that dang heart attack got in the way.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

Never power lifted, but have been strength training pretty consistently since high school. 64 years old, lifting twice a week now, trying to keep what I got at this age.

3 lift portfolio here:

Push: Some sort of press (bench, incline bench, mil press) or dips

Pull: Some sort of chinning movement on a chin bar or lat machine

Lower body: Barbell squat or some variation of deadlift.

Free weights, big compound movements, stick to the program, keep doing it. My basement equipment is an olympic bar, a trap bar, lots of plates, a lat machine, a power rack.

Never realized it until a few years ago, but I've been boglehead lifting all my adult life.
Retired: VBIAX 100%
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

c.coyle wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Never realized it until a few years ago, but I've been boglehead lifting all my adult life.
I like that analogy. I went through phases of doing a lot of secondary lifts, but never found they helped the 3 primary lifts. The big 3 (push, pull, squat) cover all the muscle groups. I did like adding pull ups, though. And I found that serious cardio diminished my lifts. I spent some time going for a 20 min 5k and my lifts went down. Also tried out road racing (bike) and my lifts went down. Now it's more of a balance since I'm not hitting PR's anymore.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

I have used weights since the early 1980s, as part of my routine of hiking and walking. In my younger days, I used to run to feel good and for weight control, but now I feel good without running.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
jackietreehorn

Post by jackietreehorn »

c.coyle wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm Never power lifted, but have been strength training pretty consistently since high school. 64 years old, lifting twice a week now, trying to keep what I got at this age.

3 lift portfolio here:

Push: Some sort of press (bench, incline bench, mil press) or dips

Pull: Some sort of chinning movement on a chin bar or lat machine

Lower body: Barbell squat or some variation of deadlift.

Free weights, big compound movements, stick to the program, keep doing it. My basement equipment is an olympic bar, a trap bar, lots of plates, a lat machine, a power rack.

Done to momentary muscle failure, with 48-60 seconds of time under tension, along with minimal rest between exercises and keeping a tight diet...this is all one would need to keep in optimum shape.
timmy

Post by timmy »

Turbo29 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:46 pm 62yo, 5'10", 194lb. Only do free weights, no machines.

Bench press 200x1
Standing press 135x1
Squat 315x1
Deadlift 385x1

Bravo!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (power lifting).

For a different perspective (no equipment required), feel free to bump: Pull-ups and Push-ups
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've competed and I still do the powerlifts, but I don't plan to compete again. I enjoy it but you have to be really dedicated to win, and I'm showing some age.
Tal-

Post by Tal- »

I really dig Crossfit and do that 4-5 times a week, and have done that for 2-3 years.

PBF: 17% (a bit higher than I like, but still in a healthy range)
Press: 115
Squat: 245
Clean: 205
Dead: 385
Clean and Jerk: 185

I was just better than the 50th percentile for all men participants in the 2018 Open, which makes me something like the 158,232 fittest man on earth!!! :)
Debt is to personal finance as a knife is to cooking.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

Former HS competitive power lifter and d1 collegiate football player.

Powerlifting competition lift PR’s (1 rep max):
Squat: 600
Bench: 405
Deadlift: 615
Weight class was 198/220 depending on competition. Competed in Texas state finals in the 198 and placed 5th but would have been 2nd in the 220.

5 rep max squat was something like 495 in college as my focus was more on speed and power than total weight.
225 bench rep max was 16

I hated cleans and overhead lifts (these were actually banned in HS and college workouts unless seated and controlled lifts only).

Happy to recall methods if interested.
Last edited by BUBear29 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

Not a power lifter myself but the gym I went to were started by power lifters. One good friend that competed and I think was ranked nationally, 120-130 lbs, squat about 4 times his body weight, can’t remember his deadlift numbers but were pretty high, but was bad at bench press.
Saw one guy at the gym once who was squating 45 lb plates at each end that looked like it filled the entire bar. He could not have been more than 150 lbs, had 3 or 4 spotters. They said he was at the top of his class nationally. Pretty impressive seeing someone of moderate size do it.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

I do the slow lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, press), but really enjoy the fast ones (snatch, clean & jerk). I also enjoy trail runs, sprints, and CrossFit-style metcons. Mid 50's.
Last edited by CFM300 on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
HRPennypacker

Post by HRPennypacker »

Not a powerlifter, just someone who likes lifting.

Recent 5-rep maxes, all raw/beltless at a height of 5'10" and a bodyweight of under 175 lbs:
Squat: 310x5
DL: 380x5
OHP: 130x5

I'm 37. Madcow 5x5 Intermediate is probably my favorite program, and the one that I got the most progress on. I frequent two forums: Starting Strength, and Barbell Medicine. I recommend both.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Not a power lifter, but training with weights for around 50 years. For some of those years, it sure was fashionable for all of us to grunt and yell while lifting. Fortunately, either that behavior has receded, or I’m going to a different kind of gym. :)

I currently training 2-3 times a week, with each session lasting about 90 minutes and consisting of about 25 routines. At 65, I feel as buff as I when was as a collegiate rower at age 19. I have purposely stopped increasing my weight load as I don’t want this old body to pop a tendon or tear a disc.
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

jackietreehorn wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:08 pm Done to momentary muscle failure, with 48-60 seconds of time under tension, along with minimal rest between exercises and keeping a tight diet...this is all one would need to keep in optimum shape.
My diet ain't tight. Also, at 64, I give myself more time between sets and sessions than when I was 34.

I am convinced that keeping strong from the core down will to some extent preserve my balance and protect me from falls. You can't stop the natural loss of muscle mass and bone density, but you can slow it down.
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

HeftyLefty wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pmIt's about time to switch to a new program and am looking for one with a bodybuilding bent...any recommendations? (have tried 5x5 in the past and didn't have great results)
How much time do you have to train? Four-day split with the main slow lifts as a base and adding on accessory work for hypertrophy in the 8-12 rep range will probably do it.

I don't have a program specifically but would highly recommend Rippetoe's Practical Programming book if you're interested in how to design your own program.
Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy »

Not sure I qualify as a powerlifter but I've been lifting for the past 8 years or so.

Bench: 305
Squat: 405
Deadlift: 475

Height - 5' 10"
Weight - 180.6lb

Mostly do 4x12's .... I'll mix it up occasionally though with 5x5
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Not a powerlifter but have enjoyed training for the past 20+ years! Weight lifting, cardio, diet is truly the fountain of youth. The best medicine and life insurance policy available IMO.

My best lifts aren't all that impressive, 405 squat, 455 dead, 355 bench at 5'8" 195 but I would easily be 240+lbs bodyweight and diabetic without the gym.
I go 4-5 days/week, sometimes less, and simply focus on getting 2-3 "movements" per muscle group/week, pyramid up to get 8-10 quality reps. No yelling, no ego or jerking movements. And 2 or 3 cardio sessions of 20 min.

I enjoy following the science and experts including:
Lyle McDonald
Brad Schoenfeld
Jeff Nippard
Mike Israetel
Alberto Nunez and 3dmj
Omar Isuf
They can all be followed on social media or youtube

And currently I lift much lighter, more diet and cardio focused for sustainable health and increased ability to keep up with the kids!
Just posting for anyone even mildly interested.

You don't have to be a "muscle head" or fitness junkie to get started or to get into better shape. Just moving more and eating less is a great combo. Although easier said than done!

Any/all PMs welcome. Best wishes and Happy 4th to all
Light weight baby!
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

Some very impressive numbers in here, hats off to everyone. Watching professionals now, it is just mind blowing how much weight these guys are moving, the sport seems like it has really advanced quickly in the past 10 years.

I wouldn't call myself a powerlifter since outside of a couple college bench press competitions way back when I don't compete. But I would say my lifting style and philosophy, particularly in the last 5 years follows powerlifting, with focus on the big 3. I like to listen to Ripptoe's guidance, he's a wealth of knowledge.

5'8, 180 and 38 now and started lifting regularly around 15. Back then for football, but then it became a hobby. As they say wisdom is wasted on the old - wish I had learned a few things when I was younger that would've helped now such as mobility work and proper squat form and not so much focus on the bench. Shoulder and hip mobility now is what hinders me a bit, as well as a partially torn labrum on the right and recently rotator cuff soreness on the left. As well as keeping elbow tendonitis at bay. I think the main thing lifting past 30 is to listen to the body and take a conservative approach with fighting through pain vs. shutting it down and coming back to lift another day. And I really only do it for myself, the personal satisfaction and incremental progress, as well as the stress relief and mental+physical health aspect.

With the Big 3 where I'm at currently:
Bench - 290 (305 PR 2 years ago) slowly working back from the labrum tear
Squat - 325
Deadlift - 425 x 3

OHP I used to do 155x5 however had to stop due to shoulder issues.
Pendlay rows I do 235x5 - these are really underrated for mid-uppper back growth and I find them a safer alternative to power cleans

Not that I ever trained focusing on physique, but I would say qualitatively at 38 I am much thicker in the back, legs and core now than I was in my 20s thanks to more focus on heavy squats and deadlifts in the last 5 years instead of purely upper body. Like I said, wish I had more wisdom in my youth...
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

corn18 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 pm

I like that analogy. I went through phases of doing a lot of secondary lifts, but never found they helped the 3 primary lifts. The big 3 (push, pull, squat) cover all the muscle groups. I did like adding pull ups, though. And I found that serious cardio diminished my lifts. I spent some time going for a 20 min 5k and my lifts went down. Also tried out road racing (bike) and my lifts went down. Now it's more of a balance since I'm not hitting PR's anymore.
This sounds like me...I now stick to mainly Bench, Standing Press, Squat, Deadlift, and Pull ups for strength. Every once in awhile I will add some secondary lifts. I have started adding rowing (concept 2) as I feel consistent cardio is very important to health. My strength numbers took a hit when I started doing more cardio but now that I am 38 my main goal isn't strength anymore...I just want to be healthy, feel good, and not get injured.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

TexasCPA wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:28 pm I’ve been lifting weights for about eight years, but not with any structure or consistency until pretty recently. I’ve been following the Madcow 5x5 routine for intermediate lifters and I’ve seen some pretty good progress.

Current stats:

5’8
170lb

My bench is out of proportion compared to the rest of my lifts because I spent years not having a clue what I was doing so I mainly did bench and bicep curls. Right now I’m focusing on trying to improve my other lifts to compensate for the imbalance
How old are you? That's a serious 1RM for bench at 170. I'm the same size and my 1RM is about 230 on a good day
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

HeftyLefty wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm I've been using the nSuns 4-day routine the past few months with great results (as a intermediate-low lifter): https://www.reddit.com/r/nSuns/comments ... s_routine/

It's about time to switch to a new program and am looking for one with a bodybuilding bent...any recommendations? (have tried 5x5 in the past and didn't have great results)
Check out any of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 programs (maybe start with the original). If you've done 5x5 you should have a good idea of what your 1RM is for the 4 main lifts.

If you have any experience at all, at first it will feel like you still have plenty left in the tank at the end of each strength workout. And Wendler is adamant that you have to follow the program - no substituting exercises, changing set/reps, etc. But trust me after a couple of cycles you will be stronger in every lift, I've seen some pretty amazing results
TexasCPA

Post by TexasCPA »

fishmonger wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 am
TexasCPA wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:28 pm I’ve been lifting weights for about eight years, but not with any structure or consistency until pretty recently. I’ve been following the Madcow 5x5 routine for intermediate lifters and I’ve seen some pretty good progress.

Current stats:

5’8
170lb

How old are you? That's a serious 1RM for bench at 170. I'm the same size and my 1RM is about 230 on a good day
28. My arms are pretty short too. I’ve been stuck on 260lb for 5 reps for a while
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

TexasCPA wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:02 am
fishmonger wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:44 am

Current stats:

5’8
170lb

28. My arms are pretty short too. I’ve been stuck on 260lb for 5 reps for a while
Still pretty impressive, getting close to Elite territory for bench (top 5% of all people who lift regularly). Nice work!
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

Bench press 200x1
Standing press 135x1
Squat 315x1
Deadlift 385x1

Respect!
MJW

Post by MJW »

simplesimon wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm I don't call myself a powerlifter as I don't train singles, but I follow Mark Rippetoe/Starting Strength pretty closely.
The Three-Fund Portfolio of lifting. :P

Whenever I joined the BH forum I was struck by the parallels in philosophy and the sometimes militant adherence/advocacy between the 3-fund approach here and the Rippetoe/SS methodology I saw on popular lifting forums in the 00's. I imagine it's the same within many common interest groups, but I was immediately reminded of my lifting days.
chevca

Post by chevca »

cusetownusa wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:35 am
corn18 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 pm

This sounds like me...I now stick to mainly Bench, Standing Press, Squat, Deadlift, and Pull ups for strength. Every once in awhile I will add some secondary lifts. I have started adding rowing (concept 2) as I feel consistent cardio is very important to health. My strength numbers took a hit when I started doing more cardio but now that I am 38 my main goal isn't strength anymore...I just want to be healthy, feel good, and not get injured.
Another one in this group here. Back 25 years ago, I lifted heavy and often. Started lifting that way for sports and stuck with it as a hobby and for health. (Got up to 375 bench/500 squat @ about 200 lbs. body weight)

Now, less is more in my mid-40s. I stick with the basic lifts at moderate weights (if not light), have a Concept 2 for rowing, and go for walk/jog intervals with the dog. Just want to stay in decent shaped now. If/when I've tried to push it like I am still young, I either get worn down after a few weeks or feel injury is near in short time. It's heck to get old, huh?
c.coyle

Post by c.coyle »

chevca wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:41 am . . . It's heck to get old, huh?
It beats the alternative.
chevca

Post by chevca »

Very true!
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

MJW wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:27 am
simplesimon wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm I don't call myself a powerlifter as I don't train singles, but I follow Mark Rippetoe/Starting Strength pretty closely.
The Three-Fund Portfolio of lifting. :P

Whenever I joined the BH forum I was struck by the parallels in philosophy and the sometimes militant adherence/advocacy between the 3-fund approach here and the Rippetoe/SS methodology I saw on popular lifting forums in the 00's. I imagine it's the same within many common interest groups, but I was immediately reminded of my lifting days.
My thoughts exactly. No lifts utilize as much muscle mass and replicate natural human movement to help make an individual more capable at handling daily life.
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I've got a Rogue squat rack in the garage and have been following a 5x5 routine for years, not to compete but because I'm too lazy to drive to the gym, pay membership fees, and deal with "gym people".

Post by 2015 »

Never. Because with all things in life based on a system (the body is based on a biological system), more can go wrong than right. As Charlie Munger would say, "invert, always invert." In this regard, all I want to know is the date of my major injury so I don't show up that day.
Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 »

2015 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:57 pm Never. Because with all things in life based on a system (the body is based on a biological system), more can go wrong than right. As Charlie Munger would say, "invert, always invert." In this regard, all I want to know is the date of my major injury so I don't show up that day.
Huh? :?: :?:

Post by 2015 »

corn18 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:03 pm
2015 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:57 pm Never. Because with all things in life based on a system (the body is based on a biological system), more can go wrong than right. As Charlie Munger would say, "invert, always invert." In this regard, all I want to know is the date of my major injury so I don't show up that day.
Huh? :?: :?:
It's not really helpful if I answer this because power comes from learning how we are out own worst enemies when it comes to decision making. What is helpful is to learn on your own the power of inversion in thinking, of subtractive versus additive modeling in goal setting. This helps in all areas of life, including investing.

In goal setting, always ask, "and then what?" You're a powerlifter and you throw your back out. Or, you're an eighty year old who engaged in powerlifting when younger. What do you think the likely impact your prior actions will have had on your biology?

Munger on inversion:
“The way complex adaptive systems work and the way mental constructs work is that problems frequently get easier, I’d even say usually are easier to solve, if you turn them around in reverse. In other words, if you want to help India, the question you should ask is not “how can I help India,” it’s “what is doing the worst damage in India? What will automatically do the worst damage and how do I avoid it?” “Figure out what you don’t want and avoid it and you’ll get what you do want”.