My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WorldWanderer

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by WorldWanderer »

Drats. Pinotage beat me to it. Wanted to be the final post at 1,000, lucky for me the moderators have increased the cap for a single subject to 1,001. 14 months and 1,001 posts. Let's call it done, shall we?
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

CULater wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm It could be that the level of fuel in oil that the 1.5T engine exhibits is not damaging to the engine. But I'm not willing to assume that and buy one of these vehicles knowing about the issue. I never would have bought one if I'd had a clue. Too many other choices out there to even mess with it. Mazda CX-5, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, Buick Envision, Subaru Forester, Hyundai Tucson, Hyundai Santa Fe. All small SUVs with 4-cyl engines. Haven't heard reports than any of these are troubled as much as the CRV with fuel dilution of the engine oil.
There have been one or more threads about the Subaru Forester burning oil. Not the same problem as the CRV, but certainly a problem of equal concern. I wonder if Subaru fixed this problem with the new engine in the 2019 model year. The Forester has also had CVT issues.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm It could be that the level of fuel in oil that the 1.5T engine exhibits is not damaging to the engine. But I'm not willing to assume that and buy one of these vehicles knowing about the issue. I never would have bought one if I'd had a clue. Too many other choices out there to even mess with it. Mazda CX-5, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, Buick Envision, Subaru Forester, Hyundai Tucson, Hyundai Santa Fe. All small SUVs with 4-cyl engines. Haven't heard reports than any of these are troubled as much as the CRV with fuel dilution of the engine oil.
"But I'm not willing to assume that and buy one of these vehicles knowing about the issue. "
"no way I want to get stuck with the cost of a major engine failure once it's out of warranty, especially since I'm now unfortunately familiar with Honda's approach to dealing with this issue.
Other thoughts - 2 choices:
1. trade it now facts:
- you are miserable with this car
- the car is popular now
- the car has no problems now
- the car has high trade now
- you can get a good trade value for a CPO with warrantee now
2. Keep it now facts:
- you will remain miserable whether it displays further problems or not until its gone
- if problems do become apparent the value will fall
- if problems do become apparent it will be much harder to trade
- the costs between trading now without problems and trading in the future without problems are the same
- there is no value you can place on happiness, it is a commodity that cannot be replaced
No question I would go with #1 if I had your opinions on the car....
Good luck and be happy
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:14 am So, if one really wants a new CRV with the 1.5l engine (I’m not currently looking for any vehicle), isn’t a possible answer to lease rather than buy? Yes, it will be more expensive to lease 3 vehicles over 9 years than buying one, but Honda will bear all the risk of the faulty engine assuming all scheduled service is performed at the dealership. Cars Direct.com shows the monthly cost for a CRV EX lease is $377 or $4524 per year on a MSRP of a little over $28k. If one typically trades a vehicle in every 6 years (not Boglehead, I know), leasing wouldn’t be that much more than buying.
I've been leasing Hondas for a number of years....another good reason to do so.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 am
ClaycordJCA wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:14 am So, if one really wants a new CRV with the 1.5l engine (I’m not currently looking for any vehicle), isn’t a possible answer to lease rather than buy? Yes, it will be more expensive to lease 3 vehicles over 9 years than buying one, but Honda will bear all the risk of the faulty engine assuming all scheduled service is performed at the dealership. Cars Direct.com shows the monthly cost for a CRV EX lease is $377 or $4524 per year on a MSRP of a little over $28k. If one typically trades a vehicle in every 6 years (not Boglehead, I know), leasing wouldn’t be that much more than buying.
I've been leasing Hondas for a number of years....another good reason to do so.
Or, you could just pass and lease a non-clunker vehicle instead.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Update from dealer visit: took it in today and showed them the oil analysis indicating severe fuel dilution of the oil. They could care less. No comment as to why the oil dilution is as bad after the "fix" as it was before -- took the 5th. I was sent on my way being told that nothing can be done unless the check engine light comes or the engine starts falling apart. Was also told that the Civic and Accord are having the same issue with the 1.5T engine. Apparently that's all she wrote for this issue as far as Honda is concerned, so learn to live with it...
msi

Post by msi »

Honda is extending the powertrain warranty by an additional year for 2017-2018 CR-Vs with the 1.5L engine. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... o-engines/
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

What' s the situation now? What about the 2019 model? Thinking about to get a CRV.
tapotti

Post by tapotti »

Don't risk it.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

msi wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm Honda is extending the powertrain warranty by an additional year for 2017-2018 CR-Vs with the 1.5L engine. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... o-engines/
Thanks for this.
The extended coverage applies to certain 2017 to 2018 CR-Vs and 2016 to 2018 Civics that have the 1.5-liter turbo engine.
Not clear who will be eligible for the warranty extension. I've complained to dealer repeatedly but they've continually blown me off and my concerns have not been conveyed to Honda Corporate, so who knows?

Riddled with the usual lies and deceptions regarding the issue, but it's getting harder for them to stonewall. This is what they should have done, and may be forced to do eventually:
“We’re glad there’s a free fix available nationwide,” says William Wallace, a safety policy advocate for CR. “But if the vehicles are stalling, as some owners have reported, this is a safety issue and Honda should conduct an official recall, which doesn’t expire.”
There's no reason to believe the 2019 CRV isn't susceptible to the same problem as the 2017-2018. Same engine with the bogus and ineffective "fix" applied. I've already indicated that it does nothing to correct the problem if your engine is affected. How come the warranty extension isn't provided across the board to ALL CRV's, Civics, and Accords with the 1.5T engine, as they've done in China and Canada? They keep pretending it's a cold weather issue and that's a lie. Honda continues to avoid accepting responsibility and I'd avoid buying their product as a consequence.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:22 am
msi wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm Honda is extending the powertrain warranty by an additional year for 2017-2018 CR-Vs with the 1.5L engine. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... o-engines/
Thanks for this.
The extended coverage applies to certain 2017 to 2018 CR-Vs and 2016 to 2018 Civics that have the 1.5-liter turbo engine.
Not clear who will be eligible for the warranty extension. I've complained to dealer repeatedly but they've continually blown me off and my concerns have not been conveyed to Honda Corporate, so who knows?

Riddled with the usual lies and deceptions regarding the issue, but it's getting harder for them to stonewall. This is what they should have done, and may be forced to do eventually:
“We’re glad there’s a free fix available nationwide,” says William Wallace, a safety policy advocate for CR. “But if the vehicles are stalling, as some owners have reported, this is a safety issue and Honda should conduct an official recall, which doesn’t expire.”
There's no reason to believe the 2019 CRV isn't susceptible to the same problem as the 2017-2018. Same engine with the bogus and ineffective "fix" applied. I've already indicated that it does nothing to correct the problem if your engine is affected. How come the warranty extension isn't provided across the board to ALL CRV's, Civics, and Accords with the 1.5T engine, as they've done in China and Canada? They keep pretending it's a cold weather issue and that's a lie. Honda continues to avoid accepting responsibility and I'd avoid buying their product as a consequence.
"Not clear who will be eligible for the warranty extension. I've complained to dealer repeatedly but they've continually blown me off and my concerns have not been conveyed to Honda Corporate, so who knows?"
Extended to all CRVs 2016,2017, 2018 that have the 1.5 engine in them.

"How come the warranty extension isn't provided across the board to ALL CRV's, Civics, and Accords with the 1.5T engine"
It covers all vehicles with the 1.5 engine but not the 2.4 engine which these vehicles also have. Approx. I million vehicles were sold with the 1.5 engine these years in the US - that is what this extended coverage includes.

"Honda continues to avoid accepting responsibility"
The coverage now is raised to 6 years with unlimited mileage for these engines.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

smitcat wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:35 am
Thanks for this.

"Not clear who will be eligible for the warranty extension. I've complained to dealer repeatedly but they've continually blown me off and my concerns have not been conveyed to Honda Corporate, so who knows?"

"How come the warranty extension isn't provided across the board to ALL CRV's, Civics, and Accords with the 1.5T engine"
It covers all vehicles with the 1.5 engine but not the 2.4 engine which these vehicles also have. Approx. I million vehicles were sold with the 1.5 engine these years in the US - that is what this extended coverage includes.

Where is this information available? Since the 1.5T engine wasn't available in the CRV until 2017, it would seem unusual to cover it for the 2016 which doesn't have that engine.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:53 am
smitcat wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:35 am
Thanks for this.

Where is this information available? Since the 1.5T engine wasn't available in the CRV until 2017, it would seem unusual to cover it for the 2016 which doesn't have that engine.
Its easy for us - we just call our local dealer which can pass on this information when its available. Since this was just sent out it is rather new information.
The extended warrantee can only assists you in your trade for a vehicle that you will be happy with.
I hope you get that new vehicle soon and it works out great for you.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

The extra warranty for vehicles in all 50 states specifically covers camshafts and rocker-arm assemblies and states the extension “addresses concerns related to engine oil dilution.”
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda ... n-problem

I guess we know what oil dilution is doing to these engines and why they aren't going to be reliable.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Funny, this memo is dated April 5 and I haven't heard a thing.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:03 am Image

Funny, this memo is dated April 5 and I haven't heard a thing.
"Funny, this memo is dated April 5 and I haven't heard a thing"
Not really... you owned the car for 2 years and did not know how to reset the navigation screen/computer either.
Its not possible to know all things about a car - you don't like this one so get it moved ASAP.
Be happy, have fun, leave this behind.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Not really... you owned the car for 2 years and did not know how to reset the navigation screen/computer either.
Yes, I've learned a lot about the vehicle that I never wanted to know because of all the problems I've had with it. Oh, BTW I just saw there's a big recall on the 2019 CRV because the airbag is randomly deploying on those, so check that out if you own one.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019 ... bags.shtml
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 am
Yes, I've learned a lot about the vehicle that I never wanted to know because of all the problems I've had with it. Oh, BTW I just saw there's a big recall on the 2019 CRV because the airbag is randomly deploying on those, so check that out if you own one.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019 ... bags.shtml
Which vehicle are you getting to replace your CRV?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please stay on-topic, which is about the dreaded CR-V oil-gas dilution problem.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
wasp09

Post by wasp09 »

smitcat wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:59 am It covers all vehicles with the 1.5 engine but not the 2.4 engine which these vehicles also have. Approx. I million vehicles were sold with the 1.5 engine these years in the US - that is what this extended coverage includes.
Honda had already recalled 591,055 vehicles due to OD in China by 2018 September:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1LT1XE

That number was more than just a few. China received a life time extended warranty.

Why should US Honda be different?
dspencer

Post by dspencer »

wasp09 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm Honda had already recalled 591,055 vehicles due to OD in China by 2018 September:

That number was more than just a few. China received a life time extended warranty.

This is what I find frustrating. Now they have acknowledged that there is in fact a problem that might cause long term issues with your powertrain and they are extending the warranty....by one year. The mileage is now unlimited, but I don't expect to drive much more than 60,000 by that time anyway. Especially given the nature of a problem that is likely to be more significant in the long term, this seems like a way of offering "something" without it costing too much. If they really believe this is a very rare issue that's unlikely to matter much, then why not make the warranty lifetime like in China? At the very least do something meaningful like 10 years.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

wasp09 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm
smitcat wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:59 am It covers all vehicles with the 1.5 engine but not the 2.4 engine which these vehicles also have. Approx. I million vehicles were sold with the 1.5 engine these years in the US - that is what this extended coverage includes.
Honda had already recalled 591,055 vehicles due to OD in China by 2018 September:

I would suggest that if you have an affected vehicle and you do not like this situation then trade it is for another different vehicle as others have dine in this thread.
They seem to get high value for the trade while they are newer and then they are happy with the new car - always a win when you can be happy.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

dspencer wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm
wasp09 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm Honda had already recalled 591,055 vehicles due to OD in China by 2018 September:

This is what I find frustrating. Now they have acknowledged that there is in fact a problem that might cause long term issues with your powertrain and they are extending the warranty....by one year. The mileage is now unlimited, but I don't expect to drive much more than 60,000 by that time anyway. Especially given the nature of a problem that is likely to be more significant in the long term, this seems like a way of offering "something" without it costing too much. If they really believe this is a very rare issue that's unlikely to matter much, then why not make the warranty lifetime like in China? At the very least do something meaningful like 10 years.
"The mileage is now unlimited, but I don't expect to drive much more than 60,000 by that time anyway."
I would suggest that if you have an affected vehicle and you do not like this situation then trade it is for another different vehicle as others have done in this thread.
They all seem to get high value for the CRV trade while they are newer and then they are happy with the new car - always a win when you can be happy in the long run.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

So, actually it seems they started contacting victims (er, customers) on April 5. Old news CR! I reckon I'm not on the list or would have been contacted by now. Wonder what it takes to be a privileged victim? They need to develop a conscience and deal honestly with their CRV customers instead of covertly doling out the "fix" and now the extended warranty.
April 29,2019 I spoke to my Honda case manager about my case of oil dilution, he informed me that my vehicle has qualified for a 6yr unlimited mileage warranty extension. He said that Honda started the campaign on April 5, 2019, and that was when they started mailing out letters.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/h ... on.197931/
JPH

Post by JPH »

CULater wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:23 pm So, actually it seems they started contacting victims (er, customers) on April 5. Old news CR! I reckon I'm not on the list or would have been contacted by now. Wonder what it takes to be a privileged victim? They need to develop a conscience and deal honestly with their CRV customers instead of covertly doling out the "fix" and now the extended warranty.
April 29,2019 I spoke to my Honda case manager about my case of oil dilution, he informed me that my vehicle has qualified for a 6yr unlimited mileage warranty extension. He said that Honda started the campaign on April 5, 2019, and that was when they started mailing out letters.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/h ... on.197931/
The battery died on my 2017 CRV. I got it jumped and took it to the dealer. As I always do, I complained of oil dilution. As they always do, the told me there is nothing to do about it. I asked about the warranty extension. They typed my VIN into the system and printed the warranty extension for me. It covers camshafts, rocker arm, and possibly spark plugs. I asked them to check the oil and did get them to document that the level was 1/2 inch above the full line. I asked about using higher viscosity oil; they said No. I asked about more frequent oil changes; they said to go by the Maintenance-Minder. They did replace the battery under warranty.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Checked with dealer and said my warranty is extended - six years on cam and rocker arms. You probably need to check with your dealer to find out if you are included if you have a gas-lubricated engine.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

So it appears the warranty extension applies to all 2017-2018 CRVs. I guess you 2019 owners are out of luck with the same engine with the same problem.
Honda Civic and CR-V Oil Dilution Warranties Extended
May 28, 2019 — Honda Civic and CR-V oil dilution problems have caused Honda to extend the powertrain warranties on more than 1 million cars and SUVs in the U.S.

The action was taken after customers complained of fuel mixing with the engine oil, with some claiming their Civics and CR-Vs suffered from engine damage.

The powertrain warranty extensions cover 2016-2018 Honda Civics and 2017-2018 Honda CR-V EX, EX-L and Touring SUVs equipped with Earth Dreams 1.5-liter engines.

Honda representative Chris Martin says the warranty extensions cover CR-Vs and Civics in all 50 states.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019 ... ded.shtml
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

CULater wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am So it appears the warranty extension applies to all 2017-2018 CRVs. I guess you 2019 owners are out of luck with the same engine with the same problem.
1. It applies to the 1.5L engine; it does NOT apply to the LX model.

2. Honda believes the problem was fixed by the changes they recently released. The 2019 models had this fix applied before being delivered to customers. I realize that you, and others, disagree that the problem was fixed. I guess only time will tell if there are a lot of failures. My assumption is that if this turns into a major issue down the road, Honda will extend the warranty. I can appreciate that Honda doesn't want to provide a major extension to the power train warranty. Even if this isn't a problem, some engines will fail after 6 years. Honda (or any manufacturer) doesn't want to provide lifetime guarantees if they don't have to. I realize Honda did extend the warranty in China. But that country has different rules.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

prd1982 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am
CULater wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am So it appears the warranty extension applies to all 2017-2018 CRVs. I guess you 2019 owners are out of luck with the same engine with the same problem.

2. Honda believes the problem was fixed by the changes they recently released. The 2019 models had this fix applied before being delivered to customers. I realize that you, and others, disagree that the problem was fixed. I guess only time will tell if there are a lot of failures. My assumption is that if this turns into a major issue down the road, Honda will extend the warranty. I can appreciate that Honda doesn't want to provide a major extension to the power train warranty. Even if this isn't a problem, some engines will fail after 6 years. Honda (or any manufacturer) doesn't want to provide lifetime guarantees if they don't have to. I realize Honda did extend the warranty in China. But that country has different rules.
Honda actually had to recall all CRVs in China, which is what should be happening here. I don't really know how they are getting away with it. As for the "fix" - I found it didn't work, so can't imagine why it would work in the 2019 either. What a scam. Little by little, they are being dragged into facing this problem.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:20 am
prd1982 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am

Honda actually had to recall all CRVs in China, which is what should be happening here. I don't really know how they are getting away with it. As for the "fix" - I found it didn't work, so can't imagine why it would work in the 2019 either. What a scam. Little by little, they are being dragged into facing this problem.
"As for the "fix" - I found it didn't work, so can't imagine why it would work in the 2019 either. What a scam. Little by little, they are being dragged into facing this problem."
You can choose what happens with this problem, the way I see it you have 2 choices...
1. trade it now facts:
- you are miserable with this car
- the car is popular now
- the car has no problems now
- the car has high trade now
- you can get a good trade value for a CPO with warrantee now
2. Keep it now facts:
- you will remain miserable whether it displays further problems or not until its gone
- if problems do become apparent the value will fall
- if problems do become apparent it will be much harder to trade
- the costs between trading now without problems and trading in the future without problems are the same
- there is no value you can place on happiness, it is a commodity that cannot be replaced
No question I would go with #1 if I had your opinions on the car....
Good luck and be happy
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

Smitcat-
The point if this thread and my posts is not to merely complain about my problem but to throw some light on this problem with the CRV to alert others and even to put a little heat on Honda to do something about it. From my OP:
Since the new CRV is a very popular vehicle, I wanted to offer a heads-up to potential purchasers and help get this issue into the media so Honda will try to do something about it. So far, they appear to be stonewalling, and China has issued a ban on selling any more CRVs there. Had I known about this issue, I would not have purchased this vehicle and I'd recommend the same to others.
I intend to keep doing this as new information becomes available, since unfortunately more than a year later since I first noticed it Honda has not resolved this problem, and continue to be engaged successfully in covering it up as best they can. I continue to be hopeful that some people have avoided buying this vehicle and that others will. As for being hopeful that Honda will address the issue, I have no hope of that happening voluntarily any more.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

The problem with Honda is larger than just the oil dilution issue. The problem is that the brand has deteriorated, and folks (such as myself) need to rethink whether to patronize some formerly well-regarded brands. Change happens.
Remember when Honda introduced the 1.5-liter VTEC Turbo in the Civic? How about when the CR-V switched to the 1.5 as the entry-level engine? As it happens, the four-cylinder powerplant isn’t the most reliable out there, and that’s somewhat worrying if you remember that Honda specialized in engine design and production when Soichiro was running the company.

Planned obsolescence is slowly but steadily eroding the Japanese reliability of old, a similar pattern to what happened to Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi in the 1990s.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/hond ... 34721.html
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 am Smitcat-
The point if this thread and my posts is not to merely complain about my problem but to throw some light on this problem with the CRV to alert others and even to put a little heat on Honda to do something about it. From my OP:
Since the new CRV is a very popular vehicle, I wanted to offer a heads-up to potential purchasers and help get this issue into the media so Honda will try to do something about it. So far, they appear to be stonewalling, and China has issued a ban on selling any more CRVs there. Had I known about this issue, I would not have purchased this vehicle and I'd recommend the same to others.
I intend to keep doing this as new information becomes available, since unfortunately more than a year later since I first noticed it Honda has not resolved this problem, and continue to be engaged successfully in covering it up as best they can. I continue to be hopeful that some people have avoided buying this vehicle and that others will. As for being hopeful that Honda will address the issue, I have no hope of that happening voluntarily any more.

"The point if this thread and my posts is not to merely complain about my problem but to throw some light on this problem with the CRV to alert others and even to put a little heat on Honda to do something about it"

CULater - I would think that this post could easily serve to shed light on the Honda oil dilution issue as well as provide feedback for a best solution to your immediate problem - you had also asked for that along the way.
There is no reason not to help solve your problem and make folks aware.

"I intend to keep doing this as new information becomes available, since unfortunately more than a year later since I first noticed it Honda has not resolved this problem"
A year later and your problem continues to exist - you are not helpless to fix this as others have solved for this problem and posted that in this thread.

"and continue to be engaged successfully in covering it up as best they can.
As for being hopeful that Honda will address the issue,"
Honda just announced a million car plus added warrantee with no mileage limit - that is neither keeping it quiet or not addressing the issue. At point in time this is what you were looking for - but it does not solve your problem
Please see my past posts about Pyrrhic victory - there are 135,000 people buying these cars each year, for the mots part no one cares, and in many cases other cars are worse.
How will you be happy?
How will you enjoy any car if you keep worrying?
How will you enjoy life and time in front of you if you hate the car in your driveway?
Be happy , take control, solve you problem, enjoy your time.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am The problem with Honda is larger than just the oil dilution issue. The problem is that the brand has deteriorated, and folks (such as myself) need to rethink whether to patronize some formerly well-regarded brands. Change happens.
Remember when Honda introduced the 1.5-liter VTEC Turbo in the Civic? How about when the CR-V switched to the 1.5 as the entry-level engine? As it happens, the four-cylinder powerplant isn’t the most reliable out there, and that’s somewhat worrying if you remember that Honda specialized in engine design and production when Soichiro was running the company.

Planned obsolescence is slowly but steadily eroding the Japanese reliability of old, a similar pattern to what happened to Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi in the 1990s.
Trying to put a positive value added spin on this problem....
Which brand(s) would be the best to utilize now that we have excluded Honda?
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

smitcat wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 am
CULater wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 am The problem with Honda is larger than just the oil dilution issue. The problem is that the brand has deteriorated, and folks (such as myself) need to rethink whether to patronize some formerly well-regarded brands. Change happens.

Yes, that's the question car buyers should be asking themselves instead of looking to the past. Soichiro Honda was the founder of Honda Motor Company and was an engineer. Not the same company now.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

This thread has a very negative tone on Honda, driven primarily by one issue. Some folks believe the problem still exists; others, including Honda, do not. The CRV continues to get great reviews. Consumers Reports gives the 2018 CRV a 4-out-of-5 rating for reliability. I'm pretty sure you can find a thread for any auto model that says the model is terrible. People looking for a new auto should read this thread. But they should also check CR, Edmunds, etc.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

prd1982 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 am This thread has a very negative tone on Honda, driven primarily by one issue. Some folks believe the problem still exists; others, including Honda, do not. The CRV continues to get great reviews. Consumers Reports gives the 2018 CRV a 4-out-of-5 rating for reliability. I'm pretty sure you can find a thread for any auto model that says the model is terrible. People looking for a new auto should read this thread. But they should also check CR, Edmunds, etc.
Absolutely true - while the problem with the 1.5 engine option in the CRV is not good at all it pales compered to other vehicle problems out there which can be very serious.
Researching not only the brand but the exact model and trim level has become more important these past 10 years.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:18 am
smitcat wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 am

Yes, that's the question car buyers should be asking themselves instead of looking to the past. Soichiro Honda was the founder of Honda Motor Company and was an engineer. Not the same company now.
Are you going to participate in the handicapping of better selections?
FWIW - I met Shigeo Shingo many years back when he was paramount in the development of modern day SPC at Toyota/Hino.
If he were still alive today he and his team would tell you that nothing is perfect and there is always a deviation from the mean.
The question always is what are you going to do about it.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

The warranty extension is primarily to reassure vehicle owners who may be concerned by varying oil levels in these engines, said Honda spokesman Chris Martin in an email. “Abnormal oil dilution remains extremely rare, especially outside of extremely cold weather,” Martin said.
For an extremely rare event, this has certainly generated a quite generous number of complaints and comments all over the internet. And if it is so "extremely rare" I wonder why Honda can't just take care of the few random customers here-and-there with this problem and be done with it? Just replace their rare mutant vehicle with a good one. Or could this be just the same BS??
ShoogyBee

Post by ShoogyBee »

CULater wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:40 pm
I wonder why Honda can't just take care of the few random customers here-and-there with this problem and be done with it?
Because either they don't know how to fix the problem, or it will cost them much more money than they are willing to spend per vehicle. It's really that simple.

Auto manufacturer warranties are not bulletproof. All it takes is the dealer to say that it's working as designed or it's working within manufacturer specifications. At that point there isn't much that you can do aside from getting lawyers involved.

It could be months or years before Honda is willing or forced to fix your CR-V. Given that late spring or early summer is a good time to switch to a different vehicle (getting close to the next model year, so incentives will be higher on average), I'd suggest that you move on to something else while you still can.

donfairplay

Post by donfairplay »

prd1982 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 am This thread has a very negative tone on Honda, driven primarily by one issue. Some folks believe the problem still exists; others, including Honda, do not. The CRV continues to get great reviews. Consumers Reports gives the 2018 CRV a 4-out-of-5 rating for reliability. I'm pretty sure you can find a thread for any auto model that says the model is terrible. People looking for a new auto should read this thread. But they should also check CR, Edmunds, etc.
Consumer Reports also said the oil dilution in the CRV is a pretty big problem for the affected models, according to their youtube channel and three articles on the Consumer Reports website:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... out-plans/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... o-engines/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... e-trouble/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzZm5j1Bl8
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

well Honda has lost sales from 3 people in my immediate family because of this issue. Maybe they should have been more proactive on this issue.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

So, did Honda's 1.5T warranty extension amount to a "secret warranty", until Consumer Reports got hold of the memo to Honda service departments? Kinda smells like it. Were they going to notify owners of this warranty extension, or will that come about because their cover was blown by CR? If you don't know about this and you take your vehicle into Honda for repairs related to this defect, WILL you end up paying yourself? I'll be interested in whether I ever get a notification from Honda about this extension, and whether it will just be going out to squeaky wheels like me or to all the bozos as well?
What is a secret warranty?
Auto companies hate the term secret warranties. They call them policy adjustments, good will programs, service campaigns or extended warranties . But whatever they are called, they are a longstanding industry practice. When a car company has a major defect that occurs after its written warranty expires, it establishes an adjustment policy to pay for repairs rather than deal with many thousands, if not millions, of complaints on a case by case basis. But the auto company communicates the policy only to regional offices and not even always to its dealers. The auto manufacturers never notify the consumer; so only the consumer who complains loudly enough gets covered by the secret warranty. Other consumers end up bearing the costs of the manufacturer’s mistakes.

But it is known that the regulatory climate has been very favorable to the automakers since 1980. Furthermore, secret warranties are viewed by the automakers as an effective tool to maintain good customer relations. Loyal customers and customers that complain loudly and persistently are rewarded. Other consumers get saddled with repair costs caused by the manufacturers’ mistakes.

In order to protect consumers from undisclosed defects, five states (California, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia, and Wisconsin) have enacted secret warranty laws and other states are considering secret warranty legislation. The state secret warranty laws already enacted require manufacturers to disclose their “warranty adjustment” programs by giving direct notice of any warranty extension to affected owners, including information about the terms of the warranty, and provision for reimbursement to consumers who already have paid for the covered repair. Until all states enact and enforce secret warranty laws, consumers will be kept in the dark about secret warranties.

How to Use a Secret Warranty
After determining that your vehicle is covered by a secret warranty, the next step is to take advantage of your knowledge. The best way to do this is to take the service bulletin that proves the existence of the secret warranty with you when you go to your dealer to get the defect repaired. Without the bulletin, you will have a much more difficult time getting the dealer to repair your vehicle free of charge.
https://www.autosafety.org/secret-warranties/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed several off-topic posts discussing alternative replacement vehicles. The discussion was getting derailed.

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

The issue with the 1.5T Honda engine is not whether it has a serious defect - we know that it does. The issue is who pays for costs related to this defect - the manufacturer or you. If you just want rid of it and trade for something else that's a cost borne by you, but you may feel it's worth paying that cost. Or, you can decide not to bear that cost and keep the vehicle for awhile longer.

So, here are some thoughts to consider if you have a 2017-2019 CRV or a 2016-2019 Civic with the 1.5T engine and you've decided to hang onto it for awhile longer.

1) if you've not already done so, make sure you've gone to your dealer service department and let them know that you know about the issue. And insist that your vehicle be checked and that any and all service related to the defect has been performed, such as the software update. Get as much as you can documented in writing on your service reports.

2) Make sure that you regularly check and document evidence that your vehicle is affected. Check the oil level regularly and keep a record. Take pictures of the oil level on the dipstick if it's above the full mark.

3) If you're inclined, perform regular oil analyses to document fuel contamination of the oil

4) Download and save all the articles, TSBs, etc. related to the issue. There are 3 Consumer Reports articles and many others. There are hundreds of written complaints on Carcomplaints. com and other sites. There are the TSBs from Honda related to the software "fix." There is the recent April 5 memo from Honda to dealer service departments detailing the "warranty extension."

5) Open a case number with Honda Corp customer service on your vehicle.

You should anticipate that you will need stand up for yourself with Honda and your Honda dealer to avoid getting stuck with service and repair costs related to this engine defect, and you should have collected all the ammunition that you can to avoid that. They have not assisted or cooperated with me in any way, and that's what you should expect especially if it comes to expensive service and repairs.

The issue is not whether there is a major defect with this engine. The issue is "who pays for it, you or them?"
Last edited by CULater on Fri May 31, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dspencer

Post by dspencer »

CULater wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:54 am So, did Honda's 1.5T warranty extension amount to a "secret warranty", until Consumer Reports got hold of the memo to Honda service departments? Kinda smells like it. Were they going to notify owners of this warranty extension, or will that come about because their cover was blown by CR? If you don't know about this and you take your vehicle into Honda for repairs related to this defect, WILL you end up paying yourself? I'll be interested in whether I ever get a notification from Honda about this extension, and whether it will just be going out to squeaky wheels like me or to all the bozos as well?
What is a secret warranty?
Auto companies hate the term secret warranties. They call them policy adjustments, good will programs, service campaigns or extended warranties . But whatever they are called, they are a longstanding industry practice. When a car company has a major defect that occurs after its written warranty expires, it establishes an adjustment policy to pay for repairs rather than deal with many thousands, if not millions, of complaints on a case by case basis. But the auto company communicates the policy only to regional offices and not even always to its dealers. The auto manufacturers never notify the consumer; so only the consumer who complains loudly enough gets covered by the secret warranty. Other consumers end up bearing the costs of the manufacturer’s mistakes.

But it is known that the regulatory climate has been very favorable to the automakers since 1980. Furthermore, secret warranties are viewed by the automakers as an effective tool to maintain good customer relations. Loyal customers and customers that complain loudly and persistently are rewarded. Other consumers get saddled with repair costs caused by the manufacturers’ mistakes.

In order to protect consumers from undisclosed defects, five states (California, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia, and Wisconsin) have enacted secret warranty laws and other states are considering secret warranty legislation. The state secret warranty laws already enacted require manufacturers to disclose their “warranty adjustment” programs by giving direct notice of any warranty extension to affected owners, including information about the terms of the warranty, and provision for reimbursement to consumers who already have paid for the covered repair. Until all states enact and enforce secret warranty laws, consumers will be kept in the dark about secret warranties.

How to Use a Secret Warranty
After determining that your vehicle is covered by a secret warranty, the next step is to take advantage of your knowledge. The best way to do this is to take the service bulletin that proves the existence of the secret warranty with you when you go to your dealer to get the defect repaired. Without the bulletin, you will have a much more difficult time getting the dealer to repair your vehicle free of charge.
https://www.autosafety.org/secret-warranties/
It does not seem like it to me. I assume they would wait until later on to establish that. Maybe if someone complains loudly after the 6 year warranty is over, there will be a "secret warranty" that lets the dealers repair similar issues for several more years.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

ShoogyBee wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:29 am
CULater wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:40 pm
I wonder why Honda can't just take care of the few random customers here-and-there with this problem and be done with it?
Because either they don't know how to fix the problem, or it will cost them much more money than they are willing to spend per vehicle. It's really that simple.

Auto manufacturer warranties are not bulletproof. All it takes is the dealer to say that it's working as designed or it's working within manufacturer specifications. At that point there isn't much that you can do aside from getting lawyers involved.

It could be months or years before Honda is willing or forced to fix your CR-V. Given that late spring or early summer is a good time to switch to a different vehicle (getting close to the next model year, so incentives will be higher on average), I'd suggest that you move on to something else while you still can.

"I'd suggest that you move on to something else while you still can."
Absolutely the best idea for those that have the 1.5 engine and also have oil dilution and do not want to deal with the issue.
All of the friends I have with this engine (CRV and others) do not have this issue so there is no need in that case.
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

I wouldn't be so sure about not having the issue without performing an oil analysis. Cost $30-$35 to find out and document in case engine problems start emerging later to help avoid getting stuck with the tab by Honda. In the game of defects, they want you to pay for it. You need to conduct due diligence to help assure that they pay.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

CULater wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:46 am I wouldn't be so sure about not having the issue without performing an oil analysis. Cost $30-$35 to find out and document in case engine problems start emerging later to help avoid getting stuck with the tab by Honda. In the game of defects, they want you to pay for it. You need to conduct due diligence to help assure that they pay.
Would you not need to perform an oil analysis on any vehicle engine then?
How would anyone know if there engine of any make is potentially having issues if they did not have an oil analysis done?

Did your Honda CRV 1.5 engine oil analysis detail any high concentrations of metals and/or other wear items?
If yes - what were there exact %'s and what was the analysis labs suggested outcome?
Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater »

smitcat wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:32 am
CULater wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:46 am I wouldn't be so sure about not having the issue without performing an oil analysis. Cost $30-$35 to find out and document in case engine problems start emerging later to help avoid getting stuck with the tab by Honda. In the game of defects, they want you to pay for it. You need to conduct due diligence to help assure that they pay.
Would you not need to perform an oil analysis on any vehicle engine then?
How would anyone know if there engine of any make is potentially having issues if they did not have an oil analysis done?

Did your Honda CRV 1.5 engine oil analysis detail any high concentrations of metals and/or other wear items?
If yes - what were there exact %'s and what was the analysis labs suggested outcome?
If I were owner of a vehicle with a notorious fuel leaking into oil problem, yes I'd perform an oil analysis.