Best Leather Checkbook

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
longleaf

Best Leather Checkbook

Post by longleaf »

Looking for a decent checkbook. I don't want a bunch of features (calculator, multiple use wallet, pattern exterior, etc.) just a simple leather checkbook.

This will be for personal checks (not page size)
Frugality, indexing, time.
bob60014

Re: Best Leather Checkbook

Post by bob60014 »

What's a checkbook? ;)
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

There are lots of leather checkbook covers on Amazon. Use the link at the top of the page for the forum to get a bit to help run this forum if you want.

I just looked at my plastic checkbook cover, and noticed the calendars on the back page of the check register are for 1999, 2000, and 2001!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I was going to recommend Coach but they don't even sell a simple checkbook cover these days.

If I had to buy one I would probably look on Amazon and make sure I could return it.
four7s

Post by four7s »

Go to your local Fair or Art Show and buy a handmade checkbook. They'll probably last long enough to see you out.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

If you go to crafts fairs at all, look around. I found a hand-made leather checkbook holder 20-25 years ago, and it may last another century. I recently removed the register from it and began using an electronic register that was linked in another thread here, so I now have two checkbooks in my leather holder. I do have to dust it off every couple of months or so :happy

edit: four 7s beat me by that much.
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

I have gotten two leather checkbooks in years past by simply ordering them from the company that printed the checks. Quite nice quality and one I still use (preferring its color over the first one's).

If you want really high prestige quality then I would use internet search for "leather checkbook"
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:24 pm What's a checkbook? ;)
Those things people pull out in line at the supermarket - and start writing all slow and fancy while they are joking with the clerk.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

longleaf wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:17 pm Looking for a decent checkbook. I don't want a bunch of features (calculator, multiple use wallet, pattern exterior, etc.) just a simple leather checkbook.

Ah, I wish you had asked when I was searching Amazon for the same. I ended up going with a plastic one with a fun print on it, but I must have looked at every leather one. Happy shopping.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

longleaf wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:17 pm Looking for a decent checkbook. I don't want a bunch of features (calculator, multiple use wallet, pattern exterior, etc.) just a simple leather checkbook.

I found mine at a craft fair. Cost a lot but lasted 15-20 years.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Bogleheads probably use plastic check books which do not look good so it will hurt when spending money. We have no problems using those plastic covers which come with the check order.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We no longer have a checkbook. My spouse carries one single check in her wallet just in case - I used to also carry one single but it got so old after a few years of not being used I put it in the shredder. We keep the check pad in a desk drawer for the 2 or 3 checks we write per year (usually to a plumber or something that wants payment in person when services are rendered). Other than this - everything is bank ePay or credit cards.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:33 pm There are lots of leather checkbook covers on Amazon. Use the link at the top of the page for the forum to get a bit to help run this forum if you want.

Broken Man 1999
I ordered a nice looking leather checkbook from Amazon but it was too big - the checks and register slid around and out. They're forgetting how to make these things IMO.
Lance

Post by Lance »

A few years ago I purchased a checkbook cover from Northstar Leather, all made in USA products. It was a little pricey, and extremely good quality.

http://www.nstarleather.com/optimizer/c ... versW.html
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

Pajamas wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm I was going to recommend Coach but they don't even sell a simple checkbook cover these days.

If I had to buy one I would probably look on Amazon and make sure I could return it.
I was going to say Coach as well. You might check some of the luggage places in the malls or big department stores probably carry them if you want to handle one prior to buying (vs online)

I use to carry a checkbook/wallet back in the day. 8-)
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.