What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
quantAndHold

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by quantAndHold »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:43 pm Yesterday I got more than 99% off a prescription. Kroger full price was $1100. I used Amazon Prime RX discount card at Costco to bring the price to $9.50.

I also saved by having my doctor change the prescription for a higher quantity with less refills. This often saves a lot of money depending on your insurance or discount programs. In this case I got 3 times as many pills for 50 cents more.

The difference in prescription prices that aren't covered by insurance can be crazy. This prescription could have been covered by my insurance but would have required getting approval (which isn't fast and is a hassle for me and my doctor) and the co-pay would have been more than what I paid out of pocket with the discount card.

The funny thing is I was going to pick up the prescription at Kroger using a GoodRx coupon when I got an email telling me about Prime RX which I had never heard of before.
Another thing my wife did was check prices on various sizes of the same pill. Turned out that the pill for 2x the dosage she takes was only 10% more than the price for her dosage, and the pills can be broken in half. So she had the doc write a prescription for 45 of the bigger dosage, and she breaks them in half.

For her, Costco + GoodRX is cheapest, but she shops around every single time.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Gooch1226 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 pm Ordered breaks and rotors from eBay .. for $199 and having my mechanic put them on for $150. Beats $900 from the dealer .
$150 for front and rear labor? that's a great price!
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

helloeveryone wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:59 pm
Gooch1226 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 pm Ordered breaks and rotors from eBay .. for $199 and having my mechanic put them on for $150. Beats $900 from the dealer .
$150 for front and rear labor? that's a great price!
I'm assuming only one axle, not front & rear. I'm also assuming brakes, not breaks, were ordered. :wink:
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:43 pm Yesterday I got more than 99% off a prescription. Kroger full price was $1100. I used Amazon Prime RX discount card at Costco to bring the price to $9.50.

I also saved by having my doctor change the prescription for a higher quantity with less refills. This often saves a lot of money depending on your insurance or discount programs. In this case I got 3 times as many pills for 50 cents more.

The difference in prescription prices that aren't covered by insurance can be crazy. This prescription could have been covered by my insurance but would have required getting approval (which isn't fast and is a hassle for me and my doctor) and the co-pay would have been more than what I paid out of pocket with the discount card.

The funny thing is I was going to pick up the prescription at Kroger using a GoodRx coupon when I got an email telling me about Prime RX which I had never heard of before.
I didn't know Amazon had a Prime RX card. I wonder if there is a way to request this (didn't receive an email about this yet.) TIA if anyone knows.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm

I didn't know Amazon had a Prime RX card. I wonder if there is a way to request this (didn't receive an email about this yet.) TIA if anyone knows.
https://www.amazon.com/primerx

I don't think they will send you a card, but in the upper right corner there is a link "View Rx Savings Card." As implied by the name, this is only available to Amazon Prime members.

Like other discount cards, it is entered like insurance (same fields as on an insurance card for pharmacy) into the pharmacy's system. I believe I won't have to present it again if I go to the same pharmacy, but I am not positive of that.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

michaeljc70:

Thanks for the Amazon Prime RX info. I'll check it out.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:11 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:08 pm

https://www.amazon.com/primerx

I don't think they will send you a card, but in the upper right corner there is a link "View Rx Savings Card." As implied by the name, this is only available to Amazon Prime members.

Like other discount cards, it is entered like insurance (same fields as on an insurance card for pharmacy) into the pharmacy's system. I believe I won't have to present it again if I go to the same pharmacy, but I am not positive of that.
I recently looked into Prime Rx too, and while it was more expensive than my current Rx deductibles and I won't be using them for now, it wasn't that much more expensive. A very good deal for the items I looked up.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

Created a living trust for the purpose of buying more i bond this morning. I will get it notarized on Monday. It's free in townhall.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Got a free stationary exercise bike from a neighbor. The bike didn't have any resistance so I called customer service to troubleshoot. Ended up ordering a replacement servo motor for $50 and replaced it myself. Bike now works as good as new and it currently sells for $650 from major retailers.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

The young man who helps me with my leaves also does the house across the street. He brought their leaves over and mulched them and then raked them into piles with my help. Now I have lots of leaf mulch.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne »

Not so much today but this season I'm collecting firewood from downed trees in my back lot. I never realized how much firewood is just sitting on the ground. I've been heating my house this season for only a few dollars in gas/oil for my chainsaw and ATV.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Created a living trust for the purpose of buying more i bond this morning. I will get it notarized on Monday. It's free in townhall.

The notarization is free I assume - was there a cost involved in setting up the trust? thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
virgingorda

Post by virgingorda »

brandy wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:12 pm
virgingorda wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am So we put the turkey carcass in the wooded area out back for foxes and coyotes. It was gone by morning!
At first this sounds like a great idea, then remember that animals should not be fed cooked bones as they can/will splinter and cause internal injury. Please don't do that... :(
Actually -- no kidding! -- one of the guests was a zookeeper who did not object to this plan. (You make a very important point, but if you saw this carcass, I don't think you would have been concerned either.)
smatter

Post by smatter »

Got an extra 40% off a probably mismarked and barely played “Preowned” set of Titleist T400 irons at PGA Superstore today. They sell new for $1399. Paid $480 out the door!

If I don’t like ‘em, I can flip them for a profit…
D. C. Pline

Post by D. C. Pline »

Pulled out two calendars, one from 1994 and one from 2005, to use for 2022.

Put aside the ones I used in 2021 until 2027.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

D. C. Pline wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:14 pm Pulled out two calendars, one from 1994 and one from 2005, to use for 2022.

Put aside the ones I used in 2021 until 2027.
I'm not organized enough to do this, but I did replace all of my household and workplace calendars with freebies that were either sent to me as promotional gifts or free ones from my church.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I don't know whether this falls under "sour grapes" or turning "lemons into lemonade". Either way, it's easy to accept.

Recently got a new CC from my CU. It pays 3% on groceries, gas, and a user-selected category, 1% on everything else---easy 50% boost over Citi 2%. Then noticed that it will pay an additional $100 if I spend $1500 in the first 3mos on it. I usually use these opportunities (rotating 5% categories) to buy grocery gift cards (max benefit: $75/yr = 5% x $1500).

So was again going to buy gift cards, but local grocery will no longer allow their gift cards to be bought with CCs---cash or debit only, which doesn't help me.

Was first disappointed. But now I'm a little relieved that I no longer need to jump through this hoop. Why? The benefit was never that great. And I was always worried buying a bunch of grocery gift cards than might not be used for several months. Why? Anyone (store clerk) who knows the number can empty it. So was never relaxed until I'd spent the last gift card.

So while I'm a little disappointed, I'm more relieved. So will not be wasting time/worry playing this game going forward. So small "yea!".
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I changed engine oil in my car today.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

We slept on air mattresses while visiting the wife’s parents for the holidays rather than get a hotel. Bought some very nice bourbon with the savings so didn’t really save anything.
dj420

Post by dj420 »

i didnt go to starbucks so saved in gas+coffee money. feeling happy about new habit building.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Fixed my kitchen cabinet door that had stopped closing all the way. I tried fiddling with the adjustment screws on the hinges, but nothing I did made any difference that I could notice. Then I took an old magnetic calendar off my refrigerator, cut some pieces to size and removed the backing, and put them in place with double-sided sticky tape. That almost worked, but the sticky tape kept coming loose, so now I'm holding them down with masking tape. Total cost: stuff I already had on hand.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Made a pot of delicious espresso for 12 cents (Pilon @ $10.11 for a 2 lb, 4 oz tub that lasts 3 months, 80 days to be conservative).

Worked out for free to a YouTube exercise video.

Sunbathed for free (dad’s sun room) on the coldest day of the year.

Did my own laundry by hand (it’s not that hard!)

Meditated for free with a YouTube video.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:41 am Made a pot of delicious espresso for 12 cents (Pilon @ $10.11 for a 2 lb, 4 oz tub that lasts 3 months, 80 days to be conservative).

Sunbathed for free (dad’s sun room).

And it's not even 1 p.m. EST!
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

mikejuss wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:41 am Made a pot of delicious espresso for 12 cents (Pilon @ $10.11 for a 2 lb, 4 oz tub that lasts 3 months, 80 days to be conservative).

Sunbathed for free (dad’s sun room).

And it's not even 1 p.m. EST!
Early to bed, early to rise Mike! 😅

I’m like a modern urban prairie pioneer!

And it’s strong espresso!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

dratkinson wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:13 pm I don't know whether this falls under "sour grapes" or turning "lemons into lemonade". Either way, it's easy to accept.

Recently got a new CC from my CU. It pays 3% on groceries, gas, and a user-selected category, 1% on everything else---easy 50% boost over Citi 2%. Then noticed that it will pay an additional $100 if I spend $1500 in the first 3mos on it. I usually use these opportunities (rotating 5% categories) to buy grocery gift cards (max benefit: $75/yr = 5% x $1500).

So was again going to buy gift cards, but local grocery will no longer allow their gift cards to be bought with CCs---cash or debit only, which doesn't help me. Received a "No" answer.

Was first disappointed. But now I'm a little relieved that I no longer need to jump through this hoop. Why? The benefit was never that great. And I was always worried buying a bunch of grocery gift cards than might not be used for several months. Why? Anyone (store clerk) who knows the number can empty it. So was never relaxed until I'd spent the last gift card.

So while I'm a little disappointed, I'm more relieved. So will not be wasting time/worry playing this game going forward. So small "yea!".
Update. Went to another pharmacy in the same grocery chain for a covid booster. While there asked a manager if I could use a CC to buy their gift cards? Was told "Yes". (So above "No" was store dependent.)

Asked about security of gift cards and learned that new gift cards come with a scratch-off PIN number, so hard for someone to empty it if they don't physically have it. So as long as the PIN number is covered when purchases, I should be okay.

So purchased gift cards to max initial 3-mo spending required to get $100 bonus. It was found money. Hope uncle sugar and his nephews at state enjoy their windfall next year.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
elle

Post by elle »

pizzy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:07 am
elle wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:05 pm
brian91480 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:38 pm On vacation for a week. I bought cold cuts, bread, a few tomatoes, spinach and mustard. I've been making sandwiches all week for lunch. Money saved from not going out to lunch every day is helping pay for experiences while on vacation.

I'm not sure if this is frugal, or just a reallocation of resources... since the money saved on eating out is still being spent on experiences.

--- Brian
I do the same. But mine today was asking the kids where they wanted to go for dinner knowing they would say quick pick (for those Seattle-ites out there). Spent most of the weekend sick and in bed, so we have no breakfast, lunch, or dinner planned for the week. Quick pick is a cheaper option than any fast food joint out there. I also like to think it’s more healthy, but I’d say it lands healthier than McDonald’s but it definitely ain’t a salad!
McDonald's has salads. :wink:
That would require self control I don’t possess. I’m pretty sure I’d arrive intending on a salad and end up leaving with salad and 🍟 at a minimum! Lol
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Told the family we were going to by public bathroom toilet paper for savings!😂🤣

I learned this from Dave!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Our current frugality is changing to reflect attempting to "frugalize" stress in the current environment. That means spending more for an item that requires appearing in a convenient store rather than driving extra miles to save a few dollars, spending on "comfort" items, and basically not considering cost for reasonably inexpensive items over immediate convenience.

Tim
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Avoided Costco and Home Depot.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Replaced a toilet flapper myself. Even better a couple weeks ago I repaired my dishwasher myself.

It’s winter so I’m focused on the interior of my home - still furnishing it after almost three years since I bought it. I have the necessaries but am missing stuff like some guest room and library furnishings, accessories, wall art. I troll FB marketplace for high quality used things and have got some great bargains. Yesterday I spent $200 on end tables for my guest bedroom - design center-type fancy ones that would have cost thousands each new - and managed to get them to my house with a Home Depot truck. $25 for an hour and a half.
Carol88888

Post by Carol88888 »

I am walking everywhere in NYC because I am afraid of catching COVID on subway. On Monday I will go to my dentist appointment on foot even though it will take 2 hours to get there.

It's my form of multi-tasking: saving money and getting exercise at the same time.
Monsterflockster

tvubpwcisla wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:35 am Avoided Costco and Home Depot.
This is the only true frugal thing I’ve read in this thread. Good job on the restraint. :sharebeer
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

Carol88888 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:01 am I am walking everywhere in NYC because I am afraid of catching COVID on subway. On Monday I will go to my dentist appointment on foot even though it will take 2 hours to get there.

It's my form of multi-tasking: saving money and getting exercise at the same time.
You first say it’s because you are afraid of Covid. But then say it’s to save money and get exercise. Anyhow, I’m impressed you’d walk 4 hours round trip for a dental appointment. I’d reschedule to after current spike.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

I have a few extra family members at my house this weekend, and I fed everyone a potato and hamburger casserole using ingredients from my pantry and freezer. Easy and not too expensive!
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post discussing frugality for a mask (medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Also see: Please read before posting on coronavirus/COVID-19
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Fillmore

Post by Fillmore »

The Saturday edition of the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer is 4.95, the dollar store sells the week behind for 1.00 (I bought 1/9/22 edition today).

I mainly buy it for the real state articles and puzzles.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

I bought one donut, instead of two.
startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth »

Stuck with the plan to eat last night's leftovers for dinner tonight, even though we were ambivalent the first time around (a different brand of soy burger and not sure we'd buy it again). The leftovers turned out to be perfectly serviceable though and glad we didn't waste.
tvubpwcisla wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:35 am Avoided Costco and Home Depot.
I also want credit for picking up a prescription at Costco today and not buying anything else while I was there :happy
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Made riblets instead of ribs. Same cooking method and flavor, not quite the same eating experience, but close.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Minty

Post by Minty »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Another thing my wife did was check prices on various sizes of the same pill. Turned out that the pill for 2x the dosage she takes was only 10% more than the price for her dosage, and the pills can be broken in half. So she had the doc write a prescription for 45 of the bigger dosage, and she breaks them in half.

For her, Costco + GoodRX is cheapest, but she shops around every single time.
Excellent thoughts. My own frugality today: I remembered to look for a copay card for a relatively expensive prescription, and there was one, so I called the mail order pharmacy (Costco, coincidentally) and had them add it to my file. GoodRx has a list of copay cards with links. I take another super-expensive drug where the copay is $150, but a copay card reduces it to five bucks.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Yesterday, saw that the MCT Oil I use (Keto on!) was on sale - then they had a sign up for text, get 20% off offer, and buy over $50 for free shipping. got 4 bottles for $50, normally $26 or more a bottle. This morning I realized I forgot to order Milk Thistle for our dog (liver cancer), so I called to see if it could be added. Too late, but she took the order - buy one get one free, used the 20% off code I had gotten yesterday, and the $5 in points I had acquired They had a promotion for $12 of items I use, so i got that added. So, saved $$ today, even more yesterday. Oh, and put on my card for 2% cash back. :sharebeer
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Ate lunch at home instead of eating out.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Housecleaning bill went up 15.5% as of Jan 2022, so we're moving to a five-week interval from four.

(We aren't filthy animals, so it should be okay.)

Sad times when being frugal is spending the same amount of money and getting so much less for it, but here we are.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Not sure this is very frugal, but it is kind of interesting. I bought a frozen pizza on sale for $5 (regularly $6.99). It said "double pepperoni" on the box. When I took it out of the box, there were only half as many pepperoni slices on it versus as shown in the picture on the box. :( However, they were twice the thickness of what was shown in the picture, so I guess that's sort of okay. :?
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Made my own black coffee and a very good and spicy no-mayo egg salad sandwich with pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, hummus and avocado oil on hardcore whole kernel bread w cucumber. Making your own food is not that difficult after all.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

We’re having hamburgers tonight. Made at home, using Wagyu beef we got on sale for $4.95/lb. Yum!
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Today, Amazon had $200 Airbnb Gift Cards on sale for $180 each, with coupon code. Limit 1 per account, so DW and myself each bought one from our individual accounts. $40 discount plus additional 5% from my Amazon CC ($18) for a total of $58 saved. I have already applied the $400 on GC's to a reservation we have in May 2022. Easy Money!
:moneybag :moneybag :sharebeer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

DanMahowny wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 pm
BogleBoogie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:44 am I wouldn't consider the extra long shower "frugal", perhaps "wasteful."
Long showers are fantastic!

A long shower for me is typically about one hour.

Very relaxing. And cheap too- the cost of the water and gas to heat the water is small relative to the enjoyment.

Certainly not wasteful in my view.
I don’t know about being wasteful- long showers at the YMCA— I never saw the up hanging out in the shower room at a gym.
Monsterflockster

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:17 pm Made my own black coffee and a very good and spicy no-mayo egg salad sandwich with pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, hummus and avocado oil on hardcore whole kernel bread w cucumber. Making your own food is not that difficult after all.
Yeah… but those ingredients add up to one unfrugal sandwich. :beer
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

tooluser wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:13 pm Not sure this is very frugal, but it is kind of interesting. I bought a frozen pizza on sale for $5 (regularly $6.99). It said "double pepperoni" on the box. When I took it out of the box, there were only half as many pepperoni slices on it versus as shown in the picture on the box. :( However, they were twice the thickness of what was shown in the picture, so I guess that's sort of okay. :?
Try the Costco Kirkland frozen pepperoni pizza. $13 for 4 pizza’s and they are completely covered in pepperoni.