What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Allgood

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Allgood »

Bought two pairs of Ecco shoes at 50% off at the Outlet Mall.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Yesterday: Five Guys for lunch.

- Got the burger with mayo (free) instead of cheese ($0.70)
- Placed the order to go (saved 7.x% since fast food isn't taxed in Ohio if not eaten in the restaurant)
- No fries
- No drink
- Paid with a gift card purchased at Kroger with a Bank of America credit card (3.5% back on grocery purchases with Platinum Honors relationship, plus an additional 5% back thanks to a Kroger spending offer on the card).
timewarp

Post by timewarp »

I buy DAWN Dish Detergent as it is worth the extra cost and you end up using less less detergent. When the bottle is empty I unscrew the cap and throw the cap into the dishpan and draw hot water and there is more than enough detergent stuck on the cap to wash the dishes. As a bonus no waste to the environment either!
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 am I did try to wash it yesterday (50 degrees), but the hose was inside the garage and was still frozen.
Same here but found a place about 2 miles away that has a spray clean booth type car wash. Traveled recently to a place with tons of salt on the streets and car and underside was coated. Got 4 minutes of spray for $2 in quarters - which surprisingly more than enough time. This violated my normal frugal style but saved me dragging a half frozen hose across a muddy yard and turning the water to the faucet back on. I moved the thermostat down 2 degrees to offset this extravagance.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:02 pm
Alexa9 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 am
Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Frugal?!? You lost me at went to the gym.
Actually, I would count a gym membership as an excellent investment in your health, so I would consider it being frugal. Compare the cost of going to the gym to the cost of getting stents placed in your coronary arteries every five years and then having bypass surgery after the third stent.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make: frugality is relative, it's all in the eye of the beholder. My wife used to read a blog by a woman who preached that you should wash out all your plastic bags and save those little wire things that hold the bread bag closed. Turns out this woman had SIX CHILDREN. After I heard that, I stopped washing out my plastic bags.
I don’t see the connection?
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

Frugality is about cost effectiveness, not about being as cheap as possible no matter what.

Since I started going to the gym regularly, my medical expenses have dropped by several times the $35/month cost of the membership. Therefore, having and using a gym membership is, without question, the single most frugal thing I do.

Actually, I changed my mind. It’s a tossup between eating right and going to the gym. Both are very frugal, though.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:13 pm
Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.
Frugality is about cost effectiveness, not about being as cheap as possible no matter what.
Since I started going to the gym regularly, my medical expenses have dropped by several times the $35/month cost of the membership. Therefore, having and using a gym membership is, without question, the single most frugal thing I do.
Actually, I changed my mind. It’s a tossup between eating right and going to the gym. Both are very frugal, though.
Yes - that is an excellent way of interpreting "frugality"!!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Later this week, instead of driving to an appointment with my Optometrist, I will take advantage of two of my FREE one way trips (24 per year) paid for by my Medicare Advantage Plan -- they pay for Lyft!
njuser

Post by njuser »

manatee2005 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:49 pm
baconavocado wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:02 pm
Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

Actually, I would count a gym membership as an excellent investment in your health, so I would consider it being frugal. Compare the cost of going to the gym to the cost of getting stents placed in your coronary arteries every five years and then having bypass surgery after the third stent.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make: frugality is relative, it's all in the eye of the beholder. My wife used to read a blog by a woman who preached that you should wash out all your plastic bags and save those little wire things that hold the bread bag closed. Turns out this woman had SIX CHILDREN. After I heard that, I stopped washing out my plastic bags.
I don’t see the connection?
I think it's that children are a lot more expensive than plastic bags.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Others did this as well -

Back when bread came in (I think) wax paper, my maternal grandmother would flatten out the bread wrappers and save them (use them) for many different things.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

When I was in first grade, growing up in a wintry and wet climate, the plastic bread bags were used to help slide your foot into your rubber galoshes. They worked, and they were essentially free!

Once you wore a hole through the bag though, it was useless, and you could spend 5-10 minutes trying to push your foot into the boot. Worse, your foot could then get stuck halfway into the boot, and you couldn't get it out and couldn't push it in. Tears all around! Then a friend or teacher would help.

I save a few wire twisties for occasional use in tying up cords or bags. The rest go into the recycling bin for their steel content. I also save a few of the plastic chip thingies, for which there's a identification website for all the different kinds, but I rarely use them.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 pm Drove only downhill to work and put in neutral to save gas.
This doesn’t save gas, is dangerous, and mostly illegal.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/h ... l-economy/
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:16 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 pm Drove only downhill to work and put in neutral to save gas.
I added solar panels and no longer need gas.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Tuesday is Dollar day at picture show. Wife & I saw "Harriet". Total $2. Very good movie.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Went to the treadmill in our complex instead going to the “real” gym. Saved me $1 for the bus.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:23 pm
While you're at it, you should also drive backwards to reduce your car's mileage and increase its resale value.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:43 am
While you're at it, you should also drive backwards to reduce your car's mileage and increase its resale value.
I did see that in Ferris Bueller's Day Off!

:sharebeer
dm200

Post by dm200 »

True story - back many years ago, car odometers were mechanical - and I believe this actually worked. I never did it myself, but I recall that in college, when many students had rented a car for the weekend, I would often see cars with the powered wheels propped up and the car running in reverse.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

dm200 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:02 am
True story - back many years ago, car odometers were mechanical - and I believe this actually worked. I never did it myself, but I recall that in college, when many students had rented a car for the weekend, I would often see cars with the powered wheels propped up and the car running in reverse.
Actually, what I had in mind was driving around in reverse so that the odometer doesn't go up, rather than trying to "rewind" it--I think a character in the movie "Smoke Signals" did this. I'm curious whether that would work now...or if it ever actually worked.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Faith20879 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm OTOH, here is an un-frugal thing that I did.

I am a recreational jogger, meaning 3 times a week, 3 miles each time. I often see fellow joggers in these nice UA or Nike wicking shirts and wondered if they might actually add wings to my back in a hot summer day. I finally gave in and bought one. The shirt has gazillion labels attached illustrating how the titanium technology would "guide" away the moisture and yada yada.

To my utterly disappointment, the shirt is hardly breathable and sticks to my body through out the whole run. I had to keeping pull it down so that it does not rise up. Hi-tech or not, it is not for me. Wasted $45 on a nice fantasy.

Back to the cut-off T-shirts.
I am more of a long distance guy, and run in the Florida heat. I find the Old Navy sport tshirt/tank tops very good and can be had for $12 on sale. They look good and hold up to repeated washings.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Halicar wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:39 am
dm200 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:02 am
Actually, what I had in mind was driving around in reverse so that the odometer doesn't go up, rather than trying to "rewind" it--I think a character in the movie "Smoke Signals" did this. I'm curious whether that would work now...or if it ever actually worked.
It didn't work for Ferris Bueller: https://youtu.be/FVqqVlW1a34?t=104
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Not specifically today, but the past 31 days: My goal for 2020 is a 50% savings rate. One month in and I am well under budget. If I spend the same amount of money the remaining months as I did in January, I will actually reach 56%.
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

Replaced the anode rod on our water heater (maintenance that needs to be done on every water heater every few years).

Didn't have to pay someone to do it, but more importantly, greatly prolongs the life of water heaters.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I keep tax records going back 7 years. (Nothing happened that would require me to keep them longer.) Each year gets a different large envelope to hold the documents, so I have 7 envelopes.

I just started 2019 taxes, so I'm recycling the envelope from 1998 - 21 years old. Those envelopes should hold up for a few more cycles.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

Changed from AT&T as a cellular provider to Mint Mobile which saves my family roughly $600 per year...but what sealed the deal for me was that Mint Mobile offered me 3 months of free service if I signed up on Super Bowl Sunday... :sharebeer
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I used coupons at the market. I cut a grocery bill by 20%.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
brandy

Post by brandy »

Many years ago, Teens who went too far (miles) would sometimes stop on the way home and roll the odometer back enough miles so they wouldn't get grounded... It must have worked, those kids were still alive years later! 8-)
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

I spent $10.50 on a beer at the movie theater instead of $14 for the soda/popcorn combo.
brandy

Post by brandy »

I'm about to make a mailing envelope from a large brown paper bag. Using the USPS priority mail envelopes the cost would be $7.50. This should be less-that $7.50 will carry up to 70 pounds. What I have is probably less than a pound. AND, I have a stamp $3.85 that might cover the cost to mail the brown paper package instead.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

brandy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:49 pm I'm about to make a mailing envelope from a large brown paper bag. Using the USPS priority mail envelopes the cost would be $7.50. This should be less-that $7.50 will carry up to 70 pounds. What I have is probably less than a pound. AND, I have a stamp $3.85 that might cover the cost to mail the brown paper package instead.
Bear in mind there is a limit to what you can mail from your home with stamps. But, set up an account at the USPS and you can produce a label that will be accepted for mailing. Very easy to setup.

I know this because I mailed a book over 13 oz (?) using stamps that my very helpful mail carrier took, and converted to the label that worked on her own. I don't think the current mail carrier would have done that for me. My carrier that was so helpful was able to get a route closer to her home, so we lost her.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
KaskadeForever

Post by KaskadeForever »

Today I purchased something for 99 cents. I gave the cashier a one dollar bill. She asked “do you want your penny back?” I said yes.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 pm I spent $10.50 on a beer at the movie theater instead of $14 for the soda/popcorn combo.
In my book, choosing $14 for a beer instead of $10.50 for the soda/popcorn combo is still frugal.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:39 pm I spent $10.50 on a beer at the movie theater instead of $14 for the soda/popcorn combo.
In my book, choosing $14 for a beer instead of $10.50 for the soda/popcorn combo is still frugal.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I bought some vintage collectible postage stamps at less than their face value. Since they can still be used as postage, I wasn't even technically spending on something :D

I've often wondered why people sell vintage stamps at less than face value on sites like Ebay.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Caduceus wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:20 pm I bought some vintage collectible postage stamps at less than their face value. Since they can still be used as postage, I wasn't even technically spending on something :D

I've often wondered why people sell vintage stamps at less than face value on sites like Ebay.
I used Uber again today - twice. Both rides were relatively inexpensive. I did not tip.

I did give each driver 5 stars. There is no charge for giving a rating.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

KaskadeForever wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:29 pm Today I purchased something for 99 cents. I gave the cashier a one dollar bill. She asked “do you want your penny back?” I said yes.
I always ask for the penny too. I also stoop down and pick them up off the pavement. Back when I was still working I quit doing this for awhile, but now that I’m retired I resumed this activity.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

KaskadeForever wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:29 pm Today I purchased something for 99 cents. I gave the cashier a one dollar bill. She asked “do you want your penny back?” I said yes.
I found a quarter and a nickle outside in the parking lot today. This really made my day.

It is really amazing what a free 30 cents can do to your mood.

So I am up 30 cents today (so far...).
50/50

Post by 50/50 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:35 pm I keep tax records going back 7 years. (Nothing happened that would require me to keep them longer.) Each year gets a different large envelope to hold the documents, so I have 7 envelopes.

I just started 2019 taxes, so I'm recycling the envelope from 1998 - 21 years old. Those envelopes should hold up for a few more cycles.
I do something similar, I use the brown expandable folders and keep the records for 10 years. I just started my 2019 folder that began life in 1989 and then used again in '99, 2009 and now 2019 so thirty years and counting for this folder.
Thou shalt take no risks that thou needest not take. Seek wisdom not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Dimmed the back light on the LED television while watching movies to save electricity!
Boglehobby

Post by Boglehobby »

I put on more layer of clothes rather than turn on the heater to heat the entire house
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Walked into the laundry room and didn't turn on the light...….saved $0.00003. I did stub my toe but what the heck.....saving is saving..... :sharebeer
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Today:
I had my Costco-purchased Starbucks pot of drip “Mr Coffee”. Cost @ 1.00
My Costco-purchased large omelet and later steak. Cost @ $4.00
Read my eBay-purchased WSJ. Yearly cost @ $80
Swim in my condo pool . Cost 0.0
I have lived in my paid-for condo for forty years. Property tax Low
I have a 2001 Honda Accord that is the best car I have ever owned. Cost Low

Monday and Tuesday:
I will hike in the Palos Verdes Filorium. Cost 0.0
I will listen to free audio books from Hoopla. Cost 0.0
I will use my Walmart purchased headphones on my iPhone. Cost $15 for 2 of them.
I will play tennis in my condo tennis courts. Cost @ 1.00 for tennis balls.
Tennis shoes and hiking shoes purchased at Walmart and/or Costco. $15 or $20 a piece.
I will do a little painting and caulking in my condo. Cost @ $20

This week:
I will watch tubi.com, borrowed Neflix and kanopy.com. Cost 0.0
I will receive flowers via costco.com for girlfriend. Cost $65
She lives 100 yards away. Travel time minimal. Cost 0.0
We nearly always eat in. Cost Low
When we go out we do In-N-Out, Chipotle and Thai. Cost $8 to $25
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:12 pm What do you think hot dogs are made of?
Vincent Ludwig’s ring finger.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

Trader Joe wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:37 pm
I found a quarter and a nickle outside in the parking lot today. This really made my day.

It is really amazing what a free 30 cents can do to your mood.

So I am up 30 cents today (so far...).
Did you try to find the rightful owner before pocketing it?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

50/50 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:50 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:35 pm I keep tax records going back 7 years. (Nothing happened that would require me to keep them longer.) Each year gets a different large envelope to hold the documents, so I have 7 envelopes.

I do something similar, I use the brown expandable folders and keep the records for 10 years. I just started my 2019 folder that began life in 1989 and then used again in '99, 2009 and now 2019 so thirty years and counting for this folder.
Every year I get a free empty wine box (13"Lx12"W, contained a dozen bottles) from the local liquor store. Cut off the bottom 6" and put that into the bottom of a desk drawer (opposite this PC). As receipts/bills come in, they get paid/recorded (Managing Your Money, '95-vintage orphaned personal financial mgmt s/w) and tossed into the box. After the tax year the box gets shelved in a basement closet. Should really probably begin shredding the records from the '80s....
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Broken Man 1999

I just renewed my subscription to Bloomberg Businessweek for another year (50 issues) for $2.00. I have renewed at this rate for years. Once a year I get a notice my subscription is going to increase to $103 for the year via a postcard from a magazine services company. I call in to cancel, and I am automatically offered another year of magazines for $2.00. So I renew. I have done this for several years. Nice thing is I can do it all without talking to anyone via my keypad. So, no one is trying to convince me to renew at the much higher rate.

For a long time I have considered Bloomburg Businessweek my "poor-man's" substitute for The Economist. The Economist typically has some pricey terms to subscribe. Last year I snagged a year's subscription to The Economist for $49, which I was glad to pay. Now supposedly my subscription will be renewed for $49. We shall see. If I can't find a good rate for The Economist, I'll still have my poor-man's substitute.

Several years ago when I started all trhis, I was offered 5 magazines for $10 total for year-long subscriptions. Over the years some magazines ceased printing (Money), and some I just lost interest in reading. So I'm now down to just the one.

All in all Bloomburg Businessweek is pretty good if you like reading about such things as they cover. I do, so it is $2.00 well spent for me.

The company can offer these rates I suppose as their ads are driven by subscription numbers, and I do subscribe. The magazine need eyeballs, the more the better.

Works for me.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Broken Man 1999

dratkinson wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:34 am
50/50 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:50 pm

Every year I get a free empty wine box (13"Lx12"W, contained a dozen bottles) from the local liquor store. Cut off the bottom 6" and put that into the bottom of a desk drawer (opposite this PC). As receipts/bills come in, they get paid/recorded (Managing Your Money, '95-vintage orphaned personal financial mgmt s/w) and tossed into the box. After the tax year the box gets shelved in a basement closet. Should really probably begin shredding the records from the '80s....
Great idea. I would suggest one change: Buy a case of wine, drink it all, THEN use the box!

Broken Man 1999
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Parked in a space with 30 minutes left on meter. Used coins to add time as using a credit card would have reset the meter :sharebeer
Gullet Fixer

Post by Gullet Fixer »

We rarely eat out
-Made yoghurt at home ( for years)
I make breakfast smoothies for the family: frozen wild blueberries from Costco, Greek yoghurt, ripe bananas, kale, almond milk, peanut butter and cinnamon. Tastes good, low cost and you get 3 servings of fruit/ veg
-Planning to make lentil soup; takes care of my week’s lunches
- I also do exercise videos at home- no need to go to gym; saves time and money
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

In the past, the tree company I use has seemed to be the most expensive, but I like their work, their professionalism and their safety protocols. I even get the same crew out each time if I ask, which I do. So, I decided to get multiple bids on having my 13 oaks and misc. assorted pines cleared of dead wood and pruned back a bit where they are over the communication lines (not electrical). The bids this time ran from $1956 to $3845.

Surprisingly, my usual company this time was the least expensive so I am signing the contract. The arborist did recommend, which I am following not doing to much to the chestnut oak which is dying and a white oak in the back since any dead wood will fall on vacant land...he doesn't know I am thinking of having them take it out in a few years...the $2,000 savings will come in handy since in a few weeks I am having an energy audit done of the house with plans to seal air leaks and reinstate the attic.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631