[What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Supergrover

Re: [What UN-frugal thing do you do? What do you splurge on?]

Post by Supergrover »

Vogatrice wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:15 am Professional landscaping. For 30 years, my husband said we couldn’t afford it. I planted one tree, messed about in a very few pots, and paid someone to come cut a stupid amount of boring grass. Now, I’m going to have the full meal deal - professional design, someone to do all the installation, and a pizza oven. I don’t really care what it costs.

Having said that, we have downsized to a VLCOL location, pocketed two thirds of our home equity, pay zero property tax and 7% income tax. Our daily running costs were slashed during lockdowns. We haven’t restarted travel. And I’m choking on small increases in day to day expenses. But I WILL have my beautiful outdoor space finally!
GOOD FOR YOU! ENJOY!
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

We live in Miami, "The Cruising Capital of the World." Whenever we have the time (and money) we take a cruise (Including two world cruises).

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Presumably you are accumulating money now and putting money away for the future. Do not, under any circumstances, stop doing that. That is the first rule. Don't stop investing.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

For the third year in a row I am treating family and a dear friend to a meal at a high-end steak place here in Tampa.

This Saturday we will be a party of 12 at Bern's, followed by a visit to the dessert room, with dessert drinks/coffees, and goodies galore.

It is nice to see all the ladies spiffed-up in their finery, and I even shave, though reluctantly. :D

Always a great experience, good food, good service, good company, grandkids on their best behavior.

I'll see first hand the inflation that seems to be afoot.

I'll take the opportunity to try some gins recommended in a recent thread for my martini(s).

Hopefully I won't have a heart attack when the bill is presented.

Money is like blood, you need to keep it circulating. Money spent on family/friends makes me happy.

DW and I were in the Tampa area for years before we went to Bern's. Early on Western Sizzler was more appropriate.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
VeryBlessedCali

Post by VeryBlessedCali »

Samsung TheFrame TV. Quite spectacular.
Samsung Galaxy BookPro Laptop. It's like a Macbook on steroids.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra... you get the picture.

Have a Blessed Day!
prioritarian

Post by prioritarian »

I eat out/take-out 1-2 times per week and drink 7-12 glasses of fermented grape juice each week.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

topper1296 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:33 am Just bought a jar of Luxardo cocktail cherries for my old fashions. If you entertain and/or just want to have a great addition to your own cocktails, I highly recommend getting a jar of them and the best buy date is 3 years away so they last a long time. :sharebeer
I agree. During the worst of the pandemic, we were sort of stuck at home. So I got into making cocktails for me and the wife. My favorite drink, out of all the experiments, turned out to be a rum old fashioned. Last Christmas she gifted me a jar of Luxardo cherries. Wow! What a difference. A thousand times better than those neon red dyed things in the past. Needless to say, they are on my Christmas wish list again this year.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

Oysters by mail

House rental on the water every year with family
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

WOW.. Only on bogleheads. thread is "what do you splurge on" and the OP asked years ago not to just say "I bought more VTI"

I spent 5 minutes skimming the last 12 pages and of course its a lot of " I paid an extra $10 for tax software" and "I traded my 20 year old Civic in for a 5 year old civic" :oops:

Let me show you how this is done...
My main hobby is remote control model airplanes and helicopters. I have spent probably $20,000-30,000 on models and support equipment in the last 20 years. Yes 5 figures on toys :) There are some Ive spend 3-5k just building a single model. I've spent $1000 on just the remote handheld. AI know people who spend 5x this much and have massive trucks and trailers just to haul it all around, I am far from the worst.

I like music. I used to collect vintage audio gear. When I was 22 and barely making $45k at my first job I spent over $1,000 on a vintage McIntosh power amplifier. That would be like dropping 5k on a receiver today.

When our 10 year old TV died I decided I was old enough that I wanted the best so I dropped $2k on a 65 inch LG. I didn't even wait for Black Friday.

My wife decided she wants an upgrade to her DSLR for an upcoming trip so I ordered the new Canon T8i and a nice new 18-135 Lens to go with in ($1500ish)

We don't travel as often as many bogleheads, but when we go somewhere we travel well and don't fool around. I pay extra for direct flights. We stay in good mid-high end hotels close to the attractions. Next year we are going to Yellowstone and d$#*&$ I'm staying at the Old Faithful Inn so I don't have to drive 2 hours each way to see it. that trip will cost us 10k+. If we take the kids to Disney I'm not staying at the Orlando Holiday Inn... I'm staying on property at the Polynesian or the Contemporary. That will cost us 10-15k and I don't care.

We bought 3x salary in house (HCOL). Probably dropped nearly 50k on renovations and fixing deferred maintenance in the first 3 years. Another 30-40k+ planned for the next couple years.

Before I get kicked off the board for violating the unwritten frugal rules. I paid my own way though college. My parents and my wifes parents are all broke and wont leave us a dime. I am not a doctor, I do not work in finance, I don't make a 500k FAANG salary. And even with all that and the spending above we should easily be able to retire at 55.

Moral of the story... stop worrying so much and enjoy life a little. There is no prize in heaven for dying with the most unrealized gains in your IRA. :sharebeer
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jharkin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:25 am Let me show you how this is done.
Good job! I share your interests except for the RC one. Slot in spending big $ on batteries for our house to power the geothermal and other electrical needs. If the grid is down and the batteries drain and the sun doesn’t come out, we have propane generators to recharge the batteries.

And the most non frugal aspect of this is that I don’t know what we’ve spent on it. It’s a six digit amount, but I don’t know the first digit (except that it’s not 0).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

jharkin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:25 am Let me show you how this is done...
You're missing one major hobby - high-end home theater. I mean true audiophile quality, not anything you can find at Best Buy. I've dropped more dollars into this simply because I want to reproduce the complete video and audio experience in my home as the producers intended.

A true viewing and listening experience starts with your home environment. Something like this: At Home - THX No TVs mounted over the fireplace.

I don't have anything like that, but I position the speakers and display as close as possible to that configuration.* Lighting and adjusting the room for minimal sound reflection is critical.

I don't go to the movies because I can do better. I'm fully immersed in the environment with zero distractions by other people. Also, I can eat and drink whatever I want. I enjoy that as much as watching the movie.

Another thing I splurge on is building my own high-end computers.

* I only have a 5.1 surround system because that's what fits in the room. The subwoofer is in the rear.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:35 am
jharkin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:25 am Let me show you how this is done.
Slot in spending big $ on batteries for our house to power the geothermal and other electrical needs. If the grid is down and the batteries drain and the sun doesn’t come out, we have propane generators to recharge the batteries.
I didn't do the batteries (we have discussed this in a few threads) but I did spend about 25k net of incentives to put up 7kW of solar and replace one AC zone with a MItsubishi hyper heat. Not even sure I added that into the numbers above.

Thing is, I don't really consider those splurges because they will pay for themselves in about 5-7 years.

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:49 am You're missing one major hobby - high-end home theater. I mean true audiophile quality, not anything you can find at Best Buy. I've dropped more dollars into this simply because I want to reproduce the complete video and audio experience in my home as the producers intended.

A true viewing and listening experience starts with your home environment. Something like this: At Home - THX No TVs mounted over the fireplace.
Excellent point. I too *hate* TVs over the fireplace with a passion. The 65 is down in the basement on a TV stand that places it about 10 ft from the couch and decently eye-level. I am overdue to upgrade the audio. Right now its hooked up to a mid range Marantz 5.1 receiver with older NHT front/surrount speakers and an inexpensive sub. Eventually I'd like to wall mount the TV and either do upgraded speakers or wall built ins. Challenge is the layout is kind of tight and irregular.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ If you want to do this right, the only place you need look is here: AVS Forum It's my go-to forum for all things video and audio.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:09 pm ^^^ If you want to do this right, the only place you need look is here: AVS Forum It's my go-to forum for all things video and audio.
I like AVSforum a good bit, but they’re bass crazy over there :D

I only have two subwoofers in my HT and one in my music listening room. They think I’m deprived and deaf; they actually have people with more than 8 subs in one room!

I have a small HT, but have added 4, soon to be 6, height speakers for Atmos. It’s easier to place speakers on the ceiling (or bounced off the ceiling) even if there’s not much room on floor or ear level.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

jharkin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:25 am
Let me show you how this is done...

Next year we are going to Yellowstone and d$#*&$ I'm staying at the Old Faithful Inn so I don't have to drive 2 hours each way to see it. that trip will cost us 10k+....
First, thank you for almost making me feel like a bona fide Boglehead :beer

Second, I've posted this elsewhere on the forum before, but several years ago we stayed a couple of nights at the Old Faithful Inn. Well worth it imo. One morning DW got up very early to go hiking among the geysers. Her favorite memory of that trip was happening to walk out of the inn just as Old Faithful was starting to do its thing. She walked over to watch and looked around to see that absolutely nobody else was in sight. She thought it was terrific to have that moment all to herself. She still raves about that and recommends trying to replicate it to anyone visiting Yellowstone.

Her second memorable experience on that hike was running across an obviously fresh (and large) bear track on one of the boardwalks.

We also spent a night at the Lake Hotel. It was pretty forgettable except for a wonderful view of the moon over the lake.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I just bought a 77” LG OLED TV and am having it professionally mounted next week. Oh and I will upgrade to the pricier Netflix 4k plan. :D
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

My girlfriend had surgery last week and we paid for a home health aide to stay with her overnight for the first week post-surgery.
Total cost: less than $2k.
Best splurge ever - it has let me get decent sleep in another bedroom and be refreshed for the other 16 hours of the day that I spend attending to her needs instead of her waking me up every time she needs something during the night, and I don't get woken up every time her ice or compression machines come on.
I have a heart condition that can be triggered by either lack of sleep or by excessive stress, and both those risk factors are greatly reduced by this.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

We just bought a 65" LG OLED TV! Already mounted and looking great, now have to think about upgrading to netflix 4k plan :oops:
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:18 pm For the third year in a row I am treating family and a dear friend to a meal at a high-end steak place here in Tampa.

This Saturday we will be a party of 12 at Bern's, followed by a visit to the dessert room, with dessert drinks/coffees, and goodies galore.

It is nice to see all the ladies spiffed-up in their finery, and I even shave, though reluctantly. :D

Always a great experience, good food, good service, good company, grandkids on their best behavior.

I'll take the opportunity to try some gins recommended in a recent thread for my martini(s).

Money is like blood, you need to keep it circulating. Money spent on family/friends makes me happy.

DW and I were in the Tampa area for years before we went to Bern's. Early on Western Sizzler was more appropriate.

Broken Man 1999
That's very cool. I've heard about Bern's for years. They're supposed to have a legendary wine cellar. :beer

Enjoy!
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Artful Dodger wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:34 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:18 pm For the third year in a row I am treating family and a dear friend to a meal at a high-end steak place here in Tampa.

Broken Man 1999
That's very cool. I've heard about Bern's for years. They're supposed to have a legendary wine cellar. :beer

Enjoy!
Thank you!

Yes indeed, their wine cellar is pretty special, DW and other family members have checked it out. I can't get in, as the entrance and aisles are too narrow. :(

DW and I thought we were paying, but the family paid instead, though we picked up the visit to the dessert room.

Our friend had 50 long-stemmed roses on our table in the dessert room.

Great outing!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Ordered an extended range, all wheel drive, red Mustang Mach-E.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I’m sure some of you have heard of the term sneakerhead. I’m a bit of a sneakerhead and have spent a good sum of money on shoes over the last couple of years. I’ve passed my love of sneakers to my wife and she now gets excited when I get her a nice pair of sneakers. The sneakers I purchase generally aren’t available at your local shoe store. I’m on eBay, StockX and other sites purchasing shoes.
digit8

Post by digit8 »

Books are the big one for me- mathematically I have more than I’ll ever finish now but I can’t resist picking up new ones.
The other biggie is grocery delivery. Inflated cost to the groceries and we always overtip out of guilt….but no more forcing ourselves through the store on a packed Friday night after a tough week at work. Instead, we have a date Saturday morning. Leisurely breakfast, watch a movie, and everything is at the door for us afterward. I’d keep it going at twice the price.
"You can't latte yourself to bankruptcy. The bladder won't allow it." | -Katherine Porter
FlatSix

Post by FlatSix »

70k aircooled Porsche 911, bought 1.5 years ago, now worth 100k+ because of crazy collector car markets. Doesn’t matter to me though, I’ll never sell. Drive it about 3k miles/yr, whenever I can. Totally unnecessary but so much fun to drive and work on.

Still considering court-side NBA tickets later this year.

Also like to splurge on accommodations when traveling. Renting out a luxurious Airbnb make us all so comfortable and happy.

We work hard and save over 50% of gross so we don’t feel guilty spending the rest on experiences and conveniences.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

I have reached the point in my life when I can afford to fly first class. I am never flying coach again.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

On line subscriptions to Tampa bay times, Syracuse paper, Washington Post, NY times, and Wall Street journal.
digit8

Post by digit8 »

MN-Investor wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:43 pm I have reached the point in my life when I can afford to fly first class. I am never flying coach again.
100 percent. Flying isn’t something I do often and was always a bad experience for me until a friend convinced me to go first class on a trip we took. No going back from that, but I’m an infrequent traveler so it’s not a budget breaker by any means.
"You can't latte yourself to bankruptcy. The bladder won't allow it." | -Katherine Porter
1moreyr

Post by 1moreyr »

I need to frame this for you so you understand this was a big deal to me.

I have spent my life buying the most "overall value "new car that i keep for at least 7 years

1. It has to be in the highest reliability ratings of Consumer Reports or I don't even look at it
2. It has to get gas mileage of 30MPG or I don't look at it.
3. The overall price needs to be a value. it may not be the absolute cheapest car but I have to convince myself that every option i add was worth adding to the car.
4. DW and I have been driving subarus for the last 25 years and have had 6 of them or 3 each over that time. (all purchased new and kept to 7+ years/ 100K miles minimum). my 2 sons had one each as hand me downs and went 200K plus on them.

I have never spent over $29K for a car in my life.......last 2 cars were $22k and $28k.........until now.

I bought a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for $48K...so .at 58 YO with 60X expenses and still working until 1/31/22 I decided to let loose.

1. Jeeps are not known for their reliability or practicality
2. Gas miles is 20mpg-22mpg at best
3. It has to be one of the most overpriced cars in the market . I feel fortunate i got one for MSRP as most are selling for 2-5K over.(which i would never do)
4. we are in the middle of a gas price runup that i haven't seen since early 2000s

but it's making me smile everyday..... I am taking it off road this Sunday and I will maybe have 200 miles on it when it hits the dirt.....

if all this doesn't make you cringe, you are not a true boglehead :D :D
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

I go to a lot of concerts. Some years I would go to 10-12 Billy Joel shows. However, I love music so it is worth it and therapeutic for me.
1moreyr

Post by 1moreyr »

Lou Sevens wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:25 am I go to a lot of concerts. Some years I would go to 10-12 Billy Joel shows. However, I love music so it is worth it and therapeutic for me.
I’m a big billy Joel fan myself. But it’s been years since I’ve seen him live! Sounds awesome!
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Running shoes and running gear. I do not buy the $180 running shoes, I do just fine with the $130 shoes.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
TheoBanana

Post by TheoBanana »

First class airfare - we fly about twice a year on average. Bicycles - bought a Wilier Filante SLR early this year.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

BeachPerson wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:22 am Running shoes and running gear. I do not buy the $180 running shoes, I do just fine with the $130 shoes.
Then maybe you should have posted in the frugal thread 😄
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

1moreyr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:02 am
Lou Sevens wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:25 am I go to a lot of concerts. Some years I would go to 10-12 Billy Joel shows. However, I love music so it is worth it and therapeutic for me.
I’m a big billy Joel fan myself. But it’s been years since I’ve seen him live! Sounds awesome!
I am hopefully going in 3 1/2 weeks- it will be close to 2 years by then !
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Sounds fun! My older daughter is a big Billy Joel fan, and about ten years ago I flew her home so we could attend one his concerts together at a local venue.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

The bike shop I visit has a policy “for $5 we can provide you a receipt that says the price you told your wife you’d be paying.” There’s that.
HVAC
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

makingmistakes wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:19 am
BeachPerson wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:22 am Running shoes and running gear. I do not buy the $180 running shoes, I do just fine with the $130 shoes.
Then maybe you should have posted in the frugal thread 😄
I get $65 ASICS on Amazon and they’re great.

This year because of WFH I bought Minnetonka women’s London slippers in charcoal. They are plush inside, super soft. $39-44, depending on the size. House slippers hadn’t really been a category for me until WFH but when in Rome…

My splurges are bottled water, cream vitamins and fancy cooking oils (La Tourangelle, nice packaging). Next week I’m getting peppermint hot chocolate mix and gingerbread on sale from a high end place. Used to splurge on travel, gyms and spas.

Last year, I bought myself a very nice $220 Ann Taylor handbag , barely used, online for $54. It’s very nice. A step up from my $10-35 handbags of the past three decades. It was my first time trying a resale site but I had a very good experience. I never got on the mega expensive handbag train and I’m glad I didn’t.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

At the grocery, buying expensive imported cheese, because it's worth it for me. Israeli Feta, hard Italian cheeses, Havarti and Gouda from Denmark/Netherlands. Those don't have comparable American substitutes. The flavors are intense and you can't get them anywhere else.
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:08 am At the grocery, buying expensive imported cheese, because it's worth it for me. Israeli Feta, hard Italian cheeses, Havarti and Gouda from Denmark/Netherlands. Those don't have comparable American substitutes. The flavors are intense and you can't get them anywhere else.
In my opinion good cheese is frugal. Small amounts have very strong flavor and in the end is not expensive.
I never buy anything from airports but in one of the last trips I bought a small wheel of delicious truffle goat Dutch cheese in Amsterdam. This one was not particularly frugal because, while delicious, the flavour is not as strong as in a blue or hard cheese, so it's easy to eat more of it.
Monsterflockster

What is your "nice" thing you don't mind splurging on?

Post by Monsterflockster »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

While we are generally savors, living below our means, maxing out retirement,etc. the thing I REALLY like spending money on is bikes. Even when I got a new bike I am looking at the new models the next year. For my brother its bourbon. Cuts coupons but has no problem dropping $500 on a good bottle. My other bother it is his car.

I guess we all have our thing. Just curious as to what kinda things Boggleheads don't mind spending a little extra money on.
Last edited by Monsterflockster on Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlphaLess

Re: What is your "nice" thing you don't mind splurging on?

Post by AlphaLess »

Nutrition and exercise.

I splurge in nutrition sparingly, and in exercise plentifully.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Making my wife happy.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
ButtFear

Post by ButtFear »

Mountain bikes and going on trips to use them.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I never skimp on shoes; but I don't view that as splurging. Always wear comfortable shoes -- most people spend a lot of their lives on their feet.

As far as true splurge, sport optics (binoculars, spotting scope).
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Quite honestly, the only thing is my running shoes.

4 pairs per year. Though, I never pay full price, but they are more or less the only clothes I buy for me during the year.

Well, maybe also Kraft brand Miracle Whip. I buy store brand everything, but not Miracle Whip :)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AlphaLess wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm Nutrition and exercise.

+1. My garage gym costed a lot more than the single car than my wife and I share, and our bikes (all of them combined) weren't a whole lot less.
vas

Post by vas »

Not sure if this qualifies as "nice" exactly but I'm planning to pursue a private pilot license this year followed by a sailplane certification. Completely selfish and unnecessary expense but its been a dream for many years.
“For every complex problem, there is a solution that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:45 pm
AlphaLess wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:38 pm Nutrition and exercise.

+1. My garage gym costed a lot more than the single car than my wife and I share, and our bikes (all of them combined) weren't a whole lot less.
Glad to hear. :sharebeer Keep up the good work!

My investment thesis starts with the following:

- live to age XYZ (I don't want to specify here),
- celebrate NYE at Times Square once I pass some threshold of age,
- do 100 push-ups at that age, easily.

What is the point of the investment thesis if I am not going to live long.

My other "hobby" is lifespan improvement.

Good asset base and solid portfolio management is NOT the end. It is means to the end.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

A good anejo.
Murdock7591

Post by Murdock7591 »

New Fly Fishing gear
Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown »

Shrimp!