AAA vs. GEICO for Roadside Assistance--Help Me Decide!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Finridge

AAA vs. GEICO for Roadside Assistance--Help Me Decide!

Post by Finridge »

So my AAA Plus (roadside service) membership is renewal bill is due in three days. Is is $129 for a year, and allows tows of up to 100 miles per incident. But a few months ago, we started using GEICO auto insurance, and they provide roadside assistance for no additional cost.

We've been buying the AAA "Plus" level--allowing 100 mile tows, because we often go on a trips, sometimes in more remote areas, where there can be many empty miles of desert. With the 100 mile tow, we can usually have our car towed to our "regular" mechanic shop--the one we near our home that we know and trust. And if we're on the road out the in the desert, we can choose what shop we can be towed to, as long as its within 100 miles. So we can choose to be towed to a shop in a larger town rather then whatever is at the nearest gas station, which might be of dubious quality or repute--not a place we want to get stuck at.

The GEICO roadside assistance does not have any fixed mileage limit. Rather, they say that they will have you towed to the "nearest repair shop." And of course the "nearest repair shop" might not be the optimal choice, either for convenience or our wallets.

We haven't needed a tow for years, but of course it's always a risk. In some ways, just relying on GEICO and saving $129 a year would seem to be the obvious choice. But I can see this backfiring in the future if it results in us having to use a repair shop that gouges us for hundreds of dollars more than we otherwise would need to pay. Or if we need to pay out of pocket to be towed to a better shop and it costs us hundreds of dollars. I'm also fearful that some of the towing companies make extra money by steering you to their own repair shops, or shops that give them kickbacks.

I'm requesting others to weigh in. I've had AAA for decades, and wondering whether I'm seeing it as a kind of security, and not being as rational as I could. Let me know what you think I should do, or how I should approach this.

Also, for those of you who are using the GEICO roadside assistance, or one like it, how do you like it? How has it worked out for you?

Thank you.
seawolf21

Re: AAA vs. GEICO for Roadside Assistance--Help Me Decide!

Post by seawolf21 »

Do you use AAA for anything else? $129 for five years is already $645. How much is a 100 mike tow?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

How do access and responsiveness compare? Is one more or less likely to leave you "stranded" when you need assistance?
IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA »

Any claim for tow, gas, battery jump or tire change shows up on CLUE report as a insurance claim if you use geico.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

My anecdote:
Geico - better rates
AAA - better perks/coverage
I prefer Geico. I might pick up AAA if I had a long commute or was doing a cross country road trip.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

IngognitoUSA wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 pm Any claim for tow, gas, battery jump or tire change shows up on CLUE report as a insurance claim if you use geico.
Not sure what's a CLUE report, but i emailed Geico about that and they responded:
When you use the service, it will not impact your premium. However, if the service is used more then 5 times in a 12 month period, the coverage can be non-renewed on the policy.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Finridge wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:08 pm So my AAA Plus (roadside service) membership is renewal bill is due in three days. Is is $129 for a year, and allows tows of up to 100 miles per incident. But a few months ago, we started using GEICO auto insurance, and they provide roadside assistance for no additional cost.

We've been buying the AAA "Plus" level--allowing 100 mile tows, because we often go on a trips, sometimes in more remote areas, where there can be many empty miles of desert. With the 100 mile tow, we can usually have our car towed to our "regular" mechanic shop--the one we near our home that we know and trust. And if we're on the road out the in the desert, we can choose what shop we can be towed to, as long as its within 100 miles. So we can choose to be towed to a shop in a larger town rather then whatever is at the nearest gas station, which might be of dubious quality or repute--not a place we want to get stuck at.

The GEICO roadside assistance does not have any fixed mileage limit. Rather, they say that they will have you towed to the "nearest repair shop." And of course the "nearest repair shop" might not be the optimal choice, either for convenience or our wallets.

We haven't needed a tow for years, but of course it's always a risk. In some ways, just relying on GEICO and saving $129 a year would seem to be the obvious choice. But I can see this backfiring in the future if it results in us having to use a repair shop that gouges us for hundreds of dollars more than we otherwise would need to pay. Or if we need to pay out of pocket to be towed to a better shop and it costs us hundreds of dollars. I'm also fearful that some of the towing companies make extra money by steering you to their own repair shops, or shops that give them kickbacks.

I'm requesting others to weigh in. I've had AAA for decades, and wondering whether I'm seeing it as a kind of security, and not being as rational as I could. Let me know what you think I should do, or how I should approach this.

Also, for those of you who are using the GEICO roadside assistance, or one like it, how do you like it? How has it worked out for you?

Thank you.
the few times I called AAA for service in the desert... it was extra or they simply "could not get to me" so I had to figure it out. I found it useless.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:40 pm
IngognitoUSA wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 pm Any claim for tow, gas, battery jump or tire change shows up on CLUE report as a insurance claim if you use geico.
Not sure what's a CLUE report, but i emailed Geico about that and they responded:
When you use the service, it will not impact your premium. However, if the service is used more then 5 times in a 12 month period, the coverage can be non-renewed on the policy.
CLUE reports can be informative on your history.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/ ... losure.jsp
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:44 pm

i emailed them again about this, they responded:
No, Emergency Road Service claims generally do not show up on a Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (CLUE) report.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

With AAA a guy with a big tow truck arrives to pull out of the ditch. With CEICO you get a little lizard in a Tonka.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Trism

Post by Trism »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:18 pm Do you use AAA for anything else? $129 for five years is already $645. How much is a 100 mile tow?
The need for a 100-mile tow would be too small of a risk for me to insure at $129/year.

The towing is only one small portion of the inconvenience and expense of breaking down. Getting stuck in an unfamiliar place for days while parts arrive and repairs are performed would be much worse than the cost of the tow.

If your car is unreliable, put the $129 a year into a car rental fund for when you make long trips.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 pm
tesuzuki2002 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:44 pm

i emailed them again about this, they responded:
No, Emergency Road Service claims generally do not show up on a Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange (CLUE) report.
The key word is "GENERALLY."

I can tell you that my one and only tow paid for by the insurance company showed up in my CLUE report as a claim. And the premium for towing increased as a result.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

My insurance does not cover towing. The few times I've been towed, I recall paying a hookup change (~$50, maybe) plus a trip charge (~$1/mile, maybe). I was glad to pay the towing bill* to get my vehicle to my preferred dealer's repair shop. Getting my vehicle repaired by the shop I wanted, and having it returned fix right, the first time, and having the use of the dealer's loaner vehicle* while they worked on mine... Priceless.

* My vehicle, a '90 Montero, is so old it now requires ordering-in parts, so a week in the shop is expected. The use of a dealer's loaner vehicle avoids a rental-vehicle charge so more than makes up for the tow charge.

In OP's case, I would be tempted to go with GEICO (save $129/yr) and plan to pay the additional charge to have my vehicle towed beyond the "nearest repair shop" to get it to my preferred repair shop. It's only money. (OP should check with GEICO that this is acceptable... GEICO pays for the hookup and trip charge to "nearest repair shop", and OP only pays for the additional trip charge to his preferred repair shop.)

If OP can go, say 5yrs, without needing a tow, then by not paying for AAA Plus he'll save $645 (=129 x 5). For that much you can pay for a long tow to his preferred repair shop.

If OP can't go without needing a tow more often than once every 5yrs, then it's time to buy more reliable vehicles. Or spend more money maintaining his existing vehicle. "A stitch in time..." and all that.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

dratkinson wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:09 pm
In OP's case, I would be tempted to go with GEICO (save $129/yr) and plan to pay the additional charge to have my vehicle towed beyond the "nearest repair shop" to get it to my preferred repair shop. It's only money. (OP should check with GEICO that this is acceptable... GEICO pays for the hookup and trip charge to "nearest repair shop", and OP only pays for the additional trip charge to his preferred repair shop.)

If OP can go, say 5yrs, without needing a tow, then by not paying for AAA Plus he'll save $645 (=129 x 5). For that much you can pay for a long tow to his preferred repair shop.
I called GEICO and asked them what happened if I wanted to be towed to a different repair shop. They told me that they covered only towing to the nearest shop, but that I could call somewhere else if I paid for the extra miles out of pocket. I asked if I'd be billed at a negotiated GEICO rate or just whatever the towing company chose to bill me--the representative was unable to answer this.

The last time we used the tow service was about 4 years ago. And if I remember correctly that is the only time we've used it in the last 10 years or so. Used it a couple of times in the 6 years preceding that. All were relatively short distances (10 miles or under).

This is tows only. I also used the locksmith service once in the last 10 years. A year ago, I needed help changing a flat tire--one of the lug nuts was on too tight--no amount of straining with the kit lug wrtench would budge it. Also, I have used the AAA battery service several times in recent years. But I think some of this would be covered by GEICO's service.

The call for the lug nut could have been avoided by carrying a much better lug nut wrench. And with some of the money I save on AAA, I suppose I could get a couple of "jumper starter" batteries from Costco or Amazon. I see that Costco has one that is both a cell phone recharger and a "jumper starter"... And of course, there's always the old standby of flagging down a good Samaritan.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Finridge wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:55 pm And with some of the money I save on AAA, I suppose I could get a couple of "jumper starter" batteries from Costco or Amazon. I see that Costco has one that is both a cell phone recharger and a "jumper starter"... And of course, there's always the old standby of flagging down a good Samaritan.
I picked up one of the jump starters you mention at Costco a couple of years ago. It just so happened that last year my less than 2.75 year-old battery with 3-year free replacement warranty died in the garage. I hooked up the little battery and voila, the car started right up!! It's hard to imagine that such a small battery can do this but it did. So for the $40 or so they cost they can be very valuable if they're re-charged occasionally.

My wife has also used it to run her phone and computer when using them in an area without power outlets. Very handy.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We are long time AAA customers. We have had to use the towing service twice and AAA was very responsive. In one instance, they towed our car over 30 miles. Also, AAA will change tires, jump a dead battery and unlock your car if you locked yourself out. My wife has used them for dead battery (twice) and changing tire when I was not available.

AAA has travel services: maps, travel planning, reservations, discounts, etc. that we find useful, but with the Internet and smart phones, are not as useful as they once were.

I have heard stories about unreliability of these other services. We know AAA is reliable. I see their trucks around town quite often. They have an active presence in our town. I do not trust these other towing services.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Please keep in mind if you have:

Chase Sapphire Reserve
AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card
AMEX Platinum
Citi Prestige

You already have roadside assistance via your membership fee. I’ve used my Chase card’s roadside assistance twice and never had an issue.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I dropped AAA 10 years ago.
Switched to Geico Assistance.
Hard to compare,
Fortunately haven't needed Roadside Assistance yet.
We also travel in a Class B Rv.
No plans to go back to AAA.(paper maps are a dinasour) :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Keep in mind that many new vehicles include years of free roadside assistance. For example, Ford includes 5 years / 60,000, towing you to the nearest Ford dealer. If you're within the 3 year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, all the work would be free also.

Includes:

Towing
We will tow your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified Ford Dealership within 35 miles.

Battery jump start
We will jump start your vehicle if your battery loses its charge.

Flat tire change
We will mount your spare if you have a flat tire.

Fuel Delivery
We will bring you up to two gallons of gasoline or five gallons of diesel fuel if you run out.

Lock out assistance
We will unlock your vehicle if you are locked out (doesn't include the cost of making spare keys). Of course, most Fords come with a keypad on the door. Simply store the code (including making up your own code) on your cell phone and you'll always be able to get in (unless battery is dead).
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Wed May 23, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've kept AAA even when I've bought a new car that comes with years of free roadside assistance. Let me think. We get enough of an insurance discount to pay for the membership. We get into the zoo, Legoland and amusement parks with discounts or free extra days. Not a lot, but $5 each off at Lime Rock for all races. I locked my keys in the car at the airport parking, and they came and got them out. When I was laid up with a back problem, they came to my house and changed a tire. My wife locked her keys in the car once. During a blizzard, I was stuck in the snow and AAA couldn't get out to me with all the calls. I had another towing service get me....minimum 1 hour, Sunday, double time, so $240. AAA reimbursed me a 1 time emergency for that. Discounts on hotels.

This is all just off the top of my head. I'm keeping AAA.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I have currently (AAA Plus) with my wife. Bought it last year on a discounted rate. If I am going to renew it this June, the website shows me I would pay $200 for both of us :shock:
This is not reasonable for me. Let alone that their web site is really cluttered and hard to navigate. It is not possible for example to cancel the auto renew online. It is not possible to downgrade online to the basic membership, only upgrade! I even can't see anymore that table that shows the differences between the basic and the plus even if I logged out my account and reentered the site as a new user! I can find the web page of the comparison table, but a pop window appears on top of it, asking me to enter my zip code (while hiding the contents of the table), once I do, the page completely changes back to their landing page!
I have to mention though, the one time I needed them, they came pretty quick and didnt even ask to see my card. But $200/yr?! That is outrageous in my opinion.
I will probably switch to Geico since I have their insurance, but was wondering has anyone heard about a service that is called (urgent.ly)? I am researching them and hopefully can find solid information.
goingup

Post by goingup »

We have AAA Classic at $92 year, which includes 5 mile towing. I keep it for lock-out, dead batteries, tire change and hotel and shuttle parking discounts. Usually there is some event, boat tour, museum or zoo discount that we use it for 1-2 times per year. I also the like the free paper maps for long-distance road trips. We've never needed a long-distance tow so that's a risk I'm willing to self-insure for now.

I consider AAA cheap insurance with additional tangible benefits.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 am...
Lock out assistance
Paid one locksmith to unlock my vehicle many years ago.

Now I self-insure by keeping my vehicle's thin valet key in my wallet; it's stuck in the card slot behind my driver's license.

Don't know what folks can do if they have a fat key. Maybe one of the magnetic key boxes would work.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

dratkinson wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 am...
Lock out assistance
Paid one locksmith to unlock my vehicle many years ago.
Now I self-insure by keeping my vehicle's thin valet key in my wallet; it's stuck in the card slot behind my driver's license.
Don't know what folks can do if they have a fat key. Maybe one of the magnetic key boxes would work.
Do that too..

Both of our current cars have a feature that will not allow the doors to be locked (with engine off) and the keys in the ignition. :)
Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon »

This. I've kept AAA Plus instead of using my auto insurance company's roadside assistance since I'm worried about them reporting to CLUE as a claim. Plus, AAA covers the person, not the vehicle, so if you're in a friend's, relative's, co-workers, or any other vehicle, you can use your AAA benefits. I don't believe most auto insurance's roadside assistance covers anything but the insured vehicle.
Last edited by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon on Fri May 25, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 am
This. I've kept AAA Plus instead of using my auto insurance company's roadside assistance since I'm worried about them reporting to CLUE as a claim. Plus, AAA covers the person, not the vehicle, so if you're in a friend's, relative's, co-workers, or any other vehicle, you can use your AAA benefits. i don't believe most auto insurance's roadside assistance covers anything but the insured vehicle.
I think the same way as well..
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

I can't believe people still pay for roadside assistance.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

dsmclone wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am I can't believe people still pay for roadside assistance.
What do you suggest - if stranded ??
Topic Author
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

It does bother me that GEICO would have both my auto insurance and provide roadside assistance and that some incidents might end up in my insurance record that I'd rather they not know about.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

dm200 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:38 pm
dsmclone wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 am I can't believe people still pay for roadside assistance.
You have to have a cell phone to call AAA right? Use that cell phone to call the same people that AAA would call to help you. Take that $130 you pay per year and bank it. I've had one breakdown in my 30 years of driving. I could have towed my vehicle from California to NY for the cost I would have paid to have AAA. What am I missing? Do you break down that much? I guess everyone has special needs but take a look at your history over the last 10 years and figure out what you would have paid without it.
furwut

Post by furwut »

AAA and automobile insurers may contract with roadside assistance providers at different rates. I was once told by a tower that AAA paid the best and, consequently, they handled their calls first.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

BogleMelon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:39 am I have currently (AAA Plus) with my wife. Bought it last year on a discounted rate. If I am going to renew it this June, the website shows me I would pay $200 for both of us :shock:
This is not reasonable for me. Let alone that their web site is really cluttered and hard to navigate. It is not possible for example to cancel the auto renew online. It is not possible to downgrade online to the basic membership, only upgrade! I even can't see anymore that table that shows the differences between the basic and the plus even if I logged out my account and reentered the site as a new user! I can find the web page of the comparison table, but a pop window appears on top of it, asking me to enter my zip code (while hiding the contents of the table), once I do, the page completely changes back to their landing page!
I have to mention though, the one time I needed them, they came pretty quick and didnt even ask to see my card. But $200/yr?! That is outrageous in my opinion.
I will probably switch to Geico since I have their insurance, but was wondering has anyone heard about a service that is called (urgent.ly)? I am researching them and hopefully can find solid information.
Time to update my experience, and refresh this post..
So my car was involved in an accident, currently being repaired by one of the Geico repair associates shops. I rented a car. While driving the rental, I got a flat tire. Pulled over to the nearest plaza and called Geico. Knowing that Geico goes by car not person, I chose to call rather than using their app to request the service and explain that the car is a temp replacement to the damaged car. I spoke with an agent who kept putting me on hold for long wait time, asking questions..etc Then the call got disconnect :oops:

I called again, asked to speak to the same person by name in order to avoid going from the beginning, my request was declined!! :annoyed
The new agent went through the whole punch of questions, put me on hold while calling the renter company (again), and another holding for calling her supervisor (again). Finally a dispatch order took place, informed me that they would take 45-50 mins to arrive.

It was a regular evening, no storms or anything to take that long. I was lucky that one of the store owners in that local plaza allowed me to stay inside rather than waiting in the cold car (or keep the engine running wasting gas and environment for heat).

Finally the repair guy came in a small car, not a wrench or a towing car. He asked if i have a spare, i said I don't know (it is a minivan and I wasnt able to find it)! To make the long story short, he found the spare, took him almost another 45 mins to change the tire and put the donut. Had that company sent a tow truck, I would choose to tow it back to the rental company and get another car on the spot. I believe AAA most of the times send wrench trucks at least.

With all the hassle I went through, i chose to go back to AAA paying a discounted rate they provided over the phone of $110 (100 miles + my wife included) and say goodbye to Geico Roadside assistant.
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:28 am Please keep in mind if you have:

Chase Sapphire Reserve
AMEX Platinum
Citi Prestige

You already have roadside assistance via your membership fee. I’ve used my Chase card’s roadside assistance twice and never had an issue.
Is it complementary with Chase?

I recall CSR coverage had very low limit but I might be wrong never used them for fear of running over d limit
darkhorse

Post by darkhorse »

Keep AAA if you can.

Not only Geico reports it that other insurance company will have access to in determining rate, a friend of mine showed jump in premium after using road sale services twice.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Finridge wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:08 pm So my AAA Plus (roadside service) membership is renewal bill is due in three days. Is is $129 for a year, and allows tows of up to 100 miles per incident. But a few months ago, we started using GEICO auto insurance, and they provide roadside assistance for no additional cost.

Thank you.
I used AAA for 10 years, until their service became really poor for roadside assistance. For a fraction of cost I switched to my own insurance company's roadside. I don't miss AAA.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

TheOscarGuy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Thank you.
I used AAA for 10 years, until their service became really poor for roadside assistance. For a fraction of cost I switched to my own insurance company's roadside. I don't miss AAA.
Can you please explain how poor and what happened?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

darkhorse wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:28 am Please keep in mind if you have:

Chase Sapphire Reserve
AMEX Platinum
Citi Prestige

Is it complementary with Chase?

I recall CSR coverage had very low limit but I might be wrong never used them for fear of running over d limit
Not sure what you mean by “low limit”. You are not charged for service visits unless you purchase something (for example a new battery) or your tow exceeds a certain distance, I believe 10 miles. Of course if you find yourself typically in more rural areas AAA Plus will tow you for 100 miles.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

dsmclone wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 am
dm200 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 1:38 pm
You have to have a cell phone to call AAA right? Use that cell phone to call the same people that AAA would call to help you. Take that $130 you pay per year and bank it. I've had one breakdown in my 30 years of driving. I could have towed my vehicle from California to NY for the cost I would have paid to have AAA. What am I missing? Do you break down that much? I guess everyone has special needs but take a look at your history over the last 10 years and figure out what you would have paid without it.

+1
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:45 pm
Can you please explain how poor and what happened?
Twice in a year we were stranded once in a parking lot at cold night, and once on roadside. We waited over 4 hrs. on one occasion, and over 2 hrs. on another. I had used AAA only for Auto/home insurance over the years. That simply made no sense to me. I could have paid a towing service on both occasions and would have had a faster service, at probably same price as I was paying AAA for membership.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

Last edited by ladders11 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J295

Post by J295 »

My credit cards and my insurance coverage provide 24 hour roadside service. There is no charge to have the service available, but if I use it I need to pay for it. I could get the services covered if I pay AAA or put a rider on the insurance. The only problems we’ve had in over 40 years of driving, covering hundreds of thousands of miles, our one flat tire and a nail in a tire one time. Both were very easy to manage by ourselves — and one case we pulled into the service station and paid a mechanic to fix the flat, and in the other case pulled into the auto parts store and bought a $10 repair kit and pulled out the nail and patched ourselves. I’d have to doublecheck, but I think our Sams Club plus membership would pay for towing and repair at no charge, since we purchased our last set of tires at Sam’s

We self insure items not covered by Sam’s Club. If I break down on the interstate and have to pay for a tow and pay for a mechanic, even after hours or on the weekend, I understand that’s the way it works. In the meantime, I’m saving the annual cost to get AAA or insure. I know also that our 2016 SUV is well-maintained and like most of the newer vehicles has a computerized warning system. Doesn’t guaranty that we won’t have a break down, but it helps minimize those chances.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We are long time AAA customers and have used their towing service several times. AAA is very responsive. They also will help you if you lock your keys in car (less likely today), jump dead battery or fix a flat. Those services or especially helpful to my wife. We have the basic AAA membership which has limited towing distance but does guarantee a low per mile rate if you need it. Towing services are very predatory, so if you try to get a tow by yourself, you will likely be gouged (remember, your negotiating leverage at that point is zero).

Several years ago, we were returning from a trip late on Saturday night and the radiator hose burst. I was able to pull into a truck weight station but we were stuck until we could get towed for repairs. We were 40 miles from home. I called AAA and they came and towed us to our house. I believe we paid $3 per mile for excess miles but that was well worth it to me. It is worth paying about $100 per year for that service, which to me is a form of insurance. I can get this much cheaper through my auto insurance but I have heard stories about the lack of responsiveness of these services. I want a service I know will be there for me. I will continue to use AAA.
Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 »

Not trying to be a smart Alec, but before I let go of $129/ year I would learn how to change my own tire. I'm sorry, I drive 23K miles per year and have never run out of gas or locked my keys in a car. I have had several flats that I've changed on my own on the roadside in 10 minutes. My batteries are replaced preventedly at 4 years. My belts every 100,000 miles.

I realize that situational break downs can still happen, no way to eliminate that risk. That's when I hire a tow truck with all that money I've saved from not paying $129/year.
wassabi

Post by wassabi »

I've been using AAA since I started driving about 25 years ago. My family always had clunkers so we would max our tows every year. I've driven more reliable cars the past 15 years, but have had to place a call on average once every two years for a dead battery or flat tire. In fact, we just placed a call last week because my neighbor's car battery died while my wife was using it. Every time I've used it, at least in the past ten years, the service has been excellent.

In my mind, AAA is insurance. Some insurance coverage we want, others we don't. Most we hope we'll never use (at least for a long time). But AAA is well worth the $200/year for the service and peace of mind we get. Living in the DC area is hell with traffic so it's important to have prompt service if you have an accident or break down. Although we're in the digital age, my wife and I like to drop by the AAA store once in awhile and pick up the free state and region maps. It never hurts to have a backup paper map in the car, and they are full of coupons and other ideas for activities if you're on a road trip.

One additional point about discounts - when I stay at IHG (holiday inn, etc.) and other hotels I always get a better rate by selecting AAA as the discount code. I save about $10 per visit on the rate and do this about 5-10 times per year. There's all kinds of little ways to save using your membership. But mostly for us it comes down to peace of mind - 100 miles of towing and a lot of other services for $200/year. We can easily cut $17/month from our restaurant budget to make up the difference if we have to.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Nissanzx1 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:18 am I have had several flats that I've changed on my own on the roadside in 10 minutes.
How cold your country/state could be during the winter? For me, I know how to change a tire, but would pay $500 to someone to change it for me when the temperatures goes down below 30's F!
Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 »

How cold your country/state could be during the winter? For me, I know how to change a tire, but would pay $500 to someone to change it for me when the temperatures goes down below 30's F!
[/quote]

It gets cold (37 now). I always keep gloves and stocking cap in my car. It's happened in the cold, but you just have to dress for success ;)
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

A friend of mine was driving from San Diego to Phoenix and blew out a tire in the sand dune area just west of the AZ/CA state line. It was after dark and he either had no jack or couldn't find it in the dark. Called AAA and was connected with the dispatcher for Auto Club of Southern California (AAA affiliate there). They have no tow shops in the area (it's empty desert around there) so they contacted AAA Arizona, who sent a truck from Yuma.

I think (and so did he) that it was very good service.

Another point, sure it's easy to change a tire but we have motorists killed all the time changing tires on the freeway shoulder. I would never change my tire on the freeway, even with a large shoulder. Someone drunk, tired, etc. can come right off the road and road, hit me, and that's it. Just not worth the chance. That's why I keep AAA.

Monetary calculations sometimes are not the only consideration. (Yeah, I know, that doesn't go over well on this board.)
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Turbo29 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:45 am Another point, sure it's easy to change a tire but we have motorists killed all the time changing tires on the freeway shoulder. I would never change my tire on the freeway, even with a large shoulder. Someone drunk, tired, etc. can come right off the road and road, hit me, and that's it. Just not worth the chance. That's why I keep AAA.
Good point. In some states it is even illegal to get out of your car on a freeway.
Turbo29 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:45 am (Yeah, I know, that doesn't go over well on this board.)
I dont think this is true. This board appreciate as well the time and convenience as much as money.
FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan »

wassabi wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:25 am I've been using AAA since I started driving about 25 years ago. My family always had clunkers so we would max our tows every year. I've driven more reliable cars the past 15 years, but have had to place a call on average once every two years for a dead battery or flat tire. In fact, we just placed a call last week because my neighbor's car battery died while my wife was using it. Every time I've used it, at least in the past ten years, the service has been excellent.

In my mind, AAA is insurance. Some insurance coverage we want, others we don't. Most we hope we'll never use (at least for a long time). But AAA is well worth the $200/year for the service and peace of mind we get. Living in the DC area is hell with traffic so it's important to have prompt service if you have an accident or break down. Although we're in the digital age, my wife and I like to drop by the AAA store once in awhile and pick up the free state and region maps. It never hurts to have a backup paper map in the car, and they are full of coupons and other ideas for activities if you're on a road trip.

One additional point about discounts - when I stay at IHG (holiday inn, etc.) and other hotels I always get a better rate by selecting AAA as the discount code. I save about $10 per visit on the rate and do this about 5-10 times per year. There's all kinds of little ways to save using your membership. But mostly for us it comes down to peace of mind - 100 miles of towing and a lot of other services for $200/year. We can easily cut $17/month from our restaurant budget to make up the difference if we have to.
+1. Perfect explanation. It’s a nice “insurance” to have, especially in bad weather or travelling in unfamiliar areas.

I also would agree about the hotel discount. On average, I find AAA saves $10-15 per night at most hotels. 8-10 hotel night stays makes up the money you spent on the classic membership.

And their travel agents are excellent, especially on Disney and Universal discounted park tickets. I also find renting cars through AAA is usually the cheapest options.
mouses

Post by mouses »

carolinaman wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:24 am We are long time AAA customers. We have had to use the towing service twice and AAA was very responsive. In one instance, they towed our car over 30 miles. Also, AAA will change tires, jump a dead battery and unlock your car if you locked yourself out. My wife has used them for dead battery (twice) and changing tire when I was not available.

AAA has travel services: maps, travel planning, reservations, discounts, etc. that we find useful, but with the Internet and smart phones, are not as useful as they once were.

I have heard stories about unreliability of these other services. We know AAA is reliable. I see their trucks around town quite often. They have an active presence in our town. I do not trust these other towing services.
+1 I suppose I will jinx things, but AAA has been perfect, including arriving and changing a flat tire in time for me to not miss an appointment, a long tow at no extra charge from a neighboring state to my local mechanic, dead batteries, etc. I have their 100 mile service.